[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadowrun General: Inquiring Cops Want to Know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest
Issue tracker:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest

Last Thread: >43981527

Topic: Getting high on BADs: Is there ANY downside?
>>
Hey chummers. I'm fairly new to SR, playing my first runner, first run. I want this guy to stick around long enough to retire, any experienced runners out there with tips on how to avoid getting geeked?
>>
File: 1444188363930.png (349 KB, 850x504) Image search: [Google]
1444188363930.png
349 KB, 850x504
I haven't read a rulebook in ages, did we ever get magitech guns?
>>
>>44031965
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.
>>
>>44031976
Nope. There's a rumour that the Ares Excalibur might have some magical shenanigans behind it, but nothing that actually works.
>>
>>44031965
Step 1: be a good liar, been to long since we had a honest liar.
Step 2: try your best to not get shot, or shot at.
Step 3: people who deal with dragons often get shot/stabbed/neural death/wish they were dead.
Step 4: geek the mage first
Step 5: Try to not be a mage

also >>44032005
>>
>>44031965
Rules lawyer, grab your crotch, lie and steal, and never ever use shadowrun lingo, fucker
>>
>>44031976
Can you shoot orichalcum bullets. would like an arrowhead made of orichalcum hurt spirits?
>>
>>44032132
I have a feeling it would make more sense to keep the money and just throw your wallet at it. The sheer weight of all that dosh will do far more damage.
>>
>>44032180
what if the spirit resists bludgeoning damage and is weak to piercing?
>>
>>44032005
>>44032089
That last bit has always confused me. What has happened over the years for dragons to develop such a bad reputation? They're wildly rich and influential, and must need runners too.
>>
>>44032259
You missed the part where dragons are wildly powerful and don't like leaving loose ends like runners alive.
>>
>>44032259
shadowrunners are disposable assets, but this only means that if a runner dies someone else will take their job, they're easily replaceable

what dragons seem to think is that you HAVE to dispose of them after using so you get tons of ugly shit after you finish a deal with a dragon
>>
>>44032259
Well, its mostly racism, but dragons are inhumanly intelligent and cunning.
So when a dragon comes down off his high perch to ask you to do something, chances are he wants it off the books and secret. The best way to keep something secret is to kill everyone involved after the fact, and dragons have the resources and the know-how to make this the simplest option.
>>
>>44032259
Lofwyr has happened.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are lesser dragons out there without massive resources right? Ones dedicated to their goals but not necessarily money acquisition.
They're less likely to need Shadowrunners but less likely to need to eliminate loose ends.
Still a bad idea, but not as bad an idea as making a deal with a great dragon.

I like the idea of a dragon dedicated to be maintaining and assisting the natural beauty of an area instead of accumulating money.
So there's one very, very powerful park ranger out there.
>>
on people hating on Cyberlimbs:

It doesn't even have to be beefy for it to be a good purchase. If you are playing a character that doesn't have a lot of extra essence/nuyen to play around with, a Synthetic Partial Cyberarm with Rating 3 attribute enhancements is, without a doubt, the least expensive way to get past the natural stat cap.

Smartlink eyes, a partial arm, and rating 3 Reaction Boosters will set you back a little over 70k and will make you a certified badass, which is great if you want to play a Street Samurai with Resources C.
>>
>>44032572

You also have to remember that these things are immortal, inhuman predators. We are a viable *food source* to them. Even the nicest dragons are unlikely to actually value a human life.

How do you think a cat would treat you if it was smarter than you are and large enough to eat you?
>>
>>44032259
Racism and memes, there is literally nothing wrong with dealing with dragons
>>
>>44032683
Fuck off Lofwyr
>>
>>44032572
Even a minor dragon is still an incredibly powerful beast.

There was one dragon dedicated to natural beauty. Her name was Feurschwinge. She torched Berlin to stop humans' defilement of nature.
>>
>>44032708
>She torched Berlin
She torched a small town relatively far from Berlin. The only dragon who actually attacked a city is Aden.
>>
>>44032683
nice try, lofwyr. the only cool dragon was Dunkelzhan .
>>
File: 1422629794829.jpg (52 KB, 332x293) Image search: [Google]
1422629794829.jpg
52 KB, 332x293
>>44032259

There's two more factors in play:

1) Dragons scheme and plot across the course of centuries, meaning you have no clue what the repercussions of your actions may be.

2) If you work for a dragon, you're going to get the attention of other dragons. Attention you may not like, and being on a dragon's bad side is a quick way to an early grave. And there's nigh-on no chance in hell that your dragon patron is going to protect you from the machinations of every other lizwiz out there.
>>
>>44032683
Dragons carry decade long grudges and can literally eat you.

You don't deal with dragons if you can avoid it, if you're expendable you're dead, if you're not expendable you'll be paid well until you are, and if you cross them you're screwed.

Don't
Deal
With
Dragons.

>>44032572
There are absolutely less powerful dragons.
There's even a great dragon whose primary role is as a university professor.
>>
>>44032683
le happy dragon.png
>>
>>44032734
Hestaby is okay.
I mean her view of humanity is closer to the way a hippy views cows than actual respect, but it's still a damn sight closer than most.

There are also a couple of younger dragons who seem cool.

>>44032727
And he burned it to crisps, then just sort of hung around for decades pissing off muslims.
>>
which universe is more grimdark? Warhammer 40k or Shadowrun? I am thinking shadowrun is actually like SECRET grimdark. All the shit I read about background counts and shit. God damn.
>>
>>44032683
I need a drawfag to screencap this and show Lofwyr posting it at a computer.

Because we know it's Lofwyr.
>>
>>44032768
>then just sort of hung around for decades pissing off muslims.

Sounds like a German hero.

:^)
>>
So all this about dragons, what about drakes or dracoforms, or whatever they're called? The little ones, with a human form and dragon form. Can they even be built in 5E?
>>
>>44032259
It's just not smart to deal with a creature that can take a hit from an orbital laser satellite and level a city.
>>
>>44032805
Man, background counts ain't shit.

Shadowrun is grimdark in the sense that it's dystopic, mixing a total surveillance state, collapsed societies, megacorporate rule, "Brave New World" esque dulling of the population, and dragons personifying "The man" literally ruling large parts of the world.

But it can never match 40k.
Because 40k is grimdark for the sake of grimdark.
It has entire system spanning faction that have all suffered the fate of cyberzombies, it has guns that runs on the screams of tortured souls, they've somehow managed to make fascism worse, there's an entire planet of constant WW1 style trench battles with an atmosphere primarily composed of mustard gas facilitated by cloning.

You don't beat 40k in grimdark.
>>
>>44032805
Two different kinds of grimdark. 40K is brutal, gritty grimdark. Shadowrun has some seriously fucked-up things behind the scenes that Games Workshop wouldn't touch (go read up on the Johns Hopkins stuff from 2022, or some of the experiments on cyberzombies).
>>
>>44032572
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are lesser dragons out there without massive resources right?

There's lots of lesser dragons (according to one book over a thousand), but their level of wealth varies.
Most "young" dragons still predate written and known human history (because as I'm sure you're aware, we HAVE no dragons in recorded human history), and very, very few originate from the Sixth World since dragon eggs are very rare and are complex to hatch.
The thing where they accumulate wealth and influence is something that they seem unable to not do; they're all intelligent beings with a lot of physical and magical power even when young, enough that they can alter the balance of power in small areas very easily.
The "horde" thing (metaphorical or literal) seems to be something that they're not really able to NOT do; it's probably almost like magpies and crows liking shiny objects; dragons like valuable things.
They are also not all obsessed with getting more (that's mostly Lofwyr's thing), but all of them have "hobbies" that in the end are as grand as themselves and thus require money and influence.
The "park ranger" dragon would need to ensure that his or her park isn't just ruthlessly exploited by megacorporations for example, and without influence, wealth, or power the dragon would have no way of stopping them from destroying or monetizing said wilderness.

Think of it this way; there's a high chance that doing the stuff you want to do in real life costs money, right?
Well dragons live a very, very long time and so develop very large scale hobbies as a consequence.

Interestingly, in that Shattered State 5e adventure there's one optional encounter with a young dragon who is actually a Shadowrunner (like Perianwyr was), hiring himself as a licensed defense and security contractor.
My guess is his sales pitch is "hire Drexel for your security; I'm a fucking dragon."
>>
>>44032940
>40k
>gritty
There's nothing gritty about 40k, it's childish to the core aside from some of the side stuff.
>>
File: fuck OFF lofwyr.jpg (181 KB, 498x483) Image search: [Google]
fuck OFF lofwyr.jpg
181 KB, 498x483
>>44032683
>>44032812
funny thing i was just doing that
>>
>>44032940
40k is worse, but it doesn't dwell on how horrible it is.

An old style Necron is a cyberzombie, but they never dwelt on the implications of that like they have in Shadowrun.
>>
>>44032957
Hooooly shit 10/10
>>
>>44032957
We OC now
>>
>>44032768
>There are also a couple of younger dragons who seem cool.

Perry is a pretty nice guy; he was a hired assassin for awhile (which really just makes him just another runner, albeit one who's a dragon), but he's been done with that for decades and now he runs a nightclub because music and nightclubs are kind of his hobby.
Young dragons are still pretty dangerous, but the absolute oldest "young" dragons are younger then 70 since they had to hatch in the Sixth World, so they don't have that insane long-term view quite yet.

There's likely not very many dragons that are that young though.
>>
>>44032957
>>44032996
>>44033031
What I find funniest about Lofwyr posting online is that all the other GD's and IE's and powerful people who do so do it anonymously under pseudonyms.

The two times Lofwyr has done it he just used the net handle "Lofwyr", because he feels absolutely zero reason to hide who he is.
>>
>>44032738
What's his subject? Magibiology?
>>
>>44033100
Dunkelzahn also posted as the big D and his real name back in 2e.
>>
>>44033100
>doesn't know he can change it
>keeps yelling at his aides when he can't move the file the way he wants to
>keeps accidentally logging out and his aides have to prompt him for his password

I know Lofwyr is tech-savvy but the mental image of great-granpappy dragon trying to work out this new-fangled technology amuses me so.
>>
>>44033117
Unified magical theory.

He's basically working on the theory of everything for magic.

>>44033129
I always found it hilarious that Dunkelzahn shitposted on BBS boards.
>>
>>44033189
Do you think there's an invite-only dracolands BBS where dragons complain about shit their mortals keep doing?
>>
>>44033189
Is Shadowlands BBS the shadowrun equivalent of 4chan? Every time it pops up in the Returns games it's just people shitposting and mods deleting things
>>
>>44033117
Schwartzkopf is the Dean, technically, since I'm pretty sure he runs the collage.
But his subject is magical research and theory; the University of Prague is generally considered the best magical-focused collage in the entire world.
He still goes by "Professor" and gives lectures to any student in his class.

Schwartzkopf has two hobbies; magical study and arcane theory and (apparently) teaching.
>>44033129
The Big D is a pseudonym.
>>44033154
Think of it like Doctor Doom; Lofwyr doesn't do much in the way of lying or concealing his identity because people lie and conceal when they're afraid of the truth being known for some reason.
Lofwyr isn't afraid of shit.

It's probably why he keeps the Hans Brackhaus identity up even though he knows it's compromised; he WANTS people to know it's him or someone directly working for him.
Lofwyr seems like though he's certainly the least friendly GD outside of Sirrug he's the most honest; he may not openly explain himself (at least not to metahumans) but he never bother disguising his intentions or goals. He wants to own everything worth owning, and he doesn't care that you know.

I mean for fuck's sake, the logo of his megacorp is clearly a stylized rendition of his face; that's not really subtle or hiding anything at all.
>>
>>44031824
>Is there ANY downside?
When a Free Spirit crawls into your body and decides to make it its home, don't come crying to me.

No really.

I will riddle you with holes.

Keep the fuck away.
>>
>>44033278
It's more that BBS's were the equivalent of 4chan before 4chan existed in real life.
>>
>>44033278
It's older than 4chan but in many ways it kinda is. If you want an idea of shadowlands, it's what was used to convey in-universe commentary before Jackpoint.

Just about any 2e-3e books would have Shadowland comments.
>>
So are elevan nations pretty much the land of milk and honey or is it typical wage slave drek?
>>
>>44033314
That sounds silly. You're silly. Now if you'll excuse me, I hear they have some tempo in Havana again
>>
>>44033264
>MFW my favorite pawn died of old age

>Implying Lofwyr isn't a faggot

>Tfw your decade long plan almost comes to fruition and then shadowrunners cock it up

>>44033278
It really is.
They really cut down on the shitposting once the migrated to Jackpoint.
>>
>>44033360
Elven nations are pretty much the same, except the racism is almost as overt as in Japan.
>>
>>44033313
>The Big D is a pseudonym.
It's not a very subtle one

>>44033360
They're weird. Tir na nOg is more fascist than Tir Tairngire and is basically run like Salazarist Portugal for elves.

Tir Tairngire is a mix of both I guess; it's got a lot of wage slave shit especially since Cara'sir is still a major city, but it also has seemingly better agriculture than just about everyone around them they still have vineyards for one).
>>
File: S6XC3dR.gif (201 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
S6XC3dR.gif
201 KB, 500x282
>>44033333
quints checked

>>44033353
>>44033389
isn't jackpoint made up of less than 100 users?
>>
>>44033389
>tfw your rival's decades long plan is so shit you just hire some shadowrunners to cock it up
>p.s. yes it was I, Dionome!
>>
>>44033425
Yeah, they both exist simultaneously, but in theory Jackpoint is shadowlands except invite-only and nominally less shitposting.
>>
>>44033424
Is Cara'sir Portland-that-was or is it something they actually built?
>>
>>44033455
i thought shadowlands stopped existing altogether after the second matrix crash

then again i barely play post-crash
>>
>>44033487
Cara'Sir is literally Portland with it's name changed; ALL of the Tir cities are. They added some new stuff of course, but that's simply because time and technology marched on.
The buildings are supposed to look more "elfy" now with lots of green tech and swoopy curves that are aesthetically pleasing, but it's still Portland.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that in real life my hometown is the Elf Capitol of America.
>>
>>44033424
>Tir Tairngire is a mix of both I guess; it's got a lot of wage slave shit especially since Cara'sir is still a major city, but it also has seemingly better agriculture than just about everyone around them they still have vineyards for one.

Tir Tairngire has megacorps, but a lot have "special" status in the nation that gives them huge tax breaks and makes them obviously dominant in the nation's economy, notably Telestrian Industries.
This is perhaps not that surprising given that the current High Prince IS a Telestrian.

Nepotism and double-dealing are pretty much inherent in Elven culture, for reasons that are fairly logical when you take the time to think it through.
>>
>>44033573
Its fucking Portland, that is definitely on the top three cities I'd assume would be the elf capitol of the Americas. The next best contenders would have been Vancouver and then a curveball, like Tucson or something. Desert elves bonding with nature to contrast with the Irish elves and their green.
>>
>>44033668
It's mostly the "totalitarian manipulative police state filled with aristocratic scheming" part that's pretty out of character; Portland is....yeah.
Let's just say there's a reason there's now more weed dispensaries then there McDonald's and 7/11's in Oregon now.

The forests and nature and farms and wine though? Yeah, we've got that shit.
>>
>>44032957
The Best
>>
>>44032940

links to the cyber zombie experiment fluff stuff?
>>
in 5e.. what exactly are shamans in comparison to mages? I think I want to try being a caster in 5e but just how useful are shamans? How do you make a shaman not feel cliche? Which totems are available to follow?
>>
>How do you make a shaman not feel cliche?
What? Just define your character through his actions, don't make a half pixie changling 12 year old girl
>>
What's the best source to read up on subspecies? I wanna get some in-depth info about fomori and gnomes for a thing i'm doing
>>
A rigger in the campagin I'm running completely refuses to get any cyber (even the control rig). How fucked is he?

Should I step in and veto this character? For reference I already let him get away with playing a Troll min maxed for Body/Strength and Agility, while having 1 in every other stat but Will
>>
>>44033809
>what exactly are shamans in comparison to mages?
They *are* mages.
>>
>>44034180
how is him a rigger? wouldnt it make him just a driver or something?
>>
>>44034180
Rigger or drone commander? Drone commander doesn't super NEED a control rig, but it's not the most optimal path.
>>
>>44034180
...is he like an adept as well? cuz that can be practical
hes totally mundane? he might be able to pull it off, but still.....
>>
>>44034239
>>44034266

He's a vehicle rigger and totally mundane. In his words he's "Removing all computers from his vehicle" too.
>>
>>44034026
Run Faster is the book where they are detailed
>>
>>44034292
Then he's not a rigger, at most he's a wheelman. Honestly the major benefit of a control rig for a vehicle rigger is the reduction in difficulty thresholds.
>>
>>44034292>>44034180
Nah he's fine.
Don't adjust your encounters though.
>>
>>44034180
>Max body/agility/strength
>low tech vehicle
Is he planning to take the crew around in a flintstonemobile?
>>
>>44033770
Looking for it, though I don't have a specific source offhand.

Though what I do remember is that cybermancy magic is used to retain control of the spirit, to keep the body still "alive" (since the body is technically dead) and not just be a mass of metal and flesh. The body is heavily cyberized, and given how it's pretty much corps and other multi-billion dollar figures who can build these things, they pick out what they want. Think the works -- all limbs, body, and skill cybered. Dermal plating, wired reflexes, perhaps even a move-by-wire system. Since essence costs aren't a problem (you actually have to, by game rules, have <0 essence), load it up -- limitations are what the body can hold and what the entity's financial resources are. Since the mind is still there, they usually lock it away behind inhibitor chips and more, just so that thing can't go apeshit and start wrecking shit that the entity doesn't want them to. Or run away.

So you have this amalgamation, still with a mind, locked away. Doing anything and everything its masters tell it to do. That sound like HappyFunTime?
>>
>>44034399
>>44034379
>>44034337

I should probably mention that the min maxed troll was his last character. And yeah I won't. He had a tendency to break combat (with the troll), nice to know that his rigger will underperform if anything
>>
>>44034180
>Unauged rigger
>Maxed out irrelevant stats
>1s in INT, LOG and REA
Make sure he dies first
>>
>>44034180
>Troll min maxed for Body/Strength and Agility, while having 1 in every other stat but Will
He's not minmaxing, he's gimping himself.
>>
>>44034452
Man, I still feel sorry for the poor cyberzombie sod in Dragonfall.
>>
>>44034502

I don't

Black Lodge 4 lyfe
>>
>>44034483
How did he break combat with REA 1 and INT 1?
>>
>>44034499
>>44034490

I really should have clarified that the troll was his last character. That was supposed to be a street sam...a bad one...but still
>>
>>44034502
"Thank you."
>>
>>44034452
You're mostly correct, but essence is limited to -6 (even for cyberzombies, there is something as too much chrome). But more importantly, cyberzombies aren't mindless.
>>
>>44034521
Wired reflexes beat going up in reflexes any day.
>>
>>44034521
He tended to absorb most (if not all) damage with his 34d6 soak roll.
>>
>>44034553
What kind of peashooters were you pointing at him that 34 soak makes something unstoppable?
>>
>>44034529
Oh.

>>44034552
In 5e, one rank of wired with 1 REA, 1 INT barely guarantees a second pass, two ranks will almost never get you that third pass.
>>
>>44034535
Good point.

And yeah re: mindless, of course they still have a mind. What sort of sane person would willingly volunteer for such a thing? I imagine most cyberzombies are either experiments on societal rejects (criminals, clinically insane, etc.) or more corp experiments that they can get away with due to extraterritoriality. That's why you'd lock the mind away behind a barrier of some kind. If you were sane to begin with, your first thought would likely be "I'm going to give the bastard who did this a new asshole". If you were in the insane camp, you'd think "now I can create even MORE assholes!". Neither of which is good for someone who just spent several million nuyen in material, surgery, and magic costs to get you to that point.
>>
>>44034553
I can get more on a human and without gimping myself.
A troll tank archetype in the core book has 42(?) soak dice.
>>
>>44034593
Anything that isn't a fucking anti material rifle?
>>
>>44034593
The kind that's balanced for my other players who are all new to the system playing rookie runners that aren't min maxed. I also suspect some dice fudging on his part

(Totally replied to the wrong fucking reply)
>>
File: 1446932439238.jpg (107 KB, 808x988) Image search: [Google]
1446932439238.jpg
107 KB, 808x988
Are sunlight runners a thing?
I was thinking about broad daylight runs and Mirror's Edge comes to mind

I'm not implying I want to do it or want anything to do with it I'm just curious
>>
>>44034646
I'm starting to think its' less of his soak being a problem and more my reluctance to put actual hardcore threats against my runners. Any suggestions for stuff that would fuck his retard strength troll up?
>>
>>44034679
A Run can happen anywhere at literally any time of day, since a shadowrun is basically any illegal or quasilegal job handed out to an independent contractor.

Most really gun-happy violent shit happens at night when in areas likely to frown upon that sort of thing because it aids in stealth (which is always tactically useful) and helps prevent identification.

In places like the Barrens where cops WON'T show up you can just go in there and start wrecking people at will, assuming you survive the likely backlash.
>>
>>44034681
So counters against a soakmonster?

Easy. For combat options, teargas grenades. Or if you want to go full asshole, Laes grenades. Magical influences as well, like mind controlling spells (hit that low willpower).

Out of combat options, social challenges. Have him put in spots where a low charisma hurts. KE suddenly interested in you? Got a license for that pistol? Low charisma means less of a chance to talk out of it.
>>
>>44034658
An ak-97 is enough. Especially against an idiot with all of two dice on his defense roll.

30-35 soak is what any character whose main goal is to murder the shit out of the opposition must aim for, just not to go down like a little bitch.
>>
>>44034659
You might want to teach your remaining players that it's a good idea to wear enough armor to take stun damage most of the time when on a run.

By the way, if you think 34 soak is min-maxed, you haven't seen anything yet.
>>
>>44034746
The help's appreciated. This is my campaigns "that guy" so I'll take whatever I can do legitimately to make his character less broken.

About the charisma checks. Is there any penalty for people talking in his stead? The face mostly doesn't allow him to talk and does the talking for him.
>>
>>44034862
You still need etiquette. Sometimes you need to not start sperging in the middle of a meeting.

CHA 1 and no dots in etiquette means you need to waste edge just to be able to roll for it.
>>
>>44034862
Have him roll Etiquette anyway if he's present, just to see if he doesn't do or say something stupid. The party face should do most of the work, but anyone present is a potential help and/or liability
>>
>>44034679
The Shadow of Shadowrun is essentially just anywhere outside of the 'Light' of corp and government knowledge and surveillance where everything can be seen and recorded. The shadows are where their influence stops and they can't see any further.

Well, that's the poetic definition. The realistic one is thst the shadows are the shit they don't touch with a ten foot orichalcum-sheathed smartlinked cyberpole.

So yes, broad daylight is a thing. But a Lightrunner team would basically be a corp strike team doing stuff purely above board.
...which actually might be pretty interesting to play.
>>
>>44034920
>>44034953
I'm fairly new to SR and didn't even think to do that. This should shake things up with the rest of the party. Since this is the kinda group that goes on a full frontal assault of a military base with no legwork and expects to survive
>>
The more I read it, the more I like Small Unit Tactics.

Has anyone ever made a team around it? Any stories for or against it?
>>
I want to try playing a mage(shaman) but I don't like the idea of being so vulnerable. Typically I play beefier characters who can take a shot but is it possible to make a shaman who won't die in 2 bullets? Or is the world of shadowrun that you kill fast and can die fast too?

What is a shamans role in the group? What makes a shaman different from some mage fuck?
>>
File: Saito.jpg (27 KB, 462x259) Image search: [Google]
Saito.jpg
27 KB, 462x259
So, let's say that I wanted to min/max the ultimate (mundane) sniper, what sort of augs would I be looking at? any must-have equipment?
>>
>>44034985
...so.. How many lobbies have they stormed only to be blown the fuck out with the sheer force of all those bullets from security turrets?
>>
>>44034993
Again, shamans are mages, literally the only difference is casting tradition

A 'mage' is anyone who casts magic. A Shaman is a tradition relating to the conference and association with animistic spirits. So a shaman is more closely related to the natural world (though this doesn't mean they have to be hippies, pidgeon and Rat shamans exist)
>>
>>44035033
So far none. I haven't given them many opportunities to fuck up that bad. But the military base aftermath is this coming session. I'd be more excited if they didn't get all salty at me/each other because they don't understand shadowrun isn't just d&d with guns
>>
>>44034995
Muscle Toner 4, cybereyes/gear with all vision enhancements, Sniper rifle of your choice with smartgun system and personalized grip and an armor with max ruthenium polymer coating. (or a cloak made of it.)

Beyond that, you'll need to be in the right place at the right time.>>44034995
>>
>>44034995
Rating 4 cyber eyes
Muscle toner
High AGI

Pls do not be dedicated sniper, it is very boring and dreks up runs and splits party
>>
File: 1446932162986.jpg (1018 KB, 1400x675) Image search: [Google]
1446932162986.jpg
1018 KB, 1400x675
>>44034978
shit now i kinda wanna do something with lightrunners
>>
File: mfwhellblazed.jpg (4 KB, 105x106) Image search: [Google]
mfwhellblazed.jpg
4 KB, 105x106
>>44034978
>>44035137
>tfw you realize all Shadowrunners are 'terminally psychotic' as Mad Max put it
>>
>>44035085

While I agree that it isn't the most stimulating position to fill, I like the advantages that having a huge fuckoff sniper rifle brings. Being able to cover entrances/exits from outside of normal detection range is nice, and being able to chunk heavy security forces without investing in artillery is, well, useful.

Well, how effective is it to use drones/turrets to fulfill the same role? Would the ultimate Shadowrun sniper, in fact, be a Rigger?
>>
File: 1430613882169.jpg (180 KB, 992x1401) Image search: [Google]
1430613882169.jpg
180 KB, 992x1401
>>44035137
Start off in a corp, getting to know your superiors and friendly techs who maintain your gear. Corp's fine with you spending your nuyen in the company store for bigger and better guns. Might even get selected for prototype training.
Gotta deal with shadowrunners incursion, other corp black ops teams...
Perhaps after a couple small adventures you have to go into the seedy, shadowy side of the city on Orders. Capitalised orders, straight from the top.
The Board trusts you, team. Do -not- betray that trust. And so in you go. Fresh and shiny faces with pretty, pretty SINs told to go into the Shadows.
And from there, hell, anything could happen. When the runners are standing in the Shadows, do they even still like the look of the Light? What about their friends? The hooks and claws that are already in their identities and very selves? Do they see them as something to rip out? To preserve? To endure?
And that's all, of course, if the Shadows don't just chee them up and spit them out.
>>
>>44035214
>I like the advantages that having a huge fuckoff sniper rifle brings.
You're most likely inside a city and most likely do not need more rang than an AR which is well within ranges considered normal for urban area sniping.
>>
is there such a thing as being a enchanter in shadowrun? I am looking at the different kinds of magic and what not and enchanting seems interesting.
>>
>>44035214
A roto-drone with a Barrett your rigger can remote control/jump into is useful as long as it doesn't get detected. On its own, it's rather bad.
>>
File: 1417795737452.png (21 KB, 163x77) Image search: [Google]
1417795737452.png
21 KB, 163x77
I don't know how to 'make' this character, I'm newish to Shadowrun.
I want to make a Native American Technomancer who wants nothing more than to be a Shaman due to their upbringing of being a Native American.
The only issue being that they have NO knack for magic at all but they think their Technomancy are the spirits helping them but in the truth the spirits hate their guts due to their father abusing them
I also want to explore the disconnect between technology and tribal beliefs as the character evolves but I don't know how the FUCK to make this character
>>
>>44035286
What exactly do you want your character to be able to do during gameplay?
>>
>>44035286
I could follow you till this bit
>but in the truth the spirits hate their guts due to their father abusing them
Other than that is just sounds like backstory for a human amerindian technomancer.
>>
>>44035335
I assume it just means that the character's father was an asshole mage.
>>
>>44034978
Wouldn't Lightrunners be more or less the Major and her team from Ghost in the Shell?
>>
>>44035330
I want my character to think they're a mage or shaman, but can't grasp his mind around magic and constantly come up with excuses why he's unable to cast spells or summon.
So they would be gunman with Techomancer elements thrown in so that they see it as their innate magic ability or spirits assisting them.
I.E: Some enemy with cyberkinetic legs is coming at them so he uses his 'magic' to throw them off their balance when in reality he hacked their legs to shut off.
Shit like that
>>44035335
What's the problem here, is that not how spirits work?
>>
>>44035481
>What's the problem here, is that not how spirits work?
I just didn't understand the sentence.
>>
>>44034746
Can't you just manabolt him?
>>
>>44034995
The way I see it, there are two types of snipers; the trenchcoat approch with a silenced weapon, ruthium coated cloak, cyberwere to allow you to sit in the same position for a week etc.
Or the easier to work into a party, pink mohawk approch = have a gauss rifle.

Ware to take; tremor reductors; smart link either a intitive booser or the adrenaline surge quality; proberly a cyber arm or two to get the best Agility cheaply. Have some way to do matrix perception tests in AR so you can see the invisible mages who left their comlink on
>>
>>44035268

In 5e, Alchemy covers making foci, which are the closest things to enchanted items. They also make preparations, which are like D&D scrolls and potions - single-use items that throw a given effect. However, the rules for it are a little wonky, and even if you specialize heavily in it, you may not get your nuyen's worth out of it.
>>
File: 1440296368028.png (611 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1440296368028.png
611 KB, 699x699
>start making an UGC in Dragonfall
>get Hong Kong and port it there
>tons of content pack dependencies issues
>spend the whole day fixing them
>realize I'm better off with Dragonfall because music can't be ported over and Hong Kong's entire soundtrack is chinese-themed and left Dragonfall and Returns' soundtracks behind
>the graphical assets are not worth it, aside from the portraits
>realize I spent the whole day on absolutely nothing

>want to go back to dragonfall, but I want to use some of the Hong Kong portraits
>afraid i'm gonna get community guidelines shoved up my ass for using and redistributing assets from another paid game

I just wanted to tell a story
>>
>>44035953
>>want to go back to dragonfall, but I want to use some of the Hong Kong portraits
>>afraid i'm gonna get community guidelines shoved up my ass for using and redistributing assets from another paid game
I admit I just took a brief look at the editor, but I thought you could at least use original portraits for npcs?
>>
>>44036055
you can use default portraits that come with the game or custom images, but if i want to use NPC portraits taken straight from hong kong and slapped into dragonfall it might count as asset redistribution because community guidelines are fucked up like that
>>
>>44036079
Oh, so while you technically can do it you are concerned about the legalese?

Well, before you get sued into oblivion or chained and thrown in to a dungeon you usually just get a cease and desist letter.
That aside i doubt HBS will fuck your shit up for creating user generated content that keep their games alive a little longer.

If you have serious concerns you can always shoot them a mail and ask if you can use on of their HK portraits. Worst thing that can happen is a 'No' or no reply although I think it's unlikely.
>>
>>44034985
>>44035066
My Shadowrun team stormed a military base once. Their stealthy approach was ruined because the party mage thought that creating the illusion of a massive dragon flying overhead would make a great distraction, which put the base on high alert and forced us to go loud.

The only one who sustained any remarkable sort of damage was the ninja/razorgirl, because she refuses to carry a gun and because she wasn't wearing mil-spec body armor (Sammy, Adept), nor was she using the two guys in mil-spec body armor as meatshields (Mage). She ended up having to borrow my grenades to throw at the enemy soldiers because she had no other ranged options.

After that particular session, we fired the mage and the ninja bought a bow.
>>
>>44036167
By stealthy I assume infiltration not sneaking as you have a couple of runners in milspec armour. In which case high alert proberly would have helped you. Unless im missing something
>>
>>44036326
If they're not wearing the same brand of milspec as the guards they'll stick out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>44036352
This is why you do legwork to have the face be able to impersonate past the guards and make a leak for the decker to assume turret and alarm controls. I don't know why no one wants to do this and just rolls dice instead
>>
>>44036326
>>44036352
Their milspec armor was covered in Ruthenium coating, which is essentially active camouflage. Their weapons were coated with the same substance. They absolutely could have snuck in.
>>
>>44036441
You still need to pass stealth checks, possibly while passing physical obstacles
>>
>>44036475
The two schlubs in power armor were sitting in the back of a truck, and the ninja was planning to talk their way into the facility using forged identification.

At any rate, it's all moot thanks to the mage. So we just shot our way in.
>>
>>44032237
Use coins.

On another topic, could someone upload Artifacts Unbound to the Mega please?
>>
Any hints for creating a swordy sammy with only the 3E Core Rulebook?
>>
>>44035481
Go for a regular Spritomancer in that case, and send in your machine sprites to Gremlins everything.

The only 'problem' is that nobody will ever believe it's magic, even if your character manages to delude himself.
>>
Posted last thread, I have a pixie mage in the party I'm GMing, following the Wicca tradition and took the Thunderbird mentor spirit. What would be a good way to play this?
>>
>>44036513
Soon as I get a PDF for it, sure. Or is it in the Mediafire? If it's in the Mediafire, I'll sort it out ASAP.
>>
>>44031824
Wonder why Knight Errant decided to go for the "faceless mook" helmet.
Did they even focus test that?
>>
File: XCOM_EW_EXALT_Squadbig.jpg (40 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
XCOM_EW_EXALT_Squadbig.jpg
40 KB, 640x360
>>44037743

KE is a front for ARES. I expect them to be lot more about shock and awe. So faceless goon suits them.

If we're talking public opinion I think about Horizon. If they send a hitsquad it looks possibly like Exalt...

"Oh yes, I'm Joe from accounting at Horizon. Last week some shadowrunners broke into our offices and stole some prototype that would help disabled children. So me and a few guys from finance came together and decided to get it back. Think of the children!"
>>
>>44033770

Check out the fluff pieces in the Advanced Medtech section of Augmentation for 4E.

Gives you a pretty good idea of the aftereffects.

That said, 40k totally does go into that kind of detail on things - Priests of Mars has some fun with exploring the horror of Servitor-dom.
>>
>>44037682
It's not in the mediafire
>>
>>44037824
>KE is a front for ARES.

They're a *subsidiary* of ARES. Front makes it sound like they're hiding the connection.
>>
https://archive.org/details/sg_Shadowrun_1994_Sega_US

Kind of relevant I guess
>>
>>44037945
Good to know, I guess. I'll see what my Google-Fu can do once I get home, assuming that there's no link posted before then.
>>
Okay, hear me out. I swear this isn't as shitty as it sounds.
I've been thinking offhandedly about a character who's a deconstruction of some kind of horrible fetish archetype that people might actually try in real life, just to reclaim the character concept from the hands of the fetish crowd.
What I was thinking was a heavily chromed razorgirl in the vein of typical Japanese cyberpunk - likely even with ruthenium-weave hair and colored cybereyes. Flashy high-grade 'ware, quality weapons and good looks at that - but of course, she used to be a guy. Corporate heir, pampered out his ass and fascinated with the elements of shadowrunning he saw in his trids and simflicks - and when his parents died in an "accident" probably intended to free up space on the corporate ladder, he suddenly had nuyen out his ass and no clear position in his life. Completely insecure about his own identity, with a diffuse plan about revenge and with more money than any one person should ever inherit. he had himself cybered up and subject to a stupidly large amount of reconstructive surgery to start over as a runner. It worked for long enough to get him onto a team, but now the panic is clearing, and he's starting to feel uncomfortable in the body he made for himself, and really just wants to get back to a corporate lifestyle and probably his own body. In the meantime, though, he's playing at the "cold Asian razorgirl" archetype in order to hide his impulsive rich-rid fuck-up from the rest of the group.
My question, after all the TL;DR, is how you would pull this off in-game. Would it be possible to use Resources A (3rd ed, by the way, and I've made my decision) to stat this out, or would it have to be fluffed with "experimental surgery" in his character background, seeing as he has had more money than he knew how to spend?
>>
>>44038027
Here's a link for Corporate Enclaves while you're at it: http://www.4shared.com/file/Lgtx4_v9
>>
>>44038280
Cheers, man, I'll sort it asap.
>>
>>44036128

Better not ask. That way, if HSB sees the mod, they have the choice of ignoring it. If you ask they have to make an explicit statement.
>>
>>44038207
To be honest, it would just translate as a street sam with a quirky backstory in 3E (I only know core rulebook stuff fyi). Though even by the end of cybering up in 3E, you'll be left with plenty of money to spare if you're going Resources A. Keep in mind the nuyen shuffle as well.
>>
How the fuck do sprites work with Technomancers? Do they look like this or are they just invisible code living in the DATABASE?
I don't understand the matrix or personas in general.
>>
>>44031976
You can do things like have a spirit possess a gun, or make a gun a weapon foci, but neither of those does much to help you shoot. The spirit could maybe cast Movement on the bullet as it exits the chamber, but it would probably have to be a powerful spirit and a very nice GM

Otherwise, you can (sort of) make magic bullets. Enchanting the bullet itself doesn't work (Hard Targets confirms this) because the firing of the bullet damages it, and so destroys the preparation. Unless its smoothbore (like a musket), but then its gonna be hideously inaccurate. Once thing you can do is make an magic potion and put it in a capsule round (once again, Hard Targets confirms this works), but there isn't any clarification as to how it works mechanically. If its an indirect spell, do you roll Potency+Force vs Reaction+Intuition again? He's already been hit by the bullet, so the preparation is definitely touching him...
>>
What are your thoughts on mid-to-late teenage shadowrunners? Aside from the expected lack of experience, that is
>>
File: 1439430843978.png (1023 KB, 1024x845) Image search: [Google]
1439430843978.png
1023 KB, 1024x845
>>44032738
Saying that Schwartzkopf's a university professor is massively underselling him.

He ran the AGS off of the area he wanted as his turf (including a very powerful witch), he fought running battles during the Year of the Comet to protect his orichalcum reserves from exploitation by the AA consortium AGC (conquering Marienbad in the process and bringing it into the Czech Republic) and he's a major shareholder in at least one magic megacorp.

Not to mention that he's one of, if not the, most powerful spellcaster alive, with great magical strength of his own and a horde made of some of the most powerful and valuable magical artifacts and books out there. It's not like he spends his days grading undergrad papers; he teaches the occasional high-level seminar, and the rest of his time building his great magical horde. The only one who may come close to his level of resources is Masuru, which is why the two snipe at each other and compete via shadowrunners. Depending on who you ask, he may or may not front for Lofwyr on occasion.

Schwartzkopf ain't nothing to fuck with; he earned the title Great Dragon.
>>
>>44038577
Alright.
I see way too many interesting character concepts be scrapped because "fetish", so I decided to see if I could do it in a tasteful way.
If I do play that character, I'm planning on playing him/her as completely unwilling to have sex whatsoever, as they're completely uncomfortable with the body they're in (and as such avoiding the usual pitfall of "gender change means sudden obsession with dicks in every orifice, ERP incoming"). The best outcome would be that they stay in that body, but more from becoming comfortable with the shadowrunning job and the routine in general than any kind of Tumblroid gender identity hangups.
>>
File: Gremlins.webm (3 MB, 640x464) Image search: [Google]
Gremlins.webm
3 MB, 640x464
>>44033100
>Implying he doesn't secretly post under a pseudonym
>People are expecting Lofwyr to post as Lofwyr, they never suspect Snopes.

>>44033154
He picked up the Gremlin's quality.
>>
Character concept: Two goblins in a trenchcoat
>>
>>44038720

Doesn't he have a secret society or something as well? How would I join?
>>
Just finished Dragonfall, have you guys found any good fan made campaigns for the game? Thinking of getting Hong Kong when it next goes on sale too.
>>
>>44038837
i don't think it's been finished but i found The Clean Fire to be the outstandingly good one among the rest
>>
File: 1437266292217.jpg (226 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
1437266292217.jpg
226 KB, 427x640
>>44038600
Sprites have their own icons in the Matrix; you could make them look like Gremlins, or CHUDs, or like any other kind of creature you want.

The Matrix is basically a physical representation of the computer code; just as your computer turns strings of code into windows and textboxes that you can understand, everything in the Matrix has an 'icon' in a 'physical world' that you can manipulate. A data file might be a book, a password-protected area might be a bank vault, Norton Antivirus is a blind three-legged Chihuahua, etc. You interacting with any given icon is an abstraction of dealing with the code. If you shoot the Chihuahua, that's a representation of your hacking program breaking the antivirus.
>>
>>44038879
I think you're giving Norton too much credit.
The only thing it would have going for it against anyone with a cyberdeck would be pity factor - have its icon be an elderly woman with a broken leg, and it just might get some deckers to turn around because they can't bring themselves to shoot something so helpless.
>>
File: 1445826037814.jpg (263 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1445826037814.jpg
263 KB, 900x1350
>>44038808
The Benandanti XXV. I don't know how 'secret' it actually is, but it has a cell structure, is spread across the world, and works to catalog and collect magical plants/animals/minerals/phenomena for Schwartzy. It also has the advantage of being a variety of traditions (good for the guy working on Unified Magical Theory), unlike most magic societies.

I imagine they are fairly low-profile, but if you demonstrate some good magical ability, knowledge, and a thirst for more they'd give you a trial run.
>>
>>44038748
Couldn't he just zoom out a bit before posting? Looks more like Incompetent (Electronics) to me.
>>
>>44038708
This is something that will massively depend on the player to work. "Genius kid hacker"/"freshly awakened magic user or technomancer" are perfectly valid character concept.

I personally would put a restriction on cyberware for the really young 'uns, because "no 'ware until the body has finished growing/needs to be replaced every six months due to body outgrowing it" but YMMV.
>>
File: j.jpg (262 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
262 KB, 960x1280
Do the qualities Combat Paralysis and Out for Myself work together or do they cancel themselves out?
I'm going for a character who KNOWS something is going to happen so he prepares but always panics and stumbles even though this is just what they prepared for.
>>
>>44039163
>I'm going for a character who KNOWS something is going to happen so he prepares but always panics and stumbles even though this is just what they prepared for.
that sounds like my entire life summed up in a single sentence
>>
Maan, I wish I could play a cliche hardboiled private eye (possibly with a side of weak, aspected conjuration) that keeps in contact with straight shooters in Lone Star.

But noo, if I won't GM nobody will
>>
Most interesting run your characters have been on?

So far, for me, it was a murder mystery on a luxury cruise. Mostly because of all the constraints. HTR was about six seconds away at any one time, there was the *very* real chance that if we fucked up, our characters would be personafixed slaves, and it was almost completely social investigation.

It was fun.
>>
>>44031824

>Topic: Getting high on BADs: Is there ANY downside?

My group is waist deep in the tempo arc right now, and only one player is seeing the shark fins above the water line for what they are. I love this game so much.
>>
>>44039270
we had to steal a thing from a cargo ship and then blow it up

the thing is the only way we had to blow it up was to activate some things in the lower points of the ship, and we wouldn't be able to get out alive if we activated because the time frame was too small, we had to appoint one of our runners to stay behind, because if we didn't finish the job we were gonna get hunted by TWO major groups (the client and the ship's owner)

after a while, the crew's rigger decided to appoint her drone to activate it once we were in a safe space because her control range was just barely what we needed once we escaped

the thing is, she had been customizing, upgrading and growing attached to that drone since we started the campaign, so it was pretty sad

we ended up stacking up part of our payment together to get her a new drone and pack it with tons of new shit
>>
>>44039270

I'm a forever GM, but my PCs' favorite run was the talking panda extraction from the Denver missions. It ended up with a hijacked city bus chase, selfies with a stunbolted tiger, and the panda being tased by Firewatch. Great stuff.
>>
If you're playing a combat character, why aren't YOU playing a Sharpshooter/Strive for Perfection street sam?

My most recent build involves exactly that, and getting 17 dice to aimed simple full-auto bursts to the groin is simply GLORIOUS.
>>
File: god damn it butters.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
god damn it butters.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>44039418
Because no one wants to work with a guy who shoots people in the dick.
>>
>>44039496
You say that, but being able to disable folks with lethal ammo without killing them is a godsend in combat.
>>
>>44039542
You could, you know, just use gel or stick-n-shocks, but I guess you'd rather shoot people in the dick. and no one wants to work with a guy who shoots people in the dick.
>>
>>44039692
That requires spending a pass swapping out ammo.
And nobody wants to waste a pass swapping out ammo.
>>
>>44039711
>spending a full pass on swapping ammo

Ever heard of an ammo skip, you fossil?
>>
>>44039741
Ammo skip only works for drum mags.
>>
>>44039750
And for cylinders too
>>
>>44039755
Right, but if you want to use an assault rifle...
>>
>>44039763
Why not just load a SnS mag before you get into a fight where you know you need to keep someone alive? Also, you could carry a backup loaded up with lethals
>>
>>44039783
Because everybody and their fucking mother has nonconductivity nowadays.
>>
>>44039763
The you use a smartlink, drop the mag' with a free action, insert the good one with a simple action and fire with the other. Still no need to waste a full pass on it, gramps!
>>
>>44039807
Can't do that if you have Strive for Perfection/Sharpshooter
>>
>>44039825
Even more reason not to take it, then.
>>
>>44039763
Additional Clip
>>
>>44039865
>>44039841
>>44039807
Why are people so upset by genital shots anyway? The replacement surgery is CHEAP, with low essence cost.
>>
>>44038720
Lung is actually supposed to be a better sorcerer then Schwartskopf is.
Schwartzkopf is the best Western Dragon sorcerer but Lung is the oldest and most experienced spellcaster amongst the GD's.
Hestaby (another very powerful sorcerer amongst the GD's) was tutored by Lung.
>>
>>44039883
The replacement is just not the same. There will be nothing like your good ol original johnny
>>
>>44039909
Would you rather be dead?
>>
>>44039909
Maybe
>>
>>44039946
was supposed to be @ >>44039919
>>
File: cover.jpg (168 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
168 KB, 600x600
If I make a Technomancer, do I make an additional contact in enemies for the people who would want me if they found out I was a Technomancer? Or does it have to be a SPECIFIC person who's hunting me because they know?
>>
File: JUSTDO.jpg (78 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
JUSTDO.jpg
78 KB, 456x320
Can we discuss newb traps? I am a new player and I have found with other games like this.. i often fall into newb traps and end up being useless or not having fun at all. My biggest fear is being useless and being cliche(I also don't like being special snow flake either)

Anyway, here are some concepts I am thinking about. Tell me if they are newb traps, shit, or not as fun as I would think.

1. Ork Shaman who specializes in alchemy and enchanting? Someone told me enchanting is actually hella ass.

2. Ork Rigger who loves Ares megacorp who specializes in ground vehicle stuff. I like the idea of a rigger controlling a bunch of cars and what not INSTEAD OF drones. I hate drones.

3. Ork Street samurai.. The problem? I have no idea how to fluff a street samurai to make them feel.. not just the same as every other street samurai. I mean, most street samurai are going to have the synaptic booster and shit like that. Also, I don't want to be a FULL ON COMBAT monster and that is what street samurai feel like?

Anyway, there are my concepts but I just have no idea if I will end being shit or not.
>>
>>44039995
Technomancer hunters are included in the base cost for being a Technomancer, though you can take enemies for people specifically after you.
>>
>>44040061
Riggers are newb traps. JSYK.
>>
>>44040061
>I have no idea how to fluff a street samurai to make them feel.. not just the same as every other street samurai.

Go ex-merc. Act like a soldier, not like a street samurai.
>>
>>44040115

He's asking for ways to be DIFFERENT from every other street samurai, Anon.
>>
>>44040099

god dammit. The rigger was shaping up to be my favorite concept. Any time frame on the rigger book? Why is rigger so ass anyway? Is it because having a wheelman is only good for getting to a job and leaving a job>?
>>
>>44040128
>>44040115

I geuss the problem I feel is that street samurai are just some people with lots of cyberware and bioware right? Wouldn't that technically mean anyone with a lot of ware installed is a street samurai? Like what defines a street samurai? Also, Are street samurai inherently combat monsters? I just don't want my ONLY job to be being big, dumb and combat only.
>>
>>44040129
The core reason is because Shadowrun's vehicle rules are pretty lame.

Add to that the rather small exposure and utter lack of customization otions, and you got a character that's good at something that doesn't get used or borks when used.
>>
>>44040165

What is fucked about the vehicle rules?
>>
>>44040061
>Alchemy and Enchanting
Newb trap

>Vehicle swarm rigger
Excellent

>off-spec street sam
Try to use anything other than Automatics. More of a newb challenge than a newb trap, as freeing yourself from the Operative Operator Operating Operationally archetype opens a lot of cool options to you. Like poison crossbows.
>>
>>44040165
Vehicle DRIVING rules are lame
Treating them as a drone swarm, on the other hand, is perfectly fine.
>>
File: street samurai.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
street samurai.webm
3 MB, 720x404
>>44040155
street samurais are prepared for quick combat, disarming, different combat maneuvers, shooting straight under pressure, making the most out of the least amount of cyberware, and are the most likely to stay alive after a skirmish

you could say a guy with a katana and an SMG is a streetsam but that'd be just some merc guy and no different from a simple ganger, while a good streetsam knows their shit down to the smallest detail

much like this webm someone posted last thread
>>
File: 1445807378209.jpg (11 KB, 235x212) Image search: [Google]
1445807378209.jpg
11 KB, 235x212
>Can create character names no problem
>Can't create an alias for the life of me
>>
>>44040274
Quite the expensive proposition, to use vehicles as drones.
>>
>>44040297
same tho
when i don't know what to come up with i just say the character's inclination towards aliases is just "I have nothing to lose, why would I have something to hide?"

if you wanna get some ideas, delve into the character background or what they do and try to piece something together from that
>>
>>44040297
Find something that stands out about them to the standard ganger and doesn't often change. Are they known for being loud and making a lot of bangs? Drummer. Y'know, stuff like that.
>>
>>44040297

I just use literary references.
>>
Is it a bad idea to use a shorthand of your name as your alias?
rigo for a mexican spic named rodriguez
>>
>>44040155
What defines a Street Samurai is some sort of code of honour. Without one, a Sam's just a razorboi/girl.
>>
>>44040404
Alias not found
>>
>>44040404
No.
One of my characters is a Russian. Her handle is Katyusha -- and her real name is Yekaterina.
>>
>>44040297
>>44040372
Likewise, but with place names.
>>
hoping to get into shadowrun soon, whats generally accepted as the best rulebook? is 5e fine or will most people be using a previous version?
>>
>>44040512
New player generally should get into the latest edition
>>
>>44040512
4e and 5e are fairly close in popularity, as far as I can tell.

If you are looking to learn the game, I'd start with the 4e 20th anniversary rulebook even if you want to play 5e, because the two editions are 95% the same and the revised 4e book is much clearer than the 5e book.
>>
>>44035085
High longarms also means you can be the dude with a fuckoff shotgun going into buildings with them too.
>>
>>44038207
>>44038577
I have a project going with myself to write at least a thousand words a day on anything whatsoever as long as it's writing, and today I cranked out some writefaggery on this concept (even if it's just a character profile). I know most of you probably aren't interested in reading a simple character profile without stats (since I haven't played enough to trust myself to optimize them), but if anything, it could give people ideas and spur on discussion. Here you are.
http://pastebin.com/qefFH5GF
>>
>>44040580
alright thanks
>>
>>44040416
This, so much. >>44040155, the samurai part is the most important. Go to Run Faster, pg. 22, and read the Code of the Samurai. Learn how to be a good ronin.
>>
>>44040922

but thats weaboo shit.
>>
>>44041321
Something being "weeaboo" isn't inherently an argument against it.
Why don't you like it? Just "it's Japanese" isn't a proper argument. I understand that there are a lot of weeaboos on the Internet, but making something inspired by Japan doesn't make you a weeaboo.
Being a weeaboo is something you choose to be through believing in anime Japan instead of real Japan. As long as you don't have a fascination with a Japan that doesn't really exist, you're not a weeb.
>>
>>44041457
>a fascination with a Japan that doesn't really exist
Does that make Shadowrun weeb?
>>
Is there any use to thsoe artisian skills like armorer and what not?
>>
>>44041662
Armorer is used for modifying weapons and armor.

Artisan is for flavor.
>>
>>44041678

modifying the weapons and armor how? I thought modifcations were not out yet? At least not until rigger 5.0.
>>
>>44040922
Please note that the Street Samurai is an archetype, not a class. There are tons of things you can do that don't match the big six archetypes in the book.

Nothing wrong with being a Novacoked-out Razorgirl, if that's the concept you want to run with.

>>44040773

So... he's batman but he decided to be obsessed with Japanese action starlettes instead of bats? lolk.
>>
>>44041731
Try reading Run & Gun and Hard Targets.
>>
There are so many skills or whatever in 5e but how the fuck DO YOU USE ANY OF THEM!? Like how the fuck do I use chemistry? How the fuck do I use biotechnology?
>>
>>44041822
>Chemistry
You see, Ivan, when of trying to make own drugs or alcohol from cheap ass goods you got in Stuffer Shack, then use Chemistry.

>Biotech
Now this one pertains to the theoretical design and practical implementation of bioware. Not a lot of use for the average runner.
>>
>>44041822
Sssh, ssh. Just take Automatics, Perception and Infiltration like a good little runner.
>>
>>44041321
Then make a street paladin or a street musketeer
>>
>>44041771
That must be a really dark retcon version of Batman you're talking about, if Batman locked himself permanently into the Batman identity after a drug-worsened identity/family crisis.
>>
are trolls affected in any way other than looks if they remove or lose their tusks?
>>
Are rituals ever used ever?

Also, can someone please take me through a "typical" encounter for your group maybe? I am particularly interested to see what a caster would do in a typical street shootout scenario.
>>
Are there any muzzleloaded firearms in 5e?
>>
>>44042088

hahahaha, rich guy makes terrible, drug fueled decision isn't really that dark, to be honest. He does the exact same thing that Bruce Wayne does, just in a more lazy manner. Rather than take the time to train himself, or really even try and find the people who killed his parents, he just throws a suitcase at Shiwase and tells them to turn him into a badass.

I mean, it is very Shadowrun, especially the part where he's probably going to die in a gutter somewhere, hopelessly addicted to combat stims, his humanity stripped away by years of life in the shadows and the cold embrace of near-full augmentation.
>>
File: oh god what the fuck.png (331 KB, 673x262) Image search: [Google]
oh god what the fuck.png
331 KB, 673x262
>>44042218
RAW, no, but if you might count it as having some of the effects of Metatype Reduction. Looks can kill in the shadows.

>>44042229
Rituals are used by the GM to fuck over players.

In a typical streetfight, the Mage drops all the goons with Stunball and combat is over at the end of round 1.

>>44042311
Check out Gun Haven 3 for this monstrosity.
>>
>>44042366
>Gun Haven 3
That whole book causes me physical pain
>>
>>44042361
I guess I'm just used to thinking of Batman as earlier four-color comic Batman instead of gritty modern movie Batman, really. Thinking about it, that's pretty much the same level.
What I really like about Shadowrun, among other games, is that characters actually make stupid decisions and are lazy at times. I loathe systems where flaws aren't par for the course and thus end up clashing with everyone else's builds as well as not being well-supported by the mood of the game.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.