[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can one run a good RP in this setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: foundation_covers.jpg (371 KB, 1248x662) Image search: [Google]
foundation_covers.jpg
371 KB, 1248x662
Can one run a good RP in this setting?
>>
Foundation? Yeah, sure.
>>
>>44211854
Still salty about the shit ending the series got.
>>
>>44211854
I imagine so, it seems like a good universe for playing a Rogue Trader style character.
>>
>>44211965

I dunno, it doesn't have any interesting races or technology, weapons and...everything is pretty banal actually. I guess you can play as a member of the Second foundation trying to uphold the Seldon Plan, but other than that?
>>
>>44212002

But what does it offer that Rogue Trader doesn't?
>>
>>44211854
You can run a good session in any setting with the right players and GM.
>>
>>44212239
Having a similar feel, while not being in the 40k setting.
>>
Yes, because the Foundation's basically a high-level conspiracy your regular character would only learn about if they had sunk some serious points into historical knowledge of exotic ancient sciences and scientific movements.
>>
>>44212239
Dunno, the question was could you run a good one, not why is this the best setting ever.
>>
>>44212005
>doesn't want to play one of those spacefaring technology merchants fleecing rubes and dodging the law
>doesn't want to play a techno-priest enforcing orthodoxy through technological dependence
>doesn't want to play during the collapse of the galactic empire
>doesn't want to play a ruthless warlord after the collapse
>doesn't want to play a Second Foundation spy cell secretly manipulating the world and collecting talented individuals

I mean there are like seventy other ideas you could use but if you don't like any of them, that's that.

>>44212239
Less grimdark dorkiness, no magic, no demons, no space Catholic Nazis, no "machine spirit" dorkiness.

The differences are pretty substantial, honestly. The entire tone is different.
>>
>>44213112
>no magic
Literally Mule. And Second Foundation uses limited psionics of its own.

Now clearly there isn't any grimderp gaos majig but psykers are pretty much a thing.
>>
>>44212239
No 40k.
>>
>>44211854
>Can one run a good RP in this setting?
No. All your actions have already been predicted by the GM, so you can't roll any dice. You just get to see the ending.
>>
>>44211854
It's THE sci-fi setting.

But most of what would be covered in an RPG is left vague and a lot of material would have to be made up by the GM. Players would probably end up running powerful trading companies or get caught up in a major war between some of the top-tier fiefdoms that never got mentioned.
>>
>>44211992
I liked the last book, but as a series ender it was meh.
Prelude to foundation, and forward the foundation may be my favorite though. Prelude to foundation in particular can be read like someones game.

To answer the question. Yes, you can run a good game in any setting. I have run Cthulhu Tech games people enjoyed.

The setting itself is pretty sparsely detailed. Not much is known about the tech, the vast majority of cultures, warfare, economics, etc...
This means a GM would have to come up with almost everything. This also means a GM can make whatever they want.
Really, this is the kind of setting Traveler was made for.

So in conclusion. Yes, run it using GURPS or Traveler
>>
>>44211992

I don't know, if you consider "Foundation" only the three main books, I'd say it had a pretty good ending.
>>
>>44214508
i read prelude years before i went back and read the real books. it's like he wrote foundation for adults, wrote norby with his wife, and decided he wanted something written in the middle ground and we got prelude.

>>44216319
agreed

>>44211854
those are sweet pictures. never saw that art beyond the first with seldon. I love the transition.

I'd say no to the good RP in the setting unless you had players ok with being railroaded. you could have a lot of fun having players as foundation, second foundation, or enemies to foundation, but in the end they'd have to be comfortable knowing the ending is always going to be the same for them.

I'd love to have players who could handle a "twilight of civilization," game set on trantor or something where they are the old aristocracy and know they're going to lose, but play just to see how it all crumbles.

I'd still prefer a different setting for that. I've run games in the book of the new sun's world and what i've described runs much closer to a game I ran in that world, and belongs there imo. Foundation will be best just as a book. Too academic/sciencey for good fiction-exploration/adventure.
>>
File: 1413863222515.jpg (64 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1413863222515.jpg
64 KB, 612x612
>>44211854
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.