[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anybody here tried running a game without a Common equivalent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: english.jpg (33 KB, 459x456) Image search: [Google]
english.jpg
33 KB, 459x456
Has anybody here tried running a game without a Common equivalent that everybody just happened to understand? How did it go?
>>
>>44047456
Gufpet dno azijhe ev kturga sro drut pwik vnesp lom ebdi umbek truld og vleb.
>>
>>44047456
ومضى على ما يرام، تجنبت المجموعة الأماكن التي لا يتكلم اللغة.
>>
>>44047938
>>44047895
Whud av dho vavo horrk ulo avai dlavavk da kuav?
>>
>>44047456

I just told them to speak the language of the country they're in.
And because they wanted to travel and do a lot of trading and diplomacy, two of them also made clever characters who could pick up languages very quickly.

What took them by surprise was the regional dialects among their own people, which they avoided by all being from the same city, with one dude being a foreigner who worked there for a while.
>>
>>44047456

>English wanders dark alleys, gets mugged and has words and grammar forcefully deposited in its ass
>>
>>44048160
No, that would be French.
>>
>>44048311
>French

If anything the French always practice safe sex in the missionary position with the lights off. How many other countries have governmental bodies dedicated to the integration of foreign words and concepts into the linguistic lexicon?
>>
>>44047456
I live in a university town in Sweden so I've been playing with some exchange students over the years which enables some funny scenarios. Like when we played WHRP:
>The Bretonnian spoke French
>The two ogres spoke Italian
>The Empire spoke Swedish
>English was basically ''Trade speech''

Actually added a lot to the game.
>>
>>44048311

What that tells about English now that French raped it silly enough to barely remember its parents?
>>
>>44047456
I run a game set in Medieval Hungary. While the wizard PC's speak Latin, which was a sort of universal language among the educated class (other wizards, the clergy), travelling necessitates translators most of the time. Aaaand yet they still haven't bothered to buy or invent the simple spell or item that would solve that problem for them.
>>
We eventually forced the face characters to learn to speak all 12 languages in the setting when it became readily apparent that we could not get very far with our native languages and the most obscure language on the planet, which was our shared party language, and the semi reliable translations provided by the homicidal ghost that lived in my head.
>>
>>44049865
Maybe the Player enjoys the dynamic of the different languages and the problems that can cause?

IIC, yeah, it's a bit dumb not to cast Tongues or whatever, but if he likes the misunderstandings and strange conversations that result, then is it that big a problem?
>>
I use Latin in my current game to represent how Common sounds in-universe. None of the languages in-game have roots languages among them, so I thought it would be funny to have the language most used as a root language by other DMs I've had be the creole of the setting.

My players had a good laugh, since most of them have some sort of linguistic training/experience.
>>
>>44048344
L'Académie française is the most ignored institution in Europe.

>>44048507
Le weekend
Le parking
>>
I ran a game of Everyone is John where any infor I gave out to the other players was private, so you had everyone discussion and playing in global chat while my side was all private chats.

everyone had their info ran through 10 lots of bad translator before given to them
it was set to random translate

Was a pain to run but holy fuck the keks from the game and reading the logs afterwards
>>
>>44047456
> doesn't borrow
> all fancy words are from Latin
Pleb
>>
>>44052688
>didn't read the second half
>>
>>44047456
Normally, you only rob people when you're either so poor, so desperate, or so shittily raised that a run-in with the police is considered a better idea than working for money.
>>
>>44048344
>How many other countries have governmental bodies dedicated to the integration of foreign words and concepts into the linguistic lexicon?

Iceland
>>
>>44048311
Even Danish raped English, like three times.
>>
>>44047456
Yes, it made the world feel more real and alive and less like a thinly veiled excuse to go murderhoboing.

With language barriers scholarly types are legitimately useful, you can have tense situations where nobody understands anyone and have to figure out what's going on, and being from different countries is a big deal.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.