[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bloodbourne: Dusk before Night(mare)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
Hey /tg/ I would like to do a campaign set in the Gothic metropolis of Yarnham before societies collapse under the red moon and the nightmare ritual of Micolash. Maybe even before the scouring of Old Yarnham

What this means is I need a system that can handle basic Victorian era firearms, high lethality, and using exp directly to spend on feats/stats/advancement or whatever. I'd also like to talk about various bits of setting info, like Yarnhams Xenophobia or the fact blood was used as a recreational drink and narcotic there

Or we could just talk about lore if that's ok
>>
File: AR-150409621.jpg (132 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
AR-150409621.jpg
132 KB, 1200x675
>>
File: bloodborne-ps4_v1hhp.T640.jpg (60 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne-ps4_v1hhp.T640.jpg
60 KB, 640x360
>>44338248
>>
File: bb_1.jpg (368 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bb_1.jpg
368 KB, 1920x1080
>>44338281
>>
>>44338306
>>
>>44338155
There's a game called Ripper that's a lot like Bloodborne. High lethality conbat, unusual weapons, abilities taken from kills, that sort of thing.
>>
>>44338155
Not sure if anyone ever pointed that out, but I think even the Waking World is not the actual real life yharnam, but different stages of nightmare versions that were all trapped together in one dream

Would explain the (at times) nonesensical architecture, main roads leading to dead ends and only being connected to small side paths.

also the population, and hunters.
next is castle cainhurst, it's said to be in a far away land, not in viewing distance of yharnam, the weather doesn't add up either, my guess is either Logarius or the Queen pulled Cainhurst into the Dream, and it appeared on the Lake.

but what tipped me off were the Chalice Dungeons, I believe those dungeons are the only time we actually visit the real world outside the dream. Their entrance is said to be under Byrgenworth, but the one we saw didn't give us an entrance, so it could be the one in the dream has no Dungeons underneath at all.

this may all be due to gameplay reasons, but it could also be used to justify these gameplay reasons from a lore standpoint
>>
>>44338409
Isn't that a Savage Worlds setting/splat? Incidentally, Savage Worlds would be perfect for this shit. Nab a few mechanics from some other games (I'd grab team challenge from Strike! at least for navigating the and areas) to taste.
>>
>>44338495
I agree, the team that msde Bloodborne also made Dark Souls 1, and that game was hailed for actually having geometry that made sense. Bloodborne and its levels remind me of DS2 and its lava castles atop decrepit windmills.
>>
>>44338495
You are in real Yharnam, but parts of Yharnam aren't always entirely real.
That's mostly because the School of Mensis has been trying to drag Yharnam into the realm of dreams, and was originally planning to do it bit by bit.

That was until after you killed Rom, who was acting as a massive buffer between the waking world and the Eldritch Truth. After he's dead, Mensis was able to switch thier plan to full blast, use thier umbilical cord piece and cage hats to contact old ones and attempt to rebirth Mergo as the One Reborn in our world so as to shatter the barrier between the Waking World and the dream world, just like what happened in Lorahn, but with Micolash and the Mensis Crew as the ones pulling the strings to it all.

That's why the Bloodmoon happened and when enemies wouldn't stay dead, because since the world was getting pulled into a nightmare they just filtered right back in.

Then you killed the Wet Nurse, gave Mergo and Yharnum some peace, and shattered both the shaper/host and the power source for the dream, so when the dawn came and everyone "woke up" the nightmare just faded away like any other nightmare

As for Cainhurst? The reason it was considered a far away land was due to the bullcrap dream illusion magic the queen was pulling. No one could be sure how to get to there because the illusions would mess with the distance perception and placement. Hence why you could only get in with an invite, since the invite seemed to allow you to parse through the illusion.

As for Byrgenwerth, well lets consider something. We attend a university at the nexus to dream worlds, such as when we went to the nightmare frontier, one in which we found byrgenwerth clothes and Patches who seemed quite knowledgeable about byrgenwerth. I think that, after Lawrence left the university, something happened there that caused people to gain a whole mess of insight and drag a large portion of the campus into a dream.
>>
File: Town_square1.jpg (729 KB, 3456x1944) Image search: [Google]
Town_square1.jpg
729 KB, 3456x1944
>>44338349
>>44338691
I can't remember, was Micolash with the Church or the Institute? Either way, the church was up to shady and horrific shit. But at the same time, were curing disease, and their gods were real and not necessarily malevolent
>>
>>44338691
>so when the dawn came and everyone "woke up" the nightmare just faded away like any other nightmare

That still leaves the issue of the moon presence, what is suspected to be the true menace behind it all and the embodiment of the beast curse, who possibly wanted you to eliminate Micolash, Mergo, and his wetnurse because they were in its way
>>
>>44338843
The Mensis nightmare dissipates even if you fight the Nightmare Presence.

As for his schtick, remember that Old Ones are sympathetic in nature. When the beast plague went crazy and the church closed down the workshop, Gherman didn't want his Hunters to die pointless deaths and fade away into obscurity. He wanted them to keep fighting, until every last beast was dead.

So, he made contact with an old one who would listen, and that old one used his dream and memories of his old workshop to make the Hunter's dream.

The problem is the Moon Presence was going to fulfill its end of the bargain in whatever way it wanted, irregardless of any plans Gherman may have had.

Gherman was the source of the dream, so he in essence became a prisoner to that sad isle, stuck to forever face the emblems of his own failure and loss.

The Moon Presence, meanwhile, would keep using the messengers to draw more and more hunters into the dream, so they could hunt and kill more and more, into the sad eternity Gherman and unknowingly wished for. The Hunters Dream would become perpetual and would always be there whenever a blood plague happened.

Gherman soon realized he could not let other people suffer the same fate as him, trapped forever to a cursed nightmare. So, he would give people reprieve from his terrible dream, a mercy killing to sever thier minds from the dream.

After you killed the Wet Nurse, Gherman realized that you would probably keep fighting forever, and soon be stuck and cursed like him, hence why he burns the mansion and has you meet him, so there could be no turning back for you.

You fought and fought. The healing church was destroyed by thier own hubris and your blade, and Yharnam was at least somewhat safe from the Nightmare Mergo, at least for a time. With no church, and most of Byrgenwerth gone, blood ministration would soon stop, all knowledge of the forbidden stuff would fade away, and eventually the beast plague would consume itself and die out. Cont.
>>
>>44339162
>cont
However, Gherman would not have rest. His deal with the Old One held him here forever, locked into an eternal dream of suffering and despair. And after all your hard work, after you succeeded where all other hunters fail. But your not the type to give up easily, so he burned your shit so you couldn't retreat, and then treated you to accept his mercy. That way, you could be spared from being locked away and forever bound to his horrible undying dream.

By killing him, you kill the host of the nightmare, the one whose dreams and memories shaped it. This causes the Moon Presence to be curious, wonder what's going on. When it sees you, having slain Gherman, it figure "what the hey" and decides to pass Gherman's contract on to you, and make you the new host of the dream. Hence why in the wheelchair ending the workshop is fixed and moonlit, because the Moon Presence fixed it using your memories of the dream and the hunt. However, he could only do such a thing to another frail human, not too someone who has evolved into something else.

An umbilical cord, as we all know, connects a fetus to a placenta, and allows the mother to pass on both nutrients and enzymatic genetic information in to her offspring. You consume all three thirds of such a cord, and in essence you take its essence and all that was in them into you. You are no longer quite a human anymore. No.

You have become an infant Great One, and have injected your deifically fetal form into Oedon as a surrogate child.

When the Moon Presence fails to suck you out and about you from the human world, he realizes what you could potentially become. You are now the very creature whom he had made his contract to help destroy, even if you have not been fully birthed yet. Worse still, you wish to usurp his domain, and make his contract null and void. Now, he can't forcibly eject you, since he can only eject humans from dreams, but he can give you the old coat-hanger treatment.
>>
>>44339162
>>44339305
Granted I ha e not yet played the Old Hunters DLC, so I'm not sure if any of this is retconned or not.
>>
>>44339432

Eh, the Old Hunters doesn't conflict much with the base story, its focus is mostly on the sins of Gherman and his fellow old hunters
>>
>>44339637
So you could say it's about the sins of the fathers ?

Tell me, do these sins never die ?

I know I've heard the narration for when you enter the DLC via the amygdala, and whoever was narrating sounds like she has such a lust for revenge. If so, would you mind telling me whoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! she is?

>tfw I don't actually own a ps4 so I'll never get the chance to go nuclear in Bloodborne
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.