[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well anons, I have finally given up on Fantasycraft. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg (285 KB, 1199x1104) Image search: [Google]
Chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg
285 KB, 1199x1104
Well anons, I have finally given up on Fantasycraft. It's officially dead to me, and no more promises of a new supplement will bring me back.

That being said, I need a new system, and so I thought my fellow anons would know a great system.
I'm looking for something crunchy, setting agnostic, and has decent supplements/isn't dead. (And yes, I know about GURPS)
So sell me on some systems, kind /tg/ers
>>
GURPS is pretty good.
>>
Why?
>>
>>44557435
I don't know Fantasycraft, but it sounds like you might be ready for ORE.

It is crunchy and scales down into a lot of detail if you want, but it's the fastest you will find. The core mechanism is gamist, but very easy to balance (# of d10 in pool). It offers per limb damage on multiple attacks including ini with one roll per PC.

The mechanics are incredibly flexible and more of a toolkit than a generic system. You can use it for any setting you want, but also for any kind of game. Make it more narrativist by connecting story to the dice. Make it more sim by detailing damage types and different armor/weapon effects. Keep it classic with stat+skill. Make it beer & pretzels easy or weeks of chargen complex, ORE helps you do it.

The published settings range from Monsters and Other Childish Things over Godlike/Wild Talents, to Reign and even Better Angels. Small downloads outline ideas like Nemesis, StarORE, or ORE Mecha. The independently collected system toolkit is a powerful resource. For a straight introduction in a classic genre I'd start with Reign Enchiridion, which is Reign without the setting in one affordable PDF. If you want to start free try Nemesis. The only genre missing from the ORE spectrum is some serious Scifi. For that Fate seems to be the way to go. But Fate won't do scary or overly gritty and ORE does that really well. ORE also gets a lot of supers, from low power mutants to super villains. But I'm not sure if that doesn't have so much to do with the mechanics as with the personal preferences of some of the makers. But ORE does do supers of all kinds well.

If you want everything statted out on books full of tables, go with gurps. If you'd rather build your own on a powerful system that does what you want it to, ORE is your game. Much of it is free. Just do a little searching.
>>
I've been putting off reading Fantasycraft OP, tell me why it sucks please
>>
File: Lite.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lite.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44557435
Isn't quite dead, but not quite alive either.
>>
>>44557435
what's in that cookie and why is it red
>>
>>44561448
Looks like pomegranate.
>>
>>44557435
Pathfinder Hey, it meets all your criteria!
>>
>>44559370

I think he's just upset that there's been nothing new come out for like a year and a half for it.
But I think he's just boned. There aren't a lot of systems that fill FantasyCraft's niche. It's a rules-heavy, character build centered, detailed tactical grid combat fantasy game that's built like D&D 3.5, but without all the trap options and bullshit. Kind of like if 4E had been closer to 3E in play.
Thing is, that's a very difficult thing to build (as evidenced by all the folks who tried it way back and built giant piles of unplayable shit) and now the 90s are over that kind of game is also falling out of fashion. Players don't want to deal with giant rulebooks anymore, and so FC might be the last of its kind.
(This is not to say FC doesn't have some problems, but most of them are easy to deal with compared to 3.5E/Pathfinder. But if "lack of stuff to buy" is a problem for you, then FC is not going to work)
>>
>>44564824
Rifts still exists. Barely.

>>44557435
I recommend just giving up and going with DnD 5e. It's actually fairly good.
>>
>>44564824
I'm pretty upset that the bare bones magic system in the Core is still the only system. They keep promising Spellbound is coming, but it's not.
That being said, I hope you aren't right... It's my niche.

>>44566182
I've heard that about 5e. I'll browse the ruleset. Thanks.

>>44559370
It doesn't suck. It's actually a great, crunchy system. However, like the other anon said, it's probably the last of it's kind. The premier magic supplement was promised for over 5 years. And it's creators have shifted away from the core system (Mastercraft). So... it's pretty much dead in the water.. Still a great system.

>>44561788
I guess it technically does... And hey, I wouldn't have trouble finding groups!
>>
Spellbound is coming out in March, the Crafty guys are currently working on the gear supplement (albeit slowly), but have learned from their mistakes and might be recruiting from the forums for editing/playtesting.

Source: My daddy.
>>
>>44566346
5e isn't as crunchy as you're used to. But it is mechanically solid with few serious exploits or mechanical self destructs.
>>
I can't think of anything with the same crunch as FC, but if you want something D&Dish that isn't actually D&D like it then you can always try out 13th Age. It's a sort of mix between 3.5 and 4e that somehow manages to avoid falling into the pitfalls and issues of either of those editions. I also feel it gets a lot more creative with the traditional D&D action economy when it comes to class abilities.

It's also got a few narrativist-ish mechanics to it like your character's unique thing, Icon relationships, and the background system(which replaces skills) too. Doesn't sound like that's your thing too much but it works out for this imo.
>>
>>44570167
Or you can get into Torchbearer, the game that gets DnD right.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.