[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, A while a go we had a server for minecraft called
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 27
File: CSrEz7J.jpg (2 MB, 2073x3099) Image search: [Google]
CSrEz7J.jpg
2 MB, 2073x3099
Hey /tg/,

A while a go we had a server for minecraft called Parnatha. Lots of /tg/ presence. It got shut down because of lack of funds and time.

I'm going to start it up again on a new world, many new features. Any of the old players out there? Or any new players interested.

Pic related is the new map,
Here is the old thread for the OLD map.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/servers/pc-servers/2290809-parnatha-light-rp-survival-semi-vanilla-fantasy-a

-Adramelekh
>>
File: zgl089M.jpg (526 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
zgl089M.jpg
526 KB, 1920x1080
Renders of the World Map by Maruku
>>
File: ZnQqTQN.jpg (679 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ZnQqTQN.jpg
679 KB, 1920x1080
>>
I've always wanted to get into minecraft, guess this is the best way.
>>
>>43997921
>Maruku

I never understood, is that a guy or a program?
>>
>>43997884
>It got shut down because of lack of funds and time.

I've played one too many servers that seemed amazing or fun, that just get shut down after a couple months. Pretty sick and tired of investing time and having it go to waste.
>>
>>43998035
Playing single player to pop your cherry might be the most satisfying.
>>
>>43998063
As someone who has 200+ hours in RUST and Reign of Kings I'm all too accustomed to spending hours on something to see it reduced to nothing in seconds.
>>
>>43998063
Totally fair, the world of server ownership is fickle. That and the fact that it can be costly to maintain create this exact environment.

The main "goal" of servers with a vision is to try to overcome these hurtles. But often I see it not happen like you. In the end its hard to say. I get where you're coming from.
>>
>>43998117
To be fair though, Minecraft is not even fun to play normally, let alone when you're grinding for materials.
>>
>>43998063

how about you invest some money next time and help the host out if you're spending so much time in them
>>
>>43997884

How would it work? What would it do?

Is it just like, we get together and build themed cities (because I'm cool with that) or is it like an RP PvP thing (I'm cool with that but won't have the time)?
>>
>>43998166
Yea that makes sense. I once had a /tg/ terraria server once. Worked really well and was kinda fun. Died quickly due to server computer exploding and then moving house
>>
>>43998175
OP here, also this. The goal is to create a server where this is unnecessary. However sometimes this is the best option, especially when donating means you earn real respect and input instead of player kits and perks, I'm 100% opposed to donation for perks or kits.

However, i wouldn't ever try to run a server based solely on donation, as its bound to tank.
>>
File: 1448847899559.gif (561 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1448847899559.gif
561 KB, 320x200
>>43998175
>Paying for Mindcraft

Maybe if the game itself was free initially. I already paid my due to that fat fucking Jew, and while the money would be better deserved elsewhere like a server, I'm not doling out another cent for pixel block game.
>>
>>43997884
Ip please
>>
File: dp6bMoI.jpg (525 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dp6bMoI.jpg
525 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>43998224
Still not up yet, waiting for 1.9.

Trying to get people involved to gauge interest. Namely trying to find old server population, but also recruit new.
>>
I would play it.

>>43998197
In my experience, minecraft online is really good when you invest yourself in city/server politics, diplomacy, trade, wars and such.

However it requires being able to settle in only a limited number of cities, and things to trade, so an unbalance in resource repartition.
>>
Oh shit, I remember that server.
>>
>>43997884
That's a pretty great map, man. How is it made exactly, or are there more?
>>
>>43997884
>Or any new players interested.
Maybe, what do you do on the server? Most minecraft servers I've gone to, it's just a bunch of people farming resources and building shit, which interests me not at all.
>>
File: GvO4MKH.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GvO4MKH.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
have to step out for a bit, answer questions when i get back.
>>
>>43998446
Is the map already generated or can you do different resources repartition ? Are the biomes set up accordingly to the map features ?

Anyway it looks fucking good.

What plugins do you intend to use ?
>>
>>43998380
See this was the hope for Reign of Kings. But nope, just turned into medieval "make a base and kill people you meet, maybe raid and take their shit too!"
>>
>>43998446
>>43998599
bump
>>
File: 5ezCKuX.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5ezCKuX.jpg
483 KB, 1920x1080
I'm back!

>>43998307
Parnatha IS partially about building. Make a nice settlement/kingdom. But in addition, there are industries to capture, gold mines, lumber mills, fisheries. These produce daily bounties for whatever kingdom owns them, and can be captured like control points.

One controversial thing that some people won't enjoy, is the wilderness (anywhere not in your kingdom) is not mineable. Therefor if you dont have clay in your kingdom, you CAN'T get it without capturing a far away clay pit or trading with another kingdom (technically you can buy any building block, not functional items, for minecraft gold ingots, but prices are highly inflated to boost trade)

Other than that, there's dungeons, quests for special items, gods to be worshipped with a functional mechanism for how much they are worshipped (donating XP) and sending boons to their worshippers.

>>43998357
The map is made by Moonti, a worldpainter, and the map name is Le Monde (he's french)

>>43998380
see above. But there IS building. much less farming if you don't wish to.

>>43998599
Map is already painted, you can get it from planet minecraft, made by user "Moonti". its called Le Monde. Resources are already painted in, I can't change that, but I can make some things more rare.

In addition I'll be using a plugin so that certain crops grow poorly or not at all in certain biomes, making it more realistic.

I plan on using right now: Factions (highly tweaked, I don't even want to call it factions since its not like regular factions servers)

Some custom coded plugins to handle the deities.

Nether-portal disabler, players cant build nether portals, since the entire nether is a giant dungeon. nether materials will still be accessible through other means.

Thats about it, I'm keeping it pretty light plugin wise. I'm a bit of a command block savant as well.
>>
File: Hwyw4hc.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hwyw4hc.jpg
528 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>44000232
Everything about it makes me hyped as fuck.
>>
>>44000232
Get this shit started, I'm itching to be a traveling warrior priest!
>>
File: 2015-11-12_10.41.17.png (4 MB, 1920x1005) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12_10.41.17.png
4 MB, 1920x1005
Desert City of Tur Sula
>>
File: CRCSxBb.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CRCSxBb.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>44000287
>>44000307
Major issues with starting now:
Waiting for MC 1.9 release (Not as huge, we could launch now, reconfig plugins later, maybe custom nether and some dungeons would have to wait for 1.9 release, but overworld could launch)

Funding. This is the main thing. I never want to MAKE money off a server, but I have found with past experiences, paying for a decent server every month adds up. Don't know how to tackle this one diplomatically.
>>
>>44000315
Are the cities pre-made ?
>>
>>44000358
A few cities are "prebuilt", that's just to kick in some flavor. They aren't everywhere and there's nothing to stop players from building cities. Just a few metropolises where people can go for quests or certain trading opportunities. The major cities have temples too, where you can pray to your gods to receive blessings.
>>
>>44000393
Can you live in them or are they "NPC cities", so to speak ?

Also, specifics on the faction system ? Can anyone create a city ? Is there a fee or an upkeep ?

So far everything seems good to me. Is there the treefal plugin ?
>>
>>44000424
I was thinking earlier, there's really no reason players couldn't "live" in the cities, but you wouldn't be able to break any blocks, some of the cities have some serious precious materials in them. But for someone who wants to travel and just have a home to return to, I don't see why not. I could even enable a small district in each city where players could build a 1x1 or 2x2 chunk plot.

Factions wise, you'll need at least 2 other players to start a faction, before that you will belong to a small common area. But even before starting a faction you can explore anywhere. Last iteration of the server the factions (we call them kingdoms) got pretty big, and lots of unused land, this time power to claim more land will build more slowly, encouraging mode fine detailing in the land you do own and rewarding more dedicated players. No upkeep but your allowed maximum control area is governed by people in your kingdom. So if your king is a dick or your officers sick, people will leave and you'll have to give up some territory.

>treefall plugin
All the trees on the whole server are custom models, so the leaves don't decay, I hadn't even thought of this, great idea!!!
>>
File: rcZz5Sh.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rcZz5Sh.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>44000514
Those cities are usually worldguarded, and not part of the faction system then, if I understand right ?

Also as for 1.9, it's up to your preference. The server could also start in 1.8.

For the funding, I really don't know.
>>
>>44000618
I just make the cities a faction of their own that is hidden. I can even make them open so anyone can join, just only the nonexistant leader can edit blocks.

I'm not opposed to opening the server sooner than 1.9 but if we wanna push launch I'll need to find a way to help funding.

Otherwise I can wait for 1.9 and I'll use my tax return to get a yearly subscription hosted server. Gonna need some more powerful specs for this amazing map.
>>
>>44000655
>I'll need to find a way to help funding.
Well, donations seems to be the usual way to run such a server, but I really don't know.

I'd say, I would play the fuck out of that server and of course donate to keep it running (if there is transparency in the mechanism at least), but it's ultimately up to you.
>>
>>44000712
You give me great hope sir!!! Transparency how? I'd like to just hook it up to PayPal, and have it always show how much has already been donated that month, and have monthly cost of the server be common knowledge, so if the server is completely funded for the month there'd be no need to donate.

Like I said, I super don't want to demand donations, I don't even mind paying the full server cost some months, but I can't always depend on my wallet. Some months I have surplus funds, some months I'm in the red.

Also to clarify, there will NEVER be donation perks. I hate that shit.
>>
File: OsWY7I6.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OsWY7I6.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>44000824
>I'd like to just hook it up to PayPal, and have it always show how much has already been donated that month, and have monthly cost of the server be common knowledge, so if the server is completely funded for the month there'd be no need to donate.
That's what I call transparency. See, if this server is running well and all, I clearly don't mind helping it too.
>>
File: 2015-11-21_16.01.07.png (1 MB, 1920x1005) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-21_16.01.07.png
1 MB, 1920x1005
>>44000879
Well damn then, I guess i should rush production some more.
>>
>>44000983
That said, if I DO rush production, there will be some features missing at launch. I can work on them over time. Just so everyone's on the same page.
>>
>>44000983
>>44001028
I say, do as you think is best, but keep us updated here.
>>
File: tEHTKRX.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tEHTKRX.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>44001028
I would suggest making a skype group or something of the like for prospective members to join, that way you can centralize information (and get an idea of what size community you might expect at launch) without having to rely on people staying current with future threads on /tg/.
>>
I would love to try this out; I've had the minecraft itch return after a long time of not playing. The map is gorgeous too. I'd be willing to wait for 1.9 just to save the hassle of updating all the plug-ins and shit.

I'm assuming this is a pvp server? Is there any kind of filtering/application process to join? I'd hate for shit to get griefed to hell and back but I guess there's a certain amount of that expected for any multiplayer server. I don't mind faction fighting and the like but I don't know how well the last server did with that, was the community generally respectful?

Also do you have an estimate for how much the upkeep costs might be? I'd be willing to chip in if it's a fun time, but I dunno how much servers usually run per month/year.
>>
>>44001126
Great idea! Not Skype though... A blog or subredsit maybe?

>>44001153
The last community was AMAZINGLY respectful, but we were whitelisted. This time around, the wilderness (outside of your own kingdom or a common build area) will be uneditable until subsumed by a kingdom. So with block griefing out of the picture by even well known players there's not much people can do with hardcore hacking.

Other than that all pvp and raiding is legal. Since you can't break shit, walls function like walls in real life should. Hopefully we'll have a faceted enough community that if one faction is going around fucking over other factions, they'll get what's coming to them by way of retribution. But that's for the server politician types to engineer. As an admin I don't micro manage kingdom wars or non-rule breaking offences.
>>
>>44001273
When would this thing be active?
>>
>>44001153
Oh and yeah, we can get a pretty beast server with sufficient backup space for 30$ a month, sufficient one for 20$.

Backup facilitations are important for wherever we host since the map is already 4GB since its all custom tooled and therefore all chunks loaded already. The nether will be another 3 or so GB so right off the bat the server is around 7GB.

I also don't know who exactly we'll be hosting with. I used to host with MC prohosting, and they had great hardware and pricing, but the way they handled support tickets and just ALWAYS experiencing mistakes in their billing process kinda turned me off from them.

There's so many hosts out there, I honestly don't know how to choose one over another.

The other other issue, is that I'm an americunt, but I live in Europe (long story), so hosting location is important since I'd like both EU and US players to be able to play without too much ping. We had some Aus players on the last server, great guys, but they're fucked on ping no matter what.
>>
>>44001317
If we wait for 1.9? Months. if we don't and launch as beta, weeks.
>>
Talking bout gods, since most of this has been technical talk. In the future I plan to have around 20 deities, mostly minor with a few major.

For launch we'll have three major and 5 or so minor.

First off, the ancient desert sun god Tur. He's a pretty rad guy who powers up his followers during the day.

Then comes Mitia, the moon goddess. On the last server the moon god was evil, but this time we have less 1 dimensional gods. Mitia is the guiding glow of the night. With minor following she grants her followers protection from attacks at night. With heavy devotion her followers can create temporary healing auras for their friends to enjoy.

Finally we have the unfinished earth god. In charge of crop growth and mining sheeit.

The minor deities are arguably more exciting with stranger boons to their patrons. But I don't want to ruin any surprises since most of the minor gods shrines are hidden.
>>
File: 6Ytrb22.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
6Ytrb22.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>44001396
That's not too bad. That's like $5 a month for 6 people, $10 for 3. My income fluctuates wildly but I'd be happy to kick in a piece of that for a good time.

So if I'm understanding correctly, basically player factions can explore freely but can only claim a certain amount of land at a time, working that land until they build up enough power to claim more? And factions with more members will have more land power, but a decrease in faction population will cut into land ownership too?
>>
>>44001592
With how shitty my PC is, i often forget about how amazing minecraft looks from a distance.
>>
>>44000232
is there going to be a focus on PvP and destroying each other? I think it would suck to work really hard on building your kingdom and then it gets destroyed one day.
>>
File: X7wSJqe.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
X7wSJqe.jpg
409 KB, 1920x1080
>>44001663
You have a pretty clear view of the concept. Your faction slowly builds power over time anytime a faction member is online. This time much slower. so you may gain only 1 chunk (16x16 block area) per 4 hours playing on the server per person playing, but over time you build up more land.

Claims will also always have to be connected and will eventually have a maximum size for your kingdom (still very large).

>>44001674
As stated before, nothing you build once you found a kingdom or join one, can be destroyed by anyone not in your kingdom. Raids will be to kill and steal only. There is no "focus" of the server though, trying to have decent options for PvP, adventuring and exploring (this map is fucking super kawaii, seriously its fun to just walk through), dungeons, roleplay politics between kingdoms, merchants, trading, capturing of properties all over the world that produce gold, wood, different types of food, quarries for different stones, all capturable by any kingdom.

I know raiding and getting to reduce blocks of kingdoms is fun and realistic, but for the longterm health of the server and to inspire thoughtful and passionate builds, I think it better to leave it out.

As for your valuables, you can build redstone vaults with combo locks or traps or well hidden (plenty of tutorials on youtube)
>>
File: 2015-10-29_16.07.59.png (1 MB, 1920x1005) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-29_16.07.59.png
1 MB, 1920x1005
from the southern shores.
>>
>>44002026
/int/ used to have a server (maybe it's still up) that would use a custom Earth map, and all of the towns had to be historically accurate, each iteration of the server being a different time period. There were some incredible builds on the early servers, but due to griefing everything eventually degenerated into giant walled cities – some of which were actually quite well designed, but completely detached from the rest of the map by their giant memewalls. The whole point of the server, to build in historical earth, was lost, as each settlement might as well have been built in a box. Nobody trusted anyone else, nobody ventured outside except to grief, and due to constant raiding everyone was kill-on-sight.

It sounds like you have good measures in place to prevent this sort of outcome (building enabled only in your own settlement, for example, prevents people from towering up and leaping over defenses, so people can actually build aesthetic and reasonably-proportioned walls), but a big factor in it is holding the userbase to some standard of decency. War and robbery is well enough (and quite fun if done sportingly), but if you don't invoke admin fiat if it begins to get out of hand, then things quickly devolve into griefing.

Essentially, if you allow users to entirely self-manage it can cause bad blood when someone does something in the grey zone, even without ill intent (because with such a set-up, no user has the authority to "fix" things)– and when members start getting genuinely pissed off at each other, that's when the server collapses and people stop having fun. If you can intervene and, as admin, declare that a minor but contentious infraction be reversed, people will happily accept and things will stay reasonable.

Unfortunately, the more complex the interactions between players, the more likely you'll have to involve yourself in some form.
>>
File: 5vweGLT.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5vweGLT.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>44002475
Good insight. Previously we had a pretty amazing userbase. But by growing we certainly will have to deal with it at some point. Factions does support a "war mode" where you can toggle special settings. We could have war declarations more formal. Something to definitely ask the userbase about.
>>
File: 1434960229228.gif (391 KB, 437x480) Image search: [Google]
1434960229228.gif
391 KB, 437x480
From the previous server
http://imgur.com/a/c22EX
>>
>>44000232
That control point idea, mmmm. I always wanted to set something like that up on the Elder Scrolls/Fallout servers I've RPM'd on(RPCraft/Akavir/Ashes Of Our Fathers, anyone?). I'll be keeping an eye on this.
>>
Lotta minecraf threads up lately. I've been waiting for the Realistic Terrain Gen mod to update a bit more before and finish my gorram LAN cabling at my new house before I set up the the /tg/minecrafters server again.

>>43997884
I never seem to run out of funds or time but players.
>>
For some reason, that map reminds me of something out of Bionicle.
Anyway, I'm game to play if a server goes up.
>>
File: tamriel.gif (898 KB, 1882x1377) Image search: [Google]
tamriel.gif
898 KB, 1882x1377
>>44000232
It looks a LOT like Tamriel with everything resized
>>
>>44002026
What happens if somebody claims a settlement on, say, a capturable gold mine? Would it just be permanently theirs?
>>
File: cjkFVYF.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cjkFVYF.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>44003044
>Bionicle
OP here, exactly what I thought the first time I saw it. its gorgeous in first person though. if you crank up your view distance its amazing for days.
>>
File: RXfvRhK.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RXfvRhK.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>44003124
You can't claim within a certain distance of a property. Ostensibly it could be right on the EDGE of your settlement, or if you get mega huge enveloped by it, but I think we could make a server rule, no completely enveloping a property.

all resources are value adjusted too, so gold mines give you fewer gold than a stone quarry gives you stone. most resources only have 1 capture point, especially the building blocks ones. Gold, Iron, Coal and Diamond have varying amounts. Diamond mines are VERY difficult to reach.
>>
>>43997884
This sounds pretty neat. Last time I played minecraft with /tg/ was during our dry-run for the last attempt at 4craft, which was pretty fun if confused as hell, before the inevitable lavaspam anyway. Once I unfuck my computer I'm down to play.

One think I'm a little wary about, though, is the "no edits outside your territory" thing. While I understand that some restrictions are necessary in order to promote trade, avoid resource glut, and make "your land" valuable as a concept, I'm also of the opinion that some level of construction capability is necessary at all times, both for gameplay purposes and flavor.
It's difficult to explore the world if you can't do things like nibble steep slopes to jump height, bridge gaps, or throw up a rudimentary hidey-hole for the night. Flavor wise, I'd be a bit sad if things like traveler's inns and wayhouses between kingdoms were impossible. For that matter, how could you build roads between non-adjacent kingdoms?

Would it be feasible to only drastically slow off-land block breaking, or limit block placement outside your territory to only simple materials, such as wood? Maybe a plugin which bars the placement of crafting blocks in wilderness, limiting travelers to what they've brought from the homeland and what they can make by hand.

Not trying to tell you how to run your own server, mind, just spitballing ideas here.
>>
File: one 30th.png (329 KB, 461x546) Image search: [Google]
one 30th.png
329 KB, 461x546
>>44003360
no no, you have exactly the right idea. I've struggled with this forever. Ive spent an insane amount of time humming and hawwing, and there's no perfect solution. First off, in favor of no wilderness editing, the map is absolutely GORGEOUS. Moonti is a god among world painters. I really don't want it looking like shit. However the idea of being able to hidey hole, and craft is important too... as far as mountains go, I want them to be tough to scale, not just being able to block up them. There are ways on the server to obtain high jumping and jump II potions already exist.

I love way-houses or inns, I dont know exactly how to tackle it. theres some ruins with crafting table and some even with doors in the wilderness already, but its not a permanent fix.
>>
>>44003476
Would it be possible to set a cap on the number of blocks one can place in an off-territory chunk? If you establish the wilderness limits at, say, "no more than 40 blocks placed or removed per chunk, no blocks beyond dirt and sand (I.e. shovel only) removed, no crafting stations placed", that should cover the most of it. That way it's impossible to build or dig out factionless fortresses, stripmining and cherrypicking ores from wild caves is blocked, but it's still possible to make minor ease-of-travel changes like building small bridges, handholds on slopes, mob-safe crannies, and placing torches.
Building somewhat larger structures in the wild would be possible only by building on the intersection of four chunk's corners, which would allow you to build a fair-sized little inn or watch house at the cost of restrictive positioning and burning up the edit allowance of the surrounding area.

Maybe also limit wild-placeable blocks to wood and items crafted from wood, along with maybe wool for decoration, to keep the wilderness looking wild and to ensure that any attempts to cheese the system can be easily addressed by the proper application of fire.
>>
>>44003476
Perhaps if two kingdoms agree to finance a road between them, they could then petition you to remove the nobuild on their selected builder long enough to build the road?

That way you could vet any wilderness builds for quality (and trustworthiness to not abuse the privilege) and ensure that there's great value placed on whatever is being done. If it costs a great deal of resources and good-standing within the userbase to build a bridge, then we'll only get that bridge on an important trade route between two established kingdoms, and not as some middle-of-nowhere vanity project to a half-built hut kingdom. Mountain roads would only be a reasonable expense if there was a very powerful driver for the investment, like a diamond mine high in the peaks that a more militaristic kingdom might invest a massive resource pool in order to be able to quickly move many players up to protect it. There would be an economy of sorts to financing a wilderness build – two kingdoms might corroborate, or one might finance it on its own, but anyone would be able to use it. Any build outside the settlement would necessarily be a strategic investment.

As for inns and such, perhaps those could be fulfilled as small settlements of only several people – if a traveler from a more prosperous kingdom needs to craft, sleep, eat &c., they can pay the toll. Tiny kingdoms like this would be able to do their own thing without having to worry about competing with the large kingdoms to capture resources, instead receiving resources from the large kingdoms for the services they provide. The inhabitants would be free to build or travel without having to worry about server politics or be "lower" than other players (which may be the case if they join an older, larger kingdom).

As for building hidey-holes from mobs, maybe we're better off without them. It's not like building a mud fort or digging a ten foot pit is a reasonable option when you're being attacked by wolves. Let wild be wild.
>>
All those landscapes are making me salivate. I'd totally be game to dust off Minecraft in order to once again strike the earth.

That being said, I'm one of those people whose ideal method of play on multiplayer servers is 'fuck off to the wilds until I find a nice spot, build a really sweet temple/bridge/mine/thematically appropriate building, then move on' because I enjoy the challenge of building and I like leaving cool stuff for other players to discover.

The inability to do that with factions has always been a turn-off for me, and while I definitely understand wanting to protect the map (and what a map!) from becoming a crater-pocked, lava-and-sand covered hellscape, It bums me out that my creative itches will be unscratchable.
>>
File: fEK0zSC.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fEK0zSC.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>44004034
Damn anon, you literally have the best idea so far. Put in that manner... It makes perfect sense. I really think this is how I'll do it.

Maybe set up a way for single players to obtain a claim without creating a regular faction. Just so you don't need 3 people to build an inn.

Also, claims must be connected. However theres no reason you cant claim in a line or chain. If a road is so important, like previous anon specified, you can claim in a 1 or 2 wide line into the wilderness. And if its too far, other kingdoms can bridge to meet you.
>>
>>44004267
I understand, there's many different styles of minecraft. It would be harder to do that with this set up. But not impossible.

see what we're talking about here
>>44004034

also theres no reason as a builder of renown you couldn't join a kingdom, build a road or bridge or temple for them, and move on, to another kingdom or hamlet.
>>
File: 2015-11-23_19.09.28.png (2 MB, 1920x1005) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23_19.09.28.png
2 MB, 1920x1005
>>
>>44004438
Well, my only concern is that in order to actually build anything, the faction/kingdom needs to both already be located nearby a desirable spot and have enough players to cover the entire target area, otherwise I won't be able to build anything.

Also, I sort of object to what >>44004034
is saying about 'middle-of-nowhere vanity projects'. Part of what I like most about building is putting something interesting into the landscape for other people to find. It encourages exploration, or at least; I'd like to think it does. People rooting themselves on a barren cliff just because it has an easily defensible position and then never leaving their walled city ever because they're self sufficient is... well, I usually left servers at that point.
>>
>>44004331
That's a good solution for several points, but it doesn't really address the ease of travel argument. Being able to dig/mine a few blocks (or at least torches) is important for basic mobility.

Also, considering this IS 4chan, the abusablity of total place/break control is a concern. We all know there will always be one or two people happy throw a block of dirt in the doorway as soon as travelers walk in.

Plus, if off-plot building requires admin authorization, that means more shit for you to keep track of and more demand for short response times. If you're good for it, all the better, but I've seen people get bogged down with this sort of thing if they didn't plan around the extra workload.
>>
>>44004898
>>44004331
this guy again
>>44004034

By 'middle-of-nowhere vanity projects' I mean the sort of massive, poorly constructed, and often only half-built structures that crop up on freebuild multiplayer servers. I've downloaded the base map, and it's quite beautiful, and it would be a shame to see a whole river valley deforested and sheared flat because some wanker started to build a half-castle half-pixelart atrocity before he got bored and quit. Part of the reason why I think wilderness builds should be regulated is for this reason, so the admin can see when these things are done and who is doing them.

Another possibility is to have a class of traveling contract builders who live off of their clientele (or simply such a class within the ranks of a kingdom). If a kingdom wants a bridge built, the group of builders will go off and found a settlement on the spot, construct the bridge, get paid, then disband the settlement.

The same approach can be taken, to a certain extent, by those who want to build secret one-off structures then abandon them to be discovered by others later on.

That does bring up an important question, though – how do you prevent griefers from using the same strategy?
>>
>>44005374
>how do you prevent griefers from using the same strategy?
Well presumably the admin/mod on duty simply wouldn't approve the project.

Failing that, staking a claim should have an associated cost or deposit fee, scaling with the scope/location of the claim, which would prevent unaffiliated and uncontracted builders from establishing large claims on their own. Instead, kingdoms would cover the cost of the fee in the builder's contract, who'd then go off and use those funds to file a claim. If it's a deposit system, they'd then return the deposit less payment rendered or skip out to the next nation over as wealthy outlaws, never to be trusted freelance again.
>>
>>44005726
Unfortunately the system runs off what "power" your kingdom has, which builds individually for each player. so the power of your kingdom is actually equal to the sum power of its members. 1 power claims 1 chunk. I can just scale how slow power builds.

But this all sounds exactly like the discussions I want to be going on about the server.
>>
Ok, bed for me for the night, I'll bump if it exists still tomorrow, feel free to discuss.
>>
>>44005877
Could you have it that for wilderness builds they message a mod and the mod claims for them thus limiting the claim area and they can come back to ensure it is completed properly rather than left unfinished?
>>
Can I steal people's stuff? Wouldn't mind RPing as a thief or something.
>>
I haven't played Minecraft in forever, but this seems pretty interesting.
>>
>>44006953

Fuck you.
>>
>>44005877
I thought the idea we were discussing was kingdoms hiring groups of unaffiliated builders who can form a faction claim at the work site then abandon it once work had finished, as a way to get around kingdom land claims requiring continuity. This would allow kingdoms to build watchtowers and such without having to claim every chunk between the build site and the kingdom proper.
>>
>>44001674
I hate to be the buzzkill and all - but for vaing played the first and the last iteration of /int/craft, a handful of hardcore buildfag servers, and 2b2t, an anarchy server, I feel the need to speak up a bit.

Even if you are a buildfag in hearth (and I am), playing in a PvP-oriented world is probably the best challenge. You learn to be useful in a world that isn't yours from start. A kingdom, after all, isn't buildings, it's people.
>>
>>44007898
Nah, it's good, and again I'm >>44009347

Don't treat PvP as a threat, it's never good. One mentioned /int/craft in the thread, and I'm currently playing it. The biggest problem is not the divide between PvPfags and buildfags, but how that faction that has both PvPfags and buildfags is always the one coming on top, the secong being fueled by the loot of the first, and the first getting away with it because frankly they still have the best cities in /int/craft.

The lesson is : if you like raiding, get buildfag friends for street cred, if you like building, get raiding friends for tagging along and cheap chest plundering.
>>
Could there maybe be a Discord server put up for this before the thread ends? I'm interested but am very likely to miss any future threads.
>>
>>44009666
A discord server would be a good idea to keep updated
>>
>>44009640
If you're familiar with /int/craft, you should know that they lose most of their playerbase every iteration – and while Chien and co. are by no means bad people, it says a lot about the server that the "old guard" group of players are the center of controversy every iteration, and there's a serious schism almost every time (oddities like the TFC serb being the exception).

I personally never had any big problems with other users, not even the raiders, but I saw how loose regulation of standards of play led to issues in the community. Maybe the current version is different (I haven't been on in over a month), but in general it could be kind of a shitty atmosphere even though most of the players were decent people. And the endgame was always the same – raiders dominated the server and drove the rest of the userbase out (as they stopped having fun), save for the oldfags and a few others like me who hadn't been inconvenienced enough to jump ship. When the next iteration went up, the server was spammed on /int/ and /pol/ to draw new users in, and the arms race began again. Not that /int/craft is shit (clearly I kept going back), it just has a history of major problems.

I'm not against PvP at all, I think it greatly improves the experience if it is done right – but if there are no consequences for griefing, things go downhill. Saying that builders and "raiders" must form a symbiosis shows how dysfunctional the /int/craft standard is. That's like something out of a post-apocalyptic novel, the buildfag/raider distinction only exists in servers where other forms of interaction and gameplay have broken down.

Again, I'm very much for PvP, but /int/craft is not an example of PvP done right (at least on a community level).
>>
Op here, I'm.awake again
>>
>>44016535
Way to play without registering on those forums? My info got fucked when they transitioned to CURSE.
>>
>>44016562
Well the server's not up again just yet, so currently theres NO way to play :D

This time I think we might not have a whitelist. since more will be protected.

As for the old forums, I think they will be replaced by something much more simple and singular. Perhaps a single page website.

Also, whats >>44009666
discord?
>>
got my twitch up and running!
I'll be streaming myself wandering around the gameworld while I drink my morning coffee. Feel free to peep in!

my twitch is:
/architectadramelekh
>>
>>44016752
my internet is NOT good for this
>>
>>44016773
bump
>>
That world is awesome and I can't wait to play it.
>>
>>43998206
>I'm 100% opposed to donation for perks or kits.
How about, instead of a few super rare things donating a dollerpound gets you say, a stack of cobblestone or wood?
Cuts down grinding to build massive cool shit and means you still have to work for rare stuff.
>>
>>44017935
I don't mind the idea I guess but I think that violates the Minecraft EULA. Any law fags out there?
>>
>>44017952
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't have any pay-to-win elements. Cosmetic stuff, yeah, but nothing that makes it easier to play if you pay money. There was a post on the Mojang blog a while back about this.
>>
>>44018061
Cobble, dirt and wood are cosmetic as fuck.
Receiving some in exchange for donations means you don't have to destroy the landscape, that's pretty cosmetic.
>>
>>44018605
Here, I found the post:
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

And the follow-up:
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/

So it looks like blocks should be fine, as long as it's possible to get all blocks without donating.
>>
File: -8918835086756418113.png (441 KB, 804x819) Image search: [Google]
-8918835086756418113.png
441 KB, 804x819
>>44019040
A builder pack of sorts, interesting, What does everyone else think?

Also, being aware of time zones and stuff, I think I'm going to stream for a bit again, if anyone wants to watch and request a look at some locations, have a gander.
www.twitch dawt tv slash architectadramelekh

Pic is old server map
>>
Planning on any modpack for the server or are you just not going to put in the time balancing everything for that?
>>
>>44019553
>What does everyone else think?
I second this. Flavour NPCs would have been good too.
>>
Stream just stopped working, trying to fix
>>
fixt
>>
>>44016679
Discord is a recent chatting software. You have servers, and within each server there are voice channels and text channels. A big appeal of it is that you can invite people by just giving them a link, and then they can join either in the client or just a browser.

My personal issue with Skype is that if you had a group chat for it, if I wanted to join, I'd have to find someone that's already in it to add me, and afterwards I'd get notifications constantly because it's a large group of people talking. And I don't want to sit in Do Not Disturb because if someone I know needs me, then I won't know. And then if you want to voice in Skype, then there's only one "channel" unless you construct a whole new conversation.

I personally think Discord is much better but I recognize that's just, like, my opinion, man. That's my suggestion.
>>
File: G4IuE2C.jpg (122 KB, 1224x918) Image search: [Google]
G4IuE2C.jpg
122 KB, 1224x918
>>
This sounds fun but i like adventuring and just exploring the most but a lot of the time in these kind of servers people get upset cause i don't build anything and i'm not playing how they want this won't be a problem will it?
Also are there different races?
>>
>>44020469
Not OP, but he said in the stream that there won't be different races.
>>
Yo when's the stream up next?
>>
>>44020778
He said he might stream later to day, but he'll do building tomorrow.
>>
Anybody here ever play on the /int/ worldmap server? about 5-6 months ago? It was a blast, the entire thing was run by Britbong cheaters though, so the UK was pretty much the ultimate base. Man, I had a good time.

I wouldn't mind playing some classic MC with a /tg/ theme.
>>
For the record I once played a game actually within minecraft. I did all the combat stuff outside of the game as it's shit in MC, but the movement, inventory management, and world worked fantastically. A resource pack made it very personalised. I got good feedback.
>>
I take a huge amount of joy out of the "Mine" part of Minecraft, and I want to know how the checkpoints work is it spawning a golden nugget in a chest, or is the check point a gold mine that can be hollowed out? and if so is there a point in digging your own mineshaft in your factions land.
>>
As long as it doesn't reset every month like /int/craft due to admin autism, I pumped at least 200 hours into that shit.
>>
OP here

>>44021034
awesome idea actually...

>>44021101
Most resource points will only be 1 per world. Only multiples will be gold iron and perhaps diamond mines.

None of these will give you an insane amount of resources, just a steady flow each day (you have to travel to the points to collect the income as well. There will likely be 3 gold mines and 3 iron mines. Mining should ALWAYS be more lucrative than owning one of these points. They just slowly give you resources passively. Mines are also very important to how i enjoy minecraft, no worries.

>>44021275
If we can get decent donations just to keep the server afloat, I don't see any reason it should go down.
>>
>>44021689
Are these mines or resource control points open common knowledge or will they have to be found in the wildnerness?
>>
>>44022110
I think found is more exciting :)
>>
>>44022363
True but if wilderness mines are kept a guarded prospector secret or just never found then its just an edge to a few individuals at best. If it was common knowledge to everyone then you have clear, interesting conflict between individuals, factions, theives, owners, everything.

Exploration should of course be rewarded but having at some of these points be known would be a good thing I think.
>>
>>44023516
Well if someone follows the prospectors, then the knowledge can be leaked even if the spy is killed, because respawning.
>>
>>44023516
I think there should be more of these mines, villages, fisheries and such build as the kingdoms progress, to give people something to really fight about.
>>
So if and when you do start the server, where will I be able to find the ip and how can I donate to it?
>>
>>44021689
Do you mean per biome considering that there were about 3 fisheries that we saw when streaming
>>
>>44023516
>>44024131
We'll start off the server with 1 of each, and 3 gold and iron mines. We can move from there, I need to finish a LOT of stuff already, but I like the idea.

>>44024243
You can always find me via my twitch, /architectadramelekh
>>
>>44024465
No there was only 1 :D I just kept going there.
>>
>>44000337
This looks pretty good. I'm down
>>
>>43997884
Now if I could ask a question on the topic of gods, What happens if the players themselves end up spreading a "heathen" religion that does not have an assigned god in your pantheon, How is that handled?
>>
>>44025447
Everyone gets together and burns the heretics
>>
>>44025534

Even if it was something as harmless as a god of Craftsmen and Artisans? Something implicitly beneficial to all societies?
>>
>>44025562
we must not suffer the heretic
>>
>>44025447
>>44025534
>>44025562
>>44025756
OP here, there isnt really an issue with that as far as im concerned. The thing is the gods ive created have actual effects if worshipped enough. I'd rather not have to brainstorm new mechanics and programs new means of god boons everytime someone creates a new RP god.

I don't have any issue with people RPing faith though.
>>
I think the most fun thing in Minecraft would be exploring and then building.
The blocks aren't the smoothest thing ever, but it's great climbing tall mountains, running through vast plains.
>>
>>44026079
Actually, I know what this reminds me of.
Exploring Azeroth for the first time
>>
Is this cracked/pirate free? If so I'd be glad to join for sure.
>>
>>44029567
yeah I think it goes up to 1.7 you might have to ip connect but other than that
>>
>>44029724
Whats the ip then?
>>
>>44020469
You can always just be a nomad. Maybe form a group of players to be gypsies and steal things from people, then call them racist when they tell you not to steal their stuff.
>>
Is it gonna have the standard Minecraft animals or are there going to be other things.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.