[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A question to everyone who likes WH40K: How the hell can anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59
File: Tyranid_Hive_Fleets_Galaxy_Map.jpg (559 KB, 1380x1008) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_Hive_Fleets_Galaxy_Map.jpg
559 KB, 1380x1008
A question to everyone who likes WH40K:

How the hell can anyone defeat the Tyranids?

Out the all the galaxy destroying forces the 'nids are the only group who could legitimately win the war against all the other factions. The Orks are too stupid to use their numbers to unite into one massive Waaagh to defeat all the other races, the Chaos gods are just as likely to attack one another than their common foes. The Tyranids are the only ones who are truly focused on an all out victory against their enemies; their as zealous as the Imperium but with 100 times the number. Plus the fact that they have the whole "shadow in the warp" thing can disrupt any attempt at sending in massive amounts of high powered reinforcements (the Imperium's biggest trump card) as well as prevents the forces of chaos from attacking pretty much makes them impossible to defeat.

Theoretically the Tyranids greatest weakness is that they need to feed on biomass to replenish their forces, so if the Necrons get their shit together and wipe out all biological life in the galaxy they could quite easily starve out the Nids, but their forces lack the number to do so.

So /tg/ how do you see the Tyranids being defeated, if it was even possible?
>>
Arguably it might be possible to defeat the Tyranids at their own game, at least telepathically. Have a whole bunch of extremely powerful psykers scream at the Nids and disrupt their synapse web. But there just aren't that many high powered psykers for this to work in all of the races combined.
>>
I think the Tau captured a forgeworld that was specialized in creating torpedoes capable of wiping out Tyranid Fleets, the only of its kind.
>>
File: Tyranid_002.jpg (120 KB, 701x500) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_002.jpg
120 KB, 701x500
>>44379748
Why didn't the imperium take advantage of the tech? Hell the mechanicus would have been all over something like that.
>>
they have no allies, no extra help, diplomacy, etc.
whenever they're sighted everyone around comes to fight against them.
like let's say some space marines are defending against an ork charge, tyranids suddenly appear and the SM and orks ignore each other and go fight the tyranids.
they also unite everyone on a larger scale when they pose a bigger threat.

pretty sure if they tried taking over the whole universe (well, actively anyway, by going on some kind of tyranid waaagh) they would unite everyone into an anti-tyranid force (except maybe chaos and imperium, but everyone else should be pretty good).
>>
>>44379800

They did use the tech and were very popular. The Tau captured the forgeworld and now the torpedoes are rare as fuck for the Imperium.
>>
>>44379800
>Why didn't the Imperium di a smart thing?
Because Imperium

>>44379634
Do the same thing they did in DoW2
But bigger
>>
Take down the Hive Ship and their fleets become dumb animals. The Hivemind can only take direct control over two ships at once.
>>
>>44379800
>>44379854
They did use it. The Tau didn't like the fact that the Imperium had such a nice thing against Nids and had to get rid of it if you ask me. Tau expansion happened and hopefully the anti-Nid making torpedoes are still around. Maybe the Magos in charge of the forgeworld knows how to make them, and is hiding somewhere on his forge world until the Tau are removed and Imperial dominance has been reasserted.
>>
>>44379804
Adding to what this guy said, every faction out guns Tyranids when put on equal numbers, obviously Tyranids excel in the numbers department but whenever they have to fight multiple enemies at once those numbers get split and they begin to lose that advantage. Add in Necrons which pretty much straight up counter them in nearly every way the Tyranids aren't actually as big of a threat as they seem.
>>
The tyranids are going to provide a common enemy for the races of the galaxy and then they learn the meaning of friendship and love.
This is what the tyranids do, they have travelled a thousand galaxys forcing the disparate races to work together.
>>
>>44379804
With the exception of the LOL EVULZ chaos factions the forces of Chaos actually seek dominion over the galaxy, especially the more organized Khornate and Tzeentchian groups. I feel like something that would threaten to wipe out the entire galaxy would get even those guys to side with the Imperium.
>>
>>44381793
>side with the imperium

But then question becomes would the Imperium even want to side with them? Time and time again when given the choice between faith and survival the Imperium has always chosen faith.
>>
>>44382121
The Imperium isn't that stupid. Orks and Chaos are out of the teamup question for reasons pretty simple. Besides, if they team up with the Eldar, Tau, and Necrons, they can purge them later after they exhaust themselves fighting the Nids.
>>
File: Tyranid_Venomthrope.jpg (219 KB, 1204x788) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_Venomthrope.jpg
219 KB, 1204x788
>>44382240
>Eldar, Tau, Necrons

The problem here is that compared to the might of the Orks and Chaos, the Eldar/Tau/Necrons are barely strong enough to defeat the entire might of a hive fleet.
>>
>>44379634
They really don't.
See, in 40k, most factions have a victory scenario based on an "If... then..." statement. If mankind survives long enough to all evolve into super psykers, then the Imperium wins. If Chaos can kill the Emperor, then Chaos wins. If the Eldar die enough times to summon their new god of death, then they win. Etc.
Tyranids are the only faction without an "If... then..." victory. They have an "When... then..." As in, When the bulk of the Tyranid fleet arrives, then they win. Nothing will stand in their way. Chaos will be cut out of the galaxy under the massive shadow in the warp, rendering warp travel impossible. The Necrons might last a while, but as the organic races are turned into easy meals, they will be out numbered and destroyed. That or the Tyranids will ignore them, eat everything, and then just leave them behind.
That's the other thing. Unlike the other races, Tyranids aren't confined to this galaxy. They make war on a multi-galaxy scale. If things go south in the Milky Way, they'll just leave. They are basically the only faction guaranteed to survive in some way.
>>
>>44382287
One Emperor class ship's warp drive was strong enough to wreck Behemoth. Imperium + Tau + Eldar + Necrons = 50 Emperor class ships' warp drives at least.
>>
>>44382505
Doesn't matter. Tyranids are actually surrounding the galaxy. That's numbers so fucking huge the emperor would have trouble comprehending their true significance.
>>
>>44382505
The fleets that have come to the Milky Way so far were scouting. Small fleets.

The MAIN Hive fleet is suppose to be beyond massive. I think I read somewhere once that to even stand a chance against the Main Hive Fleet, every single man, woman and child in the Imperium would have to take up arms.
>>
File: Hive Fleet 1.png (2 MB, 1143x799) Image search: [Google]
Hive Fleet 1.png
2 MB, 1143x799
>>44382505
Yeah, but you had to sacrifice the ship to do so. Plus, the Tyranids now recognize that as a strategy and will have adapted to it. Emperor Class ship heading their way? Don't swarm over it, pull back and attack from long range.
Furthermore, Behemoth was a scout fleet. The main Tyranid fleet will make Behemoth, Kraken, and Leviathan look pathetically small by comparison
>>
File: Zogging Mekz.jpg (43 KB, 439x340) Image search: [Google]
Zogging Mekz.jpg
43 KB, 439x340
>>44382536
>That's numbers so fucking huge the emperor would have trouble comprehending their true significance.
>HOLY MOTHER OF MYSELF, I DO DECLARE THAT IS A LOT OF TYRANIDS.
Orks have the potential to defeat the Tyranids, but imagine pic related but on a far larger scale.
>>44382554
I still say it's just going to be one huge bioship that will cause a Jonah and the whale situation on a galactic scale.
>>44382559
What are Warp torpedoes and Vortex missiles?
>>
File: 1402936691313.gif (384 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
1402936691313.gif
384 KB, 350x263
Shoot them.

Gee, what a conundrum.
>>
>>44382536
>>44382559
if there's really that many tyranids, is there really enough biomass in the galaxy to sustain them? You think it'd be just a light snack compared to what would be required to support a galaxy-engulfing fleet of bugs.
>>
>>44382642
I think there's some old lore mentioning the Hive Mind generated a Warp storm to ride to the galaxy, and used 90% of the Tyranid race to keep what the galaxy has to deal with alive.
>>
>>44382609
>What are Warp torpedoes and Vortex missiles?

Rare shit, even then the Tyranids most likely have entire galaxies worth of bugs. Everyone will run out of shit to shoot eventually as the bugs surround the galaxy.
>>
>>44382642
Exactly. This is just a portion of their larger local galactic cluster meal.
>>
>>44379634

Aren't the Tyranids fleeing from something even worse than themselves? Wouldn't it be enough to just stall their advance long enough for whatever that is to arrive and start killing them from the other side?

Of course, then you'd be stuck with the guys who managed to make the Tyranids as a whole run like cowards.
>>
>>44382702
>Aren't the Tyranids fleeing from something even worse than themselves?

No, thats just a rumor/theory.
>>
>>44379727
Didn't one Eldar Farseer say it was within the means of the Craftworlds to bend the Swarms hivemind to follow their suggestions with enough cooperation from enough farseers?
>>
>>44382675
Use Phosphex. Lots of Phosphex on the Hive Ships.
>>44382679
Our cluster? Because I remember one thread that had an Anon do some calculations and said that the Nids aren't from our supercluster.
>>44382710
There is only one thing that can make them run.
>>
the onlyway the tyranids can be defeated is when they run out of biomass. not sure how but if you could force the fleets into somewhere without biomass you could starve them
>>
So what about Nurgle? He's the GOD of death, pestilence and sickness, right?

Would it be possible, if he personally focused his attention on a certain hive fleet, to infect the mother ship (I forgot what the heart of a tyranid fleet is called) with everything he's got? I mean I remember reading that his toxic shit and vile plagues are so unholy and potent, that they can rot through Imperial star shields (which, according to the fluff, are virtually invulnerable to damage).

So in theory, if he really, really wanted to, couldn't Nurgle just infect the tyranid hive fleets with a virus that will slowly rot away or break their genetic code and thus stop them and eventually die out? Of course he wouldn't just spawn shitloads of demonic viruses and plagues all across the galaxy at once, he'd have to do this one by one. Or are Tyranids immune to literally ANYTHING warp-related?
>>
If the Tyranids did win and wipe out all life in the galaxy, couldn't the Necrons just hide out and wait until they either move on or wind up eating themselves to death?
>>
>>44382733
>Our cluster? Because I remember one thread that had an Anon do some calculations and said that the Nids aren't from our supercluster.

That's what I'm saying. They're moving hear for their next meal, and our galaxy is only their first bite.
>>
File: Do you find this sexy tg.png (983 KB, 655x818) Image search: [Google]
Do you find this sexy tg.png
983 KB, 655x818
>>44382741
If Aliens taught me anything you need to kill the Queen to really give the Xenomorphs a middle finger, and since Tyranids are based on the Xenomorphs they are bound to have an original Norm Queen in the main fleet. Kill her and that's got to do something.
>>
>>44382758
He's already tried dumping new and deadly diseases on the Tyranids. The authors made their adaption ability pants on head retarded so apparently they can naturally concoct antibodies to nurgles diseases faster than it can take out a hive ship.
>>
File: NurgleManifestation.jpg (92 KB, 661x668) Image search: [Google]
NurgleManifestation.jpg
92 KB, 661x668
>>44382758
Since the fleet blocks out the warp Nurgle would have to send one of his soldiers into the fray to infect them, meaning that someone would have to survive long enough to spread his disease across the entire fleet. This disease would also have to spread fast enough that the hive mind wouldn't figure out what's going on.
>>
>>44382855
khornes axe could do a number if he would get off his fucking ass
>>
>>44382758
Not outright immune, but the shadow they cast in the warp fucks with most things warp related. If Nurgle would want to attempt such a thing it would have to be brewed away from the fleet, and then brought to it since I don't think he could manifest it in the middle of the fleet. This would limit it's effective spread and the fleet would just eventually ignore the infected mass, eventually even evolving a counter to it. That's assuming it even works in the first place.
>>
>>44382773
Nids strip planets that are capable of maintaining life clean of all their biomass and planetary spheres. They do this on a galactic scale. There would be nothing for new life to grow back from and nothing for the Necrons to declare lordship over.
>>
File: Hmm.png (6 KB, 408x286) Image search: [Google]
Hmm.png
6 KB, 408x286
>>44382855

What if he developed a disease that caused the tyranid's antibodies and natural adaptive abilities to work against them instead of in their favor? I'm not even sure how that would work, but there's got to be some kind of genetic loophole Papa Nurgs could exploit.
>>
>>44382902
I would not be surprised if the some crons have some life form samples tucked away somewhere. I know the one collector who keeps live subjects turned into hard light holograms has a large collection of being. If the galaxy really did reach a point of 0 chance for new life to form I am sure one of the crypteck has a biology division that could brew something up with the leftovers.
>>
>>44382805
this is a blue board man.
>>
>>44382882
The bugs haven't done enough to piss him off yet. Which is surprising given how absolute bullshit they are.

>Khorne feeds off the bloodshed of countless races from across the galaxy each with countless different origins and forms
>Oh not Nid blood or skulls though that doesn't count despite them having both
>Why?
>Lol Alien Ichor
>>
File: Hardworkingtyranidmaid_anonib.jpg (199 KB, 719x772) Image search: [Google]
Hardworkingtyranidmaid_anonib.jpg
199 KB, 719x772
>>44382909
>antibodies and natural adaptive abilities to work against them

We already have something that does that: HIV. Now the question is who is brave enough to give the Norn-Queen the D?
>>
>>44382855
>they can naturally concot antibodies to nurgles diseases

I know it's a fantasy/sci-fi game but goddamn that's now how it works, even with ridiculously enhance metabolisms and immune systems.
>>
>>44382980
not* fucking titties.
>>
>>44382964
mabey khorne is helping the nids sense they are pretty much destruction incarnate
>>
File: Queen_Mother (1).jpg (161 KB, 880x1328) Image search: [Google]
Queen_Mother (1).jpg
161 KB, 880x1328
>>44382931
This safe enough for you?
>>
File: 1437232196770.png (22 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1437232196770.png
22 KB, 235x235
>>44382978

Maybe Nurgle could work out some kind of temporary partnership with Slaanesh.
>>
>>44382930
The Necron tech is focused on creating metal from energy. They don't get biology anymore. They need an entire caste of actual scientists to go around reminding Phaerons how their bodies actually work and operate the really complicated bits of their doomsday weapon. That is why they need the new races to pop up if they want to accomplish biotransferrence. They don't know how to make life out of thin air like metal.
>>
>>44382978
>Norn-Queen

Didn't know Tyranids were based around Germanic Mythology.
>>
>>44383043
i don't think they are. i think thats just a coincidence
>>
File: 1387039833149.jpg (50 KB, 360x353) Image search: [Google]
1387039833149.jpg
50 KB, 360x353
>>44383012
Again the problem is that the shadow in the warp would block the attempt of a direct attack. Someone would have to be infected away from the fleet and survive both the disease and the hungry hungry Hormagaunts as they sneak on to the hive ship and seduce the queen.

The second question is what the hell would turn on a Norn-Queen?
>>
>>44383074
The Emperor. The astronomicon is one of the main reasons the Nids are here. It's an Intergalactic booty call.
>>
>>44383074

What if it was an STD that compelled tyranids to rape each other until they reached a large enough critical mass to successfully rape the Norn-Queen?
>>
File: god-emperor-of-mankind-retired.jpg (647 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
god-emperor-of-mankind-retired.jpg
647 KB, 600x849
>>44383118
Two questions: How do we give the Emperor AIDS and can he still get a boner?
>>
File: images.jpg (32 KB, 299x501) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
32 KB, 299x501
>>44383138
>Something that causes people to go on rape sprees

Islam?
>>
>>44383158
Looks like a boner is about all he can get.

Though that picture raises another question. How many people do you think were fired/lost their jobs/executed the day his arm fell off?

Do you think they had an entire consulting firm calculate the most venerable position to rest it in?

Imagine the maid who was giving him his spongebath when it happened. Was she instantly shot by a jealous space marine when the arm fell off? Or did the arm fall off when nobody was looking, thus creating a mystery?
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 900x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 900x850
>>44379634
Life Eater virus might work, as tyranids arent immune to it and all of their ships are made of biomass.

Another way would be to use the Life Eater virus to intentionally destroy planets, then load everybody up on a bunch of small ships, making fucksure there's no genestealers on it and leaving the milky way, sending each of these small ships in a different direction so if there is a genestealer aboard, it'll only screw over one of these potential "seeds". Since the nids move at sublight speed they could very well be evaded for millenia, as no genestealers means that the nids wouldnt have a scent to catch on to. Plus when the bulk of the nid forces show up, theres nothing to feed on except other nids.
>>
>>44383254
Horus ripped it off.
>>
>>44382877

>Far beyond the fringes of the galaxy there was naught but endless black. Past the last few stray stars plying their lonely track through the cold night, past the dead worlds and the fragments of galactic collisions billions of years gone, past the probes sent out by extinct races recorded in no history… past all that and beyond, there was a night sea studded with the diamond islands of distant, lonely galaxies. Though incomprehensibly vast, this sea was not empty. Great behemoths of the deep lurked there. Into the eternal blackness, a flash of quantum energy shone out at many times the speed of light; a brief flare, milliseconds in duration, projecting from an unremarkable spiral of stars. It was not missed. In the darkness, something of limitless hunger stirred in a slumber that had lasted for aeons. A million frozen and unblinking eyes saw the flash, tripping cascades of stimuli. Their purpose served, the eyes died. The entity processed the message the eyes provided without ever truly awakening. Automatically, instinctively, its gargantuan, dreaming mind analysed the signal, comparing it against all parameters for the one thing it sought. Prey. Slowly, glacially, the great devourer shifted its course.

TYRANIDS CONFIRMED SLEEPING ON THE JOB
>>
>>44379634
You don't.

That's the fucking point. 40k is based off the fall of the Roman Empire, just as Warhammer Fantasy was based off of Charlemagne.
>>
>>44383346
Most of those barbarian tribes were pretty keen on the idea of at least playing Roman though.
I don't think the Tyranids want to play Imperium of Man unless everyone's been getting their motives completely wrong this entire time.
>>
>>44383259
I don't know if 40k Imperium has that Tech. I mean the Necrons of all races seemed to only just have it.
>>
>>44383328
Hey they deserve that nap. The Tyranids get shit done. They've eaten 12 galaxies before ours, I say they... Wait a minute. The fluff says the galaxy is set to end when the Demon king strides out on his 13th time. Most people assume this is supposed to be Abbaddon and his 13th black crusade, but the Milky Way is the Tyranid's 13th Galaxy.
Could GW have secretly put Tyranids up as the prophesied Galaxy enders?
>>
>>44383404
>They've eaten 12 galaxies before ours
Source
>The fluff says the galaxy is set to end when the Demon king strides out on his 13th time
Source
>>
File: Tyranids at Night.jpg (108 KB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
Tyranids at Night.jpg
108 KB, 900x660
>>44383438
>12 galaxies
Warhammer 40k 5th edition main rule book, page 166.
"Behind the Hive Fleets lie the barren husks of a dozen galaxies already consumed"
>Demon King
Chaos Space Marines 6th edition rule book, page 26
"Thirteen times shall the Traitor King go forth. In the End Times the iron fortresses shall be cast down. Its walls breached and its Gate forced open. Those that dwell beyond shall spill through it."
The quote is made to sound like Abbaddon, but it could be reinterpreted to Tyranids in most cases. Although, I'm not sure how the Hive Mind would be a traitor to anything.
>>
>>44379634
Just bring a bunch of Baneblades, A Dozen Gryphon Mortars, and maybe oh I dunno, A stormlord with Coteaz in it? Yea, just put those guys in front of the entirety of the Tyranid Hive fleets. They're so much of a joke that they probably wouldn't be able to put up with it.
>>
>>44382980

We know, anon, but this is the same setting that thinks chainsaws and swords are two great tastes (they are) which taste great together (they do not).
>>
>>44379634
>How the hell can anyone defeat the Tyranids?
For all the psychic power of the Hive Mind, it's pretty retarded.

All the mental capacities the Tyranids possess are merely overdeveloped tools for their animalistic nature. Zoanthrope is just a Pavlov's dog that throws psychic blasts and does differential equations on command. Any semblance of self-awareness is completely repressed by the overwhelming basic urges of the Hive - hunger and fear.

No animals, no matter how numerous and strong, are capable of wiping out the collective population of our galaxy. They are just a really big and really angry stampede - lots of troubles to deal with, but not the ultimate antagonist of all things living. One Inquisitor was enough to outsmart them.

>>44382240
>Orks and Chaos are out of the teamup question for reasons pretty simple
Blood Axes say hi.
>>
>>44383836
>One Inquisitor was enough to outsmart them.
He really didnt outsmart them all he did was divert them towards the orks. I think its stated in the fluff that whomever comes out on top in that battle is going to be pretty terrifying.
>>
oldcrons could
>>
>>44383404
we have no idea what the size of those galaxies was or if they had sentient life
>>
>>44383905
>He really didnt outsmart them
He did. He tricked the Tyranids into doing what he wanted, and what Imperium needed. He pressed a button, the bell chimed, and the Tyranids barked. It clearly shows that they don't mind being manipulated.

>going to be pretty terrifying
Or much weaker. Large-scale warfare is unpredictable like that.
>>
>>44383836
The Blood Axes will probably just be painted as Orgyans.
>>
>>44383944
Nids and Orks don't match man. Both are very adept at biological warfare. The Orks managed to loot an Avatar of Khaine, and it's having the time of its life. Orks are getting bigger and stronger because of it.
>>
>>44383944
Octarius war fluff says that the Orks are growing in number as more are attracted to fight the Nids, while Leviathan is consuming a lot of biomass and adapting a ton in combat with the Orks. It's outright stated that whoever wins is going to be terrifying to deal with.
>>
>>44383972
>loot an avatar of khaine

what? How? Arent avatars of khaine daemons? How do you "loot" that?
>>
>>44379634
The Necron we see are an infinitesimally small vanguard. In the end, the Necron are the greatest threat, especially given their near immunity to Chaos and nids.
>>
>>44383973
Why wouldll the orks be scarier than usual?
>>
>>44379800
Imperium can't have nice things. AdMechs never shared with anybody to begin with and humans won't ever have them now.
>>
>>44379634
Tyranids posses no space based super weapons and most of the other species do. In fluff the Imperium breaks out forbidden weapons when their back is really against the wall and they start destroying whole solar systems.

Eldar and Crons can do the same and Orks can go toe to toe conventionally with the nids. Nids arnt ever going to "win".
>>
File: Big Mek 1.jpg (142 KB, 900x709) Image search: [Google]
Big Mek 1.jpg
142 KB, 900x709
>>44384022
As Orks keep fighting and winning battles, they grow bigger and bigger.
The Ocatrius war is a war of attrition, both of which Nids and Orks are good at. Wars of attrition take a long time. Thus, as the Ork veterans keep fighting, they keep getting bigger and stronger. Plus, there's all the additional Orks that join in the fight, making the WAAAAGH growing bigger. Finally, the Ork Meks are inventing tons of stuff for the fight, so the Orks get a lot of new technology out of the war.
>>
>>44382964
They retconned that. Khorne has tyranid skulls on his throne now
>>
>>44384039
The Tyranids ARE a space based super weapon you dingaling. It doesn't count as winning when you nuke an entire Segmentum to stop a scouting fleet.
>>
>>44384077
Its counted as winning many times in the past. Eldar, Imperium and Necrons can just space nuke them. Its in the fluff.

The main races are pulling their punches for Tyranids the same way they are for Tau.
>>
>>44383973
>Octarius war fluff says that the Orks are growing in number as more are attracted to fight the Nids
That means that they are drawn from other places, which become more quiet. Localization of the ork threat, a massive win for Imperium.
> while Leviathan is consuming a lot of biomass
And burning even more in the fight. You do understand that a war of attrition implies ATTRITION?
>and adapting a ton in combat with the Orks
GRRRREAT! When they deal with the orks - they will be to specialized on fighting orks to effectively oppose Imperial forces.

>It's outright stated that whoever wins is going to be terrifying to deal with.
It's outright stated that such outcome is POSSIBLE, not guaranteed. If GW writers don't make up a cool way out of it, they will just gives us drained Overfiend who is still a threat but too weak to start an offensive Waagh, and a bunch of Hive Fleet splinters all over the area.
>>
>>44383997
It's connection to the Eldar was weaken, and it felt bitter about that. The Orks were happy to help find new purpose in life.
>>
>>44382609
>>HOLY MOTHER OF MYSELF, I DO DECLARE THAT IS A LOT OF TYRANIDS.

Top kek, m8. Legitimately made me chuckle
>>
>>44384173
I'm happy I made someone chuckle.
>>
>>44384164
And why didnt the orkz kill it? Were they blood axes or something?
>>
>>44384201
Maybe an Ork remembered how Killy an Avatar is and thought he could loot it. He thought right.
>>
>>44384105

>That means that they are drawn from other places, which become more quiet. Localization of the ork threat, a massive win for Imperium.
That's not a good thing at all, that means its super easy for the strongest warboss there to make a massive Waaaagh

>And burning even more in the fight. You do understand that a war of attrition implies ATTRITION?
Hive Fleets don't lose Biomass unless they're forced to retreat from the planet entirely before reabsorbing the fallen.

>GRRRREAT! When they deal with the orks - they will be to specialized on fighting orks to effectively oppose Imperial forces.
Adapting to beat Orks means becoming even bigger, stronger, and more unpredictable than they are. That's a horrible thing for IG to have to face.
>>
>>44384046
I was reading somewhere that the fighting was so constant and brutal that surviving nobs are the size of an average warboss with boys like nobs, just imagine what the warboss leading the fight against the tyranid would look like, like a small titan.
>>
>>44384248
Ghahzkghulls not gonna be happy about this. Or he is. I don't know.
>>
>>44384248
If ghaz could kill him and combine their waaaghs he would probably make the warboss that almost killed big e look weak.
>>
>>44384105
Huh. Ive got to wonder if the Old Ones made the orks to be an army, but weren't able to finish them if their drive to kill nids is some kind of defense system they installed if there was a truely galaxy wide threat such as the nids.
>>
>>44384378
Yeah its called the C'Tan. They were literally made to kill cron which were at the time wiping out all life in the galaxy at large. Much like the nids.
>>
>>44384325
>almost killed

Re-read it. Once again, the fluff says the Ork was "struggling". That's not "almost". That's "struggling".

>strive to achieve or attain something in the face of difficulty or resistance.

The Ork was struggling to "choke the life" from the Emperor. It was a test. The Emperor could have blown his mind open, but the Emperor wanted to see if Horus was willing to let the Emperor 'die' so he could rule, or would go and save him.
>>
>>44384508
Well horus didn't go to save him did he? Didn't the emperor blow him into atoms himself? Did horus fail the test?
>>
>>44384580
The Ork? Yes, Horus did save him. He went and chopped off the Orks arms.

It was this act that convinced the Emperor to make Horus the Warmaster over Sanguinius, as despite the wings, Sanguinius was still great.

But the act the Emperor thought was evidence that Horus was true to the vision and the plan and the Emperor had delayed his return to Terra by years longer than he wanted.
>>
>>44381793
Chaos actually REALLY hates Tyranids when they become aware of them. Chaos, at its default, can't perceive them. A daemon has to be made aware that tyranids are there. Pretty much, daemons and Tyranids fight in a sort of turf war, things killed in the warp shadow don't feed Chaos, and stuff corrupted with Chaos doesn't serve as good food for Tyranids. Because of this, the response is VERY negative once they know the other is around, especially on the daemon's side who feel they're entitled to those souls.
>>
>>44382240
Ork teamups happen, and I don't just mean orks hired as mercs or ones convinced to target an enemy (both things that canonically happen). so you can count Orks in, at least some groups of orks.
>>
>>44385257
>stuff corrupted with Chaos doesn't serve as good food for Tyranids

What? How?
>>
>>44385336
It's bad nasty stuff. It's like if a creature adapted to eating rotten meat and detritus started eating rotten meat injected with mercury and cyanide.
>>
Also I'm pretty sure their latest codex dialed back on the size thing to make their victory less of an assurance.
>>
>>44383254
Also, what's with the slash? Did Horus wound him with a single claw, or do giant maces now cut instead of pulp?
>>
>>44379748

Where did this happen? What book?
>>
>>44384241
Oh no, whatever happens in 40k humans are DOOMED!
>>
>>44385768
As per usual
>>
File: Necron TP.jpg (57 KB, 516x708) Image search: [Google]
Necron TP.jpg
57 KB, 516x708
>Long have we known of the Devourer. While the majority of the necron race slept away the aeons, his great majesty Szarekh, the Silent King, journeyed far and wide beyond the borders of this galaxy. Such unspeakable things did he witness as cannot be adequately articulated in our noble language, nor any other.

>The most dire of all these extragalactic enemies were the tyranids.

>For countless cycles he has sought to repel this threat. In his wisdom he has observed them, studied them and committed them to oblivion in all but the final, decisive deed. He has brought them to battle on a hundred worlds, ravaged their slumbering fleets out in the cold, measureless void, and even united the more fractious, warring dynasties so that our mutual interests might be protected.

-Words of the Silent King

" committed them to oblivion in all but the final, decisive deed"

It's confirmed. The destruction of the Tyranids is just a matter of time.
>>
File: The Destroyer of Worlds.png (3 MB, 1333x1021) Image search: [Google]
The Destroyer of Worlds.png
3 MB, 1333x1021
Guys....

Why are people wanking the 12 galaxies thing when Chaos has been confirmed to have been invading the multiverse since the dawn of creation and have destroyed entire universes into multidimensional onslaught? They are Primordial Annihilator, the scourge of all that is.

It's laughable how smalltime the Tyranids are and how much people are giving them attention.
>>
File: 1373089208192.jpg (73 KB, 266x474) Image search: [Google]
1373089208192.jpg
73 KB, 266x474
Wasnt therea s tory about how a squad of warp talons hopped aboard a tyranid ship and that handful of people caused so much rip and tear that daemons started popping out of the walls and they purged the ship?
>>
File: Gods.png (3 MB, 1333x1021) Image search: [Google]
Gods.png
3 MB, 1333x1021
>>44385986
I see Nurgle and Khorne.

Where is Tzeentch and Slaanesh?
>>
>>44385986
Pretty sure there's no solid ruling on whether Chaos is a Milky Way only thing.
>>
>>44386042
Its warhammer fantasy, slaanesh is gone and tzeench takes ab ack seat to nurgle and khorne
>>
>>44386107
One would think the multiple mentions of "universe" in the Chaos dexes would help that ruling.
>>
>>44386426
Pretty sure it's in-universe Chaos wank, not anything authoritative written by the gods themselves.
>>
File: Tzeentch's intro.png (396 KB, 1499x154) Image search: [Google]
Tzeentch's intro.png
396 KB, 1499x154
>>44386448
It ain't in-verse, brah.
>>
File: Nurgle God of Plagues.png (541 KB, 732x420) Image search: [Google]
Nurgle God of Plagues.png
541 KB, 732x420
>>44386537
>>
>>44386042
Khorne killed Tzeentch, Slaaneesh is all of that swirling period blood, Nurgle's smiling because he's gonna feast on the rotting-bird-carcass-and-congealed-period-blood-stew he keeps bragging to Khorne that he has the recipe for if only Khorne would just deliver the ingredients for.
>>
>>44386537
>In his mind
In my mind I'm the immortal god-king of Earth.
>>
>>44386570
Except Tzeentch is composed of the thoughts and dreams of all sentient life in the universe. He hears them all and inspires them. Of course, it's in his mind.

You on the other hand are a carbon based lifeform. A pink sack of organs.
>>
>>44386619
Not in my mind.
>>
>>44379634
>they're
>>
>>44386622
Unless you're an extradimensional being made up of pure emotion and thought whose mind in connected to the thought processes of all life, then what's in your mind has no value.
>>
>>44382999
>cr1tikal plz
>>
>>44379912
>Maybe the Magos in charge of the forgeworld knows how to make them, and is hiding somewhere on his forge world until the Tau are removed and Imperial dominance has been reasserted.
escaping a forge world to bring vital tech knowledge to the imperium would make a great plot for the next 3rd person shooter.
>>
>>44382467
sounds about right.
>>
>>44384073
thats good
>>
>>44384105
>And burning even more in the fight
very little biomass is actually lost when a tyranid dies they just scoop up the corpse to reuse it if the orks did not keep introducing new biomass then the tyranids would run out after a few 1000 years but the gains far outstrip the losses.
>>
Whats stupid is how many different directikns they are coming in from, unless theyre are coming from multiple different consumed galaxies or took their time to go around and under the galaxy but timed it so they all arrived at roughly the same time. Either scenario is ridiculous and makes Tyranids stupidly powerful and undefeatable.
>>
>>44384105
>GRRRREAT! When they deal with the orks - they will be to specialized on fighting orks to effectively oppose Imperial forces.
tyranids have memory they know dam well that there new forms are best for fighting orcs when they go back to humans they will test out the adaptions see what still works even if not as well as against orks and what is useless.
>>
>>44387109
Its a great scenario for a Deathwatch campaign...hmm, the creative juices are flowing
>>
>>44383928
Newcrons are even more powerful
>>
There are not many big galaxies in our local group. The smallest ones probably can't form planets. If the Tyranids are a galactic threat, then I don't see why they would send their biggest forces to such an insignificant part of the Local Supercluster.
>>
>>44387212
there probably attracted by the astronomicom
>>
>>44383944
>>44383905
>>44383972
Are the Orks farming the Nids?
>>
>>44379634
They're gonna lose when the writers want them to lose. I wouldn't put it past them to get rid of the tyranids with some dumb shit like a virus.
>>
>>44387212

Isn't it implied that they are running away from something even worse than them?
>>
>>44387244
Yeah the "we're not selling enough shit and it's time to change it up" threat.
>>
>>44383658

Nah, you're missing a key point. The first and second sentences are not directly related to each other. Abaddon could step up for the 13th time and get his shit pushed in as before, but the Nids are the actual end times.
>>
>>44379800
Vagina fish face space commies ruin everything.

Just like in real life
>>
Pitch the orks against them

Have a hiveship come too close to the eye of terror

engage them in spacefights

A good way to stop tyranids is force them in a series of space battles

Give nurgle a nid to experiment with

Make all nid tendrils meet and eat eachother, then release a new psycothrope toxin once they're all together

Despite being smarter when they're together, nids are just animals. Anyone with half a wit can lure an hungry beastie in a trap
>>
>>44387297
> Abaddon could step up for the 13th time and get his shit pushed in as before

Oh boy the delusion. None of the Black Crusades failed and they are build up to the 13th Black Crusade which is suppose to end the Imperium and the galaxy. If you opened up the rulebooks you will get a clear message that the End Times is Chaos focused while the other threats including the Nids are just sideshows.

If they you referencing the Eye of Terror Campaign, then you're being stupid. It's as stupid as the fantasy suckers who mentioned Storm of Chaos in WHFB threads and hoped that the End Times would be the same thing.
>>
>>44382467
Lies. Typical Nidfanboy lies.

The victory is Chaos is a when. The Emperor is dying and his throne is breaking apart. It's matter of WHEN the Emperor dies.

As for the Necrons? It's always a WHEN. Their awakening and uniting is put forth as something inevitable. AS sure as the coming if the Tyranids

>Chaos will be cut out of the galaxy under the massive shadow in the warp, rendering warp travel impossible.

Speculative bullshit.

The Shadow of the Warp cannot calm Warp storms, for example. They cannoy fix those wounds in reality. With the thinning of the veil between reality and the Warp, and the Chaos Gods and their daemons smashing the walls of reality open, nothing has the power to plug those breaches.
>>
>>44387549
Speaking of speculative bullshit, it is possible that WHEN the Emperor dies, he will go full super-psyan and kick everybody's ass.
>>
A 40k hypothetical. Imagine you are the last of the Old Ones. You have watched the species you helped create grow, fall, live, die, fight, forget, and change. You have seen eons turn, and all your great works turn to forgotten dust and fragmented legend. You have seen your most ancient of foes stir again, and have not had the courage to move against them. One day, an Imperial scout ship wakes you from a millennia long slumber, and you decide (after avoiding it) to reach out with your mind and take stock of the galaxy. You find things much as they have been. Humans everywhere, orks engaged on bloody conflict, the bright minds of the elder suffocated by ritual and wraithbone, the servants of chaos ravening but unsuccessful. On a whim, you stretch your mind further, perhaps as a form of mental exercise. You reach beyond this galaxy to another (maybe the one you came from, if the legends are true, or simply one of the few within reach of your prodigious mental abilities.) When you were much younger, and gathered with hundreds of your fellows to probe the cosmos together, this galaxy was full of life. Though none as powerful in the warp as the elder or orks, it demonstrated flowering diversity, trillions of whispering minds, comforting in the void.
>>
>>44387598
To your horror, you can no longer hear them. It is like dipping a limb into ice water, a horrid freezing nothingness where you remember vibrant life. Probing more carefully, you finally make out a vast shape in the warp. Not the stillness of the warp between galaxies, where nothing lives to project emotions, but an impossibly massive, soulless sentience. A conjoined sentience, beyond anything you and your long dead brethren ever conceived. With sudden certainty, you know that this vast, emotionless mind consumed all life in the galaxy beyond. With insight born of eons of life, you see all its myriad workings spread before you. Its rapid evolution, its hunger for life, its dampening effects on the warp, its endless numbers. You know that infinite eyes already turn towards your own tumultuous galaxy, and you know that in its present state this galaxy stands no chance of survival.
>>
>>44387605
Your species have always been life-crafters. While they possessed many skills and callings, the creation and manipulation of flesh and genes has always been their highest art. So you decide that you must craft a species, something to stand against this impossible threat. You know you have little time, on the scale of evolution, so you decide to alter an existing species rather than create a new one whole cloth. Reaching out with your mind once more, you search the galaxy with focused purpose. Hundreds of races are considered and discarded. This one at war with the humans, and unlikely to survive, that one infected with a deadly mutagen, to voracious to counteract in time, these two studying warp travel carelessly and already infected with cults to the dark gods, others too arrogant, too advanced, not advanced enough, too far from the hive fleets attack path, too fearful of space.
>>
File: Archaon's Destiny.png (4 MB, 1968x1172) Image search: [Google]
Archaon's Destiny.png
4 MB, 1968x1172
>>44387590
Reminds me of a certain someone.

It did not end too well for him.
>>
>>44387609
Finally, you find a small race, primitive yet mouldable. You travel to their world though the webway your people designed, careful to avoid the fallen remnants of your great works. You reach the intended world, and immediately use your abilities to spin up a warpstorm, so that you might work in peace. You know the traits this saviour-species will need. They will need to be rapidly adaptable, in order to counteract the biological prowess of the hive fleet. But this adaptability must exist in a form that the monsters cannot absorb, cannot learn from. This species needs to be resistant to the shadow in the warp, which means that their souls must be dampened. Though this will limit their travel speed, it will also save them when the devourer comes. The species must wish to expand its numbers and its borders, if it is to have the power to counteract the hive fleets. Finally, you know that no matter how quickly you work, you cannot finish a viable counterspecies in time. Thus, your new warriors must be able to understand others, and form alliances quickly, for only unified can the sentients of the galaxy hope to avoid annihilation. Your work takes longer than you had hoped, but finally you are finished. A species more technologically adaptable than any your people have crafted, with a desire for exploration and a thirst for conquest and alliance. Now, you can only watch from afar, and hope.
>>
>>44382733
>Because I remember one thread that had an Anon do some calculations and said that the Nids aren't from our supercluster.

Can you give source on that, or more info?
>>
>>44387616
an interesting theory.
>>
>biomass
>Biomass
>BIOMASS
You do realize they can use raw materials too, right? They take any elements they find useful from a planet. Not just biological stuff.
They can just spawn something to convert elements to more usable stuff for the rest of the fleet. So they would have no problem with tossing necrons into a vat to digest.
>>
>>44387655
im pretty sure thats wrong
>>
>>44387668
If a plant can get nutrients from dirt, water, and sunlight, then why not the hyperevolved worldeaters?
Idiot.
>>
>>44387655
>So they would have no problem with tossing necrons into a vat to digest.

Then why do they avoid Necrons unless Necrons attack them or they are provoked? I am seeing a lot of hot air. It's stated that they aren't very interested in the Necrons because they are not "Fodder for the hive ships".

The Tyranids from what we have seen focus primarily on the biomass and only focus on the surface of the worlds they consume.
>>
>>44387654
Thanks. Much of it is there in the text, sort of. The sudden warp storm, the abrupt evolution. We know the Old Ones could insert technological knowledge at a genetic level from the existence of mechboyz. Plus, I was playing Tau at the time and it always kind of bugged me that you had all these remnants of the great celestial war and galaxy killing hive fleet and stuff running around, and then the little dumbfucks off in the corner.
>>
>>44387677
>>44387682
This is one of the many places the books contradict themselves. Somewhere in one of the nid books it mentions something about them eating the surface of the worlds they consume too, and turning like rock and resources into more monsters. But they also talk about them avoiding 'crons and that one inquisitors plan to just carpet bomb planets in their way working, just at horrific cost. Just another case of 40k writers not talking to each other again.
>>
>>44382978

HIV does not work that way, HIV kills CD4+ T cells, expecially memory ones

>>44382909

You mean autoimmune diseases? The one against which gene recombination, the tyranids speciality, is a garaunteed cure?
>>
Aren't Nurgle's diseases Supernatural in nature? Perhaps the Shadow of the Warp protect them against Nurgle's diseases.
>>
Yeah, the Tyranids are just too big a threat from outside. I prefer 40K to be about entropic decay and internal strife

Eldar are decaying on their own, related to the history of humanity, and fight with the Imperium all the time despite being on the same side in the broadest sense
Necrons are the threat beneath our feet slowly consuming us, the past haunting us
Chaos is spawned from human emotiones, ineradicable and endlessly corrupting
Tau are a result of the Imperium slacking off, and are treading our path. A foil to the Imperium, doomed to fall into the same ways.
etc.

Tyranids are just a bunch of boring bugs from somewhere else. They have no narrative or thematic depth. They say nothing about humans or human nature.
>>
>>44382930
>I am sure one of the crypteck has a biology division that could brew something up with the leftovers.

Knowing Crypteks they'll probably start the project, then have a quarrel and the end result would be half of them turned into exotic matter and flung across the galaxy, half creating a new predatory race that subsist on nids and rocks and multiply uncontrollably, half realizing a perfect host for the biotransference that has the side effect of making nitrogen higly explosive with their very presence and half of them becoming C'tan only to start eating each other and end up self destructing. In the middle of that there would be multiple temporal accidents that resulted in being four halves of them right now.
>>
>>44379634
>So /tg/ how do you see the Tyranids being defeated, if it was even possible?

with psychically active machines that disrupt the synaptic links and tighly, indipendently defended worlds
>>
>>44388006
Tfw your world suffocates under the innumerable tyranid corpses

Checkmate
>>
>>44388026
>>44388006
Necronn need no air.

>with psychically active machines that disrupt the synaptic links and tighly, indipendently defended worlds

Necrons already have those. They are called Null matrices.
>>
>>44388026
I didn't say it would be easy, but that is the course of actions shown to work by necrons and tau.

>inb4 tau a shit
I know, I know, but their defences are structurated differently from the imperium and relatively speaking they are better to fight this menace
>>
>>44379634
humans, crons and eldar have all forgotten things that could probably deal with them in some systematic way

and chaos has the 'kill time and space' move
>>
>>44382909
So... give the hive fleet HIV/ AIDS?

Good luck man, we are right behind you.
>>
>>44386537
>>44386552
IIRC, it directly contradicts other fluff, specifically that Chaos wasn't actually all that bad until the sentient races in the galaxy started fighting a lot and fucking the warp up, thus corrupting it.

If Chaos is a universal phenomena, why would a galactic conflict (which is peanuts to the universe) change it?

The way I resolve that is that chaos is universal, but the versions of the chaos gods that plague the galaxy are local, and limited only to the galaxy. They're as small time to the larger chaos whole as the nids are to the larger universe.
>>
>>44388117
I'd do it.
>>
>>44379634

Emperor wakes up and mindfucks them with his psychedick then goes back to sleep.
>>
>>44388242
>"Wake up" from being a withered corpse
This is what humans actually believe.
>>
>>44388242
>>44388319
He's already awake. He's fighting chaos in the warp.
>>
>>44379634
Well Im kinda behind in the lore updates other than squats being allowed again and necrons becoming free I dont know what they changed. But back in the day their little charge wasnt seen as easy for them either since when it came down to it their biggest weakness was a incredibly poor space power, which was of course the imperiums greater strenghts. Lack of warping, slow and easy to hit ships and general lack of penetration shots really did spell their doom since they NEED to be on the constant move, no bunkering down on an eaten planet.

Their only strenght were their numbers and that you cant keep them all in check.
>>
>>44387109
i want creative melee kills with the mechandrites and techpriest-tools on stupid blue vaginafaces.
>>
File: Must I say more.jpg (152 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Must I say more.jpg
152 KB, 640x480
>>44387109
>>44387196
Take my money.
>>44388420
This.
>>
>>44387682
my guess is that it's the tyranids considering the necrons 'way too much work for a shitty meal'

after all several tomb worlds are covered in plant vegetation and other 'biomass' that they find yummy.
>>
>>44383403
they're actually all followers of Isha, the goddess of life, they want her back from papa nurgle.
>>
>>44387164
>very little biomass is actually lost when a tyranid dies they just scoop up the corpse to reuse it
Unless it was burned by a flamer. Or an artillery shelling. Or and air strike. Or a snazzgun. Or zzap-gun. Or pretty much anything that delivers an overkill. Neither Orks nor Tyranids photosynthesize, and I doubt that their perpetual struggle leaves planets' ecosystem intact. Nids are losing biomass there. They might be getting valuable experience and useful genetic material, but the sheer mass of the fleet dwindles there as in any large stand.

>>44387184
>tyranids have memory
Genetic memory does not work like just recalling it whenever you need it. It would take several generations to push the new adaptations out of the phenotype, and during those Nids would be most vulnerable.

>they know dam well
No they don't. They don't know anything. Knowing requires consciousness - something Tyranids lack period. They posses data and reflective mechanisms or it's processing and implementation. But they cannot think strategically.
>>
>>44387702
How does that contradict anything? They can turn the minerals of the rocks into biomass but they can't turn everything into it, iirc in the books they say planets after being consumed become smaller than they were but they don't consume the planet as a whole just everything that can be converted and the necrons metal is made by who knows what that they probably can't digest, on top of that necrons literally disintegrate the things they fire at, meaning that every nid that dies against them is dead for good.
>>
>>44387109
>>44387196
Space Marine: Deathwatch?

Holy fuck someone please tell Relic to wake up and get going I'd pay so much fucking money for a third person Deathwatch game. Even better with squad commands like Republic Commando.
>>
>>44389648
>Neither Orks nor Tyranids photosynthesize
>Orks don't photosynthesize

anon, you do realize that orks bring along a whole ecosystem of fungi, including ones that photosynthesize. Ork food squigs work just fine as nid food.

Also
>Genetic memory

Go reread hive tyrants/swarm lord, they have personalities (As retarded as it is for such a small bioform to have one) And can recall stuff between battles, hence why they download and spawn the swarmlord when shit gets real.
>>
>>44389793
> including ones that photosynthesize
Link or GTFO.

>Ork food squigs
...are coprophages. They don't produce organics de novo, they digest substances that ork don't, because they can't or it would be too inefficient.

>they have personalities
Yeah, those of really well trained dogs.
>>
>>44379634
Nids make 40k boring.
>>
>>44389898
Orks are 1/3rd algaea and photosynthesize themselves, it stands to reason that the rest of their bullshit ecosystem they bring with them works the same, especially considering they all have the same genetic base.

unless the fluff from 3rd edition/Gorka morka was retconned then:

From Gorkamorka 'Da Uver book'
'Every orkoid is, in a sense, a symbiosis of two biologies within a single structure. As well as a standard gene spiral every Orkoid also possesses a secondary make-up of an algal/fungal base.

The use of the term algae is used several times. Lexicanum also has an entry stating that it's outright said that they have weak photosynthesis supplemented by eating squigs/meat, but I don't have my Ork rulebook handy to give you the page number.

As for Swarmy being a 'dog':
>If the Swarmlord perishes on the battlefield, the Hive Mind re-absorbs its consciousness through the synaptic web. The Swarmlord is therefore deathless, and can be re-grown to face the enemy again, returning each time stronger than ever before.
and
>Indeed, each time it has been reborn, the Swarmlord has been created with the express purpose of out-thinking the enemy and developing new strategies to achieve the greatest results with the warrior-beasts fighting around it. To this end, the Swarmlord possesses more autonomy than any other Tyranid creature yet witnessed. The Swarmlord combines its own resourcefulness with tactical knowledge and experience accumulated through aeons of bloodshed. Such is the Swarmlord's alien cunning that, on several occasions during the Battle of Macragge, it was able to outmanoeuvre and outwit the Ultramarines, warriors whose own tactical acumen is legendary.

If you count the ultramarines as well trained dogs then sure.
>>
>>44387964
>a species eager to consume as much as they can
>they say nothing about human nature
Ok,m8
>>
>>44387964
i agree. They don't fit the whole theme of 40k, just GW adding the zerg to their repertoir for being popular in Star Craft, and because they can be everyone's bad guy.
>>
File: Games-Workshop-Logo.jpg (164 KB, 1391x579) Image search: [Google]
Games-Workshop-Logo.jpg
164 KB, 1391x579
>>44379634
Nerf them again.
>>
>>44390274
>If the Swarmlord perishes on the battlefield, the Hive Mind re-absorbs its consciousness through the synaptic web. The Swarmlord is therefore deathless, and can be re-grown to face the enemy again, returning each time stronger than ever before.
>Indeed, each time it has been reborn, the Swarmlord has been created with the express purpose of out-thinking the enemy and developing new strategies to achieve the greatest results with the warrior-beasts fighting around it. To this end, the Swarmlord possesses more autonomy than any other Tyranid creature yet witnessed. The Swarmlord combines its own resourcefulness with tactical knowledge and experience accumulated through aeons of bloodshed. Such is the Swarmlord's alien cunning that, on several occasions during the Battle of Macragge, it was able to outmanoeuvre and outwit the Ultramarines, warriors whose own tactical acumen is legendary.
That's exactly what I meant. Swarmlord has a fuckhueg IQ, but no actual intelligence or personality - he has no aspirations,no ideals, no beliefs, no imagination or any sort of self-awareness. Just a powerful strategic cogitator strapped to a huge beast ruled by it's killer instincts.
>>
File: fatgenestealers.jpg (139 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
fatgenestealers.jpg
139 KB, 800x800
>>44390375
>GW adding zerg
>zerg
>starcraft released 1998

>tyranid 2nd edition codex (They existed in first, but their theme solidified here and has stayed pretty much the same) 1995

They're the Xenomorph species, you can't even call them a starship troopers ripoff (movie wise, they might have been inspired from the book) since that came out in 1997

They're the ultimate organism, the ultimate predator and represent unrelenting physicality. They are the avatars of nature, representing the cruelty of natural selection.
>>
File: 64mEkzM.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
64mEkzM.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>44390375
>just GW adding the zerg to their repertoir for being popular in Star Craft
OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT
OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT
OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT
>>
>>44384771
plz sauce
>>
>>44390437
>They're the ultimate organism,
Didn't the android said the same thing?
>>
>>44390410
Just because it has an inhuman mindset does not make it a character. It's aspirations is to further help the Hive Fleet conquer worlds for biomass. It must have some sort of imagination to come up with cunning plans.

Face it, if a unique resourcefulness, tactical knowledge and experience is not enough to qualify as an individual character then most spacemarines would not even qualify.
>>
>>44390410
>Swarmlord has a fuckhueg IQ, but no actual intelligence

anon...

he has the only aspiration he needs: To maximize the consumption of all life, when the hive mind isn't letting other hive tyrants train their tactical knowledge, to become little mini-swarm lords.

By the very nature that he can learn and adapt, means that he isn't ruled by instinct, because tactics aren't and will never be 'instinctual'.
>>
File: laugh4.gif (407 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
laugh4.gif
407 KB, 200x199
>>44390473
> if a unique resourcefulness, tactical knowledge and experience is not enough to qualify as an individual character then most spacemarines would not even qualify.
No one said they do
>>
>>44390473
>Most space marines would not qualify
Well yeah, they don't.
Most space marines are not characters.
>>
>>44390375
>yet another person who doesn't know that GW based the nids off of a combination of the bugs from Starship Troopers and the Xenomorphs from aliens, plus some wonky 80s space dinosaur designs. Then Blizzard adapted that into a cooler, refined Zerg design, and then GW later stole it to update the Tyranids. They've been copying one another for two better products for years.

Unless you're just another troll. Either way, I prefer nids to zerg. They just pull the design off better to me.
>>
>>44390497
Many animals can learn and adapt to new environments and scenarios.
That doesn't mean they aren't also ruled by their own instincts.
>>
>>44390473
Evidence of self-awareness or GTFO.

>>44390497
>tactics aren't and will never be 'instinctual'
Prove it.
>>
>>44390473
> It must have some sort of imagination to come up with cunning plans
Evolution came up with your smartass buttcheeks without any imagination. Without even being intelligent. Supercomputers find optimal ways of protein folding without any intelligence.
>>
>>44390535
> the bugs from Starship Troopers
>Starship troopers (Movie) released 1997
>Tyranids 2nd edition codex released 1995

Get out

>>44390541
Prove that humans are self-aware.
>>
>>44390535
I don't know. Even tough with their fluff invincibility to everything the othe factions do, the nids are still "just another" faction, while the zergs take an absolute major role in their universe
>>
>>44390541

When you put a baby swarmlord in front of a mirror and point a laser at its head plates or ridges or whatever, they touche their head, not the mirror. So, you know, self-awareness.
>>
>>44390497
>because tactics aren't and will never be 'instinctual'.

no wait, you seriously believe this?
>>
>>44384241

>hive fleets don't lose biomass

They do the same way you and I do. Their starships must require obscene quantities of bio mass to keep moving and that could be the reason they keep devouring.
>>
File: Kerrigan Booty.jpg (422 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Kerrigan Booty.jpg
422 KB, 2560x1440
>>44390573
True. I myself am biased because I just really don't like Starcraft, but the zerg definitely have presence over the nids, who GW has had to force into the spotlight by looking like the ultimate galactic extinction event, as in OP's image.

Also they have Kerrigan, who I hate as a character, but love as fap material. Genestealers plz steal.
>>
>>44390568
>Prove that humans are self-aware.
"Do I exist? Well, I think therefore I am"

There, I questioned the nature of the process I experience and reflect on and came up with a satisfying answer. I separate myself (that which experiences) from my memories and senses (that which is experienced).
>>
>>44390583
you're mistaking mass and energy.
ships need reactive mass for conventional travels, but tyranids' have their narvals for bending space and solar sails for both long and close manouvers, conventional propulsion is suggested by their ships designs, but the mass expelled in such situations would result irrilevant considering that's used this close to the target planet to draw more biomass from.
>>
File: inuwye.png (355 KB, 529x816) Image search: [Google]
inuwye.png
355 KB, 529x816
>>44390616
>Also they have Kerrigan, who I hate as a character, but love as fap material. Genestealers plz steal.
agreed.
>>
>>44390682
>you're mistaking mass and energy
E = mc^2. No matter what tyranids do - it costs them energy, and that energy they need to get somewhere. Usually, it's in the mass.

>tyranids' have their narvals for bending space
Does that process break the conservation of energy principle? I.e. - do they bend space for free?
>>
While we are there; how do nids travel between systems? They drift for centuries, or enter the warrp somehow?
Which they are completely immune to, for some reason.
>>
>>44390583

Except we have fluff about the Octaria war where an entire splinter fleet was reborn from the biomass of a single desert world. So there's that.
>>
File: 2e nids.jpg (163 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
2e nids.jpg
163 KB, 1024x685
>>44390568
Dude, the book came out in 1959. GW simply put the xenomorph face on the "Bug War" concept Starship Troopers made popular. Hence why the textures of the nids in the 2nd edition are so skeletal and giger-like, even though they're not quite as insectoid as they'd become after the Starship Troopers movie and Starcraft would influence their visuals in the next update.
>>
>>44390736
>While we are there; how do nids travel between systems? They drift for centuries, or enter the warrp somehow?
They achieve near-lightspeed and also they warp space somewhat. In the end, it still takes them decades and centuries to get from one system to another.

>Which they are completely immune to, for some reason.
I headcannon it this way:
Warp is shaped by the minds of galaxy's inhabitants. So when lots and lots of Tyranids come by, their "minds", absolutely alien to whatever we have here, change and twist the warp until it no longer resembles anything we're used to.

They overshadow our Immaterium by replacing it with their own one.
>>
File: 19.jpg (625 KB, 1168x1618) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
625 KB, 1168x1618
>>44390736
Until 5th edition, warp travel. The 5th edition codex replaced that with the Narvhal, pic related, which detects a distant planetary system and "can then somehow harness that system's own gravity, creating a compressed-space transit corridor through which the Narvhal, and nearby vessels, can cover vast distances."
>>
>>44390727
>E = mc^2.
that's for nuclear reactions, dumbass.
in all chemical reactions, like all biological ones, there's conservation of total mass, with no exceptions.

>do they bend space for free?
the process is not explained, but the whole fleet moves thanks to minuscle ships, it's probable that the bending of space for super luminal travel breaks physics and thermodynamics, yeah.

we do not have to exclude the element of psychical energy, that we know the nids can harness using the hive mind and are able to channel it in relatively small creatures too, like zoanthropes.
>>
>>44390827
>in all chemical reactions, like all biological ones, there's conservation of total mass, with no exceptions.
Conservation of total mass, but VAST expending of usable one. If they are just burning organics for energy, it means that a hive fleet turns kilotons of organic matter onto unusable CO2 every second just to stay kicking.
>>
>>44390870
grimdark
>>
>>44390779
>Starcraft would influence their visuals in the next update.
honestly, despite all the talk, I still don't see these zerg visuals that passed to the tyranids apart from the concept of the ravener and the elongated crest, but even that it traces back to the xenomorphs again.

really, starship troopers, xenomorphs and 2nd ed nids, where're the zergs' traits?
>>
>>44382536
>Tyranids are actually surrounding the galaxy.

Says who?
>>
>>44390870
you're implying the fleet is not, in fact. the huge and complex ecosystem it is described as and that it would be unable to hold waste products to then reutilize the greater, if not complete, part of them with further intake of energy in the sytem.

>CO2
>unusable
>laughing photosyntesis.jpg

do you know how ecosystems work?
>>
>>44390814
Why don't the Necrons do that instead of relying on the webway?
>>
>>44391105
because the webway is the best FTL and strategic resource ever and the necrons, being the greatest freeloaders the galaxy has ever seen, must have it.

they have inertialess drives anyway.
>>
File: 08.jpg (939 KB, 1156x1621) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
939 KB, 1156x1621
>>44391105
Because the webway is super fast even though it tries to kill them, and they apparently don't have any viable alternatives due to reasons.
>>
>>44391105
Webway is superior.
>>
>>44391146
Aren't the dolmens in short supply? I don't think all tombs have those.

>they have inertialess drives anyway.

But are they FTL?
>>
>>44391164
If the webway tries to kill, then how is it possible for the Necrons to war with the Eldar in the webway.

You are not making sense, senpai.
>>
>>44391105
Wait, I thought the necrons used inertialess drives for easy hyperspace. Did the newcrons change that?
>>
>>44391182
>Aren't the dolmens in short supply?

Currently active ones are, but the Cron's can build them.

>But are they FTL?

Not quite.
>>
>>44391229
>If the webway tries to kill, then how is it possible for the Necrons to war with the Eldar in the webway.

Necrons enter webway and shoot and chop Eldar.
>>
>>44391237
>but the Cron's can build them.

I don't think it was ever stated that they can build them.
>>
>>44379634
non-40k fan guy here
saw the image, came in to look
>what are those fleets?

What's the deal with tyranids? I don't know much about 40k, but I occasionally see people talking about tyranids, which I gather are starship trooper bug knock-offs....why are space bugs a serious threat in this setting?
>>
>>44391264
They were shown how to by the C'tan.
Nothing says this is a lost or forgotten art.
>>
>>44391273
>why are space bugs a serious threat in this setting?

There is a lot of them.
>>
>>44391254
Yep, but they are borrowed time since the webway would isolate and kill them. It's said that they must reach their destination before that happens.

Then we have fluff having them fighting wars with the Eldar inside the webway.
>>
>>44382805
>Norm Queen
I chuckled
>>
>>44391291
>Yep, but they are borrowed time since the webway would isolate and kill them.

And...?
>>
File: 17.jpg (687 KB, 1156x1621) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
687 KB, 1156x1621
>>44391229
Dangerous terrain tests every turn.

>>44391234
See >>44391164
>As a race bereft of psykers, the Necrons are incapable of Warp travel, and without access to the webway, they would be forced to rely once more on slow-voyaging stasis-ships, dooming them to isolation.
>>
>>44391274
If making them was easy for the necrons then the codex wouldn't have mentioned that plenty of them were lost.

It seems to imply that they are precious and rare.
>>
>>44391305
Impossible to wage war since if they cannot get out of the webway swiftly they would be destroyed.
>>
>>44391095
Nids do not photosynthesize. If they did there would be no point in the whole great devouring thing.
>>
>>44391330
>If making them was easy for the necrons then the codex wouldn't have mentioned that plenty of them were lost.

>It seems to imply that they are precious and rare.

Something being precious and rare does not mean it cannot be made. As of now they represent a key strategic resource for the Necrons and their conquest of the galaxy, making them very precious indeed.

But again, it was said that they were shown how it was done, not that they were just given them.
>>
>>44391303
That's what they're called right?
>>
>>44391347
>Impossible to wage war

>Missions cannot take place in hazardous environments
>Missions cannot have time limits

Stop being wrong.
>>
>>44391273
1: Fuck off with the knock off thing
2: As >>44391287 said, there are a lot of them. The threat lies in the fact that like an undead plague scenario, every one of your lost troops becomes one of theirs. And every one of their lost troops become one of theirs. Every planet that falls becomes more nids. On top of that they are hyper adaptive and have organic tech to fill most rolls other species use non organic tech for.

Battles with them are either total victories, or total loss. Either they win, and they reclaim their lost material and then some from the fallen and the planet, or the lose and have to flee with the loss of biomass.
>>
File: Life without the Warp.png (24 KB, 412x445) Image search: [Google]
Life without the Warp.png
24 KB, 412x445
>>44391164
Small portions of the webway or large portions? Make up your mind, GW.
>>
>>44391379
The Necrons being slow and ponderous are not built for the time limit missions.

Waging war in the webway would be pointless since Necrons should not be able to win any ground control.
>>
>>44390573
>Why does a faction in a setting where there are only 3 playable factions have more of a presence, than a setting with with 16 playable factions.
>Most of those factions are 'everything is fucked tier, instead of just the one'

gee i wonder why
>>
Nids are weak because numbers it's all they've got going for them. They're inferior in technology even to the orks. Sure they may adapt their biological form, but as the Mechanicus have long known, the flesh is weak. Just nuke them.
>>
>>44391436
>The Necrons being slow and ponderous are not built for the time limit missions.

First of all, you cannot say that at all if you do not have a set time limit.
Secondly, Necrons are capable of going very fast.

>Waging war in the webway would be pointless since Necrons should not be able to win any ground control.

Necrons would be able to kill Eldar and destroy their webway strongholds. Regular patrols could also be used to enforce their sovereignty of webway spurs.
>>
File: Damnos awakens.png (290 KB, 784x371) Image search: [Google]
Damnos awakens.png
290 KB, 784x371
>>44391436
Which makes me wonder how this happened.
>>
File: 5KeMtDu.jpg (54 KB, 500x416) Image search: [Google]
5KeMtDu.jpg
54 KB, 500x416
>>44391459
Oh okay, why didnt I think of that
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.