[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Army Carrying Cases
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
Sup /tg/. I'm starting a 2500 points Sons of Horus force after Christmas, and I'm just wondering how you lot protect and transport your armies, other than buying the GW carrying cases. I've seen people using big ass toolboxes full of foam, but I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Thoughts?
>>
So it's not quite what you asked for, but I have one of those GW carrying cases, and they're actually really nice.
>>
>>44235714
This.
Best case for the money. Unless you're using a lot of bigger models.
>>
>>44234089

I make my own cases from plano boxes and foam I order off the net.
>>
Why are you wasting hundreds of dollars on pieces of plastic that require another couple hundred dollars worth of plastic to play properly?
>>
cases are surprisingly expensive.

GW cases are a decent price (a real shocker) and are very good at housing lots of infantry models without many fiddly bits. Very few manufacturers sell hard cases, so if you like hard cases you don't have much choice. The bigger GW cases can hold tanks decently well, but you won't fit large walkers or MCs in there without some surgery.

The old GW cases were excellent at holding space marines (maybe also boyz & guard) but nothing else. They were also really large for how much they actually held.

Many manufacturers make pluck foam cases. I don't like pluck foam at all. YMMV

Some manufacturers set custom laser cut trays. These will obviously fit and protect your models better than anything else but you pay an enormous premium for that.

Chessex makes some small cases. Might be usable for kill teams, but in general too small.
>>
>>44235818
>why do you spend money on anything other than food/bills
Fuck off NEET
>>
I just stuff my hundreds of orks into trashbags and plastic bags I get from grocery shopping.

I don't get why people spend so much money on this garbage.
A lot of people that seem to think their toys are made of gold or something, and whine and scream when you bump into their models.

Seriously, try just stuffing your shit into bags, or some sort of box or container.
You'll be surprised how secure and safe they are, in fact I don't see why people think carrying their things around needs to have so much protection.

Other than that, when I'm using even more models or for some reason need bigger storage, I have a couple of old buckets, I just throw a towel on the bottom and fill it up. I use my other bucket for carrying my 500 pack of dice I got in bulk.

I've been doing this since I picked out 16 boyz from my LGS' random discount garbage bin and I've never really damaged anything.
>>
>>44236725
do you work for games workshop?
>yes goyim, buy our leftover foam at a 500% markup because we told you so. you aren't poor are you?
>>
>>44236845
the sentimental value far exceeds the monetary value

they toys are very valuable to me so I want to protect them. You might not think they are valuable, but they are not your toys.
>>
>>44236845

>Calls expensive plastic garbage
>Cares enough to store them
>Uses plastic bags and buckets
>Claims everything is a-okay

Anon, if you don't like people who play with minis, just say so. You'll look far less retarded than trying to run that story by us.
>>
Fishing tackle boxes at wal mart work fine and are cheap.
>>
homemade anything works just fine desu, just use lots of soft foam and put it in a box.
>>
>>44234089
If your a little handy you can make something like this for relatively cheap. I made one a couple years ago and love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48x8Sb9ER78
>>
>>44235813
How much do you pay for a tray? In other words, can you describe your full expense and process. You solution looks very interesting.
>>
>>44235724
Yeah I used them for my necrons

The flyers are the only issue
>>
>>44234089

Battle Foam.

>>44235818

Because I'm not poor. If you waste hundreds of dollars on stupid delicate plastic toys why would you not spend a fraction of that to protect them. This is like buying $1 brushes instead of sable.
>>
>>44236845

People don't even carry anything other than TRASH in trashbags you dumb poorfag. When was the last time you saw some nigger walking around stuffing shit in trash bags that wasn't

- a janitor or someone cleaning up after a party and putting ACTUAL TRASH in it
- putting worthless shit like socks or other junk in it

Seriously, the fuck is wrong with you. Even if we weren't talking about money or toys or hobbies, who the fuck walks around carrying shit in giant trash bags?
>>
>>44237051
>>44237158
>>44241671
You guys can't recognise a bait even this obvious?

On the topic, I'd say try to get GW cases off eBay.
>>
>>44236095
>Some manufacturers set custom laser cut trays. These will obviously fit and protect your models better than anything else but you pay an enormous premium for that.
Got any links? I have a laser at my disposal so I can at least steal their ideas.
>>
>>44234089
Feldherr

https://www.feldherr.com/feldherr-koffer/?ReferrerID=10&gclid=CPeA0b6D5ckCFWX4wgodoI8MnA
>>
>>44241653
>This is like buying $1 brushes instead of sable.

Both have their uses though.
>>
>>44234089
F E L D H E R R
E
L
D
H
E
R
R
>>
>>44235714
I have one I bought back in 3rd edition 40k. Bought more foam sheets for a few bucks
from a bulk retailer online, carved out sheets (like this: >>44235813 ) for each combo of models I run. Only downside to it is if I want vehicles in a 1500+ point army I need another container.
>>
KR Multicase is the most popular at our gaming club. Option with them is custom trays, standard, or pick and pluck. Aluminium case with foam trays, or foam case with cardboard boxes containing the foam.

GW were only doing their small plastic cases with the red foam at the time, so they may have improved to match.

Battle foam are often more pricy due to being a US company (for us brits).

One player has Feldherr cases but the ones he has just seem impractical. Taking more room than they should in a car and being annoying to transport.(Again they may have improved things since)
>>
>>44241794
>>44243552
Ive got the feldherr messenger sized bag- its fabric so i dont look like captain autism walking through town with a hard plastic case but it fits my 1500pts space wolf army perfectly.
>>
File: 20150712_134937.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20150712_134937.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>44234089
Magnets under minis (2€ for a A4 sheet) and a metal toolbox (20€).
>>
>>44245225
THE PAIN
>>
I really dislike how this hobby makes you constantly shell out for accessories and crap, especially when it's literally just some generic product you can get at a non brand name or make yourself.

These foam case things are really expensive for some reason, especially if you're playing any army that isn't super point concentrated space marines.
I have a lot of models and little money, so trying to case all of them would cost me a couple hundred.

What I do however is get some nice thick styrofoam slabs and cut out individual pods for my units. This gives them a lot of support rather than rattling in a square space and also saves a lot of material, especially if you can organize where they fit each other like a puzzle, you can save a whole load of space.
So after I load the units in, I just cover the top with another foam sheet, and somehow secure it, usually with tape.

Another thing is if it's hard to cut out the pods from inside the foam, you can just cut them out completely and glue a sheet to the bottom and load from the top, and then use another sheet to cover it.

There's a lot of alternative options that don't require you to shovel money at GW, and you always get way more for your money anyway.
So get creative.
>>
>>44248067

>so trying to case all of them would cost me a couple hundred.

I use cheep tackel boxs and trays for my at home storage.

But i have enough battle foam bags to transport a good sized army to and from tourneys.

I would like to get a few hard cases so i can bring a 2nd army with because some of my friends always seam to want to borrow an army.

But i would never buy hard cases for EVERY army i own.
>>
File: travelbag.jpg (6 KB, 172x293) Image search: [Google]
travelbag.jpg
6 KB, 172x293
>>44245225
Thats a really good idea, I'm stealing that for my cavalry.

What I had been doing is KR foam for infantry and regular form for tanks inside second hand luggage cases.

On a related note, everyone should get a laptop bag for paints. mine was only $4.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.