[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important should positional modifiers be in an RPG? If I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: b4f.png (10 KB, 353x291) Image search: [Google]
b4f.png
10 KB, 353x291
How important should positional modifiers be in an RPG? If I am defending a spiral staircase and hold the high ground, should I be granted any mechanical bonus?
>>
>>44091717
spiral staircases are built clockwise upwards, so that a (right-handed) person attacking upwards cannot swing a sword left-to-right.
>>
>>44091717

Positioning is very important, but I don't think it should be mucked up with mechanical modifiers too much, because that just ends with you digging out rulebooks to look up tables and shit. Not to mention arguing with players over whether or not they can have a +1 for this, because you gave a +1 for that, etc.
>>
>>44091717
It really depends on where the staircase you are positioned and where yhe enemy is. If they are directly udner you, you might have a problem attacking. If they are to your side, you might have the best advantage, but once they take a single step, you'll start having problems.

The best tactic would be to have a spear and keep attacking whoever's coming to the side or if it's not applicable, kicking them down the stairs once they are very close. I call it "The Rhinoceros Beetle."
>>
>>44091717
Depends on how tactical the game is. If this system would normally give modifiers for that level of detail, go for it. If this system is more loose and likely to resolve combat with a couple of quick rolls, that's probably not going to be a significant enough factor to bother factoring in.
>>
>>44091842
Then what would the benefit of positioning yourself intelligently?
>>
It depends on the math of the system but a + or - modifier made up on the fly usually works.
This is part of why I like advantage/disadvantage, you don't end up bitching on if it should be a +2 or a +3
>>
>>44091717
>defending a spiral staircase and hold the high ground
>should I be granted any mechanical bonus?

Yes, but it invokes a metagame tradeoff between accuracy and ease-of-use.
>>
>>44095431
That you aren't stuck between a immovable wall and a unstoppable monster.
>>
File: Twitch_AGP.jpg (39 KB, 465x659) Image search: [Google]
Twitch_AGP.jpg
39 KB, 465x659
>>44095596
>unstoppable monster.

We'll see how "unstoppable" it is after a few dozen detpacks.
>>
>>44095556
/thread
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.