[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stealthy PCs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: FB_IMG_1446163315699.jpg (102 KB, 875x1414) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446163315699.jpg
102 KB, 875x1414
Hey \tg\

I'm running a game with one character who's always stealthing about. He min maxed like a motherfucker and began the game at 7 Stealth. 7even is huge because it's a 1-6 stat, 1-7 skill game and such a stat is as godlike to wield as it is Hurculean to obtain. It was clean and he has many other weaknesses (uncharismatic, kindah dumb, very low endurance).

He takes everything really slow and sneaks around everywhere, relying on thrown explosives on the off chance anyone's observation beats his Stealth (iPlan to have a group commonly sporting 5/4 observation once we're back from break). I have a hard time countering this w/out feeling cheap.

Ideas? Especially about explosives, which due to the manual's wording are kind of godmodding if also playing with fire.
>>
It's hard to be stealthy if you're lobbing explosives; in fact, it should be more likely using them would reveal his presence.

I'm more interested in the Princess Peach picture you have there.
>>
>>44279398
Provide situations where stealthing doesn't cut it. Not all the time, but try to limit the time he can shine to his share of the game time.

Examples specifically against this character would include social judo and goals, planning and puzzle solving, or endurance gauntlet missions. This is all providing the other characters excel in those areas, mind; try to keep the other PCs abilities in mind so they can actually do the things you're leaving for them.

Various time limits may also work, removing his ability to go slow and safe. Areas may also just have low or no cover, removing his ability to be straight up sneaky, provided it doesn't kneecap the rest of the party as well.
>>
File: funny-image-708.jpg (40 KB, 604x522) Image search: [Google]
funny-image-708.jpg
40 KB, 604x522
>>44279398
Min-maxing a character in stealth and then using explosives?

Pic-related.
>>
>>44279462
He uses that as an oh shit I'm caught to avoid combat.

>>44279521
We do have lots of social stuff, mostly other party members mingle with Martian High Society and he handles the wetwork.

The issue is he has 6 AGL (stat max) and he rolls 7d6. Generally speaking a fest requiring a sum of 20 is deemed "impossible." And I have motherfuckers rolling 30s.
>>
>>44279521
Or have people straight up ambush the group. He can't sneak around all the time, and even if he does, throw the bad guys into melee with the rest of the party. Can't use explosives there without hurting the rest of the group, and his stealth means very little if his friends are getting killed in the process.
>>
Give him a counterpart among the enemy. Have rumors flying around about them first so it doesn't seem like it came out of nowhere, build up to them, then sneak his sneak so they can have a sneaking duel.
>>
>>44279542
So why the fuck did you let him be this good?

A tip for another time: don't let your players min max like this, even if the system allows it. And for the love of God, don't let him start at max stat and max skill. I can almost guarantee he will be looking for ways to get better as the game proceeds, because while it is cool to be really good at what you do, most people prefer to have some kind of progression. He won't, he'll be stuck at the same level from now to forever.
>>
File: tumblr_nas2hztD2w1tb7g12o1_1280.png (195 KB, 579x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nas2hztD2w1tb7g12o1_1280.png
195 KB, 579x667
>>44279462
Scrolled through literally a year of downloads to find this for you Anon.
>>
>>
>>44279398
I played that kind of character before. It was a hunter-killer shapeshifter with enhanced senses who was originally planned as a high-speed-low-drag fighter with stealth as a backup option. But when the actual game came, it turned out I could play stealth really really well.

That is, until shit start hitting the fan and I had to actually fight. And you, as the DM, have to spin the fan which he throws shit at.

As it stands right now, it feels like your game is suffering from Skyrim-tier stealth mechanics. If he can use THROWN EXPLOSIVES 'stealthily', there has to be some sort of issue here.

Consider making the environment behave similar to how it works in Hitman games. Once guards start to find dead bodies, their AI changes, their patrolling routes change, they start actively searching the area and hunting for you, especially after an explosive goes off.

Having NPCs actively looking for your pretty much entitles them to a +1-2 on rolls to detect you because they're more alert and attentive now. If they know that they are up against that specific character (maybe someone tipped them off beforehand? plot hook potential here), they could even adapt to his tactics and gain even greater bonuses. That kind of thing is not cheap, or at least better than intentionally putting the character in a situation where their stats are lacking just to see them fail. Amp up the challenge.
>>
>>44279612
Thanks Anon but to clarify, the jig is fucking UP once those come out and thongs start going boom.

It's a no-magic setting with roughly late 1880s early 1900s tech so iHave a hard time making guards hugely aware. I try to set them up Hitman style but those high ass rolls + proper prior planning have his ass covered.
>>
>>44279699
>>44279398
So he's incredibly stealthy. How?
Because being in a dark area and silent is not the same as invisibility.
Light ------ PC------ NPC
If the above is how it looks then he's seen unless he's also disgused. In reality stealth is mostly about looking like you're supposed to be there and knowing on how to move in a proper setting.
Sneaking into a high class party for example is NOT about hiding under the tables or in the food carts to travel about. It's about putting on a tux and mingling or look like a very busy servant.

What's the reason for his stealth?
>>
>>44279398
1-6 stat, 1-7 skill
Is this Shadowrun? What game and die system are we talking about.

Start having Tacticool enemies that are able to deduce or triangulate his position eventually if he isn't careful.

I'm sure he can't be invisible in broad daylight, so there's gotta be penalties for something.
Try to trick him into burning down the forest he's hiding in so to speak.
>>
>>44279699
>Martian High Society
>It's a no-magic setting with roughly late 1880s early 1900s tech

Putting on my deerstalker, am I to deduce you are playing the Ubiquity version of Space:1889?
>>
>>44279398
>>44279731
>>44279729
And unless he's some sort of pixie he's a mansized object which even by the most extreme cases can't fit under a cupboard or hide behind a door from a person who guards something important. If he has even given half a shit baout his job he wants a clear line of view in chokepoints.

Since it's in the victorian Era this is going to be hard since buildings are generally old or quickly constructed factories or some shit. So either cranky corridors and narrow places or huge steam machines or crates. PLenty of palces to hide in.

But these kind of people are used to this shit. Hiding in corridors with oillights mean that they are more careful on guarding the important bits. Make the enemy come to you. Never be alone. Groups of 3. 2 at the very least. Suspect people that are alone. Always.
>>
>>44279542
I mean if other people get to shine in what they do, what's the big dealio? And you said it yourself. He min maxed. Reward him with letting him use his max, but challenge him by playing on those mins.

Try to set it up, so that at least once in a while being not so great at everything but stealth is a problem. Like set something up so that he can run and hide from it, but that's bad end, or at the very least meh end. I mean if you had taken this on more directly, combat, social, what have you, you could might have been better rewarded.

Promote thinking outside the box, doing other things that aren't creeping in the shadows. And of course worst come to worse, surely the baddies are going to catch wind of some mysterious force dicking things over. Nobody knows who (though if he dumped social stats, they might start suspecting if you play your cards right), but they know someone is. Beef things up. More patrols, patrols more spread out, better armed, give them aoe attacks, so that when he starts breaking out the explosives, they only need to know the vague direction.
>>
>>44279769
Have you ever been on guard duty, shit is not fun, your mind wanders, you get sleepy. Falling asleep on guard duty is such a popular because its so easy, hell even when you're with multiple people its only a matter of time before everyone says fuck it and its a sleepover.
>>
File: all i want for my birthday is.jpg (108 KB, 572x800) Image search: [Google]
all i want for my birthday is.jpg
108 KB, 572x800
>>44279766
Ubiquity? No.

Original rules. Which are rapidly being heavily modified to make them unshit.

The general jist is roll a d6 and hit 7 - skill or more to succeed, else roll skilld6 and hit a set difficulty or more in total to succeed. It works fine for other shit but not Stealth.

>>44279731
No, Space 1889. Yeah I'm creating a cult of assassins highly prevalent in the Empire they're going to travel through next. With good obs and Stealth to make it risk.

>>44279769
Not set on Earth though. Still lots of good places to hide, especially as much of Martian cities are un-used.

>>44279803
Mostly I don't want him to Stealthkill anyone remotely challenging before they can wind up fighting the rest of the party in a real fight.

>>44279834
Yes yes let the comments flow.
>pic related
Martians be (quasi)kinky.
>>
>>44279859
((When iHave made Stealthard on him in the best I have forced him to quickroll and on a 1 fail; that's when the explosives came out--there's a rule about 6 always succeeds and 1 always fails but that got dropped real fast)).
>>
>>44279859
>Mostly I don't want him to Stealthkill anyone remotely challenging before they can wind up fighting the rest of the party in a real fight.

As someone who has had many a big baddie killed before their time. If they aren't ready to fight the party, they should not reveal themselves.If they are being hunted down before hand, they've revealed themselves indirectly.

If they are being revealed by someone whose only function is silent death, then they are leaving themselves too far out in the open. At the very least other party members should be getting involved to sniff them out, and if that's the case, then good on them, they earned it.
>>
>>44279890
There are no BBEGs in this campaign, I just mean anyone who could feasibly threaten them. And plenty of people who don't.

He never deals with repercussions because any way I could link him to the killings would be DM Fiat on a kind of bullshit plane and he's too clever to fall for the usual consequence-of-your-actions bullshit unless it's some kind of Xantos gambit.
>>
>>44279909
Well if people are just dying, then people who think they might be next should probably start hiding, or at the very least acting with a healthy bit of paranoia.

And if the people who keep disappearing happen to be threatening to the party (sadly the and not makes this more tricky), then someone could put two and two together. Wouldn't know it was him, but might start watching the party, looking at their motives.

And hey, if that's still too much fiat for you, well, set something up. Make sure the next person who threatens them does so openly. Maybe deliberately, maybe not. But that could certainly draw unwanted attention when these people suddenly take the same hit others have.
>>
File: communion.jpg (64 KB, 500x655) Image search: [Google]
communion.jpg
64 KB, 500x655
>>44279942
He mercs random guards, scouts, reports back; failing that,

Yeah people are shaky but he isn't merc'ing people from the same outfit or even in the same city, so I mean,yeah at some point they're terrorizing the region but how do I explain guards being on-edge over a minor explosion with no survivors 150 miles away? They probs don't know it happened.

Later in the game I do intend to have him encounter people who are a match for him. The party already failed to detect a member of the anti-Party spying on them, so that's going to be great as he's now reported back what he observed.

The dude has a double identity. But yeah, that's actually a great idea, Anon. Fucking have someone be like "red filth, get off our planet or ELSE" and then they get, to no-one's great surprise, merc'd.

Brilliant Anon, pure plot gold.
>>
>>44279984
Glad to be able to give you some ideas.
>>
>>44279834
I have actually been on guard duty. I want to make it as easy as I possibly could. Sure, my mind wandered. But that meant for me to make the act of streamlining my actual work tasks a high priority.

Though I worked with training freaks who spent their work hours doing laps and taking turn doing push ups.. Sleeping was not even remotely on my mind.
>>
>>44280236
I've struggled with it. But mind you my guard duty involved looking at a 3x3 camera grid (of which only 5 cameras had any purpose), and doing bi-hourly rounds.

Now that is some boring shit at 4am.
>>
>>44279859
Dude really sounds like like he's enjoying himself with the Guerilla Unibomber tactics he's pulling from what I'm hearing.

Keep in mind you want to give him a challenge, not compete with him. Give him ways to scheme and sneak and means to butt tact against tact.
>>
>>44279549
>5 days later, no one has found the other guy. Both wish they had put more points into Perception.
>>
>>44279398
What's wrong with letting him be good at what he does?
>>
>>44279398
>He takes everything really slow and sneaks around everywhere
Put him in situations where he has to hurry and can't afford to be cautious. Make it clear that every second wasted makes it more likely that he already failed.
>>
>>44279462
>>44279563
>>44279569
>You will never play a stealthy bikini princess
>Who's stealth skills are so high she can strut around more or less naked and not be noticed
>>
>>44280409
Well, in my last group we had a guy that did that shit every game. Drove the rest of us fucking crazy cause it slowed the game to a crawl and since we all knew what he was going to do every turn in every situation he could've not even shown up and any one of us could play for him. Maybe it's something like that?
>>
>>44281798
well at that point in time you do one of 2 things. talk to the guy about trying something new, flex his roleplaying muscles.

you run something which absolutely does not cater to that style of play. which hey, if everyone else is into that, it's barely passive aggressive.
>>
>>44281829
We tried the first. Didn't take. So we just started not giving him the opportunity to run ahead and do single player adventures anymore.
>>
>>44281765
Well, the Princess Peach segments in the Paper Mario series are basically stealth segments.
>>
>>44281851
fair enough. if he was doing his own thing that often it really can be a pain. little here and there is fine, hell super encouraged in some games/settings. but you do have to remember, there are other people at the table, and the gm can only focus on so much at one time.
>>
>>44279539
>dailylolpic.com watermark

>>44279398
>joy reactor.ccc watermark
>Facebook image

Is this some sneaky troll?
>>
>>44281860
>dance skills
>disguise
>becomes invisible

Peach is definitely a rogue. She continues being a princess despite being the only publicly visible royalty because her bluff is through the roof.

Bowser's just trying to lift the shadowy veil from over the kingdom.
>>
>>44281860
>>44283587
>That invisible naked Peach sequence
Anyone ever have to do something similar? Like your character becomes invisible but your equipment isn't?
>>
>>44279569
Why is the sun so fucking angry?
>>
>>44284278
Aren't you too young to be browsing 4chan?
>>
File: 1244435715207.jpg (366 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1244435715207.jpg
366 KB, 800x800
>>44284278
It's not angry! It's just...glaring intensely at Peach's backside.

Understandably so, I might add.
>>
>>44281860
the sequel was pretty kinky in that regard, her walking around naked while invisible and all that
>>
>>44279398
Make it harder and harder for him to stealth. I mean word get around that there is a maniac who is next to imposible to spot and if spotted lobs C4. Some ideas that you can use: motion activaited traps, water based traps (you step on presure plate, water falls, half of youre explosives are fucked now). Maybe give him a mucguffin that will make it harder to stealth (emits light/sound). Make rooms small so his attacks have a chance of hurting him etc etc. But dont fuck the dude over just like that, he read the rules and made a strong cherecter, not his fault that you can do such things with the system
>>
>>44284300
Aren't you too retarded to be out of /b?
>>
>>44284572
Nice comeback junior.
>>
>>44284601
Thanks /b/tard
>>
Stealth in general is a difficult thing to pull off in games. If they're going on infiltration missions the scenarios need multiple approaches that a single individual cannot solve alone. Diamond heist in a room with motion sensors. The thief can sneak into the control room and turn off the sensors, then go to the diamond, but this takes much longer and someone can notice something is off. Meanwhile his explosions means that if he fails, the entire job fails. Early on low level challenges he can ace solo. But eventually they'll be going after better things guarded better, by people who get paid to make DAMN sure things stay secure. Guards on patrol give regular status reports, and announce over their radio before they look into anything. If the guards give an all clear every ten minutes, and there are cameras looking at every important junction, and the camera room and the vault control room are on opposite sides of the complex, then it is near impossible for sneak guy to solo.

But what if they're contracted to infiltrate a place and deliver the prototype weapon being developed, which is a fuck-huge cannon? What if sneak guy only needs to get to the security room to open the door, then they need to fight their way out? What if getting caught MEANS something?
>>
>>44283420
No, only the 2nd >> was a you (OP here) and I just had it in a folder somewhere and needed a pic.

Literally 2 or 3 replies max on any other thread when I ask for advice/help on my 1i89 campaign. Use that pic, see thread: results.
>>
>>44284278
because that ass is so mad
>>
>>44284601
>>44284621
You friends now. Go have drink.
>>
>>44287213
I'm not his friend, guy!
>>
>>44287213
I would, but we can't since he's underaged.
>>
>>44288010
Oh shiiit
>>
>>44288010
Go be cockthirsty elsewhere
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.