[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sometimes I hate you, /tg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14
File: file.png (2 MB, 777x1200) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 777x1200
Sometimes I hate you, /tg/
>>
>>44436879
what am I looking at here?
>>
>>44436905
A dwarf schoolgirl.
>>
>>44436915
Sounds neat.
>>
File: 1433809964638.jpg (43 KB, 214x329) Image search: [Google]
1433809964638.jpg
43 KB, 214x329
>>44436879
>kawaii female dwarf schoolgirls with beards

I didn't even know I wanted this to be a thing.
>>
>>44436915
A-Anon... If... If she's a dwarf, then... w-why is her hair blonde and her skin pale?
>>
>>44436929
Well it starts with a hospital talking about how a baby got swapped, apparently in the setting there's the changeling switching thing is common, which is interesting to me.
>>
Well, if anyone's interested.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=104054
>>
not another high school anime
>>
>>44437237
sorry anon, the japs love their high school anime
>>
>>44437237
May as well complain about elves and dwarves in fantasy.
>>
>>44437237

Dude, that's kind of like saying "not another action movie with explosions".
>>
File: Now that's my kinda shit!.png (45 KB, 157x330) Image search: [Google]
Now that's my kinda shit!.png
45 KB, 157x330
>>44436879

AT LAST! I KNEW THE JAPANESE COULD KAWAII ANYTHING, ANYTHING!
>>
>>44437294

People do, and rightly so. When the phrases "generic fantasy" and "standard fantasy races" immediately conjure more or less the same image in people's minds, it's a problem.
>>
>>44436879
>genki redheaded angel girl
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
>>
>>44437432
Don't see why.
>>
>>44437114
>Groups Scanlating: N/A

crap.
>>
>>44437432
Because that is the point of something being standard?
>>
>>44437484
M8 IT'S FUCKING FANTASY
IF YOUR FANTASY IS STANDARTIZED YOU'RE NOT FANTASYING HARD ENOUGH

while i enjoy classic fantasy races, i still try to put some twists in them
>>
>>44437511
There is a "no group" scanslating, but they're releasing on Batoto as far as I can tell.
>>
>>44437545
Just because some people want to fuck elves and dwarves doesn't mean fantasy is restricted by it. If you wanna make a totally new fantasy, be my guest, but honestly there's very little in the way of original stuff that CAN be done "other races" wise.
>>
>>44436879
Urist is gonna be furious.
>>
>>44437615
But Urist is currently panicking.
>>
File: GDg.jpg (203 KB, 798x777) Image search: [Google]
GDg.jpg
203 KB, 798x777
>Lead male is a Smug Science Wizard
This could be very good or very bad.
>>
File: OHYES.gif (723 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
OHYES.gif
723 KB, 640x360
>>44437114
.....THIS IS THE GREATEST THING.
>>
>>44436953
Must be one of those dwarves from the far north. The cold saps the color right out of them they say.
>>
>>44437826
Magic in most settings does fall victim to semantics when there is science wank.
>>
>>44438672
I'm just hoping the science bullshit is good bullshit, it's very easy to fuck that up.
>>
>>44438712
Just be thankful he isn't a militant atheist in a setting with known gods. Japan likes to pull that shit.
>>
>>44437114
>If it can be explained its not magic
Words can't express how much I hate that argument.
>>
>>44440207
Well, if it can be explained, how is it magic?
Note: "I ask spirits to do shit" isn't an explanation.
>>
>>44440207
Magic is like telling a lie so convincing the universe believes it.
>>
>>44440226
>Well, if it can be explained, how is it magic?
Because if there is a way to produce the following results why is it any less if there is an explanation for why?
1. the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring:
to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.
>>
>>44440295
>1. the art of producing illusions as entertainment
You know that's irrelevant.
>2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.
And that's the crux of the issue, right? Supernatural agencies. Unexplainable phenomena. Wizards did it. It's getting a result via means that can't be properly explained. The METHOD to achieve it might be explainable, but the mechanics might not.
>>
File: 200% disgusted.png (739 KB, 1251x713) Image search: [Google]
200% disgusted.png
739 KB, 1251x713
>>44436879

That had better be a red headed angel girl and not a harpy.

>Harpy with human arms and not wing arms.
>>
>>44440415
She's flightless so maybe she's some kind of human chicken.
>>
>>44440351
>You know that's irrelevant.
Its a type of magic that exists.
>Supernatural agencies.
That just means it exists outside the normal order of things like when dealing with quantum physics or M-Theory, sure there's an explanation for that shit, sorta, but you can't tell me with a straight face is part of the natural world that we exist its happens under and around the scale that we can naturally persuasive.
>It's getting a result via means that can't be properly explained
So like an soft Scifi setting, nanomachines did it and multiversal frequencies?
>>
>>44440415
>>44440437
Also she's not even a harpy but some other made up race.
>>
>>44440506
>>44440437
>>44440415
They're usually Sirens when that happen.
>>
>>44437114
>Romance
>Dwarf schoolgirl and elf schoolgirl cover image
Is this yuri?
>>
>>44440701
No, there's a male protag.

Most likely it'll be harem.

>>44440493
Go read "The Magicians" by Les Grossman and get back to me with that 'rationalized magic' nonsense.
>>
>>44440493
>Its a type of magic that exists.
And it's irrelevant to the current conversation, you dork. Prestidigitation is "tricks", not "real magic".
>but you can't tell me with a straight face is part of the natural world that we exist its happens under and around the scale that we can naturally persuasive.
Uh, please rephrase, very little about this sentence made sense.
>>44440493
>So like an soft Scifi setting, nanomachines did it and multiversal frequencies?
Not really? Nanomachines are tiny robots. I mean, if you're trying to point out "sufficiently advanced science", you need to realize that the quote refers to the fact that sufficiently advanced science is UNEXPLAINABLE, to the people who are not sufficiently advanced to understand it. So it's indistinguishable from magic, because magic is unexplainable.
>>
>>44440883
>>So like an soft Scifi setting, nanomachines did it and multiversal frequencies?
> Not really? Nanomachines are tiny robots. I mean, if you're trying to point out "sufficiently advanced science", you need to realize that the quote refers to the fact that sufficiently advanced science is UNEXPLAINABLE, to the people who are not sufficiently advanced to understand it. So it's indistinguishable from magic, because magic is unexplainable.

What he meant is it's like soft sci-fi where they take magic and dress it up in scientific jargon to make it look more like advanced technology than magic.

Nanomachines are a popular choice for this in fiction. Another good example would be Element Zero from the mass effect universe.
>>
>>44440960
Well yeah, it's "science" that behaves exactly like magic, because it's basically unexplainable.

If you fully explain magic, doesn't it just become science?
>>
>>44440792
>Most likely it'll be harem.
Fuck this gay earth. What is it with the past couple of years and shitty harem manga/anime?
>>
>>44440984
Magic doesn't exist so language doesn't handle the distinction very well. In real life "magical" phenomenon become science once they're explained. In a fantasy-esque setting, magic could still be a thing even once explained since they may define magic differently than we would.
>>
>>44441037
>magic could still be a thing even once explained since they may define magic differently than we would
But that's the thing, if the mechanics of it can be fully explained, then it's not really magic. You can study the methods and rituals of using magic and you can get a general view of what happens when someone uses a spell (feed the fire spirits mana, they create fireball), but the magic itself cannot be explained, that's why it's magic.
>>
>>44441006
They're only shitty if they don't end with lots of babies.
>>
>>44441006
It doesn't feel like a harem at all. For starters, the protagonist is the elf, the guy is the lead male but not the main character.
>>
File: harem_anime.jpg (235 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
harem_anime.jpg
235 KB, 1024x640
>>44441006
>Fuck this gay earth. What is it with the past couple of years and shitty harem manga/anime?

Anon a harem manga is extremely simple to create and write. The main driving force of a harem manga is introducing a bunch of female characters and keep introducing them ad infinitum. Every harem manga lasts as long as it can force in new female characters and occasionally have them interact with each other in some way.

Having a completely bland and empty main male character end up being forced to to be/live together with a handful of females. However because PLOT, he cannot/will not be interested in any of them while each female has a secret crush on him but none of them will ever make the next step because the guy HAS TO make that next step. Basically every guy's fantasy of having several cute girls almost lie at his feet literally begging to get banged. However the PLOT is constructed from the base to prevent the guy from ever making that next step so it will always blueball you. Every interesting scene ends up with interruption, every time the story gets interesting it will cut and reset itself.

Basically a harem genre uses the "bait" tactic, the same "slot-machine" psychology that gambling does and we all know that works. It keeps throwing bland cute girls at you and yanks them away as soon as you get invested.
>>
File: 1427801683901.png (36 KB, 221x212) Image search: [Google]
1427801683901.png
36 KB, 221x212
>>44437114
>Present day, present time.
Fucking dropped.
Can't we get for once a complete fantasy setting?
Does it always have to have fantasy creatures in real world, or trapped in a fantasy world?
Are Japanese really that incompetent in self inserting into a character that is not from their country?
>>
>>44442904
I'm just waiting for Dungeon Meshi anime.
>>
>>44442936
We get next season THREE trapped in another world anime.
>>
>>44442904
Try 12 Beast, Berserk, etc.

Their comics are dominated by modern day and agency stories, just like the western ones are capes and apocalypse.
>>
File: Queen's blade dwarf elf jokes.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Queen's blade dwarf elf jokes.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
I'll take the loli dwarves instead.
>>
File: Dwarves tell it like it is.png (715 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves tell it like it is.png
715 KB, 1680x1050
>>44443880
>>
>>44441591

In many cases it is more shotgunning the viewer with heroines. X different girls is X possible waifus for the audience to get hooked on.

>>44442904
>Does it always have to have fantasy creatures in real world, or trapped in a fantasy world?
>Are Japanese really that incompetent in self inserting into a character that is not from their country?
Its more escapism, desire for personal agency and to be special. Japanese culture idolizes individuality ability but at the same time fears those that try to separate from the group.
>>
>>44444072
I always thought dwarves were more for short-stack and elves were flat.
>>
>>44443091

But El Hazard and it's Cat-Armor was the best iteration of that!
>>
>>44444194
>Japanese culture idolizes individuality ability but at the same time fears those that try to separate from the group.

That sounds oxymoronic. Basically be special but not TOO special?
>>
>>44444302
>Basically be special but not TOO special?
That's pretty much how western society works too.
You know how we teach kids to be creative and at the same time see artists as weirdos for challenging the worldview?
>>
>>44444302
More be the best of whatever job you get but do not try and create a new job.
>>
You saw this in the filename thread didn't you.
>>
File: laugh.jpg (80 KB, 455x675) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
80 KB, 455x675
>>44437432
>generic and standard are two different things
>>
>>44441073
By your standard, basic math is magic because we don't even fully know if numbers EXIST as something beyond an arbitrary concept.
>>
>>44446219
And what's wrong with that?
>>
>>44436879
>sometimes
Lurk more. I hate /tg/ every time.
>>
>>44446503
By implication, all science is magic, and constructing a difference between the two is 100% arbitrary.
>>
>>44447162
Exactly, both are imaginary constructs of the human mind. Why bother trying to claim that one doesn't exist when existence can't be proven?
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 504x660) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 504x660
>>44447218
>>
>>44436879
we hate you too OP.
>>
File: Queen's Blade dwarf elf jokes2.jpg (141 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Queen's Blade dwarf elf jokes2.jpg
141 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>44444212
In anime-land elves almost always have nice knockers.
>>44442904
>Are Japanese really that incompetent in self inserting
Yes. Otaku are the worst at that, like they have some undefined sort of autism. Even the worst /v/irgins can self-insert into a Generic Fantasy Man, but the otaku can't even manage that much. The otaku is what drives a significant part of the anime/manga/vn/ln entertainment complex, unfortunately, and now otaku are growing up and actually becoming content creators.
>>
>>44452373
>otaku are growing up and actually becoming content creators.

So that's why almost everything has gone to shit.
>>
>>44436953
Clearly she's from the Blondebeard clan.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.