[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A bizarre magic system that may/may not be good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: colours of magic.png (68 KB, 404x393) Image search: [Google]
colours of magic.png
68 KB, 404x393
Sup /tg/, I was reading about Warhammer's lores of magic, and after reading the schools of magic from DnD, I was inspired to generate their bastard lovechild. Here it is:

The chromatic lores of magic, as defined by the Bohemian College of Sorcery, are characterized by their different effects and manner of working. They are as follows:

Red: Evocation. Summoning familiars and firebolts, etc.
Orange: Creation. Using nature to attack, creating familiars, and healing via stimulation of body's natural processes.
Yellow: Transmutation. Buffs and debuffs, crafting, and healing through wholly magical forces.
Green: Manipulation. Focuses on manipulation of natural forces, such as light or gravity.
Blue: Abjuration. Shielding spells, dispel magic, and defensive buffs. Boring but extremely useful.
Purple: Divination. Illusions and mind-altering effects, plus limited future sight and precognition.

Also, there are two other "schools" that are related to the others: White and Black Magic.

White focuses on making things as they should be, while Black focuses on making things as they shouldn't. For example, if someone gets his leg chopped off, a White mage could reattach it, because his leg SHOULDN'T be separated from his body like that. A Black Mage, though, could cause a massive bacterial die-off in the ill, because bacteria don't just stop living on their own.

A spell of a certain colored lore is most easily countered by a spell of the same colored lore, or the Blue lore. Wizards are not limited to a single lore when casting spells, though most choose to specialize in one or two colors.

The eight-colour magic system is not used by all, though. Some places teach magic via a tarot-like system of classification, or even forgo it entirely for geomancy or spirit channeling.

(Please, tell me what you think!)
>>
File: Disappointed.gif (2 MB, 500x235) Image search: [Google]
Disappointed.gif
2 MB, 500x235
So it's just D&D magic schools with colours stapled on? Kinda disappointing.

The White/Black thing is kinda interesting, but also so incredibly vague that you could argue practically anything as being whichever you prefer (for example, after getting your leg chopped off it SHOULD be separated, and the bacteria should spread and grow because those kinds SHOULDN'T be in contact with the gory insides of your leg).
>>
>>44230289
It's not very interesting.
It mostly looks like you've assigned colours to D&D magic.

The best part of Warhammer's system was it was thematically appropriate and roughly elemental, it wasn't 'categories' of how to do things.
Something which you've mostly ignored.
>>
>>44230346
the white and black magic is just like positive energy and negative energy in DnD
>>
>>44230289
Needs more Green Lantern fluff
>>
I like the black and white magic.

I've long looked for a bizzare/unique magic for my homebrew, anyone got any books I could read into?
>>
>>44230502
only in the one example he gave.
>>
>>44234399
Mistborn, Discworld, Verbal Magic, ars toetica, Mage the Awakening's Arcanas
>>
>>44237666
>Mage the Awakening's Arcanas

Ars Magica - go back to the source; it's the best magic system in any rpg.
>>
White Magic may be overpowered. My enemy shouldn't be alive, so he dies.
>>
Your color magic is lame and unispired. Let's make this less shit.

First let's start by stealing the central concept of allomancy from Brandon Sanderson then combining it with Color Theory.

Prime Colors.

Yellow - Energy, Kinetic, Thermal
Blue - Temporal, Spacial, Causal
Red - Mental, Spiritual, Ethereal

These are the prime forces, they like to be combined.

Purple- Precognative, Necromantic, Astral Projection
Orange- Domination, Inspiration, Socialization
Green- Ordered Systems and Probability Influence (Life and Luck)

These colors represent fundamental forces that the mage is influencing, either by "Brightening" them (White) or "Darkening" them (Black). These represent a push/pull enchance/reduce paradigm.

There, now its not just D&D with colors assigned to each school.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.