[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need GMing advice, /tg/. A new player interested in my game is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: cyber_arm_by_willdial.jpg (122 KB, 1024x1017) Image search: [Google]
cyber_arm_by_willdial.jpg
122 KB, 1024x1017
Need GMing advice, /tg/. A new player interested in my game is asking me if his character can have all these advantages and disadvantages not explicitly covered in the rules. While I understand my job as GM is to interpret the rules and render decisions based on those interpretations, this guy is going for a level of granularity not supported by the system I'm using (Savage Worlds if it matters). I honestly want to just tell him "Look, just stick to what's written" instead of having to write up some new rules to cover exactly what he wants on the spot (he wants a single cyberarm with certain advantages and disadvantages).

What should I do?
>>
Let him, just let him know you'll take it away/tone it down if it causes a problem.
>>
As a GM I'm inclined to try to avoid catering to specific player demands in situations like this.

Does it fit with the themes and setting?
>>
>>44333568
"I'm not comfortable with all these modifications you're making. If there's one or two major character traits you want reflected mechanically that's fine and I'll work with you to make it work, but I'm just sure I can balance all these changes and ensure everyone has a fun game. Go over your character and decide what you can just fluff out, what's just unnecessary and what you really want to be influenced by mechanically. Then come back and we'll go over it again."
>>
>>44333568
Evaluate them. Consider them. If you think they'll be a problem, speak to the player about them and bring up your concerns. If you think they're fine, they should be fine- but if they end up too powerful then speak to the player out-of-game and resolve the issue.

Or you can flip the table and panic-scratch his eyes until he runs away to avoid the issue.
>>
>>44333705
Yes, it's a cyberpunk game. The thing is that the cyberware rules I'm using (out of the official Science Fiction Companion) is only interested in the results (+2 to this or that) instead of what exactly is getting installed (a cyberarm) to determine how the rules go and the cost to the player.
>>
>>44333838
Check out Interface Zero. I've never looked through it, but it might have some more cybernetic rules since it is for cyberpunk specifically not just sci-fi.

How is the sci-fi compendium anyway? What kind of stuff does it add? I think I might own a copy somewhere, just haven't read it.
>>
> playing Savage Worlds

Well, there's your first problem.

Next, play a system actually geared toward Cyberpunk, one with rules for the kind of weird cyborg shit he wants. Assuming it's balanced, things should work themselves out.

So there you go. Switch systems, problem solved!
>>
>>44333905
I love it. It covers everything from near-future to far-future - just add or cut the stuff you want in your campaign (cyberware, starships, lasers, light sabers, chainswords). Since it covers a lot of ground in such a small volume, the rules are pretty simple and cover a lot of ground. But then, that's the appeal of Savage Worlds in the first place (Fast! Fun! Furious!)
>>
OP while normally I would say "let him", it is clear that you are not comfortable with it, so do not do it. Running a game is challenging, and if you aren't having fun you will soon burn yourself out. Don't like a player's proposed mechanics? Say no.
>>
>>44333838
Can you just rejigger the fluff for the mechanic or would it be a little out off seeming?
>>
>>44334045
That's the thing: The rules I'm using are only concerned with the end result (+2 to this or that) rather than what is explicitly installed (a cyberarm).

But this dude wants a single cyberarm installed - not a pair. The rules have stuff like +1 die step to Strength and stuff like that, but it doesn't cover only having one arm installed and the disadvantages of thus.
>>
>>44334164
Give him the bonus to strength but it is tied to the one-arm disability.
>>
>>44334164
A cyberarm will have the disadvantage of not having an auto-repair function the way an organic arm does. It will need upkeep in other words. It probably can't handle temperature extremes as well. Basically the thing will malfunction a whole hell of a lot more than a normal arm would.

It world, of course give a bonus to arm str stuff, which would include things that involve gripping/holding on. How much it affects day to day actions really depends on how much muscle it's replacing. If it's replacing the shoulder as well as arm you're going to get a full boost to strength on that side. If not, you mostly just get a healthy boost to your grip.

Anybody else getting three fold CAPTCHA tonight?
>>
>>44333957
>playing savage worlds
>a problem
Pick one you nigger.
>>
>>44334164
Be more specific.
Tell us exactly what the player wants. What mechanics he's suggesting and how things would usually work
>>
>>44333568

I'd check out the Deadlands Reloaded book "Smith and Robards Catalog 1880" - it's already written for Savage Worlds, and the back section on "Scrappers" is a comprehensive guide to artificial limbs etc.
>>
>>44333568
Give him the cyber arm but simplify it mechanically.
>>
>>44340516

I pick both.

>No real character customization, there's basically only 6~ character archetypes to play and they have no meaningful variations
>Uses a grid for combat but has no depth to it
>Probably more shit I don't care enough to remember because I dropped that system like a hot potato
>>
>>44340608
>If it doesn't have 1000 options most of which are shit like 3.pf a game is bad
>rulebook clearly says you don't need to use a grid, and it has more martial depth than d&d
>>
>>44340547
I can't be more specific than that. He wants a super-arm at the "trade-off" of his other arm being almost useless.

How things usually work is maybe a player would take the "one armed" Hindrance but this guy still wants two arms.
>>
>>44334164
>single cyberarm installed - not a pair. The rules have stuff like +1 die step to Strength and stuff like that
Shadowrun handles this by only applying the arm's stats to actions which primarily use the arm (such as leading an attack with the arm or using a pistol with it). For actions involving multiple limbs (such as lifting, acrobatics, or using a two-handed weapon), it applies the average of all involved limbs. Torsos are counted as limbs for that purpose.

>player asking me to write rules that I don't want to write
I think you should either say "No, I would rather not do that", or get him to write a rules draft that you can shoot down or modify.
>>
>>44340635

>and it has more martial depth than d&d
>Shit is more solid than diarrhea so it's not as bad to have on your table
-You
>>
>>44340654

I've got both the Sci-fi companion and Interface Zero. Trust me, IZ 2.0 has all the stuff you need.

That said, even IZ's modular limbs don't have individual strength buffs. The closest it has is a 'wall breaching system' that applies +2 damage for melee attacks for 1 strain.

What it does have is a whole-body muscular augment that's 2 strain for 1 dice type, and 3 strain for 2 dice types.

Going off that, I think it'd be okay for him to purchase a 1 strain cyberware that increases his strength by 1 dice type per purchase (and 2 for 2), but make it ONLY for that limb. If he doesn't like the strain use for a per-limb purchase, then tell him he ought to get a normal muscle implant like everyone else.
>>
Why does it grant extra dice to strength, anyway? Not really ever had an opportunity to see the rules, but at the same time, it is still reliant on the flesh as a support structure, meaning if you don't get reinforcement there, you will still have issues trying to be more than a normal arm, no? Although getting a shotgun or something in there might be rather nice.
>>
>>44333568

Just tell him to stick to what's written.

I usually allow this kind of thing, but I'm also using GURPS so cooking up rules for new cyberware takes about 5 min and you end up with something well-designed and points balanced.

But it sounds like your setting/system doesn't support that. In that case, I'd simply forbid it and say that such a device is not available on the market.

Don't hem and haw too much before making your ruling or he'll get married to his idea and the butthurt will increase.

Finally, if you do allow such a thing, always write up the mechanics yourself. Never accept a player's version because in my experience they push the envelope and it turns into an ego contest. It usualy won't break the game but it will upset the balance between players.
>>
>>44340698
I like your style, you toxic faggot.
>>
>>44340635
>muh most options from 3.pf are shit
I'm not convinced people really understand the point of having these options. Most of them are suited for very specific campaigns with themes. Whenever someone brings up this 'argument' about 3.pf, or any game really with lots of options their opinion is automatically discarded. Please, grow up and learn how to properly play an RPG. You're ruining it for the rest of us.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.