[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am not a good GM I've only run a couple games for some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 7826870_f520.jpg (94 KB, 520x354) Image search: [Google]
7826870_f520.jpg
94 KB, 520x354
I am not a good GM
I've only run a couple games for some friends and I just can't to seem to get the hang of it.
Would running a quest on /tg/ be good practice?
Also I am a shit writer
>>
>>44712662
You sound perfect for the job.
>>
> I just can't to seem to get the hang of it.

Do you prepare things ahead of time, or do you improvise as you go.
>>
>>44712684
I try to improv a little but so far I've just run the books as told
We have been playing Age of Rebellion
Started with the Beginners Game and moved on to the Operation Shadowpoint stuff
This is all of our first time playing a ttrpg
>>
>>44712662
Practice makes perfect OP
>>
>>44712662
You're hired. Make sure it has something to do with anime characters. Lesbians and lolis are also a huge plus. Have romanceable characters too.
>>
>>44712662
What would the quest be about?
>>
>>44713042
Star Wars
set in the Old Republic but far enough away from KotOR and TOR that they wont have any effect on the story
the Galaxy would be split between the small but powerful Republic at the Core, the Hutt Empire covering most of the Outer Rim, and the Wilds in between, which consist of systems that rule themselves and some multisystem governments but none that would be considered a Galactic power.
The Jedi would be set on a planet in the Wilds and serve across all 3 sections as advisers.
The player character would be a young Padawan joining their Master on one of the independent planets that is on the brink of civil war.
>>
>>44713410
>Padawan
Bounty Hunter a best
>>
>>44713681
Well if that's the way the players wanted to go it would be a possible outcome
>>
>>44712662
So just another quest?
>>
Well, first off, don't make a quest.

Secondly, I recommend finding some good prewritten modules and running those until you get the hang of what your system of choice expects from a GM.
>>
>>44717089
This
>>
>>44712662
Personally, I recommend not shitting up /tg/ with more badly-written quests.
>>
Being a good GM means that the players had fun. Before even starting a campaign you should ask them about what the campaign should look like. Do they want a story driven, combat galore, something in the middle? Do they want loads of magic, how should magic be treated, the setting etc etc.

About in game, don't make a lot of NPCs. Make only a few and make them memorable.

Never let the players feel you are streamlining them. For an example, say they're in City A. They have the option of going to cities B, C or D or some other places E, F. Prepare one quest for the cities and make it adaptable so whichever city they choose to go, they will end up doing the quest anyway. Ofc they won't know.

Don't be overly descriptive, let players describe their actions. Yet, don't be non-descriptive. Players love to hear about where they are and how it looks like.

Avoid mentioning numbers unless it can't be avoided. Players don't need to know about DRs and etc.

Never tell a player you can't do that. Let him try anything, and make it look like his attempt has been taken into consideration.

Never do deus ex machina, especially to save a player from dying.

Never try to deliberately kill players. I mean in ways like, now a tarasque falls on your party.

Never try to punish players for doing stuff like random chat or etc. It's a game, not a math class.

The story doesn't have to be complex or deep to be good. It's all about how you present it to the players.

These are all conclusions from my own personal experience, not facts. In the end, as I've said, if your friends are having fun, you're a great GM.

I'll write more if I remember something else.
>>
>>44717329
This man knows what he is talking about. Listen to him.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.