[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GM doing extra...stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1431600519808.png (943 KB, 559x782) Image search: [Google]
1431600519808.png
943 KB, 559x782
About to run an only war campaign and want some ideas on how to enrich the role playing experience.

I was thinking maybe putting some background noises during certain situations such as combat.

Would appreciate some input and different things I can do
>>
>>44492802
are you running it online? btw, at some point a nice idea is to put deserters or smth like that encounter with your team, it will prove that your players are good or are they dumbos or they are playing only war for shooting only.
>>
>>44492802
shitty op not responding to its own thread? u wot
>>
Sorry, and no, we'll be meeting at my place
>>
Props. If it's not an online game props can add a whole new level of immersion to the game. An npc hands a character a folder? Pass the player a folder with everything inside that the character would see. There are map making tools on the Web for all your cartographic needs, just print it off and add details as needed. Soak it in coffee for that old paper loom and texture. Just don't try to singe the edges after the coffee treatment, it burns really fast.

In college I had a GM who spent weeks filling a small note book with writing and drawings. The group found it as part of out investigation and we the players had to pull clues from the notebook to figure out what was going on. As thinges unfolded we were invited to add out own notes and drawings to the book. Last time I talked to that GM he was still using it and the story, years later, each group adding to a building on it.
>>
>>44493043
That actually sounds pretty sweet, I might try that.

How "rations"
I can get some (actually pretty decent) mre's
>>
>>44493157
You would be amazed what comes in cans. If you felt like dialing up the suck on the poor guardsmen look up K Rations from the second world war. Basically hand them cans of spam some dry crackers, maybe a chocolate bar and/or some other canned food product and tell thme to enjoy dinner in character
>>
>>44493256
I actually really like this idea
>>
What kind of stuff would I find in the imperial guardsmen uplifting primer? Thinking I might hand them little booklets and such on their class

Maybe give the ogryn a picture book
>>
>>44493489
There are a couple of pdfs floating around on the net. A quick rundown though
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Imperial_Infantryman's_Uplifting_Primer
>>
>>44493531
For extra hilarity give it to them a couple of days before the game starts, then in the first session have the commissar pull an inspection and ask the players who actually brought their primer. Bad things in the form of shit work details befall any character who's player neglected to bring their primer
>>
>>44493601
Sorry about the fragmented posts, trying to do three things at once.

Another trick I've used on my Only War group in the past was during a gas attack I handed out swim goggles and paper surgical masks to the players. They wore them all through the event to add a little immersion and simulate wearing a gas mask. Those little paper masks muffle voices more than you'd think.
>>
>>44493694
How do I know when it is to much though? I don't want to be overly annoying about props, they seem like they'd be cool with it though
>>
File: 20151230_194022.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151230_194022.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I've been building a small IG army and I think I'll use it as their platoon in the sense that if a npc dies it's lost until reinforced. Make the players cooperate a bit more.

Lost your chimera? Guess you're walking to the objective.

Half the platoon is gone? Hold the line guardsmen.
>>
>>44493746
That's going to come down to you and your group. I'd start small and work up from there. The printed maps and maybe mission briefing in a folder is a safe place to start. If it looks like your group is getting into it, spam dinner and a small section of primer. Most groups it's good to keep it small, something to interact with at the table. Myself and my group really enjoy getting into character, so we do the simulated gas mask thing on a regular basis. It's not for every group, but even something simple like maps or preprinted briefings can go a long way toward setting the mood.
>>
>>44493909
How deadly should I make it?
>>
>>44494077
Only War is naturally a deadly system for low level characters. If you want a high mortality game its more than possible. Have them bring some spare characters and order them to Take That Hill. It's my preference to let them build a bond with the character, THEN start handing out the suicide orders. Because drama.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.