[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you murdered your party rogue yet? They'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 650x366
Why haven't you murdered your party rogue yet? They'll steal from everyone eventually so just kill them now.
>>
I remember a thread from like a year ago where a guy argued for almost two hours how it was IC for his rogue to steal from the party so he should be allowed to do it, but that the party shouldn't be allowed to punish him for it because it was OOC for them.

Christ I'm getting mad just remembering it.
>>
Because IC we haven't caught him doing it yet. Been rolling nothing above a 6 for spot every single time I could have seen him in the act.
>>
>>44118582

How would it be OOC for them to punish a fucking thief for stealing from them? Were they all ascetic monks who cared not for worldly possessions or something?
>>
>>44118603
Well, who ELSE could have done it? Reasonable suspicion, man. Look in the rogue's bag while they're asleep.
>>
>The deer you shot and left to die won't stop following you around, appearing at the corner of your vision and in your dreams, telling you to kill people. Nobody else can see it... or else they're pretending not to because they're working with it to make you think you're crazy.
>>
Because she's cute and acts cute and has that sort of "rough commoner street girl" thing going on. It's fun and adorable to watch her antics.
>>
>>44118556
Because I am the ranger and me and the rogue have worked together so much sneaking around that our characters like each other enough to not steal from one another.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Better than this thing I found re-stocking the Fire.
>>
>>44118627
It's possible that they wouldn't know about it in-character, if the rogue in-game somehow managed to completely avert suspicion from himself and properly covered his tracks.
>>
>>44118627
His reasoning was that they had been traveling together for a while, so it wouldn't make sense for them to immediately try and punish him, that they should ALWAYS try and talk it out first then come to his side of things.

His character was stealing due to debts and he said if they asked him it'd be a cool plot hook thing.

I countered with "Why don't you just ask them for help" and he said it was because he was a professional and didn't trust them.

I told him if he didn't trust the party enough to ask for help why would the trust him enough to not immediately jump to punishing him or kicking him out of the party.

It went circular from there and he couldn't conceptualize that someone who wasn't the DM would want to do something negative to his character.
>>
>>44118698
This was assuming being caught.
>>
>>44118698

He'd have to do some major track covering.

As in "Abandon shit by the side of the road to look like a victim as well and risk it being dug up by random treasure sniffers" kind of stuff.
>>
Because the player will cry like a bitch and probably refuse to play with me, and the DM probably won't allow it because he likes to spoil the rogue. These people are my friends. This is the life I chose.
>>
>>44118693
Why does a spider need to know how eyes work?
>>
>>44118556
Because we're all technically rogues.
>>
>>44118582
I know exactly what memories and feels you're talking about
>>
>>44118556
Because killing a party member is fucking stupid unless they do something when you have to do it.
>>
The rogue in my game is Lawful, he is an upstanding business man who just so happens to own a locksmith business. He fixes locks and obviously can open them. He was hired to join the adventuring party because of his good reputation, and that he wouldn't be thieving from the party members. It's the best idea for a non dick rogue I've ever played with.
>>
File: 1391826368007.jpg (141 KB, 475x401) Image search: [Google]
1391826368007.jpg
141 KB, 475x401
>>44118556
But if I kill them their skeleton will be free and might realize that I'm a skeleton!
>>
>>44118837
Holy shit, that seems so obvious now that I have to play that
>>
>>44118793
So she can fulfill her lifelong dream of becoming an optometrist.
>>
>>44118907
Is everyone stealing my god damn skeleton in disguise idea?
>>
>>44118837
I knew a guy who played somewhat similarly to that.

He went through a town one night and stole every single lock on all the merchant's doors leaving a note that effectively said their lock is shit and he could've stolen whatever he wanted.

The next day an accomplice of his opened a wagon store in the center of town advertising unpickable locks and the two made a killing.

The locks themselves were unpickable at first, they were magical and required an activation word that could be decided by the purchaser. Little did they know there was a "skeleton" word that worked on each, even after the owner established their own word.

Memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure he robbed the merchants blind over the next few nights even after taking most of their money for the magic locks.
>>
>>44118970
Kinda can't do that now. Threw it into the fire I was making. It did make a satisfying *POp* sound though.
>>
>>44119074
Eat the remains
>>
No need. The bard sold her into sexual slavery.
>>
>>44118793
Dude, he's got like, 8.
>>
>>44118556
>Why haven't you murdered your party rogue yet?

Because it'll result in yet another campaign-ending shitshow and I don't have the stones to find another group.
>>
>>44119034
'Your' idea is probably in like the top 10 non-pulp character concepts. I don't think I know a player who hasn't played with one/as one
>>
>>44119071
>Corrupt mayor wakes up one morning to find a dagger in his bed, mere inches from his throat.
>On the nightstand is a note by the Rogue
>In the note, he explains exactly how he bypassed everything the mayor had in his house to keep himself safe, and that he could have easily been assassinated that night.
>Note ends in a reminder that nothing the mayor can do can stop him from sneaking into the house to assassinate him.
>Mayor spends the rest of his life sleepless, terrified the Rogue will come back and kill him for real.
>>
>>44118693
You found a cornea?
>>
>>44119731
I know. I'm just noticing people posting about it a lot recently. 3 today. It's like when you realise you like mushrooms and suddenly you notice them everywhere.
>>
>>44118556
Because I am no rogue you ass. I'm not some criminal who makes his living stealing others hard earned valuables. Sure I can make a locks tumblers dance with a pick and I can sneak from room to room, but I also disarm traps. Y'know like the ones we find in the dungeons. The ones we go into to earn money? Fuck you Barry, you're just mad that the barmaid wasn't into nearly six foot of muscle with personality issues and a drinking problem. Now go find the elf so she can pity you while I continue my game of dice with the merchants.
>>
File: 1449235770106.jpg (37 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
1449235770106.jpg
37 KB, 600x360
>>44118556
Cause our party rogue is *our* thief. And we keep him naked and collared when not in use.

Seriously, take some precautions and everything is good.
>>
File: 1438815929874.png (536 KB, 544x661) Image search: [Google]
1438815929874.png
536 KB, 544x661
>>44118556
He's minmaxed so he's gotten better than I have since I lost my arm, and he's got the barbarian on his side. At best, I might have the wizard on my side just to spite him.

I hate interparty conflict. I would prefer the most boring, cardboard cutout group compared to worrying the rogue will stab my eyes out in my sleep if I actually ask for my share of the gold instead of letting him keep it all for himself. He's threatened it.
>>
>>44122642
Is that fun for you? It's conceivably fun constantly worrying you're about to get dicked over, but are you enjoying it?
>>
>>44122787
I'm not really sure. It might feel more fun if I start preparing myself - getting some magic items and other useful gear to face his sudden but inevitable betrayal. That way I'm not totally outmatched, and it'd give me something to spend gold on and really work for.

At the same time, getting attacked in my sleep isn't really how I'd want to go. If I can't solve things diplomatically, I'd want to guarantee a fair fight. And so far the whole conflict is just throwing a tension over everything - instead of 'we'll work together until I decide to kill you,' it's 'we're working together only because I haven't decided to kill you.'
>>
>>44122999
Might as well ditch the group now.
>>
File: 135468323456.png (149 KB, 526x430) Image search: [Google]
135468323456.png
149 KB, 526x430
>>44122999
I agree with >>44125647 save yourself some trouble and just leave now. It's easier.

>>44118556
I would never steal from my party, as long as my character doesn't risk becoming an NPC.

I try my best to keep the party alive and well, even if there are some differences between us. But I will not act to the detriment of them in any capacity. The pic is for you.
>>
>>44122485
When he is finally able to slip out of the collar, you're dead.
>>
>>44118556
It's must be hard for some people to team kill because trust me I've given my party plenty of opportunities to kill me.
>>
Forever rogue player here, enjoy being buttmad while my character get's loaded rich from taking your share of the loot
>>
File: fite me.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fite me.gif
529 KB, 480x360
>>44126325
Anjoy getting both your hands cut off once I look into your shit while I'm on watch.
>>
File: gandhi.jpg (45 KB, 317x198) Image search: [Google]
gandhi.jpg
45 KB, 317x198
Vow of Poverty and Vow of Nonviolence
>>
>>44126395
Good look with the poisoned traps where do you think I keep m stuff. Or sneaking around even if Im' sleep.

>Do you think this is my real head?
>>
File: 126546314.gif (2 MB, 390x271) Image search: [Google]
126546314.gif
2 MB, 390x271
>>44126616
>thinking poison can stop any caster class or that sneaking around will be a problem
>>
>>44126714
I dunno man, a wizard can't really survive 2d8 STR initial and secondary damage.

But then my Rogue prefers daggers over traps.

And spending 4000gp on extremely potent poisons.
>>
>>44118556
Because I'm the rogue, and I'm not a slave to greed.
>>
>>44118556

I fucking hate the Rogue player in my current group. Every fucking time there's loot, it's the same thing

>Just killed a Dragon, everyone else is fucked up except the Rogue who did nothing the whole fight
>Rogue: "So I roll to find the Dragon's hoard."
>DM: "Alright, you eventually find it. It's a huge pile of gold, and you also see a magical rod, a greatsword, an enchanted shield and a couple of rings."
>Rogue: "Yeah, I put it all in my bag of holding."
>Barbarian: "I could use that Greatsword, I lost my own in the fight."
>Wizard: "And that staff, DM described it like the lost artefact of my people."
>Cleric: "I could use a magic item or two as well. Six levels in and I haven't gotten anything."
>Rogue: "Sorry guys, you don't know about the treasure and my character doesn't want to share."

We're 7th level, and the Rogue is decked with more gold than a fucking oil sheik, has like two Ioun stones, six magical rings and other stuff I can't even list. Nobody else has jack shit.

I know it's only made up imaginary stuff, but fuck, a big part of D&D is killing monsters to take their stuff.
>>
>>44118556
>Dicking over your own bros

That's not how it's done in Seattle, omae.
>>
Do people really steal from people watching their backs? A big rule is you don't steal from friends. Otherwise you won't have any friends left when you need to lay low if a job goes south.
>>
>>44128695
>Steal money from party
>Spend all the money protecting self from party
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_economy
>>
>>44128793
>Group: You can't help in fights. You can't find the hidden treasure. You tried to fuck the barbarian's feral little sister. Time for you to go.
>Rogue: Oy vey! I think maybe a few shekels for the road would be warranted? I have been nothing but helpful goyims. Maybe you could borrow one of my fifty magic rings I can't use? Just make sure you give it back right away, they're all family heirlooms remember?
>Group: Yeah no, go away you useless shit.
>>
#notallrogues

My rogue in Pathfinder is a mob boss who can't directly pick pockets to save his life.
>>
>>44128857
They will if the DM doesn't occasionally punish this behavior.
>>
>>44128998

I wish. The Rogue is important to the story and is the DM's brother so can't really tell him to fuck off either. Rest of the group, including the DM, are really nice though, so don't feel like walking myself. We had a little intervention a while back, so we'll see how it goes now that we told him OOC that his lootwhoring is really fucking annoying to everyone else.
>>
>>44129041
>they will

only if rogue in question is played by an absolute retard.
>>
>>44118556
Because he carries about twelve bombs with him at all time primed to explode if he dies, that is to say if he is near death he readies an action to explode them if anything gets near him and gods forbid you try to kill him with fire based attacks.
>>
File: Well.jpg (19 KB, 450x334) Image search: [Google]
Well.jpg
19 KB, 450x334
>>44129074
>The Rogue is important to the story and is the DM's brother
You're boned
>>
>>44118556

>Play a guy in black plate armour with a greatsword
>Almost two meters tall, gaunt, ugly as fuck, introduced himself as a sword for hire.
>Group is like "ok, we could use a frontline fighter, you're in."
>Go delve into some dungeons
>Oh no, them monsters appear
>Character hides like a bitch, group throws a fit, says I should tank for them
>Tell them to chill the fuck out, a round later charge enemies from the shadows with a two-handed power sneak attack for terrible, terrible damage.
>Fuck everything up like a boss
>After the fight "Whatcha starin', ain't ever seen somebody fight smart? Get movin', and take off those gold ornaments from the walls, they're wort a fortune. Not that one, you cunt, it's trapped. Let me get my lockpicks and I'll disarm it. You stupid fucks, this your first ride or sumthin'?"
>Entire group drops their jaws to the mind-blowing concept of Fighter 2/Rogue 6 with ranks in knowledges and languages
>>
>>44118556
Because I'm not a massive dick and neither is she.
>>
File: 135468323457.png (167 KB, 393x349) Image search: [Google]
135468323457.png
167 KB, 393x349
>>44129360
>Group is like "ok, we could use a frontline fighter, you're in."
Not even two sentences later
>Oh no, them monsters appear
>Character hides like a bitch, group throws a fit, says I should tank for them

Hurray for communication!
>>
>>44118556
We had a rogue steal from the group. He eventually got caught. The mage put him to sleep. then we tied him up. took everything he had of ours back and left him tied to a tree. The gm had him killed by bandits after we left. His next character was a man seeking revenge for the rogues death. We killed him out right knowing he would not give up. After that the trouble player left. A year later he messaged me out of the blue apologizing saying that he had now experienced being on the other side of the situation.
>>
>>44129360
You seem like a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>44129869
Looks like he finally grew a neckbeard.
>>
>>44129700

I was a frontline fighter, just not the "run in like an idiot, get your ass handed to you" type of fighter.

I admit I could've told them what my thing was, but I wanted to see the looks on their faces. It was even funnier when their foul-mouthed but genuinely loyal and bro-tier fighter/rogue pinged Evil.

It was a good campaign, with the entire group eventually learning to watch each other's backs. Like my character said when he was offered a king's ransom for betraying the group, "they're the toughest sons of whores I know, and getting on their bad side ends in a gruesome death.. so no thanks. Besides, they make me laugh and one of 'em owes me five silver."
>>
>>44130429
That's good, I would've also forgiven you.
>>
>stealing from the party
That's a piss-poor way to treat my friends.
>>
>>44118603
I don't understand this attitude. Why would you have to catch them in the act? If they're running around with loot that you all never saw then it's obvious they got it from somewhere, and it's not a difficult leap of logic to realize hey, maybe that surprisingly empty tomb wasn't so surprisingly empty when they passed through it.

The only way they're going to get away with it is if they never use the stuff they got, in which case all they're doing is fucking themselves over too.
>>
>>44131090
Well, if they take it and hawk it to upgrade their own stuff to higher levels, it doesn't become as immediately obvious what they're doing. Unless they go for flashy upgrades anyway.>>44131090
>>
>>44118666
Well if Satan likes her I do too. But she sounds cancerous desu.
>>
I'm playing Savage Worlds.
There aren't any classes, so there are no "Rogues". In any case, I'm probably the party rogue anyways. Only thing is that I have no desire to steal from the party (unless it's withheld information I need to have).
>>
>>44118556
I'm reformed, I don't outright steal from anything. Trouble with the law is just too much of a hassle. Now I just drag the party across multiple planes of existence for the promise of wealth and expensive trinkets.
>>
>>44131519
They're still clearly getting new items that nobody else can afford, which means they're getting an extra income stream. At that point, it's time to start searching them during a dungeon crawl.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.