[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/, why didn't GW do the obvious thing with the Necrons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: Nightbringer_art.jpg (86 KB, 455x639) Image search: [Google]
Nightbringer_art.jpg
86 KB, 455x639
/tg/, why didn't GW do the obvious thing with the Necrons and just add more C'tan? The fact that there was only a grand total of four (and only two of those being playable) was fucking retarded. All they had to do was add some more. Just make all the New ICs ctan . why did we have to get the retarded as fuck newcrons?
>>
>>44368158
>yfw retards can't even tell newcrons are retarded

I seriously read in a thread a few days ago someone said "why are newcrons retarded" then went "so you can't answer the question?" when called a retard for not being able to see why.
>>
>>44368158
I thought one of the issues with oldcron fluff was that the C'Tan had become too big of a deal in the setting, being materium star-eating gods of infinite power that were anathema to the Warp. I feel like adding more would've exacerbated that presence they had and pulled more focus from other things.
>>
>>44368158
Because newcrons is one of the few good changes.
>>
>>44368367

Necrons are still anathema to the Warp AND immune to Tyranids. They've solved none of the old problems. The entire 13th Black Crusade which is this huge deal is basically "lol ancient Necron obelisks".
>>
>>44368248
It just seems silly to retcon the entire race into basically the same thing. Its just a 1% ruling over the mindless 99%. All we needed was the opportunity to diversify instead of EdgeScytheLord and Tzneetch 2.0. Ill give the newdex the benefit of the fact that C'tan shards can be customised to represent different C'tan.
>>
>>44368158
I never played Necrons, but I always thought it was another one of those Your Dudes situations, like the missing astartes legions used to be. So you could make your own C'tan shard units to represent your specific tomb world if you wanted to, allowing for endless possibilities.
>>
>>44368400
>Its just a 1% ruling over the mindless 99%

NECRONS ARE AMERICA!

ILLUMINATI DYNASTY CONFIRMED
>>
>>44368534
MELTA FUEL CAN'T MELT LIVING METAL
>>
>>44368248
Newcrons are pretty cool though.
>>
>>44368838
>he thinks retarded things can't be cool

Get a load of this uncool retard.
>>
>>44368158
I like newcrons fluff.
>>
While Newcrons didn't fix the problem Oldcrons had with shoehorning them into everything in history, it did fix one of the biggest problems they suffered: being boring as shit.

The concept was there, but hadn't been expanded too far from the Terminator joke that they stated as. The army lacked real character and didn't really fill a niche of their own, they were tougher robot Tyranids. Sure, Newcrons are basically Tomb Kings in space, but its still better than they used to be.
>>
File: Xenology end 1.png (2 MB, 644x934) Image search: [Google]
Xenology end 1.png
2 MB, 644x934
>>44371057
Saying they are metal Tyranids automatically leads to your post being discarded.

The Oldcrons end goal was conquest and enslavement of the galaxy while the Tyranids want just to feed on it.

They could have given the Oldcrons character (we had talking Oldcron Lords) and junk without resorting to the mess that is Newcron lore which did much to rob the Necrons out of their menace and dignity as a faction.

Furthermore, the whole "shoehorning" nonsense? Nobody is buying it. The Necrons improved on the setting by adding cool lore to the setting. For example, the War in Heven was just a one line piece of fluff about Kaine beating up Vaul. Now it's a mythical epic galactic war between progenitor races where reality was torn asunder and gods dueled in heaven and earth. An event that explains why the setting is the way it is.
>>
File: Xenology end 2.png (2 MB, 649x889) Image search: [Google]
Xenology end 2.png
2 MB, 649x889
>>44371444
In recent years GW, BL, FW have been trying to restore some of the menace and dignity that was lore during the Great Wardening.

I am afraid it's mostly futile. Taking the Necrons seriously with clowns like Trazyn and Krispekh is nigh-impossible.
>>
>>44371444
Not him, but the nid comparison isn't about how they go about their emergence/invasion, but about the tone of both armies being soulless, unfeeling hordes more akin to natural disasters wiping out all life around them.
>>
>>44371444
The War in Heaven change was a good one, I'll agree with that, though it confuses the point of Eldar gods being immaterial or material. But the menace part was better when they were just mysterious minor mentions in lore in things like Gorkamorka. When they became a full army, they just became ANOTHER galaxy consuming threat, like Chaos, Nids, and full Ork WAAAAGHs when GW doesn't feel like using them as canon fodder mooks to show off how awesome the current army book's force is.

>>44371527 puts it right about the tone of the old army.
>>
>>44371527
Tyranids are noisy, fast moving, and verminous deluge. Tyranids are neither soulless or unfeeling. They are animals. They strike where ever biomass is located. Their threat is apparent and it is screamed at you.

The Necrons on the other hand are slow moving, utterly silent, organized phalanxes of warrior machines. They are a threat not yet risen, only few glimpses of fluff describe what they would be to the galaxy. Their agendas is unfathomable to the in-verse characters. In the out-verse, their agenda is the enslavement of life, not its destruction.

The Tyranids tone is dread locust. Necrons are the inevitable and inescapable onset of death.

And what's wrong with having three horde-like factions? WHFB has like three savage barbarian horde based faction (Ogres, Beastmen, and Orcs). I don't see anyone complaining.
>>
>>44368158
>go my minions; slaughter the living while i pose in the air
>>
>>44371606
>hey just became ANOTHER galaxy consuming threat, like Chaos, Nids, and full Ork WAAAAGHs

There is nothing wrong with that. The development of Necron lore started in mystery and myth, It was suppose to slowly progress and accumulated dread and menace until it became a horrible reality for the setting. The whole "rising doom"/Lovercraftian shtick.

But that was thrown out the window for the sake of tap dancing Overlords.
>>
>>44371664
That's because nobody plays fantasy anymore :^)
>>
>>44371482
You can't take anything seriously in 40K to begin with.
Space marines eat brains to read memories.
Space marines use a giant metal fist to punch tanks and this strategy works for some reason.
>>
File: Annihalation_Barge.jpg (79 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
Annihalation_Barge.jpg
79 KB, 873x627
>>44368248
Newcrons are retarded because so many of their miniatures are a necron + a machine.

Pic related. What's the point? Why would necron vehicles even have cock pits? It should be like the destroyers where the necron IS the machine.
>>
File: tomb blade.jpg (46 KB, 379x455) Image search: [Google]
tomb blade.jpg
46 KB, 379x455
New
>>
File: destroyer.jpg (65 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
destroyer.jpg
65 KB, 873x627
>>44372660
old
>>
>>44371482
>taking stuff in 40k seriously
The entire setting is a joke you sperg. Everything in it literally stems from a joke.
>>
>>44372687
No, it isn't.

Back the days of Rogue Trader it was a joke setting. Now the setting has grown up and became its own thing and expects you to take it seriously.

The whole "40K is parody" at this point of time is a meme spouted by dudes who don't read much fluff.

>>44372537
See above.

There are somethings over-the-top aka "rule of cool", then there silly stuff that undermine the setting or parts of the setting.

>>44372648
Like nearly everything else in Newcron lore it can be explained with just one word. Tradition.

Necrontyr piloted their vehicles that way so the Necrons will do the same.

The Destroyers who fuse themselves with machinery are looked down upon by sane(ish) Necron becuse the Necrons see themselves as people and not machines.
>>
>>44372818
>expects you to take it seriously.
Only by the people who don't get black comedy.
The setting is so over the top bleak, you are supposed to laugh about it. You are supposed to laugh about space orcs, space elves, space dwarves.
>>
File: 05.jpg (526 KB, 1164x1611) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
526 KB, 1164x1611
>>44368158
Yeah, there should have been more C'tan from the start, if nothing else, to at least move away from the particular number they went with. Ideally there would also be more ways of personalising armies beyond just the choice of C'tan, while still keeping them as a race of spoopy skellington slave-soldiers in servitude to spoopy star-vampires, but here we are.

>>44368367
The complaints about the C'tan weren't about their power, they were mainly about their background intruding on that of other armies, especially the Eldar whose War in Heaven myth was subsumed into the 'real' War in Heaven. Not to mention the Old One stuff, Machine God Dragon, Pariah gene, etc. There were other issues people had, certainly, but "C'tan did it" was a far bigger one than "C'tan too stronk".

>>44372648
Destroyers are now mentally damaged Necrons who literally want to destroy everything and modify themselves to do so. Regular Newcrons are afraid of making themselves more machine than they already are, so they use the same manually operated vehicles they always did. Meaning Necrontyr aircraft pilots apparently always flew around in open, unshielded cockpits (Arks and Barges have quantum shielding, but the Scythes don't).
>>
>>44372828
Nope.

The setting tries to be a serious space (melo)drama. Just because it incorporates fantasy elements and adds in humor there and there doesn't mean the whole setting is a joke.

Heck, 40K stories are told with a straight face and the disasters and atrocities in them are suppose to deliver a punch.

>>44372837
>The complaints about the C'tan weren't about their power, they were mainly about their background intruding on that of other armies, especially the Eldar whose War in Heaven myth was subsumed into the 'real' War in Heaven. Not to mention the Old One stuff, Machine God Dragon, Pariah gene, etc. There were other issues people had, certainly, but "C'tan did it" was a far bigger one than "C'tan too stronk".

A superficial and meaningless compliant if I ever saw one. I guess people are okay with having Chaos being the root cause for everything and not have any competition in that department.

>War in Heaven

It was a one line piece of fluff before the Oldcrons came, that no one gave a crap about. Suddenly, when the Newcron retcon came along everyone started to harp on it as the greatest crime in human history. I think it's a manufactured outrage more than anything else.
>>
Crons are death
Nids are famine
The Imperium is War
Chaos is pestilence
The Orks are Ronnie soak
>>
File: thisiscarnac.jpg (38 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
thisiscarnac.jpg
38 KB, 360x361
>>44371444
>>44371482
>>44371664
>>44371697
>>44372818
>>44372890
>>
>>44372818
That's actually why newer 40k isn't as good as older, it takes itself too seriously.
>>
>>44372959
Piss off.

>>44373090
I disagree.

Another thing about the whole "It's all joke" crap is that it I am 100% sure it won't be used as an excuse if the Tyranids were hit with the silly wacky bat.

If the core elements of the Nids were rubbed out to make them a more humorous and "characterful" race, oh boy the rage that it will induce. No one would say dudes "chill out it's just a joke setting". I mean the Swarmlord and SC Nids are already lighting a fire beneath the Nidfanboys butts. A Newcron like retcon would ignite the whole keg.

So I guess it's hypothetical double standard.
>>
>>44372828
I don't know man, the story about the baneblade commander with the flayed inquisitor was pretty black, but not very funny.
>>
>>44368994
>Someone disagrees with me
>I better call them a retard
Oldcrons were shit as a faction in a tabletop game. In a video game, sure, as background fine, but as a player army they had no customizability, no character. What makes your Necron army special? Nothing, no great leaders, no unique reasons for existing, no desires, simply mindless machines. At least Tyranids can have something like a hive fleet that underwent strange evolutionary paths due to the threats it faced.
>>
>>44368158
>just add more C'tan?
Because that would have produced a handful of models that no one needed more than one of. Instead we got a pile of gigundous, (table) fragile, and expensive models that everyone needs multiples of.

Simple, really.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.