[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic: the Gathering Wednesday Flavor General - God of Ruse Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 30
File: image.jpg (847 KB, 2684x1580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
847 KB, 2684x1580
>You are a planeswalker.
>In the vast Multiverse, only you and some other chucklefucks know of the countless worlds beyond your own.

Welcome to the Magic: the Gathering Flavor General thread!

Helpful links:
>Uncharted Realms Archive
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/uncharted-realms

ARCHIVE http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Archive.aspx?tag=unchartedrealms&description=Uncharted%20Realms

>Savor the Flavor/Taste the Magic archive
ARCHIVE http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/archive.aspx?page=13&tag=savortheflavor&description=taste%20the%20magic

>Planeswalker's Guides
ARCHIVE http://pastebin.com/Ttgtz6A9

>Set Trailers
http://pastebin.com/ayJntkE0

>Current Status of Planeswalkers:
2014: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/checking-planeswalkers-2014-06-16
2015: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2015-08-19

>Doug Beyer's Tumblr
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/

Reminder: Keep bait, shitposting, and arguments to a minimum--try to focus on lore discussion. No snowflakes in the Wednesday thread. Ignore chandere posts.

We have an IRC for more conversational discussions and no small amount of fucking about: #mtgwaifulore on irc.rizon.net

Starter topic: This week's Uncharted Realms is "The Rise of Kozilek," by Kelly Digges.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/rise-kozilek-2015-12-09

Is she okay?
>>
She fell off Lorthos, lost the bident and landed on her back in the ocean next to Kozilek.

It'll depend upon how fans feel about Kiora and if they like her or not enough to see if she survives. Honestly I think she'll live, if only because she's got that UG arrogance about her ("oh look at me, I'm tricky with my blue magic AND I can summon up giant green things to smash your face in!") and her getting knocked down a slight peg (if she survives) will help screw her head on right and admit that sometimes it's ok to ask/receive help.
>>
>>44074644
Yeah, she's okay.
Just like that dog you had as a kid, she just went to a farm out of town.
That you're not allowed to visit.
Ever.
Just don't have the time, you know?
Oops, turns out she ran away from the farm, silly thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 750x450
Man, remember how many URs we spent on Gideon and his whole "reclaiming Sea Gate" thing? Remember how painfully slow it was?

At least it was worth it.
>>
Bident confirmed for gone then?
>>
>>44074644
R.I.P. Lorthos.... ;(
>>
>>44074644
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/74706265965

She's boned.
>>
>>44074868
Ashiok confirmed only survivor.
>>
I feel like this was really more to knock her off her high horse than to kill her. They really played up her cockiness in BFZ. This will probably push her towards a bit more of a green philosophy.
>>
>>44074868
What an asshole.
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/oath-gatewatch-story

Oath of the Gatewatch tag line appears to be "Take the Oath. Retake the World."

I can't WAIT to see how these four random post-Mending planeswalkers manage to take out not one but TWO Eldrazi Titans in a fraction of the time that it took Ugin and Nahiri to bind them the first time!
>>
>>44075203
Or she'll meet my boy Wrex and get a little black in her
>>
>>44075431
She literally JUST saw that that kind of tactic doesn't work.
>>
>>44075400
Ugin probably does whatever he was doing back at his Eye to weaken/neutralize Ulamog and Kozilek while the not!Superfriends actually finish them off and send them back to the Blind Eternities.

I'm also hoping Nahiri shows up soon-ish, goes, "WTF happened here, who fucked up my shit" and proceeds to start chucking building-sized hedrons from the ground at Eldrazi like an artillery barrage.
>>
>>44075528
Yes but Lorthos is all power.
Wrexial is intelligent and devious.
I could see her meeting him and trying to outwit Kozi.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 625x351) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 625x351
>tfw Kiora was your tertiary waifu after Elspeth and Jeskai Narset
It's been a rough few years.
>>
>>44074644
Sorry I killed your fishwaifu. Have some bismuth.
>>
>>44075575
Cosi always wins.
>>
>>44075596
i'm sorry you have shit taste anon.

In other news, the next story is retaliation of Ob Nixilis. anyone else liking Ob for best Mtg villain? he's like if Nicol bolas was willing to get his hands dirty and had shorter term goals. I find "fuck this place right here, and fuck these two bitches in particular" to be much more relatable than "fuck the whole multiverse, I'm a genius."
>>
>>44074644
>Kiora's attitude
Damnit Kiora, stop trying to scare Ulamog onto another world.
At least Nissa admitted that was a jerkass thing to do and is trying to fix it.
>>
>>44075609
Well of course.
She'll get real depressed and planeswalk away until we see her next time.
>>
>>44075671
Ob Nixilis is a shit-tier generic doomsday villain and the only reason he sounded so collected and suave was because he was thinking about how great he was to himself in first-person.
>>
>>44075671
It's not like it's that wide of a field. The other options are:
>Chandra
>Liliana
>Nissa
>Tamiyo
>Vraska

Liliana's the shittiest tier of waifu possible, with Vraska above her. Nissa's also pretty bad.

Really, the only ones that might eclipse his choices are Tamiyo and Chandra...both of who are basically just judged on the grounds of "she's cute" because neither has had a real story presence.
>>
>>44075725
I mean, he's totally full of himself, he's black and a bad guy. that's a given. but he's a working man's doomsday villain. literally working his fingers to the bone for his first try to turn zendikar into a planeswalker jump start, then deciding "whelp, plan's ruined, guess I gotta just help the eldrazi roflstomp the world because it's better than nothing"
>>
>>44075671
>Elspeth
>shit taste
Get out.
>>
>>44075899
>Nissa
There is legitimately nothing wrong with Nissa as a waifu.
>>
>>44075671
>calls a perfectly respectable set of waifus shit taste
>proceeds to claim that Obnoxious is the best MTG villain
If the irony were any thicker, it'd be a 1/1 myr that taps for R.
>>
Where dat bident at tho?
>>
>>44075972
she's really variable. elf hitler who caused the entire crisis on her home plane just because she felt like being a bitch is the worst waifu. worldwaker seemed like an upturn, but she still has a lot of holier than thou going on for her. the whole "For Zendikar, but not like everyone else means it" episode was awful.
>>
>>44075930
He literally has no ideas or plans beyond "I'mma destroy this world for zero profit because I can, then I'mma do it to the next one I land on too."
>>
>>44075994
>I'm not allowed to have nice things because I said so
>having the same taste as Sarkhan
>fishtits who doesn't care about anyone
>respectable waifus
Kiora was better before she got back to Zendikar, to be fair
>>
>>44075972
There are a number of things wrong with Nissa as a waifu. She's been retconned so many times that it's a wonder that SHE remembers her own past.

First, she was a xenophobic elf supremacist. A fairly interesting spin on a standard fantasy staple. At this point, she released the Eldrazi because Sorin said not to, having not been swayed by the notion that the Eldrazi might just leave Zendikar behind if they were released.

Then she got character development, seeing how badly she had fucked up. She realized that, elf or not, she could make mistakes, and that she wasn't automatically better than everyone else just because of her species. While this moved her away from her previous BG leanings, it did so in a natural way.

Then Origins.

Nissa is retconned to have totally known about the Eldrazi long before meeting Sorin, and saw Emrakul in a vision when her spark ignited. Note that these events were BEFORE Sarkhan and the others loosened the lock on the Eye of Ugin? So apparently things were already going down maybe? Her journey to Lorwyn, which was previously mentioned as one where she had learned some dabbling in black mana from the elves there, was turned into her being horrified by their attitudes because she's a perfect doe-eyed Disney princess.

As of the Battle for Zendikar fat pack, the booklet explained that she had released the Eldrazi in the knowledge that they could leave and go to other worlds, and the hope that they would do so.

After months of long, boring, drawn-out stories of her angst and self-doubt--during which nothing of any interest happened, and she was just made blander and blander--she finally rejoined the others at Sea Gate...at which point she expressed surprise and dismay at Jace's news that the Eldrazi could leave Zendikar and go to other worlds.

Nissa doesn't have a "character," in the same way that an electron doesn't have a defined location. We know what actions she's taking in the story, but she herself is an unknown.
>>
>>44076046
>she felt like being a bitch
She felt that Sorin was an untrustable ass who just used hostile magic against her and killed one of their travelling companions because she didn't kick another vampire in the nuts.
Going "fuck it, the eldrazi can be someone else's problem." was a dick sentiment that she's been apologizing for all season

>"For Zendikar, but not like everyone else means it"
Whoever wrote that was an idiot that wanted it to be dramatic but ended up writing something petty. It was supposed to be about how she was fighting for every living thing, from people to the grass.

>>44076118
Blame the bad writing for that. Nissa herself is fine if you just ignore the details of bad writing and stitch a proper Nissa together.
>>
>>44076113
Elspeth puts other people before her. That's hardly a deplorable quality.

Narset is pretty clearly being set up as a foil to Sarkhan. Not in the sense of rivals, but in terms of comparison. She died in that timeline trying to bring about a better world--not for dragons, but because the world itself was dying. She never saw both worlds, but, in the new world where the new Narset is a planeswalker, she's looking into the past that was eradicated by his actions and will probably be instrumental in reviving the clans. Not sure how you get "same taste as Sarkhan," to be honest.

Kiora cares a LOT about her sister, and blames herself for all the deaths she caused in today's story. Yeah, she's cocky, but that doesn't somehow mean that those emotional connections go away.
>>
>>44076070
Yes? I'm okay with this in a villain. At least it's something tangible and relatively doable for him. the phyrexians have no means, the Eldrazi have caguely the same goal but incomprehensible motivations, and bolas has incomprehensible goals AND motivations, he's like a meta-dick. Ob wants to fuck your shit, and he can fuck your shit. so either fuck proof your shit, or keep your shit away from him. I like a grounded villain, even if he is just apocalyptically axe crazy.
>>
>>44076179
>if you ignore the writing, everything's fine!
Man, what even. You can like your made-up version of Nissa all you want, but don't blame other people for not sharing your particular headcanon.
>>
>>44075899
Oh.
>>44075972
Oh.
>>44076046
Oh.
>>44076118
Oh.
>>44076179
Oh.
>>44076223
Oh.
>>
>>44076249
Go back to work, Kimberly.
>>
>>44076257
Oh.
>>
>>44076189
I will forever be salty that they didn't have Narset ignite when Zurgo stabbed her AND when she read about Ojutai, with DTK Narset suddenly feeling a phantom blade in her gut and having all the memories and experiences of KTK Narset through some time bullshit.

I swear, if they just make her the new WU walker without her ever picking up red, I'll burn all of Doug's ties.
>>
>>44076223
Not all the writing, the details that come because the writer can't write for shit.

Like, it's explicitly stated Nissa knows the eldrazi can leave when they feel like, so we can ignore the part in the UR where she acts surprised because that's the writer being an idiot.

It's less made up, and more stitched together.
>Nissa was racist elf.
>Tried to release the eldrazi early
>Went to Lorwyn
>Connected with plane and stopped being elf racist
>Met Sorin, freed the eldrazi because Sorin was a prick and a vampire
>Worlwaker stuff ensued.
>Outsmarted Ob Nixilis, who is basically Tibalt with a bit of power.
Nissa's story in a nutshell. Read the story's for personality before Kimberly butchers that too. But it's not even a headcanon
Basically Kimberly's a shitty writer and trying to track the details is a lesson in futility that could make any character bad.
>>
>>44074644

I admit, I've been waiting on this development since Kiora was introduced.

>Throwing a REALLY BIG OCTOPUS at the unknowable horrors from beyond the stars that melt reality by touching it didn't work? Who would've fucking thought!

Her fate matters little to me. Kiora's been a complete ass so far, so if she dies, fine. If she lives and eats the massive, MASSIVE slice of humble pie she deserves for this cockup, great.

I gotta say, it was admittedly refreshing to see a blue planeswalker who was also quite easily the dumbest person in the group instead of the "blue is always smart" thing.
>>
>>44076189
I'm convinced Elspeth is just a secret masochist and self-sacrifice is just the most convenient way for her to get her rocks off. she doesn't just put ither people before herself she turns her back on chances to improve a situation. she'll fight a losing battle, but not deal with the repercussions of losing it, and then when Erebos gave her a chance to be happy she threw it away, not because she had to save other people, not because xenagos had to be stopped, but because no one ever told her it would be easy. she refused to be happy, because she's not allowed to be happy, according to her own reasoning. she's a shit.

naraet was sarkhan's waifu after he knew her for like 30 minutes. also first anon said he waifu'd jeskai narset, so I assume walker narset is not his waifu.

Assuming kiora survives this and does learn humility, all's the better. But her head as been swelling for the entire duration of BfZ; if she doesn't make it out of this she will have died realizing she was a huge bitch.
>>
>>44076118
I'm still mad about the Lorywn elves being totally okay with Nissa looking nothing like them and finding her beautiful.
>>
File: continue.jpg (65 KB, 625x472) Image search: [Google]
continue.jpg
65 KB, 625x472
>>44076386
>elspeth needing to be beaten/stabbed/whipped/murdered to feel anything
>>
>>44076208
>Yes? I'm okay with this in a villain.
Good for you, it's still a shitty generic doomsday villain and there's literally nothing about him that isn't shitty generic doomsday villain, that got outsmarted by a depowered Nissa of all things. Don't ask for people's opinions on something if you don't want them to tell you your opinion is shit.
>>
>>44076402
that was hyper bullshit. even if they could have brushed off the lack of horns she has people feet instead of deer feet. they should've shot her with the boggarts. hell that would have made her character development make more sense, even as it made elf hitler an even bigger retcon.

or she could've just gone to shadowmoor instead of lorwyn and everything about her would have made a billion times more sense.
>>
>>44076354
But Nissa's personality in all the stories she's appeared in is absolutely insufferable.
>>
>>44076506
she wasn't bad in worldwaker, or whatever the one for her core set printing was called
>>
>>44076386
Oh, you were saying that ANON had the same taste as Sarkhan.

I suspect we're going to get a Jeskai version of the new timeline's Narset on our return to Tarkir. She's one of a handful of people picking away at the basis of the dragons' rule. Between her, Arel, Sidisi, and the Abzan Kennel Club, all the dragonlords except for Kolaghan have seditious elements arrayed against them. And, with any luck, Zurgo will kill Kolaghan like Leia killed Jabba.
>>
>>44076552
Kolaghan is a perfect mistress
>>
>>44076386

Nah, that's bullshit.

Elspeth just wanted to find a peaceful place to live after her horrifying childhood, but bad shit follows her everywhere she goes. The place she tried to settle down got roped into Bolas's doomsday plan and there was no way to get it back to how it was; helping to save it at all required her to expose how powerful she really was, and she couldn't live a normal life there anymore, so she left.

Since then she was guilt-tripped or outright bullied into getting involved in other people's problems and tried to see it through because she thinks that's the right thing to do. She didn't ask for any of the shit she went through, but people dumped it in her lap and Elspeth's tendency to put other people first led to her trying to see it through anyway.

What Erebos offered her wasn't real. She knows Daxos is dead. Her options were to selfishly give up and live in a dream or finish what she started, and she chose the latter.

Pretty sure it's the chain of events that shit on her constantly for doing the right thing that determined Elspeth's not allowed to be happy, not Elspeth. She was a goddamn saint to the people of Theros and got straight-up murdered for her troubles while Jace became the ruler of Ravnica practically BY ACCIDENT.
>>
>>44076552
If anyone is going to die like Jabba it's going to be Silumgar being strangled by Sidisi in a sexy slave outfit
>>
>>44076552
Narset really needs tobe characterized as something beyond "the autistic walker" before I can get behind her. I mean, that's not hard to do, but we're talking about WotC's writers here.

I'd also rather see an uprising and rebelion against the dragonlords rather than actual assassinations/coups. returning to the FrF dragons vs everybody dynamic is easily the healthiest for the plane and offers the best variety as a setting. plus Ugon's got a big fat dragon boner for balance, if that's not what he told sarkhan to do before he left then he's slacking.
>>
>>44076208
Since when are Bolas' goals and motivations incomprehensible?
He wants his premending power back, and is doing everything he can to do so. He wants what he sees as being rightfully his back, because the multiverse decided he wasn't allowed to have it anymore.
It's his short-term goals we don't know, how releasing the Eldrazi fits into it
>>
>>44076627
Her autisticness was the first part of her post dtk story. The entire rest of it was characterization and story. Drumming up everything as "Muh autism" is literally chandere-tier.
>>
Is it too much to ask for a story on how Phyrexia captured Ezuri?
>>
>>44076604
>rotting snake carcass in sexy slave outfit
oh god pls no.

>>44076599
except she didn't say she had to help, or she had something important to do, she threw away Erebos's offer of happiness because, in her own sentiment, she wasn't supposed to have it.
>>
>>44076750
Norn moved in, wrecked the Furnace Layer, that's where the last of the Resistance, including Ezuri was. Then he was dropped in a vat of oil and metal and compleated the green way.
The end.
>>
>>44076662
The second half of her story was her reading and ignoring everything else around her, meeting Sarkhan and going "oh, hey. I'ma stay here and learn some more." she's gotten as much characterization as Tamiyo.
>>
>>44076788
actually the blue way, jin gitaxis did the elf up.
>>
>>44076807
Tamiyo has a single line of dialogue in flavour text and we've never seen inside her head.
>>
>>44076835
we know she surely does like studying that there innistrad moon.
>>
>>44074783
Wastes confirmed
>>
>>44074644

>Kiora KIA
>Jace still on the loose

I want to get off this ride. Please kill this blue fucker already.
>>
Man, we need more Kozilek.

It may be partially headcanon, but Kozilek as the toddler burning ants with a magnifying glass (with Ulamog as the family dog and Emrakul as the busy mom that calls the exterminator) really feels like the best fit to differentiate the Eldrazi.

Kozilek is cruel motherfucker because he knows exactly what he's doing. He's capable of understanding that those little things are individuals with feelings and thoughts, and he kills them anyway. Ulamog just consumes and Emrakul is so far above normal mortals she likely fights and eats forces of nature rather than things.
>>
>>44077024
I love the part with Shen though, where it's clear Cosi both doesn't even notice they're there and certainly doesn't give a fuck about them. Kozilek drives people mad and inspires them to attack their allies purely with his presence, completely unconsciously.
>>
>>44077296
My favorite part was when Kozilek and Ulamog the unfathomable entities equivalent of a fist bump before roflstomping the assembled armies
>>
File: I've seen some s-s-s-hit.gif (3 MB, 459x459) Image search: [Google]
I've seen some s-s-s-hit.gif
3 MB, 459x459
>Kozilek's crown is a fucking mini black hole
>>
>>44076913
What's wrong with Jace?
>>
>>44076807
>Ignoring literally everything between her joining the monastery and her spark igniting
>>
Rip FIshtits
>>
What the fuck has Karn been doing all this time.
>>
>>44078089
Being sad.
>>
File: durdling_around_apr-15.jpg (234 KB, 600x640) Image search: [Google]
durdling_around_apr-15.jpg
234 KB, 600x640
>>44078089
Reseting games.
>>
>>44078106
He's SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
>>
>>44078126
A fuck up till the end, just like papa Urza.
>>
>>44074644
Cool image, OP.
>>
>>44078126
Who uses Karn that way? I could see exiling enemy permanents, but why not cards from your own hand? That's how you set yourself up for a boardstate that your opponent just can't handle, right?
>>
>>44078556
Getting your opponent's stuff usually helps better for keeping Karn alive long enough to use his ultimate in the first place, while hitting yourself gives you less things to protect him with.
You'd want to maybe hit yourself once if at all, and just focus on stealing your opponent's best stuff.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n02db5OSnv1r0pk4w.gif (1001 KB, 500x289) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n02db5OSnv1r0pk4w.gif
1001 KB, 500x289
>>44074868
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/post/74723791349/you-didnt-you-didnt-just-give-kiora-the-maros
>>
>>44078691
>#C H A L L E N G E A C C E P T E D
>>
Can we all please take a moment and think about how great Kelly Digges writing is?
>>
>>44078802
Oh.
>>
>>44079013
Shut up, Kimberly. Being a neuroscientist doesn't make you a good writer. Git gud, for fucks sake.
>>
>>44078802
Eh, it wasn't a memorable UR.
>>
>>44079124
Still better than your best UR, Kimberly.
>>
>>44079050
Oh.
>>
File: 1439772002265.jpg (27 KB, 550x281) Image search: [Google]
1439772002265.jpg
27 KB, 550x281
>>44075972
>waifuing elves.
>>
>>44079151
Whoa calm down. I wasn't even talking about Nisaa.
>>
I don't suppose we'll be lucky enough to actually see Zendikar destroyed, will we?
>>
>>44076070
He's a conqueror and a destroyer. Ob Nixilis fully embraces the part of black that says, "I'm going to do what I want. Screw everybody else." He doesn't care if he doesn't have any plans beyond destroying this current plane because destroying the plane is what he wants at the moment. He's a demon-planeswalker with knowledge of magic pre-dating the Mending; he can literally do whatever the hell he pleases and there are only a handful of beings in the Multiverse who can say otherwise.

As for plans, he does have an unknown number of planes he can visit where he already had an empire going. Ob's likely to go off and reestablish himself in the Multiverse. He's probably even got a mental list of places he wants to get around to conquering now that he can planeswalk again.
>>
>>44080696
You can keep trying to explain him but that doesn't change the fact that he's a shitty villain. Whoo, he's in color but he is still shit. You can "justify" it as much as you want but that's not changing the fact that he's not interesting, he'snot trying to do anything except destroy shit to be relevant. Hell, Rakdos does it better in his sleep.

>a handful of beings in the Multiverse who can say otherwise.
He lost got outsmarted by depowered Nissa and then almost killed by her and survived due to sheer dumb luck.

>where he already had an empire going
They're wastelands devoid of life. He left planes barren and empty. There are no empires to go to unless he wants to rule over some empty buildings.
>>
SO there wont be a black planeswalker for oath will there?

also bfz ebook when?
>>
>>44080988
There won't be any more books.
>>
>>44081236
ebooks
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/magic-fiction-ebook-collection-2015-09-23

they have origins and prolouge to bfz. its essentially just a collected version of UR
>>
>>44080808
How the hell is he supposed to be interesting right now? For the entire time we've known about Zendikar he's just been another weird inhabitant of the plane. We were told he used to be a planeswalker but the Lithomancer had sealed his spark away. After the Chain Veil came into the picture we were told that he used to have it in order to explain why he's a demon as well as demonstrate what the Chain Veil's curse would be doing to Garruk. Now, he's only just gotten his spark back. What do you want?

Do you want a villain who is doing terrible things for a good reason? We're drowning in those since people started paying attention to the antagonists.

Do you want some genius villain who is always 20 steps ahead of the protagonists? We've already got Nicol Bolas for that.

Ob Nixilis fills the old tried and true cliche of the villain who is just evil. He doesn't care about the lives of others. He just wants whatever helps him and whatever he can enjoy. He enjoys dominating entire planes and he enjoys destroying entire planes.

As for Nahiri, yeah she beat him and almost killed him. Keep in mind though that she was an oldwalker, meaning she was practically a god. Not only that but she intimately controls the entire lithosphere of Zendikar. Not only that but she can control the massive network of hedrons across Zendikar that can draw energy from any given target. Sealing away an oldwalker's spark in the middle of a fight with another oldwalker is basically switching out a matador with a puppy during a bullfight.
>>
File: 1436953484185.png (71 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1436953484185.png
71 KB, 225x225
>Story didn't end with the revelation that Kiora was the mind controlled one, not Shen

Opportunity wasted
>>
>>44081380
>Do you want a villain who is doing terrible things for a good reason?
>Do you want some genius villain who is always 20 steps ahead of the protagonists?
What I want is a villain whose entire purpose isn't "Muahaha, now I will destroy the world." "Destroy the world." It's the most stupid, wasteful, edgelordtastic goal that any villain can have. It's wasteful. It's boring. And that's all Obnoxious is.
At least takeover the world and rule with an iron first or something. Doomsday villains are cliche, boring, they're wastes of time and words. They're cliche because they've been done to death and there's no interesting way to do them. Let's look at some goals we've had of villains:
Ashiok wants to create a god of Nightmares
Xenagos was THE Usurper who stuck it to the gods and is indirectly going to lead to their downfall.
Tibalt, fucking Tibalt is a madman evil for the sake of evil that wants to be able to inflict pain and terror the likes of which you can't describe.

There, three villains who are nothing but evil that have interesting goals instead of Obnoxious's "I'mma destroy eberything!"

>Ob Nixilis fills the old tried and true cliche of the villain who is just evil.
Good for him. I never said anything about him being a bad character because he's pure evil. If I did, I wouldn't have mentioned that Rakdos is a better or more entertaining character.

To throw your question back at you: Do you want some super powerful villain who wrecks planes just because? We have the eldrazi for that.
So he's sure of how evil he is. That doesn't mean he's interesting or a good villain.

And I didn't say anything about Nahiri. I said Nissa.
>>
File: Urza's rage.jpg (103 KB, 620x462) Image search: [Google]
Urza's rage.jpg
103 KB, 620x462
>>44082038
Bring back Urza and Yawgmoth
>>
>>44082117
Don't put words in my mouth. Their stories are done and they should stay dead so the story can move on.
>>
File: jeeze ulamog.png (311 KB, 1266x597) Image search: [Google]
jeeze ulamog.png
311 KB, 1266x597
any ideas how zendikar can get out of this mess, because as of now it seems anything short of divine intervention by a multi-planar god is useless
>>
File: Distant memories.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Distant memories.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>44082159
I'll settle for the lore not trying to forget they ever existed
>>
>>44080388
Obviously not. You managed to make a coherent statement, instead of just saying 'Oh.'
>>
>>44083062
They lived how many thousand years ago? They're practically foot notes to history now. Especially on non-Dominarian worlds. That said, a reference like that is all we can ever really expect.
Moving on wouldn't be referencing them like Chandra references Jaya.
>>
>>44076758
>god presents test of will
"Oh, I guess I will give up on saving everyone and just live here happily by myself" said no monowhite character ever.
>>
>>44082321
Assuming they don't resort to Ugin ex Machina, the best hope the Zendikari natives have at the moment...is honestly to somehow separate a chunk of the plane bearing the remaining inhabitants from the rest like a reverse overlay, leaving the bulk of Zendikar to its doom.
>>
>>44082321
Ugin or nahiri will neutralize them and force them to flee, I sincerely doubt Wizards will throw Zendikar away or defeat the eldrazi so easily.
>>
>>44083098
You know there are more people commenting on this thread, right?
>>
>>44082038

Typically Ob's thing from what I understand is that he conquers worlds, rules them with an iron fist for a time, and then wrecks them when he tires of them or they can't provide anything more.

Basically he likes doing to planets what Tibalt does to people.
>>
>>44083384
Oh.
>>
Hey guys! Remember when they had Chandra show up?
>>
>>44083129
Has there been a thousand year gap between Time Spiral (the Mending) and Shards of Alara (new walkers start to become storyline relevant)?

Also there's always Karn. And I don't think you can call that conflict a footnote. Everything is eventually tied back to it.
>>
>>44083513
Someone crunched the numbers and it's been like sixty years since the mending to post-RtR.
However, the Apocalypse was a few centuries before the Mending, and Urza himself was fairly confined to just Dominaria once the Ice Age ended.
>>
>>44083534
The greatest heroes of the multiverse destined to be forgotten by time ;___________;
>>
>>44083706

Let's be fair, while he got a lot of shit done, Urza kind of sucked at being a hero.

He still has this over a number of the gang we're running with today, who also kind of suck at this hero thing but don't get as much done.
>>
>>44083722
To also be fair, some of the shit Urza got done was for the other side, so there's that.
>>
File: Planar Collapse.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Planar Collapse.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>44083722
>>44083741
Urza wasn't completely heartless. He got shit done and I think he did care about the people around him. He just tunnel visioned on the WHITE WHALE a little too much.
>>
>>44083851
>I think he did care about the people around him.
He literally chose not to tell Barrin that his daughter was dead because he didn't think it was as important as his other work. He didn't bother to research a cure for the plague that KILLED said daughter because beating Phyrexia was more important than saving anyone.

That's the thing about Urza. He didn't really care about protecting anyone after a certain point in time. He cared far more about beating Phyrexia, and was willing to give anything and everything to do it--even things that weren't his to give.
>>
File: 130[1].jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
130[1].jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>44083901
>>
File: Obliterate.jpg (24 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Obliterate.jpg
24 KB, 223x310
>>44083901
Well we got one of the reddest cards in the game out of it.

Besides, what's an apocalyptic climax without a little suffering.

In all seriousness I just kind of enjoy the way he so dedicates himself to the point of madness, his ultimate seduction by Yawgmoth and failure, then final self-sacrifice and redemption (though it's up to the individual whether they think it was enough, i suppose).
>>
>>44084076
>his ultimate seduction by Yawgmoth
The problem is that it wasn't really much of a seduction. Yawgmoth didn't have to give the old "we're not so different, you and I" speech because Urza realized it of his own accord before he had even made it to Yawgmoth's room.
>>
File: Phyexian Arena.jpg (68 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Phyexian Arena.jpg
68 KB, 312x445
>>44084121
I meant it in a kinda vague, over time, culminating at the worst possible moment sense.
>>
>>44084228
But, for most of that time, he wasn't even in contact with Phyrexia. He was just preparing and planning.

Which is literally exactly what Yawgmoth was doing back on Phyrexia as soon as he got locked out. Basically the only difference is that Urza had a boner for taking out Phyrexia, while Yawgmoth just had a boner for Rebbec.
>>
>>44082038
>>44081380
Let's pretend I'm Ob Nixilis for a moment, biggest, blackest planeswalking motherfucker in all the multiverse. I've just been doing what I do, being a fucking badass, when some white planeswalking cunt fucks with my shit. Even worse, she seals my spark and strands me on her -home fucking plane-, then fucks off to who knows where. Time passes and I pull some shit and get my spark back. Awesome. What's the next thing I want to do? Oh I know, get revenge on that cunt Nahiri. Say, look at all these eldritch terrors from beyond space and time they've got locked up here. I'm going to free them and completely and utterly destroy her home plane. Man, it's great being a badass.
>>
>>44084345
See, destroying one world because of that, then going back to some empire he left is fine, there'd be more to him than "Rawr, I big demon man blow up worlds!" while still remaining completely evil.
Obnoxious is a bad villain because that's ALL he does. He's going to get free just to go destroy another plane. And another. And another. Except he's not because world destroying entities always fail. It's like, think about how everyone'll complain about how the eldrazi are such pushovers if they fail to even eat Zendikar before getting resealed. That's Obnoxious. Forever. Unless he does something like destroy Kamigawa off-screen.
Unlike other villains who can succeed until they lose.
Xenagos did become a god until he died due to hubris, Ashiok did make his Nightmare god, Bolas DID return to Legacy play, Liliana's down two demons. But Obnoxious is never going to be "down three worlds" that we, or Wizards thinks we, care about.
He's boring because all he has going for him is blowing up worlds because? Hence why I keep comparing him to Rakdos
>>
>>44084570
All of the blurbs and write-ups about him describe him as conquering worlds, not destroying them.
>>
>>44084627
His spark ignited because he killed everyone on his home plane, that's not very conquer like.
>>
>>44084627
He leaves the rock there, but he kills literally everything on the plane, leaving nothing BUT the rock.
He did that with his homeworld, then the next, with the implication that he did that until Nahiri jammed a hedron up his ass so far it stopped in his forehead.
>>
>>44084650

He was one of the warlords conquering it first, which he did successfully.

When there was nobody left for him to conquer, the nihilism set in.

Then the genocide.

Then the apocalypse.

It's not just blowing up the world. He wages wars against the people protecting them, conquers the world, and rules it with an iron fist, destroying it if it pleases him, but he was more of those "emperor of the multiverse" type characters than just a world-blower-upper. He had a huge empire, but he was driven constantly by the need to keep conquering more.
>>
>>44084679
Best girl
>>
>>44084694
She's going to be the white walker in SoI right?
>>
File: recover.jpg (20 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
recover.jpg
20 KB, 200x285
>>44084076

As far as wizards go, Barrin was bullshit levels of powerful, especially for a non Walker. After Rayne was killed, he basically ended the war by himself.

This dude lost his wife because of Urza, had a falling out with his daughter because of Urza, lost said daughter because of Urza, and then Urza tells him years later "Oh yea, she ded." his rage and grief was maximum when he went to bury Hana with Rayne, and well. Boom.

Iirc, the boom was also because Phyrexians had discovered Tolaria.
>>
>>44084691
>He was one of the warlords conquering it first, which he did successfully.
>When there was nobody left for him to conquer, the nihilism set in.
No, mid war he used a ritual that killed everybody on his plane except for him. Then he walked around bored until he ignited.
>>
>>44084650
>>44084679
>>44084734
Conquering means whatever the hell you want it to when there's nobody to disagree with you. He was trying to use the ritual in order to win/end the war, which it did; he was the sole survivor and the sole victor. Plus if a method works once it's bound to work again, so he has his fun waging wars across planes and then ending it all if he sees fit.

He wants to win and he wants to survive. Being the last living being on a plane is the ultimate victory for him because it means he was better than everything else on the plane (in his eyes).
>>
>>44084897
>"ME OB NIXILIS! I STRONGEST THERE IS BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS DEAD! MWAHAHA!"
He's a shitty villain because this is 100% of his character. There's literally nothing else. He doesn't need a tragic backstory, but he's literally nothing but a cliche plot device.
>>
>>44083062
Does he still remember Jhoira?
>>
>>44078691
Fuck you maro.
>>
>>44084957
did you even read his uncharted realms
>>
>>44085424
Yeah, they're completely unreliable because they're in first person. He can portray himself as a badass warrior prince king emperor however he feels like, but in the end all he does is wipe planes clean because "Duh, evil!!1!"
>>
>>44085424
Or put this way, the one time we see him from another characters point of view he's a raving lunatic.
>>
>>44085482

I like the notion that while he has this Machiavellian narrative going in his head when he's digging himself out after Nissa buried him, he was actually screaming and cursing like a sailor the entire time.
>>
>>44085502
>I was completely relaxed and calm as I worked my way out of the dirt.
>"FUCKING SHITSTAINED ELF, AS SOON AS I FIND YOU I'M GOING TO TAKE YOUR STUPID TREE AND SHOVE THE LARGEST BRANCH I CAN FIND RIGHT UP YOUR ASS!"
>>
>>44085482
Well, he sounded rather calm when he was choking out that one Kor.
>>
>>44080988
Drana glimpsed the blind eternities and other planes when she ate that one eldrazi's heart.
She might join up.
>>
>>44085596

Either that or Drana is not going to like the direction her life takes if BFZ goes BAD END and the Gatewatch have to get out of town while she's stuck with Ulamog.
>>
File: untamed_might-som.jpg (59 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
untamed_might-som.jpg
59 KB, 265x370
I like this bit of wisdom.
>>
>>44083722
>Urza
>EVER a hero
He was a mad god, emphasis on the mad.

And fucking sided with Yogie at one point too.
>>
>>44087627
But anon, he did it FOR SCIENCE!

Some of it, at least.
>>
File: 1429156521609.jpg (118 KB, 571x800) Image search: [Google]
1429156521609.jpg
118 KB, 571x800
>>44084694
The real best gril.
>>
You guys know Ob also has issue with the whole "I'mma demon" thing right? When the chain veil changed him he realized humanity was one price he was unwilling to pay for power. Once he's done roflstomping zendikar he's likely to run afoul of lili and/or garruk as he needs to find a cure for chain veil syndrome. also if sorin does know Nahiri's whereabouts, vendetta is a fine non-apocalyptic motivation. As soon as he finds out she's not dead he'll go from world breaker to straight murder fast as shit.
>>
>>44090895
Going after Sorin in order to find Nahiri makes sense. Why would he go after Liliana or Garruk, though?

Liliana's currently holding the thing that turned him into a demon and is being afflicted by the voices coming from it whenever she uses it. If he really does care about becoming human again I don't think he'll want the Chain Veil again until he can find a way to turn human again and then cancel out the curse's effects.

Garruk was going through the curse's physical transformation. The transformation was stopped but not reversed. However that was due to imbedding the hedron from Ob's forehead into Garruk. I don't think he'll be wanting it back any time soon and all it did to him while he had it (other than seal his spark) was cause his wings to atrophy.
>>
Phyrexia returning when?

Vesner Father of Machine's when?
>>
>>44091952
this depends a bit on the writing, but it's not unreasonable to assume he needs the chain veil itself to cure the chain veil's curse. It's also unclear how long he had it or how he got rid of it, he may know more about it than lili does, leading to some black vs black lies and manipulation. as for garruk, I agree he doesn't want his hedron back, but crossing paths if Ob does go after liliana, or garruk looking for him if he catches wind of another veil cursed trying to fix it are both possible
>>
>>44077024
i like to think of kozilek and ulamog as brothers where kozilek is the older one looking out for ulamog when he saves him from getting trapped
>>
File: EN_Garruk_4_Gallery.jpg (551 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
EN_Garruk_4_Gallery.jpg
551 KB, 1200x675
when will Garruk get saved
>>
File: b62aa6f510[1].png (34 KB, 696x664) Image search: [Google]
b62aa6f510[1].png
34 KB, 696x664
>>44090688
>>
File: 1448144604323.png (423 KB, 600x365) Image search: [Google]
1448144604323.png
423 KB, 600x365
Kozilek should start doing a blowjob to Ulamog on the spot with one of his tentacles.
>>
>>44097075
I get her hair being on fire is kinda Chandra's thing but from that angle it looks like she has no actual head, just a torso spewing fire out of the neck
>>
File: 1374929870184.jpg (61 KB, 640x516) Image search: [Google]
1374929870184.jpg
61 KB, 640x516
>>44097535
It can not be unseen.
>>
File: hedrons.jpg (155 KB, 529x370) Image search: [Google]
hedrons.jpg
155 KB, 529x370
So I'm a little confused.
In RoE it seemed like the eldrazi could control the hedrons and do funky shit with them.

Did they just retcon that or has it just not come up with Ulamog's brood?
>>
>>44099734
My guess is that the hedrons were simply inactive during RoE, since they've always been tied to the EoU as the seal for the eldrazi. Since they were inactive and the eldrazi's favorite toy, the eldrazi could use them as they see fit.
Now that they're active with Ugin's magic again, unlikely, but possibly, thanks to Ugin being on plane, the hedrons have reactivated their primary role in fucking colorless shit up.
>>
File: 1440565966257.jpg (156 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
1440565966257.jpg
156 KB, 800x585
>>44099734
Wotc has never retconned anything.
>>
File: Consume_the_Meek.jpg (95 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
Consume_the_Meek.jpg
95 KB, 620x453
>>44094902
When Emrakul rolls around to corrupt him with Eldrazi power and make him even more batshit insane, forcing everyone else to end his misery
>>
Bamp
>>
>>44097075
That is a nice picture. Where's it from?
>>
>>44074644
>A crown of jet-black blades rested upon the nothing that ought to be the thing's head
Weird, I always thought his head was that bulb that kind of sticks out between his shoulders.
>>
File: Leliel Kozilek.png (916 KB, 706x993) Image search: [Google]
Leliel Kozilek.png
916 KB, 706x993
>>44105041
Most people look at that because it looks kind of head-like. But really, it's the CROWN that is really Kozilek. The flesh is just a puppet, a shadow of his passing in this world.
>>
Sorry if I'm off-topic friends but I am new to MTG and just bought two Duel Decks, one Zendikar vs Eldrazi and one Elspeth vs Kiora. I plan to give one to my cousin for a christmas gift and keep one for myself to play with. I'd like the simpler one (>MTG >simple) to be the gift to my cousin. The other I'd like to open tonight and read the rule card inside and learn the game. Are these good purchases or should I return them and consider something else? Thanks in advance
>>
>>44105231
What you've bought there are 4 seperate decks in two packages. They're designed (and theoretically balenced) to fight against each other in those pairs. One is "DnD vs Cthulhu", and the other is "Soldiers vs Giant Fish".

They're fine starters for someone just getting into the game, but the most important thing to learn the game is someone else to play with. Swapping decks all the time certainly helps as well.
>>
>>44105231
Depending on how often you meet with your cousin, you could consider splitting both with him, and eventually combining the two decks.

EvK is W v GU
ZvE is WG v RB

I'd say the best way to pair them up is Kiora with the Zendikar deck, and Elspeth with the Eldrazi deck. Let your cousin choose which he likes best (although Kiora+Zendikar will probably be best) and you take the other two to play with him.

As for other things, the normal $15 decks are great. They come with two booster packs, and while sort of weak they're solid for beginners.
>>
>>44104541
World cup playmat.
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.