[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to run an All Jedi Star Wars game. Maybe two hundred years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (276 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276 KB, 1600x1200
I want to run an All Jedi Star Wars game. Maybe two hundred years before the prequels. What would be a good system to run this in?

It doesn't have to be a Star Wars system specifically. I'm just familiar with d20/saga, and having ship stats would be handy.

My biggest complaint with the d20 system and Star Wars is that it makes it impossible for a padawan and his master to adventure together. Something without "level advancement" and the like would be cool.
>>
>https://mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0
>>
>>44592620
I haven't touched the FF stuff, is it any good?
>>
File: baby ewok.jpg (38 KB, 450x390) Image search: [Google]
baby ewok.jpg
38 KB, 450x390
Off-hand, the best system I can think of would be Dogs in the Vineyard.

>hurr Mormons

No, really. I've used it for several different "band of wandering warriors" settings, and it works really well for what it's designed to do: tell a fun story about people in quasi-authority making hard decisions. It's pretty easy to pick up once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>44592701
Pretty good, it works better with a narrativistic group of players better in my opinion. not because it'sm unbalanced, but because like most Star Wars the game works better when you're really trying to craft a story and character arc for you characters that lends to the Morality/Duty/Obligation mechanics in each FFG game.
>>
It's not for everybody or every game, but a friend was actually planning on running a jedi Star Wars game in Legends of the Wulin.

It's a really great system for high action, over the top combat, and is built for awesome martial badasses with various supernatural abilities. It also fits the themes of Jedi and their conflicts, with a fight in LotW being as much of a clash of ideals and personalities as it is a clash of blades.

The downsides are that the system is awfully edited, which makes all the other small issues much more severe. It's not a light system, and getting your head around the crunch, together with the odd assumptions it makes, can be a handful. It also has some core imbalances, with some stats and Chi types being innately superior, and the base options for Armour making it near worthless.

Still, I love it, and with a little tinkering it works amazingly well. The SW specific complaints relevant to it would be that it doesn't really do anything for non-jedi, and it has no built in support for technology, but depending on the game you want to run that might or might not be an issue.

Said friend who was thinking of running the game also statted up all the canon Lightsaber Forms as External fighting styles, which acts as the physical method you use to fight, which is pretty neat.
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 1098x879) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 1098x879
>>44592870
Please post this when your friend crunches the rules. I was seriously considering that, but building new clans within the Jedi order seems like a drag. >>44592792
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/archive/index.php?topic=13410.0
Thanks for pointing me towards this.

>>44592849
Looking into the rules for force and destiny, it seems too crunchy, and it's set in the imperial era by default which would mean I'd have to crunch up some new opponents every time I want to drop them on a new planet.

Dogs in the Vineyard is really the sort of game I'm looking for. I saw a cut of the prequels which emphasizes the Jedi's military and political dominance as well as their pride, and that's something I want to explore.
>>
>>44593057

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sFXnMTMSkZ1gCPXz2O-xejC1ioluaL0xvMmagvMO7jQ/edit

is a copy of the most recent version of the Externals, they might still need some tweaking but the basic idea of all of them is there.

On building clans, I've run a lot of LotW games in variant settings and I generally just make it up as I go along. Maybe start out with a Jedi Order Loresheet, whichever era is appropriate, and make up the others as you go along. A player shows an interest in a group? Make a loresheet, stick a few relevant things on it, call it a day. If a player has an idea for something that'd be cool, stick it on there. It makes it a lot easier and more dynamic overall.
>>
Well there's StarORE

its free and it uses One Roll Engine
>>
Just gonna drop by and mention Strike!

Saga edition is also pretty good from what I've heard.
>>
>>44593205
This is actually really cool. Tell your friend that a random internet person approves
>>
>>44592532
The d6 Star Wars RPG is probably the best. Better than Force and Destiny, certainly. And it's free.

http://d6holocron.com/downloads/
>>
>>44593057
Here's the book if you need a copy:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z73aet7011c7c73/Dogs_in_the_Vineyard.pdf
>>
>>44592620
>F&D
>Set in a time with the Jedi Order in full swing F&D is explicitly for shitty Jedi to match their "always underdog" game.

To play a game like anon wants you'd really need to retool the force powers to make them easier to use, the simplest method being giving higher Force Ratings by default.
>>
>>44599233
Literally every Star Wars RPG starts with players being shitty by default, anon would've needed to give stuff at the beginning regardless if the system
>>
File: 1398106981109.jpg (105 KB, 870x592) Image search: [Google]
1398106981109.jpg
105 KB, 870x592
>>44593249
Best engine! Fluff with Wookiepedia.
http://www.arcdream.com/pdf/starore.pdf

Also: http://d6holocron.com/
>>
>>44596497
Thanks. I'm going to buy a hard copy too. I think that the biggest problem would be getting the scale right. The only place we've seen in the films which is the appropriate size is the settlement on Jakku. And I know I could scale it up, but I feel like having dozens, even hundreds of ignored characters would be a pretty major downside
>>
>>44603444
DitV mechanics don't require you to stat every NPC in a town; only the ones who are directly involved with the PCs need to be noted.
>>
Who else is a smuggler in here?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.