[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would warfare and diplomacy be like between planets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: mars_1415709c.jpg (16 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
mars_1415709c.jpg
16 KB, 460x288
What would warfare and diplomacy be like between planets?
>>
Depends on the system.
>>
>Diplomacy
Closer to the old school stuff we had in the age of sail. Since even a short message takes minutes between the Earth and Mars, and even greater the farther you go, most people on the other end are going to be expected to handle things on their own. At most, you'll only really get some corporate communication about moving material and the occasional question about run away/ criminals.

>Warfare
This one is harder for me to get. You have light years of distance between you. Literally worlds away. Why would you?
>>
Cold Wars, mostly.
>>
>>44464314
Resources, greed, etc.
>>
>"Greetings, Outer Rim Colonial Alliance. It has come to our attention that you have raised tariffs 0.33% on all goods. This is unacceptable. We demand an immediate cessation of such hostile activity. Thank you, Earth Council"
>"Hello Earth Council. Fuck off. Thanks, ORCA."
>[300 years pass]
>BOOM!

And then everyone in the outer rim dies as a relativistic kinetic kill vehicle (aka 3 asteroids duct taped together) smashes into their general area and obliterates every single thing in sight

(In the grim capitalism of the far future there is only peace)
>>
>>44464314
only light minutes
>>
>>44464268
How about our solar system
>>
>>44464612
>>44464268
kek
>>
>>44464248
Cold war x 1000.

As soon as shit gets openly hostile you both detonate a bunch of junk or just fling scrap at each other's planet and suddendly space travel is not an option any more.

A paint fleck in orbit can dent solar panels, a nut or screw can destroy a ship.
>>
Diplomacy (or really anything to do with politics) would probably be a nightmare to navigate. If we are talking about earthlike planets with native civilizations comparable to humanity, it will likely not have a legit planetary government, just shittons of nation-states and factions and ideologies with all the petty idiosyncrasies that comes with a system like that.
>>
I don't know, but warfare and diplomacy between Candy Bar factories sounds more interesting.
>>
File: z2iexnN.png (5 MB, 5120x2880) Image search: [Google]
z2iexnN.png
5 MB, 5120x2880
>>44464913
It would only be a cold war, if you had mutual annihilation capability.

It really depends on techmagic level.

Essentially --- Space MAD or fleet bullying.
>>
>>44464612
>Humans
the answer to this, is shitty.
>>
>>44465920
>Being able to wage interstellar war
>Not having mutual annihilation capacity

Nigger, what? Just by being able to travel to each other's planets they already have all the tech for fucking each other up.
>>
>>44466118
Maybe the other side has force shields and other techmagic?
>>
File: The_Expanse_TV.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The_Expanse_TV.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>44464248
Speaking of warfare and diplomacy between planets I like that Expanse series.
>>
>>44464248
Brief. Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space.
>>
>>44466156
The problem with basically any technomagic defensive tech is that if you try to explain it you realize that it could just as well be turned into an insane weapon, and the side who has it should be winning already.
>>
>>44466169
Read the books, they're actually really, really good. The tv series had to tone down a lot of sci-fi stuff and technical details.
>>
>>44466231
And so you answered your question (= the other side will win instead of MAD)
>>
File: 1280-twix-ideologies-campaign.jpg (187 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1280-twix-ideologies-campaign.jpg
187 KB, 1280x720
>>44465797
>>
>>44466267
Do you have a condition? I didn't answer my own question, I stated what the logical consequence of all the stuff you threw in the mix would be.

If ops question had been "What would happen if two horribly mismatched factions waged interstellar war" then yes, that would have been the answer.
>>
>>44466313
Your post (the one I replied to) said that if both side are capable of interstellar war it means they outcome will be MAD. And a post later you admit that it's not always MAD. Make up your mind.
>>
>>44466118

It doesn't have to be MAD. Even if both can into space, maybe one is less warlike then the other.
Maybe one has some bullshit defensive dyson sphere thing and the other a normal space opera style fleet.
Maybe one has a million colonies and the other has one.

Open your mind.
>>
File: 2.jpg (146 KB, 720x1284) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
146 KB, 720x1284
>>44464248
>Warfare
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewarintro.php

>Diplomacy
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacelaw.php

>On an alternative history setting, space warfare and diplomacy could be happening for the last 50 years.
>>
File: 1450022503291.jpg (32 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
1450022503291.jpg
32 KB, 640x425
>One of the human-colonized planets consists of extreme war-mongerers, usually with a huge chip on their shoulder in regards to the other planets and Earth especially.
>It's Mars.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.