[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Unorthodox ways of using spells and items What are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 1413118053649.gif (355 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1413118053649.gif
355 KB, 500x365
ITT: Unorthodox ways of using spells and items

What are some ways you've used various spells and items in ways that they weren't intended to solve your problems?

For example: casting Water Walk on a dire shark to force it above the surface.
>>
Hahaha, I did the same thing on an Aquatic Vampire to kill it during the day.
>>
File: technicallynotcheating.jpg (19 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
technicallynotcheating.jpg
19 KB, 450x349
>>44047426
Starving villagers had to pay taxes
Petrify the King
No more taxes
>>
>>44047468
Handy spell, eh? Kinda like grease.
>>
>>44047505
That Guy detected
>>
>>44047426
Once used a water jet to propel a sharp chunk of rock through the BBEGs magic-blocking barrier spell.

The barrier blocked my water jet, but the rock kept going and split his skull.
>>
>>44047505
I think that's just murder.
>>
>>44047677
Or regicide
>>
>>44047426
not exactly problem-solving (more like problem-creating) but it may still be relevant:

>be the DM
>party faces the BBEG
>PC is wearing dragonskin armor
>BBEG casts Resurrection on that armor
>>
>>44047773
Kek

How exactly did you describe what happened?
>>
>>44047726
All regicides are murders but not all murders are regicides
>>
File: nom anor.jpg (77 KB, 456x552) Image search: [Google]
nom anor.jpg
77 KB, 456x552
>>44047875
Vong detected
>>
>>44048001
Yes. That is self-evident.
>>
File: dictate of my boss.png (143 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dictate of my boss.png
143 KB, 300x300
>>44047875
RIP
>>
>cloud of daggers centered on the enemy in the middle of their group
>web to catch falling peeps
>find trap to find a dead mouse for yet undisclosed reasons
>>
>>44048023
and also precludes the word "or"
>>
>>44047833
two different descriptions
first one: i just said the PC with the dragonskin armor that he saw and felt his own armor becoming soft, growing and changing, until he found himself in some strange wet and stinky room (that was the dragon's belly)
second one: the other PCs saw the dragon actually growing from the armor

That was maybe the best bossfight-intro I've ever made
>>
If you're a pathfinder alchemist you probably know about the skinsend spell. It's a really situational and risky scouting spell that involves animating your freshly removed skin. It's risky because your body is helpless, and your skin is very susceptible to damage. Try combining this with touch injection to forcefully flay your enemies alive. While they're figuring out what the Fuck happened, you can cut their throat!
>>
>>44047875
>With a wicked smile the priestess casts resurrection, the party looks around for whatever beast she's called up before a gasp from the paladin grabs their attention
>The armor he had made from the she-wyrm they slayed some time ago begins to shudder as stiff leather starts giving way to slick flesh, forcing the paladin to fall to his knees as the growing flesh begins to coil and writhe, rubbing and kneading his body as it swells and expands
>Bones reforming and flesh knitting around him, it continues to engulf the paladin, thankfully it doesn't seem to be crushing him as it grows, in fact going by his moans he seems to be enjoying it
>Oddly, the dragon doesn't seem to be growing quite like they expect, the flesh using the paladin's body as a guideline, it begins to take on a massive and distinctly dragonic, if bipedal and very feminine shape
>The spell completed, the dragoness stretches before taking the time to explore her new body ignoring the party's stares and the priestess's gloating
>A twitch of annoyance is all the warning they get before a swipe of the dragoness's sinuous tail obliterates the noisy priestess so she can go back to feeling herself up
>Once she's taken stock of the situation the dragoness turns to the party, recognizing them as the ones who slew her she takes stock of the chamber as she starts to ask where the paladin is before she lets out a moan, feeling him deep within her
>After a tense stand off she realizes the party has likely grown in power since her death and that she probably has no hope of defeating the party now so she takes to the sky, escaping through a skylight in the roof taking the paladin, still embedded in her flesh, with her

Also you may want to delete your pic, blue board man
>>
>>44048505
paladin would probably suffocate unless there was a direct connection to him
>>
>>44049253
Magic
And a ring of sustenance + fresh air
A good adventurer is always prepared
>>
>>44049253
Umbilical cord.
>>
File: 1342725018945.jpg (89 KB, 600x544) Image search: [Google]
1342725018945.jpg
89 KB, 600x544
>>44048275
>>44048505
[Spoiler]I think I have a new fetish[/Spoiler]
>>
>>44048001
Depends on what you count as a kingdom
>>
I'm still hassling my DM about what would happen if I used sovereign glue to turn a portable hole and a properly shaped frame into a tower shield.
>>
>>44049467
If I were your DM, I wouldn't tell you anything - but I would ask if your character seriously wanted to try it.
>>
>>44049572
Oh he would, this is the same character that has made a habit of carrying around a shrunken catapult and once used it to launch himself at a tower.
Threw a window patch from a robe of useful items at the wall right before impact, screaming "dynamic entry!" as he crashed through. Yes, the party has had to res me several times.
>>
Had a door that I could stick on a surface to make an entrance into the interior of buildings.

Stuck on an evil wizard's back, opened it and watched all his bones and organs fall out.
>>
>>44047426
I had an Arcane Archer who used silent image and major image alot.

A few times to replicate invisibility sphere, mirror image, ventriloquism, and unseen servant.
>>
>>44047526

>>Grease
Holding off a siege on the castle walls? cast grease on the grappling hook ropes and siege ladders.
Grappled by a giant monster? Grease yourself and squirm out.
Stubborn mechanism won't work? Grease.
Seriously, it's the WD-40 of spells.
>>
>>44049742
>it's the WD-40 of spells.
What's the duct tape?
>>
>>44049772
Hold person
>>
>>44049772
That's a good question, actually. Sovereign glue, maybe? or perhaps rope trick?
>>
>>44049702
In my campaigns, messing with extradimensional storage spaces is the one way you get drawn into Lovecraftian shenanigans.

So on the downside, there's a possibility your soul is going to end up in thrall to an outer god if you try something like that.

But on the upside, there's a possibility you'll usher in the doom of your home plane.
>>
Converted party's walking around money and loose change into silver pieces.

Filled a portable hole with aforementioned silver pieces.

Used my ring of spider climb and a casting of invisibility to sneak into the royal throne room of the king that we knew to be a shape shifted devil/demon (I forget which).

Stuck the portable hole to the ceiling.

Let the dr/silver, 10,000gp worth of silver coins and good old fashioned gravity do the boss battle for us.
>>
>>44049914
I thought silver was more of a werewolf thing?
>>
>>44049968

Nah, some Devils in D&D are affected by silver (and demons by Cold Iron).
>>
>>44049968
What is a gram?
>>
>>44050038
A...unit of measuring weight?
>>
>>44048301
>using spells this stupid
In an actual game, this kind of thing calls for unorthodox use of a chair
>>
>>44050038
not everyone reads Rothufus, meng
>>
>>44047426
I used animate rope on a dead bandit's intestines. Wrapped them around a living bandit's head. To distract him.
>>
I like using unconventional tactics in RPGs...but sometimes it feels a little too metagamey. Winding up pointlessly drawing out a combat by asking, "Can I do X," a bunch of times until the DM says that that's dumb, when you could have just shot the enemy in the face, always feels bad.
>>
>>44047426
shoved a polymorphed enemy down another enemy's throat for obvious results.
>>
>>44048019
damn the vong were so fucking edgy
>>
>>44049968
I think it was a devil, I'm not sure, the wizard had the knowledge skills I had the sneak check.
>>
File: 381.jpg (567 KB, 1008x3269) Image search: [Google]
381.jpg
567 KB, 1008x3269
>>44047468
>>
>>44047773
But if it's just the skin, would that even work?
Also, the BBEG now has a dragon in his throne room. Regardless of the heros, he's just fucked himself over as well.
>>
>>44051302
>But if it's just the skin, would that even work?
Yes, even dust will work unless it's raise dead
>>
>>44047426

I've posted this here before, but once my PCs used a glue bomb to render a caster villain (who was meant to be a significant challenge - mobile, aoe spells, etc) completely useless, then leisurely chopped him to bits. The PC who had the glue bomb held it for two IRL years. I very much enjoy giving my players 'quirky' one-shot magical items, and usually they expend them pretty quickly, but not this time and I had forgotten about it...

I just.. gave the encounter to them. The wizard was gutted. I was completely outplayed. It was fantastic.
>>
>>44049467
Wouldn't the portable hole simply become a hole in the shield, rendering it useless?
>>
>>44047426

I had a politics heavy game once way back, and an enemy NPC was making a speech before a council of nobles for a war policy that the PCs faction didn't support.

Andrew kept having his character make audial illusions during the bad guy's speech to mimic the sounds of farting coming from where he stood, completely ruining his oratory.
>>
File: this but with dead skin.gif (979 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
this but with dead skin.gif
979 KB, 500x372
not something I've used but I did come up with and plan to use, was to have a necromancer use dead skin, bugs and hair to form a "outer skin". sort of a last minute defence to by it's user some time to come up with a plan and has earned the necromancers the nickname rot lords due to the horrible smell.
>>
>>44048001

That's not necessarily true, not every killing is a murder so it is possible to kill a king without murdering them meaning you can have regicide without murder at all.
>>
>>44050200
Underrated post
>>
>>44047426
Light + Crossbow and Bolt = Flare gun
>>
Spider climb + long hair = elegant, ceiling dancing in the dark.

Drow forms are all claws and twisted, anonizing stances full of malice and a taste for blood.
>>
File: churras.jpg (86 KB, 640x466) Image search: [Google]
churras.jpg
86 KB, 640x466
>>44047426
It's probably too simple, but I kept a flaming sword just because I fucking love barbecue.

Looking for wood? Fuck that, jam those dire ribs on the blade and let it roast from the inside out.

Vamo espetá essa picanha mermão.
>>
>>44048001
Depends on the setting
>>
Used my rocket punch gauntlet as a hookshot to save the party cleric from falling into acid.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 180x136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 180x136
>>44050174
Brutal
>>
>>44051302
Yeah, some more powerful resurrection spells (depending on the setting) only need a portion of the body for resurrection for the soul to tether to.

That's hilarious!
>>
We used a tree creation token with immovable rods to blow a hole through a wall. Good times. Same campaign saw us baleful polymorphing an angel into a turtle that we carried around in a baby carrier, thus forcing him to watch all of our evil acts helplessly.
>>
>>44048505
> a few months later, the party was sent a giant egg, the size of an adult man, via kobold messengers
> it hatches with ease
> inside is the paladin, now with the half-dragon template.
>>
>>44055135
He has however, taken a large amount of psychic damage from the horrors he endured a well as developed severe claustrophobia and a dragon fetish.
All in all though a win.
>>
File: NOPE2pointoh.gif (5 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
NOPE2pointoh.gif
5 MB, 480x360
>>44055150
>>44055135
>>44048505
>>
>>44048275
>Resurrection
>Casting time: 10 minutes
>>
>>44047773
You sick motherfucker
>>
>>44047426
I mage a wizard/swordmage in 4e and used the various daggers that could change the element of an attack made with them, the DM murdered that character and house ruled magic missile to require a roll
>>
>>44047426
Vials of Durance
GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL

Does using magical items as explosives count?
>>
>>44047505
>Starving villagers had to pay taxes
>Petrify villagers
No more starving villagers.
>>
I once used Magic Mouth to confuse a Gibbering Mouther enough to get it to stop killing our party. I'm quite surprised my DM allowed that honestly
>>
One of my favorite Pathfinder characters was my Halfling Sorcerer and his "lucky rock."

Said rock was actually a large boulder with Shrink Object + Permanency on it, shrank down and smoothed out into a sling bullet.

Load it into a sling, cast True Strike, and imagine the look of surprise on the entire table's face when a halfling somehow launched a boulder at a marauding ogre
>>
>>44055223
I thought 4E's Magic Missile aready did require a roll?
>>
>>44055290
Similar experience with the wizard in our party in 2e with the Item spell and a huge iron door of Dwarven make. Almost killed a white dragon in one hit with that fucking thing. We also used it as a raft on a lava river once too (thankfully it was a short crossing).
>>
>>44055309
Early on I think, but they changed it to auto hit
>>
>>44055318
I'm unfamiliar with that spell, explain
>>
>>44055318
all on the magic schooool bussss!
>>
>>44051573
It's not a hole mounted on a shield, it's a framed hole that is shaped like a shield.
>>
>>44047426
Illusory chairs, food and prestidigitawhateverthatonecantripis to get a bunch of orcs tear each others a new one.
>>
>>44049914
How much damage does a falling coin do?
>>
>>44055457
It's actually how much damage does 100,000 falling chunks of silver do.
>>
Water walking + Shape Water

Flying at level 5
>>
>>44055525
Not much, considering the throne room was only a story or two high.
>>
>>44055457
As for 3.5 rules, none.
>>
The mage in my Shadowrun group once indirectly killed a corrupt border guard that was standing in the middle of the road by casting Improved Invisibility on him, and the guard was then promptly run over by a truck.
>>
>>44050200
Either 1 your method wasnt fun or clever or 2 you have a shitty dm.
>>
>>44048001
Killing a king is always regicide but regicide in of itself isn't always murder.

The dead man's pointy metal hat rule is a bloody one.
>>
In Drakar och Demoner there's a spell called gravitational sphere, which creates a small sphere around the target where the gravitational direction is always towards the person's feet. The intended use for the spell is for walking on walls and ceilings, which we certainly used it for, but when a new member joined the party we found a new use for the spell. You see, he played as something like a dwarven runemage, and they have access to a specific high cooldown rune that turns them invulnerable for a short period of time. Thus was born the Meteor Dwarf strategy, in which i cast the gravitation spell on him, had him point his feet upwards to fly hundreds of feet into the air, and then he would simply point his feet down again and carefully aim towards an enemy, using the rune mid-descent. The result was a hilariously stupid guaranteed one-shot of anyone, because noone survives being hit by a plate-clad dwarf falling on them from hundreds of meters. Great times.
>>
>>44055730
What did you do if you had to fight indoors?
>>
>>44052728
The best goddamned use of a flaming sword ever conceived. Why have a tinderbox when you can just carry your magical sword around and use it instead?

Meu mano brasileiro!
>>
>>44055656
Let's assume a silver coin weighs around a third of a gram. That's 30000g of weight. 30kg. Almost as much as a big bag of cement. If I drop this much weight from the second story onto your head, will you die? Maybe. Sure this is probably more than survivable for a demon, but that just shows that either I'm using the wrong weight for a pure silver coin or that fate smiled on them that day.
>>
>>44055757
>a silver coin weighs around a third of a gram
What.
>>
>>44055755
Flaming chef's knives must be a thing in high fantasy, no?
Vorpal knives too, for cutting anything and everything.
Though the chefs would have to be careful they didn't end up injuring themselves like the ones in Fallout:NV and their Cosmic Knives.
>>
>>44055738
If he's high enough, he can DYNAMIC ENTRY through the ceiling.
>>
>>44055808
I'm just making shit up as I go along, we don't even know how big these silver coins are.
>>
>>44055757
As of 3.5, 50 coins no matter what material weigh 1 pound. It's 2000 pounds of silver.
>>
>>44055869
2000lbs is 900kgs, or .9 tonnes. Far less survivable.
>>
>>44055862
Medieval silver pennies which are tiny weigh about 1.5 grams.

A Roman silver Denarius is 4 grams or more.
>>
>>44055860
Sure, but I'm more worried about the ascent. He won't have enough momentum to break through the ceiling on his way up.
>>
>>44055738
We never had the correct opportunity to use it indoors. Indoor fighting was resolved through bloody fighting instead, unless the other party mage got off a chain lightning instead. Those poor charred dwarves never stood a chance.
>>
>>44055318
>Item spell
I've never heard of that, what does it do?
>>
>>44055838
>Flaming chef's knives must be a thing in high fantasy, no?
>Vorpal knives too, for cutting anything and everything.
Now i know what I'm going to add when i finally get around to running that Dungeons the Dragoning campaign.
>>
File: AkumetsuFuckYes.png (242 KB, 687x482) Image search: [Google]
AkumetsuFuckYes.png
242 KB, 687x482
>>44047426
Our party once needed to assault a floating city that belonged to the Eladrin, but was being held by a blue dragon and its forces. This posed a problem, as any attempt at landing would be met with force--so, prior to takeoff, my character had a chat with the chief engineer and got some Windows of Escape installed onto the ship. Windows of Escape are a low-level (level 2) Wondrous Item that, if jumped or fallen through, negates any and all fall damage. So we loaded our cargo hold up with dwarven shock troops, flew over the city, and let it rain.
>>
>>44049772
50ft of rope
>>
Prestidigitation to remove someone's heart a slice at a time
Create Water inside their lungs
Light on their retina
Summon a whale above the BBEG

Enjoy killing or incapaciting any enemy no saves allowed with cantrips
>>
>>44056339
I don't quite think prestidigitation is quite that good. Sneaking a coin into their arteries, maybe. If they haven't got any sort of magic themselves or resistance.
>>
>>44056339
Now that's just going against the spirit of things.
>>
Only thing that comes to my mind is one of my characters tossing a coin to decide on something, then blasting a hole in it mid-air with an energy beam because she already made up her mind.
>>
We used a turn-to-stone spell to effectively put a wounded party member in stasis so they wouldn't bleed out before we could find proper medical assistance.
>>
Used an AT Field to stop time for a few seconds. Wasn't enough.
>>
>>44056339
None of these remotely work, you're a retard.
>>
File: 1261167251154.jpg (10 KB, 160x107) Image search: [Google]
1261167251154.jpg
10 KB, 160x107
>>44047426

Be a bard in a group consisting of a Human Sorcerer, Dwarven Fighter, Human Cleric, and Half Elf Rogue.

Group builds a theme around being a troupe of performers who go from town to town, with my bard as the star actress and performer. Something of a Rarity prima donna meets a Miguel and Tulio scammer.

Group gets annoyed when I don't learn any useful spells

Evict an entire dungeon of ogres by dressing up as a banshee, casting Dancing Lights, Hideous Laughter, and Ghost Sound, and scaring off the residents.

Give "the look" to the rest of the group for calling me the fifth wheel
>>
>>44056477
You're like in the top 5% of high quality D&D players. If only more people played like this instead of treating it like literal tabletop WoW.
>>
>>44056423
That is awesome. Please, elaborate.
>>
>>44056497
To be fair, you'd need a GM who'd run with it.

Some GMs really do treat it like tabletop WoW.
>>
>>44056440
[citation needed]
>>
>>44056498
Not much more to say other than that. It was a DBZ campaign, character was a Saiyan who earned the right to wish for immortality, (because in the campaign the dragon balls were actually governed over by a god) and had a hard time deciding on it.
>>
>>44056568
Did they pick immortality?
>>
>>44056577
Yeah, with the goal of becoming an attendant to the aforementioned god in mind, who was her mentor and friend. The difficulty was in that another friend of hers was presented with the offer, and declined it.
>>
>>44055135
>>44055150
That could actually make a half-decent quest if you could just keep your penis in your pants for a few minutes.
>>
>>44055757
>>44055862
>>44055869
>>44055902
I think I can say with some degree of accuracy that having to do this kind of maths is the exact reason my GM gave up and just gave us that one as a creative work around on the boss battle.
>>
>>44056562
You don't have line of sight to the inside of a person dumbfuck. Which is even disregarding that Prestidigitation can't remotely do what you want it to do, even if could literally see the targets heart. Oh, and it even says in the Create Water description that "Note: Conjuration spells can’t create substances or objects within a creature."
Light has the range of Touch, so yeah, that works I guess, you're a fucking genius
You can't summon stuff into thin air, it's always summoned standing on a flat surface or the spell fails

I know this even as someone who has barely played D&D, you fucking suck
>>
File: 979_5.jpg (197 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
979_5.jpg
197 KB, 728x409
>>44047426
So, some settings have magical/eternal ice which they create equipment with.

Fuck no. I use it to make ice-cream. In my setting, the guy who started selling the chipped bits from the armor-making process got richer than the smiths.

Even pesants can buy the simpler flavors, cities have cold chambers to store surplus foodstuffs, cold beer is an actual thing and so on.
>>
>>44056339
Prestidigitation is mainly for small shit. It does none of those things. You use it for things like soiling a guest or guard at a party to create a distraction, or dirtying up your rogue's face for a quick bum disguise or put insignia or tattoo on a victim to make them look like they're a criminal or from an opposing faction. It's something you really have to be creative with, but makes roleplay heavy campaigns a ton of fun. You can also use it to disguise the taste of poison to taste like high quality ale if you want to assassinate someone or just make barely edible food into tasty morsels to sell at a profit.

>>44056477
I like this idea. I used silent image a lot to make it look like the walls were closing in on a bunch of orcs in a cave.
>>
>>44047426

> party starts on island surrounded by a magic semisphere that kills who trespasses
> I play druid
>"Can corpses get through without harm?"
> GM:"Yes, they can"
> I instruct my freshly created treant to toss my bones in a sack and then launch the sack through the barrier
> Use swarm skin and stare at my bones getting through
> swarms get killed by barrier and druid gets his flesh together
> escaped
>>
>>44056753
>flat surfaces

How do summoning spells work on the Astral Plane? Or Limbo?
>>
>>44056904
same setting

after learning that this works, every other PC seppukus his way out waiting for druid to reincarnate them
>>
>>44056664
In fact, it has already been made into a videogame:

Joust.
>>
>>44056953
>Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

that's the exact rule
>>
>>44057018
I don't see how that game is related in any way.
>>
>>44057023
Astral Plane actually can support a lot of creatures. There is breathable air and there is no time, so no food/water/sleep is needed.
>>
>>44055995
That's why you never go into a dungeon through the door. Only through the ceiling.
>>
>>44057518
>there is no time
So how does anyone move?
>>
>>44057602
Correction: time passes, but has no effect.

As of movement, subjective gravity. You imagine "down" whatever direction you want to move and just fall. To stop, you stop imagining. Also, when you "fall", you don't feel anything, the "landscape", if any, moves toward you.
>>
>>44055290
Reminds me of the one where a player but a ring of magic dispel on the end of their musket and loaded it with boulders.
>>
>>44055672
100.000 times none is still none. Whole attack pointless. Blame the rules, not the DM.
>>
You know the spell Find Steed?

You can have great fun with that. Cast Cone of Cold and get a twofer

I am currently playing URIST VODKABEARD, MOST RUSSIAN DORF IN MOTHERLAND, who rides his ice breathing bear IVAN
>>
>>44055730
>Drakar och Demoner
hold me
i'm getting nostalgia feels
>>
>>44047426
i remember when Korra wasn't the heartthrob icon of millions of tumbrite lesbians....

i used grease spell to make designing machines more plausible..that shit is great for lubing compley geras and pulleys...
>>
File: 39691937_480mw.jpg (173 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
39691937_480mw.jpg
173 KB, 480x720
>>44056157
i like you....
>>
File: 1412032985793.jpg (100 KB, 619x1015) Image search: [Google]
1412032985793.jpg
100 KB, 619x1015
One of the spells a paladin, bard, or ranger can get in splatbooks in Pathfinder is Horn of Pursuit. It lets you give off three notes of a horn that can be heard for two miles.

Since I was a paladin, and there was a bard in the party, if we ever split up we'd use the Horn of Pursuit to signal to each other. Since we only had three notes, we made a simple system of signals based on some of the Legend of Zelda songs that could be recognized in three notes.

>Saria's Song: regroup - implies no danger, but need to talk
>Song of Storms: kind of vague and not really used - generally to indicate some sort of flood or other natural disaster
>Song of Healing: Wounded/man down, need assistance
>Song of Soaring: need to retreat
>Zelda's Lullaby: safe to rest/return to the castle
>Sun's Song: making camp until morning. Sometimes used to say 'here be undead'
>Epona's Song: bring help quickly

It was a bit costly to use up a spell slot on, but it was very effective if we knew we were going to split up. We fiddled with the idea of using a reply of three notes to finish a six-note song, but we never needed to use those - anything more complex and the bard could just use Clarion Call.
>>
>>44050038
Gram is a magical sword, Bro.
>>
Thrown pouches of flour combined with the dragonborn's fire breath to make explosions. Flour, when dispersed, is crazy flammable and explosive.
>>
>>44059901
I've seen some stuff about it being really flammable, but is it really a good explosive? You'd think people would have weaponized it then.
>>
>>44059971
Look up "flour mill explosions", or even "dust explosions". A lot of spread out powders will go boom.

I'm not sure why nobody has weaponized it. Probably because there are other options, and it's hard to guess how big the explosion would be, combined with the risk of wind moving it.
>>
>>44049742
>Grappled by a giant monster? Grease yourself and squirm out.
>Casting a spell while being grappled
>by a Giant monster

Yeah, you sure do buddy. Fucking delusional wannabe spellspammers
>>
>>44047426
I once casted create water while attempting to strangle someone as a druid and managed to drown them. It was the culmination of a fucking brutal fight.
>>
>>44059971
Only really explosive when it completely saturates the air. Especially in an enclosed environment.
>>
>>44055838
>cutting and cooking steaks at the same time!
>>
>>44055672
Nope. 50 coins is 1lb. So they weigh 0.02lbs
>>
>>44049312
Is it fucking up the spoiler tags? Because that's hot
>>
>>44055150
>developed severe claustrophobia and a dragon fetish.
>Everything eventually goes full circle and he ends up facing off against the dragoness alone
>Things go a bit strange due to his dragon fetish, she doesn't seem too opposed to his Freudian slips though
>She only makes it weirder when she seductively mentions she wants him inside her once more and yes she means ALL of him, triggering the hell out of his claustrophobia
>Fear and arousal war within the paladin as he faces off against his greatest foe
>By the time the rest of the party get there the paladin is nowhere to be seen, though the dragoness's moans heavily hint to his fate
>>
>>44047426
Open/Close being used on buckles on armor, belts, and other forms of clothing.
>>
>>44055135
>>44060815
My penis is confused.
>>
>>44049742
fun fact : grease is quite flammable, and have a tendancie to melt when heated. You know what to do, guys.
>>
File: 1431318232288.png (634 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1431318232288.png
634 KB, 960x720
>>44060941
The way I see it, just about anyone can be turned on by something described in an erotic way, even if they don't actually like that fetish. Maybe on some level a hole's a hole, or even if you don't like some kink, you can still get hot and bothered by rather generic and unspecific descriptions of it that don't get much into the really specific details of the fetish that would turn you off. If the greentext story described the paladin getting swallowed, his armor scraping against her esophagus and his limbs wriggling inside her stomach, that might take away the appeal.

So embrace that confusion - it shows some part of you is still pure and hasn't delved too far into a world of weird fetishes. You just enjoy the idea of arousal and lust shared between two people - imaginary people being turned on makes you turned on.
>>
>>44050200
Well, that depends. If you aren't likely to win a fight using normal tactics, or at the very least lose members of the party, trying something drastic can save lives. Or if you are currently against mobs, such as a siege assault, they can let you hold out longer than the enemy can

A personal one was Manifest Tool in a Dark Sun game. Distractions, rope for a pulley system to climb up a volcano, ladders, ten foot poles, it did it all. Best use was likely the hammer that got used to cave a building in on a boss, a beast that got sicced on the party that dealt constant necrotic damage. Made the fight far more manageable.
>>
>>44055318
Ever use doors as improvised rogues? It was a dungeon full of traps, we had no rogue, and there were heavy metal doors everywhere. We realized that the doors would likely handle mechanical traps fairly well, so we just began collecting them as we went deeper into the dungeon, laying them on the ground to avoid poison spikes that shot up from the ground, using them as braces in a collapsing ceiling room to buy us all enough time to escape, using them as impromptu shields against scything guillotines, and to activate magic tiles which would blast the square that someone stepped on. Different character used one for a dungeon as a weapon, a shield, and a board for an ally to surf at a dragon since they couldn't get near due to speed and it was the heaviest thing to throw at it.
>>
File: refutation.jpg (36 KB, 296x289) Image search: [Google]
refutation.jpg
36 KB, 296x289
>>44052434
A killing is a homicide only if it was intentional. Otherwise, it was manslaughter. Logically, then, regicide requires intent - otherwise, it's just kingslaughter.
>>
>>44061713
What if you were intending to kill a general group, but not specifically the king? Like you were using a trebuchet against your enemies in a castle, and one rock just so happened to splat the king.
>>
>cast levitate to get to the top of the cave ceiling
>use stone shape to loosen rock above the enemy
>deal 100+ damage at level 7 in one go

I felt really bad for invalidating those encounters afterwards, though. I'm glad everyone else thought it was funny, at least.
>>
Levitate to unlock doors by moving tumblers
>>
>>44060815
Alas, a brave and noble warrior has fallen, consumed by a fierce Dragon

Truly his tale shall be told throughout the realm, although the details of how exactly the paladin was consumed was, regretfully, lost to time. And there is a unfortuante spelling error that says he "was Layed by the Dragon", instead of "was slayed".
>>
>>44063253
I once had a wizard use Levitate on me (a ranger) so I could climb up the wall of a room and stand upside-down on a ceiling. When the spell was about to run out, I used a tanglefoot bag that the alchemist had made for me to stick myself there for a few extra rounds.

I had to make fortitude saves to keep from passing out, and after about six rounds it grew brittle and I nearly died from the fall, but it allowed me to assassinate an orc chief as the party lured him into the room. My skills and the bonus on the sneaky attack allowed me to override the penalties I took thanks to the tanglefoot bag.
>>
>>44063535
If that legend is ever mentioned in your campaign, you can be sure you'll be fighting a clan of really weird half-dragons soon. And you can bet your ass that at least one member of the party gets same treatment as that paladin.
>>
File: IMG_1070.jpg (399 KB, 1069x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1070.jpg
399 KB, 1069x1600
I used Ghost Sound to make a high pitched whine that the DM said incapacitated a pack of hell hounds.
I used enervate to make a drow diplomat think he was poisoned by his own bodyguard.
I used keen edge on an axe to make it cut through a stone door.

As long as you're not breaking the game, and you use some logic, good DMs will let you bend most of your spells.
>>
>>44063740
Why not the whole party?
Especially if they lose against the dragoness
>>
>>44063740
some people just don't learn not to wear dragonskin armour around people that can use Resurrection.

Or possibly they have learned too much, it gets hard to tell sometimes.

Hopefully they arn't wearing anything that's from a male dragon. That would be very unfortunate.
>>
>>44063843
That's what the "at least" is for. You might assume that party will show resistance after the first character has been taken by surprise.
>>
>>44062751
By that point its probably just war.
>>
>>44047426
I shoved a small rock into a crack in a wall and cast Enlarge on the rock to create an opening in the wall.
>>
>>44063873
>wearing anything that's from a male dragon
>Worst case, they find themselves trapped forever in the dragons internal balls, constantly drenched in thick and virile dragon sperm, the only exit far far too small for them to fit through
>Best case, they become part of the dragon dick and get the feel everything with the fucks something

>>44063874
So, would she just snatch the first one up and then boss battle starts or would this be a hopeless boss battle and the PCs have to escape after she "consumes" one of them?
>>
>>44063874
Adventurer, despite the rumours you have heard in town, there are no dragons, or dragon looking things, in this area. It is mearly a omnious cave that moans a lot, and it has claimed all the foolish adventurers who went in there. Please help the town out with it's other problems, because seriously we've lost a LOT of people to that cave, don't go there.
>>
>>44064087
Everything you said just makes me want to go there more, everything you just said would make an adventurer want to go there more you know that?
>>
>>44064135
>explore the town
>it becomes immedeatly obvious the town has a small cult built around offering yourself to a dragon
>It's run by some very exasperated-looking Kobolds, apparently they just really need more of their kind to look after some sort of egg nursery
>>
>>44063575
Why didn't you just tanglefoot one of your hands to the ceiling?
>>
>>44064081
To be honest, I'd never give a player a bad end simply because of a silly thing like "they didn't check if the dragonskin armour was male".
They'd get out of it somehow, reunite with the party, and everyone would continue onwards.
It's just that they'd never, ever, ever speak of how they managed it to anyone. And probably would have some very bad psyche issues that nobody would want to know about.

At least the dragon wouldn't ever bother humans again, and thats what really counts.
>>
>>44062751
>killing army leaders, ie the general groups
Pretty sure that's just genocide, not kingslaying.
>>
>>44064298
Because I needed to use my bow, of course.
>>
>>44064335
True, while hot in a story that sort of thing would only fit if the wearer kept fucking up rolls and made bad decisions all throughout the resurrection
Still...
>Knight and ladyknight bonding over their mutual trauma from having their dragon skin armor resurrected
>He got caught in the dragoness's womb, pleasuring her for months until her body rebirths him as a half dragon, and even after that she uses him as a living dildo until he's reborn again each time she meets him
>The ladyknight got caught in the dragon's balls, drenched in and living off of his cum for nearly a year, growing more and more dragonic all the while, only getting out when he came so hard she was forced out as well, straight into the knight's arms in the depths of the dragoness's womb, and now they wait for the egg that's formed around them to be layed
>>
>>44064613
Ah, the wonders of Dragon courtship.

truely, two kindred spirits have found eachother to help cope with their situations, knight and dragon alike.
>>
>>44064613
>>44064727
If two half dragons are put in the same egg, does a whole dragon come out?
>>
>>44064781
No, out comes two half dragons
>>
>>44064781
I doubt it, but it might be a very large egg containing two half dragons, which the Dragoness might like.

A inquiry may occur on how large a dragon egg can actually be, depending on how many half dragons are available.

I doubt the Kobold servants are amused at this development.
>>
>>44064081
>So, would she just snatch the first one up and then boss battle starts or would this be a hopeless boss battle and the PCs have to escape after she "consumes" one of them?
That would be pretty dickish from the GM, honestly.
You're better off aproaching the player openly with a situation that leads to this, just without them knowing.
I.e. the area worships the dragon an considers being transformed as a great honor as it makes you more than human.
You obviously don't know this, and after dealing with some bandits the barbarian is told he was granted an audience with lady whatsherface to receive a gift for his great bravery.
The dragon however want to recruit him into her bodyguard, which is of course considered a great reward. So she grabs him, fade to black and a week late he's shat out as a dragon girl or whatever.

I think it would be better to not just have dragonborn servants, just to highlight how screwed up the situation is.
But then I also wouldn't run the thing so sexual.
>>
>>44047426
>ITT: Unorthodox ways of using spells and items

>All illusionary spells or effects are Unorthodox.
>Thus there is no unorthodox way to use an illusion spell or effect.
God dammit... Those are my go too.
>>
>>44047426

>making lvl 1 levitate on target in Morrowind
>best cc in the game
>>
abridged story version for anyone who wants to save it

may think about adding the after-story discussion that we're having later
>>
>>44065145
Morrowind is easier to break than not.
>stealing with telekinesis
>constant effect 1pt levitate belt
>becoming a god with exponential alchemy
>>
Ingredients:
>Decanter of Endless Water
>Ring of Alter Liquid
>Crazy Wizard
>Fly Spell
>Any Fire Spell
Final Results
>Fuel-Air-Explosive Airstrike Wizard
Three Kobold encampments, two angry mobs of villagers, and an entire Orcish army can't be wrong.
>>
File: tgwritesdragon-paladinromance.png (197 KB, 800x2919) Image search: [Google]
tgwritesdragon-paladinromance.png
197 KB, 800x2919
>>44065212
since the discussion has winded down, and possibly sent most of the lurkers to go fap since the post rate has decreased, have the whole thing.
>>
>>44049772
Maybe dehydrated paste of some sort?
Does Sovereign Glue come in flammable powder form?
>>
>>44055135
>>44048505

Honestly, magical realm as it might be, I would allow this from one of my players, simply because some good effort was put into it. That's got to be the most hilarious way of applying a half-template I've ever heard.
>>
>>44066392
>Paladin gets half dragon template out of the deal
>Rest of the party seeks out the dragoness for a "free" half dragon template
>>
>>44066571
In this case, a little bit of railroading would ensue just to gentley put them on what they are supposed to be doing, possibly with the promise they can totally resume their personal quest for the dragoness after they finish up this tiny little thing first

Generally speaking, making it just a thing that had happened once is probably enough for a in-story reason, and meta-wise Half Dragon Party would be too gimmic/silly a party, and besides one Paladin Half Dragon is enough to have to wing my plans around, because they're almost certainly going to try and see if the Paladin can spew holy flames or something due to being part dragon now

maybe the epilogue would have them finding her again for some... recreational time?
>>
>>44066790
Honestly the simplest thing in my opinion would be to have her get them to do whatever quest you need them to with the promise of halfdragoning them as payment, of course you'd still need to make her motivations fit in, and possibly throw a few other things in to keep them on track if it doesn't make sense why she'd keep stringing them along
>>
I once used a door from a robe of useful items and the spell knock to drop a naked frenzied barbarian onto an orgy.
>>
Back in 3.5 my GM ran a game where we were encouraged to use resources from any and all published books and supplementary stuff. Basically he wanted us to break the game as much as possible, but we would be getting encounters way above our level.

I ran an evil human wizard who specialized in using a variant rule for ritual casting spells, I believe it was either from Bastards and Bloodlines or Savage Species. Basically it allows the spell-caster to consume an ass load of gold and gems and a fuckton of XP to cast spells of any level at any casting level without using spell slots. Eschew Materials got rid of the cash requirement, but it still took a lot of XP, so I was limited to the spells that I could cast before going into negative levels instantly and dying.

My way around this was to specialize my entire build around being able to pick up the spell Mindrape from the Book of Vile Darkness as soon as possible. If I remember right it was some janky trick where I was able to copy a scroll that had the spell on it.

For those not familiar, the effect of Mindrape is: "You learn everything subject knows and can alter its memory or knowledge."

So I went around pulling an agent Smith on anyone who disagreed with me by copying my mind onto theirs. Sure 'I' died in the process every time I did it, but I lived on in the larger and tougher creature that I just dominated.
>>
File: 1436808639516.gif (581 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1436808639516.gif
581 KB, 500x375
>>44068036
so you basically became a proto-lich and kept stealing progressively powerful bodies?
>>
>>44068529
Yes.

That campaign was most of the reason that I still love 3.5, even considering how terrible it is.
>>
>Stupid 3.5 game in High School with Buddies
>Before session starts, DM tells me that this will be our last one. He's fuckin done
>Friend is playing (Good Enough) cleric named Jaque Daniels
>Exploring ruins puts us against skeletons and other undead
>Until we get to the old throne room which is populated by
>THREE
>LICHES
>Hell of a way to go out and promise to take them with us
>We engage one while cleric says he conjures water on one of the other liches
>14 gallons of water on Lich
>"Is he pissed?"
>"He's pissed AND soggy!"
>Lich gets cleric down to two HP in the next combat
>"With the fury of my God and those clerics who have come before me I turn to the soggy lich, lifting my middle finger high! I then exclaim, 'FUCK YOOOOOOU' and then I bless the water!"
>Table erupts into laughter and GM rules that due to this fervent prayer and reverence to his predecessors that the bless happens immediately and turns the lich to dust.
>We triumph over the next two, somehow, and retire the characters

DM had 6 idiot high schoolers to keep track of, I regret starting that game had conscripting him. Poor man deserved better.
>>
>>44064358
It's not genocide if it's 'the people of a castle.' Genocide is trying to extinguish a culture or race.
>>
>mages are feared and controlled in this setting
>our mage is, of course "independent"
>eventually, some elf bitch and her hit squad catch up to us, ordering us to hand over the mage or face justice for harboring a criminal
>mage isn't happy about it and casts something called Dull Blocks to summon up an adobe brick
>elf bitch just laughs and pulls out a magic crystal grenade
>mage throws the brick at her before she throws the grenade
>elf crit fails her dodge roll and gets knocked out by the thrown brick, dropping her armed grenade
>the grenade explodes killing half of her hit squad and leaving the rest panicked
>>
>>44068036
Eschew Materials only drops material requirement if the cost for materia is less than 1g
>>
>>44069277
My GM HATED material components, so he house-ruled that it just blanket dropped the requirements, we had a lot of little house rules that improved the experience significantly.
>>
>>44069262
Hello WoP voter.
>>
>>44069581
I was wondering if someone would recognize it.
>>
>>44069650
I don't think i'd forget the brick.
Those rolls were stupid and awesome.

Annd it's not being continued because of waifu collection horseshit.
>>
>>44069680
The Redux is good so far though. Power BEYOND UNDERSTANDING is in our hands! ofiowhcii oghhasiounc oiajckdnsc ijcajcs
>>
>>44069717
Yeah.
Just need to get some reality filtered eye contacts.
>>
>>44056339

The only person more retarded than you are the GMs that have allowed this, and the other players in the session for not calling you out on your bullshit.
>>
>>44047426
I'm not sure if this exactly counts, but my friend, my friend's cohort, and myself all have different ways of applying an alchemist's mutagen/cognatogen.

My friend is a dwarven alchemist and our party's healer. He decided to make all of his potions including his mutagen into serums that are applied through syringes. He basically shoots up his mutagen to turn into a beast.

His cohort and I on the other hand (Myself being a samurai that had taken a few levels in alchemist after asking for some training) use cognatogens which increase mental stats as opposed to the physical stats. His cohort smokes her cognatogen while I learned to craft it into a powder and snort it.

To put it simply; My friend shoots it up, his cohort gets high, and I snort.
>>
>>44069391
>allowing for even greater caster supremacy
>improvement
Yeah, no.

I remember using quite a lot of illusion spells to pretend we are a wandering actors troupe and play Star Wars for a village.
>>
>>44070620
>play Star Wars for a village.
Good tastes
>>
>>44069180
Generalcide doesn't sound as good, though.

And killing general people sounds like it's a form of genocide!
>>
>>44047426
Let's put very long story short - this is the ONLY way magic is effective. Casting spells as intended is good when you are brain dead, but still ineffective
>>
I had a player who always picked magic classes and pretty much played a different kind of dickmage.

>Disguise as a firesticks/brushwood picker
>His battle strategy was pretty much throw sticks to people, cast sticks to snakes, then animal growth
>>
>>44071134
You call that a dickmage, I call it efficiency.
>>
>>44051873
Kek
>>
>>44071148
He also used his own variation of Create Water. Called Create Pee. From then on, he would only use water spells related to pee.
He killed a small underwater town by turning the whole lake into pee.

Sometimes I don't know why I allow that kind of shit, but I'm glad I do.
>>
>>44051992
How weird, I think one of my players actually did something similar. Made a bone golem in the form of Susanoo or whatever it's called to seige a castle
>>
>>44047773
How exactly do you cast a 10 minute spell on the armor of a guy you're fighting?
>>
>>44049772
>What's the duct tape?
Prestigiation.
>>
>>44071749
I don't know much about D&D, but surely there are ways to shorten casting time?
>>
>>44071194
....yeah, I see why you call him a dickmage now.

I can only hope he stored his sticks in his pants, so they were his giant trouser snakes.
>>
>>44061657
>slowly carrying multiple gigantic metal doors around with you through the dungon

Your DM clearly has no idea what they're doing, but good on you for bypassing his asinine dungeon with a series of metal sheets.
>>
>using Earth Glide to bypass a stupid house of mirrors dungeon

And they laughed at me
>>
>>44059971
They did. Well not exactly the flour, but the principle is made thermobaric bombs.
>>
>>44063900
probably
>>
>>44047773
>>44048505
slowpoke here

this entire thing is definitely a great way to explain how a dragon fetish can occur

have a thing (probably not accurate depiction of humanoid dragon but whatever)
>>
>>44056423
That's some railgun shit
>>
>>44059624

This list uses 4 notes
>>
>>44047505
>taxes are on the rise!
>petrify taxes
>no more tax raises
>>
File: ss.gif (489 KB, 497x373) Image search: [Google]
ss.gif
489 KB, 497x373
>>44047773
Albeit hilarious, it's impossible: ressurection is a very long spell to be cast in combat.
>>
>>44073549
Thanks drawfag
>>
File: Henderson.jpg (37 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
Henderson.jpg
37 KB, 365x500
>>44068633
Old Man Henderson, is that you?
>>
>>44074018
>taxes are on the rise!
>Petrify taxes
>Cast featherfall on the taxes
You have helped the commoners and avoided economic collapse
>>
>>44072491
Eh, we were all young at the time, and it was known for the traps admittedly. Must have been 12 years ago now.
>>
File: 1438157295582.jpg (44 KB, 510x694) Image search: [Google]
1438157295582.jpg
44 KB, 510x694
>>44048505
What a strangely specific fetish you've given me.
>>
>>44074608
It's called endosomatophilia, or I assume that's what you have, it's a sexual fetish for being inside the body of another
>>
>>44071749
>>44072322

Yes there is one way: be the GM

The GM is God, he can so what he wants.

IG I told that the BBEG "charged" the spell before the party arrived, as he knew they were coming
>>
File: HUGE_CHAOS_GUTS.jpg (28 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
HUGE_CHAOS_GUTS.jpg
28 KB, 195x195
>>44056157
Dwarven Drop Shock Troopers

Glorious.
>>
File: image.gif (343 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
343 KB, 500x344
>Chasing fugitive
>threatens suicide off a building
>Cast Air walk
>He jumps
>Ends up slowly sliding down air at a forty-five degree angle as some town guards below just wait for him.

One of the best laughs I've had.
>>
>>44059624
That honestly sounds like a pretty stupid spell, considering you could just get an actual horn and play as many notes as you like with roughly the same range. Strictly speaking, the range a horn call will carry depends on the surrounding terrain, weather conditions, and so forth, but unless your GM is being anal about that 2 miles is a pretty reasonable estimate for maximum range as a rule of thumb.
>>
File: draconicdirtytalkintensifies.png (18 KB, 650x288) Image search: [Google]
draconicdirtytalkintensifies.png
18 KB, 650x288
>>44073549
>>44074070
y'know what

usually I don't do the same thing twice in case it wears out it's welcome, but I thought about how the Paladin's traits could kick in like Darkest Dungeon, and so I just had to make a little something extra

sorry for the slight derail
>>
>>44076692
It's cool, drawfags are always appreciated.

Course neither of those pics make much sense on their own, you may want to post a screen grab of the story above or below them if you post them elsewhere just for someone who wasn't in this thread to know what's going on

On an artistic note, you may want to try working on heads, The paladin's is pretty good but the dragoness's head is quite large compared to her body and rather round, it works as you have it now but that's mostly because of the art style, if you want to go more detailed you may want to work on that. Either way, I like what you've done so far
>>
>>44073970
Nuh uh. Each of those songs can be recognized within the first three notes - some are just the same three notes repeated twice.
>>
>>44076585
I think we misunderstood the spell a bit - I thought it had implied that it would definitely be heard, even 2 miles away, but rereading it makes it seem less certain. Ah well.

It's got it's perks compared to, say, a Message spell which only will work within a couple hundred feet at best and requires line of sight. But if an actual horn would do the same thing as the Horn of Pursuit, it'd free up a spell slot and make things simpler.
>>
Whenever I play a caster, I always try to have at least one ace-in-the-hole trick in mind to pull out when things get really hairy.

In the first campaign, it was the Holy Water Cannon. See, in the standard D&D cosmology, there's a great sea of holy water at the base of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia. Open a Gate to the bottom of that sea, and presto: high-pressure gout of holy water, because fuck you demons.

I actually calculated out the amount of water it would spit out, given the diameter of the Gate and water pressure at a given depth. Assuming the Gate opens 1 km underwater, it'd put out 4148.5 cubic meters of water per second, filling 7032 5-ft cubes per round. Unfortunately, it never ended up getting used, as we never encountered a large enough group of demons to justify it after I got access to Gate.

A different one which I did use, however, is using Summon Monster VII as an unavoidable kill spell. Summon a djinni, have it use its Major Creation spell-like to create the maximum possible volume of black lotus extract right on top of the target. 20 cubic ft, assuming one dose is 1 fluid ounce, is 19150 doses of the deadliest contact poison in the game. Even if their Fort is so high they can only fail on a nat 1, and every single dose rolls the lowest possible Con damage, that's over 2800 Con damage as the absoute minimum for anything not immune to poison.
>>
>>44077922
>I think we misunderstood the spell a bit - I thought it had implied that it would definitely be heard, even 2 miles away, but rereading it makes it seem less certain. Ah well.
Oh man, I was just going by your description and assuming that it was definitely audible to 2 miles. And even there I thought it was pretty much not worthwhile.

If it doesn't even guarantee you 2 miles, that's definitely a waste of a spell slot.

Still, pretty neat idea using Zelda songs for horn signals, props for that.
>>
>>44074830
most people just call it vore.
>>
My story
>setting is low magic not!austria middle ages
>all magic is ritual, takes huge amount of time to do because it's so painstaking and doesn't have great effects
>scrolls, for example, have to be totally precise
>3 hours work for a scroll that heats up a few gallons of water 10 degrees, more if you mess up even once
>intend for it to mostly be an alternate history playthrough in a society influenced by a little bit of magic here and there, especially in the military(runes to improve steel quality, etc.)
>party happens to be hauled into a powerful noble's castle
>party includes a foppish aristocrat rogue who hides daggers in his lace, peasant farmer-turned-warrior, and my best friend who's playing a tinker/smith with a heart of unlikely tin/gold alloy
>the noble, being a dick, is in his bath
>huge copper bathtub, water clearly steaming due to scrolls underneath
>in the middle of winter not!austria, this is a gross display of wealth and power
>he's made most of his money from a huge army of scribes all making scrolls to sell at premium prices
>noble begins describing the scribes he has working for him, the time it takes, how the scribes are like clockwork repeating their actions over and-
>tinker interrupts
>clockwork, you say?
>noble is irritated, replies in the affirmative and finishes his monologue, sends the party off to do his bidding
I should have known then
>two sessions later
>tinker's been hoarding money and my friend's been furiously scratching away at diagrams/papers every moment we're playing
>we go into a medium sized village, tinker runs for the blacksmith's shop, convinces and bribes the guy to let him use it for 2 whole days, buys all his brass/copper
>fop and farmer shrug, go about their business selling things, meeting old contacts, fucking bitches, etc.
>he slides me a note
>read it
>oh you beautiful bastard you
>days later, tinker comes out of the shop with something heavy and oddly shaped under a cloth
>time for the big reveal
cont.
>>
File: writingautomaton.jpg (122 KB, 800x704) Image search: [Google]
writingautomaton.jpg
122 KB, 800x704
>>44078393
>it looked like pic related, but less polished
>a writing automaton
>only it didn't just write
>it drew
>other party members aren't impressed, until tinker goes for a demonstration
>puts it down, places parchment in front of it, winds it up
>it goes to
>20 minutes later it's made a completely accurate and technically perfect adhesive scroll
>jaws drop
>he replaces the clockwork cylinders in the back with new ones
>winds it, it goes to
>another 20 minutes and a technically perfect cooling scroll is done
>he has at least 5 other cylinders
>party is losing their shit
>tinker sits down, packs his pipe, smokes it with a shit-eating grin, sleeps for 24 hours straight
>when he wakes up sells off the scrolls to locals at a disgustingly low rate (normally they go for gold, he sold for copper)
>uses what's left of his savings and party's cash to hire the blacksmith and local clocksmiths to replicate the automaton
>hires a wagon to take 5 or 7 of them to a large building near a river
>originally winds them by hand until he gets a water wheel fitted
>pumping out dozens of scrolls an hour, hundreds a day
>floods the market, far surpasses even the largest scribe groups
>now everyone can afford to use magic
>even peasants can have warm baths in winter and iceboxes in summer
>quality of life rapidly increases throughout not!europe
>tinker and the rest of the party rolling in nauseating amounts of wealth
>all have castles, titles, lands, etc.
>mfw the party revolutionized the entire land
>changed the history of the world forever
>all because of one asshole noble on a power trip
Gotta love the players, man.
>>
>>44078383
It's a subfetish, also includes stuff like tentacle pits and unbirth
>>
>>44047426
I've written this before, but...

First off, the setting: Palladium's "Heroes Unlimited", semimodern setting(think Gargoyles or Buffy). I'm the wizard-wannabe of the bunch, and due to the magic object of plot importance not doing what the BBEG wanted, we all got a power-up and a thwarted villain (who had been creaming us to this point).

Said villain decides to spite us by dropping a building on us, via blowing a giant hole in it. I know that there are VIPs in the top of the building, among other things(stupid heroic streak) so I don't want it going down. And my powerup was a major boost in PPE(read: magic points).

My turn comes up after the villain vanishes. I promptly go "I run up to the building."
>"Okay..."
I mime the FMA clap-and-slap. "Mend the Broken on the building."

Mend the Broken is meant to fix armor, equipment, and the like. It takes 10 PPE to start and fixes 1 damage per 2 points put into it after. My character has just shy of 150 PPE in him.

Needless to say, I stopped the impending collapse single-handedly.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.