[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Not basing your fantasy europe on the Netherlands Totally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: ruisdael_-_evening_landscape.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2315) Image search: [Google]
ruisdael_-_evening_landscape.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2315
>Not basing your fantasy europe on the Netherlands

Totally disgraceful.
>>
>>44173703
Sell me on it, then. What's so rad about the Netherlands in historical times?
>>
>>44173740

Nobody remembers them, so hipsters can funpost about them and admonish others for paying more attention to mainstream european states.
>>
>>44173703
Marienburg and the Wasteland, formerly known as the Westerland.
>>
File: Willem of Orange.jpg (134 KB, 854x1108) Image search: [Google]
Willem of Orange.jpg
134 KB, 854x1108
>>44173740
I would suggest reading between the Burgundian period(1433) and the time of the Dutch Empire of trade, especially the Eighty Years' War.

Also, read about the Dutch Republic if you want a industrial steampunk thing, especially the Anglo-Dutch Wars and the Orangist Revolution.

>>44173830
>Nobody remembers them.
>Nobody remembers one of the greatest economic powers of the Old World.
>One that shaped the modern definition of Capitalism.

Please! Dutch are not for hating!
>>
>>44173703
Nobody in my group is interested in underwater settings, sadly.
>>
>>44173903
17th century is the place to be.

Taking Spanish fleets and fortresses in the Carribean, removing the Portugese from the Indies...

Meanwhile inventing corporations, banking, multinational entreprising, optimizing slave trade to the new world, microbiology, astronomy, philosophy, seperation of state and church et cetera, all the while duking it out with Spain, France, England and Germanic states.

Its also before the tipping point of gunpowder warfare where cavalry charges were still a thing and valor was valuable
>>
>>44174167
Exactly. They're like the mercantile state that you find in every fantasy game, but netter.
>>
>>44173949
dykes man, dykes
>>
>>44174167
sadly we cant really be proud of that because muh slave trade
>>
>>44174510
We have literally a gajillion other things to be proud of tho.

Everybody did slavery. Hell, the only reason the Europeans got black slaves was because other black people enslaved those blacks.
>>
>>44174510
Oh fuck off. Slave trade had been around since the first empires around 4000BC. And do you think the Europeans went into the deep african bushbush to hunt down some hutsis and tutsis? Of course not! You sail some galleons down to one of your factories, mostly near the congo, or the cape. There you buy some niggers from other niggers in return for some beads and guns. And what to think of the massive Ottoman slave trade?
>>
/tg/

Orangist or Patriot?
>>
>>44174167

>late 16th and 17th century is the place to be.

damn straight.

>Its also before the tipping point of gunpowder warfare where cavalry charges were still a thing and valor was valuable

Yes and no. Gunpowder, even muskets, had been around for a while then. The cavalry charge already waned in popularity, replaced by riders wielding pistols to harass enemy pikemen from afar. the increasingly widespread use of firearms actually brought back cavalry charges, as armies swapped out increasingly large numbers of pikes for muskets, and effective bayonets were not yet invented, leaving them open for fast advances by cavalry.
>>
>>44173703
>>44173903
>>44174167
Dutch are boring, just mainland Brits without the style, pompus, superiority complex and ugly language.
>>
>>44174695

Patriot, of course.

The brother de Wit were an inside job!
>>
>>44174820
>not conquering the sea

How are those floods goin', Brit?
>>
>>44174667
I know but if you go fuck yea Golden Age it inevitably ends up with someone going ''but we traded slaves are you proud of slavery'' it's fucking bullshit we kicked ass in the 17th century
>>
>>44174695
Patriot, screw the stadhouder.

>>44174783
For cavalry charges I mainly refer to the Polish Commonwealth lancers, or the Winged Hussars. But you're right, ruyters and other pistol cavalry or mobile infantry were prevailing more and more.

>>44174820
Gr8 b8 m8, here's your reply.
>>
>>44174820

And the ability to rob you blind, while letting you think you got the better deal.

Also
>without the ugly language

Have you ever heard Dutch? I mean, it's not as much of a mess as British, but it's close.
>>
>>44174667
Or the Blacks who built Baghdad out in the middle of a swamp.
>>
If you ain't Dutch,

You ain't much.
>>
Nederdraad on /tg/, what a day...

>>44174981
St. Petersburg was built on a massive swamp. Amsterdam is built on a swamp. Venetia is sinking away. Whats your point?
>>
>>44174872
>implying I'm a Brit and just don't think the Dutch are hilarious boring, get rekt flatlander

>>44174960
Thanks Nederlander hopw u get a better country

>>44174967
So, no redeeming features? Cool!

Yeah, I've heard Dutch, sounds like a Klingon clearing his throat. It's plain old ugly. Calm down with those double vowels, man.

>calling the language British

Holy shit.
>>
>>44175070
I'm so sorry for your grudge against the Dutch. We can't help being this good. Tell me how I can relieve the ouchy.
>>
File: Griffin Hussar.jpg (117 KB, 640x459) Image search: [Google]
Griffin Hussar.jpg
117 KB, 640x459
>>44173703
>Not having Literal Winged Hussars

Why?
>>
>>44173903
>Dutch are not for hating
I begs to differs. The Dutch are scum.
>>
>>44173903
>shaped the modern definition of Capitalism
>Dutch are not for hating!

M8 I'm dutch and I love it, but those 2 statements just don't work together.
>>
>>44174510
>we cant really be proud of that because muh slave trade
>letting haters piss on your national pride

Do you even patriotism?
>>
File: VOC.jpg (514 KB, 950x540) Image search: [Google]
VOC.jpg
514 KB, 950x540
>>44175344
DUTCH NOW AND FOREVER

MAY OUR REACH BE WIDE AND OUR PROFITS HIGH!
>>
>>44175441
>Being proud of being high sea ferengis.
Spaniards should have erased you from existence.
>>
>>44175495

>Being proud of being high sea ferengis.

And the leading military power of the time.

And the leading centre of art and science of the time.

And being one of the first experiments in democracy since the fall of the Roman Republic. (while also turning England into a constitutional monarchy, because we like to share the glory).

You know, all the little stuff.
>>
>>44175495
They tried. They failed
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.