[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games like HeroQuest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: pic338410.jpg (193 KB, 1051x664) Image search: [Google]
pic338410.jpg
193 KB, 1051x664
Someone has just deposited £150 into my bank account, or about $225. I want to get a really nice, miniatures-based game akin to the old game HeroQuest. Something for 1+ players that has good replayability.

Preferably it wouldn't JUST be combat-focused, though I know that's asking a lot. Some non-combat skill checks and interactions would be cool. As close to a fully-fledged RPG as possible, yet an all-in-one-box experience with miniatures and a lot of visual appeal? Can it be done?
>>
>>44068100
Descent or Imperial Assault wouldn't be terrible choices.
>>
>>44068100

Space Hulk
>>
>>44068242
>>44068371
Checking them out now. I played Space Hulk on the computer about 18 years ago, it'll be interesting to see the actual board game.
>>
File: d.jpg (181 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
181 KB, 500x500
Descent.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104162/descent-journeys-dark-second-edition
>>
It isn't out yet, so I can't give you a full report on it, but the Conan board game kickstarted this year had a really cool take on the Heroquest formula. This is the picture of the core box contents from the Kickstarter.
>>
>>44068460
That looks amazing, actually. When will it be out?
>>
Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness. Those are Lovecraftian, rather than fantasy. But you're playing investigators, and a lot of that is finding clues.
>>
>>44068591

The only information I can find is 'Some time in 2016', sorry. There's already a few expansions planned, too. It does have the issue of Kickstarter games which have exclusive components that people who buy in later might feel like they're getting an incomplete experience, but we'll see how far the components in the box go.

This is something I've thought about before, though, especially in relation to board games. When I know a board game had kickstarter exclusive components it actually makes me less likely to buy it afterwards. IMO it's a better idea to give kickstarter backers a bonus, mroe stuff in the box for free or some such, but still have all the content available after release. Cutting out parts of the game incentives early adopters, but long term it might do more harm than good.
>>
Is it just me or is Talisman seriously overrated?
>>
>>44068814

Talisman is an awful, awful board game. Barely a few steps above Monopoly and that shit.

I can still enjoy it, but my friends generally refer to it as 'Fantasy misery simulator'. We roll dice while not paying much attention and laugh as awful things happen to one another. Half the time we don't even bother to finish the game, we just stop when it stops being amusing.
>>
File: Arvel_Worldwalker.jpg (90 KB, 554x720) Image search: [Google]
Arvel_Worldwalker.jpg
90 KB, 554x720
Descent looks pretty good when it comes to qts.
>>
>>44068100
advanced heroquest
advanced space crusade

Kingdom death monster is sort of them, but not quite as easy to pick up and play. Also a fuckload more expensive.
>>
File: Descent fans.png (186 KB, 878x688) Image search: [Google]
Descent fans.png
186 KB, 878x688
>>44069072
>>
Yo I was really excited about Descent 2.0 - read alot about it, also hoping for something like Heroquest/Dark World/WarhammerQuest, but quickly found it was too easy to just rush certain objectives and avoid combat, or as the overlord just block corridoors with monsters and that was that.

I actually like the DnD Adventure System stuff, Temple of Elemental Evil looks good with some campaign style additions, have not played it though.

The adventure system stuff is a solid base but also has it's shortcomings, but with some house rules/campaign is pretty good. Tricky to get some players into the theme though, kinda required to really enjoy it.

Currently considering Mansion of Madness or whatever the name is, but still looking for something that really nails the rpg dungeon crawler style.

I'm a big fan of talisman but the mechanics can really just fuck up a groups enjoyment easily. I've heard some expansions help, but even though I own the board game, the majority of Talisman fun takes place on digital..

Need more recommendations.
>>
>all those expansions for Descent
Anyone willing to do a brief rundown of each one?
>>
>>44069171
Also Dungeon Command is fun, solid base mechanics but can end up just culminating in one big well timed combat after turn after turn of prepping and trying to get into position.

Definately nice in that aspect but can be a little anti climactic. The build yor own force idea is great but the product line never realy enabled it, so homemade decks are probly best etc..

The wotc stuff keeps finding good core mechanics but not fully fleshing it out, putting a cap on replay or play length..

We need something to take the crown from Heroquest's ancient throne bound corpse
>>
>>44068100
There is a new Hero Quest coming out called Hero Quest 25th

when...is a good question. still a WIP
>>
>>44069518
Sounds like it's an unofficial follow-up by a bunch of Huehuehues.
>>
Unfortunately it doesn't help you now, but when Super Dungeon Explore Legends comes out, it'll elevate SDE from Gauntletesque monster stomp to more of a classic Hero Quest thing.

SDE itself might be fun for you as well, but it's definitely a more pick up and play kind of thing currently. And it probably all hinges on whether or not you like the art style or not.
>>
>>44068833

Monopoly is being kind. It's closer to Candy Land.
>>
>>44070007
Not him but just thinking about Monopoly makes me sad and angry. I can actually feel the will to live leaving my body. I don't think a comparison to Monopoly can ever be considered kind.
>>
How come no one has mentioned
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17804/dungeons-dragons-basic-game
>>
>>44069891
So is it an expansion or is it a replacement?
>>
>>44069891
I want to get it just because the Claw Tribe Barbarian is cute.
>>
>>44070224
Expansion. Legends adds in all the character progress/campaign elements. You can still play without it, or get it and just pillage it for map set ups and never touch the rp-lite aspects if you wanted.
>>
>>44070256
Yeah, all the new minis are great. I don't really understand the 'standing on axe' pose, but it does at least look like she's flipping her shit and ready to chop up some kobolds.
>>
File: star-wars-poster.jpg (67 KB, 480x719) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-poster.jpg
67 KB, 480x719
How much of the appeal of Imperial Assault is that it's Star Wars? I'm not particularly a fan and nor are most of the people I might play it with.
>>
Anyone played Warlock of Firetop Mountain?
>>
>>44069130
Advanced Space Crusade is fucking boss, resources are all available online too. Check it out on the lost and the damned forums.
>>
Descent is shit and absolutely nothing like HeroQuest. Do not make the same mistake I did, OP, don't listen to these people.
Descent is a game about racing to the finish line. As the heroes you do not want to fight monsters. Ever. You gain absolutely nothing from it. What you WANT to do is to race as quickly as possible to every available loot drop on the board and then achieve the victory condition. Winning the maps is secondary to looting, since you usually make a lot more money from looting than from the map win. If you lose, all that usually happens is that the Overlord gets an additional experience point. And that's not all that bad, since the monsters stay at the same, shitty level.
So, the smartest way to play a campaign is to loot as much as possible in the first half of the campaign, never buy ANYTHING and then, once the second half starts and the more powerful items become available, to kit yourself out and practically win the game at that point.
The rules are nonsensical at times and the presentation is fucking horrible. In typical FFG style, they make a game with simple rules look incredibly complicated and somehow leave glaring holes open.
Again, OP, do not buy this, unless you explicitly want the miniatures.

The D&D Boardgames aren't that good either. You are supposed to play against an AI, but there's practically no strategy involved here. The minis are nice, though, and you get a lot of them.

Arkham Horror has fuck-all to do with HeroQuest. What the fuck, why would you suggest this? Not to mention that the rules suck Deep One Dick. At least reccomend Eldritch Horror, the less shitty version of the two.

I'm going to pick up a copy of Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest today. I heard a lot of good things about it. Among otherer's, it's supposed to be a very "oldschool" game that strongly leans on HeroQuest, so I'm pumped for that.
>>
>>44072443

I don't know about Descent but I find Imperial Assault to be the same. It's actually preferred to run past the hostiles and just reach the objectives.
>>
>>44072478
IA is Descent with a Star Wars paintjob. As I said, there's no point in fighting and unless SW has loot drops, there is absolutely no incentive to stick around on the map.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.