[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was his crime, /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 15
File: Thenamelessone.jpg (19 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
Thenamelessone.jpg
19 KB, 320x299
What was his crime, /tg/?
>>
>>44262587
He updated too many journals

falsifying documents
>>
>>44262587
http://everything2.com/title/The+Doctor+is+the+Nameless+One+from+Planescape%253A+Torment
>>
Asking for shitty version of immortality after learning that he would be a larva in afterlife due to being neutral evil, instead of stoping being neutral evil.
>>
>>44262654
He actually wanted the immortality so he could stop being evil as you say, though.
>>
>>44262587
Nobody knows, but I think it's implied somewhere that it both started the Blood War and is causing the planes to slowly die.
>>
>>44262685
Wouldn't the Lady of Pain do something to fix the situation?
>>
>>44262587
No coasters
>>
>>44262708

Did you try reading a basic description of the Lady of Pain before suggesting that?
>>
>>44262737
She protects the Sigil. TNO went there. His existence is a blight on the the multiverse.

I figured she would have killed him to fix everything.
>>
>>44262708
Nobody knows what the fuck the Lady of Pain wants. Either she can't fix it - which is, frighteningly enough, pretty likely given just how FUCKED UP the crime is implied to be - or she doesn't care. We just don't know.
>>
>>44262587
Being a main character in a Chris Avellone CRPG.
>>
>>44262685
>started the Blood War
But that's stupid. Law and Chaos have always been in conflict.
>>
>>44262753
Killing TNO does absolutely nothing by that point. The deed's already done. That's the thing fucking up everything, not TNO himself.
>>
>>44262681
Evil people are stuck in evil mindset. The idea that you can simply stop being evil just by stoping being evil didn't even occur to him. Like a true sociopath, he understood "goodness" as somehting to be conquered, not something achieved simply by changing his ways.
>>
>>44262753
I still don't see what killing him would accomplish. In fact, he was one of the people trying to fix things.

Also none of that crap was about Sigil in the first place, and Sigil is all she cares about.
>>
>>44262771
Except the point wasn't that he was evil as some kind of fact, but the massive amount of evil he caused in the past. The way to redeem yourself is to actually fix what you did wrong.

Just "stop being evil lol" isn't enough. In fact, that seems like the sort of thing an evil person would come up with.
>>
>>44262771
Wrong. The First Incarnate literally spent his entirety of the rest of his life trying to repent for what he had done, but the crime was so heinous that a lifetime of good deeds wasn't enough. That's why he wanted to become immortal. The amnesia thing wasn't part of the plan.
Sure, he was a coward and didn't want to end up in the NE hell, but when you speak to him ingame is pretty obvious he truly regrets what he did.
>>
File: That really updated my journal.jpg (69 KB, 448x419) Image search: [Google]
That really updated my journal.jpg
69 KB, 448x419
>>44262587
It is up to you what he did, just like it is up to you to decide what was his name.

>>44262594
>He updated too many journals
Updated my journal.
>>
>>44262587
He keeps forgetting the plot.
>>
>>44262905
>Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
>>
>>44262791
>>44262802
He was performing good works not to right wrongs but to save his own ass.
>>
>>44262951

Both, actually.
>>
>>44262951
There is no real difference, and it's up to interpretation anyway. If he managed to do more good than he did wrong, it would have worked.
>>
I think it wasn't just the original crime, it was everything he did afterwards that compounded it. He sought to escape his evil by doing something worse, and in so doing accidentally turned himself into a being that destroyed lives just by existing. Even when an incarnation tried to do good it caused torment on a grand scale in the long term. The completely evil bastard incarnations more directly worsened the situation.

The 'good' incarnation had thousands upon thousands of lifetimes to understand the full ramifications of what he had done. He believes that regret can change the nature of a man, because not only was it regret that made him seek out Ravel in the first place but also because every day since then has made things so much worse.

I don't know enough about D&D morality to say how mercy and justice interact. I'd have thought if he made a real effort and did everything he could to repent and change change you would think there would be a being merciful enough to intervene on his behalf somewhere that he could find, especially if he's got the will, skill and power to track down a Night Hag and get her to give him what he wants.
>>
>>44262587
I was under the impression that his initial crime was something minor, like selling your soul to devils for material gain.
He was just scared shitless of actually paying the price so he went and fucked up everything.
>>
>>44262951
I believe he was doing it for both those reasons.
But whatever his motivations for his good deeds were, even if they were completely and selflessly genuine, he STILL would've landed in NE hell. His crime was, ultimately, too great for anyone to possibly repent for.
This is made quite clear by the way the last incarnate is still sent down to the wastes - embracing it without cowardice, mind you - even if he's good-aligned.
>>
>>44263078

No. It's stated (somewhere) in the game that whatever he did was so wrong that the planes are still reeling from the blow.

>>44263046
>I don't know enough about D&D morality to say how mercy and justice interact.

"Mercy is a shield used by the weak!"
>>
>>44263143
Valinor please go you only show up in the last 1/4 of the game.
>>
>>44262587
pineapple on pizza
>>
>>44263232
?
I don't see the evil in that. I always order half Hawaii half pepperoni pizza
>>
>>44263245
He didn't JUST put pineapple on pizza. He actually invented the CONCEPT of putting pineapple on pizza, and thus spawned a monster that the universe is still reeling from.
>>
>>44263268
>>44263232
Pineapple on pizza is fine as long as it's a sweet pizza in general. It's just a pastry basically.
>>
>>44263286
you are part of the problem.
>>
>>44263293
It's not a problem though, delicious pastries are a boon to the world. I think you just hate other people enjoying themselves.
>>
>>44263286
Go home, TNO, nobody likes your invention.
>>
>>44263309
If nobody liked it then you wouldn't know about it :^)
>>
>>44263327
There's plenty of people who like AIDS, I'm sure.
>>
>>44263286
pineapple, pepperoni, and anchovies.
am i doing it right?
>>
>>44263332
Keep your disgusting and destructive fetishes out of this.
>>
Well, to put it into perspective, the reason the Nameless One cannot take up the Cleric class is stated in the manual for the game. It says that all of the gods have forsaken him. Now, in Planescape there are tons of evil gods a body can worship. Gods like Lolth, Cyric, Tiamat, and so on don't mind murderers, rapists, thieves, tyrants, and all other sorts of degenerates, so even if the good gods reject you, there are still other gods that will be perfectly fine with accepting your faith. Yet, they're all just as silent to your prayers as the gods of Good. That implies two possibilities: 1. They're jealous that a mere mortal did something more evil than any of them ever will (and believe me, the shit gods like Lolth and Grummsh do is pretty vile) or 2. You did something so inherently wrong to the universe that it even horrifies the gods of evil.
>>
>>44263337
Don't judge me, AIDS pizza is the best pizza.
>>
>>44263245
Of course not, anon. No-one ever sees themselves as evil.
>>
>>44263344
so, pineapple on pizza.

told you.
>>
>>44263352
I think you'd need to pour fresh infected blood over it after it was already baked for it to count as AIDS pizza. So that's pretty disgusting anon.
>>
>>44263368
It's fine as long as you also have some steak with tomato sauce on the side. The tomato sauce is important for the entire meal to count as pizza btw.
>>
>>44263372
I SAID DON'T JUDGE ME!
>>
So basically TNO was one of those gays who spread AIDS on purpose, except he did it with pizza.
>>
>>44263428
I think just the pineapple thing. Any worse than that and the Lady of Pain would've stuck him in 17 nested flaming torture mazes
>>
>>44263456
So you're saying the pinapple thing is perfectly fine in and of itself? I think AIDS is kind of crucial here anon. Unless you want to call the steak a vegetable because it's covered in ketchup, I still haven't considered that properly.
>>
>>44263468
No, I mean the pineapple thing is horrific enough that it's the worst he could've done without getting nested torture mazes
>>
>>44263480
Yes, which means it's perfectly fine. Try to keep up here.
>>
>>44263268
Hawaiian Pizza is delicious, though.
This is the exact opposite of a crime.
>>
>>44262587

He is implied to be Cain
>>
>>44263576
How could he be Cain? Planescape doesn't use judeo-christian mythology. Abel and Cain don't exist in its universe.
>>
>>44263576
>He is implied to be Cain
You need to back that up, son.
>>
>>44263576
Nah, "just an immortal lunatic who thinks he's Cain".
>>
>>44262768
The Blood War wasn't always being fought.
>>
>>44263650
How could he think he's something he's never heard of?
>>
File: Taxi.png (939 KB, 1046x627) Image search: [Google]
Taxi.png
939 KB, 1046x627
>>44263626
>>44263642
>>44263657

It's a V:TM Bloodlines joke you dense nerds
>>
>>44263535
the fact you can even think that is a testament to just how blasphemous and unforgivable a crime TNO committed.
>>
TNO was a sort of Cain.
>>
>>44263671
I know about the taxi driver being Cain and then retconned into not being Cain or whatever, but I still don't see how this joke is supposed to work.

What, they both have black hair?

I don't get it.
>>
File: pining for apples.png (63 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
pining for apples.png
63 KB, 500x375
>>44263677
Clearly his real crime was using a pineapple in such a deplorable manner that people have an irrational hatred of the fruit for reasons no one living or dead can remember.
>>
>>44263695
Except nobody other than one weirdo actually hates pineapples. That's not much of a crime.
>>
>>44263711
in /ck/ putting a pineapple and some ham on pizza is roughly as evil as not using a coaster.
>>
File: 1406147545311.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1406147545311.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
On a distant, forgotten material plane, he invented something called the internet.
>>
>>44263691
>RPG characters
>mysterious past
>horrible crime
>immortality as a curse
>generally hated by god(s)
>regretful(?)

Though the proper VTM:B equivalent would be the "friend" who sends you the emails. I think that one isn't supposed to have any answer, just like TNO's crime.
>>
>>44263722
The Nameless One is Al Gore?
>>
>>44263739
His crimes cannot be forgiven.
>>
>>44263720
So... perfectly fine?
>>
>>44262653
I never played planescape torment or watched dr who, why is my mind getting blown nonetheless?
>>
>>44263732
>I think that one isn't supposed to have any answer

The chess theme of the emails suggest it might have been Strauss.
>>
>>44263732
>>RPG characters
This is true, but one of them is a main character while the other is an irrelevant background character.

I don't think both of them appearing in a RPG is enough to draw conclusions.

>>mysterious past
Only applies to TNO. We don't know shit about the taxi driver except for his random ramblings about nothing.

If this is enough to draw parallels then you can draw parallels with about half of the people who have ever been drunk for example.

>>horrible crime
Except Cain just murdered his brother, which is a symbolic crime. While TNO did something that concretely screwed up the entire world.

You could find people in jails all over the world who have more in common with TNO than Cain by this logic.

>>immortality as a curse
Okay, this one is pretty close. Though TNO's immortality is very different to Cain's, they both are curses. Sort of. TNO wanted his to redeem himself, so it's questionable.

However in and of itself it's not really enough.

>>generally hated by god(s)
Unknown for either of them.

>>regretful(?)
Unknown for Cain, variable for TNO since he keeps changing personality. No.
>>
>>44263772
>not using a coaster
>perfectly fine
this is a crime punishable by eternal damnation
>>
>>44263806
It could be Strauss, Jack, the Cabbie, Grout...

But there's no definitive answer, unlike the cab driver's nature which was definitely intended by Troika. The "friend" is just there to give you the feeling that you're being monitored and that there's always someone pulling the strings from behind.

>>44263820
You really are dense, you know that?
>>
>>44263831
Damnation? Not really. Banishment is more realistic. Banishment from the home of someone who's autistic about coasters to be precise.
>>
File: 25051.jpg (250 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
25051.jpg
250 KB, 1024x768
>>44263831
Sounds good.
It's even got the grandest reload animation in the history of ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNuXLu-LrVg
>>
File: HEY GUYS.jpg (18 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
HEY GUYS.jpg
18 KB, 432x413
He ate all the cookies and didn't save any for the others.

that aside
I bought this game, but had a hell of a time getting into it. Mostly because I was extremely bad at it.
>>
>>44263722
So he caused the downfall of mankind

What a dick
>>
>>44263653
It's still just an aspect of a fundamental conflict, and it's mainly fought between Evils. No reason for Good gods to be pissed about it, since it keeps the baddies busy with each other.
>>
>>44263858
Might I suggest you git gud?
>>
He invented alignment.

He was a philosopher, back in the ancient depths of time. He mapped the various forms of ethics and philosophies, and decreed what Good was compared to good; and the depths of Evil. He shaped the outer plane into many, fashioned them into a great wheel of morality, constantly turning. He determined the fundamental power of alignment, enabling spells based on it.

He was pleased about it, until someone mentioned that, as he'd created the lower planes as places to punish those he deemed evil, surely he'd condemned the multiverse to a terrible fate. Wouldn't that be worthy of ending up in his own Hells?

Also, he created alignment debates, and falling paladins. The fucker.
>>
>>44263941
This in a world where alignment is actually the driving force behind everything? That would make him the creator deity.
>>
>>44263891
While it's true it keeps demons and devils from overrunning good, it's still the reason that they took interest in corrupting mortals to begin with, to have them as cannon fodder. Whatever the case, the Blood War was one of the results of TNO's crime, not the crime itself. The crime was much, much more, and that's what the gods are pissed about.
>>
>>44263232
Worse. Durian on pizza.
>>
He likes skub unironically.
>>
>>44263976
No, but he dates from the time when the creator deities were around. Aspects of the world serpent such as Io and Sekhinester. Vastly powerful gods, with no good or evil, because they didn't exist as concepts.

After all, we know that parts of the outlands shift, falling into the outer planes when they become too tainted by that alignment. What if the planes themselves were given rise by this?
>>
>>44264238
So you're saying the outer planes existing as separate places from the outlands is the actual crime? I don't really see it, it's not like people can't comfortably live on the planes or whatever.
>>
>>44263344
Or 3. He lived so many times he moved through enough religions for the gods to be fed up with him dying and switching to other gods, because he forgot the previous ones.
>>
>>44264310
When we take into account that there are realms in Outlands that are controlled by the Gods that are far from True Neutral alignment, he actually may be onto something...
>>
>>44264526
So you're saying that gods being capable of alignment change is the crime? Or that forcing gods to get a new house every now and then is the crime?
>>
>>44262708
>>44262737
>>44262753

Are we all ignoring the fact that he's immortal? The Lady of Pain can't kill him. Nothing can. Even when you piss her off in the game, all she does is turn you into ground meat and the game ends because of that, not because you actually fixed the shit in question.
>>
>>44262951
>He was performing good works not to right wrongs but to save his own ass.

Depends on the incarnation, furfag.
>>
>>44264588
>Lady of Pain
>Not able to kill something just because they're immortal
>>
>>44264588
How is that relevant? There's still no reason for her to want to do anything. If she really hated him so much she could bar him entry into Sigil or something. Or keep him ground meat all the time, not just some of the time. Or anything.
>>
>>44262685
>Nobody knows, but I think it's implied somewhere that it both started the Blood War and is causing the planes to slowly die.

Either I missed something in one of my by now countless playthroughs, or you just made that up. I don't remember anything like that.

The only thing I remember even suggesting that is the fact that every time he dies, someone else has to take his place, and dies too, and that he's become a focal point of torment because of that, drawing the tormented to himself like moths to a flame.

It's why all of his companions are fucking broken.
>>
>>44264588
>all she does is turn you into ground meat and the game ends because of that
Does it mean he's still alive?
>>
>>44264638
It's relevant because turning him to ground meat does nothing. Nothing. He'd still be alive and he'd still continue to be an issue.

Assuming he's an issue.

And assuming that the Lady of Pain has any idea of this going on.

And assuming that she knows he's the cause of it.

And assuming that she'd get involved, which, knowing the Lady of Pain, she has no interest in.

For all we know she's a robe full of squirrels holding a metal head.
>>
>>44264676
>He'd still be alive
Yes...
>and he'd still continue to be an issue
...no.
>>
>>44264676
He's not an issue, his crime is an issue.

She knows what's going on

She knows he's the cause of it

But she doesn't give a single fuck, because even if the rest of the multiverse crumbled to dust she would be able to keep Sigil around
>>
>>44264654
>Does it mean he's still alive?

Yes. You seriously thought that The Transcendent One never tried turning his most hated nemesis, the bane of his literal existence, into minced meat, or burn him? The Nameless One would be a meat-ooze, but he'd still be a hole, shit would still die (possibly en-masse) due to him, and he'd still pull torment towards him like a multiversal lens of grief.
>>
>>44264563
He turned the universe against itself. He declared what was good, and what was evil, and the concepts spread. He declared that law and chaos should be opposed, creating the seeds of the blood war.
He's the fucker who made it possible for Chaotic Neutral PCs who justify everything with their alignment to exist.
The planes are separate, fighting against each other, until everything falls apart.

Also, his immortality created the undead shadows. Even his solutions just bring on more fucking problems.
>>
>>44264740
Then you're back to him just being the creator deity.
>>
>>44264740
>He turned the universe against itself.

I think something like this is actually stated somewhere, or something along those lines...

>He declared what was good, and what was evil, and the concepts spread. He declared that law and chaos should be opposed, creating the seeds of the blood war.

..so I actually really fucking like this interpretation, other than the fact that it seems to make the timespans infinite, while the story being told doesn't seem to stretch back THAT far.

Hundreds of years, maybe, thousands, possibly, but near-infinity? Not feeling it.

That said, very small tweaks could've made that feel completely reasonable, if the game had been a little bit bigger, with a little bit more plane-hopping.
>>
Maybe he was just a huge asshole?
>>
>>44264715
The Transcendent One doesn't want to kill him though! That's the opposite of what he wants, since he'd die.

He wants the Nameless One to live, just unable to do anything. A prisoner of his flesh, unable to move. That's why he plans on killing you so much that you become nothing more than a drooling vegetable.
>>
>>44264818
Well nobody doubts that.
>>
>>44264823
You know what would do that? Turning him into minced meat. Which he probably did on multiple occasions.

Let me put it another way; in his countless incarnations, do you not think that The Nameless One ever fell into a figurative blender? Got eaten by a dragon? Digested by something nasty? Fell into a literal furnace? Or any variations thereof.

He must've had enormously powerful enemies at several points that would've enjoyed killing him, if they could, in a permanent fashion. He was even fucking around Limbo for a while.
>>
File: 91.jpg (21 KB, 300x249) Image search: [Google]
91.jpg
21 KB, 300x249
he a gud boy
he dindu nuffin
we need more updates fo' dem journals
>>
>>44262587
He invented furry porn
>>
>>44264875
The Transcendent One believed that after enough deaths the Nameless One would simply respawn with no mental faculties at all. Which is something that would have actually happened, though I believe the Practical Incarnation took steps to stop it, which also resulted in The Nameless One keeping his memories between deaths.
>>
>>44264875
>Ignus being described as one of the few beings that are actually capable of permanently killing you
>Furnace is Mortuary being one of the places that The Nameless One considered to being capable of permanently destroying him
>Practical Incarnation believing that Vhailor's ability to become stronger in face of Injustice, and his axe (that deals Fire damage) is able to permanently kill him, which is the reason he locked him under Curst instead of killing him
Yes, I am pretty sure that there are ways of permanently killing The Nameless One, and Lady of Pain also should be able to do that.
>>
>>44263576
I always assumed he was Adam. Let's look at the (admittedly circumstantial) evidence.
>He introduces himself to others as "Adahn", which is very close to the name
>After introducing himself as such a certain amount of times, it actually calls forth a man with that name into existence, who will be perfectly happy to continue existing so long as you don't admit to being the one who created him
>TNO committed a sin so grievous and awful that it permanently changed the multiverse and is causing it to die a slow, painful death (until the 3.0 update to D&D came along THIS IS CANON BY THE WAY, READ "Die Vecna Die!")
>It's implied that this sin, as one of the many aftereffects, kickstarted the Blood War, AKA the war between Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil
>Not just between Good and Evil, but explicitly along the Law/Chaos line, meaning that he most likely broke a cosmic law and split the two in half

Therefore, my theory is that TNO is Adam, of the Biblical instance, whose sin was "giving humanity free will". Obviously it doesn't work out when you get into the nitty-gritty of the theory, but it's something to think about.
>>
>>44262708
She aint doing shit to shit outside Sigil.
>>
>>44265496
Nah, that was Walt Disney.
>>
>>44262685
>it both started the Blood War and is causing the planes to slowly die.

But when he was mortal he signed a contract to fight in the Blood War...
>>
>>44262587
Hes the one that put to sleep or started the waking process of whatever is sleeping that Azmodan is scared shitless of.
>>
File: planescape_truth.png (53 KB, 756x716) Image search: [Google]
planescape_truth.png
53 KB, 756x716
>>44262594
>>
>>44264588

Several things can kill Nameless.

There's a dagger shaped like the symbol of Torment.
A random lich archmage in the merchant quarter.
The Lady almost certainly could - if she actually cared that much, which she doesn't. Leaving a puddle of ground meat is far more punishing.
Ignus could - it's noted if you threaten him that his fires could unmake even you.
>>
>>44266867
The Lady actually DOES if you repeat that little stunt with the doll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGEfdCj9bU
>>
>>44262587
He didn't use a coaster.
>>
>>44266802
>whatever is sleeping that Azmodan is scared shitless of.
Never heard of that, can you elaborate/share the source?
>>
>>44266024
The Lady is perfectly able to.

Piss her off twice, and good-bye TNO...
>>
>>44264875
>You know what would do that? Turning him into minced meat. Which he probably did on multiple occasions.

Actually no, you can be exploded or killed in the game, it's just rare and generally involves pissing off some fairly immense power - most things in the setting will only kill you to the point where you "die" and your health regen kicks in - the bigger threat to TNO's long term existence is either getting "stuck" like if you take up the mantle of the Silent King in the catacombs or losing the thread that allows him to find the TTO again (which is implied to happen as the TNO continues along the main quest - the PC is literally the last incarnation that can do this journey because the TTO has been killing anyone in his path)
>>
File: mista.jpg (70 KB, 338x500) Image search: [Google]
mista.jpg
70 KB, 338x500
>>44263344
>>44264444
>>
>>44268460
Given that first guy had double dubs, and I had quads, it must mean that I am likely correct?
>>
his crime was time and it's...EIGHTEEN AND LIFE TO GOOOOO
>>
>>44263720
At least it's not corn.
>>
>>44262587
Being The Hulk's son?
>>
>>44262587
The writer never had any particular crime in mind, just like there is no actual explanation for what the Lady of Pain actually is. That's the saving grace of it: too many superlative mysteries end up being completely anti-climatic when explained, while a mystery can be as engaging as the observer's mind is capable of making it. Since the natures of the crime and LoP aren't important, there is no reason to define them, and as they're undefined, it improves the experience.
>>
>>44270434

Indeed.

>“Let’s read another story,” he began. “A young man signed a deal with me, long ago-this contract you see before you now. We came to his world to gain new recruits for our Blood War armies. The folk of his pitiable village were of poor stock, but all we really wanted were warm bodies, convenient targets to distract the tanar’ri. He was quite amusing, organizing the resistance. And, of course, I knew from the moment I saw the fire in his eyes that I had to break him. When the sacrificial fool offered to buy the town’s safety with his own servitude, well.. it was a plot twist more perfect than any I could have written. The righteous man’s fall was a demoralizing blow to the village. The sight of their leader brought low shattered the spirit of his people far more painfully than a mere tour of duty on the Lower Planes ever could.” The fiend uncrooked three of his long fingers. “Three guesses who that man was. The first two don’t count.”
>Thane remembered everything now. His village had been unable to repel the invading baatezu. He’d agreed to fight in the Blood War if the fiends spared the others. The deal was deliverable at his death, and he’d scoured his world for a means of forestalling that end. A wizard had sent him to the planes in search of a way to trick the baatezu, to wriggle out of the damnable contract. He’d thought he’d finally succeeded when Ravel Puzzlewell took away his mortality. He hadn’t counted on the trauma of death and rebirth wiping clean his past, on his misguided need to discover what he was missing, to find the truth of existence. He’d freed himself from the fiend’s clothes and walked right back into them again.
>>
>>44270578
Let me guess: the Planescape: Torment book, based on original draft?
>>
File: PST_sigil.jpg (733 KB, 2400x1436) Image search: [Google]
PST_sigil.jpg
733 KB, 2400x1436
We know that "Good" incarnation is the original incarnation, and he says the crimes of the other incarnations are but a drop in the ocean of his sins.

Now, Practical incarnation and Paranoid incarnation are both evil bastards in their own ways, not to mention what harm countless other incarnations might have caused. This means Good did something really, cosmically fucked up.

I think there are two explanations supported by the in-game lore. One is that Good was a mighty (but still mortal) commander for one side in the Blood War. This would explain why he knew about Ravel and the Pillar of Skulls; he had spent a lot of time fighting and living in the lower planes. It is also supported by the flashback you have when you beat Dolora at chess, and by the ending cut-scene. If TNOs fall into evil began with the Blood War, it is thematic for the Planescape setting if it comes full circle and that is his punishment.

The other explanation is that his greatest crime was actually his pact with Ravel that granted him immortality, at the cost of becoming a life-stealing hole in the universe.
>>
>>44270434
Indeed, same thing is with his true name. Knowing what it actually wouldn't be that satisfying.
>>
>>44266867
Vhailor can kill you too; he becomes stronger the greater the crimes of his target... and TNO has a lot of blood on his hands.

>>44270763
When read that part "...you finally remember your name, and that simple knowledge is a greater comfort than you have ever known..." after opening the brass sphere I thought of my own name. It was pretty intense.
>>
File: 8ybsXVz[1].png (23 KB, 659x356) Image search: [Google]
8ybsXVz[1].png
23 KB, 659x356
>>
>>44268324
>Actually no
>followed by complete agreeance

Wut?
>>
>>44263720
Hawaiian pizza is top fucking notch.
What plebs.
>>
>>44262993
There's no "going through the motions" when it comes to the nature of the soul
>>
>>44262587
He caused entropy and death to be a thing
>>
>>44262587
He started Blood War.
>>
>>44269957
Underrated post
>>
>>44263739
He also lied about global warming.
>>
>>44270975

Based Avellone
>>
>>44271379
He wanted to do good though. Whether or not a real change of heart is enough to erase his crimes is debatable, but he wasn't just going through the motions. His willingness to take the risk of Ravel's pact shows that. He was ready to give up everything for a second chance. That it failed as spectacularly as it did is a cruel irony.
>>
>>44266362
>Die Vecna Die!
Ah yes. I had nearly forgotten that Vecna reshaping the universe is why 3e was caster edition.
>>
Maybe he created entropy. I could see the universe being pissed about that.
>>
>>44263855
>coaster
>autistic

not using them is just having utter disregard for somebodies property and depending on table and drink also completely ruining something just because you can't be arsed to take a second to aim your glass.

Also what is wrong with sweet pizzas ? I would think that putting salmon on top would be worse crime.
>>
Did Morte really trick you and fuck everything up to begin it all?
>>
File: journal updated.jpg (9 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
journal updated.jpg
9 KB, 232x217
>>44262941
>>>44262905
>>Updated my journal.
>Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
>>
>>44275131
Things were fucked way, way before that, but he certainly didn't help.

I don't think he did it on purpose though. Morte strikes me as the kind of person who tells lies because he wants them to be true very badly. I would say he did his best to make up for what he did. I doubt it would be possible for TNO to defeat TTO without Morte there to help all the incarnations along the way.
>>
>>44263046
All the gods cursed him, so no mercy whatsoever.
>>
>>44268460
>not using the one that's 444x444 px
>>
>>44275301
No, I'm still here anon :^)
>>
>>44262587
He shitposted on /tg/
>>
>>44262951

So he was a politician?

Wait -no, he actually did things instead of just talking about them.
>>
>>44263720
i have a glass table, your move mother fucker.
>>
I like to think that, somehow, he was Gith.
>>
Whatever his crime was, it was so terrible that the multiverse is still in shock from it, and no god, not even the most evil of evil ones, will take him as a follower.

That's how fucking evil it was. He could live a hundred lifetimes of sainthood (and might have, among his many incarnations), and it still wouldn't even begin to repay the debt for what he did.

Beyond that, there's just a lot of speculation and no real knowledge of what it was.
>>
>>44266867
>A random lich archmage in the merchant quarter.
Is there a reason given as to why the archmage can do that? I don't think I've ever run into that NPC.
>>
Left the toilet seat up
>>
>>44278125
i killed my exgf's bird doing that
>>
>>44278056

He's an extremely old and powerful necromancer, who collects lives.

If he hadn't settled down in Sigil, he'd be probably be a peer to someone like Szass Tam.
>>
>>44278779
Sigil is pretty much where you go to retire when you're too powerful for any other D&D campaign setting.
>>
>>44279219
Considering it's a prime destination for inter dimensional travelers that seems very fitting actually.
>>
>>44270998
If you would read the post it refers to, the person who brought minced meat first, claimed that TNO would survive that.
>>
>>44277898
>Gith
>Female
>First leader of Githyanki
For real?
>>
>>44275267
>>>44262941
>>>>44262905
>>>Updated my journal.
>>Updated my journal.
>Updated my journal.
Updated my journal
>>
>>44279883
I think he means Zerthimon.
>>
File: MR A 4 blog.png (56 KB, 475x921) Image search: [Google]
MR A 4 blog.png
56 KB, 475x921
>>44263046
>I don't know enough about D&D morality to say how mercy and justice interact.

D&D is objectionist. Showing mercy is to an evil creature is worse than killing evil white human babies and a mockery of justice.
>>
>>44279981
Likely that's what he meant, but still doubtful, as Gith-species are not exactly human, and likely ceased to be humanoid enough during the Illithid slavery, not after the rebellion.
>>
>>44280124
>I've never read the BoED
Alternatively
>Nothing personnel... Kid...
>>
>>44280549
Book of Exalted Deeds is arguably one of the most retarded books published in 3.5.
Mostly because it completely misses the original point of the alignment system, in favor of "muh pacifism"
>>
>>44263855

I know you feel very edgy right now, but really you've just betrayed yourself as somebody too young to own furniture. (Or perhaps, too poor to own NICE furniture.)
>>
>>44263858
I'm glad you picked that super retarded monkey image so I don't have to go to the trouble of calling you retarded. How can you be bad at a game that literally won't let you die?
>>
>>44280582
Book of Exalted Deeds was more horrifying than Book of Vile Darkness.
>Put an evil person in magical crystal, when he leaves it, he's Good aligned.
Terrifying.
>>
>>44277838
>that obnoxious clinking sound whenever you set anything down on a glass surface

You're damned right I'd use a coaster on that shit, some nice cork ones to dampen the noise.
And a tablecloth.
>>
>>44279883
Yeah, for real. She created a race of genocidal slavers, which are still haunting the planes. She was last seen descending into the Lower Planes. The Githyanki are all convinced that somehow she's still alive.
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.