[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG January 18th Banlist Prediction: Modern: Amulet of Vigor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 7
File: banned.png (54 KB, 320x258) Image search: [Google]
banned.png
54 KB, 320x258
MtG January 18th Banlist Prediction:

Modern: Amulet of Vigor banned. Bloodbraid Elf and Jace, the Mind Sculptor unbanned.

Legacy: No changes

Vintage: Preordain restricted. Yawgmoth's Bargain unrestricted.
>>
Why would Jace get unbanned now?
>>
>>44784266
Is Jace really THAT much better than Lili? I think not
>>
I really dont think jace should still be banned, blue has no real presence other than a combo deck which jace is too slow for.

Also ban amulet plox
>>
File: 40 oras.jpg (37 KB, 600x520) Image search: [Google]
40 oras.jpg
37 KB, 600x520
>>44784454
>mfw such shitty ass bait
>>
>>44784053
>>44784053
>bbe unbanned
are you stupid? bbe is just too good. Makes Jund the top dog and the value just wrecks everyone. Imagine cascading into a Kommand. Think about how good that would feel. The value is just crazy.
Now imagine your opponent cascading into a Kommand. Think about how much that would fuck you.

also no way amulet would be banned over summer bloom. Amulet in theory allows for some janky fun. Bloom is super powerful and the strongest combo enabler in the deck.
>>
>>44784266
Because he comes into play the turn most decks win.
"JACE IS OP BEST WALKER EVER" is a meme, CAWBlade lost to Twin in standard, guess what's one of Modern's dominant decks?
>>
>tfw wizards will never unban pod
>>
>>44784635
Kommand is overrated anyway. Once it rotates out of standard, everyone will forget it exists, and it will be a bulk rare just like every other Command that isn't Cryptic.
>>
>>44785226
And either way, most people will still be playing Robots, Tron, or Twin anyway. Jund is losing popularity, and has been ever since the ban of Deathrite.
>>
>>44785226
>kommand is overrated
It's an automatic 2-for-1 every single time you cast it. It provides automatic card advantage no matter what. It's also super strong against robots.
>>44785304
okay so it's not a good meta for jund, but it's still a top player in the format. It's extremely strong with a good matchup against a huge amount of the field. It's interactive, complex and can get some serious value from the plays. It actually doesn't need such a huge buff as bbe.
>bbe cascades into lili
jesus christ.
>>
>>44785707
>It's an automatic 2-for-1 every single time you cast it. It provides automatic card advantage no matter what. It's also super strong against robots.
And it doesn't matter because Grixis is a joke and Jund really does have better things to do with it's mana.
>>
Ban bloom, unban SotM
>>
>>44785727
Every single jund list on mtgtop8 for the last several months have been running, at minimum, two Kommands. It's a very strong, interactive card that is powerful at every single point of the game where you are able to cast it.
>>
>>44785773
If BBE were unbanned it would replace the commands because yes, BBE>LotV is sickening and much better than BBE>Command.
>>
>>44785932
You don't think it would replace the Huntsmasters (when run) or P&K (when run) or Olivia/Tasigur (when run)? I feel they're way more relevant when judging bbe than kommand. That is to say, an aggressive 4drop that has a strong impact on the board. Or is a savage 3-for-1 in the case of bbe.
Of course, you think kommand is a bad card and I don't know what fucking whack version of magic you're playing but you can be wrong about more things than just that.
>>
>>44784888
Guess what's one of Legacy's Dominant decks? MOTHERFUCKING STONEBLADE.

Btw, the reason why Twin ended up seeing more play than Caw-Blade is precisely because SFM and Jace ended up getting banned in standard. My god you're autistic.
>>
>>44785984
Watch it become a 50c bulk rare after DTK rotates (or when rotation gets closer). Take Siege Rhino and Tasigur, for instance.
>>
>>44786061
Ok first off, Kommand sees ALOT more play than either of those cards. Second, neither of them are 50c. Tass is $4 and Siege is $3.
>>
>>44786110
Also, both were in preconstructed decks. Stoneforge fell from $20 to $3 for a while for the same reason. Now she's $40.
>>
>>44786061
no way. That's seriously fucked in the head.
It will drop, but look how many decks it is played in outside of standard.
http://mtgtop8.com/search
>>
>>44786035
Because of Mom, Jitte and Force, not because of Jace.
And it's not dominant, it hasn't placed well in years, wanna speak shit talk about BUG, and that shit isn't dominant because of Jace either, more Hymn, Shardless, Tarmo and Lilly.

Bitterblossom sure needs to be banned again because Fairies is so OP and invincible!
>>
>>44786127
>Now she's $40.
She'll be $10 when she's not unbanned and the GP promos start circulating.
>>
>>44786149
>http://mtgtop8.com/search
About half as many as Tasigur. Which dropped to $4.
>>
>>44785226
Lol.

Kolaghan's Command sees more play than Cryptic in Eternal formats, actually.
>>
>>44786220
If you honestly believe Tass will stay at $4 for much longer, you're actually retarded. It'll be $15-20 easy within a year after it rotates.
>>
>>44786318
Shut up.

Tasigur was a fad, just like Eldrazi Control is now.
>>
>>44786431
Seriously, the people who compared Tass to Goyf are the same idiots who are now comparing Though-Knot Seer to Clique.
>>
>>44786318
Yes SCG shill, whatever. I'm sure the eldrazi will be worth thoudands too and we have to buy them all from scgdotcom right now too.
>>
>>44784888
You are full of shit. Twin lost to Cawblade you dingus.
>>
>>44787084
Exactly this. The Eldrazi fad now is the Tasigur fad all over again.
>>
I love how everyone's BAWWing over Jace tMS and BBE, yet nobody has said a word about Yawgmoth's FUCKING Bargain.
>>
>>44787326
>pay one life to draw a card
>6 CMC enchantment

Really? You'd nearly kill yourself before that could become useful in formats like Legacy and Modern.
>>
>>44787674
>he doesn't know

Oh, child, the things I could tell you about that card.
>>
>>44786035
>MOTHERFUCKING STONEBLADE
But... it is miracles?
>>
>>44787326
I need to combo and ant is too slow.
>>
>>44786183
what stoneblade deck runs mom
>>
File: 1446606027454.png (27 KB, 480x188) Image search: [Google]
1446606027454.png
27 KB, 480x188
>>44787674
/tg/ everybody
>>
>>44784635
A 4-mana creature that gives value? Oh perish the thought, cards that encourage interactive, grindy decks need to be banned!
Now look at Burn, Tron and other linear, brainless decks.
That's the ticket! Players want to win, having to think and losing because you suck isn't fun.
>>
>>44786035
>Stoneblade
>Dominant
>anno domini zweitausendundsechzehn
Why are Modern players all brainless retards?
I guess you have to be, to play that dogshit format.
>>
>>44784888
>Cawblade lost to Twin
Is this retard baiting or just truly incapable of two seconds of thought?
>>
>>44785707
>it's an automatic 2-for-1
Wow, stop the fucking presses, we need to slap Contradicts into every Storm deck!
Hint: It doesn't fucking matter it's good at grinding if people just don't give a shit. FoW is always a 1-for-2 but its impact on decks outweighs that drawback
>>
>>44787674
This is bait. No one is this bad at Magic
>>
>>44785226
Kolaghan's Command is a really big thorn in the side for Miracles, aka. the best deck in Legacy. It won't die.
>>
>>44789596
What's the point of encouraging good value threats when Modern has a dire lack of good value answers? Great, Bloodbraid Elf is banned. Now what? Does control become better? No, all that happens is dumb sideways decks become better.
>>
>>44789596
>interactive, value decks
Contradiction in terms.
Die memerange player, die.
>>
>>44786035
Stoneblade hasn't even been a relevant deck for over a year, if not longer. It's bottom of the barrel tier 2, if that.
>>
>>44787326
We're talking about formats people actually play
>>
>>44789717
Except that it's not that good against miracles, and no one runs it
>>
What kind of tweaks would be put into storm decks if Yawgy Bargy were to be unbanned?
>>
>>44787326
I'm just trying to wrap my head around why anyone would think that was safe to unrestrict when storm is already top dog.

>>44787991
Yawg Bargain in legacy would make Storm the best deck by leagues
>>
>>44790830
You would run 4, would no longer have to run AN so you can have a higher curve. You could run more copies of tendrils because a tendrils for 4-6 with yawg bargain in play is lethal
>>
>>44790870
I think mana wise you go towards TES, run more red rituals and chrome mox
>>
Why restrict preordain? It's the only thing keeping mentor afloat
>>
File: 233.jpg (49 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
233.jpg
49 KB, 312x445
Stuffy did nothing wrong!
>>
>>44790958
He's unbanned now. Go build monoblue stasis/vice
>>
>>44788049
Bant stoneblade maybe. But realistically any version that's trying to go low to the ground. Its just not too common
>>
>>44790769
Old people are people too!
>>
>>44790895
Blue can't have nice things, unless they are creatures.
But that doesn't explain unban on JtMS, so I don't know what's going on.
>>
>>44784053
AmVigor-agreed, either this or Bloom needs to go.

BBE-Jund is already tier 1, so no

Jace 2.0-and so is Twin

Preordain- are you salty about getting 2-0'd by Mentor or something?

Bargain- maybe. It's just Griselbrand in enchantment form for one less mana, after all.
>>
>>44791115
OP is clearly playing Twin and Jund in Modern, and Storm in Vintage.
>>
>>44791099
Some people don't enjoy curving best 2 drop creature into best 3 drop creature.
>>
>>44791186
Has no one on /TG/ played with yawg bargain?
>>
>>44791249
Only on cube.

Also who's /TG/?
>>
>>44790998
In legacy pls.
>>
>>44786183
Miracles. Miracles is the deck we care about when assessing Jace in legacy.
>>
I know that SFM isn't a problem in Legacy, and that it's probably kosher for Modern: especially with Kommand blowouts being a thing. But I don't think it's getting unbanned, because Wizards probably still thinks it's a "Legacy staple" and that it's "too powerful for Modern".

My predicition for three days from now? No change.
>>
My personal opinion/expectation is that we will see Summer Bloom banned, SFM and Ancestral Visions unbanned.

We won't see JTMS unbanned in Modern until WotC figures out how to reprint it with enough supply to meet the demand for it due to secondary market prices.

It's printed in the next MM along with a bunch of Modern staples and it has a full/normal print run like its a new set.
>>
>>44787674
>draw-a-card at instant speed
>in a format with rituals
>lotus
>moxen
>and tendrils

you might be fucking retarded
once this hits the board it becomes impossible for the opponent to win because
>opponent tries to interact
>interaction on the stack, response i draw a card
now you can dig for an answer or a redundant combo piece every time they try to interact with your sequence using a card that isn't named 'Trickbind'
>>
>>44793104
You don't yawg bargain and look for answers, you yawg bargain and they die. I had 18 life and no mana after resolving yawg bargain. I then tendrils'd myopponent to death. Drawing 17 cards is a hell of a drug
>>
>Kozilek's Return is a $25 card and it's not even released yet

Why god
>>
>>44793945
Because it effectively pushes every aggro deck not named Junk down a tier.
>>
>>44794276
Also, inb4 Siege Rhino and Tasigur spike
>>
>>44784053
I think people overreact to Yawgmoth's Bargain in Legacy. Bargain at least would certainly not break any existing Storm deck in Legacy: ANT doesn't want any luck involved in its combo 90% of the time, since it just wins with Past in Flames loop, and TES has Ad Nauseam, which is 1 mana cheaper and better for drawing cards, given that the deck's average CMC (excluding the Ad Nauseam itself, since you can't draw it) is less than 1.

Sure, it might create some new combo deck, but in order to be more efficient than Ad Nauseam it needs to be drawing expensive cards (Force comes to mind). This evokes thoughts of a Reanimator-like shell with permission and a fast combo finish, but Griselbrand exists with practically the same effect, while also being an absurdly powerful creature and being far easier to cheat into play. Maybe U/B Show and Tell, since Bargain is harder to remove? Either way, it seems almost certainly safe.
>>
>>44794354
Actually it kills both of them on the flashback
>>
>>44784635
I play Esper Control and BBE cascading into K Command literally means nothing to me.
>>
>>44794685
Still, Junk is completely unaffected by KR's 1st effect, bar a Relic'd Goyf. I doubt KR will completely wipe aggro off the Modern map, and if it does, you can bet your sweet ass Wizards will ban that shut faster than you can say Dig Through Time.
>>
>>44794675
Have you watched the banned series where Durward plays ANT with yawg bargain? It wins the game on the spot roughly every time.

ANT prefers a PIF kill because it's deterministic, but there are a lot of times when it isn't possible so you go for the AN kill. Most of the time that gets there. With bargain you are able to play multiple tendrils. You can crack LED when you draw them then keep drawing. If you get to 4 mana and cast a tendrils with storm 4-5, it's going to be lethal because now you're drawing 8-10 more cards.

Test it out, it's almost impossible to lose with a bargain out. If you're show and telling out an enchantment, try omni
>>
>>44795261
Ah, that's true, my mistake. I hadn't considered that drawing cards in multiple "batches" would turn LED into an actual Lotus.

I'm still not sure how oppressive it is. Sure, you win 100% of the time if it resolves, but how many times have you seen TES lose off of an Ad Nauseam? Certainly less than 10%. How about Tin Fins off of a Griz? I don't think I've *ever* seen that.
>>
If Ancestral Visions gets unbanned I'm literally making Iliketodrawcards.dec
>>
File: dread-return-640x280.png (368 KB, 640x280) Image search: [Google]
dread-return-640x280.png
368 KB, 640x280
Can I have Dread Return by now?
>>
>>44795866
No! Dredge is a horribly uninteractive deck on the same level as Storm. Instead of Dread Return why dont you try out more creature based strategies Anon?
>>
>>44796432
So is Twin.
>>
>>44796692
This
>>
>>44784053
>Modern
Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic unbanned.
Force of Will, Wasteland, and Stifle are now legal in the format and will be an emergency reprint in the next available set
>>
Twin is one of the most interactive decks in the format when it isn't casting Splinter Twin. The deck that can be accused of being uninteractive in Modern are:

>Affinity
>Burn
>Bloom
>Tron
>Goryo's
>Infect
>Ad Nauseam
>Living End
>Scapeshift

So most of the format, essentially. Nothing but dull linear decks that want to only pay lip service to their opponent. Affinity runs Thoughtseize, Burn runs Revelry. But even then, they only run them so their opponent can't stop them from winning in an uninteractive way. The format is so dull.
>>
File: 1408978323719.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1408978323719.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>44796432
So Twin is allowed to instawin by turn four only because it counters your spells and burns your creatures? Okay.
>>
>>44796880
Affinity, Burn and Infect will die as soon as Kozilek's Return is released. Bloom is most likely to take a big hit on the banlist. Goryo's, Living End, and Scapeshift are irrelevant. So that leaves Ad Nauseum and Tron.
>>
>>44792267
>My personal opinion/expectation is that we will see Summer Bloom banned, SFM and Ancestral Visions unbanned.

A piece of bloom MIGHT get banned, but there is no way in hell stoneforge is ever coming off the banlist, it's far too powerful. Honestly don't know why people are expecting it to, it's not even the safest target for an unban, sword of the meek is.
>>
>>44794685
>Actually it kills both of them on the flashback
Like that was the problem with tron, that casting ulamog wasn't enough value.

It's a shit card.
>>
>>44796989
>Affinity, Burn and Infect will die as soon as Kozilek's Return is released.

"no"

That card is hot garbage, it comes down a turn too late, and by the time it gets played from the bin the game is effectively over.
>>
>>44796989
>Affinity, Burn and Infect will die as soon as Kozilek's Return is released
Justify this comment when shit like Pyroclasm and Volcanic Fallout have existed for years.
>>
>>44796992
If SFM comes back, Affinity will be tier 0. Search Plating? Splash SoFI and Batterskull? Yes please.
>>
File: 1450583535470.png (244 KB, 300x414) Image search: [Google]
1450583535470.png
244 KB, 300x414
>>44797054
I don't know if it pushes affinity to the next level, but I do think the next tier 0 decks plays it and has approximately 40% meta share or more.
>>
>>44797103
Stoneblade would be shit in Modern without Jace, Mom, Jitte, and FoW
>>
>>44797156
I think it won't be tier 0, but Stoneforge will probably bring D&T to tier 1. Vial + Thalia, Revoker, and Mystic is a hell of a drug. Would probably run more Vryn Wingmare than the Legacy build due to the lack of Wasteland and Port, at the expense of other now mediocre curve-toppers like Brimaz (since you lose Karakas).
>>
>>44795396
Tin fins doesn't usually fizzle once they get going, but I've fizzled off an ad nauseam maybe 20% of the time. The reason why bargain would be more oppressive is because ANT shells are infinitely more resilient
>>
>>44796432
I like how no one got that this was sarcasm. 10/10.
>>
>>44797257
D&T would be T1 no doubt. Stoneblade is missing too many pieces to compete in Modern.
>>
>>44796938
Twin is what's called a "helmet" deck. In that the whole strategy is about "protecting the castle".
>>
You fags do realize that if Twin didn't exist, modern would be nothing but decks trying to kill you on turn 2?

We don't have force of will so we have to have some kind of police deck.
>>
>>44797156
>Stoneblade would be shit in Modern without Jace, Mom, Jitte, and FoW

Its guaranteed value, and can toolbox. Must kill threat as soon as it comes down, it would break modern.
>>
>>44796880
>Affinity
Technically, but affinity is really fun to play against, it is the best version of tapping creatures.
>Scapeshift
What? are you confusing the word interactive with 'decks you don't like'?
>>
>>44796938
Anybody who tries to twin on turn 4 is insane or has a tapped out opponent.
>>
Why do I enjoy casting Life from the Loam so much
>>
>>44784053
Sword of the Meek is easily the worst card on the list. Unban and give us Tezz Control.
>>
>>44797048
To be fair wrt. affinity, it hits Etched Champion
Too slow vs. most else though
>>
>>44796692
>twin
>un-interactive

Kek
>>
>>44798358
If Affinity were a person, he'd have gotten so many speeding tickets by now...
>>
>>44786061

>Take Siege Rhino and Tasigur, for instance.

Rhino and regular Tasigur sure but foil Tasigur's will remain high.
>>
>>44801958
Nah. Look at Eidolon, for instance. Tasigur and Rhino will both be around $8-10 nonfoil and $30+ foil when they settle. Creatures that are played in Eternal formats usually do. And it just happens that KTK and FRF have lots of those, probably the most since ZEN and WWK.
>>
>>44802654
Of course, I'm by no means saying that FRF is as good as WWK, because that would just be dumb. However, I do think that KTK is even better than ZEN was.
>>
>>44799770
pure value, possibly the durdliest card in existence
>>
>>44792267
I don't understand why they don't do this for Modern Masters anyway. How much extra are they really making by selling it at inflated prices to just local stores vs how much would they make putting it on shelves at Wal-Mart and stuff for normal price? I just can't think the math there is right.
>>
>>44803767
They aren't making more on it, really. It's limited because if it had a full print run, they insist that some nameless boogeyman will raise hell and take some vaguely defined action that would be REALLY BAD, but they can't really talk about it and they can't talk about why they can't talk about it.

Also, if they sold it at Wal-Mart the casuals would get confused and show up to FNM with modern cards in their kitchen table standard decks, and get confused when they get DQ'd because it was right there with the rest of the booster packs. Never mind that they also sell duel decks and shit at Wal-Mart, and that's never really been a problem.
>>
>>44791972
The real problem I have with SFM isn't powerlevel, it's that it hurts deck diversity. There's no reason to not just add 4 SFM, a Batterskull, and a Sword to every deck. It's a small 6-card package that's incredibly easy to splash, and often results in free wins.
>>
Just traded my 2 Stoneforges for 2 onslaught polluted delta's. Good or bad trade?
>>
>>44805933
>ly. It's limited because if it had a full print run, they insist that some nameless boogeyman will raise hell and take some vaguely defined action that would be REALLY BAD, but they can't really talk about it and they can't talk about why they can't talk about it.
>Also, if they sold it at Wal-Mart the casuals would get confused and show up to FNM with modern cards in their kitchen table standard decks, and get confused when they get DQ'd because it was right there with the rest of the booster packs. Never mind that they also sell duel decks and shit at Wal-Mart, and that's never really been a problem.
>>>
> Anonymous
>>44805933
Great trade. Stoneforge isn't coming back, Zenith and Pod are still banned, and Stoneforge leaves those two cards in the dust. Delta will only rise in price, while SFM will drop back down to $15-20 after WoTC announces that it isn't getting unbanned on Monday.
>>
>>44805933
The reason why Stoneforge is the GP promo isn't because it's coming off the Modern banlist (it isn't). The reason why it's the promo is the same reason Jitte was a few years back- Legacy D&T players love their promos.
>>
>>44806135
Well, they don't have to drop thousands of dollars on their manabases alone, might as well use that money to pimp shit out.
>>
>>44792267
>if I keep saying SFM in every single thread it will come true!
fuck off
>>
>>44797048
Remember ug infect have counterspells anon.
>>
>>44806629
Exactly. And Affinity has Nexuses and Day's Undoing, while Burn has...well, burn spells.
>>
>>44805933
Sweet justice, I'm glad I sold these tonight. I'm also upset that I didn't wait one more day to offload an oblivion stone, but whatever
>>
>Cloud of Faeries ban
Literally what the fuck, blue is dominant in pauper because of delver and gush, cloud was used in one single deck.

Not quite fringe but I wouldn't but it nearly all that popular.

I swear WOTC does pauper banlists by one faggot getting butthurt he lost to a single deck once.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.