[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People that shouldn´t play /tg/ games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: hqdefault.jpg (60 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
60 KB, 480x360
Dear /tg/,

ave you ever played with people that shouldn´t play pen and paper games ? That guys, normies or other scum ?

I am in the middle of a Call of Cthulhu-Game with some of the most annoying people that I have ever witnessed. My character is so close to just shooting them and ending the game.

Will be back with more
>>
File: 1449512507062.png (114 KB, 567x387) Image search: [Google]
1449512507062.png
114 KB, 567x387
>>44134147
>normies shouldn't play

I dunno, I've had good experiences with my rugby team so far. I've ran a couple of simple campaigns with them and they seem to have a lot of fun, their sense of wonder and surprise is both endearing and entertaining.
Still, I wouldn't recommend you playing with anyone, only with those that you know that are nice and will have fun. If you invited your highschool bullies, it was your mistake.
>>
>>44134147
>ave you ever played with people that shouldn´t play pen and paper games ?

Yes.

Me.
>>
Sounds like you're the problem there OP
>>
File: 1440689359840.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1440689359840.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>44134375
>>
>>44134147
What's wrong with normies? The ones i played with actually were enthusiastic about their characters and knew how to actually have fun instead of playing out of spite.
>>
Maybe I am the Problem. Its just that i was really looking forward to this game and it just transformed into clown shoes
>>
>>44134147
Normies are fine. It's the fuckers who read the 1d4chan on Old Man Henderson and nothing else you need to watch out for.
>>
Anyone who only plays chaotic characters should just go back to playing video games.
>>
>>44134506
I guess maybe not everyone has the same definiton for normies, or the ones you played with were actually cool people, on the other hand, the ones i've played with barely cared about anything that was going on, spent time checking their phones and complained about a lot of pointless stuff, or maybe I'm just a shit GM, I dunno.
>>
Okay I kind of killed my character and now the game is more interesting
>>
File: Abby.jpg (58 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Abby.jpg
58 KB, 250x250
>>44134918
>the ones i've played with barely cared about anything

Yeah, those aren't "normal people," those are millennials.

Folks with absurd entitlement issues and self-indulgent "lifestyles" equal parts ignorance and apathy did not exist until very recently. It's been my experience that most of those (86% according to one informal poll) who unironically use buzzwords like "normie" are usually too stupid to comprehend just how stupid they sound to others. Poor things.

Also, get offa my lawn.
>>
>>44137301

speaking of buzzwords, isn't "millenials" just an easy way of saying "person who didn't immediately lick my boot, so i assume they have brain problems"? that's usually what i see when people try to argue that uninterested teenagers are a problem generation.

like, if you're trying to push something on someone who doesn't care, who lacks the capacity to say no and not feel bad (as many teenagers do), of course they're gonna just use their phone the whole time hoping you get the message.

There's some part in their brain that'll learn them how to not do that any more when they're older, but until then, it's a symptom of a bad situation, not a cause........
>>
OP here, holy shit..I am that problem player..The one that the DM´s hate...shit I new there was a good reason I was never a PC.

Damn do I feel like an asshole

>>44137301
I just used "normie" as shorthand for "person that usually doesn´t play PnP-RPGs but ruins the game for other players"
>>
>>44138848
Actually, I´ll let /tg/ decide:

DM invites female friend to session. Said friend brings her boyfriend. This guy antogizes me the whole evening in and out of character. Never played any tabletop but thinks he is still King of shit mountain. I finally have enough and decide to kill him just, so he may leave. Session actually becomes interesting..Afterwards DM tells me I ruined her story
>>
>>44139031
>DM invites female friend to session. Said friend brings her boyfriend.
The DM, the female and the boyfriend deserve to be stabbed in the face. Especially the female.
>>
>>44139031
How did you kill him? Please tell me it was subtle, so he can't blame you for it.
>>
File: lizzie face.png (209 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
lizzie face.png
209 KB, 600x450
>"Make an attack roll."

"Okay. That's the D20, then?"

>"...yes."

"And what do I add to it?"

>"Base Attack plus Strength."

(looking up and down character sheet) "And my Base Attack is how much...?"

>"...six."

"And that's the strength modifier, then, or is it the strength score?"

This is a reasonable conversation to have with a new player, and I realize that Pathfinder isn't the most intuitive system and it can become math-heavy in later levels, but when I need to go through this exact conversation 1-3 times per session after you've been playing for a year, it makes me want to stop fucking inviting you. I've had two different players who're like this, but thankfully never together.
>>
>>44138222
Fun fact, mellinials are now in their mid thirties. People complaining about them tend to be ignorant mellinials.
>>
File: mellinial.png (13 KB, 702x249) Image search: [Google]
mellinial.png
13 KB, 702x249
>>44139384
>>
>>44139384
>>44139458
D is for lysdexia.
>>
>>44134147

I hate to say this, but if you have a speech impediment, you probably shouldn't play PnP.

We had a guy in our group and I had to kick him, because he literally could not speak a coherent sentence. I'm not even sure what it was, he didn't stutter or anything, but he kept substituting nouns with adjectives, and it was really hard to understand.

>I open the door

Would be something like

>I pull up the wooden space blocker.

Even simple things like trying to figure out who he was attacking often took 3-4 question and answers. It was horrible.
>>
>>44139117
Call of Cthulhu: PCs are working in a museum with some artifacts that react to blood. My character is an undercover cop, the others are criminals. The boysfriends character berates my character all the time but I stay calm because undercover Cop. I lose most of my SAN (started at 40) and my character begins talking to himself that he needs more blood to get out of the situation..So he pulls a gun on the other PCs, since in his eyes they are just worthless criminals
>>
>>44139667
Maybe I was also on edge since this was the first time in a long while that I got to play. I am usually forever-DM. And then this asshat shows up
>>
File: 1273028124191.jpg (122 KB, 375x390) Image search: [Google]
1273028124191.jpg
122 KB, 375x390
>>44139653
>be me
>be 2015
>be trying to pull up the wooden space blocker
>DM doesn't understand how important this is
>Party members don't understand what's going on
>Be unable to pull up the wooden space blocker because DM is too confused
>mfw am defeated by the wooden space blocker
>mfw have to go find something else to pull up and hope for the best
>>
>>44137301
>uses the term millenials

Opinion dropped. Go home, old man, these clouds never did anything.
>>
>>44134147
A man who purportedly spent FIVE HOURS of game time, arguing about Action Economy.

There's a thing that makes this so absolutely fucking annoying. This guy has played D&D (exclusively) for years, and he still hadn't figured out "DM is the Final Word in regards to rules." by this particular game.
>>
>>44134147

Oldfag reporting in.

Once, way, way back, early 80s I think, I was at a DnD convention where I ran into a small knot of people, comparing various dungeons they built. In particular, there was this one-upsmanship over who could build a better "deathtrap room". All the old, hackneyed setpieces, collapsing ceilings, acid pits, innocuous looking objects that exploded, etc.

Most of them operated on a "well, if you read my mind, you can get through unscathed", with little rhyme or reason as to how to survive, or even why such a heavily trapped room would exist, but no party going in blind would stand a chance.

When it was my turn, I just said "Yeah, there's this room. You step in, you die. No save. Within an hour, the room's magic dissolves your corpse and any equipment." I got an entire room of people booing about how unfair I was and what was the point. To be honest, I think anyone who didn't get it should be banned from refereeing, at the very least.
>>
>>44140126
>Boo that's unfair
>What about the fact that your death room contains nothing but save or die explosive marbles that rain on top of the party unless they perform a traditional dance and song as soon as they enter?
>Uh, that's different!
>>
>>44134147
>That guys
Yup. Fuck them.

>Normies
Hell fucking no. PnP RPGs are a social activity, and normies are actually social. I would much rather have normies than autist nerds playing this shit.
>>
>>44134147
Why are you putting spaces before your question marks?
>>
>>44140203
Same. One of my favorite players was the most normie normie to ever normie beyond the fact that he was also a bodybuilder. He still talks about the Eberron campaign he took part in like it was the most fun thing he ever did.
>>
>>44140276
Oh shit one of my normie friends that joins me is a Bodybuilder, too! Him and his brother actually enjoy Delta Green a lot. Being normies they describe it as "CoD with monsters"
>>
>>44140425
We called ours "Muscle Nerd" because of how much the fucker loves fantasy in general and Eberron in particular. That and "Golem" because of his ability to do mindless tasks for hours on end without tiring or getting bored.
>>
>>44140203
>>44140276
OP here,
Most of my players are normies and none of them have disrespected my as much as this one asshole. I actually like having normal people around, I think it comes down more to respect.
>>
One dude I played with was kinda weird. He wasn't into any fetishes or anything, but whenever we hunted in-game for food and were gutting the animal he'd go great detail about the procedure of field dressing the animal and then dragging the carcass back to camp and how he's slowly take the knife and begin to slowly skin the carcass and pull off all of the little chunks of meat for the fire.
>>
>>44140481
>I think it comes down more to respect.

Oh, absolutely. Doesn't matter what clique they're from or what activity you're doing, if there's no respect, nobody's having a good time.
>>
>>44134147

My favorites:

People who have to take time out of every Call of Cthulhu game they play in to remind the rest of the group of how racist H.P. Lovecraft is.
Every week.

Micro-alpha-males who take the initiative of putting themselves in charge of the group when not GM'ing, and talk over you or shut you down every time it's your turn to talk and do things.

People who hold a grudge against you for double-crossing them in a game of Paranoia. Because PVP is never acceptable in rpg's, not even in games designed for them, like Paranoia.

People who call the GM/DM/referee the "Story Teller", even if it isn't a White Wolf game.

Now, I'm not a perfect person, so I'll go ahead and add myself to the list:
People with chronic sleep problems. I have fallen asleep at games before. I'm not proud of it, but I do have health issues. It's not as much of a problem when I'm playing with fun groups that keep me engaged though.
>>
>>44134147
>People that shouldn't play /tg/ games
>People that shouldn't play traditional games games
>>
>>44140228
I just noticed this, and now it really bugs me. I don't think... I've ever seen someone do that before. It's kind of... really goddamn annoying, actually. I think I might be autistic.

>>44140054
Rules Lawyers generally ignore rule 0, since it makes all subsequent rules unneeded. Generally their rationale is something like, "Well, I'm not arguing about how it works, I'm just saying this is how it's SUPPOSED to work... but if you say otherwise then what you say goes of course... ;^) "

>>44140126
Some people have hardons for complexity moreso than rational puzzles or actual gameplay. If your death room was a giant rube goldberg machine that ended in instant-kill and had no saves involved or chance to survive, they'd have loved you.
>>
>>44140776
To be fair, Lovecraft was almost AMAZINGLY racist. Not just your normal, almost quaint 20th century racism. He was more like, "People who aren't like me aren't human. They're some kind of lower species, and their existence is a threat to me, personally, and they will destroy my civilization. I'm surrounded by these creatures. I am alone."

It kind of explains a lot, actually.
>>
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I bring you... TIM! Believe it or not, I actually played with this motherfucker.

http://imgur.com/a/SS1Q2/embed#0
>>
>turns out someone we thought we had killed wasn't dead
>DM you're a faggot

Like, are all plot twists something that the DM pulls out of his ass or is there a thin possibility that we didn't actually search as thoroughly as we should have?
>>
>>44140554
Sounds like someone showing off how much he knew about the details of subsistence hunting. Just like there's people on /tg/ who can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about armor designs of the middle ages, or just how much crap you can hang off the rails on a M4.
>>
>>44142014
And part of what makes it a good place to passively lurk.
>>
>>44139126
this was me today, to be fair though the guy picked up on it pretty quick considering it was literally his first game
He unfortunately played chaotic neutral in the standard murderhobo fashion. I talked to him about it and he said he'd take his murderhoboing more seriously, actually roleplay the mad wizard he's created. So we're going evil campaign and having fun with it
all in all, I'm not entirely sure what to think
it was my first session as a GM, I assume it's all my fault for not explaining to him that you can't just go around killing people for fun, even if they do have loot
>>
>>44141956
Same guy here and I have to say, I wasn't even at the session in question, the DM told me about it afterwards and I'm pretty pissed. Is it me or is complaining when something goes wrong a shitty thing to do?
>>
>>44138222
They just get a lot if shit because of how dependant they are on electronics. Some don't really deserve it I think, but all the rest do of course
>>
>>44140472
>>44140425
My DM is a bodybuilder and he's brought in pretty much all the biggest guys from his gym. they all fucking love d&d for some reason
>>
>>44141956
That's pretty stupid. if the party ever leaves an enemy at exactly 0 hp, I usually roll death saves for them and have them become a recurring character if they pass.
My party enjoyed beating down "that fucking orc in full plate armor" every time he showed up, and he kept coming up with new ways to escape each time
>>
>>44141135
Yeah, but he still died almost a century go.
The people I have a problem with are around today.

If H.P. Lovecraft's writings are such a corrupting influence full of diseased and wrong ideas, then people should stop indulging in them. Or they should stop clutching to feelings of resentment towards the dead man responsible for their entertainment.
It's like... the sanctimonious hipster who spends all his time playing Call of Cthulhu and whining about H.P. Lovecraft? The problem is inside of him. He isn't doing anything about the problem; he is in a state of being the problem.
>>
I knew a guy who could not keep his fetishes out of the game (dragons everywhere), couldn't do basic arithmetic to save his life and whenever it was his turn the game would grind to an absolute halt. The DM had to put on the kid gloves to prevent him from dying with every action he took. Of course, he was also one of those people who didn't understand "attack bonus + d20" after a good 8 sessions in when the game fell apart due to him.

A typical round as an example (taken from the game):

"So you want to attack the guard in the middle of the town square, despite him being level 5 and you level 1, because he made fun of your lolita-goth clothing and umbrella."

"Yes"

"You're sure? He's gonna kick your ass and there's like a million spectators, and it's in broad daylight, so you're gonna be weaker since the whole vampire thing."

"Yes"

"Alright, roll for initiative"

" What's that?"

"1d20 + intiative modifier... yours is 4, right there."

"But I didn't roll yet."

"No your modifier is 4"

"so I rolled a 4?"

"No your modifier is 4, roll a D20 and add the modifier..."

"Ok... I rolled a 11... so that means I have 11"

"No, 11 plus 4...."

"11... 12... 13... 14.."

"15"

"Oh right, so I go first?"

"No he's 4 levels higher than you are, and has better initiative and rolled better."

"That's not fair, what did he roll?"

"Doesn't matter, he won."

ETC ETC

The game was hell.
>>
>>44140554
He's trying to teach you how to survive on your own, I mean my god man haven't you ever read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>>
>DM:"You all get attacked by cultists wielding powerful dragon blades"
>After battle
>"I loot the blades"
>DM:"Uh they are rusty now and don't work"
>"But how was he doing damage if they are rusty?"
>DM:"Fine the blades disappear in a poof of magic"
>>
>>44143520
We had a player like that, minus the dragon fetish. He missed several sessions and then decided to start a fight with another PC who was 2 levels higher than he was. Died in one turn.
The sad thing is he won initiative, and after looking over his character sheet after he left, we realized he could have easily won the fight if he had tried to understand how his class worked.
>>
>>44141135
>Lovecraft was almost AMAZINGLY racist

That... actually isn't exactly true. Yes, the racism he expressed in his stories was to that degree, but it was pretty exaggerated for the sake of, you know, horror. And even then it certainly didn't stop him from marrying a jewish woman.

People love to shit on Lovecraft because he was a blatant, admitted, and unashamed racist, but it was a different time. It wasn't right, but nothing about his racism was amazing or overwhelming given the period in which he lived. It was of the pasty terrified nerd variety, and in that regard, his cosmic pessimism, his Schopenhaurer-esque assertion and actual belief that human life wasn't worth anything, was a lot more atypical. A humanist Lovecraft wasn't.
>>
>>44141451
sounds like a fun guy to play with to be honest
>>
>>44143520
>Lolita goth vampire lady with frilly umbrella

How come I never get to play with these people
>>
>>44140776
Who gives a shit if they call DM's "Story Teller's" I just call every DM a DM even if we're not playing DnD
>>
>>44143747
Because you're a lucky lucky son of a bitch and I want your life.
>>
>>44143574
He should have given you the blades, but had them do san loss every time they tasted blood. That'd have been cool.
>>
>>44141451

>Tim

I remember him. Really though, I can't believe he's done a single thing that he says he has. Except maybe shove things up his ass.
>>
>>44139653
That's not a speech impediment per se. It's pretty vague, but from that description it's either
1. some kind of aphasia
2. a way to work around a stutter so severe that when you get stuck on a word you can't get it out for love or money, or
3. he was being a dick on purpose.
>>
>>44134147
I'd rather play with "normies" than with people that get so angry about the right way to play a game.
>>
>>44134147
I've been playing PnP in asylum (mental hospital) before, the patients actually made better group than the people I normally play with. Except for the klepto, klepto was a cunt.
>>
People who won't shut the fuck up.

Played with a guy(?) once who could not stop talking on other people's turns out when we were trying to do something.

For example, the campaign started with us on jail. He (?) spent so much time describing his(?) character that it took 20 minutes before we could make any attempt to leave the room.

Followed by another 20 minutes to actually get the door open because he (?) kept doing something so "wacky and randumb xD"whenever someone that wasn't him (?) tried to speak.

When we finally did get out, steal our starting gear, and get into a fight, combat took almost am hour because, once again, he(?) kept talking until I eventually had to yell at him (?) to shut the fuck up so the DM could hear a fucking word im saying.

He lasted one session before we just let them know not to bother adjusting up next session.

Didn't help that half the shit he kept interrupting is with was talking how girly he is and holy shit being a girl now it's so great, and by the way have I mentioned how I have boobs now?

Wanst even a convincing tranny. He looked like he just stuffed a pair of balloons in his shirt, and kept getting genuinely offended when I called him a guy.
>>
File: why.jpg (114 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
114 KB, 323x454
>>44150349
>guy(?)
>he(?)
>his(?)
>>
>>44150724
Tranny. Insisted he was a girl, but he was basically a guy who looked like a guy, but looked like he stuffed his shirt with balloons
>>
>>44150349
Normally I would object to this kind of insensitivity, since I am friends with a very decent transgender woman irl and I am aware that the initial transition phase is rather difficult.
But this... If they're such an idiot about it, they deserve all of the flak they get.
>>
>>44143043
Ever been to /fit/? Most people there are like me, fat nerds their whole lives who decided to make a physical change. They became bodybuilders sure but they're still nerds inside
>>
>>44143043
man, I would love to have a d&d team of bodybuilders. Maybe then I could break out of skeleton-mode.
>>
>>44151448
I just want to meet qt3.14 /fit/ grills. I wonder if those would like to play d&d too
>>
File: I-Sense-Butthurt-75000244666.jpg (102 KB, 552x350) Image search: [Google]
I-Sense-Butthurt-75000244666.jpg
102 KB, 552x350
>>44134375

this.

I never know of anyone who shouldn't engaged in any hobby.

I only know whether I want them in my group or not.

Usually after a talk or two during their first session to realign their expectation of tabletop gaming is more cooperative storytelling and less personal wanking fantasy with perverts cheering them on, they usually come around.

I and my group have our taste, if you don't like it, feel free to find another group of your own.

Same with any hobby like video games and reading books, everyone got their own taste and there's nobody not allowed to engaged in it.

Whether you want to give those people with opposing opinions your time and attention is your own issue. So deal with it crybady.
Not others.

Or what? You want the government to arrest anyone that hurt your feelings?
>>
File: A8ai7PI.png (326 KB, 1200x1332) Image search: [Google]
A8ai7PI.png
326 KB, 1200x1332
>>44153479
I had one I got into lifting because she thought I was cute but she was a total hamplanet. Now she's a musclegrill and amazing, but moved across the country.
>>
File: 1423929078167.jpg (76 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
1423929078167.jpg
76 KB, 600x637
>>44154367
Damn. You can still play with her through roll20, can't you?

Also, what was her character like? help an old Anon out, you just lived my life dream and I don't think I'm gonna make it, brah.
>>
>>44137301
>everybody born after the year 1980 is shit
God, you're a cunt.
>>
No such thing as people who "shouldn't" play games. If they have the interest, then we should be teaching them, not mocking them.

That said, I came close to giving up on one dude in a campaign I was GMing. He had zero experience with tabletops, which was fine. His only frame of reference for "roleplay games" was World of Warcraft, which was fine.

However, not a session would go by where he didn't tell the party that they should look for an "instance" so they could "grind". He would also nag me for his next "ding", and frequently attempt to start a petition for more loot.
>>
File: 1443026573632.jpg (33 KB, 345x194) Image search: [Google]
1443026573632.jpg
33 KB, 345x194
>>44150349
>kept talking about being a girl

Every single tranny ever, jesus christ shut the fuck up youre lucky im tolerating you and your mental condition civilly
>>
>>44140203
I tend to judge "nerdy" hobbies by the absolute minimum level of social engagement necessary to participate, so to me /tg/ shit (PnP RPGs, card games, wargames) are probably the most normie nerd hobby there can be.

Lots of video games are single player, and you don't actually have to talk to other people about the comic books you read, but there's no use for your MtG deck, your 40k army or your freshly-generated barbarian if there isn't someone else there.
>>
File: 1448869161690.jpg (64 KB, 576x489) Image search: [Google]
1448869161690.jpg
64 KB, 576x489
>>44155851
>I tend to judge "nerdy" hobbies by the absolute minimum level of social engagement necessary to participate, so to me /tg/ shit (PnP RPGs, card games, wargames) are probably the most normie nerd hobby there can be.
>>
>>44155903
It's not a judgment, it's just a fact. Sitting around a table and talking is way more social than reading a book.
>>
>>44155928
Reading books is also far more sociably acceptable than toy soldiers and play pretend
>>
File: 1448865037327.gif (1021 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1448865037327.gif
1021 KB, 500x484
>>44155928
>I judge
>It's not a judgement, it's a fact
make up your mind anon
>>
>>44140812
this
>>
>>44155965
Social acceptability is the x axis
Social engagement is the y axis
Books have positive X value, negative y value
Toy soldiers and play pretend have positive y value, negative x value
Collecting has negative y value, x value changes depending on the thing you collect (Classic cars? Positive. Classic toy cars? Negative.)
>>44155993
Sorry, didn't mean to use the same word like that. The first time, I should have used something like "gauge", as in a meter or a sliding scale
>>
>>44134147
>fucks who metagame/rollplay when the group is mostly roleplayers
>>
File: autism.jpg (47 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
47 KB, 500x415
>>44156041
>>
File: 1435771652454.gif (953 KB, 330x300) Image search: [Google]
1435771652454.gif
953 KB, 330x300
>>44134147
>normies
It sounds like your that guy. I prefer average people who aren't 400lb neck-beards in my game. It's especially gratifying to see them get into their characters.

That being said, I absolutely, will not, and NEVER, accept weebs to my table. Most of my groups are mid-late twenties and the games tend towards the grimdark side of things. I will not tolerate some fucking faggot weebmiester trying to make his favorite animu charachter and then getting all butmad when said charachter isnt treated like (or is powered like) a marysue. Plus,
>NO, Katana's are not lightsabers, they were basically about as effective as most other curved swords only more brittle
>NO, you cannot have a weapon 8 times your size and wield it effectively.
>NO, no one cares about your 12 page backstory that is always about some shitty self actualization crusade to either A) avenge someone or B) because no one believes in you
Die in a fucking fire weebs.
>>
>>44134918
>or maybe I'm just a shit GM
Found your answer breh. GM'ing is hard, and it takes years of practice to be actually any good at it.
>>
>>44156151
Shit son seriously?
I mean it definitely takes experience but that seems a bit much.
>>
File: smug.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>44156134
>>That being said, I absolutely, will not, and NEVER, accept weebs to my table
>Most of my groups are mid-late twenties and the games tend towards the grimdark side of things.
>Die in a fucking fire weebs.
buttmad/10
>>
File: 1433837603935.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1433837603935.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>44156241
Yep, Ive been DM'ing since I was 15, I am 26 now. For my first 3 years or so I was breddy bad. Unless your like GM savant most decent GM's have been doing it for like 5 year minimum. If you really think about it being a GM means you have to keep 4-5 people entertained and engaged for multiple hours on end.
>>44156261
Extremely mad, I will never spend another minute of my life explaining to some zitfaced sperglord why the Katana isn't a supersword.
>>
>>44156241
Not really. If you can't captivate your audience, you have GM issues.
>>
File: Glorious+nippon+steel.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Glorious+nippon+steel.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>44156299
>why the Katana isn't a supersword.
fuck off gaijin
>>
File: 1447810573472.jpg (25 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1447810573472.jpg
25 KB, 625x626
>>44156342
nope.
>>
>>44156299

Yeah I can see what you mean. I'll be a DM for the first time in a few weeks and I look forward to creating a good experience for my friends, who are first timers.
I guess I shouldn't expect it to go perfect, but I hope they'll come back for more.
>>
File: 1440452121664.gif (3 MB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
1440452121664.gif
3 MB, 343x400
>>44156506
Well gud luck bro. Running a game is like having sex, the first time you do it is always awkward and exhilarating but ultimately clumsy. With luck youll get allot better at it with time, though some never do.
>>
>>44156582
>Running a game is like having sex, the first time you do it is always awkward and exhilarating but ultimately clumsy.
If things continue to go as they have, I'll never do either ;_;
>>
>>44156727
My fellow fa/tg/uh go get /fit/ and the lady's will come to you.
>>
File: 1441512161391.jpg (206 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1441512161391.jpg
206 KB, 850x850
>>44156506
Good luck senpai. If you are not satisfied at what you managed to accomplish last session, aim to do bigger and better next time.
>>
>>44139653
>making stuff up to seem more interesting

It's anonymous why lie?
>>
>>44140425
>>44140472
Then they aren't really normies are they?
>>
>>44139653
>I hate to say this, but if you have a speech impediment, you probably shouldn't play PnP.

This is a sad one.

I've played with two players in separate groups who have had a stammer, and both times it hit the point where someone said:

>"Look, you're not a bad player, but your speech impediment really slows the game down. I'm sorry, but we've agreed that it's better if you stopped playing."

It is awful and awkward but it does slow down sessions and ruin the fun for 3-5 other people when one player spends upwards of a minute saying a simple sentence like, "I hit it with my sword."

And I'd sit and suffer through it, so thank god for people more confident and/or horrible than me.
>>
>>44143574
>Be barbarian in 5e
>Fighting against pirates and captain on ship
>DM wants us to knock pirates off ship using push moves as they have way too much HP, basically a mechanics tutorial
>Pirate boss has a cool shape-shifting hook weapon that he hauls out from his treasure chest
>Spend all my potions, buffs, and other shenanigans to kill him on the ship to get that hook
>"The pirate's hook was actually magic and disappears, sorry you don't get it"
>Despite the wizards' detect magic ensuring we were on a mundane ship

I feel you.
>>
>>44141135

He was truly ahead of his time.
>>
>>44143574
I get why newer editions say this. I mean, you might as well loot the scrap metal from the walls if you just want to make money. It's worth more than a few scimitars.

But if they're special weapons, fuck you I'm taking them. Although it doesn't help that the ogre's greatclubs are better than regular greatclubs. They deal more damage. Is it the ogres? Is it the clubs? Can I comfortably wield them? Do I use the same damage dice? 2d8 but with a -2 penalty? Fuck yeah I'm taking that.
>>
>>44157590
>le ebin voicegames over le internet! social engangamentz! :D:D:D
>sozzy yuo no speak gud so we kick yuo out! :D:D:D
>text es 4 fagz! boice gayme or else! :D:D:D
>look how SOCIAL we are!! :D:D:D:D

You're the kind of animals who should have their hands chopped off so you never roll a die again. Fuck you, and fuck every single one like you.
>>
File: muh phone call.jpg (20 KB, 320x152) Image search: [Google]
muh phone call.jpg
20 KB, 320x152
>>44134147
>play with normies
>don't give two fucks about characters
>get into fun shenanigans
>no moral compass
>don't worry about character choices or ridiculous backgrounds
>don't rule lawyer
>don't deliberately try to come up with the most 'lol random' convoluted characters and ideas possible
>just old fashioned spells and swords and spooky shit
Play with /tg/
>loud and obnoxious because no social skills
>so invested in characters they throw a tantrum at the smallest risk of death
>constantly trying to undercut GM
>no hygiene
>shenanigans are forced 'lol guise let's do weird shit' adventures
>lack of real world sex life leads to horrifically awkward PC seduction rolls
>more willing to spend half the game talking about off-topic shit or various editions and stats therein that mean nothing to half the group than actually play

Normies are the best to play with.
>YFW some of the most fit, successful, and socially adept guys you know used to play on the regular in high school and you never knew
>>
>>44140776
>have problem with racists
>appreciate good literature
pick one
>>
File: cool story, s'wit.png (13 KB, 494x506) Image search: [Google]
cool story, s'wit.png
13 KB, 494x506
>>44141451
Good lord I suddenly feel much better about my group dynamic
>>
>>44143642
Just wanted to point out this is kinda wrong.
Lovecraft was shockingly racist for the 1920's. Letters from his racist pal Rob Howard go like;
>You are a very good friend to me, Howard. One thing I don't understand is why are you so racist?
>your friend
>Howard
He would spit at observant Jews on the train, when most normal racist people would either pull up their newspapers so they wouldn't have to look at them, or move to another carriage. He called his cat Nigger (lol). I guess that's not so abnormal but his letters, both to and from him, show the depth and pathology of his racism.
>>
>He would spit at observant jews
>He called his cat nigger
You can really only appreciate the depth of lovecraft's satirical writing when you realize that all of his abominations were just metaphors for Jews

“It was a colossal and nameless blasphemy with glaring red eyes, and it held in bony claws a thing that had been a man, gnawing at the head as a child nibbles at a stick of candy. Its position was a kind of crouch, and as one looked one felt that at any moment it might drop its present prey and seek a juicier morsel."

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxILVYQpTOo
>>
>>44158406
These were sat at a table. Both players slowed the game down for everyone. The first guy liked to do jokes, but often that meant pausing the game and everyone sitting in discomfort while he said a one-line quip that took 30+ seconds to get out. I wouldn't mind that in a text game, but at the table it meant everyone sat in uncomfortable silence while he got the words out.

On the flip side I have played in a group with an autistic player who really came out of his shell. Went from stuttering and really inappropriate jokes to one of the best players I've ever RPed with.
>>
>>44158670
And the Portuguese. Had something against those folk as well.
I think it was Innsmouth where he was like
>...obscene rugose fish-eyed faces, much like the Portuguese...
>>
>>44134147

>normies

Fuck off with this. Being an anti-social sperglord doesn't somehow make you superior to people who are well adjusted. And by that token, just because someone can function in society doesn't mean they don't "deserve" to join our super special nerd club.

The "normie" distinction really just needs to die.

In short, OP, the only person I think shouldn't be playing these games is you if you think players' social lives dictate their worthiness to be in your games.
>>
>>44158566
Well you also have to remember he was probably at least a little on the batshit crazy side, insanity didn't run in is family it galloped.
>>
>>44159386
>Normie
is a totally elitist and really stupid thing to say. Anyone who legitimately says 'normie' is probably not worth hanging out with.
I spend some time with some of the kink community kids in my city and they've started saying 'normie' to refer to people who aren't in the kink community. I've alienated some of those fuckwits for calling them out for being elitist idiots and for telling them there are many people who are kinky but don't attend kink events. Probably because the majority of the kink community are assholes.
>>
>>44159605
While I agree it's stupid to use that term disparagingly, don't you think it's useful to have a term for people who are NOT in a niche community?

Would you have felt as bad if they said "non-kinkers" or something instead? I mean, that's what "normal" people are.
>>
>>44159792

>don't you think it's useful to have a term for people who are NOT in a niche community?

Not him, but no, I don't think it's useful at all to have a term for people who aren't in the community unless members are stuck up and elitist. All it does is further the idea that being a part of that community is some kind of status thing, and makes it easier for people to disparage anyone who isn't a part of it.

This is especially true for people who play ttrpgs. Playing D&D isn't a lifestyle choice, it's just a game. You don't need a term for someone who *doesn't* play D&D because literally anyone can play it. It's not like you have to be born with enough nerd genes to know how to roll a d20.

Tabletop games are a social hobby, and excluding anyone who doesn't normally play them just makes it more likely you're gonna be grouped up with assholes. I care more about whether a player is a nice, productive person and a team player than whether or not his girlfriend is hot.
>>
>>44139126
>people who have a hard time grasping a delicate string of numbers and just want to play should not play

holy shit could you be any more of a fucking faggot
>>
>>44160073
>delicate string of numbers
>literally basic addition and subtraction
holy shit could you be any more of an idiot
>>
>>44160098
the delicate part enters when a player is kinda slow or doesn't have a firm grasp on the rules so they don't remember what and what you must add and substract, like the situation that anon described

plus you're probably talking about basic entry-level DnD when there are games with more interesting settings but the systems are way more complicated, a player needing reasurance even after playing for a long period of time isn't something that rare

hell even in DnD you get different lists of dice to roll for each basic spell if you play a mage or a sorcerer or whatever, how is the regular player expected to remember each and every one at all times?

stop being a faggot
>>
>>44160395
>implying i implied you're the same person
>>
>>44160016
>>44159792
I would much prefer they used 'non-kink' or 'outside of the community' or some other word, yes.
The person saying 'normie' knows nothing about these other people. On /r9k/ it's otherizing and solidifies their pathetic self-inflicted emotional distress. In the kink community it means that whomever is not part of the kink community for whatever reason are excluded regardless of what they enjoy in the bedroom.
The idea that there are 'normal people' and 'people like us' is a pretty backwards way of thinking about things. It's the same logic that stormfags use regarding black people. You ever heard a racist say 'oh, but Negro McNiggerson is alright, he's not like the others'? Same nonsensical tribalism.
>>
File: chainsmoking.gif (980 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
chainsmoking.gif
980 KB, 480x360
>>44160073
He said "after you've been playing for a year", and that's the part that makes it reasonable. Of course a new player won't understand a system right away, and some people might take several months, but assuming it was a fairly consistent year of play anyone should be able to remember a god damn basic attack roll.
>>
>>44134147
>people that shouldn´t play pen and paper games
That's pretty much everyone on /tg/
>>
File: 1 laugh is the highest i'll go.jpg (17 KB, 559x556) Image search: [Google]
1 laugh is the highest i'll go.jpg
17 KB, 559x556
>>44158406
>>
>>44141135
>"People who aren't like me aren't human. They're some kind of lower species, and their existence is a threat to me, personally, and they will destroy my civilization. I'm surrounded by these creatures. I am alone."
Are you implying this isn't true?
>>
>>44139653
One of the most fantastic STs I have ever had the pleasure of gaming with had a RIDICULOUS stutter. It was a little annoying, but everything else about him was glorious.
>>
>>44158406
Found the stuttererer
>>
>>44160855
I have a pretty good GM with a pretty bad stutter. They can't help it, and we all have our flaws.
>>
>>44141135

It always fucking annoys me when people start shouting about how Lovecraft was, like, the biggest racist ever, the ultimate racist, racist like you wouldn't even believe.

Lovecraft wasn't "amazingly" racist to any degree. He was a casual racist who was, at best, vocal about it. Lovecraft exerted no active effort to act upon his racism or undermine and/or harm people of other races.

You know who's amazingly racist? Someone who beats up or otherwise abuses a person of a different race because they're of a different race. You know what's not amazingly racist? Someone who writes rambling passages about how dem darkies are some sort of subhumans.

Lovecraft was racist on the level of a fucking internet troll, and the only reason his racism comes off as strong is the fact that he expressed it eloquently and extensively and was in the position where it was visible.
>>
>>44160984
This, "racist" is saying you hate niggers.
Racist is beating them up because they're niggers.
>>
>>44160543
I would have used an SJW analogy myself (cisgender/sexual) but yours works just as well
>>
>>44160984
Lovecraft always seemed more afraid of hereditary mental illness than muhscegenation
>>
>>44160543
>You ever heard a racist say 'oh, but Negro McNiggerson is alright, he's not like the others'? Same nonsensical tribalism.
But Biggers are pretty much universally shit. The exceptions are few and far between.

Then again, most people are shit too.
>>
>>44160984
>Someone who writes rambling passages about how dem darkies are some sort of subhumans.
You know what's not amazingly racist, but pretty classist? Automatically assuming a racist would use the word "dem" because racists are of course never articulate, educated fellows such as yourself.
>>
>>44139835
kek
>>
>>44158411
underrated post
>>
>>44139653
A lesser complaint that I have is people who speak slowly. These people just annoy me in general, and it's not like they shouldn't or can't play /tg/ games, but I hate just sitting there and waiting for them to work through a sentence.

I know it's petty, but it just grates on me.
>>
>>44160254
One option that comes to mind is a kind of cheat sheet.
I had a player who was pretty new to DnD so she had a sheet she kept that said stuff like: "Basic atk roll= XdY + Z" etc. Helped her a lot and made it so she slowed the game down less with questions.
>>
>>44161230
saying 90% of black people are shit is pretty worthless when 90% of every race is shit.
>>
>>44161395
Actually it's more like:
Niggers: 90%
Non-oriental gooks: 60%
Oriental gooks: 40%
Snakbars: 80%
Non-Mexican Latinos: 30%
Mexican Latinos: 99.999%
Whites: 50%
Slavs: 99.999%
>>
There was this one guy who played with my old group from back when I lived in a different city a few times. He was the kind of neckbeardy-as-fuck NEET who seemed to embody the whole fucking concept, with absolutely no social awareness, terrible personal hygiene, disruptive (but not out of hand) game behaviors and really, really creepy borderline-fetishistic views of "fun".

He would consistently roll characters with no actual function, only caring about how "cool" or "wacky" they were, and then suicided them in the most retarded ways possible. Sometimes got strangle obsesses with monster penises and cutting them off and carrying them with him. Had absolutely no awareness of the actual group. Took special glee in describing in vivid detail how his character in a Shadowrun campaign killed a whole police station and then raped and mangled a scientist who betrayed them, and then did creepy magic shit to transform him into a pig and made sure that he was raped by pigs for the rest of his life. Just... no awareness or care.

Wasn't much better as a person. He was the kind of guy who once showed up to a game drunk (in the middle of the week, afternoon), claimed he was just hungover, and actually brought beer with him to keep chugging. This in a table with a kid in it (related to one of our players, so it's ok). And stuff like that. Smoked weed and got into trouble with cops now and then, and generally just wasn't fun to hang around with.

He dropped out after getting into a big argument with the DM (on multiple occasions) about how he should be allowed to play an evil dorf in a D&D campaign where we specifically agreed that there wouldn't be evil character. I'd see him on the street sometimes, and he'd walk up to me and start talking about some random game thing.

If you recognize yourself from this, guy, then I'm sorry. I know your life had a lot of problems, but Jesus, it was terrible to see you game.
>>
File: 1431643110191.png (1 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
1431643110191.png
1 MB, 1920x816
>>44141451
>>
>>44161578

Post the rest of these, please. Post the Mr Rogers one.
>>
>>44161572

Should be noted that seeing this guy in the group had a special extra badfeels bonus for me, because I was in a shitty place in my life at the time and going through a lot of problems, which meant I was basically a NEET myself. Might be presumptuous, but I totally feel like I know where he was coming from with all his fucked up, zero-social-graces stuff. And that just made it worse, since I felt like I could almost emphatize.

Sometimes, after games, I stayed awake and stared at the ceiling, wondering if I'd end up like that guy. Sometimes, it felt scarily probable. Just lose all grasp and stop trying to get back up in life, and then just slowly lose all normal perspective. In a weird, fucked up way, that guy actually made me try harder to fix my life. Kind of like scaring an alcoholic straight by showing them a fucked up bum under the bridge or something.

It was a sad thing, all around.
>>
>>44161395
>black "people"
>>
>>44156041
Did you by chance go to college for this?
>>
>having to listen to retards yammer about basic bullshit over skype during the session
>'but voice chat is faster and it's like you're really at a table with them!'
i'm not sure i'd want to be at a table with any of these people
>>
>>44161726
Not really, I only minored in Graphical Hobby Analysis. My major was in Elf Studies.
>>
>>44141451
Dear lord, this man is the ultimate edge. I'm bleeding from simply clicking the link.
>>
>>44143168
This

Lovecraft is racist, but that didn't change how much I enjoy his writing.

>died almost a century ago

Thats one of the reasons why it doesn't matter what he says in his books. Racism over this century and others before it are pretty well documented and known. I don't think him calling a cat "Niggerman" and referring to all black people in a bad light (black... bad light... ) is going to cause any problems today.
>>
>>44141451
This is the type of person you should just nod and go "Yeah, uhhuh" at while not paying any attention. Anything else is a waste of your time and resources.
>>
>>44158411
The downside not mentioned here is that that playing with normies is also pretty boring and uneventful.

As in, it will certainly be pleasant, but nothing to write home about. I'm not even sure this is a criticism.
>>
>>44162257
Wouldn't say all normies are boring and uneventful to play with. Some are for sure, but so are some non-normies too.

Think my favourite match ever was with a big group of normies who had never played before, and about 2 others who had.

Figured there were too many people to run a campaign so I just threw them all in this dungeon and had them duke it out. People teamed up with others, all the "normies" were getting into it and having fun. One thing in that game I'll never forget:
>This one normie girl's druid summoned an owl, and flew it over to the two guys who had played before
>One of them was a bear
>The owl flew at the bear
>Bear grapples the owl
>"I try and rape the owl"
>girls face just drops
>didn't know the rules exactly but just said
>"okay, i guess you have to roll two more grapple checks to pin it then rape it probably"
>succeeds on both
>rapes the owl
Pretty sure that scared that girl away from PnP for life, but it was pretty funny.
>>
File: 1431640747144.png (92 KB, 485x432) Image search: [Google]
1431640747144.png
92 KB, 485x432
>>44161632
>>
File: 1431604440369.jpg (73 KB, 719x405) Image search: [Google]
1431604440369.jpg
73 KB, 719x405
>>44162413
>>
>>44141451
>all that bullshit about guns
>literally wrong in every way about how body armor works
>ALL THAT WRONG INFO ABOUT HOW THE MILITARY WORKS

I want to strangle him so badly
>>
>>44160073
If after a year of playing a system you don't understand how it works that's on you, no one else.
>>
>>44159605
>I spend some time with some of the kink community kids in my city and they've started saying 'normie' to refer to people who aren't in the kink community.

Why? The term vanilla is almost universally understood.
>>
>>44164897
Probably because it comes from 4chan and therefore adds to the secret-club allure.
>http://www.lewissociety.org/innerring.php
An interesting and pertinent read.
>>
>>44164897
If it's a fairly liberal community, they probably think vanilla might have some demeaning qualities to it - implying boredom or lack of flavor. Or they might think it might not be boring enough - vanilla is a distinct flavor, and they'd rather have it be something more like normal. Hence, normies, which probably jumped out at someone from internet memes flying around. Tumblr's already got a fair grasp on Pepe.
>>
>>44162386
Stat the offspring of those two.
>>
>>44160073
is it really so absurd to expect a 3rd grade level of literacy and math skills from an adult?
>>
File: large.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>44138848
>holy shit..I am that problem player..
Iktf
>start playing playing tabletop rpgs
>enjoy them greatly
>time to time get frustrated with GM
>One day GM calls out my bullshit
>kinda realize my shit but still angry at GM
>stopped going due to a combination of the above event and depression
>one day, after reflecting on those previous games I had with the group, I fully realized I'm THAT guy
>mygodwhathaveidone.jpeg
>try to better myself by reading a lot of stuff about tabletop
>actually play and run a few games with friends
>one of them is from the previous group and still plays with old Gm
>always ask him for feedback and helps me with my role-playing and Gming
>still remember previous group adventures and cringe at everything I did
>friend invited me to play with old GM group
> I refused
My shame is too great, I can't go back till I'm better.
>>
>>44143642
Not only that, but from most descriptions he seemed like a mostly ok guy despite his overt racism. He had quite a few penpals that he regularly wrote to and he had a pretty good relationship with a lot of writers that were also his fans and he would often offer critiques or even collaborate with them in a few cases. His racism also seemed to mellow out near his death so who knows what would have happened if he hadn't had died from malnutrition so young.
>>
>>44141451
>m1 garand is 7.62x51
No, no it's fucking not. It's .30-06.

There's nothing worse than people spewing shit like they know what they're talking about when they don't at all.

My condolences that you have to deal with this shit.
>>
>>44166216
There isn't actually anything wrong with being racist.
>>
>>44166216
Being racist doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. I mean, it makes you racist, and that's bad, but it doesn't make you an outright dick.
>>
>>44160073
>>44165738

its almost like teaching an adult addition on your free time is annoying or something..
>>
>>44134147
>ave you ever played with people that shouldn´t play pen and paper games ?

Yeah

You
>>
>>44141451
>lol wat image as his avatar

I think he's doing that on purpose
>>
>normies
Fuck off and go REEEEEEEEEEEEE elsewhere, OP
>>
>>44139126
I get that on 5e so imagine the quality of the player
>>
>>44150349
Holy shit, this reminds me of this one guy who was pretty much the same. Tried to join my Star Wars game but got assraged when this fat trenchcoat guy he was friends with kept "misgendering" him and stormed out.
Motherfucker if you look more like the fruitiest hippy to escape the late 60s than a woman you're gonna get that kind of shit for it, make a goddamn effort

He ended up getting turbotriggered and slapping a guy over the back of the head, making shitty Facebook posts acting like he was MLK for hitting a dude because they said bad things, and then being banned from the game club.
>>
File: Rejoice.jpg (90 KB, 497x493) Image search: [Google]
Rejoice.jpg
90 KB, 497x493
>>44134147
>ever played with people that shouldn´t play pen and paper games ? That guys, normies or other scum ?

I would never want to play with people from /tg/ in general, especially the kind of people who refer to everything they dislike in Fantasy as FETISH and HURR MAGICAL REALM
>>
>>44134147
>normies
I haven't played with you, and I thank God for that.
>>
>>44166622
To be fair he could be mistaking it for the m14 but still you gotta be a fucking minge
>>44165993
You should talk to your old gm, if you make the effort, even by reaching out, you might be able to turn your past mistakes into laughable anecdotes
>>
>>44166622
>>44167594
NEVER FUCKING MIND
I am unremittingly angry for giving him the benefit of the doubt but i couldn't even finish going through the gallery
>>
>>44140776
I feel ya with the sleep thing. I had a game last summer, ran at like 9-11 at night, and I worked 6-4 morning -> afternoon.

I fell asleep too many times, and I felt really fucking bad about it.
>>
>>44141451
>Yes I have listen to evry judas priest album easily 10 hour in a row wihout hating them

Yeah, I listened to that band everyone says they don't like and I'm a special snowflake because I don't hate them...
Good god, this guy is infuriating in more way than I can think of

>A single plant can make up to five pounds
2.26 Kg? Good luck with that, I'd really like to see how he'd manage to do it and how much the equipment would cost

>I went to college and might even be classified as higly dangerous and unpredictable
>Archeologist? Nah, fuck space there's nothing cool up there

I've never seen so much lack of common sense and understanding of basic physics and basic physiology
>>
>>44142139
How does the rest of the party feel about evilling it up?

Also yes, overstating "you can do anything, man, ANYTHING" is a leading cause in newbie murderhobos.
Ask him what he did first in any of Elder Scrolls games. Is it try to stab everything that moves and steal everything that doesn't right in the first city? If so, gotta explain in some more detail.
>>
>>44166712
This. My best gaming group I ever played with was stunningly racist.
>>
>>44167454
That's the Biting Pear of Salamanca, you uncultured swine.
>>
What people need to understand about Call of Cthulhu is that it is absolutely, unquestionably paramount that all players actually roleplay. Like, really get into character and play a role as good as they can. Table rules like banning OOC helps with this.

If there is no real roleplaying or it's half-assed, the Keeper can't really do his part well and that leads to shitty time for everyone. Call of Cthulhu is all about the characters and social interaction.
>>
>>44140776
Oh god, Paranoia.
It's now banned in my college group because some faggot sperged out and ragequit, upsetting a business meeting thing next door.

It was fun while it lasted though, Cameraman with Machine Empathy is amazing.
>>
>>44170433
OP here,

THANK YOU!! This guy had a pregen that was out of prison at 45 and was acting like he was 22..Telling his social worker to fuck off and stuff..The one guy that has kept him out of prison so far and just being a douchebag.
"Oh that mirror sucks blood ?? Lets smear some more on it FOR DA LULZ!! No I wouldn´t be scared of that CUZ I am so manly!"

Didn´t help that the Keeper is really new at it.

I apologize for the "normie" comment, but hey its not like /tg/ actually reads threads before posting
>>
File: 1394090681457.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1394090681457.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
SJW, unless they only play with each other, and even then, there's a high chance of them tearing each other apart.
>>
>>44170832
To be fair, when did he go into prison? It'd be interesting to have a character that acts much younger than he is because his life at 22 is the only thing he really remembers of the world outside the prison - his prison life being no longer valid.

Even something as simple as him turning on the radio and hearing some old song and acting like it's still a new hit could be interesting.
>>
>>44134147
Even for as much as your autism - yes, normies tend to piss me off quite more often than any other kind of bad players. I'm talking about not paying any attention, never reading rules, "lol it's just a dumb game, relax!" -types.

We all remember the MST3K-mantra, but if roleplaying is such a pointless activity why the fuck did you join the group? Besides banging the GM's girlfriend, I mean.
>>
>>44170832
bad players happen all the time.

A WHOLE HELL of a lot of people are just socially incompetent.

Arguably, role-playing is supposed to help with that. But some people don't want to get better and just want to have fun.

Cthulu probably wasn't the best game choice for him to play. It's important to get everyone on the same page BEFORE you start the story.
>>
File: 2puc.jpg (14 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
2puc.jpg
14 KB, 236x236
>>44134147

>tfw normie who reads /tg/ to not let my friends down after promising to start playing board games with them
>>
>>44171005
If you are not afraid of caring at least a bit about things happening around table and in people's imagination since that would make you a lolweirdo - well, you're a lolweirdo already, and therefore not a normie. You just pretend to be one to avoid ostracism.
>>
>>44170890
You could argue that with just about any political affiliation.

I remember one anon telling a story about a Shadowrun GM who legitimately believed that supporting the megacorps was the right thing to do. Something Ayn Randish, if I remember right.
>>
>>44140126
Holy shit, thank you.
I was reading some book of traps from the OSR threads and about half of them were just different ways of giving destroying entire parties. I remember reading the section on traps designed to go off if you used a 10 foot pole to, yknow, check for traps and just thinking "this is so mean-spirited, goddamn."
>>
>>44140228
Maybe he's French ?
>>
>>44166712
>>44166781
I know that, it's just that in today's modern world if a person was racist that means they're somehow worse than Hitler.
>>
File: 1425020755450.jpg (87 KB, 650x550) Image search: [Google]
1425020755450.jpg
87 KB, 650x550
>>44172784
No, they're as bad as Hitler. Because Hitler was a racist.

I think it's a problem that a lot of people would rather we had moved completely past by now. So being racist means you must be backwards or wrong somehow, filled with unconditional hatred that has zero logic or meaning. Is this true a lot of times? I can't really say.
>>
>>44171491
I support the mega corps because they're pretty much states in all but name, and I have an intense disdain for plebs.
>>
>>44170897
That is really good....but not even close to this player mind...

>>44170961
Well I didn´t plan it...If I would had been asked I had figured out that this guy was not really suited to start with CoC...But well new GM and her friends
>>
>>44165263
>If it's a fairly liberal community, they probably think vanilla might have some demeaning qualities to it - implying boredom or lack of flavor
If it's a fairly liberal community, that's exactly what they want to imply.
>>
>>44172846
>So being racist means you must be backwards or wrong somehow, filled with unconditional hatred that has zero logic or meaning. Is this true a lot of times? I can't really say.
What does it say when the people America thinks hate black people most are the ones who live where most black people live?
>>
>>44158566
>>44158566
>He called his cat Nigger (lol).

Pretty normal for that time. If that's your argument, it's a poor one.

But I'm getting pretty tired of this SJW crusade against dead racists. Especially when those fuckers will excuse any sort of awful person when it suits their purposes. None of those niggers will speak out against non-white crackpots, and it's obvious their motivation is racial and not humanist. When they did away with the Lovecraft Award, they didn't propose some neutral replacement. No, they proposed some nigger writer who has meant fuck-all for the genre, simply because she's a nigger.

I don't appreciate the lack of honesty, either. It's all pure entitlement. They bitch about getting an award connected to a racist. But they don't fucking refuse it, do they? They want to have their cake, and eat it, too. If you accept the award, you accept the goddamn award. No bitching after the fact. Hell, there was a dude who refused to accept it because he considered the bust to be a tasteless charicature. But fucking niggers can't do the same thing?

Fuck them. There is more pressing racism in the world than some dead guy making niggers uncomfortable.
>>
>>44178127
>None of those niggers will speak out against non-white crackpots
Ben Carson?
>>
>>44161395
Blacks are more shit than any other race according to every metric we have. I'm all for saying that this isn't some sort of genetic trait, but the narrative that everyone is equally shit is complete bullshit, and only held up because people consider it to be uncomfortable. And the biggest irony is that it's the #1 reason blacks will remain shit for the foreseeable future. There are even plenty of blacks who see this shit, and want it to end, but they get drowned out by all the idiot whitey's supporting loudmouth racist blacks who blame whitey for everything.
>>
>>44178127
I like Lovecraft's racism because I can look past it and like his cool stories and concepts, but it deters SJWs from liking them as well.
>>
>>44178293
SJW's make me glad that my favorite writers are all dead. The entire thing with "racefail" first, and then the Sad Puppies shit at WorldCon, it makes me lose all faith in modern science fiction and Fantasy. I can't even imagine how stifling it must be to work in that environment, and to have to rub shoulders with those totalitarian crackpots.

I get this idea that writers just used to be writers. They did their shit in a relative void. I mean, Philip K. Dick basically hated women because of his personal life, and it shows in his work. Eventually Ursula K. LeGuin called him out on it, and he examined his own work. But today, the poor bastard would be hounded to the ends of the world, and would get his work snubbed. Fuck, I bet they'll demand his name is no longer used for the award named after him in a few years, for exactly the reason I stated.

Art is meant to be critical. This means art is, by necessity, a thing of the fringes. But these people demand art become a hugbox, and all the "big names" championing this cause (G.R.R. Martin, John Scalzi, Charles Stross, etc. etc.) are marginal hacks compared to the classics. Because that's what you get when your personal politics start counting more than your actual concepts.

And I'd fucking read something that challenged gender or racial concepts. But that's not what these people want. They want safe crap they can feel good about, not things that ask uncomfortable questions. They want non-white protagonists, but certainly not something that actually explores racism. They want gender-fluid aliens, but not stuff that explores gender roles. And for that, I say fuck them.
>>
>>44178488
You sound mad, bro. And that's awesome; people are too apathetic in general. Add intelligence, empathy and reason and you've got a well-rounded person to make positive change to the world. , lol
>>
File: lovecrafttg.png (42 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
lovecrafttg.png
42 KB, 661x716
Time to post this again
>>
>>44178488
>and then the Sad Puppies shit at WorldCon,
That shit was on Jeopardy the other night
>>
>>44178488
I remember a friend of mine gave me a short story they'd written for a class, it was some space station shit but there were special snowflake personal pronouns out the ass with zero explanation of what they meant, as if I was to just accept it AND already know what was going on
That's the kind of audacity they have
>>
>>44178660
Hate to be a weeb about everything, but in Supernatural Horror in Literature Lovecraft speaks highly of Lafcaido Hearn and in particular the Kwaidan. This evinces that he had at least a passing knowledge of Japanese myth.
The ocean and its accompanying themes is a crucial part of New England literature and this too is reflected in Lovecraft's work.
His popularity in Japan comes from this connection to the ocean, which also is at the heart of its literary legacy. And it is very possible that some japanese ideas presented to Lovecraft in Hearn' work influenced Lovecraft's.
This is my Lovecraft Weaboo theory.
>>
>>44178933
Lovecraft wasn't a weeaboo, he was an Araboo.
He insisted he be called "Abdul Alhazred" when he was a kid, which if you remember is the name of the "mad Arab" who wrote the Necronomicon.
>>
>>44178828
The entire thing was embarrassing and made me lose respect for everyone involved. I lost faith in awards, and the Hugo in particular, a long time before this shit started boiling over, and I'm glad I did. It feels good to be right.
>>
>>44178660
90% of the Old Ones mythos isn't even Lovecraft. He hints at in here and there, but Derleth is the one that went fuckin' ham with all the crazy eldritch space god stuff.
>>
>>44179024
I'm not saying he was a weeb himself, he was more of an Anglophile, but I am saying that there is a case to say that there is a Japanese influence in his writings. I have yet to point to anything definite as I have not read the kawaidan extensively. It just makes me feel all right.
>>
>>44178660
>implying Lovecraft isn't an extended metaphor about 19th/20th century immigration by "sub-humans" (Italians, slavs, Irishmen).

You're literally retarded. Did you make a poopie on yourself again?
>>
>>44178905
Was it perhaps a stylistic choice, intended to communicate an alien mindset and make the reader feel less at ease with the world? Or was it a mystery to be solved later in the story?
>>
>>44179114
Literally not a single opinion in that pic is mine, anon.
Well, Howard is more interesting sometimes. But his writing is pretty bad.
>>
>>44178488
>>44178828
>>44179042
What happened? Sad puppies?

t. Anon under a rock.
>>
>>44179143
>But his writing is pretty bad.
I think his writing is well suited to his pulp fantasy stuff. I'm more used to weird fiction being written in Lovecraft's verbose style though, it creates a distinctive atmosphere.
>>
>>44179149
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad_Puppies
>>
>>44179149
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad_Puppies
>>
>>44179197
I like his flowery language but sometimes he takes it too far. Especially when he repeats entire sentences of description. Still, it conveys the atmosphere of old sword&sorcery pulp pretty well.
He does suffer from a case of "I'll name every place after some moderately obscure place from historical empires with the vowels switched around a bit" syndrome. Makes it a bit irritating to read.
>mfw Old Zimbabwei
>>
>>44179139
>Was it perhaps a stylistic choice, intended to communicate an alien mindset and make the reader feel less at ease with the world?
No, these were humans. It was just the future and we're on space stations now. The sense of unease came from the "fish out of water" idea that the protag was just new here.
>Or was it a mystery to be solved later in the story?
Nope.
>>
>>44179149
The Sad Puppies were a collection of science fiction and fantasy writers who felt that political ideology had become too prominent in the genres, and specifically in the Hugo Awards. They've been active for a few years, and they've recommended their own voting ballot, because the Hugo's are decided by popular vote. This year, the Rabid Puppies latched onto that, led by one particularly crazy dude with a large following, who pretty much took the entire thing over. Given that these people were much more conservative, and had much more pull, the SJW's blew their collective minds. As SJW's are wont to do, they immediately grabbed for the accusations of racism, and all the other stuff you know from them. The Rabid Puppies succeeded in getting a lot of their preferred stuff on the voting list, so the SJW's counter-rigged the voting to get people to vote for "No Award".

The entire thing was one big clusterfuck of hurt feelies, and the complete opposite of dignified, respectful discussion. And, of course, any and all self-reflection was completely lacking on the SJW part, who do perpetrate bullshit like making white people speak last at panels at WorldCon.
>>
File: 1383531745189.jpg (9 KB, 302x225) Image search: [Google]
1383531745189.jpg
9 KB, 302x225
>>44139653
This is a super late reply, but I'm really struggling with this exact issue right now. One of our players has a pretty awful stutter, and it usually takes him four or five tries to say a simple sentence. It really makes the whole experience uncomfortable for everyone, and slows everything way down, but I don't think I'm enough of a terrible person to kick him out because of something he can't help. I just wish there was a nice way to ask him to stop attempting to be the face of the party and give dramatic speeches, because it's always just super awkward. Poor guy, though, he really built his character around being very charismatic and influential.

God, I feel like one of those parents admitting they secretly want to kill their disabled child.
>>
>>44175580
Now I want to play this sort of character. It's like a mix of Shawshank Redemption and The House of the Seven Gables.
>>
>>44179356
>The Rabid Puppies succeeded in getting a lot of their preferred stuff on the voting list, so the SJW's counter-rigged the voting to get people to vote for "No Award".
This is basically the crux of it. The Sad Puppies' central point was basically that the Hugo Awards no longer meant anything because it wasn't about the art of writing speculative or genre fiction anymore, it was about who could be the most progressive. SJWs couldn't give progressive content or content creators awards, so instead of looking at what as nominated and judging them on artistic merits, they flushed the whole thing down the toilet.
>>
>>44179356
You leave out the leader of the Rabids has, pubically and repeatedly, pushed for all women to be denied the right to vote.

You do yourself no favors in pretending that the SJWs had no actual reasons here to be pissed. This is, in fact, one of the few times they've been even close to right ever.

All sides of the story, don't be self serving. Otherwise you end up like them.
>>
>>44179505
>pushed for all women to be denied the right to vote.
>implying he's not right
We have scorned the wisdom of the ancients, and now we pay the price.
>>
>>44179496
Oh, wait, you mean the exact fucking thing the Puppies did?

>In 2013, it was an attempt to get one of Correia's novels nominated for the Hugo Award in order to "poke the establishment in the eye" by nominating "unabashed pulp action that isn’t heavy handed message fic". In subsequent years, it was a campaign to nominate works Correia—and later Torgersen—thought were more deserving, but which they stated had been unfairly passed over by Hugo voters in favor of more literary works, or stories with progressive political themes.

It was literally, LITERALLY a voting block pushing what THEY felt was best, and you get pissed off the SJWs did the same fucking thing? You goddamn hypocrite.
>>
>>44179505
>>44179562
Fuck off Anita
>>
>>44179562
The only one getting pissed is you.
>>
>>44179562
>It was literally, LITERALLY a voting block pushing what THEY felt was best, and you get pissed off the SJWs did the same fucking thing? You goddamn hypocrite.
The whole point of the exercise was to show how suddenly it's bad because the other guys are doing it now.
>>
>>44134147
>My character is so close to just shooting them and ending the game.

Be careful you arent a that guy OP.
>>
>>44158683
Holy shit, are you me? You just described experiences I have had to a T.
>>
>>44179505
I said he was crazy, nignog. You can't expect me to be fully versed in all his exact craziness.

>This is, in fact, one of the few times they've been even close to right ever.

No, these are the people who perpetrate racial discrimination openly. Them being pissed off at gender discrimination (but only against women) does not suddenly make them right. In fact, if they hadn't been discriminatory cunts, the entire thing wouldn't have happened in the first place.

>All sides of the story, don't be self serving. Otherwise you end up like them.

Yeah, I gave all sides of the story. You're getting pissed off that I didn't give one particular example. In my opinion, you're over-reaching in your attempts to be reasonable. I didn't pick sides, and I find your accusation that I did to be insulting.
>>
>>44179562
I'm afraid you're not actually getting the point. Their point was that only works of a certain nature were being considered acceptable. So they voted for things that did not fit that definition. And what happened? Exactly what they said had been happening all along: The "unacceptable" works were passed over for awards, because they did not conform to the correct politics.
>>
>>44179413
Why is it always the non-charismatic people who want to be the party face? Or worse, the people whose characters just should not represent the party?

Though it annoys me, I don't really have anything against players who speak strangely or slowly, and if they wanna play a charismatic role, I can understand that, that's fine. But why does some guy who borders dangerously on the lolrandum, or just gets the whole party in trouble because they piss off the wrong people, end up being the party face? It should be someone who can work with just about anybody.
>>
>>44180335
I've ended up as sort of the party face in 2 concurrent campaigns, 3 if the upcoming campaign actually happens.
First time, elves in Shadowrun just have higher charisma caps and social limits, period.
Second time, sorcerers use Charisma as their spellcasting stat.
Third time, paladins use Charisma in everything.
I really don't mean to.
>>
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/dinosaur/deinonychus

Would fighting 3 of these be too much for a party of 3 level 5 characters and 1 level 4? I suck at CR math.
>>
>>44180491
whoops, wrong thread. Sorry guys.
>>
>>44180481
>>44180335
My CHA 10 rogue ended up being the party face because no one else in our group would fucking take initiative, no pun intended. To be fair, I am the only one with theater experience.
>>
>>44180562
>To be fair, I am the only one with theater experience.
Thank god the campaign I'm playing the sorcerer in (DnD 5e) has (not including myself) at least 3 musicians in it. In fact, it'd be easier to point out the non-performers.
>>
>>44180620
It's always so much more fun to play with people who have performance experience. They understand the purpose behind roleplay.
>>
>>44160889

Sh-sh-sh-sh-shut up, c-c-c-c-c-cunt.
>>
>>44180650
They also know how to roll with the punches.
>session 1
>friend introduces his luchador
>thick mexican accent
>I introduce my sorcerer
>cartoony russian accent
>session 2
>new player introduces bard
>I introduce myself first to him, in my thick russian accent
>"FUCK I WAS GONNA BE RUSSIAN whatever we'll both be Russian"
>>
>>44161135

That's retarded. You're retarded. Just as retarded as the people who say only people with power can be racist.
>>
>>44180335
Non-charismatic people don't get the opportunity to be the party face in real life and probably take the first chance they get to escape vicariousness and a lifetime of being pushed to the periphery. It's like the scrawny kid whose alternate persona is a giant barbarian. As for the dangerously lolrandum players, they probably gravitate towards those positions because it allows them to inject their hyper-extroverted lolrandum selves into every situation and cause as much chaos as possible for everyone around them, to their delight.

>>44179413
I have a speech impediment myself and usually speak as little as possible primarily because of feeling constant shame stemming from knowing that people around me feel uncomfortable to downright annoyed when I try to talk. I guess some people with communication difficulties use roleplaying as a means to break away from themselves and be something they are not by taking it to the other extreme. It only works if you're not self-aware though, or as a means to an end like an opportunity to practice in a setting with lowered judgment barriers/greater tolerance.

It's not your fault if they fail to realize that tabletop relies heavily on communication to facilitate the roleplaying. Don't feel too bad for breaking it to them. I mean, it always hurts deeply on the receiving end when another avenue to socialization with peers gets shut down, but it's not an unreasonable request considering the game format. Hopefully they have experienced the rejection often enough in the past to shrug it off and move on.
>>
>>44149836
>>44139653
it's called anomic aphasia, what you're describing is circumlocution.
>>
>>44141451
>Nothing up there but dust and dirt

How can one man be so wrong, and yet so right at the same time?
>>
File: 1432845495919.png (2 MB, 602x1438) Image search: [Google]
1432845495919.png
2 MB, 602x1438
>>44137301
>Folks with absurd entitlement issues and self-indulgent "lifestyles" equal parts ignorance and apathy did not exist until very recently.
>>
>>44179356
>the complete opposite of dignified, respectful discussion
I may be liberal, but you've spoken my mind pretty damn well anon. The SJWs are awful, and then people react in awful ways to them, and anyone who isn't awful gets drowned out in a tide of autism. Hell, I think I dislike the SJWs more because they make the rest of us liberals who aren't fucking psychotic look completely stupid.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.