[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, just picked this game up. Anyone else play it and want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: swf02_main.png (130 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
swf02_main.png
130 KB, 300x300
Hey guys, just picked this game up. Anyone else play it and want to explain the dice system to me? The guide makes no sense. Also, reviews? I'd also like to hear about Age of Rebellion and Edge of the Galaxy (or whatever the outer rim one is called).
>>
File: symbols-and-dice.png (323 KB, 500x609) Image search: [Google]
symbols-and-dice.png
323 KB, 500x609
>>44294063
What don't you understand?
Whenever you make a check, you build a dice pool- you the player add good dice based on your character's abilities and skills, the GM adds bad dice based on how difficult the check is.

When you roll this dice pool, if there are more success symbols than failure symbols, the check succeeds. If there are more failures than successes, it fails.
Same logic for good/bad side effects, but they are counted separately. So its possible to succeed at a task and have bad side effects (you pick the lock, but set off an alarm!), or to fail and have good side effects (your blaster shot misses the storm trooper, but hits a power conduit, forcing him out of cover).

Its a very nice balance of narrative and crunch, I like it.
Edge off the empire is the outer rim one- honestly I prefer it to the others, has a "Firefly" feel to it.
>>
>>44295820
Basically this. I just wished they release a supplement for Age of Rebellion where you play as the empire with the same sort of resource allocation and mission setup.
>>
>>44295820
That's a cool looking system.
>>
>>44295841
Welcome to the world of FFG rpgs.

What you really want in a splat will never be given.

You will receive something that swung in the general direction of what you wanted, but it will be footnote on what the developers liked and not what the fans wanted. It happened for years with the 40k rpgs.

Dark Heresy 1e fans wanted stuff about investigation and being secretive, they got tech priest bloat.

Rogue Trader fans wanted expanded xenos and koronus expanse lore and they got religion and war books with xenos supplements shit out at last minute.

Only War fans wanted anything to do with their system, they got DH2 and EoTE instead.
>>
>>44295857

It doesn't just look cool, it plays well, too.
>>
>>44295931
It's no big loss; right now I just refluff AoR and it works more or less how I wanted. Would just be nice to have an actual sup. Different classes, abilities, etc. Make it really FEEL like the empire hunting down rebel scum.
>>
>>44296507
Im just a little salty because this happens with all their rpgs. They get you just enough stuff to start, promise stuff is coming down the pipe, then it is half assed because they moved on to the next project.
>>
>>44296532
Yea. That seems about right for FFG. it's a shame I'm addicted to their boardgames.
>>
>>44294063
The math kind of sucks, and the game has expectations in character creation it never states plainly. There are a lot on finicky rules that are strewn about the CRB, so reading the entire thing helps a lot.

Sink as much of your character creation XP as possible into characteristics and you will have a much better time. You are pretty much expected to roll three good dice against average difficulty checks.
>>
>>44294063
Check out the beginner box adventure, it goes step by step and illustrates how it works. I like it a lot.
>>
>>44296433
Until you have a space battle.
>>
>>44294063
Anon, did you read the book?

I'm all about helping when people don't get it, but did you read through the rules and what the book says?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.