[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So tell me /tg/, how do you like/imagine magic looking? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: warcry_battle_wizard72.jpg (423 KB, 826x649) Image search: [Google]
warcry_battle_wizard72.jpg
423 KB, 826x649
So tell me /tg/, how do you like/imagine magic looking?

Is it bright and colorful or invisible unless otherwise needed?

For instance, if a Wizard fired an energy beam would it be visible or invisible? If a creature is summoned would it appear in a great circle of glowing runes and wooshing or just appearing there?
>>
I really dislike video gamey imagery of wizards firing lasers and lighting the place up in mystical glowing symbols every time they cast any spell. Just waving their hand and making things happen feels much more mysterious and miraculous to me.
>>
It depends on the setting, character, and spells themselves, for me.

Grandiose arcane swirls and tempests of rainbow fit with high fantasy for me, while more subtle manipulations or invisible rituals carry over into something more Robert E Howard.

I admired the Lord of the Rings movies for keeping magic as (mostly) a strange practise. Most of Gandalf's spells in particular.
>>
>>44222803
I have different fluff opinions on a case by case basis, NPC mages are typically bolts and incantations, but some of my characters include a Fae changeling who manipulates shadows, a pyromaniac revenant who is all fire all the time, and a senile old man whose magic manifests as a cloud of fairies he forgot he conjured doing things for him.
>>
>>44222803
I always prefer bright and colorful, but I also prefer higher fantasy in general.

Invisible magic springs to mind something much more sinister, with wounds springing up from nothingness or someone choking to death with no apparent cause. Monster fading silently into view from the shadows.

It's the sort of thing that works better for NPCs in a low-magic setting, one where you're trying to make magic something mysterious and otherworldly. It makes players ask questions and investigate if magical effects occur without a clear source.
>>
My favorite settings are ones with very mechanistic, scientific kinds of magic.

As some anons say, magic all being subtle and rarely seen reinforces a more mystical and miraculous feeling, so generally I like magic being very obvious and flagrant by default. This is partly also a balancing mechanic in my most recent game system, casting spells tends to make characteristic noises and flashes of light. Stealthy casting is more difficult.

I do also like variety though. The mentalist that just rubs their temples and stares before something explodes. The more shamanistic type whose summoned spirits of aid just sort of subtly influence the landscape in a barely noticeable way that still does just what he needs.
>>
Bright and colorful to the user, but invisible to anyone else observing him.

To anyone else but the caster and those like him.
>>
>>44222803
I tend to prefer settings where magic itself is subtle and invisible and you only see the results. The whole lit-up-christmas-tree and fireworks display that is used in, and is necessary for, videogames and movies really isn't my thing.
>>
Bright and colorful to the dull-eyed, and invisible to the keen.

Now the Blind can play spotter to the Mage.

Why, yes, I am a sucker for paired groups.
>>
Glowing sigils, sparkles and all kinds of shit
>>
>>44223563
Like this guy.

A lot of times when I think of what magic would look like I think of JJBA's Stands. If you aren't the user, then SUDDENLY FIRE EVERYWHERE OH FUCK
>>
The top hat/snazzy suit/wand look, card tricks, death-defying knife throwing, and sawing lovely assistants in half.
I don't actually like casters, I just have a mild guro/body rearrangement fetish and I'm not giving you photo evidence
>>
In my setting, magic is literally breaking the physical laws of reality, so magic hurts both mentally and physically to look at. Imagine the way your eyes hurt when you look at a really bright light, or a tension headache.
>>
What does magic smell like?
>>
>>44225162

Dragon's Dogma was the most /tg/ game I've played in a while.

Aught
>>
>>44226354
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bullsStrength.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/eaglesSplendor.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/owlsWisdom.htm
Poop
>>
>>44222803
Depends on the spell. Something like a fireball or lightning? You can see it coming from the wizard's hand/wand/staff/whatever. Something like an illusion or shadow manipulation? A lot more subtle, and you probably won't be able to tell that a wizard is doing it unless you're staring right at him.
>>
>>44222822
Die you degenerate Barneyfag.
>>
File: 1440778455327.jpg (708 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1440778455327.jpg
708 KB, 1920x1080
>>44222893
>>44224748
I respect your opinion, but wholeheartedly disagree solely because lasers are rad as fuck.
>>
Sparkles. Mist. Frayed greenish lightning-looking wisps of energy. Glowing floating runes and letters. Ghostliness.

Muh beams n fireballs are good, but you can't beat the classics.
Invisible shit is ok too if its toned right.
>>
>>44228157
You can combine them - magic sparks on the casting object (your hand, a focus, your dick, etc), magic sparks on the casting subject (a rock, an enemy, your dick, etc)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Vyhve9gtg
>>
File: Tct1MZ.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Tct1MZ.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>44222803
Depends on the flavour of magic being used, to be honest.

My favourite variety is the super flashy stuff, though. Bright blue energy beams, creatures summoned out of massive magic arrays, that sort of jazz.
>>
>>44226362
PC release soon
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.