[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sunless Civilizations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
How does a civilization thrive in a sunless environment? (Underground, magic blew up the sun, etc.)

How must a civilization adapt to be able to, say, feed itself with no sun?

What cultural impacts does no sun have on the people?
>>
Mushrooms, rats, bats, and honey, from what I'm given to understand.
>>
>>44182193
What do the rats, bats and bees eat?
>>
>>44182253
Underground plants. Fungus is probably the basis of all life.
>>
>>44182253
It's probably better not to speculate, crickets, and the nectar from the exile's rose, respectively.
>>
>>44182193
Honey? Do plants flower underground?
>>
>>44182253
>Rats
Same as everyone else

>Bats
The rats

>Bees
The flowers on the edge of Parabola, memories, the stuff of souls, and fire.
>>
>>44182300
Some kind of algae or moss might.
>>
>from the Natural History of Pliny the Elder: “… there is another kind of honey; its effect is attributed to the flowers called exile’s rose, which are found in sacred places from Pontus to Baetica. One who consumes these flowers departs and does not return.”
>>
When in sunless sea did the sun blow up? Its just an underground area and you can go to the surface where sailing is a whole new game with wind.

Plenty of of creatures live without the sun (Cave fish, crabs, etc)
Trade in animal materials and minerals
>>
>>44182358
Wait, they added in the surface?
>>
>>44182358
People who have lived in and around the sunless sea too long have a nasty habit of bursting into flames when presented to the sun's light. It's survivable, rarely.
>>
>>44182375
It's been in there since the beginning - inspect the Cumaean Canal a little more closely.

disclaimer: I haven't played SS in a long time; FL's more my speed
>>
>>44182358
I think that part is meant more in general to 'sunless' worlds.

I've seen a few worlds without a sun on world building threads, for various reasons.
>>
>>44182413
I mean I've gone through the canal to the "surface" but it wasn't a sailable area with wind, it was just a series of text prompts where you had to do your business and get out before you ran out of fuel or got sun stroked.
>>
>>44182358
>When did the sun blow up
Thank the Bazaar that it hasn't. The seven burning letters are the name of another Judgement that the sun probably wanted to date, and it turned it down. The Bazaar refused to return that message though, because it believed the sun would literally extinguish at the news.
>>
>>44182439
Well, yeah, there's no surface sailing because that'd sort of defeat the point. Also the whole touched by the sun thing
>>
Poor OP got his thread derailed hard.

what system would you run a Sunless Sea game in? What about Fallen London?
>>
>>44182537
I've been considering Blades in the Dark. Had a look at the PDF, but now I can't find it.
>>
>>44182537
G U R P S

But I would actually run Savage Worlds or HeroQuest because I know them better and it would be easier to run.
>>
>>44182167
Whenever I have cavern dwelling civilizations, I always have them cultivate vast fungus farm and hunt larger cave dwelling animal.

Due to there being no way to see great areas of land, and needing to go through winding narrow tunnels to get places, it would be less likely for large armies or vast nations to form. People would keep to themselves much more.

Stone working would be an extremely valuable skill, and everyone would have some degree on knowledge in of it (you'd more likely carve your home out of the cave wall then build it in the open).

On one would have wood, or it would have to be trade for with surface people, if they have any contact with those they do have of it would be valuable, as it's a much easier to work with marital then stone.
>>
In a sunless environment you need some other primary source of energy, applicable options are hydrocarbons produced by geothermal activity, radiation produced from naturally radioactive materials and fed upon by fungi like plants do sunlight, or fucking magic. Personally I'm fond of fucking magic.
>>
>>44183039
You could just make fictional types of fungus that are capable of surviving solely of of nutrient from their soil (or more likely, bat guano) that's just pseudo biological, and not magical.
>>
>>44183394
Radiotrophic fungus is far more sensible as it's a real thing, it's also the only way fungi ever end up producing more energy than they take in.
>>
>>44182457
I thought it had more to do with the Bazaar refusing to deliver the message out of jealousy that the Sun (Whom it loved.) Was essentially cheating on it and decided to do the whole, "I'm gonna prove my love to you!"
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.