[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you rather have >generic weapons within an array of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1450315266885.jpg (33 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
1450315266885.jpg
33 KB, 736x552
Would you rather have

>generic weapons within an array of single, very specific and varied groups (i.e. 5 different types of swords with their own separate categories, or at least the group "swords")

>more mechanically special/unique weapons within wider groups (unique weapons that are considered to be part of a group like Light Melee regardless of actual weapon type)

>build-your-own-weapon type deal where everything is not only unclassified, but also can be potentially unbalanced (i.e. a sword isn't mechanically a sword but a melee-edged-strength-physical weapon)
>>
>>44733891
bit of one, bit of two - mostly a group of a few main variants, and one or two special/unique ones that have very different styles.
>>
>>44733891
Second one. I like weapons with thought and history behind them.
>>
bump
>>
I like broad, simple groups. 1 hand sword, 2 hand sword, 1 hand ax, 2 hand ax, 1 hand spear, 2 hand spear, ect.

I don't feel like most systems need much more than that. Maybe a few special rules weapons, but no more than absolutely necessary.
>>
>>44733891
I'm actually in the process of creating a skill system for a combat system where weapons are broken into groups. Its for a low fantasy setting. Tell me what you think, /tg/? Axes & Picks, Bows, Chains & Lashes, Crossbows, Firearms, Hammers & Maces, Improvised Weapons, Polearms, Siege weapons, Staves, Swords, Thrown Weapons, or Unarmed.
>>
>>44733891
I prefer the last one. Because usually designers fuck up even the weapon rules, like in 5e when a spear has no reach
>>
I love the way Legends of the Wulin does it. At base, it has a few simple and broad weapon tags, like Ranged, Massive, Flexible, Unarmed, Sword or Staff. Each provides some basic stats and abilities and works on its own.

But you can combine the tags to make Special Weapons. What does a Ranged/Spear look like? How does your Kung fu let your fists count as Flexible/Unarmed?

Each combination has a distinct and flavourful set of abilities, and even if some are optimal almost all of them work just fine. If you want to get even more special than that there are Legendary Weapons, but those get somewhat more complex.
>>
>>44736448
>When a spear has no reach
Short spears shouldn't have reach. Long spears have reach. If you don't like the rules ask your DM if you can wield a reach weapon. Its that simple.
>>
>>44736277
I'd agree with the dubs guy.
I'm a WFRP 2e. Slut and I kinda like the system there. Special rules should be easy to incorporate and would probably go down to things like - armor piercing, disarming, balanced, stealth and some quality modifiers.
>>
>>44733891
How does that gun work?
Does it fire all the barrels at once or are they supposed to rotate?
>>
>>44733891
The second one. I like having a unique weapon, but there should be some carry over to other types.

>>44736392
Thrusting Swords, Slashing Swords, and Greatswords all handle differently.
Axes, Picks, Hammers, and Maces all handle similarly.
I'd say at least drop Improvised and Lashes, unless Lashes are a common weapon.
>>
>>44738442
Likely static barrels that fire one at a time
>>
>>44738442
either >>44738793 or all at the same time
it shows no signs of being able to rotate
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.