[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elitist garbage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: fatinterviewer.jpg (132 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
fatinterviewer.jpg
132 KB, 620x387
>Oh, so you want to join my game? Hurr hurr hurr...
>Our group has a vetting process
>Here's a 20 page questionnaire to fill out
>Then we'll give you a quiz to gauge your knowledge of the rules and fluff
>We'll also have to do an interview
>Give us a role-playing resume during the interview
>Your character sheet is not your resume
>But we want you to bring your character sheet, too
>Then you have to contact each individual player and they have to give you the thumbs up
>But you're not in yet, you have to sit through a couple of sessions first
>You're not allowed to play, just watch us and see how we do things
>Also your character sheet will be passed around and will have to meet the approval of all the players
>>
It's a fucking social game full of fun and adventure, not a job interview for Manager of the engineering department.
>>
>>44270974
Where do you see yourself in three levels?
>>
>>44270862
Remember when games were about having fun? What happened?
>>
>>44270862
>What do you see as your weak point?
>Weak point doesn't mean dumpstat.
>>
>>44271026
Having FUN in a different group.
>>
>>44271026
Killing your NPC's and collecting artifacts for my imminent coup of your government.
>>
>>44271026
Doing your waifu.
>>
>"Now we already have a Rogue, Wizard and Paladin so you'll need to be a healing-centric Cleric if you want to play, and don't worry I already made you a character, you'll be given a full backstory and everything."
>>
>>44271081
I'd say it's the fact that I get sort of lost if I don't have a plot thread to go after.
>>
>LOL U WANNA PLAY OK UR IN THE GAME TRY AND SHOW UP IN AN HOUR AND YOU CAN BE IN THE GROUP

Yeah, fuck no.

If you are petitioning to join a group, they don't owe you shit. You really think that they should just take any random fucktard that insists on playing without an interview and without that person understanding how the group plays?

>Hurr but im not a idiot! Im a good player why cant they see that!

Oh? And what exactly sets you apart from the 100 other applicants every DM gets that makes you think you're instantly an obvious choice for any group looking to fill a player spot?
>>
>>44271283
Found the elitist
>>
>>44271355
What a witty and sharp retort.

Yeah, I screen my players so that I'm not wasting my time recruiting retards like you. And it works fucking wonders.
>>
File: 1414256643666.gif (651 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
1414256643666.gif
651 KB, 500x422
>>44271283
>the 100 other applicants every DM gets
>>
>>44271283
You were that random fucktard once. You were that awkward new guy that didn't really know the rules and was still getting used to these funky shaped dice. We were all there once man. Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical to put a new guy through all this bullshit? I mean, I know OP's example is an exaggeration, but I know for a fact that there's people out there who pull this kind of shit.

It's a game dude. A game of pretend. Don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>44270862
Why is this post?
>>
>>44270862
No one does this.
>>
They probably just didn't like you, but didn't want to say it directly
>>44271355
Well despite the post's obvious sarcasm if I had 100 other applicants I'd probably get a little snooty too. Or just, you know, stop telling people that I DM
>>
>>44271283
>And what exactly sets you apart from the 100 other applicants every DM gets

You don't need to roleplay, anon. You're living in a fantasy world.
>>
>>44271400
>Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical to put a new guy through all this bullshit?
Fucking no? Are you serious?

Do you really think "you were new once" is a reason to waste time coddling fucktards?

When I was new, I gave a fuck, and actually learned shit on my own. I sat through some shit DMs and then I started doing the job myself and I taught myself how to be better. I didn't cry and throw tantrums until someone was nice and did it for me.

>It's a game dude. A game of pretend. Don't take it too seriously.
You do realize that some people actually take their hobbies seriously, right? You know, because this is something that occupies a significant chunk of my time every week? And I don't want that time wasted with people like you?
>>
>>44271283
>without that person understanding how the group plays?

>Hey guys lets remind the newbie that standard procedure Rape then murder, not "let's talk it out".
>>
>>44271440
Wow you're being kind of snobby about this. Immediately disregarding your opinion on the basis of you being a asshat.

Though I do agree that basic screening is appropriate to find new players, but going through a 2 month long trial for every new applicant is just a waste of time on everyone's part.
>>
>>44271283
Is that you Virt?
>>
>>44271440
Goddamn, you are getting real mad about pretending to be an elf or a midget or some shit. The only one around here that's throwing a tantrum is you dude. Just chill out and give the newbies a chance man.
>>
>>44271489
>Immediately disregarding your opinion on the basis of you being a asshat.
Your life is a fantastic hugbox where people are only right if they're nice to you. I'm sure this represents reality and is not just you being a massive faggot.

>but going through a 2 month long trial for every new applicant is just a waste of time on everyone's part.
You and I both know OP is throwing a temper tantrum because he applied to a game and got rejected and now he's making a shitpost thread about how all DMs who screen players are this absurd hyperbole.

We all know the problem is OP, not the DM who gave a shit about making sure players who joined his game were the best players for that game.
>>
File: tom.jpg (10 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
10 KB, 255x200
>>44271283
>the 100 other applicants every DM gets
>>
>>44271528
Yeah. Call me a faggot all you want if it gives you some kind of satisfaction. But, you misinterpret the arguments of other anons. Nobody is saying you have to accept every edgelord/weaboo/furry faggot who applies. Just that your attitude is appalling for this conversation.
>>
>>44271574
>Nobody is saying you have to accept every edgelord/weaboo/furry faggot who applies.
That is literally what OP's post is about. That is the entirety of this thread's purpose.
>>
How many applicants *do* DMs generally get anyway? 6-8?
>>
File: this is a lie, BTW.jpg (24 KB, 424x462) Image search: [Google]
this is a lie, BTW.jpg
24 KB, 424x462
You call this elitist? My gaming group made me insult a store owner the GM was pissed at just to consider letting me in.

Also, I had to stop buying stuff for my Wood Elf Warhammer army to have enough money to pay the GM each month. It's pretty rough, but since my girlfriend made very clear I had to if I wanted to continue being her bf, I think I made the right choice. What I don't get is how she managed to have five levels more than the rest of the group and two racial templates. Well, she spends hours at the GM's house reading RPG books, so it's not that surprising. I'm just glad her Knight of the Endless Sun always find a way to save us.

Anyway, I have some time. Anyone want me to storytime some of our sessions?
>>
>>44271595
>How many applicants *do* DMs generally get anyway? 6-8?

For what? If I'm starting a game from scratch, easily 25-30, many more if I don't actually explain how I do things and what type of game I tend to run, since that makes the listing very wordy and lots of people just NOPE away if they see too many words.
>>
>>44271643
Oh you're talking about roll20. I was asking about real life games.
>>
File: snug smug.jpg (37 KB, 552x571) Image search: [Google]
snug smug.jpg
37 KB, 552x571
>>44271595
In Roll20 it depends on what system you're running, how long the post is up for, and your submission requirements.

I think I usually see between 5 and 15 with the game listing open for a week or two. It's pretty easy to vet people with a simple "Give me a character concept and a little backstory, also I won't suffer dickheads in my games, also make damn sure you have this set time slot open before applying." Open them all up, throw out all the ones that are clearly copypasted and the ones where they didn't read, throw out the blatant That Guys, throw out the poor character concepts, then you're left with a few players that sound good.

Going anywhere near OP's example is way too much trouble, even as someone who dedicates a large amount of time to the hobby.
>>
>>44270862
> Yes
> Okay
> No
> Sure
> No
> Fuck no
> Duh
> Duh
> Um, no.
> Fair enough
> Fuck no.
> Sure.
>>
>>44271595
I use a fairly unpopular system and I get 8-10.
>>
I kind of like this thread. It's like one or two guys having fun acting more elitist than any group would actually tolerate, and a bunch people who seem to take their posts seriously. It's comforting to know they're all posting less in other places
>>44271595
For groups that meet in person you might get the odd friend who wants to try it, but I think most are people who have known each other for a while
I don't know about online games, but they probably have a good deal more applicants since many people prefer to be players than GMs
>>
>>44271440
Can you Adopt a trip so I can filter you?
>>
Every DM I've ever had screened players. Once I became a DM I've gotten in the habit of doing it as well. It's usually to go over this shit:

Tone of the game (lighthearted and whimsical; gritty and serious, etc.)
What I'm looking for in a player (being a team-player, can they handle banter, mostly checking if there are any redflags if they're going to be an asshole about things)
What they look for in a DM and game (do they like plot-driven campaigns? Character-driven? Dungeon crawling? Are they okay with using voicechat because I hate text-only.)

If they seem pretty chill and willing to get along with others, I invite them aboard.
>>
>>44271668
>If they seem pretty chill and willing to get along with others

Every person on the planet will fit this description.

You need to explain how many of those people end up ruining the group once they actually get into a game. Because it's gonna be a lot of them.

I refuse to believe any DMs can operate on the "Yeah you seem ok, you're in" mentality. Why even bother pretending to screen people?
>>
>>44271639

Well, I don't have that much time, actually.

So, let's choose one of those four stories, I'll tell one, maybe two:

>Corporal Bugerson's Last Stand
>The Marriage of the Mouse
>Sex, Drugs, and Arena
>Loli and Leaky Plumbing
>>
>>44271595
I once posted on Gumtree (think Australia's version of Craigslist minus the smut) about wanting to start an IRL group of Lamentations of the Flame Princess (just said it was simplified DnD) and I got easily 50+ responses. This isn't even including the time I tried starting a RPG club at my uni, and got about 30 people turn up, of all only 2 (myself and a good friend who was just there to check it out) actually had GMing experience.

I'm not saying GMs deserve to be entitled cunts, but there is a definite demand for GMs.
>>
>>44271661
Last time I tried advertising a game for a fairly obscure system I got 3.... Two of which said they'd only join if I switched the system over to pathfinder. I kid you not.
>>
>>44271659
>Open them all up, throw out all the ones that are clearly copypasted and the ones where they didn't read, throw out the blatant That Guys

This. Fucking this. I posted on Roll20 once, stating I wanted team players, which day of the week I could run the game and that character creation would happen as a group once I assembled everybody.

I received so many messages of people wanting to player lone wolf characters who didn't care about the rest of the team or if I'd be willing to change the day of play to another day for reasons or my very favorite, character concepts and in-depth backstories (multiple paragraphs) for their characters despite me mentioning very clearly in bold text that character creation happens as a group.
>>
>>44271770
I know your pain. I've been looking for a while for a Hero System game on Roll20 and the only one thats open is for one-shots only, something I loathe.
>>
>>44271770
What shits.
>>
I screen players, but it's nowhere near the autismal level of the OP's hopefully strawman example.

>Put down how I plan to run the campaign
>what it will be about
>my expectations of the players (very standard stuff, don't be a dick, minimal fetish stuff, don't make intentionally disruptive characters)
>nobody under 18
>do you understand the above y/n?
>hand me a character sheet and we'll go from there
>>
>>44271749
>>Loli and Leaky Plumbing
it can't be helped
>>
>>44271770
That's dumb, but I want to know how dumb.
What was the original system?
>>
>>44270862
As a DM I am sorta sympathetic because I wanted a way to weed out people who are going to disappear after a week
>>
>>44271815
I've been DMing on Roll20 for about two years now, so I have huge amounts of experience throwing out shit applications.

Some of my instant rejections are:
>A character sheet or a post telling me what character you'll be playing despite the fact that I specifically said I don't want any character concepts before you have the game/setting information as a group.
>A one-line message saying something stupid like "im interested please let me join" and nothing else.
>Any messages containing extensive amounts of bad spelling and grammar.
>People asking questions about the time/date of the game even though it was already listed.
>People insisting the day/time be changed to fit their schedule
>Europeans and Australians insisting they can make it to American timezone games.
>People who ask me to teach them the game while they play.

And probably a dozen other things that trigger my "Yeah, fuck you" response.
>>
>>44271659
Sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>44270862
>My cherished legacy character of over 20 years of gaming is mocking your character while clearing the dungeon for you, what do you do?
>A) Thank him profusely and flatter him about his many grand adventures
>B) Be quiet and watch me be cool
>C) Get killed by him for a funny reason or because you made him mad

I tried to make this worse than real application/interview questions but I couldn't
>>
So, anyone wanna play a roll20 game with HERO system? I've got the hardcover books but never been able to use them since it's a less popular system.
>>
File: 1415228423647.png (2 MB, 1462x890) Image search: [Google]
1415228423647.png
2 MB, 1462x890
>>44271718

>Every person on the planet will fit this description.

Bullshit. I conduct my screening's via voice chat. Talking to someone for 10+ minutes and asking them questions has yet to fail me in rooting out shitheads who may have ruined one of my campaigns.

And I've definitely had cases where someone seemed chill in an email but once we began chit-chatting gave clear "FUCK THIS GUY" vibes.

>>44271965

>People who ask me to teach them the game while they play.

I ask my players up front when screening if they're familiar with the system we're using and I've discovered that most will be honest and straight up tell me "Not really dude, but the system seems fun and I promise to go through the PDF of the rules I've downloaded so I don't waste your time."
Then there's the guys who lie very convincingly that they know but when it comes to game-time, have to keep being reminded of simple rules. I've yet to be in a situation where I had to kick someone out of a game due to this because they usually get their shit together when they realize they're slowing down the game for everyone else and me. Come next session, they've gone over the PDF or made themselves a cheatsheet to remember shit with.
>>
>>44271965
>Australians meeting American times
That's actually not as hard as it sounds really?
Starting at 5pm? Cool, that's a 7am (if East) start for me no biggie
Starting at 9am? No probe, that's 11pm start for me, just means a late night; I'll nap before game.

It's really not that hard, people are just shits and won't change to play
>>
>>44271383
That wasn't a retort, simply a statement of fact.
>>
File: Prince_Bern.png (78 KB, 346x416) Image search: [Google]
Prince_Bern.png
78 KB, 346x416
>>44270862
As funny as this is I myself do practice a kind of soft elitism. I'm the secretary of an RPG club so everyone new talks to me at least once, I'm also pretty approachable and a bit less intimidating than the other GMs Jamie you are a scary motherfucker, James you're just a bit odd, love you both keep up the good work. add to that I've picked up a little bit of a reputation as a good newbie shepherd and well I'm in serious danger of drowning in applicants and shit.

I solve this by running systems that demand more from players yes the dreaded story games and making that very clear, add to this my history in improve theatre and my enthusiasm for getting players evolved and anyone who doesn't want to be there will generally bug out before the first session.

It's good to be Secretary, all hail the President and his eight man group Hahahahahah!!! Sorry John Hahahahahaha!!!.
>>
File: IbBwRCS.png (972 KB, 837x460) Image search: [Google]
IbBwRCS.png
972 KB, 837x460
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44270862
>"Oh, so you want to join my game? Okay, here's the system, the books we will be using, the kind of setting I want to run, and here's some short stories and movie trailers to show you the kinds of things I'm interested in."
>"I don't want to play that."
>"...Okay."
>>
>>44272141
>Starting at 5pm? Cool, that's a 7am (if East) start for me no biggie

Fun Fact: 100% of people who insist they will be awake at 7AM are lying.

They will insist and insist that they want to play and it's cool and they'll be there, and then they won't, and you'll just have to kick them out for wasting your time.

No, you can't play if you're fucking in Australia. Find a group in your own timezone and stop wasting my time.
>>
File: felon.jpg (76 KB, 719x405) Image search: [Google]
felon.jpg
76 KB, 719x405
You know what this thread reminds me?

The time this guy complained about his Black Crusade's players calling his PC "Skittles", only for all his group to show up and call him off on all the bullshit he pulled.

Many great quotes were made, that day
>>
>>44272237
But I have a group of Americans I play with, and that has yet to be a problem. 7am isn't that hard of a time to be awake for, that's like standard time for anyone who works. Hell most times I'm awake by 6 so I can shower and eat so I'm fully alert for the game

But you're right, fuck (most) Australians. This is why I need to outsource my gaming.
>>
>>44272262
>You're not a Chinese diplomat

I still dream about it and the side I lost.
>>
>>44272262

Threads were someone comes to /tg/ to complain about their group only for the rest of their group to show up and call them out their shit are easily my favorite.

PIGDOG in particular was amazing.
>>
File: diplomat.png (681 KB, 1536x513) Image search: [Google]
diplomat.png
681 KB, 1536x513
>>44272300
>>
File: 4c7.png (601 KB, 807x778) Image search: [Google]
4c7.png
601 KB, 807x778
>>44271190
>>
>>44272262
>>44272300
>>44272312

Are these stories archived anywhere?
>>
>>44272382

I found Skittles at http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/39949689/#39949689

Not sure if PIGDOG survived the big archive loss. Might be on sup/tg/, but I can't stand not having linked post chains.
>>
>>44272456
Thanks Anon!
>>
>>44271026
Fucking your characters wife
>>
File: screening process.jpg-original.jpg (337 KB, 1740x996) Image search: [Google]
screening process.jpg-original.jpg
337 KB, 1740x996
>>44270862
>>
>>44271283
>100 other applicants
Where the fuck do you live and how do I get there? I can barely find enough people for one party where I am.
>>
>>44273256
>>44273256
Stop being a fat, smelly fuck who only plays near other fat, smelly fucks.
>>
Actually happened to me:
>Joining a Mage Group through a mutual friend
>DM claimed to have an eidetic memory
>I show up
>an older lady the door but I claim to have the wrong address (as I was told he lived alone)
>I call my friend and he calls the DM
>5 minutes later a man dressed in all black comes out of the back of the house (hot topic goth)
>he calls me over
>we goto the back of the house and there's a huge shipping container with a sliding freight door on the side
>he slides it open and the light pierces the inky blackness of the container
>I swear I hear someone hiss
>there's 3 guys and a whale sitting around a circular coffee table (important)
>this 'room' is what I assume is his house, complete with fridge and bed
>each player has a hat on (this becomes very important later)
>this is weird but okay, I start to introduce myself
>everyone ignores me, I feel a little awkward
>the DM asks me to sit in the only chair left (I assumed that was his seat)
>He then starts to walk behind everyone talking about character actions and pick up before I interrupted the session
>he doesn't roll dice and he doesn't really acknowledge i even exist
>I find a pause in his monologue and ask if i'm waiting for my character to be introduced
>he says he'll get to me but I'm a Mage so it might be awhile
>This was a Mage game I thought?
>He informs me that it's a Vampire game; but it has Mages in it.
>I begin to see what's happening...
count.
>>
>>44271440
The point where you treat your hobby like a job is the point where you no longer have a hobby. Unless you're a total autist who has monomanias instead of hobbys, but... well, that's probably you.
>>
>>44270862
Not bad, but the faggots at my FLGS have more or less ruined x wing
>was initially casual
>Then a few (2-3) 40+ year old fat faggots decide to hold tournaments and hide the community playmatts and materials for the events.
>Made it so you couldn't enter the tourney without being part of the local league
> How do you sign up? sign ups are every 6 months
>Drove all the casual players out of the store
> The only people playing are old tryhard faggots who's sportsmanship is as poor as their hygiene.
>The thought of committing felony assault occurs to me every time I go in
>>
>>44271440
This is bait, no one can be this stupid
>>
>>44273316
At that point why did the management let them do that?
>>
>>44271659
Sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>44273280
>Fat, smelly fuck
I'm an underweight mysophobe, but thanks for playing.
>>
>>44273407
The owner is a 60 year old 40k fan, fairly good businessman but delegates sales duties to other people for specific material. Long story short, one of his employees are one of the tryhards and he probably assumes that having regulars and the a tournament space are a good thing
>>
>>44273280
Not everyone lives in New York.
>>
>>44273282
>So as he paces in a circle around the table watching people roll dice and mark damage I'm just sitting there
>So the whale takes off her hat (important) and asks me what kind of Mage I made
>I begin to tell her, thankful for the human interaction
>the DM then YELLS (actually YELLS) "HAT'S ON!"
>The whale slams her hat on her head like it would be death if she didn't
>I look noticeably freaked out as the DM then informs me...
>The hats are for when the players are "in character" so if they have their hats on they don't get to acknowledge anyone or anything outside the game.
>He then tells the whale that if she wanted to know who I was she should ask in character
>I tell him, how could she know who I was if I haven't been introduced
>He's noticeably getting a little angry, I don't think anyone has ever challenged his logic before
>He says "I'll get to it." and goes back to DMing
>As I said he kind of stalks the table, standing behind whoever is making a relevant action at any given time
>He takes rolling (for players) very seriously and if he can't see a dice be rolled it "never happened"
>So they're investigating a murder where the vampires believe a mage is involved
>it's important to note here that he never rolls dice, or really does much of anything other than stalk the party, he never consults books or references tables or his NPC sheets
>Standard Goth #2 rolls to charm the police officer at the scene of the crime, he gets some small amount of successes
>"It doesn't work."
>I ask "isn't that an opposed roll?" (I'm not familiar with vampire so the question was honestly innocent)
>The DM said this; and I'm not even pulling one over on you "I roll all my dice before each game and memorize the outcomes in the order in which I rolled them. I don't roll during the game as I feel it takes away from MY experience."
>I'm like....flabbergasted, speechless, and confounded
>he takes my silence as acceptance and continues
count
>>
>>44273510
>>The DM said this; and I'm not even pulling one over on you "I roll all my dice before each game and memorize the outcomes in the order in which I rolled them. I don't roll during the game as I feel it takes away from MY experience."
Okay what the fuck.
>>
>>44271440
Oh look, it's Virt aka Craig the Frustrated Comic Book Store Employee.

Report and Ignore.
>>
>>44273510
Damn
>>
>>44270862
I'll take "Things that didn't happen" for 400.
>>
File: f19.jpg (60 KB, 600x641) Image search: [Google]
f19.jpg
60 KB, 600x641
>>44273510
Holy shit, that group.
>>
>>44273510
>>The DM said this; and I'm not even pulling one over on you "I roll all my dice before each game and memorize the outcomes in the order in which I rolled them. I don't roll during the game as I feel it takes away from MY experience."
What the fuck.
>>
>>44273282
>>44273510

This is beginning to sound like the VtM version of the "Do you Catan?" story.
>>
>>44273510
>so time goes on and I'm just sitting on my phone texting my friend being like "Where the fuck did you find this guy"
>then I hear "Okay Mage you're turn."
>I look up to find everyone at the table staring at me
>the DM is walking over to loom behind me
>I ask what happened
>the party just found you at the scene of the crime
>Standard Goth #3 Is attacking you
>Me: "Don't we roll initiative?"
>DM: "You were on your cellphone so I let him go first."
>Me: "Okay I guess...."
>Mage and Vampire are VERY unbalanced. (in mages favor)
>After taking some small amount of aggravated damage I finally get to go
>I just want to talk and take no aggressive action.
>DM: "You can't do that."
>You mean I can't just talk to the other players
>DM: "They're all 100-300 years old, they don't understand Italian."
>ITALIAN? EXCUSE ME?!
>I then learn that my character is Italian, and from Italy, and speaks no English or common language with the rest of the party.
>So I'm like 999% upset
count.
>>
>>44273654
>DM: "They're all 100-300 years old, they don't understand Italian.
what
>>
>>44271283
>>44271440
King of the neckbeards.
>>
>>44272382
Here anon, have an album of screenshots. I still can't believe I played with this guy.

http://imgur.com/a/SS1Q2/embed
>>
File: 1448638235240.jpg (15 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1448638235240.jpg
15 KB, 500x333
>>44273282
>>44273510
>>44273654
what the fuck
>>
>>44273654
>Me: "I can only take aggressive actions?"
>DM: "Yes."
>Me: "Can I cast spells?" (aka are there any humans around)
>DM: "Yes you can cast spells."
>Me: "Okay, I guess I set everything on fire."
>DM: "Nothing in this room is flammable."
>Me: "Other than the fact that all clothing is flammable, that's not what I mean." I pull out my Mage book to show him the spell.
>DM: "I don't need to read the book, I have it all memorized, just tell me what spell you're casting."
>Me: "Force (4 Dots) Control Major Forces"
>DM: "Fine, Roll."
>I don't do get an overly great success, but I do succeed.
>DM: "You're spell fails."
>Me: "That's not how it works, it's not an opposed check, if I succeed it just happens. There's not a 'failure' rate here. Nothing can fail."
>DM: "I'm telling you it doesn't work."
>Me: "I'm telling you that's not how the rules work."
>I hit the sperg button
>The DM then goes on a literal 10 minute rant about how he's memorized every word, in every book ever published by WW and that he's run over 100 campaigns that every player thanked him for afterwards
>after his episode, I ask to leave (as I can't, at a glance, figure out how to operate this door)
>Whale: "You can't leave you're part of our game now!"
>I go full retard too
>Me: "Well you're all dead, and I'm dead, and probably anyone in the vicinity of this house is dead! To add to that I was just a kid from the Brox not some crazy Italian Murderer. Also the DM is full of shit, he's lying to you all and you're all too dumb to realize it. If he had an eidetic memory he would be in college not living out of garbage dumpster outside his moms house."
>Everyone is silent
>The DM looks like he's going to hit me
>I stand up, collect my things and figure out the latch to the door and open it
>DM: "If I wanted I could make millions and you'll just work at subway forever and i'll come find you a laugh."
>Me: "Whatever dude!"
>I leave and never look back
END
>>
>>44274090
>>I leave and never look back
>ENDPost a Reply
Anticlimactic.
>>
>>44274185
If I was more clever or making this up I'm sure I would have pulled some crazy shit. But this shit ACTUALLY happened to me.
I didn't believe people like this guy existed.
>>
>>44273464
>I'm not that kind of socially intolerable guy
>I'm an entirely different kind of socially intolerable guy
>>
File: 1441663732601.jpg (66 KB, 550x389) Image search: [Google]
1441663732601.jpg
66 KB, 550x389
>>44274090
>"You can't leave you're part of our game now!"
>>
>>44274090
>>Whale: "You can't leave you're part of our game now!"
Holy fuck that is both sad and horrifying.
>>
>>44274090
The option to tell that story is almost worth having to put up with that shit, anon.
>>
>>44274286
>bait but I'll bite anyways
All I do is go shaved-headed, shower twice a day, and wear gloves. I'm not some kind of social cripple, I have a life and shit. "Mild eccentricity" isn't the same as "obnoxious neckbear".
>>
>>44273612
One of the signs of autism is taking obvious exaggeration literally.
>>
>>44274416
Do you have a mental breakdown whenever somebody doesn't use a coaster? Because I've had to play with "neckbears" like that before. And it wasn't even his house.
>>
>>44274575
Nope, I got CBT and meds for that. Its amazing how mental illnesses can be managed when you actually get help for them.
>>
>>44274636
It's also easier when it's an actual mental illness and not just being a social cripple

try and tell the parents of today that the answer to the bent nail is to beat it into shape and you're a monster somehow
>>
While OP is probably a butthurt faggot who got rejected from a game for not accepting his special snowflake magical realm character,

I do agree that good games start with a reasonable vetting process.
>>
>>44271065
>>44271026
>>44270974
>>44270862

None of this actually happens.
>>
>>44274552
>I was only pretending to be an asshole.
>>
>>44273282
>>44273510
>>44273654

>there's 3 guys and a whale sitting around a circular coffee table (important)

When exactly did this become important? did i miss something?
>>
>>44270862
>Do we have an open slot?
Sure, we'll let you play until you leave or get kicked.

>Are there four players already?
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
As a GM this is what I actually do:
>Are you willing to sit through a ten minute explanation of the setting/campaign in terms of tone and expectations?
>Yes
>Good, we'll see if what you want out of this is the same as what we want.

>Also, send over your character sheet before the first game along with a small explanation of your back story. You can ask me questions when forming your back story. Both your build and the story are subject to approval, but generally things will be allowed except for things listed in the "ban list" text file I gave you.

>Lastly we're going to have a trial session where you play with us. After that everyone will give me "concerns" in case they think they don't want to play with you. I'll bring these to your attention if I think they're bad, and you can go for another trial session and try and correct them or leave if you wish. No hard feelings either way.

>Also, we all put in 7$ for food each week, a list of your dietary restrictions/preferences would be great.
>>
>>44270862
I work in an LGS in Florida and we had a GM pull this shit + requesting a down payment for a seat at his table. He even tried charging onlookers. The Owner banned the faggot from the store.
>>
>>44276956
Which city?
Jville here
>>
>>44271283
>Can I be in your game?
sure
>Can I be in your game?
Yeah, should be fun
Hey bro, want to play D&D
>Sure
Cool
>Can I be in your game?
No
>Can I be in your game?
Sure
>Can I invite my brother?
Yeah
and that's the story of how I ended up with my 5th edition d20 modern group.
>>
>>44276988
St Lucie
>>
File: 1400192163992.jpg (115 KB, 1160x612) Image search: [Google]
1400192163992.jpg
115 KB, 1160x612
>>44270862
>>
>>44277092
Holy shit this is cancerous.
>>
>>44270862
>Check the LFG listings on R20
>GM so passive aggressive about his hatred of min maxing
>Ask small question
>Massive passive agression and implied implications in his reply
>Check out his party
>They are all Min maxed munchkins
And this is why that group always loses a member every couple of weeks
>>
>>44276739
because the Dm ran around in a circular fashion around the circular table.
>>
>>44277092
>things that aren't real
>>
File: Rimshot.jpg (19 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
Rimshot.jpg
19 KB, 500x367
>>44271026
>Where do you see yourself in three levels?
A horrifying elevator accident.
>>
>>44277092

No edgehogging could be a good thing to put in a roleplaying guide though.
>>
>>44277171
Gotta be honest, if you're doing a horror campaign that's a pretty good trick.
>>
>>44270862

I don't think that's elitist. I do think that's idiotic.
>>
File: 1422148162931.jpg (78 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
1422148162931.jpg
78 KB, 636x636
>>44271440
>>
File: 1448381863636.jpg (172 KB, 650x456) Image search: [Google]
1448381863636.jpg
172 KB, 650x456
>>44271659
Sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>44270862
These are all reasonable expectations to filter casuals and people who can't adjust to established norms.
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44271508
>>44273564
Who are you guys referring to? I'm just asking cause there's a chance it's some kind of rpg fiction worth consuming or something
>>
>>44277495
Oh, my. Whatever would we do without your hard-nosed skepticism to guide us to the truth.
>>
>>44270862
This shit. I actually thought it was some joke or something that never really happened in real life.
>never played TTRPG before
>told by a friend who does MTG that the games by james he goes to has a board full of posters advertising games
>go up to james
>look for something i even recognize
>after 30 seconds see one for beginner game of DnD 3.5
>call the number
>guy seems nice enough
>says he's got 3 others willing to jump in
>session is tomorrow meetup at james head out to his house
>get to his house
>walks me over and sits me down at some kitchen table
>4 guys sitting opposite
>shove a pen and about 7 double sided page questionnaire at me
>100 questions alot of them lengthy and requiring short written answers
>choice ones are: what is your favorite color, how emotional are you, what is your political background, do you play female characters, do you bathe
>ask whats this for
>tells me its to weed out bad apples
>says to take my time cause if i want to join the group they want to know exactly what they're in for
>kind of page through it to see what exactly it says
>theres an actual contract on the back of page 7
>reasonable shit mostly but wants me to put down a $100 security deposit before each session
>by the time i actually read through it 3 others show up
>they're the actual newbies and the other 3 guys are just members of the group to vote on and score me and the new guys
>tell them i don't think this is for me
>would be dm and one of the group members get real pissy about me not wanting to go through their process
>just pack up my things and leave getting heckled the entire way out
>as i'm getting in my car see the other 3 newbies rushing out and the dm shouting for/at them
>>
>>44278054
Other experience before i heard about roll20 was me showing up to james and being asked basic questions in the backroom
>what kind of schedule do you have
>are you friendly or passive
>do you shout
Reasonable things for a face to face game
>what kind of characters do you play
Was the one we got stuck on. Wouldn't accept "i don't know." As an answer. Just kept asking it in different ways till my final answer was "i don't know. I've never played, I thought the point was i could be whatever i imagine." Guy just sighed and asked me to leave. It could be me but everytime i've tried face to face i just meet the worst kind of people or the experience just goes downhill quick for one reason or another.
>>
>>44274028
>he keeps referring to himself as a sociopath

Ah, this takes me back.
>>
>>44278078
>what kind of characters do you play
Seems like an odd question to demand of someone that's never played before.
>>
>>44274028
Fun fact: I played with this guy on TWO of his other skype accounts. I still have his contact details and everything.
>>
I have a questionnaire for groups I'd like to join. Not so much a written one but I do ask a series of questions before wanting to play.

1. Is your game serious business or can I joke around a bit?

2. Do you think having an effective character and roleplaying are mutually exclusive?

3. Do you nerf fighters, monks and rogues because "muh realism" but let casters do whatever?

4. What are the house rules? What supplements are allowed? Do you recognize you have house rules? (That last one comes up a lot in d20 games, so many people who play d20 games have tons of house rules and have no clue).
>>
>>44272237
100% of people you've spoken to clearly aren't shift workers
either that or you're making up 70% of your statistics on the spot
>>
File: MHImnNd.jpg (29 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
MHImnNd.jpg
29 KB, 514x536
>>44277092
>>
>>44278054
>>reasonable shit mostly but wants me to put down a $100 security deposit before each session
Yeah, that's a deal breaker
>>
>>44277092
I have a mighty desire to join this club and slap the shit out of all of them. The autistic rage would be hilarious. Oh, if only.
>>
>>44279299
I would love to join there group, get full membership then just do everything wrong. If they call me out, I'll just keep playing. If they pause or anything like that, I'll just tell them "turn the fucking game back on or I'll cave your head in you shit". Being 6'4" and 100kg will make this glorious.
>>
File: 1428080418401.jpg (40 KB, 332x421) Image search: [Google]
1428080418401.jpg
40 KB, 332x421
>tfw i have a permanent group of cool people and don't have to deal with all this bullshit
>>
>>44271595

I've got a pool of IRL players that number around the 15-30 at any given time
>>
>>44272237
>100% of people who insist they will be awake at 7AM are lying

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, it'd make getting into work very difficult.
>>
>>44273316
OK I understand Star Wars is one of those franchises that attracts the more ... 'enthusiastic' fans who don't do the social cues so good, but of all the games to go super cereal tourneyfag over, why X-Wing? It's casual as fuck and is supposed to be.
>>
>>44278669
>so many people who play d20 games have tons of house rules and have no clue

The big giveaway is ask them what happens if you're rolling intimidate or bluff and get a natural 20.
>>
>>44277733
rip moe
>>
File: Here I go.jpg (683 KB, 2552x3278) Image search: [Google]
Here I go.jpg
683 KB, 2552x3278
>>44272262
I remember that thread.
It was a good friend.
>>
>>44277812

virtualoptim. A guy with a very peculiar way of ineffectualy trying to troll the board. I've heard he got banned, though.
>>
>>44271440
Shane?
>>
>>44279978
Also didn't he have a history on reddit?
>>
>>44278078
>Was the one we got stuck on. Wouldn't accept "i don't know." As an answer. Just kept asking it in different ways till my final answer was "i don't know. I've never played, I thought the point was i could be whatever i imagine." Guy just sighed and asked me to leave. It could be me but everytime i've tried face to face i just meet the worst kind of people or the experience just goes downhill quick for one reason or another.

Sorry but I would have rejected you too. Your inability to answer the question shows you are either going to be undecided about every single thing that happens or you're a slow individual who can't think on his feet very well. You could have at least made up some shit or told him about a character based off your favorite movie or book that you'd like to try out.

Stick with your card games, they sound more your speed.
>>
File: image.png (111 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
image.png
111 KB, 600x476
>>44279908
>florist
Every fucking time.
>>
>>44271195
If this happened and it turned out be some waifish healslut, I'd roll with it.
>>
My group has a simple vetting process:

I pastebin the conversation I have with the new guy about the game and just general shit to the group. And we all laugh at the cringe inducing shit they just spouted, before considering if they'd fit out friend cricle. Then, if they seem alright we haze them in a group call some.

If you can't handle the banter, you can't stay.
>>
>"This GM had standards and kicked me! Isn't he a total shithead?"

I never understand the purpose of these threads. They serve as nothing but little campfires for foreverplayers to dance around, prancing and yelping as they curse the foreverGM deities that reign from the heavens.

Literally nobody who has been put in a position where he has to pick quality people out of the teeming hordes of shitters would object to the notion of filtering your players.

Easy example: I run voice games. If I have a prospective player, I expect him to be able to demonstrate the quality of his mic to me. What do you expect me to do, take a random stranger's word for it that YE MAN MUH MIC B GUD, and then just waste his time and my own when game time comes and he's spewing garbled jibberish over his 12 dollar USB mic?

No. Fuck off. Standards are not a bad thing.
>>
>>44280267
You only talk to people who spout cringe inducing stuff?
>>
>>44280275
I don't think you quite understand the thread then if you think its saying standards are bad.
>>
>>44280275
>he's spewing garbled jibberish over his 12 dollar USB mic?

Hey man, 12 dollar USB mics are fine. The ones that sound like talking through a cup of foamy shit are the free ones that come with Xbox and stuff like that.
>>
>>44280303

What exactly is the thread "about" then? Explain it to me as if I were a small child.

>"Well you see, having EXCESSIVE standards is bad!"

Wow Anon you're such a genius, but if I may halt you from collecting your next Nobel Prize for a moment, might you entertain the possibility that OP is exaggerating due to inherent biases, outright attempts at manipulation, or both?
>>
>>44270862
>I'm angry that I'm too fucking autistic to join a game of D&D
Seriously though OP great post
>>
>>44280346
The possibility of the OP exaggerating does not stop the thread being about excessive standards.
I agree that having some standards is good and I don't quite get why you have gone off they way you have,
>>
>>44280390
Anon is angry he can't find other nerds that are awkward enough they can only play online, but also well adjusted enough they can use voice.
>>
File: florist.jpg (41 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
florist.jpg
41 KB, 500x340
>>44280234
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44271528
>I have no empathy therefore you should expect none.
>I was bullied as a child so I'm now a dickhead.
>>
File: every thread.gif (56 KB, 810x800) Image search: [Google]
every thread.gif
56 KB, 810x800
>>44280390
>I don't quite get why you have gone off they way you have

Because parading around strawmen and acting as if you're discussing a topic is intellectual masturbation.
>>
>>44280051
>>44279978
Anyone got the thread where one of his friends shared stories of his intense sphagettI?
>>
File: 1448593754223.jpg (331 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
1448593754223.jpg
331 KB, 517x768
>>44271283
>Be me
>Run 5e campaign
>Have optimized group of minmaxed archetypes for everything but DPS
>Searching through applications for fifth
> #287
> Rogue
>Pleb put a point into WIS
>Not even a halfling
> Answered "If you were accepted what would your main goal be in this group?" with "To have fun and learn."
Mfw
>>
>>44280570
Not that guy, but automatically assuming every GM is some maligned saint is just as bad.
And fuck off if you think that's a strawman too, because the mental gymnastics retards, who think they're being the devils advocate, pull in every fucking thread it crops up in is nothing short of staggering.
>>
>>44271400
Don't flatter him, he still is a fucktard.
>>
>>44280283
Nah, it's just pretty common that people involved with tabletop games will be pretty cringey at first.
>>
>>44280610
>Not that guy, but automatically assuming every GM is some maligned saint is just as bad.

Literally no one has done this.

You're being retarded again.
>>
>>44280574
It's on suptg.
>>
>>44280625
The mere fact that you made the image says otherwise.
>>
>>44280636

>OP's story
>Not a literal example of that comic in action
>Rebutting X means you're saying Y

No, that's not how it works, no matter how much you'd like it to.
>>
>>44280651
>OP's story
so why is the filename labeled every thread?
May want to think before you post next time.
>>
>>44280660

>Shifting the goalposts

Nice.

One example of many, because that is literally how every one of these types of threads works.
>>
>>44280145
I had never played before. Any of it rpg or cards. I had no idea what would be acceptable without knowing the party i was joining. If i made some generic fighter who wanted one last chance at glory before he got to long in the teeth to truly enjoy it and brought it to a wacky campaign for first timers i would have felt like shit being the downer of the group.
>>
>>44278260
I think he was aiming for
>do you play kender
>do you play magical realm
>do you play chaotic asshat
didn't seem to be able to understand i had no idea cause i had no idea what the games entailed. I didn't know if making a character who's one goal was to train a dragon so i could reenact 80's fantasy metal scenes was far fetched or not. Not actual character i had planned at the time but its a good example of how little i knew.
>>
>when your GM ask for references
>when you GM wants to talk to other people who have been your GM before you can play
i think this is around where the line is
>>
>>44280520
I was thinking exactly this too. Also that this would describe fully half of /tg/.
>>
Why is /tg/ so full of no-fun autists and social rejects?
>>
>>44274028
>Munchhausensyndrome.jpg
>>
>>44274636
How does cock and ball torture help?
>>
>>44281659
You'd be surprised
>>
>>44270862
>>Our group has a vetting process
Okay.
>>Here's a 20 page questionnaire to fill out
Not okay.
>>Then we'll give you a quiz to gauge your knowledge of the rules and fluff
Depends on how it's done.
>>We'll also have to do an interview
One on one interview is fine.
>>Give us a role-playing resume during the interview
No.
>>Your character sheet is not your resume
No.
>>But we want you to bring your character sheet, too
THIS IS IMPORTANT.
>>Then you have to contact each individual player and they have to give you the thumbs up
EH.
>>But you're not in yet, you have to sit through a couple of sessions first
No-
>>You're not allowed to play, just watch us and see how we do things
No.
>>Also your character sheet will be passed around and will have to meet the approval of all the players
YES, this is actually a good idea.
>>
>>44280767
>I had no idea what would be acceptable without knowing the party i was joining.

So why didn't you say that?

You didn't say it because you're slow witted and can't express yourself properly, which are related issues that are entirely reasonable reasons to dismiss you as a prospective player.

Absolutely nothing is a worse sign to a GM than a player who lacks initiative and communication skills. For god sakes, you couldn't even explain what kind of characters you would like to play, what you could get excited about, which I am quite certain is one of the variations he'd have asked you after you told him you haven't played before.

Sorry m8 but you gotta step it up.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
>>44271283
>>
>>44271283
hahahahaha this fucking guy
>>
>>44281775
Remember what it was like to be a new player for but a moment. Now imagine that the GM told you to fuck off for not being sure what character you wanted to play without knowing anything about the setting or game.

The Golden Rule, my man.
>>
>>44271440
that's bait.
>>
>>44271595
In my circle of friends there are at least 5-6 who want to roleplay, and we have 1 other guy who GMs.
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>44272237
are you retarded?

I had no problem keeping up with stuff in murricah or my native europe when I was in Japan.
>>
>>44281807
>Remember what it was like to be a new player for but a moment.

I don't see how lacking basic communication skills is relevant to lacking knowledge on the rule sets comprised of various pen and paper games.

You thought one thing and said another. That is a mark of poor communication skills.
>>
>>44271383
pretty tough talk there, big guy. how do you even have friends, let alone players, when you act like that? i bet it's this dude and like two of his buddies on roll20 playing freeform magical girl or pony content chasing off normies that happen upon their internet circlejerk.

here's a freebie, sport: nobody wants to enter your magical realm.
>>
File: 1427226087295.png (9 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1427226087295.png
9 KB, 500x500
>>44281865
Not the samefag as the indecisivefag.

Language is dependent upon knowledge. If the player doesn't know shit about the game being played then of course he isn't going to have any fucking idea what to play. I wasn't there, of course, so I don't know if monsieur indecisive was being a faggot or not.

I just want you to consider not being such a faggot to people who are new.
>>
>>44279319
>hate retards
>want to behave worse than retards

America, never change.
>>
>>44280346
one of these days you'll understand why you have a hard time getting along with people.
>>
>>44272147
Aberdeen University?
>>
>>44274416
NECKBEAR.
>>
>>44280625
my friend, you just got rekt by >>44280610
>>
>>44281891
>I just want you to consider not being such a faggot to people who are new.

I don't rightly see why I should need to talk to you as if you were a retard and coax answers out of you that you are too dumb to express, and paint over those obvious warning signs with "Oh, he's new."

If the concern was that what he'd want to play would depend on the setting and what the other players were playing, he should've said that. Not "I dunno" and expected me to read his mind.
>>
>>44271383
do you know what a retort is?

maybe it's time to return to reddit.
>>
>>44276571
>being this naive
>>
File: 208781.jpg (44 KB, 614x307) Image search: [Google]
208781.jpg
44 KB, 614x307
>>44281924
Neither of us were there for that interview, but he just says that the guy asked him what "kind of characters do you play", which he would have no response to as someone who never played before.

How about you stop projecting your own retardation onto others by assuming that indecisivefag was as autistic as you are.
>>
>>44281965
>Neither of us were there for that interview

Are you genuinely so stupid you cannot imagine a situation where the question was rephrased to account for the fact that indecisivefag had not played a game before?

I'm serious. For a person who is so eager to throw out insults, I'm having trouble grasping that you legitimately thought the point of "Oh, I never played before, so I haven't actually played any characters" before would not have come up.

Indecisivefag even specifically said that the GM tried to ask the same question in "different ways" to try to coax a useful answer out of him, lending credence to this assumption.

I have no idea where you got the idea that basic communication skills are relevant to how new you are to pen and paper games, but you are quite wrong, and in a hobby with other players that wholly revolves around communication, vetoing players who are not good at it is completely reasonable.
>>
>>44271395
When I advertised for Exalted 3e, only on /tg/'s Game Finder thread, I got 25 people.

>>44271428
When I advertised for D&D 5e, on the Game Finder thread and Roll20's LFG I got 35-40 people.

There is a massive glut of players for every DM. Why would I settle for the first 4 or 5 to respond when for a little extra effort I can screen applicants and get, at the very least, players who are willing to put in the effort.
>>
>>44271659
Sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44281659
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. Its a kind of psychological therapy used for depression or anxiety-based issues, like mysophobia.
>>
>>44281913
Strathclyde.
>>
>>44271659
Sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>44272104

>Then there's the guys who lie very convincingly that they know but when it comes to game-time, have to keep being reminded of simple rules

I'm that guy. Not because I'm lying, but because I'm shit at memorization through books. I learn best via doing, because attaching an action to something is the only way I can equate it to reality.

Yes, I am autistic, why do you ask
>>
>>44276834
I do everything except the last one, because we meet online so donating food money would be an issue.
>>
File: WhatIsItThatYouDoHere.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WhatIsItThatYouDoHere.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>44270862
>>Our group has a vetting process
100% okay.
>>Here's a 20 page questionnaire to fill out
If there is more than 5 questions per page you can keep it.
>>Then we'll give you a quiz to gauge your knowledge of the rules and fluff
A quiz could be a fun way to gauge how much you'll have show me the ropes.
>>We'll also have to do an interview
Doesn't everyone?
>>Give us a role-playing resume during the interview
A what now? Wait, you're serious?
>>Your character sheet is not your resume
I figured.I would think you would call that a, you know, character sheet.
You aren't that smart, are you?
>>But we want you to bring your character sheet, too
Make a character before you tell me about the campaign? Okay, if you say so.
>>Then you have to contact each individual player and they have to give you the thumbs up
Are they okay with receiving calls at 3am?
>>But you're not in yet, you have to sit through a couple of sessions first
I'm not in, yet I'm playing.
So, I'm probationary?
Do I get a badge once I get "in"?
>>You're not allowed to play, just watch us and see how we do things
pfftt-Hahahahahahahaha!
>>Also your character sheet will be passed around and will have to meet the approval of all the players
-hahahahahaha!
Wait, I didn't hear what you said, I was to busy laughing at that last nonsense.
hehehe
I like you, you're funny.
I'll see your house for the game, I'll be larping a barbarian kender.
>>
>>44279978
If it was so unsuccessful, why did he generate so much raw salt, and why was his ban universally celebrated instead of every anon shrugging and going on with their lives?

Seriously, Virt was a huge pile of stupid and spaghetti, but he knew how to troll /tg/. Still not as bad as Jim Profit. though.
>>
>>44270862
The best part is that these elitest tryhards only attract others like themselves and no one has fun. The entire exercise is just a pissing contest to see who can be "the best" at a cooperative game.

The biggest problem is that the traits that make someone a creative player tend to make them successful in other parts of life so they have only minimal amount of time to play. This type of DM will almost never understand this as a prerequisite for being a DM is having lots of time free on a regular basis which correlates very highly with having little going on in your life.
>>
>>44282768
>I'm that guy.

I don't suppose you would consider playing and sticking to games that are easier to learn and memorize? Not trying to be insulting.
>>
>>44270862
>meet an acquaintance the join his game
>DM is middle aged, has all the books
>does combat with mini figures and 3D table sets
>tells me I can only use core books since I don't own any but the DM manual
>even though he's got all the books
>helps me set a character up since what I brought couldn't be used
>stalls their game and makes it not even worth it I tried to join
>go home disappointed, never go back
>never talk to acquaintance again
>>
>>44283330
>Being this smug about not being a DM
>>
>>44270862
>Here's a 20 page questionnaire to fill out
>Thanks! Not what I'm looking for, hope you find someone!
>Oh it's fine, have a nice day anon!
>>
>>44270862

Not exactly related to the thread, but problems with elite and elitist players.

>Be in wargaming group
>Mostly just friendly, "casual" games, or as casual as any wargame with an 100 + page long rulebook gets
>New guy joins our group
>Turns out he's been playing since 8 years old (his dad was a former WC), is an absolute monster at the table, and plays like this killing machine.
>Rips us all new ones
>With what is really the best of intentions, starts dispensing strategic and tactical advice, trying to pull us up to his level
>Eventually semi-leaves the group, comes every so often to play if there's a vacancy that week, but he won't sit down to a major power or play regularly.
>Never said explicitly, but it was pretty obvious that one of the reasons was that we couldn't keep up with him.

And maybe it's just nostalgiafag goggles on, but I almost don't like what he did to our group. We try a lot fewer in the way of different options and playstyles, it's gotten much more competitive, more cutthroat. We all play better in an objective fashion, but I'm not so much sure we're having more fun: he changed things, and there isn't a way to change them back.
>>
>>44284567
The other part of the equation that you eventually have to admit to yourself that you are playing a shit game with shit rules and leaves itself wide open to the corruption of the guy you just described. I know it sucks to look at it that way after all the time and money you sunk into all the models you have, but there it is. You will be better off if you seriously think this over like a mature individual, and realize that while your entire group may have a passionate love affair with the fluff, art, and presentation of the gaming universe, the rules dictating table play are shit, shit, SHIT!
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44270862
>>44270974
Does this shit actually happen? Wow, so glad I'm not a nerdfag
>>
>>44284978
Yes but not to the extent that OP presented
>>
>>44282035
>complains Anon is eager to throw out insults
>Literally has an insult in every post
Holy fuck it's amazing.
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44284867

It's a hex and chit game, actually, and one that has won several design awards, like the Charles S Roberts award for 20th century wargaming.

There really wasn't any "corruption", it was just being outplayed. He taught us how to squeeze more out of action limits, especially, but also why you need to fight in North Africa even though there are no resources and factories there: How much you have to leave behind against a Western Counterstroke when you're attacking in Russia, or the flip side, how much to leave behind against the Soviets if your'e trying a more western strategy. What things are better builds for better strategies, and when to get an artillery battery and when to get a ground attack wing, stuff like that.

I'm just curious, what on earth makes you think a game must be shit if someone can be a much better player than other people in it, and said better player taught weaker players to play more like himself?
>>
>>44272237
I've played with americans before, was among the few ones in the group not to miss a day, if I remember well.
I kind of miss the game though, It ended up slowing down and then dying, even though it was so fucking good.
>>
>>44279494
I guess because its cheap
>>
Maybe I should start doing that, friends of friends that come and start sleeping or leave earlier than them prompting everyone to leave because they don't have a ride sucks.
>>
>>44271659

Aww, looks so comfy.

sleep smug, snug.
>>
>>44286463

WAIT NO FFFFFF--
>>
>>44284567
> former WC

Wrestling Champ?
>>
Never had a "entry policy" on our group. If you wanna play, you are in. If I GM most of the time I do), there's only one rule: if you fuck the game or ruin everybody's fun being what you call that guy or disrespect another player, you are out and you would never be invited again. I understand a shitty day. But I have zero tolerance to assholes. Seen too many games ruined.
>>
>>44281895
The only way to fight fire is with aryan-thermite-napalm-phosphorus.
>>
>all these idiots in this thread that have all the answers yet can't keep a base group together
>>
>>44271659
sleep snug, smug

>>44270862
This has never happened to me and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else. I want to believe it doesn't exist, but I know better.
>>
File: Naoto.jpg (114 KB, 1155x840) Image search: [Google]
Naoto.jpg
114 KB, 1155x840
>>44271283
>what exactly sets you apart from the 100 other applicants every DM gets
>>
>>44271026

"In your chair. Cause frankly, from what limited exposure I've had to you, you sound like a crap GM. Alternatively, with another group. Actually to be honest, I'm really only here tonight cause I wanted to get out and have some fun."
>>
>anon starts a game and is looking for players on /tg/
>already has a couple players who are friends from previous games
>decides to post in a game finder thread on /tg/
>only needs 2 or 3 but figures, "fuck it, don't want to play with That Guy, so let's talk with however many people respond and then pick whoever seems like the best fit"
>gets 7 or 8 people that say the game sounds interesting
>one of them is OP, who acts like a huge asshole
>is told he probably isn't a good fit for the group
>there was no resume
>there was no formal interview
>just a conversation and anon deciding OP isn't someone he wants to hang out with
>OP throws a tantrum in the form of this thread
I'm like 80% sure this is actually what happened.
>>
>>44271939

I have masdive problems with flakes. I dont care if you need time off for IRL or anything, but its so bad I've implentmented a 3 strike policy.
>>
>>44292664
That sounds annoying to deal with.
>>
>>44291746
This.
>Hey want to jump on skype and chat a bit, see if you'll fit in?
>what makes you think I won't fit in? I always fit in!
>I just want to ask you a bit about yourself, your previous RPG experience, that sort of think.
>lol is this a job interview?
>No, but me and the other players want to make sure you're the right person for the game. Oh and I nearly forgot, you won't be able to play the first session or so, the party is in an underground tomb that's been sealed for centuries and it doesn't really make sense to have some guy just be wandering around down there.
Queue OP's immediate need to show that guy by making a scathing anonymous post on a Nepalese ironing board.
>>
>>44282040

Exalted is one of those games absolutely no one wants to GM, but everyone wants to play.

Even in 3e.
>>
>>44285028

>Ignore any points given
>"He said a mean word so I don't have to respond to them!"

Shouldn't you be on some gaiaonline registered forum circle jerk or something?
>>
>>44271965

European who used to play an American game here, usually the first guy to show up, others usually came an way later than the appointed time(I made sure that I had the right time zone with the GM) had a sleeping schedule that allowed for it at the time.

But yes, I did have to bow out eventually due to scheduling conflicts.
>>
>>44295393
>But yes, I did have to bow out eventually due to scheduling conflicts.
>eventually
>By which he probably means 3 weeks into the game

So you realize why you're an instant rejection for American games, right?
>>
>>44286535
Who is champ?
>>
>>44295624

More like 3 or so months.

The other players regularly arriving late ended up pushing the games to a later time.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.