[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Under Represented Wargame Settings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: d1.png (652 KB, 997x498) Image search: [Google]
d1.png
652 KB, 997x498
Following a similar thread from a few days ago; what are some genres/themes/settings that you feel are under represented out there?

Always looking for inspirations for projects, I'm looking for things that stand out and aren't just your Tolkien fantasy or 40k rip-offs. Personally, big ones I'd like to see is stone age/bronze age fantasy and science fantasy stuff. Stuff other than soft sci-fi, although it sounds hypocritical since complaining about 40k rip-offs, but more that line, where magic and fantasy tropes aren't hand-waved as nanobots or psychic powers.
>>
>>44442297
My dream game and pet project for some time is:

Small scale (6/10 mm) fantasy mass combat with a focus on giant ass monsters.
Like titan battles in epic but with motherfucking wizards and dragons.

>Your earthquake spell just killed 100 knights.
>Your behemoth can't slow down fast enough and steps on your skeleton horde.
>>
>>44442297
Source for that mini, please?
>>
>>44442297
Westerns. We need Westerns. We can make Westerns, right here, right now, but not one fuck will be given. I know it.
>>
File: TW_ATT_TLR_DLC2Capt.jpg (57 KB, 700x450) Image search: [Google]
TW_ATT_TLR_DLC2Capt.jpg
57 KB, 700x450
>>44442297
The balkans and the near east during the early middle ages. It was an amazing clusterfuck of corruption and political machinations between warlords and the Byzantine court. To a degree Game of Thrones captures a bit of that spirit, but I am surprised nobody has created a fantasy world based around this concept alone.
>>
>>44442862
I would love a western skirmish wargame!
>>44442812
This is also a fucking awesome idea
>>
>>44442825
Studio McVey
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/smm15-ruby
She is unfortunately out of production.
>>
>>44442812
Isn't that basically what Warmaster was when GW published it? As far as I'm aware it bombed...
Or their Battle of the 5 Rings game, similar concept.
>>
>>44442297
If you're looking for established setting, I have a soft spot for The Elder Scrolls. Fielding a Reman-era Imperial legion would be amazing.

In terms of historical settings, is there anything set in Ancient China? Preferably Three Kingdoms period?
>>
>>44442889
A Western would really be nice, but I've already given up.

>>44442910
I thought there was. Like, a few years ago. We talked about it a lot. Alternatively you could go to /hwg/

Damn it, you make me want an Asian wargame.
>>
>>44442907
Neither of those had the focus on monster maneuvering I had in mind, but yes, they are both 10mm fantasy games.
>>
WWI but with the magic bordering super science theme WWII frequently gets instead.
>>
>>44442297
Fantasy Napoleonic wars.
>>
>>44442935
>Alternatively you could go to /hwg/
I drop by there from time to time, but I can't remember seeing it. Perhaps I should look around for it.

Also, again resorting to established settings, it could be fun to try to capture the feeling of Dominions in a wargame format, though it would likely be difficult.
>>
>>44442935
The problem with Westerns is that they usually fall into Weird Weird West instead of regular westerns.

>>44442812
End up using the movement template systems that are popular now? Imagine giant monsters using the movement system used in SW: Armada and they crush thing across the battlefield.
>>
>>44442889
There are a shit ton of Western skirmish games out there and tons of manufacturers for miniatures.
>>
>>44443117
What are are you talking about? There's tons of games and minis out there for normal Westerns.

List of rulesets here:

http://www.erichotz.com/game_rules1.html

List of manufacturers here:

http://www.erichotz.com/miniatures1.html

Short overview of laser cut Western buildings in 28mm:

http://wargamesandrailroads dot blogspot dot co dot uk/2013/01/28mm-old-west-laser-cut-buildings.html
>>
Medieval or Fantasy flavoured Africa.
>>
>>44443117
Speaking of Weird Weird West, if that's not a problem, the new hotness is Wild West Exodus.

It started as Lawmen and Outlaws with steampunk guns, expanded to now have the remnants of the Confederacy, skinshifter Native tribes, Ponce de Leon's immortal Conquistadors, aliens, and Abe Lincoln with a ax-gun.
>>
>>44443451
Wow you are such a progressive person.

Congratulations.
>>
>>44443492
How's he progressive for wanting to wargame warfare that was all about genocide and slavery?
>>
File: file.png (147 KB, 640x414) Image search: [Google]
file.png
147 KB, 640x414
>>44443451
Ahh yeah, does that mean I get to cut shit with shotel infantry?
>>
File: Grootslang.jpg (764 KB, 2333x1711) Image search: [Google]
Grootslang.jpg
764 KB, 2333x1711
>>44443492
>Not wanting a fantasy world filled with Grootslangs
>>
>>44443549
The point is that it is considered trendy and progressive to even waste brain cycles on anything related to any shit African nation even fantasy ones.
>>
Stone age-ish skirmish game where each player assembles a force of a dinosaur god and its retinue, where actions available are determined by a card deck the players assembles: yay or nay?
>>
File: Dune's giant sandworm.jpg (65 KB, 792x629) Image search: [Google]
Dune's giant sandworm.jpg
65 KB, 792x629
>>44442297
Battle on Arrakis, with giant sandworms randomly appearing depending on the amount of activity on the board
>>
>>44443983
>where actions available are determined by a card deck

I know some people like this but I am not a fan.
>>
>>44444700
It'd be more complex actions. Standard things like move and attack wouldn't need specific cards, but spells and power attacks from the dinos would require the card.
>>
>>44442907
Battle of the 5 Armies was a one-shot board game. They weren't going to support it. And Warmaster was kinda just there. I remember them giving it a lot of hype when they first released it, but then it just dropped off of the face of the earth after a few months.
>>
>>44442297
>Space cowboys riding dinosaurs vs. rattle snakemen bandits
Fund it.
>>
>>44442297
I want someone to take the Chitin setting and expand it into more games. I loved the idea of some world out in the middle of space where insect colonies are battling for food for the winter, and power during the summer.
>>
>>44442297
>see is stone age/bronze age fantasy
blood rage and the conan game do that fairly well i think
>>
>>44448460
maybe stone age sci-fi?
It's technically a post-apocalyptic setting I suppose, but Horizon Zero Dawn does look like a cool setting for a table-top game as well.
>>
File: 6740641_orig.jpg (530 KB, 900x672) Image search: [Google]
6740641_orig.jpg
530 KB, 900x672
>>44442297
>>44448581
>>44448460
>>44443983
stone age

make it happen
>>
>>44443829
>suffering this much from spastic /pol/ spergs

Stop shitposting, faggot.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.