[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sci-fi RPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
What are some good sci-fi RPGs?
>>
Trials In Tainted Space
>>
File: orly.jpg (7 KB, 250x160) Image search: [Google]
orly.jpg
7 KB, 250x160
>>44702015
>>
>>44701872
No, we've never had this thread.
No point in checking the archive.
In fact, make a few more? Just, you know, find out how it's done first, maybe?
>>
Is that a diaper she's wearing?
>>
>>44702284
yes...yes it is.
OP accidentally posted a pic from their /aco download folder
>>
Oh Christ, it really is...

Usually when I GIS back to someone's DeviantArt page, it's full of furry crap. WHY COULDN'T THIS JUST BE FURRY CRAP.
>>
>>44703239
at least it wasn't crapped in.
>>
>>44702284
No.
It's a codpiece on a space plastic bikini.

>>44701872
Homebrew Mass Effect stuff.
Spycraft 2.0 can swing that way.
Dragons the Dungeoning.
>>
File: 153446-004-926B6686.jpg (28 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
153446-004-926B6686.jpg
28 KB, 550x367
>>44703331
you sir are in denial or are not looking hard enough.
fuck it just Google that image and see the deviant for yourself
>>
>>44702284
Well, in an actual space suit, you can be EVA'd for 12 hours at a time without a break, so....
>>
>>44701872

>found at http://dltoart.deviantart.com/gallery/

>full of diaper fetish art

WELL THEN.
>>
File: eyebrows.gif (569 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
eyebrows.gif
569 KB, 680x382
>>44702015
>>
>>44702015
He said "good"
>>
>>44702015
>multiple artists, all with different styles

M'blech
>>
There is only one good sci-fi rpg
Shadowrun
>>
>>44703331
Bruh.
http://dltoart.deviantart.com/art/1958-Silver-Era-572597949
>>
File: rpgchart14.png (894 KB, 1600x1044) Image search: [Google]
rpgchart14.png
894 KB, 1600x1044
glhf
>>
>>44707632
And since /tg/ has no objective definition of "good"...
>>
>>44701872
>reverse engineer google search OP image
>Diaper fetishist's DA page
Fucks sake. Why are the good artists weirdos?
>>
>>44701872
Stars Without Number.
Dune.
>>
>>44701872
Retro Disney sci-fi waifu material from where? Never mind, googling.
>>
>>44710832
Good artists have always been weirdos. It's just that before the Internet existed, they kept their weirdness in a locked desk drawer because it would hurt their marketability.
>>
>>44701872
Ctrl + F "Traveller", no results.

Well these anons clearly don't know their shit.
>>
>>44709174
Oh dear, looks like you misspelt Cyberpunk 2020 there.
>>
>>44701872
>>44711539

BattleTech has a great setting but the RPG is shit.

Shadowrun has a mediocre setting and mediocre system, but lots of players and fans so it's the go-to game for science/fantasy mashups.

Eclipse Phase is like a poor man's Shadowrun at a higher tech level and in space. The players attracted to this game tend to be pretty shit-tier for some reason.

Star Wars and the 40k RPGs are excellent settings with fair-to-middling game systems. Ditto for Firefly and other licensed settings.

Traveller is an excellent game setting and I've heard good things about some of the systems. If you're looking for space opera or a "good old fashioned future" and aren't fixated on having a big licensed setting, then Traveller is what you want. Note: Joss Whedon in part based Firefly on a Traveller game he played in college.

Transhuman Space is hard sci fi, unlike pretty much everything else out there. Absolutely GOAT when it comes to sci fi. The downside is that the system is GURPS, so for some players that's a no-go. For me, it's a plus. The writers for this game included one astrophysicist, two noted futurists, and some great RPG writers. It's also a very big setting in the sense that there's so much to do and such a rich world that it's hard for new GMs to get their heads around it. There's no "setting assumed story arc" like you get with Shadowrun.
>>
>>44711455
Don't generalize too much
>>
>>44711835
I agree with almost all of this.
>>
>>44712126
Could you list some good artists from the past who didn't have a locked drawer full of weirdness that they never told anyone about?
>>
>>44711835
>Eclipse Phase is like a poor man's Shadowrun at a higher tech level and in space. The players attracted to this game tend to be pretty shit-tier for some reason.

and without fukcing elves and wizards

That's a huge advantage

I don't know about the playerbase, as i rarely play anything myself nowadays, but it seems pretty solid, and is free of that "pulpy" feel that most rpgs, no matter the genre, have.

That's also a big advantage
>>
>>44709843
>mecha, supers, medieval fantasy, alternate history
none of those are sci-fi, baka
>>
Traveller: I enjoy games that don’t just lazily tack on a setting to a generic system but instead design the mechanics from the onset to produce a certain gameplay style. Traveller is one of these. For example you generate characters by rolling on multiple tables. You get to pick which tables you roll on (mostly) but obviously not what the ultimate results will be. Whether you actually get what you want or not isn’t the point. The game tries to emulate what events took place in the character’s lives leading up to the start of the game. Every PC in Traveller has a past and a complex back story to explain their skills and how they gained them.

Cyberpunk 2020: Cyberpunk for me will always be firmly fixed within the late 80s and early 90s. So things like leather jackets, big hair, obsessions with Japanese culture and mecha. The fact that the game books refer to things like CDs and the net as new and advanced even for 2020 adds to the flavour. What’s also fun is the fact that gunplay is insanely dangerous for NPCs and PCs alike. Giving some real weight to the words “I raise my gun”. Although I can see the appeal of Shadowrun my biggest issue with it comes not from the addition of the fantasy races but the inclusion of magic which often completely removes the need for tech in the game.

40K: I’ve never enjoyed roleplaying within the 40k universe mainly because it’s pretty restrictive in terms of interacting with other races or standing up to superiors. For me Only War would have to be my favourite out of the five mainly because you can remove it from the 40k setting a lot easier than the others. You can simply say “you’ve been conscripted into the imperial intergalactic defence forces, what do?”

Eclipse Phase/Transhuman Space: Interesting concepts poorly implemented. These games can be enjoyable to play but you’ll need a good and more importantly dedicated GM who’s going to house rule a lot of the crap out of the game.
>>
Diaspora is pretty good but an absolute whore to introduce people too. Hard Sci-Fi as hell.

Savage Worlds Science Fiction is a good way to make your own setting. You can combine it with Fantasy to make a version of Shadowrun that isn't total garbage.
>>
>>44701872
we're working on one we HOPE is good, or will be good.

thoughts? ideas? opinions? violent shit-flinging? there are no bad ideas in the brainstorming phase.(those happen in the assembly and execution phases)

>latest edition here
>>44712149
>>
>>44713319
No.
>>
>>44713428
that feels like a reflexive reaction...
>>
>>44713483
One that occurs when pricks try to fish for some attention with their word doc rpg.

Caps lock is not cruise control for cool, btw.
>>
>>44713586
it's not just mine, I just stuck all the parts together.

it's a homw-brew running on Dark Heresy's engine.

>fishing for attention
fishing for suggestions, though that necessitates attention I suppose.

>caps Lock
so I use that sometimes, it's not like I use it for everything...

>Word doc RPG
I'm not good with graphic design, and whats the point of a thing that's pretty but doesn't work anyway?
>>
File: govorkov-nyet-1954.jpg (72 KB, 400x582) Image search: [Google]
govorkov-nyet-1954.jpg
72 KB, 400x582
>>44701872
>oh hey that pic is pretty good, the background is amazing and the gir-
>diaper

HET
>>
>>44709174
shadowrun isn't sci-fi, it's sci-fantasy
sci-fantasy is a different genre
>>
>>44713774
>I'm not good with graphic design, and whats the point of a thing that's pretty but doesn't work anyway?
Honestly, a poorly-designed but well-presented PDF gets a lot more views than a well-designed block of text.

If you want random neckbears to actually take the time to read the file, you're going to need to gussy it up a bit.
>>
>>44714679
Star Wars is considered science fantasy yet I'm pretty sure most people would still mention it within a science fiction setting. (Though I could argue the definition of the word "fiction".) Stop trying to make your favourite RPG out to be different from the others here. Regardless of how you classify it Shadowrun is still crap.
>>
>>44713774
>it's a homw-brew running on Dark Heresy's engine.
...oh so there's hardly any "home-brewing" required you're just rethemeing an already existing game. You made it sound like you've developed something from the ground up.
>>
>>44715988
>You made it sound like you've developed something from the ground up.
not quite, I'm adding a couple of mechanics, removing others and adjusting things to fit. it's not quite a re-theme its me using a versatile system to do a thing, I gave it a Staggering Mechanic that should(theoretically) work like a souls-game I'm cutting way down on the number of superfluous support systems available, I've cut the skills section out entirely, given it a revive mechanic, and an entirely different fate-point mechanic. that, and it's not just me. I'm just collecting the details... /tg/ made the setting, more or less. I'm just wrapping it up in a reasonably organized format

>>44715860
I'm working on a cover image now(9001 hours in MS paint because I don't know shit about CorelDRAW), page backgrounding is also on the list of things to do...grey with a repeating crisscross pattern seems okay for me for now. Borders and shit can come later
won't be too much in terms of "gussying up" but it'll be something, a decent start...
>>
>>44716259
There are so many things wrong or retarded about what you've just posted that I'm going to leave this board now under the probably correct assumption that you are in fact about 12.
>>
>>44716259
>won't be too much in terms of "gussying up" but it'll be something, a decent start...
A cover image is all you really need, because that's what the thumbnail shows, and people are more likey to click a thumbnail with a picture than a thumbnail that's just text.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.