[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating a star map for 40K and any other sci-fi/space fantasy setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Calixis-map.jpg (394 KB, 2516x1630) Image search: [Google]
Calixis-map.jpg
394 KB, 2516x1630
So I've decided to make my own star map for 40K. It's my first time doing it an currently experimenting with openCanvas to create one. Using the map of the Calixis Sector as an inspiration.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do while making one and not to do?

Also any extra features that one can use in making a star map?
>>
>>44423211
OP look at:

http://www.nbos.com/

Specifically their 'AstroSynthesis' star map making tool. You can do your own sector in glorious 3D.
>>
>>44423317
Wow. Thanks lad. You made my life easier.
>>
>>44423330
Glad to help - AS should come with tools for make 'skins' of a planet's surface that you can use when viewing the planets from near orbit, and you convert them into flat 'maps' of the surface of the world as well. They come in handy when doing a story based 40K campaign, or a location based campaign.
>>
>>44423330
Forgot to add that they have a free "Inspiration Pad" generator tool you should snag as well. The modern people names / Roman names add-on for the tool or others can be a huge help when naming systems and planets. You could simply create your own random name generator as well.
>>
>>44423368
>>44423387
Nice. Will utilize this.
>>
File: CalixisWarpRoutes.jpg (568 KB, 2516x1630) Image search: [Google]
CalixisWarpRoutes.jpg
568 KB, 2516x1630
You may want to also denote stable Warp routes to get the logistics figured out, at least on an alternate map.
>>
>>44423520
Thanks for the tip.
>>
File: Hecaro Stretch 2.jpg (489 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hecaro Stretch 2.jpg
489 KB, 1920x1080
This is what I'm currently rolling with,
I'm using the lightning to denote stable warp-routes.
>>
>>44423576
was this made in the AstroSynthesis program?
>>
>>44423317
Did patches bring anything new?
How are the plugins for it?

I've had a cracked version since forever, don't really feel like I use it enough to make it worth buying.
>>
>>44423598
Nope, Photoshop. The planets I got from a website that some anon recommended in a thread like this months back, I can't find it now however.
>>
>>44423607
I wish I was alteast decent with photoshop so i could make good star maps over the sector my PC's in Dark Heresy is in
>>
File: Map2RoughDraft5.png (1 MB, 1175x1200) Image search: [Google]
Map2RoughDraft5.png
1 MB, 1175x1200
I made this last year for a /tg/ project, pretty much by breaking the Calixis map down to its disparate parts and reconstituting them in GIMP.

If anyone's wondering, here's the Dark Heresy font:
>http://www.azfonts.net/load_font/celestiaantiquastd.html
>>
File: 800px-Galaxy_Map_AIs_SVN3100.png (353 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
800px-Galaxy_Map_AIs_SVN3100.png
353 KB, 800x500
lazy person tip: play a 4x game and use their map generators. No need to come up with names or anything
>>
>>44423634
Thanks.

Will be useful.
>>
>>44423612
No word of a lie, to make this sub-sector I used:
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/starry-sky/ This to make the starry background,
http://photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/lightning/lightning.htm, this to make the warp routes.
I copy pasted a bunch of randomly generated worlds from the website I lost and used some fonts to name them. Each world is its own layer and it just has a drop-shadow of a matching colour to the designation of its world type. The key (the worst looking part in my opinion) I spliced from an online picture of the Calixis Sector.
>>
>>44423651
Is this Free Orion?
>>
>>44423634
>>44423698
One small thing. The font ain't downloading.

Either I'm doing something badly or when I click the download button I'm redirected to Adobe.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.