[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, gentleman. I'm faced with a problem. One of the groups
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: 1426541261149.jpg (196 KB, 960x721) Image search: [Google]
1426541261149.jpg
196 KB, 960x721
Hello, gentleman. I'm faced with a problem.
One of the groups i participate as a player is mad at me.
For power playing? No.
For being unreasonable? Maybe
For roleplaying my own character loyal to his creation? Yes

I created a VERY fanatic cleric, and they want my help to raise an undead. Of course i was against it.
Now the group(off-game) is VERY mad at me because i'm "fucking the party" and is telling me that i should betray my roleplay and basically npc it.

Am i right here or am i being unreasonable?
Should i be forbidden of playing my char as i should just so they could "not die"?
And yes, their bigger worries are me killing the undead in one hit and so on.
>>
Bonus info:
Instead of giving plot and in-game reasons for a change of heart, the DM preferred to just prohibit me from doing it.
He didn't move a finger to change his story or anything at all. He just threw it at me.
>>
>>44018961
Raise an undead what?
Also: which god are you fanatical to? Does your god have a specific standing on undead? Many neutral and lawful gods have no stance on undead.
Has the party offered you the "paladin's distraction" route, where you turn your head while they do the awful thing? Or is your magic specifically required for this abomination?
>>
>>44019047
Yes, specially my char.
It was created to be a first front one-man army against undead and heretics.
Pretty much space marine.

AND NO. Not even a distraction or something. They just want me to stop or kick me out.
>>
>>44019024
You're not being terribly clear: what were you prohibited from doing? What is raising an undead... Thing going to do to keep your friends alive?
>>
>>44019062
Stop what? I thought this was because you wouldn't raise a ghoul
>>
Alright, OP, it sounds like:
You are playing a cleric of a god that is opposed to undead.
The party wants you to create an undead creature, you told them hell no.
They proceed to get mad at you OOC.
GM is not intervening.
Am I right?
>>
>>44019092
stop roleplaying and start "helping the party" is what I've gathered from this. here, I'll try and make it clearer as an outside perspective:
>be cleric of a god that hates undead
>party wants you to help raise an undead one man army to defeat something or other
>you say no
>party tell you "do this or get the fuck out of this group" OOC with no IC reasoning
>still say no
>GM says "fuck you, your character does it, I prohibit you from doing anything BUT raise that undead"
I think that covers it, right OP?
>>
File: 1442535746512.jpg (278 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1442535746512.jpg
278 KB, 800x600
>>44019062
>>44019024
>>44018961

You need to be a bit more clear before we inevitably judge you and your party/GM, with a solid 75% going in one direction and 25% siding with the other.
>>
>>44019072
>>44019092
Ok, my character is 100% against undeads.
He even goes berserk and all that.

The current questline, which none of them told me in-game yet, is to revive a dead PC so the player can play it again.
But, being an undead-hater, my character is gonna be against it the moment he discovers it.
Out of game they were asking about my character, when i said i was openly against the undead player and would possibly hate/kill it.
The players+DM proceeded in insisting i would be only fucking the party and being a moron.
I agree in hating him, but not being agressive after long discussions.
Still, they insist im being a moron for "not creating a reason for my cleric not-hating it".
>Like telling a nazi to be friends with a jew
I just say the DM can do much more than i can.
DM refuses to change his story, to give meaningful reasons, just straight-out tells me to deal with it and fuck my roleplaying.
I, again, be against it and i explain why this would betray the character history and rpg itself.
He gets under pressure and proceeds on telling me its 5v1 and i have to do it as they want me to.

I tried to explain as best as i could. Any doubts, just ask.

>>44019159
It's on OOC discussion entirely. Depending on how this goes, i wont play with that group again.
And i GUESS the dm will npc my guy and do whatever he wants, anyway.
I just dont want to npc it by my hand, you know? I joined to play my PC, not an NPC bound to his wills.
>>
Sorry for taking long to explain better, btw.
I'm messaging them while discussing here.
>>
>>44018961
Offer an alternative or rp asking your Deity for guidance and getting approval. It ain't that hard man
>>
>>44019254
>Revive a dead PC
Oh, well that's all right and good. Cast "reincarnation" or "ressurection" or what have you. Good gods are 100% on board with that shit. Not necromancy, not undead.
>>
>>44019271
The thing is, i did it.
I told the DM to give me reasons in-game. He refused.
I gave ideas, they were ignored.

>>44019277
I SUGGESTED ressurection! And they outright made fun of it.
My cleric doesnt know that spell yet, but theres always a higher rank. I suggested to search for an archbishop or something and getting him to revive it.
>>
>>44019254
This is my question:
Is reviving the dead pc making them undead, or a living, breathing man that your pc is CALLING undead?
Undead has a pretty specific definition of being an animated dead creature. If the pc will not be this, then it should be kosher by your faith, unless your faith also has the clause that what has died must stay dead.
However, you have seen proof in pudding that the group is fairly shit. I'd walk into the sunset and leave the game, because this will only be the beginning.
>>
>>44019254
I don't see how the DM could change it, it sounds like your PC is just fundamentally against resurrection being used for some retarded reason that likely no one at the table cares about
>>
>>44019254
You're. . . you're not talking about the spell Raise Dead, are you? Because, contrary to the name, it doesn't raise undead. It brings the dead back to full-life.
>>
>>44019303
Read the thread before you respond, anon, OP covered that >>44019292.
>>
>>44019254
The problem is you've already decided exactly what you are going to do without taking in any input from the story. That's not role playing.

Role playing would be working out the conflict with your fellow PCs.
>>
>>44019292
If you did it already you could rp that your character is deeply conflicted and traumatised and stuff, they go searching for answers or something, contact the Deity and get told ''Its cool brah''

On the other hand, your party and DM both sound like cunts. Get out if things dont improve dramatically.
>>
>>44019299
>>44019303
>>44019312
100% Undead. Its a "special process" the dm created and is keeping secret from us.
Not my pc creating things on his mind.
Its a not-living walking body with probable evil alignment.
The DM specifically told us it WILL be an undead.
>>
>>44019331
>that jaw dropping moment
Fucking really?
>>
I say be a dick and raise the guy. But not as a playable PC gain, but as a zombie or ghoul out of spite.
>>
File: 1424082289605.jpg (38 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
1424082289605.jpg
38 KB, 360x450
>>44019331
Yeah, okay, they (party+GM) are all being cunts, then. Raise it if he force you NPC style, then smash it back into the fucking earthen mulch from which it came. If there's no example of somehow 'Good' undeads in the setting, and you're playing a van helsing type, they're just being massive faggots.
>>
>>44019331
Your DM is using your character to create an opportunity to fuck the party over for the plot. I still suggest >>44019330 but it sounds like this will either be interesting or utterly idiotic so give it some thought.
>>
>>44019331
Leave this group. This a degree of railroading that hasn't been seen for many moons
>>
>>44019254
Just out of interest, how long ago did you join the group? What guidance were you given for creating your character? If you came in a session or two ago with this plot already in motion then both you and the DM have fucked up by not working out a character that'd fit into the group better. If you've been with them for months then your reaction is fair, they should know that your character has those beliefs by now.
>>
>>44019327
>>44019330
>>44019364
My character never met the to-be-revived character in-game. So i wouldnt be conflicted.
Its just another undead creature he hates a lot and wants it gone.
Understand? it IS what my character would do.
There is no conceivable way for him to party up with an undead.
And i even agreed on tuning it down to "hate" and not agression. Keeping it outside the hp and all.

>>44019340
Yes. I regret to tell you, yes it is true.

>>44019364
Nah, its literally a "i want my pc back, dm" case.
He is reviving it just so the guy gets to play it.
>>
>>44019331
In a normal gaming situation, that's just a DM taking the time to give you a conflict so you can have fun by using your character background.

If he's pissed at you...Hm.

It sounds to me like he didn't do a good job of setting your expectations before game play.
>>
>>44019331
If they were asking you to cast Raise Dead, as >>44019312 stated, it doesn't bring them back as undead. They return fully living, not as an Undead creature. So, if your party was asking you to cast that spell and you refused because you misinterpreted them, you're in the wrong.

If it would have brought them back as Undead as you claim then I think you are in the right. What the other characters asked for went above and beyond what was reasonable.
>>
>>44019387
>If you came in a session or two ago with this plot already in motion then both you and the DM have fucked up by not working out a character that'd fit into the group better
Unless OP refused to cooperate that blame would lie squarely on the DM.
>>
>>44019387
Not long ago.
I was forced on creating a healer. (Did it the best as i could, with nice background, ideology and personality)
And they could still try to go around my hate, you know? But they didnt even try.
And no, not a single other guidance. Just "do a healer".

>>44019402
Its not, he IS pissed because im "ruining" the game.

>>44019412
I agree. I tried to cooperate and the dm is being a lazy ass.
>>
>>44019393
No, it's what your character WANTS to do.

Give the other guys a chance to talk him out of it.
>>
File: B61.png (59 KB, 900x420) Image search: [Google]
B61.png
59 KB, 900x420
Your group sounds like dicks, OP, but as an aside I will say that groups should agree beforehand, out-of-character, to make a group TOGETHER that won't have these kinds of clashes. You're playing a collaborative game, not a competitive one.
>>
To me it sounds like the player who wants his character back wants to be undead and maybe he and the DM had set up this in advanced. It sounds like the whole party is at fault why didn't you all give a summary of your characters before your first session?
>>
>>44019393
If thats the case, if its really just bringing a PC back, ask yourself this: Why didn't the DM just get ye to go to a ''healer'' that can cast the spell? Thats what any competent DM should and would do unless they had a specific plan. Hell, that would be my favourite option, speaking as a DM, because its like a filler thing, a chance to develop characters and me not have to do much work. It sounds like hes using it for something plot related, especially taking into account that ye have been told that it will be undead and in your setting that means 99% chance its evil.

Alternate possibility; One of your players wanted to race-swap to a Revenant and the DM is using you to make it happen.

Either way, the DM sounds like an incompetent cunt. Ride it out and see where it goes but be ready to jump ship. Maybe see about finding a new game in the mean time.
>>
>>44019440
For some reason I'm reading your posts with a Russian accent.
>>
>>44019463
I tried to.
They didnt want to.
And yes, i explicitly said the character COULD change his mind over time.

>>44019477
I said this image to them and i had never even seen it.
Party drama is NORMAL.

>>44019497
EXACTLY. Its a Revenant.
And we're all too low-level to cast powerful spells.

>>44019502
Try jungle accent FREND.
>>
Let it happen. Make your character get so shocked by what he did he doesn't feel like he could ever repent.
Go full evil cleric/necromancy route.

When the BBEG fight happens betray the party and help the BBEG win but only barely. Kill the BBEG. Become evil incarnate. Destroy the world.
>>
>>44019546
DM "wouldnt allow" that.
If he is controlling such small acts like this, why wouldnt he bullshit the fight anyway?
>>
>>44019569
Fair point.
>>
>>44018961

dnd is a cooperative role-playing game

be cooperative.

also, just because you set out with a certain goal for your character and those goals change over time that doesn't mean you're selling yourself short.

its about group success. when the GROUP succeeds, THEN you win.
>>
If the group was an otherwise amiable bunch and you still want to roleplay with them I say bow to the whims of the group on this one. Roleplay is first and foremost a social thing and if this keeps on either you're gonna drop the group or the group is going to drop you because they're acting in consensus. It isn't fair, it breaks character, and it's pretty badly written from what the thread is telling us, but that is the situation at hand. DM is forcing you to play ball and you now have the option of going home or continuing playing in his court.

If you still want to do this, figure out a way your character could handle the situation that gets the result the party wants but still leaves interesting outlets for your roleplay.

If you can handle leaving the group, do it. It sounds like you're going to be marked from now on as that guy who made a fuss about doing the thing everyone wanted them to do. This is going to look especially bad because to them you're acting as a roadblock for another player's participation.
>>
>>44018961
You should really focus in what kind of group you got yourself into.

The fact that they are returning a PC only "to play it again" seems likes they just want a "reset" of character, just to play with "the build", so they seem to not really care about roleplaying and just dick around killing stuff and being rewarded for it, so even if you have good ideas for the character, if You are not the one that is working in the dinamic of the group, you are That Guy either way.

I would recommend if talking with other players like a mature person doesnt work, just forget it, play along in his ways, and find a more roleplay focused group, or try DMing for a while so they find interesting your way of playing the game.
>>
>>44019609
Yeah, but cooperation is a two way street.

It sounds like attempts at consensus haven't been acknowledged.
>>
>>44018961
LARP and punch the fucker in the face. Then ask whats wrong.
>>
>>44019621
>>44019633
I'm fully aware that i'm looking like(or even being) That Guy.
But they aren't giving me any option. It's just "do what we tell you, or get out".
The group is fun and all and, like a mature person should, i wont keep any hard feelings if i leave the group. I even suggested some one-shots for fun, after they kick me out.
They just play the game a way i'm not going to. I'm not a peon. And i understand that well.

I've made my mind and i'm out of the group.
I can work out with the players (probably) but the dm insists in being a railroader lazy-ass rude tyrant.
And i'm fairly sure he just wants to tell his history, because he thinks he's a real writer. So whatever i do, sooner or later we will discuss again. And i'm not fighting over this same subject twice.
PS: not a CHANCE he is willing to let go of his golden seat.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone.
As i also play as DM(in other groups), i prefer to always be sure that i'm taking the right choices. Be them hard or easy.
>>
I would try to convince them against it, in game. If that doesn't work, my cleric would leave the party, spouting off about their sins and vowing to stop them. I'd roll a new dude who is able to be more in line with the party, and either save the cleric for if the new character dies or give it to the DM for use against the party. I would just recommend you stop this being a personal and out of character problem right away.
>>
>>44019744
>I'm fully aware that i'm looking like(or even being) That Guy.
You're being like 2nd stage That Guy. 2nd state That Guy is someone who isn't a normal That Guy, but takes their RP to the point of it opposing the party.

I'd suggest talking with the GM and tell him that someone is gonna end up dead cause of this. But the GM seems like a cunt, so your best bet is to either explain that they're all stupid for doing something the healer is opposed to.

Alternatively, take the passive aggressive approach and don't heal them anymore when they get into fights. Nothing changes someone's mind like not having HP. Just wait till they're at 1 HP, and force them to swear an oath to kill all undead or something.
>>
>>44018961
>player wants to join
>has char who died a while ago
>how to bring him back?
>okay, we'll just get the cleric to do it
>cleric: NO
>everyone: why not
>cleric: CAUSE MUH CHARACTER
>everyone: dude wtf just let the player back in
>cleric: CAUSE THAT'S WHAT MUH CHARACTER WOULD DO

If this was being told from the DM's perspective, OP would be that guy.
>>
A character is not as importent as fun.

Sticking to your rp guns at the expense of the fun of the party is usually bad play.
>>
>>44019645
>Yeah, but cooperation is a two way street.

If you say you're going to leave the game because of it, that's hardly how you start cooperating with people.

Look, OP, here's the thing - your character? Your character can change. Your character should change. You're playing a game with other people, your character isn't the fucking protagonist in a novel all about them. It's never "what my character would do", it's always "what I want my character to do" - this could be a moment where perhaps your character gets to confront their views on the undead, but instead you're threatening to throw your toys out of the pram.
>>
Go full 'that guy'

Demand payment in the form of items and other special situational bonuses.

Alternatively, agree to do it but require a short side quest to allow your character to have the proper motivation. Maybe the deity appears to give rhyme or reason to the action like a prophesy or some thing. Maybe family members are turned, do you make an exception which leads to an ideological change.
>>
>>44021427
If the Cleric was opposed to Raise Dead or Resurrection this would be the case but he's not. He's against one particular form of bringing the character back that the DM strongarmed him into doing.
>>
>>44021886
A good GM would do that kind of thing. But it seems his GM is not a good GM.
>>
>>44018961
This is the reason I don't like party-oriented play and the way it's forced too much in most popular RPG's nowadays. It causes problems like this, this hive-mindedness that's needless instead of following individual objectives and goals that might overlap, cross, unite or even contrast and confront other's.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.