[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Synthetic life forms are at war with humanity on an post-apoc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: silly cones.png (256 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
silly cones.png
256 KB, 480x640
>Synthetic life forms are at war with humanity on an post-apoc colony world
>It's a Heavy World at ~1.3 g's, no one can get off planet without exotic matter to fuel FTL
>planet is abandoned due to galactic war, no one is sending that exo down
>What's more, the synths have been redesigning themselves every generation
>They're moving farther and farther away from human appearance
>Which makes their bodies deadlier, but shorter and shorter lived
>This largely isn't an issue because their brain signatures can get revived in new bodies
>Surviving humans are trying everything to get off planet before everything falls apart
>Campaign starts with a xeno ship crashing planetside, bringing exo with it
>Xenos start attacking to get their hands on human star charts and decryptions
>Humans start attacking for the exo and out of vengeance for starting the damn war
>Synths are attacking everyone for reasons unknown

>Synths are working under divine orders
>Synth are killing xenos because of the war
>Synth are killing humans so that they'll reincarnate on hospitable planets
>Humans think Synth are erroneously applying their own reincarnation to the fleshies

>The players are actually first gen Synths and don't know it

What do you think /tg/? Is this the kind of late night musing that should be kept around come morning?
>>
BSG/10
>>
>>44546176
Killy/10, would play
>>
Did not expect plot twist.

Would bring food and coke to/10
>>
>>44546176
Beautiful

>>44546333
If they'd done that instead of the Luddite shit they came out with it would have been better.
>>
>>44546176
This premise deserves to be turned into something great. Don't waste it, anon.

I'm so stealing it
Or I would be, if I had anyone to play with
>>
File: 1367901986166.jpg (58 KB, 420x414) Image search: [Google]
1367901986166.jpg
58 KB, 420x414
>>44546176
anyone got good pictures of synths?
>>
>>44546176
Wouldn't humans become heavily deformed on a heavy world, different gravity and all?
>>
>>44548230
Not really, for the average person it will be less than 50 lbs added, which isn't a problem if you're not a lardass.

It'd be a different story if it was closer to 2 gs instead of 1 g.
>>
Why exactly can people not escape from this planet? The heavy world you've proposed here shouldn't prevent that at all. Assuming the planet is the size of Earth but 30% more massive your escape velocity goes up just 13%. Can these people seriously not build a rocket with all their technology?
>>
>>44549143
it occured to me, too. Now, to come up with something else:
depending on OPs vision, if Xenos are vague and unknown, it could be some kind of artifact or orbital blocade of alien/unknown origin. If we'd manage not to make it "it's magic, ugh", it could work
>>
>>44549143
>"If the radius of our planet were larger, there could be a point at which an Earth escaping rocket could not be built. Let us assume that building a rocket at 96% propellant (4% rocket), currently the limit for just the Shuttle External Tank, is the practical limit for launch vehicle engineering. Let us also choose hydrogen-oxygen, the most energetic chemical propellant known and currently capable of use in a human rated rocket engine. By plugging these numbers into the rocket equation, we can transform the calculated escape velocity into its equivalent planetary radius. That radius would be about 9680 kilometers (Earth is 6670 km). If our planet was 50% larger in diameter, we would not be able to venture into space, at least using rockets for transport. "
>-NASA

so OP meant 1.5 instead of 1.3, whoop de doo
>>
>>44549471
wait, that's diameter, not mass, doing some quick math.

A rocket can get off a planet with 3.3 times more mass than Earth? I must be doing something wrong.
>>
>>44549581
>>44549471
Look, the science isn't hugely important, there should be better reasons than "there's insufficient thrust".

Have an incomplete killsat system that kills off everything that flies above a certain height, and only a couple of areas can have things take off - except of course the xenos control that area.
>>
>>44549870
Or you know, they just don't have FTL fuel. If it's exotic matter, it's a hell of a long trip away from any stars to get into a place you could harvest it. And the technology to safely do that? Proprietary.

What's the point in getting off planet if you won't reach another human planet for tens of thousands of years?
>>
File: fights are necessary.jpg (97 KB, 882x681) Image search: [Google]
fights are necessary.jpg
97 KB, 882x681
>>44549581
If the planet had a radius 1.5x that of Earth and a mass 3.3x that of Earth means that gravity at the surface is ~15m/s/s. This is really starting to stretch the idea of a heavy planet quite a bit. For example, a planet like that is going to have such a thick atmosphere that extends so high up you'd be able to fly on wings a lot higher than you would otherwise. The entire idea of space travel would have to be rethought for sure but I don't think it's fair to simply state that rockets as we know them won't work therefore it's impossible.

>>44549870
Heresy. All science is important.
>>
>>44546176
Pastebin it this is to neat to lose
>>
>>44549870
Far simpler than that, simply say that the planet doesn't have the infrastructure to launch rockets to space. To quote from SMAC:

I have often been asked: if we have travelled between the stars, why can we not launch the simplest of orbital probes? These fools fail to understand the difficulty of finding the appropriate materials on this Planet, of developing adequate power supplies, and creating the infrastructure necessary to support such an effort. In short, we have struggled under the limitations of a colonial society on a virgin planet. Until now.
Col. Corazon Santiago, "Planet: A Survivalist's Guide"
>>
>>44546176
Post more of that synth girl
>>
>>44550435
Read BLAME!
>>
Bump, this thread doesn't deserve to die while I'm in the car.
>>
>>44546176
I read a lot of these, but this one is really good. I love it.
>>
>>44550003
After playing around with this in Universe Sandbox 2 for a bit and reading some information online I think I've come to the conclusion that once you get to about 1.5-2 earth radii having a terrestrial planet becomes increasingly improbable. Planets of that size are much more powerful at attracting and holding onto massive amounts of gas, causing them to get larger and balloon into full on gas giants.

The only way you are going to get a 1.5+ Earth radii planet without it looking more like Neptune is if it's so close to a star that the star blasts off its atmosphere, in which case the planet is so hostile to life (machine or otherwise) that trying to make a rocket with enough thrust to escape the gravity is going to be the least of your worries.

Now, this might actually make for an interesting adventure. You have a cthonian planet really close to its star with the machines and the humans (well, they'd have to be dwarfs with the x2 gravity) just scrabbling to survive in underground tunnel complexes (the surface would be a solar radiation blasted hellscape similar to Mercury, at least on the sunny side, since it would be tidally locked).
>>
>>44546176
Didn't you already post this?
>>
>>44552907
it was posted at 2 am EST and died at 4 am EST, cut him some slack, no one saw it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.