[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm running a DnD 3.5 homebrew game, and I want a magic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: lootingtime.jpg (169 KB, 608x800) Image search: [Google]
lootingtime.jpg
169 KB, 608x800
I'm running a DnD 3.5 homebrew game, and I want a magic item of some kind that will really fuck with my players. No limits, except one rule.

Nothing lethal, unless it's fair.
>>
>>44063446
Snow Globe that summons a real blizzard near you when someone shakes it. 2d3 charges, maybe?
>>
Vorpal grindstone
>>
>>44063446
A cursed umbrella that makes every encounter scale up or down to level-appropriate.
>>
>>44063517
Too obvious. Make it suck the player inside the snowglobe instead.

You could even have them fight the figurine located inside the ball.
>>
>>44063446
Well, what do you mean fuck with? Like mind fuck? Make it hard to play? A stupid, but annoying as shit curse (see the cursed ring thread for those)?
>>
>>44064519
And use it to trap the BBEG in it later.
>>
>>44064550
Maybe. Depends on how savvy the BBEG is. I doubt a Lich would fall for that newbie shit
>>
>>44063517
Snow globe that causes a massive earthquake in a 10 foot radius when shaken.
>>
>>44064525
I would prefer mindfuck, but anything is preferable. I just checked out that cursed ring thread too. Many keks, and I wrote down a lot of good stuff to boot.
>>
>>44064595
It would be cool though, rather than killing the villain to imprison him in his own little world like Khan. And eventually sessions down the line you can have the players visit him again or have him escape and return as the campaign's antagonist.
>>
A magic whetstone that causes any blade sharpened with it to hold a perfect edge for 48 hours. The first time you attempt to cut something with it after those 48 hours are up it instantly becomes dull to the point of being unusable. Useful, but could really screw them if things go wrong.
>>
Fuck with as in annoy: Magic bell that makes a ringing sound in the head of the last person to touch it whenever a living thing moves within 50 feet of it. No range limit and can't be turned off. Keep giving them ambushes/attacks while resting that make the thing worth having but hammer home how incredibly annoying it is to travel with by forcing them to be absolutely still for the bearer to be able to hear anything (then have it ring anyway because a squirrel is in a nearby tree). See how long you can get them to hold onto the thing.

Fuck with as in mindfuck:
Enchanted chess set. Speaks in a monotone child like manner. Always respectful and polite. Grants 'wishes', relatively small things like minor items, the casting of a spell, or important information, for playing a game of chess with it (happens mentally and 'freezes' time for the duration of the game). You get what you ask for win or lose, but if you lose it gets something from you in return. Start with innocent small things. Information about the world around it. Being given a name, etc. Give them a few freebies. See if you can't get them to become attached to the thing and think of it as a friend. Start getting progressively more creepy. A drop of blood. A live mouse. The ability to speak your own name. Five heartbeats of your life (my player's agreed to that one way too easily, you can do a lot of damage in five heartbeats worth of time when the character is standing next to a cliff). A limb. A life.
>>
>>44064851
what happens when the player doesn't pay up?
>>
>>44064968

Most things it can just take (heartbeats, a limb, a life), but that wouldn't be that fun.

For the smaller things that have to be given, like a name or a live mouse it simply doesn't pay out and refuses to play with that person again until they give it what was promised. Lull them into a false sense of security.

For the big stuff though it insists on payment. Character has to make a Charisma saving throw each day to not give the Chess Set what they promised it. Gets harder each day. Might make for a fun 'race against time' scenario if someone chickens out and needs to figure out a way to destroy the thing before it mind controls them into cutting off their own arm.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.