[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Feels Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 28
File: tumblr_nwhv0w2pTk1s3z2ppo1_500.jpg (65 KB, 423x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwhv0w2pTk1s3z2ppo1_500.jpg
65 KB, 423x750
>good feels
>bad feels
>ranting about group

Keep it /tg/ related.
>>
File: internalscreaming.png (2 KB, 182x156) Image search: [Google]
internalscreaming.png
2 KB, 182x156
tfw only one who brings food to game night
>meet once a week, we take turns hosting
>always make food if I can, usually small stuff like brownies or cookies, planning to do meatbread someday
>if no time, stop by local store and grab a tub of cookies
>no one else ever brings anything

mfw
>>
>have an idea for an RPG
>be lazy
>even if I wrote it, I'd never play it
>tg would hate it, so what's the point?

>have video game idea
>too lazy to learn programming
>tfw idea guy with bad ideas
>>
>>44001097
They probably appreciate your food
>>
My DM made a guy roll to throw his grappling hook up on a castle wall (like 20ish feet high), fuck that shit
>>
>>44004474
What is bad about it?
>>
>>44001097
>one time brought baklava from my work
>literally only one person had any
>missed facebook group that original GM couldnt make it, so a lot of different people with only a few regulars
>it was like everyone was grossed out by my gesture
>some girl brought bread and honey butter and people went wild and ate that
Its worse when you do try to
>>
>>44001038
No one ever puts away their phones or laptops no matter who is Dm, people get distracted, the game never happens.
>>
>>44004496
it just bugged me, like a level 5 competent fighter (archer) wouldn't naturally be dexterous enough to get a rope up there? I dont think rolls should be needed all the time

>roll to drag corpse
>rolls a one
>durr bodies are tangled together

its a dead corpse why does he need to make a roll
>>
File: 1449096442659.png (273 KB, 455x329) Image search: [Google]
1449096442659.png
273 KB, 455x329
>>44004474
Entitled fucking players, just throwing the grappling hook doesn't cause it to stick, that requires a roll
>>
>>44004548
My bad, I did not know the powerlevel

An average human wouldn't have it so easy
>>
>>44004508
What the chuck baklava is the shit, what kind of uncultured swine doesn't like baklava.
>>
>>44004548
>>roll to drag corpse
>>rolls a one
>>durr bodies are tangled together
I take my hatchet and untangle them.
>>
>>44004599
Go play a video game
>>
>>44004599
Was time of the essence? (For example, were guards making rounds and would soon discover the party if they didn't move?)

If not, rolling was a waste of time.
>>
>>44004633
>roll a one
>cut own arm off
>1d12 damage
>roll a 20
>crit
>insta dead
>>
>>44004665
good point
>>
>tfw the last time i got to play was the beginning of the year
My group's awesome, but goddamn they don't run campaigns when they say they will. At least they will be running something next year.

I hope.
>>
>>44004740
Have you tried roll20?
>>
File: 1448683795632.jpg (9 KB, 276x317) Image search: [Google]
1448683795632.jpg
9 KB, 276x317
>>44004658
Gotta account for luck man, just because you have skill doesn't mean you can't fuck up.

Rolling to throw a grappling hook is much different than dragging bodies, so that's a shitty example.

If you start hand waving moderately difficult things then you night as well start hand waving getting that grappling hook up to 30, 40, 50+ feet

Yeah, some actions are just stupid to call a roll for (like dragging bodies under normal conditions), since the chance and consequences for failure are little to none, but throwing a grappling hook a decent chance of failure and consequence (maybe you alert a guard).
>>
File: 1429514035440.gif (498 KB, 500x266) Image search: [Google]
1429514035440.gif
498 KB, 500x266
>making food for the party when we camp for the night and get a good roll

That's a good feel.
>>
>love mtg
>only person to play with is close friend who's not that into it
>don't like the LGS
>build decks that never see play
>>
>>44004740
I know that feeling, one of my players has been trying to start a campaign for the better part of two years.
>>
>>44001038
>Be dm for rogue trader
>put in literally hundreds of hours into backstory, filler, and character development
>this alongside well thought out, modular endeavors based on previous sessions game
>email weekly to group
>noreply.jpg ever
>>
File: game night.gif (2 MB, 380x365) Image search: [Google]
game night.gif
2 MB, 380x365
My favorite feeling is when a player is trying to decide what he should do in a tricky situation, I help him think of a plan, and then he thanks me if it ends up working out. It's nice to know you're liked and appreciated by your group, and it helps make game day the highlight of my week.

Other end of the spectrum, an online group I'm a part of hasn't managed to have a session in months, since the GM had to move cross country. The GM comes online to check if everyone's willing to play still, and so far there's been no opposition, but I still can't help but think we're just never going to play again. Who manages to pick up a dropped game half a year later?
>>
>>44004899
>when a player is trying to decide what he should do in a tricky situation, I help him think of a plan, and then he thanks me if it ends up working out
as a fellow player, it's a nice assist
as a GM it's blatant railroading
>>
>MMORPGs have more lines of code than a TRPG book, therefore the gameplay is more complex!

~my only player
>>
>Playing Fantasycraft, which is enough like D&D/PF to be recognizeable, but not quite the same
>Kind get the feeling that the DM doesn't quite GET the differences, and is treating it as the same thing
>as in, saves, half again higher than they should be; average BAB half again higher than it should be, etc
>for NPCs only, of course

And it's just borderline, so I'm not QUITE sure if I'm right, or whether I'm just whining to myself and imagining things
>>
>Have group of players who are happy for me to GM forever.
>Are open to any setting or system I suggest and will always give it a go.

>Have friends I play with regularly online where I don't have to GM.

The biggest problem really is that amount of time I spend RPing.
>>
File: 3971218827_8c4c39ce27.jpg (66 KB, 445x414) Image search: [Google]
3971218827_8c4c39ce27.jpg
66 KB, 445x414
>DMing excellently
>suddenly run out of voice because you never talk that much to anyone
>>
File: 1444004950471.jpg (102 KB, 942x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444004950471.jpg
102 KB, 942x1080
>fun campaign module all set up and ready, full of choices and options and contingencies
>party is new and just railroads themselves
>nearly wipes to skeletons anyway
>>
>>44004777
I've looked at the gamefinder threads and considered joining one, but I'm not sure I'd have the time to do so, and I wouldn't want to be a dick and join one and drop not too long after.
>>
>>44004923
youve never played with players to fucking stupid to come up with ANY ideas to fix a problem.
I have, its literally how my group barely functions.
>>
File: skeletal-victory-dance.webm (214 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
skeletal-victory-dance.webm
214 KB, 800x450
>>44002483
go tell that to these guys so they can bully you
>>>/vg/agdg
they've been especially rampant with shitposters recently. Also self defeating moods/personalities, though you've already got that.

Actually, you sound like you've already been there.
>>
>>44004923
As much as I agree that it is railroading, if my players legitimately can't come up with a plan beyond "hit it till it dies" and I know that that won't suffice, Ill let the more intelligent/tactically inclined players roll relevant skills to come up with a plan.

With a successful roll I can give them an example of something that would be effective, and give them a starting point for a plan.

I don't want my players to get wrecked by a fight and have to fudge the numbers slightly on the fly so that they don't lose. Winning with a plan also makes those relevant tactical skills feel worthwhile in investing in.
>>
>>44004923
Don't worry, I'm a fellow player. The GM just rolls with it.
>>
>>44005156
What do you mean by railroads themselves?
>>
>>44005750
Not him, but I imagine they just don't consider other options since they're so new. Instead of getting intrigued by details the GM points out, or perhaps deciding on their own to backstab an NPC after having been chummy for a while since they decided to change sides, they just meander along whatever way happens to be working best.
>>
>>44005909
I guess. What would you suggest is the best way to avoid this? That description reminded of all but one of my players. I've tried putting important decisions in front of the party and making them to decide which path to follow which seems to have worked so far in getting them invested in the path they're following, but is there a more subtle to encourage your players to notice and react to little breadcrumbs you leave for them?
>>
>>44005909
It means if any NPC asks them to do something, they just go right to it. They don't think to rest or buy stuff first, or ask questions or investigate if it's the right thing to do, or try anything creative, they just go and slaughter the kobold village, ignore the wailing kobold babies and come back.
>>
>>44005296
I was there, but their help was basically "sucks, learn to code".
Although to be fair, I already had the self.defeating attitude before that.
>>
>>44005053
Same. I never quite lose my voice (though its been close), but I always end up hoarse and cotton-mouthed from talking to every group member for hours non-stop.
>>
File: feels good.png (346 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
feels good.png
346 KB, 1024x1024
>player has a companion AI
>AI shows signs of being evil
>NPC who had been missing shows up and tries to destroy AI
>player dismisses her as crazy
>later, PC needs help of AI
>IamsorryDaveIamafraidIcannotdothat.HAL9000
>player suspects nothing and still thinks that evil AI is on his side

this is going to be fun
>>
File: Talent.png (123 KB, 1024x510) Image search: [Google]
Talent.png
123 KB, 1024x510
>>44006231
Well, a lot of them are stupid but still have a grasp on coding. Game Maker is easy. Unity not as easy. I've no experience with unreal but even my brother the artist made the base of a platformer using blueprints.

You just need to know what you want to make and what engine can provide the tools to help you make it. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is just limited on whether it's a 2D or 3D engine when it comes to the most popular ones (except Source).

Though if you hope to ever make a game you might as well give something a download and try some tutorials. You might give up in an hour or a day but at least you'd have learnt a bit and can try later if you ever feel like it and the second attempt will be easier, instead of trying a couple years from now and being yourAge + 2 and doing the same stuff.

At least you're not one of those people who thinks they "can't learn programming", you just can't be bothered.

Then you can be depressed about not having good art or music but other people can help with that. Plus those artists and musicians have no idea how easy programming can be after trying a tutorial and hitting a brick wall because their brains are wired differently, the suckers might over value your abilities.
>>
>>44006176
>>44006186
Personally, I feel you have to risk being a little cruel - have them go through with a quest, but turn out the quest-giver is evil and will backstab them. Maybe even have them get arrested/resist arrest from the local guard. Nothing TPK worthy, but enough to get them to think about what sort of quests they're doing, and who for. That way they start actually paying attention to details instead of just assuming they'll be okay every time.
>>
>Be me
>Be in two games currently as a player
>Love GMing and want to get back into the swing of things with new experience and my homebrew system I've been working on
>Don't have time
>Work schedule is unstable as is with just two games
>>
File: 1445507398184.gif (48 KB, 578x519) Image search: [Google]
1445507398184.gif
48 KB, 578x519
>players get invested in your setting and want to learn more about it
>they don't just murderhobo the NPCs but take time to interact with them and befriend them
>closest thing I had to a That Guy was the guy who didn't read through the rulebook and had to be guided through everything
>even then by the time the campaign ended he'd learned everything and became a good player, and is now running his own game that we're all enjoying

Feels pretty good.
>>
File: LILB.jpg (32 KB, 854x462) Image search: [Google]
LILB.jpg
32 KB, 854x462
>throw fireballs/lightning bolts
>kill a few bad guys
>whole table compliments me like I did something amazing
Im the *only* full caster at the table

>mfw
>>
File: I mad_1.jpg (240 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
I mad_1.jpg
240 KB, 1280x720
>Players who insist on waiting to call off the weekly game literally hours before it starts
>I've spent the better part of the prior day prepping and clearing my schedule so we can play
>This keeps happening
>The alternative is online games
>>
File: 1449199124926.jpg (64 KB, 736x1160) Image search: [Google]
1449199124926.jpg
64 KB, 736x1160
>>44006231
learn game maker. easy as shit, can make good 2d games.
>>
>>44007275
>learn game maker
Or don't, actually make a good game, learn a good skill and have more than three people see it ever.
>>
File: low poly dark souls.gif (525 KB, 450x650) Image search: [Google]
low poly dark souls.gif
525 KB, 450x650
>>44007311
that really depends on what he wants to make, which, yeah, might not be accomplishable on a 2D engine.
>>
>GMing for first time
>party is full of anti-social asshat murder hobos and a pacifist
>Put interesting things in front of them
>"No, GM. We go around"
>Including, but not limited to
>A fight between two opposing factions (Ignore, loot corpses, flee)
>Outpost guard offering quest (We want better rewards. no? fuck you)
>Persons in the aftermath of a town assault (No talking, only killing)
And what pissed me off more than anything so far:
>"You're walking down the splintered remains of the road, towards the next town, you see the cliffside rise sharply on your right, vast desert spreading to the left. It is a great many hours, but the fences surrounding the town emerge from the haze, and you can see the resort-hotels rise above the rest of the buildings"
>[gunfire ricochets off the tarmac]
>Player: I shoot him [roll roll roll]
>"through the telescopic sight, you see the body of what appears to be the lone guard fall off the structure, and plummet to the ground"
>Player: We turn back to go around the town
>[sighing] "OK, you turn back, it'll probably take the rest of the day to backtrack to where to cliffs meet the road"
>Player: "What cliffs?"
>"THE ONES I DESCRIBED AS YOU ENTERED THE TOWN! Why am I even running this if you're not fucking paying attention!?"
>>
File: 1336922224241.gif (499 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1336922224241.gif
499 KB, 500x281
>Run campaign that lasts a few months
>The players adventure a lot, meet various kinds of people
>They finally confront the BBEG, and the demon he summoned
>After a bloody battle the players are victorious
>Can't help but feel that the final encounter was weak compared to the rest, even though I had it mostly prepared since the beginning of the campaign
>>
>>44007925
Sounds like you ran a worthy campaign though

After enough adventuring id imagine the players got badass
>>
>>44008210
Oh, not weak in terms of combat, it was challenging and the players used great tactics to stay alive. In the tower where the final two sessions occurred, one of the PCs died. I just don't think the story had a lot of impact on them, at least it didn't seem that way.
>>
>>44008259
im sure they enjoyed it.. maybe not in the way you fantasize, but thats life (meeting in the crossroads of idealization and actualization).. if the game stuck around that long something had to have been good
>>
>>44004796
What the fuck are you rolling for? Accidentally burning the food?

What.
>>
>>44008369
I set cooking as my Craft skill, so I was basing it off of that.

A bit dumb, sure, but I never really have a need for anything I put down in there anyway. If I chose Blacksmithing, for instance, we're never in a town for long enough to make armor or weapons.
>>
>>44008414
Wait. No. Now, I'm curious. What precisely are you rolling for? Never mind how dumb it is.

Since you mentioned cooking craft, I assume it has something to do with the 'quality' of the food, though I'm having trouble reconciling this as craft implies you have a certain amount of ability, but the die roll implies it's all up to chance anyway, not your competency.

Please explain?
>>
>Be 15 year old me silently autistically existing in a Games Workshop
>Random guy sees me and invites me to hang with him and some other dudes
>After about a week of this the head of the group proposes a game of nWoD
>Everyones down, we roll up characters and have a good time sessions 1 - 3
>Aside from me, group leader and one guy everyone slowly loses interest
>Game dies, we all still hang out, occasionally trying to get very short-lived games going
That group mostly dissipated by a year later. The three of us into TTRPG make ideas for games but want more than 3 people involved. Unfortunately were all autistic and dont want to risk some normie coming in and mocking us(We were like, 16 or 17. Shut up)
>Eventually try to run a game myself, give everyone I selected for the group a solo session to get a feel for their chqracters personality
>First is the old head of the group. Give everyone Base Chargen + 30 xp
>He makes what is, to this day, even after now years and years of Online nWoD, the most overpowered character with a Revolver and Combat Marksmanship
>Dealt 27 dice worth of attacks in one round, handilycrushing any sense of control or feeling of competance I had. Totally freeze up and cant think of what to do with my pencil-case sized chest of DM Knowledge. Game ends that combat.
I dunno, I thought he would understand I havent done this before and am still nervous and unsure so MAYBE DONT FUCKING POWERGAME SO HARD DUDE
FUCK
Yes Im still mad
>>
>>44008369
rolling against cooking skill to avoid a gastronomical disaster and leaving everybody disgusted instead of satiated
>>
File: ss (2015-09-15 at 11.08.47).jpg (38 KB, 204x367) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-09-15 at 11.08.47).jpg
38 KB, 204x367
>>44008369
Degree of tastiness
>>
>>44008507
It's an RPG, you roll against your competency level at things to determine whether you succeed and if so how well. That's just how it is.
>>
File: nightmaregoggles.jpg (40 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
nightmaregoggles.jpg
40 KB, 722x349
>>44004508
I dont know what that is, but I'd sure appreciate it, anon!

Feels? Ok: I dont want to lead a group anymore, nor do I want to play. I'm just tired of it all. It may have something to do with my depression, but that for sure is not /tg/ related. Just today I deleted my work for the last three campaigns I ran plus all of my old, as well as my never played characters.
>>
>>44009177
Not a very good explanation. The RPG in question is also important in terms of mechanics. In example, standard TTRPGs have you roll your hit against an enemies AC (or equivilant), not simply a roll against your 'competency'.

A bit like the argument for rolling on things that happen outside of combat in non-stressful moments, the only practical thing you can roll for on cooking [reasonably] is chance to fail, or 'accidentally burning the food'. There is no reasonably conceivable way your food 'just tastes better' THIS time you cooked it, as opposed to the LAST time you cooked it with the same competency, provided you use the same ingredients.

Anon, you have to have deeper thinking. Throwing a grappling hook onto a tower purchase doesn't really have 'degrees of success', it either gains the purchase and holds (under a specific amount of tension), or it slips and fails.

I hope this isn't really just a case of over-RPGification, where every action is a die roll regardless of the action itself, as I said in my post "you have competency, but it appears to be up to the chance of a roll anyway".

Put more simply, it's food for fucks sake, why are you inserting bullshit roll mechanics for cooking a leg of ham.
>>
>>44004508

Those faggots just wanted to appease the girl like the beta keks they are. Baklava is god tier, who the fuck eats bread with honey butter as a snack or dessert? That's breakfast tier bullshit.
>>
File: 1428814987285.gif (1 MB, 350x191) Image search: [Google]
1428814987285.gif
1 MB, 350x191
>Wandering, looking for places to spread the religion of the God of the Rising Sun.
>Find some people wandering, apparently need to transport someone.
>Follow along as to find the nearest town and some coin, my mail needs some work done.
>Get ambushed by goblins, kill all of them but one.
>Takes the person we're escorting.
>This one forgives for his actions and is not an asshole.
>Tie him up.
>OOC our That Guy rouge gropes him.
>I didn't pay attention as I was writing down loot and stuff.
>Head over to goblin, I see rouge about to coup de gras him.
>Stop rouge, he is angry, but only IC. (He is "mostly" ok OOC)
>Turn to goblin, sit down, I roll interrogation.
>I get a 5.
>He resists and screams. I slap him.
>Knock him out, have to use lay on hands because no cleric.
>He wakes up, intimidation.
>Roll nat 20.
>He spills the beans, there is a cave nearby with a bugbear. This guy doesn't like him and the other goblins under his command.
>Disgonbegood.gif
>Force him to lead us there, party didn't want to rest.
>Everyone is hanging around the rouge and laughing while I talk to the goblin.
>He seems redeemable, not really bad, not really good either.
>Get to cave, bushes outside. Seems suspicious.
>Ask goblin, he whines but then realizes what I did last time, tells us that there are three goblins hiding in them. I act kind and just tie him to a tree and don't send him in as cannon fodder.
>Talk to the party, they are arguing and bickering among themselves.
>Say fuck it.
>I charge yelling twords the cave, intimidation roll of a 15.
>Surprise round, and they are spooked as hell.
>Ranger and warlock fire off ranged attacks as the rest of us close in.
>The goblins die except 1, who dies later due to a fighter in the group.
>Wolves come from cave. We slaughter them with little damage.
>Move in, find a group of goblins around a campfire.
>Someone gets the good idea of throwing the bard in there and thunderwaving.
>GM tells us you need one heck of a roll.
>>
File: 1448831501250.jpg (49 KB, 736x1091) Image search: [Google]
1448831501250.jpg
49 KB, 736x1091
>>44009612
>Rolls a nat 20.
>GM tells him to roll damage.
>Rolls max damage, 8 Goblins dead 4 stunned
>Whole table laughing as it actually worked.
>We finish them off before continuing on.
>Skipping some traps and sneaky sneaky. (Also DMPC shows up and kills 20 goblins to show off.)
>Arrive at main boss room. Start planning.
>We sneak in, a large group of goblins and the bugbear is inside, aaand the goblin forgot about the 2 dire wolves.
>We adjust our plans.
>5 rounds of good sneaking rolls and we’re ready.
>The party druid casts entangle on the group of goblins, stunning them all, everyone lights up the bugbear and wolves. Cones of frosts, eldritch powers, and magic missiles going everywhere.
>2 wolf dead, all goblins dead, 1 really angry bugbear.
>Tells us he is below ½ health. I’m the last one to go.
>I grab a rock and throw it, not a boulder, just a small rock. (I lost my character sheet and didn’t realise I had a crossbow.)
>Roll a nat 20. Bugbear dead.
>Laughs heard all around as we loot and get back the person we’re to escort. We head out, I grab the goblin.
>I talk to the goblin and take him under my wing.
>>
File: 1449054651208.jpg (121 KB, 672x768) Image search: [Google]
1449054651208.jpg
121 KB, 672x768
>>44009632
>Slept, only female adventurer had to barricade the door from the rouge.
>Woke up. Hear yells and screams in rogue's room. (OOC I learned that apparently That Guy raped to death the 13 year old barmaid and spilled her entrails across the room. The female character of the group, the ranger walked in and freaked out. Her character now has debuffs for being nearby the rouge.)
>I don’t care for the rogues antics so I had breakfast and patrolled around town to find nothing. Came back to find they were ready.
>Head to cult hideout that we found from interrogation.
>Walk in, cast some buffs on myself, wis check.
>Few people fail including my character.
>GM tells us what we hear. Most people don’t react to it.
>The GM says that a voice tells me, “Gangis (Rogue's character name) has killed many others and he will try to kill you next”
>I fail bad. GM didn’t expect me to roleplay it out.
>I hit the rouge with my maul with 2d6+2d4+5 damage and he is down to 4.
>Table in shock, no one expected anyone to react. GM realised this and applauded me after game for RPing when others did not.
>2 daemon things appear and start to kill party members, dealing tons of damage each time they hit with their slams.
>Rouge turns to my character, don’t know whether he is going to attack IC as I realised that the daemons caused this, not my god.
>Game ends.

We got through 4 sessions and 3 encounters before he never hosted it again. Later I asked and he said that he had too much going on IRL to manage an RP. Become great friends with that guy. Whenever we walk by eachother, no matter where it is, he yells “FUCKING PALADINS” and we crack up. I just lost my GF today, we’ve been together for 3 years now, nearly 4. Thanks for being great /tg/, you make me keep going.
>>
File: c4jt321.png (310 KB, 580x282) Image search: [Google]
c4jt321.png
310 KB, 580x282
>>44009661
I was first going to ask why would you play with the rogue's player but then the feels at the end.

Sorry, bro. Eventually it wont feel that bad anymore.
>>
>>44010160
Thanks bro, oh and the lesson here if you're GMing, don't let a teifling weeaboo chaotic evil character named "Genghis Khan" and a human lawful good paladin named "Vladimir Smirnoff" be in the same campaign without expecting conflict from the two.
>>
File: oh gosh.jpg (22 KB, 210x229) Image search: [Google]
oh gosh.jpg
22 KB, 210x229
>haven't GMed in like a year
>casually hint that I'd like to run a D&D 5e game for my old Pathfinder group
>they jump at the opportunity and swarm me with texts and messages about the game, when it is, and what they want to play
These fuckin' guys
>>
>>44010343

>Players take advantage of a GM who wants to GM so they can play

m8 not to rain on your parade but srsly it's like you've never glanced at a gamefinder thread to see all the playerplebs
>>
>>44004790
The problem is, there is no reason to care if you don't attach a grappling hook on the first try. "Okay, fine. I try again." It's not interesting, it's not dramatic, it's fucking boring. You should only roll dice when all of the following are true:

There is a reasonable chance of failure.
There is a reasonable chance of success.
It is important to know whether you succeed or fail right now.

Not in battle? Not pressed for time? No penalty for failure? Don't fucking call for a roll. If the character is highly skilled "Yeah, that's simple enough, you succeed.", or if the character doesn't have much skill but is still capable of succeeding "It takes you a few tries, but you manage it eventually."
>>
>>44012029
>there is no reason to care if you don't attach a grappling hook on the first try.
Of course there is. What if it skitters down the wall and attracts attention?
>>
>>44012428
>attracts attention?
Nigger, he JUST said
>It is important to know whether you succeed or fail right now.
Attracting attention comes under that point. Otherwise, "It takes a few tries, but you manage it eventually."

Anything else?
>>
>>44004928

>gameplay
debatable.
>gameplay mechanics
definitely.
>>
File: sam.png (58 KB, 379x333) Image search: [Google]
sam.png
58 KB, 379x333
>come to feels thread on /tg/ looking for a little bit of catharsis
>it's been a rough couple of months
>everybody's just arguing about grappling hooks
>>
File: url.jpg (12 KB, 214x236) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
12 KB, 214x236
>>44004899
>game night.gif

That gif needs an "OH YEAH!" slapped on it.
>>
My fucking players man.

>Start Jade Readent on reccommendation from a mate
>Everyone enjoys it, then one randomly goes pissy and leaves
>They want to change to something with more roleplaying, after 2 sessions
>Say fuck it, we'll swith to Rise of the Runelords, because it's good for that shit.
>2 sessions in, they want to change again, to something with kingdom building.

Fucking hell I'm about to scream at them I swear.
>>
File: the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif (2 MB, 357x296) Image search: [Google]
the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif
2 MB, 357x296
>>44009564
>>
>>44009404
It was half joking anyway - it would make it a bit more fun to fail as much as succeed, burning the soup and leaving the crackers watery. It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, and it's not like the DM gave us a bonus for a good meal (though surprisingly, a good sleep gave us a temporary int bonus).
>>
>>44012659
It's okay, people who think grappling hooks are actually a viable way to climb things are the same retards who think a couple youtube videos make them the master of a martial art.
>>
>>44004508
>have a game at my house for once
>wanna make dinner so I guess I'll make some for everyone
>blow them away with some lamb murtabak
>one kid randomly says I should make him shepherd's pie
We never invited him again.
>>
>>44013674
err, what? If you aren't a fat slob (and adventuring parties are suppose to be more fit than fat slobs), you can pull yourself up a rope. Using grappling hooks to ascend walls is literally just pulling yourself up a rope attached to a secured hook.

In what way is that not... 'viable'?
>>
>>44007311
http://store.steampowered.com/app/248820/

Game maker is perfectly serviceable for making good games.
>>
>>44013926
Learn a real engine. Like UE4.
>>
>roll a 20, whole group lets out a cheer
>entire table goes quiet as you roll to confirm
>>
>>44013926
Yes, but it's only serviceable for making game maker games.

Something like Unity with c# is a much better bet, because the time you've spent will then be transferable to pretty much any kind of game you could make -- and could also be a legitimately good skill to have in your career or similar. If you're going to spend time learning and doing something, you may as well go with the thing that's most useful rather than the thing that's a bit easier.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.