[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>designing games that are too hard to learn and nobody will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9
File: 1.png (34 KB, 635x266) Image search: [Google]
1.png
34 KB, 635x266
>designing games that are too hard to learn and nobody will ever play
do you know that feeling /tg/?
>>
All too well. Some days I can be content just designing for myself, but it creeps up on you.
>>
>>44057158
Teach us, Anon.
>>
File: nravtbW.jpg (74 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
nravtbW.jpg
74 KB, 500x666
>>44057184
>yfw the more you add the harder it is to balance
>>44057270
I worded myself incorrectly, the problem isn't that's too hard, but that it seems totally unbalanced or maybe won't even work.

Do you know of any program that let you mess around with pieces properties and hexagonal grid placement? I can't program for shit.
>>
File: py-50-2.jpg (39 KB, 400x346) Image search: [Google]
py-50-2.jpg
39 KB, 400x346
>>44058130
specifically something that lets you add and subtract the value of surrounding cells in a gradient like this:
http://www.cameronius.com/games/py/
>>
At that point you are supposed to make the game simpler and more playable, you dingus. Games are meant to be played and enjoyed by people, you owe your game to make it playable!
>>
Nah, the games I design are simple and played by lots of people.
>>
>>44059739
This. Creating intuitiveness is pretty much the most important thing in game design of any kind. It has to make sense for the user/player.
>>
>>44059739
>>44059769
That's not even the problem I have now.
The problem now is that I can't even make a prototype to know if the game needs simpler rules or not. Do you know of some framework that let change a hex board rule and cell values?
see >>44058892
>>
>>44057158
I made one like that too
Chess variant.
RULES:
1-like chess but with those changes:
2-rook, queen and bishop move queen
pawn, kngiht and king move just foward
3-you can turn a piece making it face left, right, up or down, this cost a move, pieces start facing foward, this can be made with with queen, rook and bishop
4-you attack by being adjacent to a piece in a way you can attack him, you dont move to the enemy area and cant do it at the same movement as a move movement. You can also attack the square you are at, if there is friendly piece there.
4.1-pawn attack where he is facing, king, queen and knight attack on all 8 directions, bishop and rook can attack in a foward (related to where they are facing), diagonally foward and sideway motion.
5-you have 8 extra pieces of every type, excluding pawns and kings.
5.1-At the turn some piece die, you must select one piece to each one that died and put on a square on first rank, if you select a square that is blocked you will use the next turn to kill the enemy and then on the next one after it try to move to the square. when you decide to put some piece on a square that is blocked by enemy you must select what position the piece that will be there is facing (this before the next turn), it must be some facing position that allow the piece to attack the blocked square and also move to the place
6-You can pass your turn.
7-Game end with king dies, no check or checkmate.
8-You only see the places your pieces can attack, but look at it like queen
9-You can move to a square occupied by enemy
10-When attacking you roll to see if you hit and then to see if you kill instead of doing no damage
11-you can use your piece move to block, this reduce the chance to enemy hit you.

There is separated tables to hit chance to each piece vs each piece with different ones for enemy blocking or not.
>>
>>44059914

What? What are you even doing? You can't just draw on some paper, get some pieces and see if it's doing good things? Your first prototype doesn't need to look great, your tenth prototype doesn't even need to look great. Focus on testing the mechanics early with as minimal effort invested in the presentation as possible since you'll probably end up changing a lot of things very quickly.
>>
>>44059914
draw it on paper, cut it out, physically move pieces around. alternatively, draw it in gimp or inkscape and use layers to move pieces around
>>
File: f.png (437 KB, 788x829) Image search: [Google]
f.png
437 KB, 788x829
>>44060865
Nice, but this is more go than chess related.
>>44061023
>>44061080
I'm trying, but doing this by hand is hard. You really do need a computer to play. Its more cellular automaton than a game if you do it by hand. Are you sure there are no programs to model something like this?
>>
>>44057158
I have a boardgamefag friend who had this issue in spades. He keeps adding more and more to his ideas when even the core mechanics are convoluted at best.

Me on the other hand, no. My ideas start out relatively simple, and every so often I chop off every bit mechanical baggage while still preserving the spirit of the game.
>>
File: w.png (440 KB, 788x829) Image search: [Google]
w.png
440 KB, 788x829
>>44061193
Black and black interaction. Not final, there needs to be balance and also flow... somehow. Still looking for a program to manage this
>>
File: domino-square_0.png (41 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
domino-square_0.png
41 KB, 310x310
Today, I was thinking about a system where each player gets a matrix filled or partially filled with d6 that start off set to whatever they want, and there are two ways abilities interact with this matrix:
Incantations: Abilities that consume dice from the matrix. Ranging from really weak abilities that consume 1 and work with any number, to really powerful ones that consume a lot of dice of multiple specific numbers.
Alignments: Abilities that roll 1 or more dice and place them in empty spots in the matrix. The power of these abilities scale based on how many "connections" the placed dice make. 1 connects with 2, 3 connects with 2 and 4, etc.

The idea started as "using dominoes instead of dice".
>>
>>44061193
>Nice, but this is more go than chess related.
I have my go variants too
2 players
there are 2 boards, you play first one one and second on another.
4 consecutive passes to end game (the last pass must be a white one)
stone scoring system
no dead stones removed at the end of the game.
if some player win on some board the battle dont stop, they continue on the other board.
you must have 2 wins or 1 win and one tie to win the game, if not the game restart on both boards.

at the end of the turn you remove every group without liberty
you cant capture a piece you added to the board at the turn you made the capture
you cant capture a piece that was added to the board on the previous turn
you cant put a stone on a place that had a stone at the start of previous turn but didnt had one at the end of last turn.
>>
>>44057158
pic looks like the dseign i was going to use for a creature battleing boardgame/miniature battle game.
>>
>>44062742
the fuck are you even making here?
>>
I don't know the feels, simply because I get frustrated too early and never finish. I have a bunch of ideas, but if I cram them all in, it's going to be a mess. I like to create, but all I do is destroy.
>>
>>44057158
My friend did this until he realized it was simply bad game design. His last few games have taken no more than 5 minutes to learn and are fantastic.
>>
File: 1446842041972.png (802 KB, 810x511) Image search: [Google]
1446842041972.png
802 KB, 810x511
My big problem is that I can't ever commit to a project.
>>
>>44061193

>you really do need a computer to play

Then this isn't /tg/ related in any way, go look up how to get started with basic videogame programming.
>>
>>44059914
>Do you know of some framework that let change a hex board rule and cell values
Uh...can you define those?
>>
>>44059914
>>44058130
use paper, or better yet, if you buy Tabletop Simulator on steam, you can upload custom mats/cards/pieces to play with as a prototype.
>>
File: h.png (380 KB, 788x829) Image search: [Google]
h.png
380 KB, 788x829
HUGELY simplified rules, thanks for the guidance

>>44069807
It's still a board game at heart, don't hate
>>44070443
still very unsure, but right now it works like this:
-moves like go on a hex board, pieces (red and yellow- color may change) need an empty neighbour to live
-polarity field from every piece (black and white), inverted for the two players, can merge or cancel out
-board in a state of "turbulence" if neutral while close to a field (light blue)
-scoring tbd supposedly charge sharing based

open problems:
-can it even work? I may have missed something that makes it not fun at all, not playable, too easy or too hard, etc.
-charge problems (how pieces interact with field or turbolence)
-groups in scoring
-is it really complex or is it really easy to master? can it be made deeper while remaining simple?
-how do I program the damn thing
-many more
>>
File: ff.png (357 KB, 788x829) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
357 KB, 788x829
>>44074473
>>44062742
new interaction
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.