[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if i were to introduce my roomies to Shadowrun, what could I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: 1401372665226.jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1401372665226.jpg
44 KB, 600x400
if i were to introduce my roomies to Shadowrun, what could I show them to give them an idea of the overall vibe? Bladerunner is obvious.
>>
File: johnny-mnemonic-big.jpg (35 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
johnny-mnemonic-big.jpg
35 KB, 625x417
Johnny Mnemonic and maybe Ghost in the Shell (if you're up for anime) would be my choices (besides Blade Runner)...

other than that, just introduce them by telling them about the overall vibe and feel, clearify the basics of the setting (Blade Runner x DnD), read them the timeline and show em some artwork you deem fitting...
>>
Well, Ghost in the Shell or Jhonny mnemonic
>>
>>44086269

>Blade Runner
>exploration of what it means to be human, and the boundaries between nature and artifice
>Shadowrun
>Elves, Dragons, Mysticism and Ancient Evils, but everyone is also a Matrix cosplayer

Adventure Time has more things in common with Shadowrun than Blade Runner.
>>
On the literary side, Necromancers, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Bicentennial Man

Media side, Blade runner as mentioned, pic related, The Running Man (Ahnold), The Matrix, Demolition Man, Total Recall, Cherry 2000, Dress, Cyborg (Vann Damm), Elysium, Highlander 2, Logans Run, Minority Report, RoboCop 1-3, Screamers, He-Man and the masters of the universe (the movie), The Fifth Element, Terminator 1-2, From, Virtuosity,
>>
File: tumblr_n9c0cnGzbg1qe7lvao1_500.jpg (252 KB, 366x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9c0cnGzbg1qe7lvao1_500.jpg
252 KB, 366x750
>>44086445
aesthetics and setting, not underlying theme or motif you fucking retard.
>>
>>44086269
Strange Days, Cypher, and Renaissance are all good choices.
>>
>>44086269

As I recall there's a bunch of reference movies and such somewhere in the back of the SR books.

Regardless it'd be a much better use of everybody's time to show instead of tell.

Roll up some characters for them and haul them through Food Fight plus a milk run, your players will get the idea quick enough.
>>
>>44086477
Though if you're trying to show them the "overall vibe", you probably want to show them stuff that addresses the fantasy parts - magic, elves, dwarves, etc. etc.

Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, etc. etc. are better examples of Cyberpunk 2020 than Shadowrun.
>>
>>44086269
Show them a giant dildo.
>>
The most Shadowrun type anime series I can think of with magic, future tech, corporations running everything, and different races contributing to the story would actually be Outlaw Star.
>>
>>44087326
I never really thought about it, but yeah, Outlaw Star is essentially a Shadowrun campaign with space travel thrown in.
>>
>>44087326

At first I was going to disagree with you given the shows rather light hearted feel then I thought about it.

>Knife fights and swords addressing the street samurai aspect
>Everyone is out for cash for the most part
>Cybernetic enhancements are rare but not unheard of and are typically expensive but can offer advanced human abilities
>The cyberspace scene when one cyborg tried hacking into the android's personal space is a good show on the whole matrix thing
>Space pirates showed pure magic and tech mix

It wasn't edgelord enough to be a legit Shadowrun anime, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it fits the bill more than pretty much anything else I have seen before. Which is impressive given that it was just a retelling of Treasure Island.
>>
>>44086269
GATE?
>>
>>44086269
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

this trailer
>>
>>44086269
Star wars is kind of a subdued shadowrun (or shadowrun is star wars turned up to 11).
-high tech but no internet
-many species but little racism
-large boss of massive crime syndicate
-despotic regime, but heroes haven't become disillusioned
>>
>>44086464
Did you just advice someone to watch highlander 2? You monster.
>>
Johnny Mnemonic and Total Recall are both futuristic as well as silly enough to give you an idea of what Shadowrun is like.
>>
>>44087915
That's a good choice for Shadowrun actually.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43h1zHpjqc
>>
>>44086269

Get them to read Neuromancer.

Shadowrun is pretty much just the entirety of Neuromancer + magic.

Not that that's a bad thing
>>
>>44086269

Play Shadowrun: Dragonfall. It's fantastic and only 20 hours or so
>>
>>44089857
It may have some similarities to shadowrun but it is still utter shit taking a big dump all over a good movie.
>>
File: mario-bros-movie.jpg (30 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
mario-bros-movie.jpg
30 KB, 480x319
Go ahead. Try to prove me wrong.
>>
>>44090300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub01mPDS-Z0

Oh my goooooood
>>
>>44090300
I have never watched this with a "Shadowrun campaign is happening" lens in consideration and it is blowing my mind
>>
>>44090300
oh wow
>>
>>44089992
Think this version's better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wj3z45314
>>
>>44086269
If they play video games at all, all the Deus Ex games and the Dragonfall/Hong Kong campaigns of Shadowrun Returns are great. Hell in Hong Kong you're just a guy trying to meet up with a relative then through circumstances are forced to become a Shadowrunner for the first time in your life.
>>
File: cco808_sengoku1.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cco808_sengoku1.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>44086269
Cyber City Oedo 808 is pretty much spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_hU5eUrVIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCSTGjmRHps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvWmak-wXs
>>
>>44092494
>for the first time in your life.

I mean, if you decide your character was a boring punk when he was younger, sure.
>>
>>44092574
I prefer other intro^
>In the year 2525, you as fired from your wageslave job
>But your friend have a Plan how to make some rent money
>Are you bad enough dude for shadows?
>>
>>44087440
nah, not a great one, too fantasy. Monster Musume might be good for the more light hearted examples of metahuman-human relations...
>>
>>44090300
goddamn it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.