[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm runner out of good shit to read. What are some good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 616x795) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 616x795
I'm runner out of good shit to read.
What are some good /tg books?
>>
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
>>
>>44360056

What have you read and liked so far? Give us something to work with.
>>
>>44360056
Anathem
Worm
Pact (more vital than worm)
>>
Aeronaut's Windlass, by Jim Butcher, came out recently and was enjoyable.

Basically, Steampunk written by the guy who does Dresden Files. So, interesting world, snappy dialogue, some cool stuff.
>>
Jack Campbell's Pillars of Reality is pretty good so far. The first three books are already out, and the last three are coming out all next year.
>>
>>44360302

Why is Pact "more vital?"

Read Anathem and Worm, enjoyed them.
>>
Book Of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe
House On The Borderlands by William Hope Hodgson
>>
Not a fantasy book, but I found Meditations by Marcus Aurelius to be a really handy guide for playing a paladin that isn't a total derpsack.
>>
>>44360056
The Expanse by SA Corey. Very good Space opera/horror novel series set in our solar system.
>>
>>44360292
Fafrd and grey mouser
The waterborn
Lies of lock lamora
The blade itself
>>
>>44360631

Already these >>44360603 but also The Nightland by William Hope Hodgson. The Elric Of Melnibone and/or Corum series by Michael Moorcock.

>>44360623
This also, plus Fear & Trembling by kierkegaard really gives you some cool shit to work with. Also good reads. Plato's Republic if you want to get some neat inspiration for fantasy world building.
>>
>>44360326
Pact is fantasy and not sci fi, is all

Plus it's about half as long
>>
Perdido Street Station, by China Meiville, and its sequels, are weird fantasy fun.
>>
File: butiwanttogetoff.jpg (136 KB, 553x936) Image search: [Google]
butiwanttogetoff.jpg
136 KB, 553x936
Probably unrelated: Poked at The Name of the Wind, four pages in there's a stone spider demon, remember hearing good things about it, buy it on impulse.

Thirty pages in, an anime-haired edgelord is just settling down to jack himself off about how awesome he is over the course of three days matching three books. THEN I remember you faggots warning me about this very thing: Some sue stuck in a broken down tavern in the middle of nowhere, can't use his magic sword or magic box or magic magic, but has sex with literal sex goddesses and everyone who dislikes him is a tool, so I guess there's a little dispute over whether that makes him a sue or not! I just didn't remember the name and didn't pay enough attention to the jackoffy blurb on the back. Turns out I'd heard of Kvothe after all.

How badly did I dun goofed? Opinions were split last time I saw it being discussed, but "it's good/parts of it are good/you will not gouge your eyes out reading it, but the main char's an ultrasue" seemed fairly common as I remember it.

>>44360743
And then there's these assholes, posting interesting historical stuff.
>>
Fantasy:
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Three Parts Dead, etc)
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser (Fritz Leiber)
Stardust (Neil Gaiman)
The Last Unicorn (Peter S. Beagle)
The Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China that Never Was (Barry Hughart)
Sir Apropos of Nothing (Peter David)

Sci-Fi:
The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm (Nancy Farmer) - if you read one book on this list, I hope it's this one.
A Canticle for Leibowitz (Walter Miller)
The Illustrated Man (Ray Bradbury)
The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula Le Guin)
Forty Signs of Rain (Kim Stanley Robinson)

Urban Fantasy/Misc:
American Gods (Neil Gaiman)
The Golden Compass (Phillip Pullman) - Read this, read the second book (The Subtle Knife) if you liked the first one, DO NOT read the third, it's pretty shit.
Good Omens (Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett)
The Young Wizards series/The Book of Night with Moon (Diane Duane)
Rivers of London (Ben Aaronovitch)

What The Fuck Am I Reading/ /lit/shit:
Invisible Cities (Italo Calvino)
The Nonexistent Knight and the Cloven Viscount (Italo Calvino)
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (Haruki Murakami)
1Q84 (Haruki Murakami)
Illuminatus! (Robert Anton Wilson)
Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
>>
File: Lord Juss.jpg (48 KB, 512x582) Image search: [Google]
Lord Juss.jpg
48 KB, 512x582
>>44360056
>>44360631
The Worm Ouroboros. Read it.
>>44361329
>The Golden Compass
Why the shit did they change that from Northern Lights.
>>
Gentlemen of the Road is fun if you like Fafhrd and Gray Mouser.

And Jews.
>>
>>44362056
Probably 'cause they had A Thing going with the item name for Subtle Knife.
>>
The Safehold books started out alright. And then character bloat took over, and a little convention where normally pronounced names were spelled in abnormal ways (Razhyr = Roger) became more obnoxious than trying to read fucking welsh due to that character bloat.

Now that shit can get fucked.
>>
Joe abercrombie First law trilogy.
better than those shitty books above
>>
Any good books from a kingly/ head of state perspective?
>>
>>44362307
Scott Westerfled's The Risen Empire/The Killing of Worlds for scifi.
Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Staveley for fantasy.

The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker for philosophical fiction. Probably the wisest fiction I've read.
>>
>>44362307
Once and Future King, T.S. Eliot
>>
>>44360924
Fuck China. He's only good at writing the beginning of stories
>>
>>44362385
He's also quite the pervert, excuse me, I mean "he enjoys magical realms."
>>
>>44362307
I, Claudius.
>>
>Matthew Swift Series
Unknown Armies Urbanomancer gets shit done in London.

>City of Stairs
Spiritual sequel to arcanum. 19th century technology vs waning magic. not!British Empire has eradicated majority of magic and tightly controls acces to technology. People try to bring it back and main character is operative sent to prevent it.

>new mistborn trilogy
because this thread is getting slow. There are not enough weird west stories and this is a fine action series.
>>
Lies of Locke Lamora
Name of the Wind (assuming you get the concept of unreliable narrator which most of /tg doesn't)
Robert E. Howard
Michael Moorecock
>>
>>44362307

>https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1232/1232-h/1232-h.htm
>>
>>44363991
allready read both his books.
bretty gud
>>
>>44364464
>>44363991
I'm soliciting opinions: was he being satirical or not?
>>
>>44364840
not
>>
>>44364840

Prince is more of a job application than anything else. I'm under the impression The Prince and The Discourses were intended to be one book, but he chopped it up and modified it to sell to a prince in similar circumstances as all his examples. He got the job, but turns out he sucked at it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.