[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Campaign based on show
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 35701_rwby.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
35701_rwby.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1080
/tg/ what is your experience with games being placed in a setting based on a tv show/anime/movie etc.
Does it depend on the dm? the players?
Does it depend on the system?
What other factors would go along with a campaign based on this principle.

My friend wants to run a campaign in pic related, but I feel it will be more of a one shot rather than a campaign.
>>
Playing in a game based on a cartoon tv show. I think it depends largely on both, but a lot on the DM to understand the source material, the system and how to properly translate it to a tabletop game format.

The system is also obviously important, but a good DM can work with most any system presented to them. As for other factors, I think it helps if everyone is at least a little familiar with the source material. Probably one of the biggest things though, is the consideration of the canon material. The DM on their own or with the players, need to decide how closely the game follows the source material, and how (if at all) the canon will play into the game.

Is it a game that follows the canon plot but with different characters? Does it take place concurrently with the canon and the real characters are present but not the focus? Does it simply use the setting as a framework, and the canon and real characters are either abandoned completely or simply exist "someplace else"? These are important questions.
>>
>>44146687
>a little familiar with the source material
>canon material

that does make a lot of sense for everyone to know the lore of a world before they play. on all the other questions however I have no idea, my buddy just said that hes gonna make a campaign based on it and that the characters do exist, and that's about it unfortuantely
>>
>>44146875
To that first point, it can be a major help to have a wiki for the source material handy, to easily answer questions or confusion.
>>
>>44146595
>TV Show
Depends on the show, the fanbase, and the type of fan the GM is. A Star Trek game can be awesome or awful (It's usually awful if canon anything starts to show up). Actually, most sci-fi is about the same way. Never played anything or really heard about it for crime shows, which are my favorite genre.
>anime
A GitS campaign playing beat cops or something? Genius. "Cute girls doing cute things and magically beating bad guys I guess"? Never really seen it go well.
>movie
Find a GM, find enough material for a proper Mad Max movie marathon, and find some cocaine. You'll do fine.
>>
It depends on the level of circle jerk your group is comfortable with. Because shoe horning you and your friends' favorite gooktoon into a system is going to get circle jerky very quickly, and it won't stop until the game does, i speak from experience.
>>
>>44146595
I find a good distance from any canon events is a good idea. Collectively agreeing on a tone before anything else is very important though I personally thinks it's important for any game. Familiarity with the world is nice, everyone should watch the source material if possible but one should also be cautious that no-one get it in their heads to slaves to established rules.

I just finished GMing the first "series" of an Avatar campaign using the Avatar World system, ask me anything.
>>
>>44146595
I had been planning a campaign for RWBY, plan was to get 8 people, and alternate between two groups of 4 week by week.

System was going to be a locally sourced game that was made and published by someone I know.
The art in the book is shit but that's because it couldn't be published with the original art which was just pictures from anime.
Basically it's designed so you can make any kind of anime-esque game in it, so would be appropriate for RWBY.
>>
I'm in a long running game based on the Nanoha anime universe, and it's working really well. The GM takes inspiration from the canon but builds on it and makes the setting his own, focusing on events outside and apart from the canonical stories, but still using the same themes and ideas. It's very possible, and can be very fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 775x502) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 775x502
>>44146595
>RWBY
I've had no experience with that sort of thing
>>
>>44150897
You're not missing much. Flaccid combat, dumb storyline, bad animation, and a whole host of other problems. It's stupid animu bullshit at its finest.
>>
>>44146595
Well, this is better than the time someone came in, said "Let's make a RWBY RPG. Go! Go! Go!", and immediately started throwing terms like "berserker" around, even where it made no sense whatsoever.
>>
>>44150967
I only ended up watching the first episode or two before losing interest.

On the topic of the thread, I don't think any DM I've grouped with ever used a tv series/game's setting. Even in a game of PTU, we used a custom region
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.