[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has any one played Uncharted Worlds? it's apparently based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: unnamed.jpg (94 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
94 KB, 426x600
Has any one played Uncharted Worlds? it's apparently based on Apocalypse World which seems like a limiting system
>>
Bumping. I've been interested in this game as well, particularly the PDF, if anyone has it and is willing to share.
>>
Never heard of it. Sell me on it.
>>
>>44272489
Isn't PbtA a narrative system, so limiting should be the least of worries?
>>
>>44274819

Yeah, it's highly narrative and straightforward to homebrew for, so the only things I can think of that might lead him to call it "limiting" is either that he's big on complicated character builds or tactical wargame combat.

Bump for PDF, let me see this shit.
>>
>>44275041
>>44274819
apocalypse world has that weird 1 player per class thing and seems big on letting players manipulate each other which is something I dislike from games like VtM. My party only has one That Guy but if the rules are there I can see another popping up.
>>44273409
thats what I'm looking for bro I got burned on another popular cult hit that every one but me and 5/6 of my group hate so I have to try before I buy
>>
I've got a watermarked PDF if anyone knows how to remove watermarks.
>>
I've heard a lot of hubbub about these PbtA games, and since they're apparently narrative systems, I'm wondering, what would they offer over just using Fate?
>>
>>44276164
>I got burned on another popular cult hit

I'm curious, what game?
>>
>>44276192
They're a lot simpler. They focus more on characters and their progression. As well as players participating in worldbuilding.
>>
>>44276192
Why not just use D20 or GURPS? Or Tri-Star? Or Story teller? People have they're own preferences of the systesms they like.

Personally speaking I just like the fact that uses it good old classic fashion 2D6 system as opposed to insanity of a 4d3-8. As you presumedly like FATE you probably consider that to be a plus.
>>
>>44276397
Oh, I wasn't meaning to snipe at the system. I meant, I enjoy Fate, and since they're in the same general class of RPG, I was wondering if there might be a reason for me to try them over it.
>>
>>44276443
Okay okay fair enough. Is just ' why not just use systerm X' ticks me off bad.

Despite being both narrative games the only real similarity is the slew of re-skins of late.

FATE was built from the groud up to be a universal system. It's not really any different from the usual simulatist system other than the inclusion of aspects and Fate points. The gameplay is more traditional this there is a codified way for including stuff that isn't covered in the book on top of that.

Apocalypse is closer to collaborative fiction in my personal opinion. More of the rules impress upon the player to make up something on the spot within a board parameter.
>>
>>44276164
>apocalypse world has that weird 1 player per class thing and seems big on letting players manipulate each other which is something I dislike from games like VtM.

Well, that's just Apocalypse World's whole HBO drama vibe. Those rules are part of the classes rather than the system itself. Most PbtA games don't copy that.
>>
>>44276822
Alright, thanks for your time.

Though I don't think Fate was meant to be universal. If I recall correctly, it was originally designed for pulp games and then repurposed as a universal system.
>>
>>44276211
ORE, thought that it was shitty, at least in godlike. It was game stopping when players couldn't get a match on a climb check to get out of a pit. That was kinda the last straw, I wasn't gonna have them die for a failed climb check and I wasn't gonna just give them stairs. I didn't mention it because people either tell me wild talents fixes these problems (with out explaining how) or call me a dipshit.
>>44276822
coincidentally Diaspora was also on my list. I.D.K why but apocalypse world seems to have a better style and more substance, maybe it's just the books prose. I really like when a rule book reads like journalism rather than a text book. I am concerned about oversimplification of combat. like can you have a strong boss character or giant mutant thing that's harder to kill?
>>
>>44277894
>ORE, thought that it was shitty, at least in godlike. It was game stopping when players couldn't get a match on a climb check to get out of a pit.

Wut? I know Dungeon World does a amazing job spelling out concept like 'roll only when it's important' and 'fail forwards' but they are meant to be unspoken assumptions with most games. Dungeon world just codified it.

If the players fail a climb check you are supposed hand wave by saying it just took them longer and they loss some hit points or something. Not just say they're stuck in there.
>>
>>44278077
Unless there's a meaningful result from a failed climb roll you shouldn't even CALL for the roll in the first.
>>
>>44278534
Exactly. One Roll Engine I'm even say that.
>>
>>44276192

My impressions;

PbtA when done is more focused then fate, and requires less text. Properly pre-prepped Fate is probably superior to any PbtA. There are not many/any pre-prepped Fate products.

Fate is Gurps lite to the max.
>>
>>44277894
Well, for one you shouldn't have called for a roll there. Rolls are supposed to be for big dramatic events. Think the whole "climbing out of the prison sequence" in that Batman movie. For another, ORE supers games gives players so many options that simply climbing out with unsufficient skill seems odd. They didn't have a dude with super strength or flight who could just fly out of the pit and throw down a rope? Nobody with any sort of applicable super stat or super skill?

I fail to see how this is a complaint specifically for ORE. In D&D, odds are your average level 1 wizard will have a real fucking hard time climbing out of a pit on his own without some significant bonuses to his roll.
>>
File: Uncharted Worlds v0.83.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Uncharted Worlds v0.83.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44272489

I know it's not much, but here's an outdated version of the game.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.