[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>join science fiction game >ask for a description of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: 1395255563383.jpg (475 KB, 896x1410) Image search: [Google]
1395255563383.jpg
475 KB, 896x1410
>join science fiction game
>ask for a description of the setting
>"no aliens, only human stellar nations"
>America IN SPACE, naturally the designated good guys
>Germany IN SPACE
>Thinly veiled Muslims IN SPACE
>Japan IN SPACE
>France IN SPACE, except with Indian-ish (I think?) sounding names
>Russia IN SPACE, except they are black people for some reason and have body tattooes (?)
>Goddamn fucking ISRAELIS IN SPACE, there's a stellar nation whose "state religion" is Judaism, fucking Christ

How fast should I fuck out of that game?
>>
>>44378741
The premise is just a bit unimaginative is all. Nothing to overreact to. Maybe you could speak with the GM and the other players about a plotline deconstructing the "designated good guy"-ness of America IN SPACE, or something.

Again, the setting seems pretty generic to me, but is there anything you know about the plot of the game?
>>
>>44378741
>Thinly veiled Muslims IN SPACE
>Thinly veiled Muslims

Dammit Carlos!
>>
>>44378741
Sounds like every sci-fi setting ever.
>>
>>44379530
The Jews are new.
>>
>Russia IN SPACE, except they are black people for some reason and have body tattooes

SHIT, YOUR DM DISCOVERED OUR RUSE
>>
>>44379562
dune did it
>>
>>44378741
what system is the GM using I've been looking to run something similar albeit hopefully more inspired
>>
>>44378741
You sound like an anti-Semite.
>>
>>44378741
You sound like you're already dedicated to disliking this setting, but the odds are that you didn't even get invited to a game and just made this all up to get some /pol/ trolling in.

On the off chance that you actually did get invited to a game, you clearly don't want to play in it, which makes me wonder why you would bother making a thread.
>>
I have a DM that just put the Elder Scrolls races in space in a Mass Effect council and when he tried to run a middle ages political intrigue campaign he just used the Song of Ice and Fire houses down to the characters in them so I'm a little jaded to shit like that now.
>>
Nice dude, hope you enjoy Infinity. The ruleset is really tight.
>>
>>44378741
Sounds like fun. What's the problem?
>>
>>44378741

This is Battletech, isn't it?

You're just describing Battletech.

You have a problem with Battletech, son?
>>
>>44378741
>Russia IN SPACE, except they are black people
What, you've never heard of a Black Russian?
>>
File: 1389392956751.jpg (29 KB, 460x692) Image search: [Google]
1389392956751.jpg
29 KB, 460x692
>>44383037
>>
>>44378741
Originality is overrated. If they're okay dudes stick around.
>>
>>44378741
I played a great campaign in a setting like that, basically it was Colonization-Space and we had a great time. Ended up siding with America basically playing Cowboys. In space. Don't be a sperglord, if the GM is cool the setting doesn't matter.

Our arc covered the invention of teleportation, huge game changer for the existing factions in the setting. Our crew ended up carrying the head scientist who discovered the technology and we finished the game out shaping the rest of this universe. Did not turn out like we had anticipated.
>>
File: 1417504018776.jpg (73 KB, 856x516) Image search: [Google]
1417504018776.jpg
73 KB, 856x516
>>44378741
>>America IN SPACE, naturally the designated good guys

You're Goddamned right.
>>
>>44378741
>>join science fiction game
I believe you meant to say
>join space opera game
because that's clearly what that game is
>>
>>44379562
Deep space 9, jackass
>>
>>44380028
lolwhat? How's that in any way anti-semitic?
>>
>>44383747
I meant a nation of Jewish humans. Jewish humans are rare in space opera as it is (all I can really think of is Susan Ivanova), a whole nation of them I don't think's ever been done. Some settings give them a single colony/city (Horeb from Eclipse Phase, New Zion from High Colonies, etc.) but that's not the same.

Anthropologically speaking it's actually an interesting concept since the religion of Judaism is strongly tied to specific locations on Earth. On the other hand, it has survived for millennia outside of it - but on the other, other hand, it didn't do so as a coherent nation.
>>
>>44379562
Hyperion had space kibbutzes and Jewish-settled planets in the Hegemony. Actually sounds most like what OP is describing, as that book actually had Muslim jihadists IN SPACE.
>>
>>44378741
It sounds like it might actually be a bit of fun if you let go of your need for aliums. I'd certainly play it.
>>
>>44378741

Sci-fi settings with only humans are garbage

there i said it
>>
>>44378741
Having no aliens is probably a good thing, because it means that if you *do* see blue humanoids they're genemodding freaks or deviants or a splinter-faction out to do some shit, instead of just a lame as fuck 'why can't we all get along' Star Trek shit thing.

The rest is lame. I've always tried really hard to make settings that are extrapolations from either the natural conclusions or total cessation of current trends, *without* resorting to the stale, old 'we're this nation but IN SPACE' thing.

That's not to say those countries have no place in a space-future setting, but having the entirety of the setting's politics just be Earth-Cubed is kind of lame.
>>
>>44385885
>Jewish humans are rare in space opera

Someone clearly doesn't read enough Jewish science fiction.
>>
>>44386303
Is that a thing, besides maybe Asimov?
>>
>>44383644

Finally, someone else who was getting that G Gundam vibe.
>>
>>44379562
>>44379949
So did Mel Brooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo
>>
>>44387129
Gundam Fighters Try was only worth it for delicious chubby twintails girl.

There. Said it. You may go on.
>>
>>44378741
Israel actually doesn't sound bad for a villainous organization in a science fiction setting. Militant, religious, paranoid - but also very self-righteous. Kind of like the Systems Alliance from Mass Effect.
>>
>>44387382
There's a theory on /tg/ that the Systems Alliance and the Batarians are actually meant to mirror the relationship between Israel and the Palestinians, with the SA being Israel.
>>
>>44383064
Black people can move to Russia, same way black people can move to Britain and get British accents, and how America, stereotypically white and fat, has black people who call themselves American.
>>
>>44388132
I think it was a pun, since Black Russian is a drink. 2 parts Coffee liqueur, 5 parts Vodka, all parts delicious.

Fuck now I want one.
>>
>>44378741

You should fuck the fuck in. That sounds great and I'd be happy to play. Probably as a terrorist of some sort though.
>>
>>44388158
Ahh...several other threads got my jimmies all rustled, I was a bit too quick to react.

This doesn't sound like a bad space opera game, though if you hate it as much as you say you do, and they're trying to pretend it's SF not space opera, theeeen you should probably leave and come back later to see if they churn out anything more to your liking.
>>
>>44388132

Those are extremely different cases. Most American Africans are former slaves. British Africans are mostly runaway colonials. Russian Africans are people who went to study here and never came back.

Russian Africans are great though, because unlike the ones in Anglo-Saxon countries they soon become indistinguishable from normal Russians if they want to live. They end up drinking vodka from the bottle and speaking fluent mat, and then fit in perfectly with everyone around them. Most Russians aren't racist, we just hate foreigners and blacks are usually obviously foreigners UNLESS they act like human beings as described above.
>>
>>44388182

Sorry should've added "and people descended from the above". No particular hatred or contempt towards ex-slaves or ex-colonials intended either, just a statement of fact that it's a different kind of relationship when your ancestors either owned those people or the islands they were left on or both in the not too distant part.
>>
>>44378741
when you have crushed all other forces under the 4. Reich - In Space! Glory to Germany..
maybe team up with russia and france (but only the female half of france!)
>>
>>44378741

Not seeing the problem here kiddo. Perhaps you can elaborate what in particular has drawn your ire? Or is it supposed to be obvious?
>>
>>44386445

The Strugatskies were Jewish actually. But I don't think they put a lot of Jews in space. They just wanted to write about Russians in space but Soviet censorship forced them to squeeze some Germans in instead.
>>
>>44378741
"Incredibly generic setting" isn't particularly a good reason to fuck out of a game. Most people aren't going to worldbuild an Incredible Original Deep Setting.

Does it act as a backdrop against which starships and lasers and space adventures may be set? Then it's servicable.
>>
>>44378741
Scifi with no aliens? Only vaguely racist space-states? Quick, get a place on a mining ship and smuggle a pregnant cat on board. Three billion years in stasis should give enough time for the space Jews to due out.
>>
>>44388290

How are they racist, vaguely or otherwise? Is being identified as Russian (or black) enough for something to be considered racist in your country now?
>>
I'm imagining Israelis in space as being something between the Romulans and the Caldari from EVE Online.
>>
>>44388320
not that anon or OP, but I'd imagine that if OP's really that upset by it then it's probably a bunch of really shitty cliche offensive caricatures.

I mean, otherwise OP's just being a whiny faggot, but I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>44388426
Don't you know OP is always a faggot?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.