[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: 1450480591757.png (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1450480591757.png
23 KB, 600x600
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

> QM question
What are you doing to help out new QMs?

> Player question
How often do you post in quests to do more than just vote?
>>
>>44285896
>QM
Not much, I offer advice sometimes I guess.

>Player
Rarely, I used to be really active but these days I mostly just lurk.
>>
File: 140565485114863.jpg (100 KB, 410x461) Image search: [Google]
140565485114863.jpg
100 KB, 410x461
>>44285896

>QM Question
Absolutely nothing. I don't believe in hand-holding, even to a minor extent.

>Player Question
I occasionally talk to other players and ask the QM the occasional question, so fairly often.
>>
>>44285896
> QM question
Not shitposting in their quests.
Maybe even checking them out to see if they are in line with my interests.

> Player question
When there's interesting plot discussion and planning going on.

Except in Aspiring Emperor Quest, that shit is inscrutable with all the initialisms and old references the long-time players make, even after going through the archive.
>>
I'll probably be running my first quest later tonight. Any advices?
>>
>>44286189
If you're going to be using a dice system work it out beforehand.
>>
>>44285896
I've been wondering for a while why QMs that take best of x don't roll to confirm crits. I mean sure it's a second set of rolls but it would make the roll DCs matter allowing bosses to not job completely.
>>
>>44286293
Possibly because rolling multiple sets of dice starts to get time consuming and post-count consuming.
>>
>>44286307
>>44286293
This and players fucking hate rolling.
>>
So I've been thinking of running a quest based on the Degenesis world. Would anyone be interested in playing in it?
>>
>>44285896
>Player
Depends on the quest. For some I barely say a word. For others I'm leading discussion and ask lots of questions to the QM.
>>
>>44285896
>What are you doing to help out new QMs?

Encouraging them to run, giving feedback (in a nice way), even encouraging them to suggest ideas for my quest

>How often do you post in quests to do more than just vote?

Regularly, but mostly joke stuff
>>
> QM question
I don't shitpost or start arguments in other people's threads, that's really the most help you can expect.
>>
>>44286333
wait we do?
>>
>>44286518
Any time I've seen someone utilizing rolls when it actually comes time to roll responses dramatically decrease.
>>
>>44286293
Using DCs for boss fights is stupid in the first place.
>>
>>44286394
>Requisite post about big black cocks

But seriously though, yeah, I'd give it a shot.
>>
>>44286394
Yes.
>>
>>44285994
R A N D
A
N
D
>>
How would you do social combat in a quest? I think that seen from the new Great Gatsby movie where Gatsby flips out in the hotel room is an example of what I'm talking about. Exchanging quips until one side loses their temper/concedes/otherwise embarrasses themself.
>>
I just wanted to say that you guys have the comfiest general thread.
>>
>>44285896

So does anyone know wtf happened to based Orc Quest drawQM? Did they die? Did I just miss the threads? Last time I checked we'd just de-activated a cursed record.
>>
>latest IBO episode spoilers

If this were a quest on /tg/ we'd have nonstop shitposters proclaiming a ded quest, railroading, etc.

What did /tg/ deserve to have a generation of millennials who only want fluffy comfy SOL quests with nothing bad happening ever, and can't handle a little drama?

It's not the end of the world, don't they know?

If they want comfy times, they should go back to their Neptunia games or something.
>>
>>44288138
What are you even talking about?
>>
>>44285896
>How often do you post in quests to do more than just vote?
Probably 3 out of 10 posts. It''s hard, because votes have momentum that discussion doesn't.
>>
>>44285896
>QM
I don't discuss other quests in any context. I take my name off when I'm not updating my own quest. I don't try to "coordinate" or offer advice/critique. No QM should expect more or accept less than that.
>Player
On occasion. It depends on the quest and what kind of discussion is going on.
>>
>>44287566
>Exchanging quips until one side loses their temper/concedes/otherwise embarrasses themself.
Slowly. Give them the chance to stalemate or gain time, and allow mood to change in believable ways.

You'll still get diplomancing.
>>
>>44285896
The Quest with the highest production values, but comfy speed is running. Go play Lego

>>44273242
>>
>What are you doing to help out new QMs?

I can't even help myself
>>
Sorry if this isn't quite the thread for this, but I couldn't think of one that would fit any better. See, I've had an idea for a while, and I finally got the high quality microphone and mixer to pull it off.

Long story short, who would be interested in audiobook versions of quests/storytimes that they enjoyed? Personally, I drive a LOT, since driving a rig is my job, and it got me thinking it could be a lot of fun to have an audiobook to listen to that was a quest I loved, like Lamia quest, PGQ, Rena Quest (though I wonder how well that would translate), what have you. Am I completely crazy, or would anyone else enjoy that?
>>
File: froggy man.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
froggy man.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
>>44288198
[spoilers]One of the characters discovers he has a brother enslaved by space pirates. He tries to rescue him but his brother is too far gone mentally. The brother is unable to handle his first ever decision in his life and chooses to die as a slave. So he throws himself at the other gundam's huge hammer and gets crunched into bloody paste.[/spoilers]
>>
>>44288972
Only if it involved a convincing imitation of Morgan Freeman.
>>
>>44288992
Test
>>
>>44289034
Actually, Morgan Freeman is one of the voices I can do fairly convincingly, but I wouldn't want to do it through EVERYTHING. I'd hate to risk a Morgoverdose.
>>
>>44288992
That's some nice edge
>>
>>44289121
Well they did try to rescue Masahiro, but it failed horribly and they got casualties while storming the pirate ship too.
>>
Am I the only one that feels like the problem is that quests can't find a happy medium anymore?

Everything is either needlessly cute and sugary with zero threat or 100% full-on edgecore. Anyone that tries to bring their quest into the middle spectrum gets pulled to one extreme or the other through players or through personal preference.

It's like it isn't possible anymore to create something that's happy, but has sad moments in it. Or serious, but has light and fun events that happen.

It's either pacifist or reaper-of-souls edgegod.

Anyone else feel that way?
>>
>>44289281
I can definitely see your point, but there are still exceptions, albeit not as many as there once were. For example, Dungeon Life Quest, Sith Apprentice Quest, and Banished Quest. I'm not saying any of those three are amazing, but they seem to do a good job of staying between "yay, nothing goes wrong" and "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN!"

...Orc Warlord Quest and the others by that QM get an honorable mention, as well.
>>
>>44289281
>Anyone else feel that way?
Nah.
>>
>>44289281
Yeah I see a bunch of chucklefucks in Merc and Schteel quests constantly trying to pester the QM one way or another.
>>
Anyone know how I can get added to the Quest Runner directory on Twitter?

Been trying to get the word out a little more, but I've been getting by with what I have right now.

> sorry if this makes me look like an ass
>>
>>44289281
Not really. 2 of my favorite Quests has that nice middle ground.
>>
>>44289530
Which quests?
>>
>>44289476
>This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

You read the OP
>>
>>44285896
>>44289476
@DonskoiDmitri

Hope this works
>>
>>44289552
Holy Sword and Homeless Mutie
>>
>>44289281
What the fuck are you talking about?

Banished, Hellborn, Homeless Mutant, Azure, Devil Summoner, Broken Sky Online, Totemist, Aspiring Emperor, Orc Warlord, Golem Knight.

These are all examples of quests that aren't needlessly cute or 100% edge.
And there are plenty of others, I just don't read them.

Do you only read anime quests or something? You're still wrong if you do, but they definitely swing further towards edge/SoL.
>>
>>44290238
>tfw half of these quests are dead/dying.
>>
>>44290653
No they aren't...

Which ones are dead/dying in your eyes anon?
>>
>>44290683
>Banished
>Totemist
>Devil Summoner
>Homeless Mutant

At least I haven't seen those update recently.
>>
>>44290683
This is /tg/. Every version of D&D is the worst, all the new models for 40k suck, every new expansion is the set that killed Magic, and all the quests I like are dying.
>>
>>44290653
?
>Banished
Has slowed considerably, but Soma is back to running thrice a week.
>Hellborn
Possibly, but Languid did give a reason for his absence, and there's no reason to think he won't continue when less busy.
>Homeless Mutant
Crusty has been busy with work. No reason for him to drop the quest, so far.
>Azure
Nope.
>Devil Summoner
Has been running steadily for a while.
>Broken Sky Online
Came back yesterday.
>Totemist
Diarca lost his internet connection. Though, it's about time for him to stop running until Q4 2016.
>Aspiring Emperor
Recently returned.
>Orc Warlord
Don't actually follow this, but it seems to be going strong.
>Golem Knight
Runs once a month.
>>
>>44290737
Banished ran a few days ago.
Crusty is trying to get a thread tomorrow according to his Ask.
Diacra is having internet issues so he couldn't run this weekend.
Devil Summoner ran TODAY. And on friday. The dudes been running tri weekly for months.

Missing a thread due to technical difficulties and the holidays isn't dying anon.
>>
>>44290797
>>44290823
eh, fair enough.

>Broken Sky Online
>Came back yesterday.

OH WHAT? FUCK I MISSED IT
>>
>>44290942
It's running right now too.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>44288138
>>44288992
That's what the players get for deciding to murder the shit out of the brother's surrogate family with a space mace before diplomancing him
>>
>Kind of like the premise of a quest from the OP
>Read a couple more posts
>The main character's name is so cheesy that it's almost cringe worthy

Damn.
>>
>>44291086
What kind of cheese we talking here? Cheddar?
>>
>>44291300
Provolone
>>
>>44291086
Quest?
>>
>>44291413
Digimang

Dash Addams
>>
>>44291483
>chuckles
>>
>>44291620
I have no idea who that is

What can I expect from that quest?

It's not gonna be smut, is it?
>>
File: KND-BLEACH.jpg (328 KB, 1280x1088) Image search: [Google]
KND-BLEACH.jpg
328 KB, 1280x1088
hey guys, how much planning for a quest is reasonable? I've got a google doc and have written out the first post there and written a few posts in the first thread that are going to be unavoidable (I'm doing create-a-character but in a very indirect way).

So how much should I plan before there just isn't anything more to do?
>>
>>44291795
... what is this image supposed to be?
>>
>>44291818
I'm planning a KND quest and literally saved a bunch of random images from googling KND and picked a random one.

Turned out to be that shit.

I promise you that will not be in the quest.
>>
Corsair quest is back on at last.
>>44291928
>>
>>44290238
Death Among the Stars seems to be doing well at avoiding either of those extremes. Despite the MC being an ancient evil Lich he seems like a pretty swell guy
>>
>>44291795
It really depends on the quest. On one hand you have people like questdrone who go full autism mode and write plan after plan after conspiracy after dice roll event thing to the point where you can't physically derail a thread without him having a plot chain for it. Unfortunately the quest appears to have died with his computer. Then there are people with little to no pre-planning
>>
>>44290683
Dungeon Life Quest, its definitely a dying quest

Because the MC is a necromancer!
>>
>>44292151
>Unfortunately the quest appears to have died with his computer
He actually got a new computer and saved all the files. He's been working on rehashing the number crunch.

Believe he's waiting for the new year to start up again
>>
>>44291757
Lots of smut probably.

if the MC isn't a girl, then maybe not as much.
>>
>>44292383
boy

Uh oh
>>
What quest has the most homoerotic sexual tension between men?
>>
>>44292383
Well, smut is naturally occurring in quests, even places where you think you'd never find it.

You can't imagine by surprise when suddenly Homeless Dom Quest.
>>
>>44292574
I... I can't think of any.
>>
>>44292574
Banished Quest.

Too bad fucking Soma railroaded us off the Profectus route.
>>
>>44292574
Living Weapon. Ivan x War OTP.
>>
>>44289281
No. It's something I'm concerned about, and actively go against, but it's not something that's happening with a good number of quests.

>>44290942
rejoice

>>44292574
De-
>between men
damn, I guess rainbow showerheads don't count?
>>
File: u 'avin a giggle.jpg (35 KB, 443x505) Image search: [Google]
u 'avin a giggle.jpg
35 KB, 443x505
>>44292790
>Railroading meme
>>
>>44293084
>Defending your own railroading
Why isn't there a single homosexual romance option, Soma?

Do you hate fags or something?
>>
>>44293120
>Do you hate fags or something? DIS BAIT
Wut? So because you can't slick or suck another cock its suddenly 'Hate'?
>>
>>44293367
It's hate by omission. If you don't hate homosexuals, why won't you allow your players to romance other males?
>>
>>44293402
What? Its hate by omission? Well damn ALOT of people hate me in real life then for excluding me by not letting me come over or letting me drink when I was a youngling.
>>
>>44293541
>>>/pol/
>>
>>44293571
>hate by omission
>I point out how retarded that statement is
>TOO POLLLLL!
Its almost like you don't know what Pol is.
>>
>>44293647
>Its almost like you don't know what Pol is.
It's where Stormfronters like you belong.
>>
>>44293674
Stormfronter?
>>
>>44293689
>>>/pol/
>>
>>44293708
??? Fucks a stormfronter?
>>
>>44293764
A /pol/ack
>>
>>44293764
Like a stormtrooper obviously.
>>
>>44294277
>>>/pol/
>>
This is a first, I'm watching someone getting mad at a QM for allowing his players to roll dice instead of the QM doing it himself.
>>
>>44294366
What
>>
>>44294408
That digimon quest, there's a self-professed newfag who is taking it really hard that the QM is asking for dice rolls, and demanding to know why the QM can't just roll all the dice himself to save us from reaching the bump limit.

He's started posting all in caps he's so frustrated by this fact. It's really strange to watch.
>>
I've been mapping out a potential quest world in Inkarnate. Going region by region.
>>
>>44294441
I suppose there's a first for everything huh?
>>
File: Lemme tell you.jpg (131 KB, 563x392) Image search: [Google]
Lemme tell you.jpg
131 KB, 563x392
>>44293120
Hey, I never said you couldn't fuck dudes and suck cock. All I've said on the matter is that the society Mik comes from finds homosexuality between men repulsive and homosexuality between women childish. Elven society is even harsher, ostracizing and (among some few tribes) outright killing those suspected of being homosexuals. They view those unwilling to take a wife or husband and pump out soldiers for the army as failing in their most vital and important civic duty.

If you wanted to be a queer, you shoulda gone to Aleamond. They might burn magic users at the stake, viciously persecute those who offend their religious sensibilities, and wage imperialistic wars of conquest on their neighbors but at least they're tolerant of the gay.
>>
>>44294441
>Newfag
He's probably from /a/ or something where threads don't last 10 hours unbumped.

I've seen quests advertised on other boards in the past, someone might've posted the Digimon quest on /a/'s general or something.
>>
The Mortal Kombat Konquest this weekend was a lot of fun.
>>
>>44294510
>They might burn magic users at the stake, viciously persecute those who offend their religious sensibilities, and wage imperialistic wars of conquest on their neighbors but at least they're tolerant of the gay
So they're SJWs?
>>
File: deathamongthestarsquest.gif (41 KB, 190x223) Image search: [Google]
deathamongthestarsquest.gif
41 KB, 190x223
Running an extra thread of Death Among the Stars tomorrow normal time to make up for missing last Thursday and next Thursday because of holiday nonsense.
>>
>>44294536
You really tried, it's ok.
Don't be too ashamed of how dumb that was
>>
>>44294536
I dunno, not really. They view Elves as second class citizens and Samjan as heathen darkies who need to convert or stay in their barren desert unless they're bringing over all the various spices, incense, exotic textiles, and recovered ancient text that their noble class so immensely covets. They're also a feudal society built on the backs of serfs with an expanding middle class composed mostly of bureaucrats, inventors, officers, and bankers which is constantly seeking to usurp and limit the power of the old aristocracy.

They're like France after the Black Death but before the Renaissance, sort of.
>>
Are quests with harem elements frowned upon? Not a harem quest, but one with more than one companion who may or may not be interested in the MC?
>>
>>44294962
It's fine, so long as it isn't the main focus of the quest.
>>
>>44295006
>Some people will frown rather harshly at you, others will kiss the very ground you tread.
>Just do what you fucking want

That seems like the best advice to 90% of questions asked here
>>
>>44294962
I think it's more an matter of handling than a good or bad flag. I think the possibility of romance is important to quests, not that I particularly care about waifus but just that quests are mostly character relationships and romance is the most obvious type of.
>>
>>44295059
Someone really needs to do some quest science. I have a number boner.
>>
>>44285896

Has there been a good Tokyo Ghoul-ish Quest where you play as a Dove? The few I've seen never got off the ground. There was Bureau Quest, but it was a one-off and had characters from really fucked-up hentai.

You know, something with smart-dressed government spooks fighting demons.
>>
>>44295088
What do you mean by quest science?
>>
>>44295099
>smart-dressed government spooks fighting demons
Extranatural Enforcer Quest, kind of. Though it's dead.
>>
>>44295099

That one was by JQOP, it's deriative of his stuff. You should hear his stupid opinions about Paladins.
>>
File: 1450657548666.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450657548666.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>44295165
>Still this mad months later
>>
>>44295165
>You should hear his stupid opinions about Paladins.

Don't hold out on us. What is it?
>>
How would you rate the current Star Wars quests?
>>
>>44295228

Basically, "Kill the people God asks you to kill. Don't listen to them, ever, even if they might have a point."
>>
>>44295420
I like them.
>>
>>44295497
So like, not human beings, but terminators sent by God
>>
>>44295420
Fortune Hunter is good.

Sith Apprentice is passable.

Jedi Apprentice is bad.

A New Star Wars Quest is terrible.
>>
>>44295511

Yeah, but with no self-awareness. Don't stop to think even if it's a cute girl or Tits from Maou Yuusha. Just kill her because Demons are Evil. Hate because God Told You So and subjective morality would make your tiny mind explode.
>>
I want to run a survival/horror game based heavily on 30 Days of Night, but I worry that anons will all get salty as fuck at every death and setback that a "keep as many survivors alive for 30 days" challenge requires.

Am I being paranoid?
>>
File: 1 Ghtroc 720, Star Turtle.jpg (636 KB, 1088x994) Image search: [Google]
1 Ghtroc 720, Star Turtle.jpg
636 KB, 1088x994
>>44295524
>>44295508

I've been kicking around the idea of a Star Wars quest featuring high adventure with no Force-sensitive main characters that follows six crewmates on a freighter (pic related), with the catch being that the players can, at any time, switch between any member of the crew and the primary perspective would then change to that character. They could work multiple angles of a job/mission by switching to these characters, and each would feature a distinct personality, class and species with differing skills, equipment and experience.

What do you think?
>>
File: Crew.png (316 KB, 937x179) Image search: [Google]
Crew.png
316 KB, 937x179
>>44295816

Funny you should say that, I do have an Ithorian, actually. Here's the initial lineup I was working with.
>>
>>44295793
Only if it has a Mandalorian waifu who refuses to speak anything but mandalorian.
>>
>>44292574
Sith Academy Quest skipped the tension and went straight for the date night and sex
>>
>>44295793
Sounds like it'd be a lot of work, but I'd give it a try.
You might need to work hard on characterising each crewmember to avoid the players making them all act the same.
>>
>>44295420
SAQ/JAQ are pretty fucking fun.
>>
File: Norbial, Ithorian, Scientist.jpg (278 KB, 605x454) Image search: [Google]
Norbial, Ithorian, Scientist.jpg
278 KB, 605x454
>>44295899

>You might need to work hard on characterising each crewmember to avoid the players making them all act the same.

I would definitely have that as a priority, as well as keeping track what gear and such that each character currently has. When faced with a mission/job, the players would get to formulate how they want to approach any situation, and when not controlling any of the characters, the ones they are not controlling would act in accordance with their plan/wishes, so that there would be no unpredictable factors (with the player characters, anyway). The players would get to meta-game a bit in that they can get perspective on a situation from six different angles, and they would have to approach problems from a bit of a non-linear style.

I would liken it to the character-switch mechanics of GTAV, or Lakeview Cabin Collection, or other games that feature a similar mechanic.
>>
>>44295865
>Just blasts 'Vode An' in her room any time someone tries to get her to speak Basic
>>
I still don't know what's going on with Orc Quest
>>
>>44289476
Actually, I think twitter vamp has stopped showing up here. You'd probably be better off sending a tweet to his account instead.
>>
>>44296971
>>44296780
>>44295865

I'm not really interested in having a mandalorian waifubait character

I'm sorry if that's a deal breaker but I'd like it to be a bit more than just waifus
>>
>>44296938
He still hangs around in Spooky, at least.
>>
>>44297046
Spooky still exists?
>>
>>44297086
http://desustorage.org/tg/thread/44188296/
Barely, but it gets a hundred or so posts a day.
>>
>>44297086
It's pretty much dead by now. All that remains is blog shit and /pol/ shit.
>>
>>44297008
Nah dude, do your thing. WQDT and /tg/ in general gets caught up fleshing out stupid ideas - that often start out at jokes, at that - that they lose sight of the bigger picture .

If you're having fun, your players are more likely to have fun
>>
Guys, heres a bad idea: Naruto Sniper Quest.

Gun autism (and believe me when I say long range shooting involves autism) meets Naruto autism.

>Travel the world
>Take in the beautiful sights
>Shoot people
>Shoot/evade their superhuman bodyguards because you're just some asshole with a rifle

Living the dream
>>
>>44297008
Was a joke on my part, breh. Do your thing.
>>
Question to those better versed in quests here: are there any worthwhile alt. history quests similar to Crusader Quest?
>>
>>44298226
Three Kingdoms Quest is the only other alt. history quest that I know of, and it has unfortunately not run in a very long time.
>>
>>44292574
Joker Quest. Despite the QM hating homosexuals.
>>
>>44294512
/a/? Sounds more like SB's approach.
>>
>>44298597
Nah, those EAsians don't register it as homosexual tension. Just deep manly friendship.
>>
Wow what happened here?

This thread used to be pure cancer but now people actually discuss quests?
>>
>>44298632
We had CheMOEtherapy. The cancer that was that website has now been purged
>>
>>44298632
Since we're up for a shorter amount of time it's harder to run out of things to talk about.
>>
Ideas that you want to play in or run?
>>
>>44299743
AdEva quest.
Pretty sure Tangs dead so we need new one.
>>
>>44298597

That's the problem with so much homosexuality. Now you can't be bros without one guy thinking "Does he secretly want to fuck me? Is he hoping to someday plough my ass?"

You can't have a proper friendship if there's a risk that kind of shit might happen. I will say that most of Joker's male friends tend to be less bitchy and more understanding than the girls.
>>
>>44299765
As in "it's NGE but from a different perspective" or just taking place in an NGE- inspired setting?
>>
>>44299874
hmm...
I think the latter is more flexible but the former is easier.

Your thought?
>>
>>44299817
>>>/trash/
>>
>>44299926
Well I wouldn't run it (not exactly my style) but a quest that's basically AdEva complete with a new set of characters, themes, locations, enemies, and so on, it might be interesting to me.

I don't even care which theme a potential QM would decide on, anything from Aztec to Zoroastrian could be interesting, as long as it's your own work and somewhat fresh. God knows if anyone would decide to waste a setting they've actually put effort into on a /tg/ quest.
>>
>QM question

Nothing, because i am a new QM myself, a flawed and a terrible one for sure.

So i had to stop posting for about 2-3 weeks due to some health issues. When I am back, I feel like I am forgotten. I already had a small player base to begin with.... nothing wrong with that though.

Should i just start new threads hoping for some newcomers/old players or what?

Sorry for this blogshit.
>>
>>44295562
Demons are evil though.
>>
>>44300053
I remembered one such setting that used hindu myths. They used arms instead of core and each eva have an arms attached to it. Two arms will make you crazy and you need one arm to kill them

The angels are the reincarnations of vishnu and each angels are trying to wake him up.

Might be wrong but this is all i can remembered
>>
>>44299743
I've been thinking of running a one shot based on trapper or haunting ghost from CYOA thread where we are an entity trapping souls in a house ans slowly kill them.

Much like ghost master but a bit more sinister
>>
>Tfw having trouble balancing between running my quest and playing tabletop games
On the one hand, Saturday is a good day for running a quest. On the other hand, I've been looking to try Exalted for a long time now.

At this rate though, I may only be able to run once a week. Any other QMs have this problem?
>>
>>44299743
Monogatari Quest

MC is your average high school student involved in a 7 man Occult Studies club, only to find out all the members are afflicted with Oddities of some sort.

Bear, Toad, Sloth, Shark, Hawk, Scorpion, Fox roster?
>>
With the holidays coming, is it better to not run the first thread of a quest and just run one-shots until after the New Year?
>>
>>44300253
I'd rather have it as Phenomeno rather than Monogatari to lower the bar on expectations.
>>
>>44300253
Why limit yourself to animal-type Oddities like Monogatari did? You could have any sort of supernatural event happen to them. Body switching, time loops, etc.
>>
I know we've probably hit peak Star Wars quests, but would anybody be interested in a Dark Side Adept quest, set between Ep3 and 4.

You'd be a newly trained adept sent to hunt down Jedi in hiding, similar to the Force Unleashed but the power levels would all be much lower.

I'd draw a lot from the old EU since I don't really get what's canon or not anymore.

What sort of playstyles would you like? I was thinking of giving a choice between a lightsaber heavy executioner, an unarmed warlock with huge potential force abilities and a deceiver who can use the force to conceal their power and intentions.

What sort of races should I make available?
>>
>>44301584
I would be interested only if you promise not to have anything to do with waifus.
>>
>>44301584
I would only be interested if you promise to do everything with waifus
>>
>>44301584
I would be interested only if you promise to have waifus but not have everything about them.
>>
>>44301584
I would be interested if only waifus had everything to do with anything or nothing at all.
>>
>>44301584
I would be interested only if you promise to have the waifus do everyone.
>>
>>44301677
>waifus that encompass everything and nothing
So are these Schrodinger's Waifus or Zen Buddhist Waifus?

I hope it's the latter
>>
>>44301697
Well, seeing as how this is Star Wars, I'll go with Zen Buddhist Jedi Waifus who encompass Everything and Nothing, while at the same time being representative of the dark and light sides of the Force.
>>
>>44301760
So basically, Kreia and Revan but as cute girls?
>>
>>44301841
Well, yeah. Basically.
>>
>>44301868
Works for me. When's the quest?
>>
>>44301841
You're saying they weren't already? They were in my game.
>>
>>44301887
IDK, I'm not the QM, just some guy.
>>
>>44301841
I still get peeved when people say Kreia was a grey Force user, when all she did throughout the game was Sithy dark side things.
>>
>>44302121
Thing is, I think Kreia believed on some level that she was a grey force user too. She was a sith in denial.
>>
>>44302121
Works for me. That way she could use both Light Side and Dark Side powers without the force point penalty.

Although when you reach midgame the penalties are negligible, specially since she is a Consular. All dem Force points.
>>
>>44301584
>Another Star Wars quest
Please no. This and DBZ really need to stop.
>>
>>44302169
You ready for the flood of OPM quests, anon?
>>
For all those interested, the second thread of AT-TE Commander Quest will be up in a couple of hours. Can you, a clone fresh from Kamino, stay alive in a walking death trap? Last thread, they were very, very lucky.

@ObserverQM is the twitter to follow me at.
>>
>>44302169
I don't understand the complaints about over saturation when usually the people that complain about that don't even read them.

Does the sight of them on the catalog really bother you that much?
>>
>>44302121
She hated Jedi AND Sith. She wanted complete emancipation from the Force.

The reason she did Sithy things was because she was trying to make a second Exile buy couldn't work out the exact formula
>>
>>44302432
She hated Jedi and Sith because she couldn't control them and neither could stand to be in the same room as her.

Who cares what her end goal was? My point is that she stayed squarely in dark side territory throughout the whole game, but people still praise her character for being "morally grey" and "deconstructing the concepts of light and dark".
>>
>>44299817
>wah wah male/female friendship can't exist
>wah wah beta orbiters
>wah wah wah wah wah waaaaaahhhh
>>
>>44300437
Crab isn't really a crab though. Snail isn't really a snail. Those are all metaphors (or were supposed to be) for other stuff because Japanese language.
>>
>>44302563
How well do you think those concepts would translate into English?
>>
>>44302630
Use English proverbs, or wordplay?
>>
>>44299817
I know this is bait but I still can't help but laugh if you think your neckbearded ass is good looking enough to have your gay friends attracted to you.
>>
>>44289281
>my quest will never be suggested as a "happy middle ground"

Sure does suck to run during the week.
>>
>>44302518
>She hated Jedi and Sith because she couldn't control them
She had no problem controlling jedi/sith.

It was the fact that the Force was controlling HER that she despised. She explicitly says as much and Avellone confirms it, how do so many people miss such a fundamental motivation of her character?
>>
>>44303002
>She had no problem controlling jedi/sith

Seriously? Remember her flashback when Nihilus and Sion wrecked her?

And how does her motivation factor in? My point stands, she isn't a "grey-sided" character. She encourages the main character to manipulate and sacrifice their allies for selfish ends, pushes Atris over the edge into the dark side, and eventually returns to Malachor and gathers up a bunch of dark side students.
>>
>>44303050
She tempts you and wants you to not only reject her temptations, but understand WHY you're rejecting the Dark Side. You don't HAVE to sacrifice anyone and she berates you just as hard if you're an edgy little sith.

Hell, she even calls you a failure (just like Sion and Nihlus) if you go full DS and murder everyone. She doesn't want to be grey like Jolee since grey implies you're still part of the Light/Dark divide, only that you straddle the fence.

She wanted something OUTSIDE of the Force that still understood both Light and Dark and rejected them equally in favor of free will. That's why she was so interested in the Exile. Not just because you were a hole in the Force, but because you walked away all those years ago.
>>
>>44303180
>Kreia: You should sacrifice your friends if it comes to it.
>Player: Yeah sure.
>[KREIA INFLUENCE GAINED]

Come on mate. Her whole shtick was manipulating other people to do what you wanted them to do.

Remember how she forced her way into Atton's mind and blackmailed him into doing what she wanted? Sure, it was her free will to make that decision, but that doesn't mean it was outside of the realm of dark and light. She is a bad person.
>>
>>44303239
I think she wants to embody the lack of attachment of the Jedi with the selfish ambition of the Sith.
Just my thought, though.
>>
>>44303239
I never said she wasn't a bad person.

Hell, she herself says she's too entrenched in the Force and addicted to its power to ever be free of it the way the Exile is. That's why she kept trying to make successors that could be free of it by learning the lesson of Malachor that you did.

You also seem to forget that most of your influence gains with Kreia come from listening to her lessons and either agreeing with them or providing a thought out rebuttal rather than regurgitating some Jedi maxim.
>>
>>44303324
So... you agree that she isn't the god of grey morality? Which is what I was trying to say in the first place?
>>
>>44303483
My whole point from the start is that she isn't a grey Jedi and never wanted to be. She wants to go full kebab removal on the very concept of the force for fucks sake.

However, she also encourages you to think outside the light/dark dichotomy
>>
Quests!
>>
>>44289281

The Mortal Kombat one is neither
>>
AT-TE Commander Quest is up, massive OP edition.

>>44305129

Let's do this, troopers.
>>
>>44292574
ACACQ
>>
>>44302239
I used to read Sith Apprentice, but gave up on it. I've given all the others a try at least, even Jedi Apprentice which I thought I probably wouldn't like. I also gave each of the DBZ quests a fair shake, even though I realized most of them were SOMNIUS in disguise.

It's not that I don't like quests, or even that I don't like fanfiction quests. It's just that for some reason I haven't liked a single one from either of those franchises.
>>
>>44302239
Not DBZ or SW per se, but I'm tired of dealing with new QMs who almost go out of their way making the rookie mistakes.

I'm tired of hoping that X franchise will get something of actual quality. Or length. And isn't a waifusim.
>>
File: 1427157837862.jpg (75 KB, 738x1200) Image search: [Google]
1427157837862.jpg
75 KB, 738x1200
We're here for just a little while tonight.
Come join us for Broken Sky Online Session 18!
>>44309252
>>
>>44308326
>>44309030
Sounds like they just aren't for you, then.
>>
Is it safe to say that I can black out the entire two weeks of holidays before running a quest? I'm just guessing that everybody is too busy in some way during this two-week window, yes? No?
>>
>>44309961
You're running for 4chan. Barring Christmas, you're going to have players every day. Just not as many.
>>
Since when did it become acceptable to have an update time longer than 20 minutes on /tg/? Are there really that many slow QMs?
>>
>>44310359
Twenty is my average.
I'm slow as shit, especially when dialogue is concerned, but I usually write a lot (and try not to take too long if I'm not writing a lot).
>>
>>44310359
It's been acceptable for fucking years.
>>
>>44310462
I get overly antsy if I can't make it to the ten minute mark. I'm usually used to turning around in 5-7 minutes. Am I being too hard on myself?
>>
>>44310482
I get the impression that, if I don't update within ten minutes, anons start ditching the thread.
>>
>>44285896
Would it be too silly to run a quest using vocaroo (I believe that's how it's spelled)?
It would be a mix of text and voice. I'd have a couple of different voice actors come in from time to time.
>>
>>44310568
How much are you paying Nyanners to show up?
>>
>>44310556
How little/fast do you write? Most fast QMs I follow get a couple of word limit posts out in 20-30 minutes.

Others take up to an hour for the same, or an hour for ~5 word limit posts.
>>
>>44310359
I would consider an hour long. Not unacceptable, just long.
>>
>>44310510
Yeah
>>
>>44310636
Yeah GraveQM does 20-30 min updates with pretty good regularity
>>
>>44310359
Who knows. I know that after I got used to Hex's update speed I can't really notice a difference between 10 and 60 minute update periods, so I find them all acceptable.

I think AToW may have broken something important inside of me.
>>
>>44310830
>I think AToW may have broken something important inside of me.
Your taste.
>>
>>44310869
That has been broken for way longer than that.
>>
File: 1448654932955.png (75 KB, 198x198) Image search: [Google]
1448654932955.png
75 KB, 198x198
>>44310869
>quests
>taste
Cmon, son.
>>
>>44310694
>>44310785
>>44310830
Fuck it, it looks like, for the first time in three years, I am running my quest thread ahead of schedule rather than delayed.

See you all in thirty minutes. My top speed is 5 minutes, averaging on 10. I'm gonna have to massively wing my oneshot here, just so you all know.
>>
QMs, what would make you abandon your quests?
>>
>>44311777
Lack of interest in the waifus
>>
>>44311777
No one playing it.
>>
>>44311777
Nobody showing up I guess.
>>
>>44311777
No one playing it.
>>
>Hey guys, mimic quest monday!
>monday happens
>no mimic quest

ohhhhhh
>>
HF runs Crusader quest when?
>>
>>44310622
It would be my wife and I most of the time. I wouldn't pay anyone. I'm broke as fuck. Who is Nyanners?
>>
>>44312219
>>44312737
>>44312156
This is why I'm asking. I had maybe two people show up in the last quest I ran. Should I try again one more time or just let it die?
>>
>>44312995
Hand of Fate?
>>
If you run a Star Wars Quest and you don't fashion your OP as the classic scrolling text you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>44313065
Not going to say. I do have players that respond regularly and I don't want them feeling singled out.
>>
>>44311777
Lack of interest. The consistent feeling that I'm the only one there other than voting times (and sometimes not even then) has got me really considering quitting.
>>
>>44312995
My belief is that if you have one player who is enjoying your quest, and you, yourself, are enjoying writing your quest, then it's worth it to keep going.

However I can entirely sympathize with the feeling of crushing disappointment and doubt about why you try when you only have one or two anons show up.

In the end, you need to draw a line at where you feel you personally can keep going without feeling like that feeling costs you more than the enjoyment you're getting.

I'd give it a three-thread grace period though, to see if it was just a slow day or if circumstances happened. If, after that, there's no changes or your feelings stay the same... Well, do what's best for you.
>>
>>44310359
It's fine. Especially if it's a long post or they've been running for awhile. It's a good idea to give people a heads up if you're going to take longer than average though.
>>
Are there any current quests that run on Euro time?
>>
What do you think about a 40k quest at the operational level, where you play a general and shift forces around the front to try and break through.

With some Red Storm Rising-style grunt's-eye-view segments
>>
How do you string combat chain actions when in vehicular combat?
>>
>>44316594
copy Skies of Arcadia?

Or maybe suikoden, it had naval combat right? Never tried it myself, though.
>>
Is a system where you take heavy damage, but regenerate a certain amount of wounds a turn, compelling? I feel like it would lead to natural lulls in combat where one goes on the defensive and such.
>>
>>44316723
CoD health regen? Maybe if there's a context for it. Otherwise it's relentless offense vs turtling.
>>
Is the MC of that demon lord quest on akun the biggest fuck-up in recent quest history?
>>
File: 05_NHL_Shield.svg.png (104 KB, 899x1024) Image search: [Google]
05_NHL_Shield.svg.png
104 KB, 899x1024
Sports based quest's is it possible?
>>
Question, Sports based quests are they possible?
>>
>>44317059
>>44317109
Yes. Now either run it or don't.
>>
>>44317183
Ok, apologies for my double post... 4chan fucked up and I'm just curious that's all.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a eyeshield 21, or hockey quest?
>>
How would you guys feel about a warhammer fantasy Knightly order quest?

You could play as a squire and work your way up in the ranks or make a new order of Knights and go from there?

Alternatively you can just be a Junior member and do some adventuring.

Don't think I've ever seen a quest for WHFB ever last.
>>
File: Crysis_Cover.jpg (28 KB, 266x374) Image search: [Google]
Crysis_Cover.jpg
28 KB, 266x374
I didn't want to push the thread toward autosage, but I did have a pitch.

I wanted to make a Crysis quest. It follows the original Raptor team on their insertion on the island.
Here's the twist: I'm going to give all the members of Raptor quirky personalities and let the players codec call them as often as they want. It'll be similar to MGS. They'll get a full support team on the radio they can contact at any time.

The whole quest would be running small missions, espionage missions, talking about useless shit over the radio, and maybe even getting to buddy around with soldiers and civilians in the only populated city, friend and foe alike.

I was thinking the tone would be comical with that hint of military grit.
What do you think?
>>
>>44315660
Europe's a big place dude
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.