[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /tg/ still play L5R?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
Does /tg/ still play L5R?
>>
And half an hour later still no posts. I believe that answers your question.
>>
File: Bayushi Nicktoshi.png (413 KB, 359x505) Image search: [Google]
Bayushi Nicktoshi.png
413 KB, 359x505
The CCG is over. They were going to have the Spider clan win and take over the empire, time jump to 50 years of so and start again with the clans ruled over by the Spider clan.

Looked fun as balls but then they sold it to FFG and now it will b e redone, most likely with massive retcons and changes to mechanics.

But the RPG is still awesome.
>>
Sure, its integrated into one of the continents in my 3.5 campaign.
>>
>>44162696
>Actually using the d20 abomination
I'd say kill yourself, but I don't think death deserves someone as bad as you.
>>
>>44162023
Haven't played since the end of Jade, beginning of Gold.
>>
I play the RPG, never got into the CCG.
I might get into the LCG once it comes out, but most likely as a casual thing with my friends.
>>
>>44162023
I'd really like to.

Just haven't yet.
>>
File: asahina stronk.jpg (343 KB, 1280x943) Image search: [Google]
asahina stronk.jpg
343 KB, 1280x943
>>44162023
Yes but without new CCG stuff or RPG books there's not a lot of new discussion material until FFG puts out some new information.

I run a game of it and have for years now, it is one of my favorite settings, but there's just not enough new stuff on the regular to warrant common threads. Though it is always nice when someone needs GM advice or something and a thread pops up.
>>
>>44163344
>>44162627
Thanks I just got into it and I see i'm a little late but it seems fun. Both cards and RPG.
>>
>>44163410
You're just in time to not have to worry about new RPG material popping up and needing to be integrated.
4th edition is functionally complete as an RPG. It's not blatantly missing any material or potential angles of play, and a complete errata cycle has happened. Now is pretty much the best time to get into it.
>>
I played a couple of online campaigns, but one was too much political bullshit and I'm pretty sure the GM was trying to get in the pants of the female player over the internet, so my character solved the case we were nominally investigating by murdering anyone we had even thought about suspecting, on the theory that if we suspected them in the first place they were probably guilty of something. Left it in flames.

The other one was a great game, good mix of action, investigating, HONOR, and brolationships. Unfortunately the GM fucked off and it died.
>>
>>44162627
>FFG

They're the BBEG of the gaming industry, I swear.
>>
>>44162627

I'd rather see it neutered by FFG than see a Rokugan where the Spider Clan win.

FUCK THE SPIDER CLAN
>>
>>44162023
I wish I did. Got the books recently but nobody on any of the rp forums I frequent or in my area play.
>>
>>44162023
L5R has become my groups "Let's see what waifu our GM gives us" game

and I'm the GM

It's gotten to the point where I have to limit it to one "blissful betrothal" per party.

I could say it's my fault for making likeable NPCs, but I think it's more that I'm playing with weaboos
>>
>>44164140
Well, bad news I guess. Literally the last canon event in AEG's Rokugan was the Spider takeover, then the game was sold and the plot not advanced.
>>
>>44162627
well then thank god for retcons
>>
>>44164206
They better get a Crab wallfu. If she can't potentially pick you up and break your spine over her knee, she's not worth waifuing.
>>
>>44164273
>If she can't potentially pick you up and break your spine over her knee, she's not worth waifuing.

That includes Matsu and Heichi women too! And some Daidoji!
>>
>>44164319
and the Utaku
>>
>>44164273
Hida women tend to be mothers rather than warriors. It makes constant warfare more sustainable that way.

Matsu, Daidoji and (in case of minor clans) Ichiro women fit the archetype better
>>
>>44164361
Only when mounted though.
>>
>>44164415
>no crane waifu to dominate me physically, sexually and politically
>why even live.
>>
>>44164415
Tend to be, but there are enough that are full-blown wall bushi.
>>
>>44164444
of course. But in the bedroom, her mount is you
>>
>>44164458
And they tend to be the ones who the Crab marry off to other clans, got to keep all the healthy motherly women in the Crab to make more sons
>>
>>44164208
And now it's gonna get ignored in favor of something that isn't fucking stupid, hopefully.
>>
Imma be honest.

FFG can do to L5R what they did to WHFRP and totally change the flavor of the game and require hundreds of dollars of preherphials just to start a game, but if they retcon out the fucking Spider clan I will fucking worship them.
>>
>>44164208
I will never understand why AEG was so in love with the spider clan

The only cool thing about them were their monks, and even then only because their monks were the closest thing to japanese warrior monks in the setting
>>
>>44164621
It was executive override based on perceived fan activity. Completely ignoring the horde players who didn't want to become a "proper" clan and the overwhelming anti-Spider sentiment.
Every time an event would have fucked the Spider, they went "nuh-uh" and invalidated it. Or claimed that the Spider weren't valid targets (When the Mantis got completely fucked, the Spider were the actual target, but didn't get fucked because they didn't count as a clan despite being a Great Clan that was actively involved in the event.
>>
>>44164680
OK, but where did this "percieved fan activity" come from?
>>
>>44164707
I have no idea. I think there really were some people who like the Spider, but they definitely weren't a majority, even within the shadowlands faction. I think there was also a push to standardize mechanics and making them an actual Clan was, admittedly, the best way to do that. Still pissed off a lot of old horde players though.
>>
>>44164707
Well, when you want to see how popular a new aspect of something is but decide to not count and completely ignore any and all negative feedback and reception as just "a loud minority" then of course the new aspect is going to look super popular.
>>
>>44164744
There were also Crab players who were pissed when they removed the Damned as a valid deck archetype because of the New Taintâ„¢ making it impossible to actually get tainted without being a traitor.
>>
>>44164463
But then how does she lift you overhead to break the Bat? Truly the complexities of Utaku mechanics.
>>
>>44164794
It also never helped that they constantly wrote the crab as dying to fight the spider, but then always making it impossible to happen, leading crab players to get very annoyed and feeling irrelevant and teased.

>>44164707
Half came from a CCG idea to make Dishonor a relevant win condition, part from a desire to tell not shadowlands centered BBEG based stories, and part from fans who saw in Spider a genuinely "evil samurai" faction that could in a sense be more human and involved in the setting besides a blatantly "kill everyone" invasion force.

It was a mix of many things and the bottom line was that people liked the "idea" of an evil samurai clan faction, not scorpion which were more political, but a legitament evil military clan to mirror the lion. They just didn't adapt the spider enough to fit in, because Jigoku is still the ultimate evil.

Funniest part of it all was that right as the Spider was going to get involved and were solidifying their place in the setting they decided to just turn and force them into evil hordes mode again.

The recent official "winter court" saw many new takes on the spider along with adaptions and even possible divine backings for certain aspects of them and was generally see as the first successful implementation of the Spider Clan, and then literally a few weeks afterwords AEG threw it all away and forced the spider to become all evil, the exact opposite of the intentions of their players. Many rages were had.
>>
I stopped after the Day of Thunder. I actually kinda dug some things about the story arc after that but I just can't get into anything after that.
>>
>>44165519
Also I do have the core books for every edition of the rpg but almost never play. Before or shortly after the Day of Thunder is really the only time I'm really excited about, but not every edition supports that. I have played other eras though and see no reason most of them can't be as fun as the early stuff so long as the game line's metaplot is not central to the campaign.

I probably won't buy the new versions. I don't care for FFG's other games.
>>
>>44165643
Oh, except for versions of the setting with the Spider Clan. I've no interest in playing in a setting with those guys.
>>
File: Ikoma_Takakura.jpg (616 KB, 640x457) Image search: [Google]
Ikoma_Takakura.jpg
616 KB, 640x457
And here I am mourning the loss of the plotline where the Lion could potentially escape the 'honor is a weakness' and worf cliches for at least a story arc... I sure as hell hope FFG didn't get the writers from the deal
>>
Not as regularly as I like, shoulda joined the last batch of sun and moon tournaments. Looking to travel to a few of the community events over the next year. Modern L5R is over all a ton of fun IMHO.
>>
Been GMing a campaign for going on two years now. No intention on stopping anytime soon. Hopefully FFG won't fuck up the system or setting too much. Though if the Mantis Clan doesn't absorb and destroy the flavor of a half dozen other minor clans and the Spider clan stays as just this rogue nation in the shadowlands I could be happy.
>>
>>44167036
Personally, I'd rather the Mantis go back to being a minor clan in the Minor Clan Alliance rather than being a monolithic blob of doom that eats every little clan it gets its pseudopods on. The Spider clan can exist in its original form as an entirely fake clan that pretends to be legitimate (And even is legitimate at its lowest levels) but is actually a front for evil shit.
>>
>>44167116
That is to say, its original form after making the move into Rokugan proper. When it started recruiting from ronin by acting like an open, righteous group that protects the common folk and respects its members.
>>
>>44167116
>>44167132
I could live with that. Personally I don't like how the Mantis became a great clan, but as I am told we poor lowly RPG players must live and die by the whims of the CCG Meta.
>>
>>44162023
Yes, but my problem is that I can't find any text-only games online. I played in a voice campaign for a while and it was fun, but god damn was it awkward, particularly when a character's love interest was involved.
>>
>>44167276
The dichotomy of RPG and CCG players for L5R is a fascinating thing
>>
>>44165519
>Stopped after the day of thunder

Jesus, that was like fifteen years ago. Maybe more, I dunno when the first CCG arcs really ended.

>>44167276
>>44167116
Fuck you, I love the Mantis as a GC who got there via balls and fortune favoring the mortal man. But they also have been a GC for as long as I've even been aware the game so maybe it is because I'm a newfag scrub comparatively.

For real though, they've been GC since before the second edition of the RPG even came out, how are people still salty over that?
>>
>>44170671
It isn't that people dislike the Mantis being big, it's that they loved the minor clans that got absorbed and wanted them to remain distinct-- particularly wasp and fox, I think, and centipede to a much lesser extent.

Ideally I'd like to see Mantis as the biggest fish in the Minor Clan pond, and the one to rally the school when it's time to deal with the Great Clan sharks, but without actually taking over the other clans. Let them even be a de facto Great Clan if not one in name. Just let the Minor Clans keep their flavour and the majority of their independence,
>>
>>44164707

Spider became their hottest seller

Only reason i got into and played L5R was when Diagostu created the Spider Clan.

Looking to sell my old cards if anyone wants them
>>
>>44170889
This^

Spider was one of their most active fan bases and their starter decks flew off the walls every time they came out.

Their art was cool, the plot heavily focused on them, and even though they we one of the worst CCG factions in the game they destroyed when it came to sheer numbers.

They sold like crazy.
>>
>>44162733
Shut up, Virt.
>>
>>44171174
Please, like everyone doesn't know the d20 L5r is the worst. Even if you like d20, there's still no reason to use it for Rokugan.
>>
>>44171174
The d20 version is literally just bad. It butchered the setting and isn't a very good d20 game aside. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Also, it's convinced people that Rokugan exists within the D&D multiverse and therefore they should be able to play as elves and dwarves and halflings within it, which is completely contrary to one of the cornerstones of the entire setting.
>>
So I have a question to bump the thread.

A samurai's belongings often feature a mon, right? So what stuff features the family mon, and what stuff features the clan mon? Or do the two always appear together?

Do mons appear on everything, down to a samurai's silk loincloth, or only on the big important things?

And when you marry into another clan, what happens to all the stuff with your old clan and family mons? Does everything get replaced, or repainted, or do you keep some stuff the way it is?
>>
>>44172555
Samurai wear their clan and family on a pin, like a badge. Everything else with the mon on it is optional and up to the player character, although showing pride in one's clan is usually encouraged.
>>
>>44172555
Traditionally, a samurai wears three mons on them, one on their right breast, one on their left, and one on their back.
One for their clan, one for their family, and one for their school. The clan mon is almost always on their back, although a family mon might go there if they're within their own lands. Where the other two go depends on which of the two they keep closer to their heart. If it's on your left, it's literally and figuratively closer to your heart. Of course, most don't really wear them like that, but it's the "ideal".
As for when they change clan and family through marriage, the general gist of it is that you are supposed to become a full member of that family and clan, so you switch over. Anything you have that is an heirloom stays as it is to respect your ancestors, but actually wearing your old mon on clothing is mildly disrespectful to both families and the marriage contract itself. Things like armor get repainted, things that are engraved generally stay the same out of practicality and respect. Some really important ancestral things might be passed on to a sibling or other family member who isn't marrying out.
Basically, it's fine to carry some stuff with your old mon on it, but samurai are supposed to be sincere in word and deed, and that means sincerely becoming a member of the family you marry into. Openly wearing too much of your old family's stuff runs counter to that. On the flip side, not having any at all might be disrespectful of your ancestors and might be an insult to the honor of your old family. Social perception is everything. You need to maintain the dignity of both families and your spouse and yourself and your lord(s)/parents who arranged the agreement in the first place.
>>
>>44162023
I still do, but I've never had a group willing to play in the setting. Buncha trogs. I should have known better than to expect my group to sign up for anything that lasts longer than four sessions...
>>
File: u wot m8.jpg (36 KB, 331x480) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.jpg
36 KB, 331x480
>>44172880
>Buncha trogs

That's racist, anon-san.
>>
>>44171004
>>44170889
Comparatively, though.

Thing to remember is Spider mainly became a hot seller because a lot of the other players quit the game in droves.
>>
>>44175922
Pretty much this. I finally washed my hands of the game at the end of Celestial when Daigotsu saved the day and shit all over the established metaphysics of the setting.

I was barely in for Celestial. I am still pretty salty about how AEG ran the last leg of the Race for the Throne. They pretty much shit on the Scorpion fanbase's hard work throughout the race by turning the last leg into a Popularity contest.
>>
Spider Clan won.
Daigotsu is the most powerful Kami.

Haters BTFO.

FFG version will just be non canon fanfiction.
>>
>>44175922
>>44177971
It's pretty funny, really.

Spider proved to be a hot seller.... Because most of the players for other factions dropped the game over the Spider.

Spider becoming a GC proved to be received positively.... Because anyone who spoke out against the direction the story took were silenced and ignored.

I for one am glad AEG is no longer handling L5R. FFG may or may not prove to be any better, we'll see, their products all run the whole gamut from absolutely fantastic to complete and utter garbage, so we'll have to wait and see where FFG's L5R falls.

But AEG ran the IP into the fucking ground, so I'm going to remain hopeful that FFG can somehow salvage it.
>>
>>44180469
Here's your reply.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 289x174) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 289x174
>>44180469
Truth right here. The rest of the other clans can fuck right off. Spider clan best clan.
>>
>>44181576
So great their mere existence killed the entire IP.
>>
>>44181576
You and yours disgust me. Except the monks. The monks are cool and deserve better.
>>
>>44181576
So great that they needed constant babysitting from upper management and some of the biggest fiat armor ever seen in a /tg/ product to even have half a chance of existing.
>>
>>44181639
I wish their monks were split in two, one group that strives for internal strength without external assistance, and one that finds strength in the taint

And then every other part of the spider can go fuck themselves and die
>>
>>44183051
There are similar orders in the Brotherhood. Spider monks aren't really unique. Or they wouldn't be if any of the similar ones got a moment to shine. Even their false path shit is similar to some other heretical orders that were overly focused on strength and violence.
>>
Question: When you guys play the tabletop rpg version, what exactly do the players roleplay as? Someone in another thread asked this about Western games, citing DnD players typically being "adventurers" and Shadowrun players being "shadowrunners".

I'm planning on running a similar type setting as Rokugan, so I was hoping someone could tell me how the best did it.
>>
File: 1440157253021.jpg (377 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1440157253021.jpg
377 KB, 800x1000
I've been wanting to run a Katanagatari-inspired campaign and was considering using the ruleset of the TTRPG, using its general themes, but disregarding the inherent fluff of the clans.

Do you think this is viable or is the game too heavily tied to the fluff for it to work?

As a followup question, how vital are Shugenja majicks to overall party utility and composition? I'd prefer to have a little to no magic setting, but I might have to compromise if it's necessary.
>>
>>44184297
>Do you think this is viable or is the game too heavily tied to the fluff for it to work?
At the base level? Sure, problem is the way schools and magic works is inherently tied to the fluff of the setting.

>As a followup question, how vital are Shugenja majicks to overall party utility and composition? I'd prefer to have a little to no magic setting, but I might have to compromise if it's necessary.
"Party balance" in L5R is heavily, if not entirely, dependent on the type of campaign the GM intends to run.

Shugenja, however, are something of a jack-of-all-trades regardless of the type of campaign because with the right element/spell selection they can excel at anything.
>>
>>44162733
fuck off
>>
>>44185002
>I like subpar (Even for d20) d20 adaptations of games that already have their own systems
>>
>>44162023
I would love to, however the only GM I know of who likes to run it is bogged down in the responsibilities of having a life, and I don't trust my own skills as a GM, nor the interest of any players I could accrue.
>>
>>44184297
kill yourself babby
>>
>>44183720
Most people play Samurai.

A party is intended, so to speak, to consist of Samurai, Courtiers, and Shugenja, but the Samurai is a big allure of the setting.

One thing to consider is that Clan Loyalties can be a big issue in the game. A party including a Scorpion and a Lion typically demands a bit of explanation, for instance, as the two clans tend to hate each other. Further, depending on the clans picked, it can decide a lot about the campaign you're going to run. A game with a Carp merchant, a Shoshuro 'actor' (ninja), and a Doji Courtier is going to run a lot different than a game with Akodo Bushi, Utaku Rider, and HIda Guardian.

I strongly recommend spending your first session making the characters, so everyone's together, and you can discuss the complexities of the politics of the realm and how they shape character interaction.

Fuck Spider clan, Scorpion for LIFE.
>>
>>44185532
Spider should not exist.
Phoenix Stronk.
>>
>>44185532
The "classes" are bushi, courtiers, and shugenja. All of the above are samurai.
>>
>>44163344
Wow, that is one awful art. Wong on so many Levels.
>>
>>44185750
The Spider clan didn't come into their own ironically enough until Imperial Histories 2. In the Emerald Stars AU, where everyone was Rokugan In SPACE! The Spider clan was the mad scientist faction who made terrifying weapons for the Empire. Which meant they stayed the evil faction and didn't tread on the Scorpions sphere.
>>
>>44186394
That's actually some of the better L5R art, honestly.
>>
File: Kakita_Toshimoko_3.jpg (97 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
Kakita_Toshimoko_3.jpg
97 KB, 500x382
>>44186478
Pic related.
>>
>>44170671
like this guy said>>44170822
it's the destruction of several of the other minor clans that pisses a lot of us off. I personally rather enjoy the flavor and feel of the Mantis. I do not like the idea of holding the empire hostage somehow working out for them or that they absorbed and decimated the flavor of those that they absorbed.

>>44171255
oh god it's so horrid, I die a little inside everytime i'm reminded about it.
>>
>>44186394
Mad that there's a swole Crane or about the forging techniques?
>>
>>44162023
Just picked up the core book from my brick and mortar store. I'll probably need to play via Roll20 since my friends are either massive norms or fairly young.
>>
>>44191070
>not teaching lolis how to ninja
>>
>>44191165
>Implying there are ninjas in Rokugan
>>
>>44191165
Now I'm thinking of a Shosuro operative who trains a little girl in the art of assassination, espionage, and subterfuge. It'd be like Leon: the Professional, but in feudal not-Japan.
>>
File: 1351271710659.jpg (424 KB, 1280x905) Image search: [Google]
1351271710659.jpg
424 KB, 1280x905
>>
>>44193735
And without the loli sex scenes cut out!
>>
File: shamefur_dispray.png (338 KB, 640x487) Image search: [Google]
shamefur_dispray.png
338 KB, 640x487
>>44196681
You stay faithful to your arranged wife, and you like it.
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how would one go about actually getting into a game of this?
>>
>>44196963
>implying politely ignoring affairs on the down low isn't just the norm, but also expected in Rokugan
>>
>>44197457
You don't.

Not even trolling you. Its like no one plays L5R that isn't an established group of friends who know each other IRL and have been playing for years and aren't looking to pick up randos.
>>
>>44195482
>that leaf
Taimanin Asagi.jpg
>>
>>44197642
>>44197457
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/36513/a-long-came-a-spider
APPLY NOW FAGNERDS
>>
>>44197457
It's difficult because the setting is so very specific (And if you don't want the specific setting, there are a ton of other, more fitting games). Basically, you just have to pitch it to your group and hope it sticks. Or find random people to play with you. A group got together a while ago from /tg/, but the GM bailed after the first session.
>>
>>44197642
Plenty of people on roll20 play it or want to play it. The problem is that no one wants to run it.

I would kill for a text L5R game. I keep checking roll20 and the gamefinder threads every now and then to see if there are any ads for such a game, but no dice. L5R GMs are a rare commodity, ones running a text game are even rarer.
>>
>>44197777
Why does it have to be text, if I might ask?
>>
>>44197680
>those players
>3rd edition
>acknowledging Spider clan exists

Let me rephrase that, it's like either everyone is an established group of IRL friends who aren't looking for new players, or subhuman filth.
>>
>>44197821
Pretty sure because some people don't like the potentially-cringey nature of random people attempting to voice their characters especially if it's the opposite gender
>>
>>44197821
Just personal preference for the most part. I am waaaayy better at roleplaying via text than via voice. I would totally be down for a game that used text for in-character discussion and voice for out-of-character chatter though.
>>
>>44197886
It's even worse when it's voice AND video and you can see the neckbeard playing the sultry Scorpion trying to play off like he's not jerking off under his desk.
>>
>>44197839
I understand the edition and spider clan hate, but what's wrong with the players?
>>
>>44162565
>half an hour
This isn't /v/ or /b/, we don't go that fast.
>>
>>44197954
>video
I never understood that. Then again, I never understood the need or desire for video chat outside of a romantic relationship or business context in the first place.
>>
>>44197886
For me, it's that and also the honorifics. It's important to clearly state whether you're using san, kun, sama, ect, when talking to other characters (Lots of implied insult or respect in them) but actually saying them (And other borrowed Japanese words that don't have direct English counterparts) out loud is cringey when the rest of your sentence is entirely English.
>>
>>44198257
>not speaking all In-Character dialog entirely in Japanese

ISHYDDT
>>
>>44198257
Not *direct* english counterpart. Words like sir, madam, miss, son, sonny, boy, *do* get the connotation across with out sounding like a weebo.
>>
>>44198754
>Not *direct* english counterpart. Words like sir, madam, miss, son, sonny, boy, *do* get the connotation across with out sounding like a weebo.
Let's be honest, even looking at the book/PDF kinda counts as weeb corruption already so might as well go all the way.

You are right, but some things like Nii-san or Sama-tachi don't have equivalents in English.
>>
>>44198833
>nii-San
>literally Japanese for "big brother"

Either way in actual translating and not fan sub bullshit translations the rule of thumb for translating from Japanese to English is intent and meaning trumps literal translation.
>>
>>44197642
So much this. Happened to find a l5r group on a forum and it was all 'in-house'. What made it hilarious was that one of the players was bemoaning how he wished more people would play or get into l5r.
>>
I'm in a game right now.

Its going okay. One of our players wanted to play the guy from Shogun so the GM said "Okay 7th Sea is europe." since there was 4E L5R conversions for the 7th Sea rules, which has been much cooler than I thought it'd be.

The game doesn't take itself terribly seriously; my character's sister was a kolat agent and the ONLY person at winter court my character DIDN'T suspect of being a kolat, so that was some nice drama, but the arc before that we teamed up with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Naga.

Which was also pretty cool, if I'm honest.
>>
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/glory-of-the-emerald-empire-legend-of-the-5-rings-quest.5552/

I know, SV, but it's actually pretty good. Being a Hida Bushi with astonishingly good luck at rolls in social situations is fun.

Also, custom backstory that diverges during the Toturi era, so the Toturi dynasty still rules, Daigotsu is dead, and the Spider were never a thing.
>>
>>44199493
The Kolat would be great if they weren't objectively wrong about their world's metaphysics.
>>
>>44199548
>Also, custom backstory that diverges during the Toturi era, so the Toturi dynasty still rules, Daigotsu is dead, and the Spider were never a thing.
You mean the Heroes of Rokugan alt timeline in the Imperial Histories book?
>>
>>44164794
Not gonna lie, I feel like the New Taint really fit Japanese spirituality a bit better than radioactive taint, though I'd have changed it that an evil enough action could "taint" a location unwillingly. I wish the Crab had evolved into less wall-focused demon hunters who had to deal with troublesome yokai and devils who defied the laws of heaven.
>>
>>44199583
Kolat aren't atheists, they just believe that the nations of man should be ruled by man, not semi-divine beings who are detached from the societies they rule over.
>>
>>44199616
I'd have to check, but I don't think so? Can't recall the Heroes of Rokugan details offhand.
>>
>>44167116
I think the Mantis work as a Great Clan because they shake things up and are a great dishonorable clan that isn't full evil or full of kolat bastards. They're selfish, which a lot of samurai in samurai stories are, but there isn't much room for in the original great clans.
>>
File: goyokin-l-or-du-shogun[1].jpg (27 KB, 551x357) Image search: [Google]
goyokin-l-or-du-shogun[1].jpg
27 KB, 551x357
I recently joined my first L5R game as a Kitsune shugenja. The GM has fucked with the setting a whole bunch, but as far as I can tell the only ways in which it's deviated from the norm is A: The Lion aren't retarded, B: The Spider clan doesn't exist, and C: There's a famine-propelled uprising making bullshit happen.

It's only a two-person campaign, and the other player is just as new as I am to L5R and is playing a Shiba bushi with the psychometry advantage. His dice tend to explode to insane levels (50 on a 3k2 test).

The only thing I'm having a hard time doing is dealing with how boring most of the Earth element spells are. The Air element seems to be more in line with what Kitsune do (with illusions and tricky shit), and they have a deficiency in it. Am I just missing something? What are some Fun! spells?
>>
>>44199691
>They're selfish, which a lot of samurai in samurai stories are, but there isn't much room for in the original great clans.
That's how everyone portrays the Crane, though.
>>
>>44199792
The Lion aren't supposed to be retarded, they just came across as retarded because AEG's writers were shit.
>>
>>44199616
The changes are based off of the GM's RL campaign. His PC is the head of the Minor Clan of the Wolf.
>>
>>44199845
>The clan the writers wrote as retarded aren't supposed to be retarded, despite all the fluff showing that they're retarded
>>
>>44199583
I once posted a big thing about how I felt that the cool thing about the kolat were that they represented the samurai's fear of the rising merchant class, and I wish we could go back to that instead of having more and more of them be samurai.

I still think so-you have plenty of places for samurai to indulge in skullduggery but the kolat are unique in being able to make you afraid of peasants.
>>
whats a weeb/medieval japan game where i /can/ play ninjas and samurais and mikos and kannagi
>>
>>44199801
Its been FOREVER since there was a decent Crane character, yeah. I kinda dug the one Crane magistrate who paired up with a Kitsuki and they had crime adventures.
>>
>>44199845
Also because they're the Clan whose role is to fight purely human threats to the Empire when every major threat to the Empire aside from that time one ship's worth of gaijin brought gunpowder with them has been supernatural.

So in practice, the Lion are kind of pointless. They exist to cause civil wars and get their shit ruined in every event.
>>
>>44199299
>intent
Yes exactly. It can be used as a term of endearment for non-blood-related males which is where things start to kinda break down.
>>
>>44200078
"bro".

There you go.
>>
>>44200096
If you say so. Not worth arguing over.
>>
>>44199933
That’s something that makes Rokugan different from the real world, when you think about it: reincarnation and your current status being the result of your past life's karma are an objective, observable fact, instead of something everyone has to take on faith.

If you want to really upset the societal applecart, you'd have to demonstrate that this isn't happening and past virtue has no relation to where your soul ends up in this life.

So the Kolat should probably be focused on proving that's the case.
>>
>>44200120
>objective
Yes.
>observable
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda. It's like proving general relativity by switching on a GPS. Yes, there is a relation, no, most will need to take your word for it since they lack the perspective.
>>
>>44200209
Hence the need to develop magic with which to track souls across generations and see where they end up. And magic to call up memories or abilities from past lives.

Also, within the Kolat itself, the ability to make sure that when a Kolat member dies their reincarnation inevitably joins the Kolat and can have all of their old memories and skills reawakened.
>>
>>44199929
Actually it's more like
>all the fluff describes them as being the most adaptable and practical clan while still maintaining balance with tradition and upholding the virtues of honor and justice, but they always end up doing retarded shit in the story because the writers use them as a crutch because they're shitty writers
>>
>>44200120
Well "observable" is an exaggeration. The average peasant doesn't know that the Lion can talk to their dead, and every other Clan has a much harder time talking to ancestors.

Plus the promise of a happier future isn't always that powerful when you're starving NOW.

I just like to play the major threats as being attacks on the samurai class's identity; the nothing as being forgotten, the kolat as the rise of the merchant class, and the shadowlands as becoming unclean. Its a nice thematic shortcut for me.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (18 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
18 KB, 1280x720
>>44200381
>some parts of the fluff describe them as one thing but in practice they're retarded
>>
>>44200381
I always saw them as competing with the Crane to see who has the biggest stick up their ass about honor. And as militarily inflexible when not dragged kicking and screaming towards innovation; if you want adaptability in stand-up warfare, you go with the Crab or Unicorn.
>>
>>44200411
Here's your reply.
>>
>>44200604
How you see them is wrong. And not an uncommon perception thanks to shitty GMs and /tg/ers not knowing how the clans work.

Akodo literally wrote the book on deception in warfare, and adapting to new foes has been their thing since forever. They developed anti-cavalry tactics when the unicorn came back, and they acquired a Yodotai book on warfare and tactics and developed strategies both utilizing what was within and how to counter the Yodotai's tactics (a potentially great plot thread that was completely dropped, again). Before L5R died they were even getting heavily into naval warfare to counter the Mantis.

The Lion are far from as bad as tg makes them out to be, but then again so are most of these clans that tg likes to shit on.
>>
File: Kuchiki.Rukia.full.1693368.jpg (614 KB, 1300x900) Image search: [Google]
Kuchiki.Rukia.full.1693368.jpg
614 KB, 1300x900
>all dose people jonesing for a game
Uh.
Would there be interest in a YuYuHakusho/Hunter x Hunter/Bleach-inspired L5R campaign? Theoretically speaking.
>>
>>44199935
Sengoku.
Bushido
Land of the Samurai/Ninja (two different books) for Runequest
D&D's Kara-tur setting
SIFRP actually makes a fucking GREAT Feudal Japan game with some appropriate changes to account for the different setting.
GURPS Japan (personally I recommend Low Tech+martial arts+Sengoku for fluff)
That one Burning Wheel splat I forget the name of.
Riddle of Steel/Song of Swords

There are actually lots, most of them older games that are no longer published, but these are my personal recommendations.
>>
>>44200796
Depends on whether it's text or voice. I usually prefer war/political games but I'm perfectly fine with this too.
>>
>>44200759
I think a more diplomatic way to put it is that the ideal Akodo adapts to his enemy, while a failed Akodo refuses to see the nature of the battlefield.

Like all of the clans are cool, but you've gotta leave room for the fuck ups too.
>>
>>44199935
You actually can in Rokugan, but it's not quite explicit. Ninja """don't""" exist (Or "Ninja" don't exist or Ninja don't "exist", depending on who you ask). Miko and Kannagi exist by virtue of not explicitly not existing. There are lots of mentions of "lesser priests" in relation to shugenja, and most shrines are maintained by the locals, who are often just pious peasants (Which can mean pious peasant girls in bright pants).
>>
>>44200894
Exactly.

tg's L5R community just tends to have a massive hateboner for the honorable clans and a massive boner for the less-honorable clans. Not realizing there's room for both those aspects in all the clans and more often than not their perceptions of the clans, in either direction, are grossly mistaken.
>>
>>44200919
Pretty sure miko are explicitly said to exist.
>>
Great clan Mantis supporter here.

I haven't read the story team's shit in a long time, and honestly don't miss it. Been in a long running game for about five years now, we've mostly taken everything from where Nasaru takes the throne and from there, to understate things quite a bit...we diverge from canon.

Then again, most Yoritomo are pretty bro tier toward the other families and support the other Minor Clans when they can...so I suppose it's easier to like them as run by my GM, since I get the feeling they aren't portrayed like that often.

Either way, kinda hoping Spider and the old storyteam both get the boot by the new FFG overlords.
>>
>>44198833
>Let's be honest, even looking at the book/PDF kinda counts as weeb corruption already so might as well go all the way..

Yes but it's like using 'thou' and 'thee' in dnd.

>>44200115
>If you say so. Not worth arguing over.

Hey words are cheap, everything is worth arguing on the internet :^)

Using family term for non blood relatives is hardly unique to non Asian culture. In fact I think it would be be hard to find a culture that doesn't use terms like Sister or Brother or Aunty in a non literal sense.

The different is the meaning of these terms in the west is diluted to with Familiarity and over use, The term 'Bro' is just as likely to be use as sarcastically as a term of endearment. Japanese honorifics have not.

Personally it's think it better to use 'Context' of the words being use rather then the "content'. I prefer have the players address their Samurai Master as 'Mister Miyagi' or over 'San Miyagi' because they know he's their better and can tell the term 'mister' is being using AS an honorifics in this context.

TLDR: Show don't tell. Use load word honorifics if you want. But not in lieu of establishing chracter ties. Especially if your players don't speak Japanese.
>>
>>44202261
Okay maybe "bro"'d be better for 'aniki" but my point is, yeah, sometimes it works better in English. Especially when you're doing it in text. Every group's a bit different.
>>
>>44202261
I find it easier to just use the honorifics than try to adapt western words.
The difference between "Mister Miyagi" the guy you're addressing because he's a guy and "Mister Miyagi" the guy you're addressing because he's your boss isn't as clear as the difference between "Miyagi-san" and "Miyagi-sama".
>>
>>44202411
Each there own. Personally thing think it's unreasonable to expect the player to know or internalising the different. Especially if there more subtle way to get the idea across. But if it works for your group do it.

On that subject I wonder if these any Japanese player base.
>>
>>44202411
But what we're getting at is there are ways to convey the nuance of another culture's etiquette without gratuitous use of their language. If you can't do it, that's fine, but that's still a problem with your writing... Er, GMing.
>>
>>44202495
L5R is completely unheard of in Japan.

To be totally honest any Japanese TRPGers I've shown it to found it laughably bad, but that's just my own personal experiences.
>>
>>44202519
Adding in a bunch of extra words and titles onto each and every character isn't as effective as adding a tiny, simplified title onto the end. Using family names is more formal, using personal names is for people you're familiar with or are maybe insulting.
San is generic
Kun is for youngish or very athletic males
Sama is for people above you or people you're asskissing
Chan is for very young children or youngish women who you are familiar with
No title is for people you're very familiar with or people you're insulting.
Anything else is mostly not used.
It's really not that hard to figure out. The differences are important. Subtle social cues are a big part of the setting, which makes a more codified (And thematic) title system better. Using words from other languages where appropriate is not "wrong" or a problem. It's what people do if they aren't French.
>>
>>44202558
What about the card game? Nips love card games...
>>
>>44202649
There's perfectly viable ways to covey those nuances in English in ways that don't require players to consult a J-E dictionary or other reference material if they haven't already internalized it. That's the key point here. Unless already internalized using Japanese honorifics does nothing to enhance the experience and only adds confusion or pulls players out of the game as they have to go scrambling for their guidebooks to check if they've been insulted or accidentally insulted someone with the wrong word. Or, they could simply call their teacher NPC "Master Miyagi" and convey the same intent.

For clarity I'm not saying you're wrong, for using those words, just I feel like you're greatly overestimating their value.
>>
>>44202681
Nope. Nothing L5R has escaped the West. At all.
>>
>>44202779
And I think you're greatly overestimating the difficulty of figuring out a handful of short titles and the context of when you use a family name or a personal name.
Players have to have decent knowledge of the setting just to play anyway. If they don't do some research anyway, they're at a massive disadvantage. Even with a ton of hand holding and "If you do that, it will be very insulting to so and so" they won't have a good time.
>>
File: 1450074905876.jpg (657 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1450074905876.jpg
657 KB, 1200x900
>>44202839
>Players have to have decent knowledge of the setting just to play anyway

You think so? I think telling them 'think A Song Of Ice And Fire' but in Japan gets the idea across. At least enough for them to play it at least.
>>
>>44199973
The gunpowder was magical!
>>
>>44202991
I do think so.
I mean, if they're just imperial cartographers or bumpkin ronin then maybe they don't really need to know much. Anything to do with court requires a good understanding of how to actually act at court, what the clans and families are about, and what the political situation is.
>>
>>44199493
>4e conversion for 7th Sea

WHERE.
>>
People are complaining about Spider clan, but this summer a Mantis player used the story prize of Gencon to seal Yoritomo's divinity into a black scroll, thus denying him his Kami hood right before the game died, it was hilarious.

At least one problem is going away...
>>
>>44203336
IIRC by that point the Mantis were getting shit on so bad and the Spider were coming out smelling like roses regardless of the actual prizes chosen that there were a faction of players who said "fuck it, it doesn't matter what we do anymore" and decided to just troll the story.

There's good reason some of us are actually glad to see AEG sell off the IP.
>>
I'm in an L5R game myself, set during the Iron Dragon timeline. Explaining the plot would make even the most gonzo of /tg/ break out in hives, and to be honest I'm not sure I even could at this point, so I'll just list the characters:

My character, a Doji who got shipped off to Kakita artisan school for drawing a pornographic image of his mother. He didn't exactly learn his lesson, and despite having the highest Honor in the group at 8.1, is well on his way to becoming the Hugh Hefner of woodblock and poetry, and might very well be inventing bondage as a school of thought.

His cousin, a Hida, is absolutely unflappable, and deadpans all of ridiculous bullshit every one else in the party gets up to, but sometimes the party has to prevent him from taking the shortest path between point A and point B (which almost always involves a duel).

The tankiest Shiba, with some fuckoffretarded-high craft skill, built themselves armor that could eat a bullet for breakfast. Pretty quiet, usually off doing her own thing, probably for the sake of her sanity.

The Yasukiest Yasuki, also usually off doing her own thing, which is almost always "being greedy and audaciously-greedy enough that the DM lets them get away with it." Has the lowest Honor in the group and it shows.
>>
>>44202681
>>44202495
L5R isn't really very "Japanese" at all.
It was created in the 90's before the Internet and the advent of easy cultural research, and as a setting it's less like Japan and more like how people in the 90's thought Japan looked mixed in with fairly traditional western fantasy; the whole "dark hordes of hell" thing the Shadowlands is completely unheard of in Japanese folklore (Japanese monsters are scary but more like Fair Folk; some evil, some good, and some just weird) and is more akin to Mordor or Warhammer Fantasy's Chaos faction then anything else, and the way Clans are organized is entirely about making a CCG possible, not about logical politics that resemble samurai clan politics.

Interestingly, the Lying Darkness more strongly resembles the closest thing Japanese folklore has to a "devil" figure (namely Amatsu-Mikaboshi) then anything the Shadowlands spat out.
>>
>>44203689
You're just jelly that I managed to buy that town without using a single a zeni of my own money...
>>
>>44184297

It's not that hard to re-flavor the rules for a generic setting. Make the clans into provinces, with family bonuses just representing the variety of people found in that province. The clan schools easily become the favored fighting styles from their respective provinces.

The harder part is the shugenja issue. Fire, Earth, and Air magic can easily be ignored. It's Water magic that matters the most, as that's where the healing spells are.

I assume you have a copy of the L5R RPG on hand. Look at how damage works again. As you get hurt you accrue penalties, making it harder for you to hit the enemy while making you easier to hit. Think about that for a second. Without healing, a single round of combat can strongly dictate the course of combat. It easily becomes a vicious cycle of penalties. Healing magic can undo these penalties, thus breaking the vicious cycle.

There is one upside to having no Water magic.

Your players will learn to FEAR combat. I won't lie, some of my favorite campaigns ever were L5R games where the party lacked Water spells, so no healing in combat. We did everything we could to avoid combat, making actually talking you're way out of situations our preferred means of conflict resolution. And when combat became inevitable, it was tense.

If that's the kind of campaign you want, I think L5R could be just right, with minor tinkering.
>>
>>44203689
>drawing a pornographic image of his mother
Aspiring to be a literal motherfucker? Also, storytiem.
>>
>>44204083
Not that player, but I believe it was his step mother?

I'm playing the Yasukiest Yasuki and I've done many a thing that's had people get pissed at my character so much they tried to assassinate her with a cannon.

It did not take.
>>
>>44204083

He didn't lust for his step mother SPECIFICALLY, he just really likes drawing porn, the same way Nick Cage likes being in movies.

He sees (erotic) beauty in damn near anyone and anything, and has a whole lot of philosophical opinions on what exactly it means to draw someone e.g. getting penetrated by an octopus.
>>
>>44200401
Even that is up to debate

I remember the one thing from one of the books explaining the Rokugani legal system about a murder case where the Lion called up the ancestor spirit of the murdered man, only for the Scorpion defendant to reveal that the man was alive and well and had teamed up with him to test the veritability of the Lion shugenja who had been lording the words of the ancestors over the other families in the clan
>>
>>44204234

The Yasuki has done the following!

Won the Marksman's Gambit (A winter court tournament for rifleman and firearms), got into the Empresses' good graces thanks to her knowledge of Gaijin. Reformed the Imperial Beurocracy. Blackmailed people. Used the reformed beurocracy to secure a loan to let her rent a city with the option to buy at a fixed price in perhaps the greatest real-estate deal of all time. Insulted lots of people. Won the Marksman's Gambit again. Bought a fish sauce.
>>
>>44203336
Wait what? I'm not familiar at all with the card game. Are you saying winning players get to decide plot points for the setting?
>>
>>44205276
Yes. Well, it was a bit more complicated, and often happened in team formats.
Sometimes it was "If this clan wins, then X happens in their favor, if that clan wins, then Y happens" and other times it was "The winning player gets to choose a major that happens going forward into the next arc" and sometimes it was emergent, with the major plot points being defined by wins and losses (A military deck from one clan beats a court deck from another, so a battle happens and the other clan can't do shit to stop it) and then the details filled in by the Story team.
It sounds a lot cooler than it actually was in practice, because some of the winners were paint huffers and AEG had a nasty habit of ignoring or rules lawyering their way out of wins that ran counter to their pre-established idea of how things should have played out.
>>
>>44205276
More or less that's exactly how the tournaments worked, yes.

That's why the metaplot is just a huge pile of nonsensical bullshit and why the RPG players commonly refer to plot points we dislike as "CCG fuckery" or similar.
>>
>>44205697
And they also made it really hard to counter their plans. I remember one tournament requiring a single win for one faction to triumph and almost a dozen consecutive wins for the other to have half a chance at maybe coming out ahead.
>>
>>44205697
Towards the end it was more like "Whatever clan wins, the Spider do something awesome."
>>
>>44205716
There's been more than a few times where the Story Team manipulated results or outright ignored them for various reasons. Most infamously some parts of the Race for the Throne events were heavily manipulated to prevent certain clans from winning (IIRC it was Scorpion who got fucked over), and pretty much everything after the Destroyers giving the Spider huge plot armor.

There's also times when story prizes amount to a whole lot of absofuckinglutely nothing or come back to bite that clan in the ass instead, like pretty much any time the Lion won, ever.
>>
>>44197839
>Let me rephrase that, it's like either everyone is an established group of IRL friends who aren't looking for new players, or subhuman filth.
Welp.
>>
>>44200861
>Depends on whether it's text or voice. I usually prefer war/political games but I'm perfectly fine with this too.
Would be text. I'm a verbose fucker.
>>
>>44200796
Well, depends on what you mean by inspired. Do you mean literally in one of those settings, or just a campaign about fighting supernaturals? Would the campaign be in Rokugan, or in another setting?
>>
>>44200796
>>44206476
Also, what day/times would you be running, and what's your skype/email so we can get in contact with you?
>>
>>44206476
>Well, depends on what you mean by inspired.
I mean it'd have certain key elements of them:
+You're (un)dead or at least touched by death
+There's clans and cliques vying for control of heaven
+You're trying to remove ghost kebabs wherever you find them while hoping your unit doesn't throw you under the bus.
+You're somewhat similar to the monsters you're fighting.
>or in another setting?
80s anime Japan, i.e a katana & neon (is that a term? It is now, on any count) type of aesthetic, though for good or ill the organization is HILARIOUSLY backwards in its ways. On one hand, outdated customs, on the other hand, FUCKING MAGIC.
>>44206520
[email protected]
I will regret this, won't I?

Before you get too excited: I'm very much a newbie to this, but the lack of games is too frustrating to not cope with in some way.
>>
>>44206687
It sounds to me like your game would probably do better with a system like BESM or OVA than L5R. L5R is a pretty lethal system which is less about being a supernatural badass and more about being a normal dude with some formal training. BESM and OVA do a much better job of hitting that over-the-top anime feeling than L5R.
>>
>>44206687
Very much this: >>44206751

Not to bash your setting, because going full oldschool 80s action anime sounds like it'd be a blast, but the L5R system is nowhere EVEN REMOTELY NEAR the kind of system you'd want to use for that kind of game.
>>
>>44206751
Mutants and Mastermind's "Mecha and Manga" splat could also work really well for that kind of idea.
>>
>>44162023
/tg/ is not a person retard.
>>
So, how important is it to know the setting's lore if you want to GM an L5R campaign? Because I think I may have an idea for a campaign, but my only experience with the setting is a 3rd edition campaign I was in a while ago that stemmed pretty far from canon.
>>
>>44206751
>>44206782
Right-o. I'll need to reconsider.
>BESM
Tri-Stat is... weird.
>OVA
Did the second one ever come out?
>>
>>44206852
Lore as in the canon history? Not at all important, it's actually better to just throw the shitty canon history in the fucking trash where it belongs, it's what virtually every good GM does.
>>
>>44180632

FFG going to spam Spider non stop as well

Their aren't enough old players left to justify the wasteland hordes going back to what it was unless they do that event were they bring all the dead people back again from the 90's
>>
>>44206885
They'll have to actually do something with the IP first.

How long are they just going to sit on it before they say something, ANYTHING, about what their plans are with it?
>>
File: 2VUs9VV.jpg (161 KB, 767x994) Image search: [Google]
2VUs9VV.jpg
161 KB, 767x994
Oh hey, an l5r thread, haven't poked my nose in one of these for a while. I guess FFG got the rights? Sorta interested to see what they do with the mechanics, the existing stuff felt odd compared to what I'm more used to.
>>
>>44206902
I'm amused that Paradox only took a third of the time to announce what they were up to. Still miffed it was them and not FFG to be honest.
>>
>>44206869
Alright then, thanks. I'll see what I can throw together then, if I do run it'll probably be in January when the holidays are over.
>>
>>44206902

True

I don't know whether to hold onto my old cards for old skool duels with my old players or sell them to get ready to buy FFG's output cause they literally aint said shit apart from we own the ip now.
>>
>>44206933
>I don't know whether to hold onto my old cards for old skool duels with my old players or sell them to get ready to buy FFG's output cause they literally aint said shit apart from we own the ip now.
Could be worse. They could have made like Paradox and been vague as fuck before essentially announcing they'd be rebranding everything, C&D bombing the FUCK out of every single urban fantasy IP that'd put up with their shit and splitting the studio in half for the next edition.
>>
Poking around the FFG forums apparently they plan on doing something with the RPG "someday" and they confirmed an LCG.
>>
File: 85895.jpg (52 KB, 220x282) Image search: [Google]
85895.jpg
52 KB, 220x282
>>44206988
Just vainly hope the reprint the GM screen, i want one and cant find it anywhere.
>>
>>44203336
There is more to that story. Initially, had another choice in mind, but on his way to gencon, his car broke down. Sealing Big Y's divinity was a bounty of 500$ that he direly needed to pay the repair bills.
>>
File: cover_l5rboardgame.jpg (256 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
cover_l5rboardgame.jpg
256 KB, 1200x600
Hey, does anyone have any tips for making enemy NPC's in 4th. The rulebook doesn't really give me anything short of making a brand new character from scratch.
>>
>>44206959
Woah woah waoh, what's this about C&D bombing?
>>
>>44208040
>Woah woah waoh, what's this about C&D bombing?
They spent several minutes whinging about how "the IP" had been "taken advantage of", they would "support creators by protecting their property" and how "anyone who couldn't see it" was "obviously not paying attention". So I think they'll be trying to start massive bitchfights with all kinds of people. Only to be beaten down like WW of old was in the case of Underworld.
>>
>>44208143
Oh okay so they haven't done anything yet. Phew.
>>
>>44208012
There was a PDF for generic enemies on the AEG forums, it might be still up.
>>
>>44208167
>Oh okay so they haven't done anything yet. Phew.
No, not yet. On the other hand they were implying they might possibly maybe officially support the Vaulderie mod.
>>
>>44208198
oh boy, more sabbat support, just what i wanted.

Anyway back to L5R.

How do you guys use the Spider in your games? My GM is sticking with the "weirdo assholes who justify being dicks by saying they're challenging the Empire." but also says he has no intention of overthrowing ANOTHER dynasty.
>>
>>44201060
honestly, a lot of the story team's story's are boring and dry.

if you go back and read some of the original wick/soesbee stuff, it gets better....faster when you read the other writers who were more amazing, but i can't recall their names.
>>
>>44208040
call me a fag...C&D? nani desu?
>>
>>44208525
Cease and Desist.
>>
>>44208525
It means cease and desist.

And also that you're a fag.
>>
>>44208466
I like a lot of individual story team stories. The colonies brought out a lot of good work; I liked the one that was just a unicorn diplomat accepting the fact that she's gonna have to dress improperly to keep from collapsing in the heat.

The planning was weak, with three dynasty shakeups in a row as the big plot twist and a ton of wasted potential mixed with ridiculous choices in the CCG.
>>
>>44199493
>>44203276
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE?!
>>
>>44208582
If I wanted to read old story stuff, where would I go looking?
>>
I almost got into the card game for this recently untill I heard the news FFG has plans for a LCG. Is it even worth getting the CCG set of cards or just wait it out?
>>
>>44208619
Dunno, might still be on the AEG site, or if they junked that, maybe the forums has an archive? l5R's fandom's been good at writing shit down.
>>
>>44208278
They are the result of a pact with the devil and get treated as such. Most clans in my campaign wait for their first mistake to give them a reason to consider the deal broken.
>>
>>44208620
I just recently got into the CCG and I think it's pretty fun. It's a nice change of pace from other card shit.
>>
>>44208619
http://www.kazenoshiro.com/
Here ya go.
>>
>>44208689
Cool, thanks
>>
>>44208178
Seems like the L5R AEG forums are gone. Welp that makes me sad.
>>
>>44208620

You might as well wait m8, if the LCG takes off people will be selling their old CCG's for dirt cheap and you can pick them 100's at a time for barely nothing.
>>
>>44208837
Wow, that sucks. I was following a game there I really liked.
>>
>>44162627
>They were going to have the Spider clan win and take over the empire, time jump to 50 years of so and start again with the clans ruled over by the Spider clan.

Thank god I have quit when they first started blatantly pushing the spiders and cheating every contests for them. So fucking sad that the rich world built by soesbee, wick and rich wulf got turned into a bad spider/daigotsu fanfiction by carman
>>
>>44209736
Fingers crossed for FFG rewinding the clock on all of the stupid shit that went down over the years.
>>
>>44209807
I'm hoping that they bring it back to a more generic time for their core set. The idea of an LCG is that the core is everything you need and all of its expansions, well, expand on that. In a setting like this, the best way to do that would be to set the core in a very "normal" time period where all the clans are on roughly equal footing and have their typical viewpoints and goals. Even if that involves the Spider (Let's face it, they'll still be around), it should be when they're at their Spideriest, when they have free reign to terrify the colonies.
>>
>>44209885
I still think the colonies, as much of a WASTE of the Ivory Kingdoms setting as they were, were a great way to shake up the clans and force them to try new things.

just, y'know, god forbid there's a l5r arc that doesn't end in a huge civil war.
>>
>>44210030
Civil war or a bunch of heroes beating up a Shadowlands badguy.
>>
>>44209736

End of Celestial, right? When Ornatov & co were owning for Shadowlands, then Spider suddenly started not only winning all honor contest, but winning first, second and third places too in the same contest.

The biggest joke was that they robbed the Imperial Heir from the Cranes with that, but also in a megagame where the underlying theme was making sacrifices for the Empire by weakening your clan or getting your clan stronger, the Spider got both, as the story team announced that given that the Spider gave so many points for the Empire their clan will get extra reward. I was like what the Eff. Every other clan was just punished when they gave points for the Empire (which was kind of the point), so the favoritism couldn't have been more blatant
>>
Iaijutsu dueling in 4th was weird to me. If someone doesn't roll high enough to strike first.. the duel is over and considered a draw. That is such a weird freaking rule.
>>
>>44210895
It's a lore thing more than a mechanical thing. Since duels are often a matter of honour or of determining wrongdoing, Fate takes an interest, and if neither duelist is able to cleanly strike the other after sizing each other up, it's thought that Fate has intervened and the matter should be dropped.
>>
>>44211198
Ah, i see. i was starting to think i was missing some rule or something.
>>
>>44210120
The Heirs were also a joke, they spent the entire year trying to make players believe their input mattered. The Spider heir was progressive, the Anti- spider heir was Traditional. Through out the year the progressive clans destroyed in the card game and managed to win the winter court, pretty blatantly making the progressive heir win. But that woukdnt have led to the Spider turning super evil so AEG decided to make the majority of the contest decided by a metric no player knew about and literally just picked the anti spider heir just to make their onyx plot happen and made any promises of the heirs meaningless as they were doomed to lose to the spider anyway.

Everything from celestial to the end was overall pointless as in the end the Spider win.

Funny part is that if the progressive guy won the Spider would have remained loyal and never would have shit on the empire.
>>
>>44203098
>Anything to do with court requires a good understanding of how to actually act at court, what the clans and families are about, and what the political situation is.

For the chracters yes. But do the players really need to know full the ins and out?

As long as you're not being 'that GM', intentionally setting up situation for the players to fail because they didn't know a bit of Court etiquette their characters reasonably would I can't see the problem.

Doing some like saying the lord demand a dual becuase the player didn't he remembers to say he takes his shoes off is on the same level as saying the player left all his gear back in the inn.
>>
>>44208616
Why would you want to? 7th Sea runs on entirely different conceits than L5R, a direct conversion would be shitty at best. The biggest thing is the wound system, 7th Sea characters are waaaay more durable than L5R ones and many of the techniques and knacks have no real equivalent and many even would be beyond OP in L5R (I'm looking at you Pommel Strike).
>>
>>44213239
It gets even better. It was later revealed due to card previews that it was basically all just show, and that the plot was already written. Either way, the spiders would have been punished. Seiken or Shibatsu was all just show to give them time to prepare for Onyx, and give the writers some time to play catch-up with the CCG. The whole thing was rigged from the getgo. We just chose the name. Nothing else mattered.
>>
>>44162023
I still have piles of cards all the way from first edition. I'm moving soon so was thinking to sell them but now I read about the end of the CCG I'm thinking it's all gonna be worthless?
>>
>>44162023
We used to until our gm bailed
rip moto doug ;_;
>>
>>44210120
>>44213239
And this is why most of the non-Spider fanbase ended up quitting the game, which unfortunately also helped in making the Spider the dominant faction.

FFG would be crazy to keep all these events canon, as they're half the reason the game tanked and AEG had the sell the IP.
>>
>>44215229

How big is your collection from First Edition/Clan Wars? I... might be interested in that.
>>
>>44215229
There will probably be a short spike in value as diehard fans try to fill out their collections, but prices will probably plummet after that.
>>
>>44215536
All Minor Clans Game set in Ryoko Owari?
>>
>>44216107
Holy shit I was in that game, played over IRC, right?

Shame it died. I wanted to see where it was going.
>>
>>44216107
>>44216162
no it was over roll20, not even sure if it got started or not
>>
>>44216107
>>44216162
You're thinking of something else, MotoDoug ran over Roll20 and just up and vanished after the first session. Shame, too, it seemed like a decent group.
>>
>>44216214
I wonder if it was the same dude or someone from that group, then.

We played like 3 or 4 sessions before the GM bailed.
>>
New thread?
>>
>>44216162
I just did some checking, I found my old character sheet, that wasn't moto doug, it was shinsei's smile. I didn't get to play as my schedule didn't line up with the group's but was going to play an Ox. When I popped in one day the game was gone, but one of the members of the group said the GM had a work change and had to call the game.
>>
>>44216271
We haven't even hit the bump limit yet. Frankly, I'm surprised we're this far, really. Most recent L5R threads barely pass 200.
>>
>>44180469
That's not how you spell Togashi.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.