[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General /exg/ Location location location! Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: fantasy-landscape-frrkkt37.jpg (433 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fantasy-landscape-frrkkt37.jpg
433 KB, 1920x1080
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Location location location! edition: Where do you want to go adventuring in Creation?
>>
>>44318905
Palanquin. Gonna get down / in Butt Town!
>>
Can Double from Skullgirls be an example of a Lunar Chimera?
>>
What can you roll for intimidate? I'm thinking of a hideous character with 5 appearance and some presence charms.
>>
>>44319492
Cha+Pres if your threat is real

Man+Pres if you're deceiving them

App+Pres if you just run up to them and shout BOO!!
>>
>>44319509
Cool, what fear effects and actual uses can I get out of being a scary-looking guy?
>>
Flat XP House Rules: (new and improved!)
Character creation follows all the normal rules, excepting the BP stage and rules. Instead of starting with BP, players start with a pool of 60 Solar Experience, which works as defined in the book. Experience is gained over play at the normal rate, in both XP and Solar XP, and Essence thresholds, etc, act as normal.

The following are the new, flattened, XP costs. They are used both for character creation and advancement:
Attribute: 10 XP per dot
Ability: 5 XP per dot (4 XP if ability is Caste/Favored, and/or the dot purchased is 1-3)
Specialty: 3 XP
Merit: 3 XP per dot [see note]
Willpower: 8 XP
Solar Charm: 10 XP (8 XP if Caste/Favored, and/or the Charm is Essence 1)
Martial Arts Charm: 10 XP (8 XP if Brawl is Caste/Favored, and/or the Charm is Essence 1)
Spell: 10 XP (8 XP if Occult is Caste/Favored, and/or the spell is Terrestrial Circle)
New Evocation: 8 XP

Any XP not spent at the end of this phase (e.g. because there's an extra point or two you *can't* spend) is kept to be spent later.

Note: Merits are a bit squiggly because of their design. I would personally recommend doing away with Purchased Merits altogether, as most of them are trash (like Ambidextrous) or point taxes (like Martial Arts), and simply giving characters 10 merit points to spread around for Story/Innate merits at character creation, with extras kept in reserve if you come up with anything interesting or appropriate later on.

However, if you're not interested in doing this (understandable; it's a larger leap in houserules), then use the following rules: a) story merits can only be bought with XP at character creation, and b) merits cost 3 XP per dot, so going from 3->4 costs 3 XP, and buying a 4 dot merit costs 12 XP regardless of whether you can also buy it at 3 dots or not.
>>
>>44318964
We don't know until Lunars book is out. Before then yours opinion is as good as anybody esles.
>>
If you get to Long Range of all opponents and the use a Withdraw action, you are guaranteed to escape.

They can only move back into Medium, and can't take double movement actions (you can only Rush at Short range), so you move back to Long and continue to Withdraw until you get the sux you need. As long as you keep hopping back every turn nobody will ever catch you because Withdraw isn't a contested action.

Is that intentional?
>>
>>44320628
I should hope so. That's the keystone of what makes archers so dangerous. It is also a keystone of what makes it even possible to escape a fight that's lost and makes it a viable tactic to, you know, leg it. Previously there was this problem where everything would fight to the death, because escaping was simply not an option, you'd be outpaced and killed anyway. And even then there are ways to circumvent this, Athletics has charms that enhance movement and I thing Ascendant Battle Vissage allows you to rush at any distance because Goku.
>>
>>44320799
>Ascendant Battle Visage
In a long running game, and I'm genuinely thinking of making that the core of my next character. They're not even primarily a Brawler, but it works so well with everything.
My actual character is by far the toughest character in the game though, so I'm not going to be able to play anything else.
>>
>>44319535
You can skip the Intimacy system, *sort of.* The threaten action offers something people don't want to happen instead of something they do, and can leverage that fear into either persuasion or just creating appropriate Intimacies per instill. However, they have to be more afraid of you than of the consequences for giving in, which is a sort of upper limit to the threaten action - there's only so far you can go before you're back to playing the Intimacy game.

Dawn Caste Exalts can threaten zombies, automatons, and other mindless or fear-immune entities.
>>
>>44321003
It...works pretty terribly if you're not primarily a brawler. I don't know what you think you're getting out of that.

Just get Athletics Charms. Rush and cross range bands without a ton of Brawl prerequisites and without the 3a cost. Flaring totemic is bad news bears in a setting where the Celestial Exalts have been flattened closer together, even if the antagonists section is pretty anemic with just the QC rules.
>>
>>44321003
>Not a primarily Brawler
>Built around a Brawl 5, Ess 5 charm.

Son are you starting at Essence 5 or is your Supernal Brawl? Because I'm fairly sure that if your Supernal has next to nothing to do with your concept then your ST is legally allowed to slap you.
>>
>>44319684
>New Evocation: 8 XP
any reason you're making them 2 XP cheaper?
>>
File: 1450019899974.jpg (267 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450019899974.jpg
267 KB, 1280x720
>>44318905
>Where do you want to go adventuring in Creation?
The Dreaming Sea sounds cool. I'd also like and explore some Dragon King ruins.
>>
>>44318905
>Location location location! edition: Where do you want to go adventuring in Creation?

The Near North / North-East. Go full Viking
>>
>>44318905
>Location location location! edition: Where do you want to go adventuring in Creation?

Near-north. I'd go full Eastern European with it too. Many villages, thick forest, overcast skies, roaming and rampant undead and fey lurking in the woods beyond the sparse villages. I'd make ancestor worship and the worship of the Bishop of the Chalcedony Thurible under a different moniker very important, something missionaries of the Immaculate faith are trying to stamp out They're successful along the coast, especially around the Nail. The worship of a Deathlord as giving a release from this bleak and cold land speaks to the desperation of the people. They hold their faith and gods very close, closer than most of Creation.
>>
>>44321095
Essence 5 by the time my character dies, hopefully. We're Essence 3 now.
>>
>>44321328

I'm liking how Creation's got a bit more texture to it in 3E. I never read most of the Compass books but the core made the world seem like Simon's Quest:

>Go north
>It's all ice

>Go east
>It's all tropical jungle

>Go south
>SAAAAAAAAND
>>
>>44321131
You can buy Evocations out of your starting Charm pool, which means they're fungible with E1 charms and Terrestrial Circle spells.
>>
>>44321469
That's how the edges are, but most of that is also Bordermarsh. The Near Directions are basically earth, but in a circle arounds the isle. Near South is anything from the US south coast, to Greece and the Mediterranean, to North Africa and the Middle East.
>>
>>44322085
that's a really stupid reason, desu senpai
>>
>>44322117
No it isn't. The entire point of the XP costing is to make sure that no matter how you build your character, you have the exact same amount of XP total at the end of things. If Evocations still cost 10 XP, then you should buy every Evocation you can at character creation, since everything else you can buy out of your starting Charm pool is 8 XP.
>>
>>44322140
you can only get a single evocation at chargen in 90% of the cases, because you don't have the essence for them.

And evocations were changed from favoured to unfavoured charm costs specifically because they got a major power boost.
>>
>>44322140
I have bad news for you, anon. Some evocations you get for free, giving you *gasp* an 8 XP discrepancy.
>>
>>44322157
>you can only get a single evocation at chargen in 90% of the cases, because you don't have the essence for them.
Ah, fuck, I completely missed the Essence requirements somehow when I was reviewing Evocations (I've never made a character with an Evocation). Then 10 XP for non-E1 and 8 for E1.

>>44322163
Could you list the ways?
>>
>>44322250
>Could you list the ways?
attune the artifact, defeat an enemy that fears or is in awe of you, defeat a significant foe she has
maneuvered into unfavorable fighting conditions by deliberately exploiting Intimacies she uncovered with read intentions actions, stalk and slay a fearsome beast, defeat an opponent or BG that's a major or defining threat, investigate a murder and kill the killer, etc.
>>
>>44322318
Ugh. Shit you trade XP for during play also being obtainable via hitting some arbitrary conditions is fucking annoying. Well, whatever. It's a house rule to avoid you screwing yourself over, I can't fix stupid crap like that without ripping out a lot more of the system.

Don't buy Frozen Soul Resolve with your XP and instead just give a Minor Intimacy of Fear or Awe towards everyone you meet until you happen to cut one down, I guess.
>>
What would the Ambition of this working be? Pretty sure it is Solar but not sure which.

Lover's Entanglement

This working done between a Solar and her Lunar lover has made them all but invincible as long as their love is true. This working culminated at the wedding between the two while both had a defining tie of love for each other linking their fates for all time. Once either of the pair have their final Incapacitated health level filled with lethal damage the effected party vanishes from Creation and enters the world's essence flows leaving behind their empty clothes and panoply. They will reappear fully healed and naked next to their mate in bed when their mate next sleeps. This only occurs when nobody is looking. If the survivor is being watched this happens when the viewer blinks or looks away from a moment. Scrying and other forms of long distance surveillance suddenly stutters and the mate is already there when viewing is reestablished.

This can only be defeated in two ways. First if both the Solar and Lunar are killed before either sleeps they dissolve in the essence flows and enter lathe together and their Exaltations seek new hosts. Second if either party does not contain a tie of love of any intensity for each other this working is disabled. The working is not undone but rather is repressed. If the tie is reestablished before either dies the working reactivates. But if either dies while it is disabled the defeated of the two truly dies and the working is undone. The dead mate may become a ghost or go to lathe as usual. Although most likely the former as a vengeful ghost hunting their killer and their lover for betraying them.
>>
>>44322445

I'd say Ambition 2, Finesse 5.
>>
>>44322504
(Solar)
>>
My circle is going to be fighting this urban guerrilla war in the Lap. Are there any rules or tips for urban combat? 2e, because fuck you that's what we were playing when we started last year.
>>
>>44324721
>2e
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>44324735
Well, 2.5 strictly speaking.

I'm a crafter
>>
File: K.jpg (51 KB, 625x390) Image search: [Google]
K.jpg
51 KB, 625x390
>>44324721
>urban combat? 2e
>>
>>44324721

Does your ST have mass combat or reverse battle groups from 3e?

I did the latter, worked well
>>
What charms should I nab to be an insanely dangerous horse archer?
>>
>>44324882
Ride charms, also Archery charms.
>>
>>44321156
i'm currently running a game in the dreaming sea
>>
>>44321328
Ancestor ghosts have one of the very few all-encompassing buff charms for mortals of Exalted. I absolutely love ancestor ghosts for that reason: what better supernatural help than your great, great, great grandfather who want your family to succeed personally? Of course, things start to become interesting when you fall in love with this girl he really doesn't want you to.

In many cases, ancestor worship is the sane choice to make for any given community. The ancestors become more powerful, and thus, more able to protect the community against supernatural harm (to an extent). The mortals gain potent blessings and curses. As long as the relationship is healthy, both become greater.
>>
>>44324882
Survival might have charms for targeting specific animal types.
>>
>>44324882
If you want to be a horse archer you will probably need to wait for the gamebook for Lunars.
>>
What do we know about Wu Jian? What could a game there focus on/encompass?
>>
>>44325126
It's also an aberration, perversion of the natural cycle of life. And not every Ghost is beneficial for his family, some focus more on the Underworld politics and power plays.

>>44325401
Regular Realm-fighting but also gang wars mixed with kung fu battles. Urban adventures in damp slums. Uncovering ancient history of the islands it's situated on.
>>
>>44325574
>It's also an aberration, perversion of the natural cycle of life.
The lesson to be learned here is that what is natural and what is good and beneficial aren't always the same thing in the Creation.
>>
>>44325574
>Uncovering ancient history of the islands it's situated on.
what is up with the island? I haven't found anything special about it.
>>
>>44325768
Nothing, officially. Because there's little information on it, anyways.

Hence why that space is open for the ST to come up with something interesting, like an ancient cult that meets beneath the island to perform sacrifices to a god of disorder, or something.
>>
>>44325883
I'm more intrigued by the mention of spies from the undersea. Maybe they have a plan to sink the island or something?
>>
>>44325768
Read the intro fiction. Islands Wu Jian is build upon were originally roaming the seas freely. Solars confronted them, flipped over and pinned down to the seabed with great nails and chains of orichalcum and jade. At least that's what some people say.
>>
>>44326279
I took that more as random creation myths that something that actually happened
>>
>>44326363
And I think that's a great example of things that Solars did at the start of First Age, when they were still taming Creation and building their wonders instead of snorting celestial cocaine from Neomah's tits and bullying their lessers (which means everyone).
>>
>>44326363

That's the thing about Creation; the line between myth and reality gets reaaaally blurry.
>>
What the Christ does a Raiton look like?
>>
>>44326517
Big raven with a sharper beak
>>
>>44326517
>>44326534

There's some vulture and lizard in there, too.
>>
>>44326517
Black archeopteryx.
>>
File: 1449637845922.jpg (50 KB, 540x786) Image search: [Google]
1449637845922.jpg
50 KB, 540x786
I don't suppose anyone has worked up a more printer friendly version of the pdf?
>>
Does anyone have any 3e resources for google sheets?
>>
>>44326363
I took it as both.

It hasn't come up yet in my game, but if my players decide to investigate Wu Jian they'll find out that the story is based on real events, kinda.

It wasn't one Solar, it was his whole Circle

They weren't wandering island, but rampaging behemoths.

And the shaft of sunlight is real, if they choose to travel far, far below the city they'll find a huge fucking Orichalcum trident pinning the behemoths down with a Working
>>
>>44327548
>they'll find a huge fucking Orichalcum trident pinning the behemoths down with a Working
you know, that WOULD be cool, if there wasn't already a slain behemoth with a giant Orichalcum Spear through it and a city around it.
>>
>>44327597
What, there is? Where, what's it called?
>>
>>44327646
Lathe (though, on a second read-through, it seems like the Orichalcum spear piercing it was either removed after the leak or was something my ST made up and I internalised as canon)
>>
>>44327646
>>44327737

Not Lathe, Fajad. It's only in the leak, but it's pretty fucking cool, especially it was an otherwise mortal sorcerer.
>>
So I've heard tidbits about sorcerous workings to become immortal, along with that sidebar that mentions it in the book but there doesn't seem to be info on circle or ambition for that sort of thing.

If I want to be a standard lich and just tie my immortality to some object, what circle and ambition is that, should it be harder to make a spirit I made into a phylactery? How about making myself immortal as long as I'm within a certain distance of my manse?
>>
>>44328014
Immortality = Solar 3
>>
>>44328062
>Solar 3
What? Based on what?
>>
>>44328062

Eh somebody else says things like >>44322504 for >>44322445
>>
>>44328114
because not being able to be killed is really fucking powerful. Unless you just mean not ageing.
>>
>>44328134
All Solar workings are extremely powerful, you need more reasoning than that.
>>
>>44328156
Immortality takes away any sort of risk or consequence to your actions so if it must be allowed it must be at the highest possible level.

Also Terrestrials can't do Solar 3 Working, so it's the only way to stop the infinite undying Dragonbloods.
>>
>>44328185
>Immortality takes away any sort of risk or consequence to your actions
What? No it doesn't.
>>
>>44328196
>haha, your kingdom is in ruins and your armies decimated
"ok, I'll just wait for you to die and start again, enjoy your temporary victory while it lasts because I'm going to bind your ghost into a soulsteel buttplug for all eternity"
>>
>>44328222
>>44328185
What kind of fucking games do you even play that the only viable consequence is death?
>>
Immortality, Resurrection, or easy far-reaching Teleportation are explicitly the highest tier thing you can possibly do in exalted.
>>
>>44328248
If you can't die then you can just wait for your enemies to die. Immortals always win in the end.
>>
>>44328259
>Resurrection

No, that's one of the 3 *impossible* things. It cannot be done at all.
>>
>>44328260
>Immortals always win in the end.
Nothing ends, Adrian.
>>
>>44328260

But you can die. You can't do can't die immortality. You need a catch for it to work.

>Immortality Has A Catch: Sorcery can make a character immortal, but never in an unconditional, guaranteed fashion. There may be periodic rituals needed to renew a character’s immortality, certain conditions under which he can die, a regional restriction he cannot travel outside of without risking his immortality, or similar. This does not mean that immortality is a trap or a waste of effort— instead, the purpose of this is to preserve the relevance and power of death as a dramatic element within the game, even if the players do bestow immortality to all their friends, allies, and family.

This guy >>44328014 wants a phylactery. So to kill him all you need is to find the Phylactery and destroy it to kill him.

This >>44322445 requires you to either kill both the Solar and Lunar before either can sleep or wear one of them down into breaking an intimacy.

There are ways to kill immortals in Exalted.
>>
>>44328320
Solar 3 working on the phylactery that nobody can ever find it unless I want them to.

Sorted
>>
>>44328357
>Social monster makes you want to.
>>
>>44328357

Now your immortality no longer has a catch, and the working ceases to function.

Sorted.
>>
>>44328357

Social attacks exist you know. Enjoy your new best friend who you think should know where your phylactery is.
>>
>>44328388
Yes it does, my phylactery still exists.

>>44328373
>>44328389
"I don't remember, I guess someone magically erased the location from my memory"
>>
>>44328357
Nara-o knows where it is.
>>
>>44328420

So? He just needs to convince you to want you to let him find the Phylactery. He can do the actual scrying/searching
>>
>>44328420
>Yes it does, my phylactery still exists.

That's not the rule, though. The rule is that your immortality has a flaw. If it's ever guaranteed, which this one is, it has no flaw, and the working ceases to function.

So your choice:
Either the working ceases to function, or it's NOT guaranteed, in a way that you aren't privy to.
>>
>>44328438
I don't know where it is, how can he?

>>44328459
Solar 3 working on phylactery, can't be found by magic.

>>44328481
It has a flaw, one I went out of my way to minimise, but it still exists.
>>
Why is anyone arguing with this guy? It's not like he has a group.
>>
>>44328588
>Solar 3 working on phylactery, can't be found by magic.
Good thing Charms aren't in-universe magic. :^)

>It has a flaw, one I went out of my way to minimise, but it still exists.
Again, no. It doesn't matter if the flaw "exists," what matters is, quote, whether or not the immortality is "guaranteed." And in this case, it is.

A company can guarantee a refund; that the company mighty hypothetically go out of business before it can refund me doesn't make the refund unguaranteed.
>>
>>44328588

Solar 3 working on your working. It can be found by those who really want to find it and that you want to find it.
>>
>>44328659
That's true. Also originally I thought "I don't die" was forbidden and immortality meant I don't age to death. This thread was the first time I considered this.
>>
>>44328685
But Exaltation already means, for practical purposes, that you don't age to death. Unless you're pushing 5000, but who survives that long in the Age of Sorrows?
>>
>>44328840
That's a different conversation
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oIX2HMqd_U
This makes me a happy man. Crazy Diamond could be crowbarred into the opening charm of a Siddie Charm Tree.
>>
A good example of an immortality working is the Slavic legend of Koschei the Deathless:

"Koschei maintained his life and immortality through the removal of his soul. Taking it from his body, it was said he hid it in a needle, inside an egg, in a duck, in a rabbit, then locked it in an iron or crystal chest, and buried it under a green oak on an island. "

The legend obviously goes on to show how Prince Ivan defeats Koschei, but Koschei makes excellent inspiration for an old, powerful and once-mortal sorcerer.

While "pure" immortality, or immortality with very few drawbacks, would probably be Solar Circle, having a type of immortality that is easily defeated or requires intense maintenance would probably be a lot lower in Circle or Ambition. Think of Countess Bathory bathing in the blood of virgins to maintain her youth - sure, she's immortal, but if she loses power and has to hunt victims by herself in secret she's screwed; the immortality is only effective as long as she's the unquestionable dictatorial ruler of some backwater, and the sheer horror of what she does to stay alive will compel heroes of all types to rise up against her.

If I had to introduce vampires to Exalted, it'd be as an order of sorcerers who made creepy bargains with a powerful demons.
>>
>>44328875
I wish I could say that didn't happen to me constantly.
>>
>>44328931
There's Evidence-Restoring Prana in Investigation, but that's just for evidence.
>>
What're the most valuable resistance charms?
>>
>>44329709
The E5 ones
>>
>>44329733
That's only one, the broken Aegis of Invincible Might.
>>
>>44328357
I don't think you understand the point of immortality. You're trying to "win" the game instead of trying to craft a compelling narrative with the tool that is sorcerous working. You shouldn't be just slapped in the face, you should be banned from playing by anybody who actually wants to have fun at their table.
>>
>>44329902
>changed my name to Funless McTwatsack last May

am i being fdoxxed
>>
>>44329733
It's actually Essence 4 you want, for Iron Kettle Body. Adamant Skin Technique is only Essence 3.
>>
>>44329978
The essence 4 upgrade to Iron Kettle Body is good, but it is purchasable at 4E, also Adamant Skin Technique is 2E, with no upgrades.
>>
Which charms are good for avoiding death in an emergency, like post-damage roll panic buttons?
There's uncanny shroud defense, any others?
>>
>>44330136
Why would you need others?

7SE is still a perfect defence
>>
>>44330136

Flashing Edge of Dawn, Heavenly Guardian Defence, Seven Shadow Evasion.
>>
>>44318905
what cost should I put on an Essence 2 evocation allowing the weapon (a sling of distant surprise, 4 dots) to ignore armour for one attack? The sling already ignores an undetermined amount (thinking 3 points) of soak.
>>
Is belt of shadow walking worth 3dots and 5m to attune?
You're getting a constant +3dice to stealth, which would cost you 3m, and you have to pay 10m for the cool immaterial effect.
>>
>>44331632

Yes.

The +3 dice isn't supposed to be worth the 5m to attune on its own; the 5m is also paying for the value to spend 10m to turn immaterial which is a massive bargain. The +3 dice are just extra benefit on top.
>>
how would i use stealth or ebon shadow style to ensure i get the ambush bonus mid-fight, not just the -2 from a surprise attack?
>>
>>44331949
Okay, I can see that being worth it then.
Does immaterial also count as invisible in exalted?
I know some systems work like that.
>>
>>44332160
You don't. Ambush is "I don't know anyone is threatening me" and surprise is "I know someone is threatening me, but I don't know where they are." You can't get back to ambush once combat starts.
>>
>>44332160

Mind Shroud Meditation is the only thing that let's you make a second ambush in combat, which is reasonable considering that reducing your opponents defence to 0 is a really big deal.
>>
>>44332271
Damn, is there any way to boost the surprise attack bonus then?
>>44332285
That would only work for solo fights, right?
>>
>>44332203

Not in the case of the belt, since you're explicitly a living shadow rather than "truly" dematerialized like a spirit does. Spirits are usually totally invisible when immaterial, which is why the Blood Apes are an exception.
>>
>>44332306

Explicitly affects all opponents for (Essence) turns, but attacking one would alert the others.
>>
>>44332315
That seems much more fair, and reliant on their skill at stealth with those bonuses, thanks.
>>
>>44332342
Sweet, so I can keep up stealth attacks on enemies for my first hit each, that's pretty strong against medium targets.
Is that just for this charm, or are can you join a fight that's already start for an ambush bonus?

Also I think I'll be taking that belt too, it fits my character.
>>
>>44332449
>Is that just for this charm, or are can you join a fight that's already start for an ambush bonus?

Just the Charm.

Ambushes pretty much only work against someone with his dick in his hand and his pants around his ankles. Even if he doesn't know you, in particular, are there, if he's already fighting at the ready, it's a surprise attack.
>>
if i spend 5m at once, my anima glows, if i spend another 5m, or if the first expenditure was 10m, my anima burns, if i spend another 5m or the first was 15m, i go full bonfire/iconic.
what if i had spent 20m at dim or if i spend 5m while in bonfire?
do i just add +1a for each tier or does it cap at bonfire?
>>
>>44332857

Caps at bonfire. You can only have 4a worth of anima to spend at any one time.
>>
>>44332946

3a, Dim is the default zero state.
>>
>>44332315
>Blood Apes are an exception.

Thank god for that. Having one of those jump out of fucking nowhere to tear your face off would be awful.
>>
>>44333005

Wow, you're right, I didn't notice that. Weird/interesting.
>>
>>44332946
oh, you always have 1a at dim then?
>>44333005
oh, thank you
+1 for glowing, +1 for burning and +1 for iconic/bonfire, right?

if i use sun swallowing practice, do i pay 6m to hide glowing/burning/bonfire and do i have to pay more if i spend another 5m at once?
>>
>>44333042

>if i use sun swallowing practice, do i pay 6m to hide glowing/burning/bonfire and do i have to pay more if i spend another 5m at once?

You do, the charm even has an extra effect at Ess 5 for swallowing 4 or more levels.
>>
>>44333086
aw, i was looking for something that'd let me not worry about flaring too much, after paying for it
but 2m for each and every +5m i use is a bit too expensive for what i had in mind
>>
>>44333135

Well, spend less peripheral, then.
>>
>>44333153
i suppose i could spend 3 +5ms out of personal and only use peripheral for smaller costs or extra +5ms that i can pay to hide
thanks for the help anyway

also i guess those hidden animas would fade away at the regular rate, not allowing you to build them up over time unless you could regen more than 5m per hour
>>
>>44333238

The hidden animas don't fade. In fact, they come back once you drop the commitment. Also, if you're worried about flaring, Night Castes can spend 2m to treat all peripheral motes as personal motes for an instant.
>>
>>44333313
so you could build up as many 1as as you want for those charms that eat anima to do something?
>>
>>44333360

Technically, yes. But your committing 2m per 1a, so you need to be careful with how small your mote pool is going to be, and what charms with a #a anima cost have reset conditions.
>>
>>44333404
i'm not really bothered by those anima eating charms, just realised there's some potential there for others
>>
>>44331632
Its constant, the moment you make 2 separate stealth rolls you would have had to spend 6m in order to get the same affect with excellency
>>
>>44318905
As someone trying to sell exalted to their rpg group, is there something like the 2nd edition online tutorial but for 3rd edition?
>>
... does Soul Reprisal effectively dump you down to like half XP or am I missing something? What the fuck is this Charm?
>>
>>44334621
No, not yet. Though Mengtzu's put up a narrative tutorial you could look at: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301
>>
>>44334747

Look at it this way. You are not losing XP. Your next incarnation just gets a massive XP jump.
>>
>>44334831
There doesn't seem to be anything saying that? My new guy has half my XP because of how Heart-Eclipsing Shroud works, right?

Spending XP to use a Charm like this is fucking gay, yeah, but that's not what I was talking about. "Spend XP to not throw your character sheet away, kinda! Instead of just... making a new character at the equivalent amount of XP to the rest of the party." I like the Charm alright - a nice alternative to dying when things go south that pushes the story in an interesting direction - but the implementation is fucking retarded and leads to big chunky XP disparities.
>>
File: woochang-choi-03-redwomanknight2.jpg (226 KB, 1500x1646) Image search: [Google]
woochang-choi-03-redwomanknight2.jpg
226 KB, 1500x1646
>>44334747
"You died, but you get to keep playing the character."
>>
>>44334891
Err... two-thirds? Three quarters? With Draw The Curtain, but there doesn't seem to be anything that makes it 1:1.
>>
Does Falling Hammer Strike combo with Ox-Stunning Blow? The former states that it keeps onslaught from fading and the latter says that it causes a penalty until onslaught wears off.
>>
>>44334891

Then don't get the charm? You need to look at this from a character perspective. If you are killed would you rather it go to somebody unrelated? Or to somebody you personally made and may try and kill the motherfucker who killed you? If so them spend the 8/10 XP to buy the charm and if you don't then just leave it be.

As a player you don't even need to play that character anymore and can still reroll and just make it equal. And you are delusional if you think the devs give two shits about XP disparities.
>>
>>44335012

Yep.
>>
>>44328357

>No it's fine it totally has a flaw but I made it so it wouldn't ever be relevant.

This is when your character suddenly gets erased from fate and I kick you out of my group for trying to purposely break the game. All my players would have my back too. It's shit like this that causes people to be unable to allow things like this to exist and just to let people have fun.
>>
>>44335918

Point me to the rule which says he can't that isn't the rule 0 bullshit of Orichalcum rule.

Oh wait, you can't.
>>
>>44336231
They assume you're not going to be a fucking asshat and try to break the game. Anyone who is looking for fun and not to 'win the game' would tell you to get the fuck out.

Sorted.
>>
>>44336231
He's giving himself literal un-ending immortality with the only condition to end it being "I want it to end"

Any ST with a brain will disallow that on the grounds that it completely invalidates the 'catch' part of 'immortality with a catch'
>>
>>44336283

Then make him fall into suicidal despair, ruin his life into a hell that is worse than living on.

Saying "Fuck off, no" is a shit tier GM decision.
>>
>>44336389
If he's being this much of a shit, I as an ST just wouldn't deal with it. I'd ask him once to tone it down and consider that maybe that's not what the writers intended when they made 'immortality with a catch.' If he refused he will be told to leave. I don't deal with that stuff at my table, so I won't.
>>
>>44336452

Most do not. I had a player who was ruining everybody's experience including mine at the table. I had each other player come to me asking me to kick this guy out but I kept giving him chances to redeem himself. But each time he did more shit to make everyone want to kill him. And it all started with shit like "I want to be immortal with no drawbacks". Eventually we just changed session days and stopped talking to him saying we were busy. Eventually found a replacement but Jesus. Compared to my patience with that guy other STs and DMs would have axed the guy in a quarter of the time.
>>
>>44336529
You are a saint, Anon. I've had problems with players in the past, but they've usually calmed down or at least tried to fix their shit when multiple people in the group talked to them about it.
>>
File: 1446665553937.jpg (3 KB, 125x91) Image search: [Google]
1446665553937.jpg
3 KB, 125x91
>>44336231
>rule 0 bullshit
>>
>>44336452
Personally, I think you've got the right idea here. As the ST, you should still be having fun, and some asshole willfully and intentionally making your job harder isn't something you should have to deal with.

And personally, if I was gonna make a sorcerer with the goal of becoming immortal, out of character I'd want my plot thread to be about solving drawbacks with the understanding that some new drawback will always manifest in the process of sorting out the existing ones. In character, it would be frustrating and eventually maddening, but if we do it right as players and storytellers, I think it could be damn fun.
>>
>>44336551

I think the difference is that some players have really shitty lives and try to roleplay for simple escapist wish fulfillment rather then to just have fun. Of course its alright to do a little wish fulfilling while roleplaying but not to the point where it would cause you mental trauma if your character died. Maybe becoming a little sad but if they start breaking down at the table crying that a character died you have an issue. But if you have someone who realizes that his wish fulfillment is going a bit too and backs off a little when he sees its just a game they tend to get better.
>>
>>44336683
I see your point. Yeah, sometimes I also think some players seem to think that tabletop is a video game to be 'won' rather than a time to weave a story and have a lot of fun doing it. Seeing your character develop into someone different than who they were at the start, changing the world for the better (or worse).
>>
Which charm lets me rush or close the distance for an attack, while still stealthed?
>>
Does your weapon specialty apply to the attack rolls and damage rolls?
What about parry?
>>
>>44337914
Attack rolls. Damage rolls never get a boost from specialties, unless you're an attribute-based exalt or your damage is based on the ability.
If you have Melee(Swords), it applies to attack rolls and parry. Same goes for any other weapon. If you have Melee(Slashing), that would probably only apply to slashing sword attack rolls, because you aren't slashing anything when you parry.
>>
>>44337156
Pretty sure you can rush and move while stealthed, you just eat a penalty, so Charms to help deal with that?

>>44337914
Attack rolls yes, damage rolls no (Melee isn't a function of your damage), parry yes (increasing your effective Ability rating by 1, so it might or might not increase Defense).
>>
>>44337969
Core says you can't rush while stealthed. I was thinking a charm that allows rushes, or one of those leap toward enemy charms that let you rush.
>>
>>44335045
No, you shouldn't be looking at this from character pperspective. This is yet again a case of trying to think of the setting as an actual thing instead of realizing that it's fictional and whatever goes for players doesn't have to have ANY implications for the fictional universe.
>>
>>44336231
I am the GM. I say your ass is grass.

That's the rulling for you.
>>
>>44336389
Yeah I have to agree. "Only if I want to" is a fine catch for immortality, if maybe phrased slightly differently. What you do now is MAKE them want to die. And if they just flat out say no no matter what it's clear they aren't really intereted in roleplaying. Unless you know that already, in which case yeah, don't waste your time.
>>
what happens when you stealth in combat and some enemies can see you but some can't?
>>
>>44339423
The supernatural or extremely lucky/skilled mortal who spotted you goes "You can't hide from me, Anathema!" and presumably attacks you, letting his buddies make another roll to detect you next turn, if it's relevant to them. That's how I'd rule it, anyway.
>>
>>44334751
I think that narrative tutorial didn't was a bit off with explaining just how high the stat were for the two girls.
The sword wielding one was literally the the best non supernatural fighter in the world
>>
>>44339423
You get the bonus against the ones that failed, don't get it against those that succeed, probably.
>>
>>44339451
thanks for your suggestion
>>44340026
how would you deal with enemies alerting each other to your presence or specific location, words or attacks?
>>
>>44340079
>how would you deal with enemies alerting each other to your presence or specific location, words or attacks?

As an ST, what >>44339451 said, with the caveat that they can't do it until their turn. So if you act before them, they get to go 'Noooooooo!' as they watch you stab their commander in the eyeballs.
>>
>>44340115
lovely, thank you
>>
Is it possible to make a build where you can withstand environmental hazards and grapple someone into them?
>>
>>44340245
i'm no expert but i think it's easier to just punch them. All the strong enemies are pretty much immune to the most mundane hazards
>>
>>44340303
What about lava?
What if you found a way to make or transport lava?
>>
>>44340319
... What exactly are you planning here? Because I love it. Tell me more.
>>
TG I'm trying to create a Zenith character and I want to dabble in social stuff (not to go full on it, because my supernal is survival, but still). Do I absolutely need socialize? I have high integrity and wits so my resolve is pretty good, but I wanted to waive socialize becuase it doesn't really fit with the "noble savage" thing I have going on. I also have manipulation 2 because yeah. Do I need to rethink my life choices or is that fine?
>>
>>44340506
Element-Resisting Prana lowers the 6L damage per turn of lava to only 1L... but not for your enemy.
I'm not that familiar with the new edition, but I assume there's rules for dragging people while grappling them.
Not sure about the lava though, either get enemies to come to you, or find some way to make your own.
Maybe adjust the magma kraken spell for a pool of lava at least deep enough to drown someone.
I know there's ways to push people into a hazard, but grapple might be a way to keep them there.
And there's probably another way to mitigate the 1L/turn damage to yourself, even if we push for custom charm/item/invocation.
But still, that's 5L more for him than what you're getting, seems like it'd kill nearly anything that isn't a fire elemental.
>>
>>44340554
a lava elemental is mentioned in the book, could bind one of them for something like that.
>>
What tags would you use for a Jutte? (this assuming that there isnae one in the rulebook already.)
>>
>>44338075
Tiger Style has a Charm to let you rush in stealth.
>>
>>44340703
Yeah, I eventually found it, thanks though.
Stalking Cat Movement Meditation, but only after Tiger Mastery.
At which point you can also rush reflexively.
>>
>>44340664
Bashing, Melee or Martial arts, Disarming.
>>
>>44340714
Actually, what is the best way to be the fastest thing on X appendages (Charms and other stuff included)?
>>
>>44340724
Thanks. Also , I like how crossbows have the Thrown tag, for some reason this played out in my head.
>ST: Okay, you've run out of bolts for your crossbow, now what?
>P1: I throw my crossbow at him.
>>
>>44340733
while you're at it, how can we translate gotta go fast in-combat stuff to overland speed in miles per hour?
i'd like to know how fast we can go from a pole to the blessed isle.
>>
>>44340755
>crossbows have the Thrown tag
Not in the book I'm looking at. Where does it say that for you?
>>
>>44340777
Huh, it was mentioned a few threads ago, maybe I'm just remembering wrong.
>>
>>44340664
Bashing, Melee, Disarming. Honestly you should never need to ask a question like this, just slap some tags down, it barely matters and it's usually pretty obvious. Making new weapons is simple unless for some reason they need new tags, and usually the truth is that they don't need new tags and what you've done is tried to slip some Artifact attunement bonuses into your weapon's base stats like an asshole. You're not an asshole, though, you're just asking kind of a silly question. It's a baton that theoretically can disarm people.

>>44333042
>1a at dim

No, dim is 0. Glowing, Burning, and Bonfire/Iconic are 1, 2, and 3 respectively. There's no level beyond Bonfire/Iconic, so nothing can cost more than 3a.

Sun-Swallowing Practice's reference to 4+ levels of anima is because you can store many levels of anima by repeatedly swallowing and maintaining your commitment, like many girls your age.
>>
>>44340798
>Making new weapons is simple unless for some reason they need new tags, and usually the truth is that they don't need new tags
I actually really like the Tethered tag that someone made on the OP forums. Not being able to throw Ropedarts was weird.
>>
>>44340733
Living Wind Approach lets you be one success faster than your opponent in a test of speed, which is technically the right answer, since it will make you literally the fastest thing ever if you race the previously fastest thing ever.

More reasonably, Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique lets you move four range bands an action, which is the largest non-teleportation movement bonus in the game. As far as I can tell no "move more range bands" effects combine with each other and only sometimes combine effectively with rush-boosting charms.

Wind-Racing Essence Infusion makes your mount basically ten times as fast. I say 'basically' because all of these things are totally arbitrary in terms of actual numerical speed measurements. The game models dramatic speed, which is mostly comparative: how fast you are compared to something you're chasing or running from, rushes, disengages, range bands, et cetera, but says basically mum about anything that'll get you to MPH. You're as fast as the ST agrees you are.

For Wind-Racing Essence Infusion, you can travel about 300mph, because that's how fast horses go and horses are Speed +4 and nothing else is higher. With Supernal Lash Discipline you can kick that up to 600mph.

How fast can YOU go? Who the fuck knows. "Four times as fast as a fast Exalt." Fastest people are around 28MPH, let's say an Athletics 5 Exalt can do 40MPH, completely arbitrary, so maybe 160MPH while Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique is active.
>>
So. Ongoing Second Edition campaign.

We've just discovered Mount Eledath in our airship and woken some sleepers there. Now we have a volcano base, some kung fu dinosaurs who think we're the only hope for their race and an airship.

What would you do now, /exg/?

(I have my own ideas but I'm interested in what you lot would do with this setup.)
>>
>>44341011
Grapple people into the volcano.
>>
>>44341018
>Not grappling the volcano into people.
It's like you don't know the meaning of fun, that is, beating someone over the head with a mountain range until they stop moving.
>>
>>44341011

Fly around mopping up the sidequests and letting optional party members rot on the airship before going to the final dungeon.
>>
>>44340554
I mean... Iron-Skin Concentration adds a pool of HLs that can be used to soak up the lava... And Inujury-Forcing technique works through Grapple...
>>
>>44341011
It would take so much context for any answer to be useful that I'm not sure why you're asking. Solve whatever doom is most pressing while your twilight uses the volcano to turn gold into orichalcum and builds a factory-manse?
>>
>>44341130
Go on.
Everyone pitch in for this, it'll be fun.
>>
>>44335045
>You need to look at this from a character perspective.
If I'm supposed to look at it from an in character perspective, why am I suffering an enormous punishment in out of character resources (lose a quarter or more of my XP) for something (make a new character) that I can probably do out of character anyway?
>>
>>44340554
Feather Foot Style let's you run on lava, you could drop them in if it's deep and a few bands from the edge. But grappling might be the best way to keep them there still.
>>
>>44341140
Why did my brain immediately jump to Flying Factory Manse from there? It'd be quite easy, if you set up a permanent fixture point at the base of the volcano itself that funnels the lava to the storage tanks of the Manse by way of a working, then you could just fix engines to the volcano, sever its connection to the base, and fly the damn thing.
>>
>>44341140
>I'm not sure why you're asking

>>44341207
>Why did my brain immediately jump to Flying Factory Manse from there? It'd be quite easy, if you set up a permanent fixture point at the base of the volcano itself that funnels the lava to the storage tanks of the Manse by way of a working, then you could just fix engines to the volcano, sever its connection to the base, and fly the damn thing.

That's why - I'm not looking for help, I just want to see what crazy shit people come up with.
>>
>>44341207
Now as some point your gonna need means of defending this that isn't static. For that you will need Orichalcum, Blue Jade, Upscaled firewands and Moonsliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4

(Yes I'm going there.)
>>
>>44340538
It's going to make it harder to discover peoples intimacies, which is a reeeeal big thing about the social combat system. In the end, even if you have +10,000 dice to your persuade roll, if you can't root it in an intimacy you're kinda fucked. Without socialize, you rely on discovering intimacies without using read intentions and using the instill action like fucking crazy.

So, if you can find out about what someone cares about purely through RP, with just Presence or Performance you can get them to do a lot of things you want. But without Socialize, you can't just talk to someone for five minutes, discover everything they care about, and then convince them to do big shit immediately.

Without socialize, your social combat is gonna look a lot like

>Instill
>Instill
>Instill
>~~~PERSUADE~~~
>If failed, repeat

With socialize it's gonna look like

>Read intentions
>~~~PERSUADE~~~

Socialize is also a great social defense as its bonus to your guile helps stop people from discovering YOUR intimacies; and while integrity is nice for going yeah no to people, if they know every single one of your intimacies and is in a good position to use them to persuade you, even integrity will have a hard time keeping your character from getting persuaded.
>>
>>44340538
You don't need socialize, but it's useful. With no socialize and low manipulation, other characters will be able to easily read your intimacies. This might mean they can use them to manipulate your character, but if your Zenith has strong righteous intimacies they may not mind. Also, being unsubtle doesn't leave you unable to act.

Game of Thrones reference? Cersei and the High Sparrow.
>>
So what are Abyssals going to be like in 3e?
>>
>>44342103

It is a mystery.

I'm expecting "horseman of the apocalypse" to include a little more of the horseman angle and slightly less of the apocalypse angle; that the deathKNIGHT is in service to a flawed liege and he has to balance that against personal desires, rather than every Abyssal either being in lockstep loyalty to Oblivion the concept or in lockstep rebellion to Oblivion the concept.

Maybe also some more emphasis on how Deathlords are absolutely and explicitly training their own replacements, the echoes of an era long past now desperately trying to convince the greatest weapons ever forged that they should listen to them instead of... anyone else, at all, because if the Abyssal goes rogue, there's shit-all the DL can do about it after a point.
>>
>>44331119
bumpity bum-bump
>>
So is it just me, or does Orichalcum Fists of Battle work just fine with Melee attacks? It's a scene-long damage boost that never specifies 'brawl' or 'unarmed' anywhere.
>>
>>44342161
Isn't there a theory that Abyssal charms will be based on their Deathlords rather than on their abilities? I swear I read that somewhere, and people thought the "The Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears" rape-ghost charms were deeply magical realm.
>>
>>44342488
You may well be correct for the way that charm is written, but I think that probably wasn't intentional. Good on you if you can make an Essence 4 Brawl 5 charm with four Brawl pre-requisites work for your Melee, though.
>>
>>44342517
That would've been from the Abyssals preview, which--like all the previews--was basically made up of random ideas spitwadded at the wall, so.

Officially, OPP said they'd "look at" the wording of such Charms if/when they featured in Abyssals. Unofficially, the dev response was considerably weaker.
>>
>>44342561
I'm looking at making a high-xp character right now who uses multiple fighting styles. Brawl as base and if they have a weapon they use Melee or Thrown. Charms that supplement multiple styles are very useful to me.
>>
>>44342103
Less edgy and emo, funnier.

This is ok. It was difficult to balance edgy and emo with traditional Exalted thematics, while fun and emo or edgy can be awesome.

Deathkknights now have their own brand of honor, which is quite alien, but still give them a depth they didn't have previously. A deathknight can now help a solar circle and blame it on his alien sense of honor, or just because it was funny, when in 2e the only meaningful interaction between solars and abyssals was KILL MAIM BURN.

They seem to be milking several fun representations, such as the sympathetic, tall, dark and beautiful vampire count, or even Death of the endless. Point in case, now your deathknights still want to kill everything, but with style and panache.

I really like the few things I've read about the new representation, and I'm really seeing myself playing one abyssal in the future, when in 2e the simple thought of playing the emo killer machines was enough to make me puke.
>>
>>44342488
Adamantine Fists of Battle is explicitly bare-handed attacks, and OFoB opens up by saying 'while using the scene-long version of the prerequisite'.
So, if your sword is made of your bare hands, sure, you can use it with a sword.
>>
>>44342671
I'm planning to introduce the new, less emo Abyssals to my players next session, with Typhon.

It's going to involve a parade and ghosts.
>>
Is it just me or are no-Evocations Artifacts: a) painfully bland and b) a no-brainer background merit?
>>
>>44342711
That's an activation condition, and it goes away when you use Ascendant Battle Visage (which also doesn't specify require you to be using Brawl).
>>
>>44342711
Sorcerous Workings once again solve everything!
>>
>>44342733
Watashi from Jinrui would make an awesome deathknight, what with the blatant cynicism, dry, black humour, and simple acceptance of humanity's decline, in the cocoon of a cute, polite to a fault girl.

In fact, my first Abyssal will probably be heavily inspired by her.

That's what is cool with th new Abyssals. You know that Creation is doomed and the ultimate truth of the grave. You _don't_ need to be a dick about it. You can be energetic, polite, cute and helpful while still rating an eleven on the zero to ten scale for cynicism.
>>
>>44341187

Because normally your next incarnation would get 0% of your current experience and could be anybody. At least now your successor is of a personality and skills that you designed. Think of it like your child getting your Exaltation rather then a random stranger and they get a major powerup.

Out of character you might be able to get 100% if your storyteller is really nice and does not tax you for getting your ass killed. If you get your full experience cost back in all the charms you bought on your new unrelated character you should also get the XP back you spent on the charm activation and the charm itself.

For me the charm is a thematic choice. Perhaps you can houserule it so that you do not need to pay experience to buy it and just make it a natural upgrade to another persona charm. Then you don't need to worry about it and just activate it after you die and say that the new character is just a allied NPC who may help you avenge your former Exalt and then disappear doing its own thing while you bring your new Exalt from out of the blue and have them join the party.
>>
>>44342561
There is more synergy between Brawl and Melee than you might think- Lightning strikes Twice can let you execute a Melee attack after a Brawl attack that crashes an oponent and it's much easier to crash somebody with a light weapon given their accuracy bonus. A character who tranistions seemlessly between brawling kicks, clinches and sword swings is now totally viable and frankly qiute scary to behold.
>>
>>44342746

The Utility artifacts? I can see why they wouldn't have Evocations (there's only so many ways a Hearthstone Amulet can be a pseudo-character all to itself), but I sure wouldn't stop a player who wanted the Evocation version of a Belt of Shadows.
>>
>>44342872
>A character who tranistions seemlessly between brawling kicks, clinches and sword swings is now totally viable and frankly qiute scary to behold.
Any suggestions for charms?
>>
>>44342860
Paying experience for an ability that makes you resistant to dying is fine. That's what Ox-Body is, after all. Spending experience every time you use the ability, and permanently being crippled as well because your new shape had two thirds the XP of the old one? Not fine.

In fact, it's incredibly gay and stupid design that only exists because the design team does not know, understand, or care about the effect that XP disparity has on players. Thus shit like BP/XP.
>>
>>44343018
>gay
Haha, what? Do people still say that?
>>
>>44342881
Take Brawl Supernal, take the stuff up to Heaven Fury Smite. That's merely 6 charms giving you a whole lot of breathing room and a powerful array of flurry charms entirely on it's own. then take Excellent Strike and the defense chams from Melee, gun for the Flashing Edge of Dawn once you meet the prerqs. Take Summoning the Loyal Steel if you want to walk anywhere unarmed and summon your wepaon when you need it, I take a note of always taking that charm if I play a Melee character. And that's about it.
>>
>>44343031
Yes, for example, they say it about you constantly, you fag.
>>
>>44343018

I know. XP disparity can be pretty bad. Although I once had to take over a game for a ST who had their own DMPC and had nearly half again the XP of my character and I had two other players who died and had less experience then me due to a death tax. The most powerful and game breaking combatant was one of the ones with the least amount of XP while my character was the least powerful. So a lot of times XP disparity can be lessened based off of build. But then again this was 2e and the ability to break the game is easy as fuck.

Still you are right that losing out on that amount of XP if you are actually going to play the character sucks. Most death taxes are nowhere near that harsh. Most I have ever seen was 80% of your XP and that was for a player who did something really stupid and made no sense for the character and got themselves killed.
>>
>>44339212
Some would argue that 'only if I want to' isn't a catch. In my opinion that is perfect immortality.
>>
>>44343932
Depends on how you define it. If immortality is dependent on constant, unwavering will to live, if feeling even momentarily like dying might be okay or desirable is enough to cancel the immortality, it might just work. It would be better for an NPC than a player, though.
>>
>>44344012
If you phrase it like that, then I could see it I suppose. I hadn't considered that, you're right that is interesting.
>>
>>44344012
Hey, the more Jojo you can smuggle in the more I'm on-board and that is pretty much the definition of what keeps Dio alive.
>>
>>44344024
Yeah, having to drive your enemy into despair before you can kill him could be cool. As I said, I don't think it really works for a player that well, though. Despite the way intimacies work and despite the social system applying to PCs as well as NPCs, players still get to mostly decide what their characters think and feel, so a catch like that would probably end up meaning that the character can't die until the player wants it.
>>
>>44341036
The person or the mountains?
>>
>>44344404
The person.
>>
>>44344503
But the mountain is just as guilty. It knows what it did.
>>
What the fuck is up with the resource dots? Why is one dot 64 koku annual income, two dots 128 koku, and three dots 8000 koku? What the fuck??
>>
>>44344682
>Why is one dot 64 koku annual income, two dots 128 koku, and three dots 8000 koku? What the fuck??
because you want to represent both famously rich merchant-lords that can own entire fleets and the guy that can afford to eat meat once a week with just five different ratings , so any kind of linear scale is totally pointless.
>>
>>44344710
So have one dots be up to 128 koku and two dots be, I dunno, a thousand koku.
>>
>>44344725
what advantage would that have?
>>
>>44344739
Having something between "wealthy artisan" and "dynast."
>>
>>44343135
You also need to consider that Soul Reprisal is at the end of a tree that's like ten charms long, many of which are not broadly applicable even in most social scenes. So the XP investment is actually bigger than it looks.
>>
>>44344710
Six ratings, really. Resources 0 is a thing, and apparently the most common rating in 3E.
>>
>>44344773
>"wealthy artisan" and "dynast."
does the game really need that, though?
>>
>>44344785
What if my character concept is, I don't know, a noble in some Eastern kingdom, a barbarian warlord, or the favored wife of a king? Given the examples, Resources three seems like too much, while two seems like too little.
>>
>>44344817

So toss some Influence and such on there.

A barbarian warlord or a favored wife isn't commanding as much raw jade, and a lot more in personal favors and assets.
>>
>>44344817
2 dots is also mentioned as appropriate for a Realm patrician or a high-ranking local government official. The concepts you mention seem more or less comparable to such people.
>>
>>44344817
Three is fine for a noble or pampered royal. A barbarian warlord might not have only one dot or even zero, with his ability to get stuff dependent on direct gifts from his followers rather than official taxes or tributes.
>>
>>44328114
>>44328062
>>44328014
The example they give is that restoring someone to the prime of youth or swapping them into a new body is Solar 1. So you could just do that as frequently as you needed to. Presumably projects of higher ambition could lengthen the interval you could go without needing to restore someone's youth.
>>
>>44344776

This is assuming that you want and are using those charms already. If not why are you even bothering. If you wanted something easy and simple do sorcery and make yourself somewhat immortal. Or do Craft and Doombot that bitch.
>>
>>44344929
Doombot at least brings you back as yourself with no penalties, and it bypasses the issue that whatever killed you is probably still around and will double-kill you once it sees your unconcealable anima flare. But it too is at the end of a long tree and costs a bucketload of white XP that you'll probably not even get the chance to earn over the course of a campaign. Still, it's what I'd go with if I were really that scared of dying.
>>
>>44344977
Dual Magnus Prana is clearly a Sidereal charm that accidentally made its way into the core book for some reason and any reasonable GM would ban it outright.
>>
>>44345008

Why? Its fucking hilarious. Especially if the player did not tell the other players he had it and only I knew. Then he activated it when everybody thought he got splatted.
>>
>>44345031

The issue people have with it is that there isn't really a way to beat it.

Even if you've hit the guy with Eyes of the UCS, something that even shatters Lunar Shapeshifting and Sid Resplendent Destinies you are somehow unable to know that the person is using a doombot.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.