[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BOARD GAME GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: bgg2.jpg (902 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bgg2.jpg
902 KB, 1000x1000
New general, since the last one is about to fall off page 10.

Requisite question for the thread: What's the one game you've always wanted to try but have never been able to play?

Hard Mode: No TI3
>>
Also, Pastebin because I forgot to put it in the OP.

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU
>>
File: image.jpg (492 KB, 1125x2001) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
492 KB, 1125x2001
>>43992392
You dun goofed
>>
>>43992723
Dang, thought autosage kicked in at 300 replies.
>>
Just got my copy of Dungeon Saga and holy shit there is so much stuff.
I ordered all the expacs and they sent me a few extra packs of minis I believe, and two of the extra bigger boss minis.

Just quickly flipping through the vanilla guide there were about 20+missions, one guide per expac, an additonal quest book with some more, and a hardback rulebook to create custom characters/dungeons/stories.

The tile and card quality is really nice, I just have to figure out how I'm going to store everything. I might keep all the books and guides inside the main book-shape box, and keep minis in storage containers.

So excite
>>
>>43992392
I can't wait to get War of the Ring back. I have about 50 board games that I left in a warehouse in California that I ache for every day ;_;
>>
>>43997098
Damn, sorry to hear that. I'd love to try war of the ring someday, but I don't think anyone around here owns a copy.
>>
>>43997750
Perhaps I could be you neighbor tonight, anon ;)

I can't wait to get a visa to go back and play all dem games.
>>
Info to the people that bought stuff from that big auction from BBG two threads ago.

I got a message back that he's working hard and busy with ${LIFE}, but will manage to get everything done (as I understood - for everyone) by Saturday.
>>
Just bought Magic: Arena of the Planeswalker for $17, hope it's fun
>>
File: die.jpg (116 KB, 580x849) Image search: [Google]
die.jpg
116 KB, 580x849
Looking for the Witness digital books, anyone ever seena pdf copy?
>>
>>43998489
Played a demo game at my shop last night, I was impressed. Really swingy dice, but the game is super solid. Except the terrain, which is garbage, and the sculpts, which WotC has been getting noticeably more shit at over the last few years. The mage knight minis were actually passable, for Christ's sake. These are just monochrome blobs.
Think I have to agree with the guy from last thread about not buying WotC/Mtg branded stuff on principle though, always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I cave with those guys.
>>
>>43992392
>What's the one game you've always wanted to try but have never been able to play?
Robinson Crusoe. I know, I know, coop, but still, have wanted to try it a couple of years now, and for some reason never been able to.
>>
>>43997750
War of the Ring is awesome. I can't recommend it enough.
>>
>>44000001
I've really wanted to check out R.C., seems like it's got a lot of interesting detail.
> I know, I know, coop
No one here hates co-op as a whole except steev, and he's by all appearances some kind of suffering-fueled hate engine.
>>
So i fucking love Talisman and Arkham Horror.
Is there a better Lovecraftian game than Arkham Horror? It feels lacking in some areas
>>
So /bgg/, I'm looking for some additions to our weekly game group. Currently, we are 3-4 people who regularly play the following games

>Talisman + adds
>Settlers of Catan + adds
>Lords of War (only 2v2/1v1 so far)
>Munchkin + several adds

I'm asking if anyone got some tips/advices for following games we should consider playing. Most of us are good to go with the usual fantasy setting and not to shunned about PvP, traitors and tactical stuff. Also, the games should be available in europe (preferably translated to german).

Thanks in advance everyone.
>>
>>44003194
Chaos in the Old World and Boss Monster
>>
>>44001374
Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign, and Shadows Of Brimstone are some good games to look into for Lovecraftian-themed games.

>>44003194
Kemet is a game about smacking each other around in an ancient Egypt setting.It isn't too complicated, but it is a step up from what you listed.

If you want a more traditional fantasy game, I would suggest looking into either Lost Legends or Cutthroat Caverns. The last one isn't in German, but the other two are and should be easy to grab up.
>>
>>44003501
Boss Monster is garbage trash. About the only use it has is for keeping the fire going over winter.
>>
Hm, anyone got any recommendations for something in the £10-15 price range?

Looking for a gift but i'm not sure what to go for. We already have the obvious candidates like Boss Monster, Coup, Loveletter, Gloom, too many cinderellas and a whole bunch i probably can't think of right now.
>>
I just ordered the Kingdom Death Monster box. Where can I get some high quality paint for these models?
>>
>>44003194
Coup is good, much assholery, poker face play and very fast, good for playing in between things.
>>
>>44004385
Saboteur, Mijnlieff, Dodekka
>>
>>44004642
>Not knowing anything about models.
>Buying very expensive models to start your experience on.
Buddy.
>>
>>44005285
The board game's cool as shit though.
>>
What are the main differences between Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, and Elder Sign? If you could only have one of the three, which would you recommend?
>>
>>44005294
It is, I own it myself.

Despite that, buying KDM and asking for beginner miniature advise is indications of a bad time.
>>
>>44005338
Elder Sign is significantly more dice-centric then the other 2.

Eldritch Horror is a streamlined version of Arkham Horror, although I find Eldritch to be harder.

Of the 3, I would get Eldritch if I could only have one.
>>
>>44005408
Nah I am more asking for where else I can find the best paint. I want them to look the absolute best they can, far better than all my warhammer miniatures.
>>
>>43992392
Pandemic just never bumped into a group that wants to play it.

Personally I'm a fan of The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchhausen but I only get to play it a couple times a year which makes me sad.
>>
Looking for a good euro. My group already has power grid and eclipse. So what should i get?
>Terra mystica
>Dominant species
>puerto Rico
>>
>>44006911
How many ga,es of eclipse you manage to play?
My group played it a few times but the game ran on for so long that people get upset around 3 hours. (we got 6 players including me)
>>
>>44007078
I've played about 5 games so far

It can go on a bit, our games area usually 3.5 - 4 hours but my group always sticks it out. It's not as bad as Eldritch horror which has gone over 6 hours. My problem with eclipse is how out ends though. It just kinda ends and says ok, you're done now. There's also only 8 opportunities to resolve Combat
>>
>>44007182
Yea that and the whole whoever gets plasma missiles just wins
>>
>>44006911
Of the 3 you listed, I think Puerto Rico would round out the ones already played the best, while Terra Mystica is the better game overall.

>>43992392
Of games I own, I still haven't gotten to play Star Trek: Fleet Captains, been wanting to play that for ages.

Overall, definitely Twilight Struggle since finding a person for a heavy 2 player game like that is tough.
>>
>>44007233
I'm pretty sure they get a bit nerfed in the expansion. Although one time it was pretty funny when a friend equipped his fleet with an arsenal solely of missiles, and moved his fleet into mine for the final fight at the galactic center. He fired his missiles and took out my entire fleet in one turn, save a single scout. BUT because plasma missiles only fire once at the beginning of the engagement and that's all he had, his armada just sat there helplessly while my single scout slowly but inevitably whittled them all to death. So i ended up winning with just a single scout in the end , it was hilarious
>>
So tomorrow I am playing a friend's copy of Forbidden Stars. I completely ignored its news and rules previews by ffg, and unless my wife joins us, it is looking to be two players (first game starting set up is a bit wonky, and excludes eldar and orks at two).

What am I in for?
>>
>>44007535
>still haven't gotten to play Star Trek: Fleet Captains
God, this. I don't know why getting it on the table is so damn difficult, but it is.
>>
>>44008540
Didn't that one have really crummy quality? Like flimsy map hexes or something?
>>
>>44008745
the map hexes aren't that great quality, but not enough to not get it to the table, imo.

I think the size of the box is the problem for the people I play with, since it seems like this heavy, imposing behemoth of a game on the shelf.
>>
>>44008745
WotC is a pack of cheapskate faggots on components for almost everything, but the game is really, really good in spite of that. Easily the best trek game I've ever played, and one of the best long-ish space game I've played. I don't think I'd ever pick playing it over Ti3, except with two players, but I'd still take a minute to cosnider it.
>>
>>44005671
The main hobby paint competitors (Citadel, Privateer Press, Reaper, Vallejo) are all good quality.

I will say for metals the smoothest I've ever seen are Privateer Press' paints. Beyond that it's just whatever you're looking for in terms of colors.
>>
File: 1407465368975.png (294 KB, 400x414) Image search: [Google]
1407465368975.png
294 KB, 400x414
>What's the one game you've always wanted to try but have never been able to play?

I have lots: Mage Knight, Caverna, Archipelago, Castles of Burgundy, the Star Trek deckbuilding game, the list goes on really.

I have Through the Ages and The Gallerist coming on Amazon, so that's something to look forward too, and I'm moving to a bigger city, so more chances to play games I guess.
>>
>>44003531
Shadow of Brimstone really hits that eldritch itch nicely, even if it's less "oh dear god the horror" and more "fuckin monsters arrrhggg"

It's also a very well designed dungeon crawler.
>>
>>44011645
>Through the Ages
This one game I rarely ever see talked about despite it being rated so highly. I'd be interested to hear how it plays after you get it
>>
Dead of Winter and Race for the Galaxy are set to arrive on Monday.

The former because I love betrayal games but Battlestar Galactica takes the whole damn night. The latter because I wanted something light to play between heavier games and BGG won't shut up about it.

Also considering getting Tsuro but not sure it's worth $20.
>>
>>44009179
>WotC is a pack of cheapskate faggots on components
Oh, god, this. Compared to FFG they're like kindergardeners gluing macaroni together.
>>
File: War of the Ring SPI.jpg (168 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
War of the Ring SPI.jpg
168 KB, 367x500
>>44001253
Which one?
>>
I really hope now that FFG kicked 1A games to the curb on Tide of Iron, they'll continue the Days of the Fox next wave expansion. My gut days ToI just died expecially since there's no listing on FFG products page, only the store. The original DotF expansion is the only one not easily found (and expensive) and how you get the British army. I seriously doubt they'll let 1A finish DotF next wave since their goodbye email said they're not allowed to touch ToI anymore. I think this is unprecedented for a company to lose licensing for a game during development. And angering since there are pre-orders everywhere.
>>
>>44005966
Pandemic isn't bad at all, and the add-ons make it even more challenging.

>>44006911
In no particular order:
Stone Age
7 Wonders
Five Tribes
Puerto Rico
Citadels
Castles of Burgundy
Small World
Carcassonne
>>
>>44013729
Oh my fucking god smart phones are pure cancer. Look at this Bullshit, autocorrect.
>>
>>44013729
Tide of Iron - not familiar with this one? Is it WW II? Sounds like it.
>>
File: Roll for the Galaxy.jpg (123 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Roll for the Galaxy.jpg
123 KB, 500x500
>>44013134
>Dead of Winter and Race for the Galaxy are set to arrive on Monday.
>The former because I love betrayal games but Battlestar Galactica takes the whole damn night. The latter because I wanted something light to play between heavier games and BGG won't shut up about it.

You might take a look at 'Dark Moon' (formerly "BSG Express") which is a lot of fun and plays quickly. As for Race, I'll take Roll and its new expansion over Race any day. Plays out faster, is easier to teach, and still has a lot of fun in just the base game alone.
>>
File: pic244662.jpg (626 KB, 2757x1403) Image search: [Google]
pic244662.jpg
626 KB, 2757x1403
I bought this shit when it first came out, read the manual inside and out, and never found anybody to play with.

Eleven years later i still have the set and nobody to play with.
>>
>>44013134
Get Tsuro of the Seas. It's got a little extra and you can expand it.
>>
>>44013573
Woah, shit. There are different versions?
>>
File: pic725882.jpg (581 KB, 1712x1164) Image search: [Google]
pic725882.jpg
581 KB, 1712x1164
>>44015188
The image that anon posted is from a game made in the 70s.

It's a different game then the one most people refer to when they mean War of the Ring, which has two editions that will look more like pic related if you look for it to buy/play.
>>
>>44015253
Now I'm having vivid memories of playing the Lord of the Rings co-op game.
>>
File: War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg (810 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg
810 KB, 2048x1536
>>44015188
>>44015253
Yeah, I'm talking about the old SPI version, and I *think* it's from the 80's but I could be wrong.
>>
>>44003796
>MEMES
>>
>>44011645
Twighlight imperium
>>
File: WaroftheRingMap.jpg (4 MB, 2326x2444) Image search: [Google]
WaroftheRingMap.jpg
4 MB, 2326x2444
>>44015861
Great game, needed some seriously houseruling though, or Sauron stomped your ass in five turns

Here's a copy with everything you'd need

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3lryi5vfjj3zyfd/War+of+the+Ring+1977.rar
>>
>>44015861
Technically 1977, but what's a few years to a board game anyway?

It's a decent enough game in its own right, especially considering its age. It's just not as good as the newer versions, although they feel pretty different.
>>
>>43992392
Arkham Horror.

Touhou Arkham Horror
>>
Cosmic Encounter
>>
>>44008016
A great time.

If Orks, Waagh and Green Tide.

If Eldar, wave serpents for life.

If Chaos, loads of cultists for mad discounts.

If SM, build forts each turn and then use either their deploy or strategize order to be amazing. Tanks are your friends.
>>
>>44013884
I just got Dark Moon, super excited to pull it out. Love the board too. Looking forward to playing it with the full seven to see how it goes.
>>
>>44013837
Yeah, it's a pretty good company/regiment level ww2 game. Not as autistic as ASL, not as oversimplified as Memoir.
>>
What is considered the top tier second world war board games?
I've played a lot of A&A but I kinda find a little too railroaded after 20+ playthroughs. When the 2 first hours are pretty much the same then it gets rather dull and that a single tactical error might cost you the game.
>>
File: Carcassonne BB5.jpg (205 KB, 745x600) Image search: [Google]
Carcassonne BB5.jpg
205 KB, 745x600
>>44015936
Thanks for the link! It's greatly appreciated. I have both a copy of that .rar file and at least one (if not two) physical copies of the game. My next door neighbors when I was in elementary / junior high school were college instructors and had like 5 kids. They played it and other classic board games and helped infect me with a love for them at an early age.

>>44015951
Thinking back (and looking at my copy - shows you how long its been since I've played it) you are correct. :) I haven't tried the newer versions - is there a particular new version that's well recommended?

>>44017825
My group had a great time with 4 players using Dark Moon, with 7 it'll be nuts. I saw an interesting varient where in 5 player games you could have a random number of infected in order to really ramp up the paranoia.

>>44018250
>Yeah, it's a pretty good company/regiment level ww2 game. Not as autistic as ASL, not as oversimplified as Memoir.

Sort of field stripping an M1 or lugging around your own B.A.R., few things are as realistic as ASL. 0_o - That face when being the Germans and the Ruskies are coming in waves while both the radio (for arty support) and the MG42 are down at the same time...

>>43992392

I own Carcassonne Big Box 5 and *STILL* haven't had a chance to play it. I know it's not a grand strategy game, but I still want to play it... (Sigh) Someday...
>>
>>43992392
If it's a game I own then probably OGRE Pocket Edition, due to the two player count. I've played all my other games atleast once.

If it's a game that someone I know owns, then probably Fury of Dracula 2nd Edition. Hard to get a friend's friend you're not too familiar with to lend a game to you, especially a game that they are quite protective of.

If it's a game I've only seen or know about, then probably the frequently recommended ones like Memoir 44, Cosmic Encounter, Terra Mystica, Twilight Struggle, etc. That's really just a matter of gaining enough disposable income though I suppose. I'll probably never be able to play some of the more expensive Kickstarter games like Kingdom Death or Cthulhu Wars though.
>>
>>44018857
>top tier second world war board games
There's quite a few great games out there, but from what I've read of them you'll also have to become a bit more specific about what the game should encompass: What should the scale of the game be (ie squad, compay, battalion, I don't really know the terms 2bh)? Would you prefer a specific front/theater of war? How many players should the game support? How about game mechanics, which ones are okay - card-driven, blocks, chits, mini-figures? How much time is the game allowed to take?

Anyway, have a look here https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1049/world-war-ii and sort the linked items by rank, will give a good idea I guess
>>
>>44018857
Memoir 44 is by far the most popular among boardgamers.

Axis & Allies isn't so much bad as it is far too long for it's depth, and yeah, a little railroady.

Tide of Iron is pretty good, though the IP is changing hands, making it's future uncertain.

I'm personally really into heroes of normandie, a middleweight platoon-company level game with a very satisfying semi-cinematic level of realism and detail.

There's other weird-war-2 / nazipunk stuff like DUST / DUST Tactics and Tannhauser, the latter of which is a really punchy squad-level boardgame, though it ends up being more wolfenstein and less band of brothers.
>>
File: 1388531759448.jpg (265 KB, 798x650) Image search: [Google]
1388531759448.jpg
265 KB, 798x650
>>44019423
>If it's a game I own then probably OGRE Pocket Edition

Oh man! It's such a good game. I know dem feels Anon. I don't get to play OGRE nearly often enough. I've got the original micro games from the 70's (bought'em when they were "new" - old fag is old) as well as a bunch of the add-ons and 2 (*TWO*) copies of the huge-ass Designer's Edition. I love me some Sci-Fi cybernetic Tonk on Tonk action!
>>
Splendor or Sheriff of Nottingham? Plz help, I can't decide which I should get.
>>
File: sd_board.jpg (504 KB, 1027x1439) Image search: [Google]
sd_board.jpg
504 KB, 1027x1439
Anybody in here plays solitaire board games? I'm thinking about buying something from "States of Siege" series from Victory Point Games. I'm leaning towards Soviet Dawn in particular. Not only I found a shop that sells it relatively cheaply, but also it's the one with the better looking board.

Faux Cyrillic is horrible.
>>
>>44020396
Splendor - more puzzle
Sheriff - more social

Sheriff really needs at least four to be fun. Splendor works well at any numbers as I have experienced.

Both are really good games.
>>
>>44020498
Wasn't the game added to a recent issue of c3i? I never played it but I once asked my friend who had and he said it got samey very quickly. There's not much to do, you just reveal the top card and roll dice, supposedly.
>>
>>44020637
That's the version that I can buy and it's on the bottom of that picture. Basically I can get that C3i issue with the game.

Is it really only that? I understand that solitaire games rely on luck for replayability, but from the reviews it seemed that there's some more - political planning, assigning finite reserves and reorganizing the Red Army.

I would also would like to try We Must Tell The Emperor, but so far my only option would be to order it all the way from the US.
>>
>>44020749
I have to admit, even though I love playing solo games and heard some good things about Victory Point Games, I never played any of their games. They just look too dry for my tastes.
>>
>>44020810
Oh well. Could you recommend me any solo games then?
>>
>>44020821
Gears of War, Mage Knight, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Robinson Crusoe and Marvel Legendary are all excellent solo games.
>>
Sup /bgg/ I got my friend's girlfriend for secret Santa. She loves King of Tokyo, any suggestions for other things she would like besides King of New York?
>>
>>44020881
Bang! The Dice Game.

In my opinion it fills a similar niche (push-your-luck) and I prefer it over King of Tokyo.
>>
>>43992392
>Risk
>Monopoly
Which is the worse game?
>>
>>44014374
I got the first two master sets and a couple expansions. Didn't have anyone to play until college.
>>
>>44020881
Ultimate WarriorZ has been making some waves as a possible KoT-killer, but maybe that's too similar.
>>
>>44020852
Thanks mate.

Anything with more historical flavour? I'm kinda big on history. I enjoyed playing Race to the Rhine solo, even if there's no definitive victory condition and you're just trying to finish the game as fast as you can.
>>
>>44020955
When you say history, do you mean military history or history in general?
>>
>>44020821
>>44020955
Not the same guy, but Joel Toppen's Navajo Wars has got pretty good reviews, and there's also Comancheria by him that should be coming out pretty soon.
>>
>>44020974
Military history, I would say.
>>
>>43992392
Diplomacy, face to face.

None of my friends want to do anything that time-consuming...
>>
>>44020990
In that case this: >>44020983 is a very good recommendation. You could also try some COIN games, like Cuba Libre or Andean Abyss. I've only played them with other players but the owner of those said he enjoyed the solo variant as well (coincidentally, it was the same guy I asked about Soviet Dawn).
>>
File: Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg (59 KB, 397x543) Image search: [Google]
Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg
59 KB, 397x543
>>44020498
>Anybody in here plays solitaire board games?

I own 'The Hunters - German U-Boats at War' and pic related. The latter has great A.I. for the defending forces.
>>
>>43996725
sounds good !
i am really anticipated for mine as well ... especially since it is already at home but i will return there just in 2 weeks ! damn it !
>>
>>44021059
Aren't both of those horribly horribly OOP?

Also, is "B-29 Superfortress" any good? Heard it's a successor to B-17, which receives high praise whenever I hear about it.
>>
>>44005338

Elder Sign is a lighter quicker game that uses a lot of dice.
Eldritch is the new improved Arkham.
Arkham is the classic grand Cthulu adventure game.

I would recommend none of them, but Eldritch is probably the best if I have to choose.
>>
>>44020990
Oooh, I just remembered something. Less of a wargame but the whole ".. Leader" series plays solo only while nicely showing specific conflicts. I only played the Phantom Leader, which focuses on the Vietnam War but there were several other games in that vein, and Thunderbolt Leader is the highest rated of them on bgg. You should definitely give those a look.
>>
>>44020171
Wow, old fag is old indeed. Hope you get more plays out of them, I might be able to persuade 1 or 2 friends into playing it thanks to Heavy Object currently playing. It's nice that constructing scenarios is pretty easy too, plus the option for a 3 player game being available.
>>
>>44020955
>>44020990
Oh there's also Fields of Fire, WWII solo game. And for some more modern flavor, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?

Also more GMT COIN games that >>44021042 mentioned are coming out pretty soon, namely Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar and Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection. Then later in 2016 there's also Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62
>>
>>43992392
Went to Dragonmeet yesterday, a good time was had

Halfling Feast plays really well
I'll be buying Hobbit Tales from the Green Dragon

Thunderbirds looks like it could be a good pandemic style game.

>game I want to play:
>Civilisation
>>
>>44019576
Thanks for the link! I was thinking of top tier games/good games with a world war 2 theme. Were you just rank them based on common mechanics. Like the best card-driven game and dice-driven game, etc. At least those worth mentioning.
>>44019576
Oh, I didnt intend to give the impression that A&A is bad. I find it awesome or else I wouldnt have sunk 100+ hours into the game, but just meant to say that one of its main weaknesses is that it's pretty railroaded.
>>
>>44021017
Take a look at subterfuge, it's damn good substitute in mobile app form.
>>
>>44021425
Think you meant to link the second part of your post to >>44020027 !

Anyway, they do have a mechanic-specific dropdown thing in that linked items list as well, if you really want to get specific with the games.

Also I'll go right ahead and shill Triumph&Tragedy as well. 3-player grand strategy block wargame, clocks in at about 4-6 hours and just real fun all around. No mounted mapboard unfortunately, but that didn't bother us too much!
>>
>>44021615
Yeah, linked wrong.
3-player grand strategy sounds pretty good since we're 90% of the time only 3 guys. I think you just showed me a christmas present Im gonna have to buy!

Though my dream ww2 game would be something that's:
-So immersive that you start swearing in German when you lose a battle.
-Able to command battles and win because of tactical superiority and not just doomstack vs dommstack and hope you win because you have a bigger army.
-outmaneuvering your enemy and encircling their armies while having to think about logistics.
Having to research technology to improve your logistics, units, etc.
-Politics and asymmetrical nations.
-several scenarios
-playtime 6-8 hours
- 2 to 6 players
>>
File: COMPLETELY FINE.png (135 KB, 360x243) Image search: [Google]
COMPLETELY FINE.png
135 KB, 360x243
>>44021439
I have a Nokia...
>>
>>44021864
Oh.
Maybe threaten to bludgeon your friends to death with it if they don't play with you?
>>
>>44020922
Monopoly. Risk might actually end after two hours.
>>44021320
Thunderbirds is basically Pandemic: Gerry Anderson Edition.
>>
>>44020922
Risk, anyone who says monopoly has never actually played a real game of monopoly
>>
>>44021093
'The Hunters' is still in print. The other one, 'Raid on St. Nazaire' is OOP, but comes up on Ebay for reasonable prices from time to time. I got a mint copy, unpunched, for a reasonable price.
>>
>>44020922
eh...if we're going by their classic or first editions, I'd say Risk. If we're going by modern versions I'd definitely say Monopoly as there are now several versions of Risk that are actually pretty ok.
>>
>>44025525
I played Monopoly with a "speed dice" a few months ago. Not sure it moved things along much, but it was novel.
>>
>>44020922
Friends don't let friends suffer Monopoly.

Atleast there's a couple of decent Risk editions.
>>
>>44008016
The start up set up is horrible, go for advanced set up (normal).
>>
>>44006911
Blood Rage, TIME Stories, Neuroshima Hex, Stone Age, Archipelago.
>>
>>44003194
>Talisman + adds
>Settlers of Catan + adds
>Munchkin + several adds
Anything aside from Monopoly would be an improvement. Dude if you're german just check your local friendly game store or something, or who ever vistited Spiel Essen or what not..

PS. Check out Gloomhaven. The component quality looks a bit iffy but the ideas behind it looks very interesting and it seems far beter mechanicly as a campaign then Descent and its likes ever did (PS. don't think the game is out yet though).
>>
>>44001374
Eldritch Horror and A Study in Emerald. But if you just want some quick deck-building Cthulhu fun check out Cthulhu Realms.
>>
Let's create the worst board game imaginable. I'll start

>Roll and move
>>
>>43992392
I've recently been browsing ever boardgame forum ever to find some information on Dungeons and Dragons. I've never played the game and I don't know at all where to start or what to buy. Any tips for a newbie?
>>
>>44028800
Sounds like talisman

>>44028892
Dungeons and dragons boardgame or the RPG system?
>>
>>44028944
The boardgame
>>
>>44028892
D&D has a few board games (and the so called RPG is pretty much a board game as well). Check out Wizards of the Coast, the "RPG" has a recent 5th edition that you might want to look into.

The actual marketed as board games for D&D are pretty lackluster and I can't really recommend them.
>>
>>44014374
A friend of mine had the same problem! But he brought it over for a game night one time (all three gigantic boxes of it) and we tried it and it was fucking great. Now we play it from time to time, it's just hard to transport it because it's so damn huge.

We haven't played any of the prebuilt missions or maps though. We always spend about an hour building a map all over the table and drafting armies with point buy. Man, now I want to play it again.

Seems like it's passed the test of time is what I'm saying. You should ask around at your LGS or something, I'm sure there'll be some people who want to play.
>>
File: ssssamus.png (23 KB, 598x165) Image search: [Google]
ssssamus.png
23 KB, 598x165
>>44028800
>Roll 6d6 at the start of your turn
>add the even numbered results, subtract the odd numbered ones, multiply the sum by the largest number of dice that showed the same result
>consult a table to find out what happens
>possibilities include: lose a turn; lose 2 turns; lose some points and roll again; randomly reposition everybody's pieces; randomly reassign everyone's points
>first person to the goal doesn't win, but gets a massive advantage that makes the other players basically useless
>the game goes on for another eighty rounds
>every space has a random encounter effect
>the ones that don't make you skip a turn have you draw from a deck of cards to find out your fate
>each card has six paragraphs of flavor text with the action you need to find buried randomly in the middle somewhere so you have to read it all
>the effects all take ten minutes to resolve
>at any moment another player could play a card that negates your whole turn
>>
>>44020881 Here

What do you guys think of Splendor as a gift idea, anyone play it?
>>
>>44001374
Cthulhu Wars. Google it.
>>
>>44029665
And the rulebook is two pages of tiny text that was obviously written by a bad chinese translator.
>>
>>44029961
No rulebook, just a VHS of a man with no charisma and no rehearsal trying to explain the rules with no preparation whatsoever. There is almost no video editing whatsoever. He pauses frequently to read from an actual rulebook which has nice illustrations and examples, but the text is too blurry to read.
Game does not know when to end, but statistically will not end 95% of the time when it could. Has like 10000 small spherical pieces which all mostly look the same and roll around all the goddamn time, but is critical in both which ones you place, where you place them, and not losing them entirely.
>>
>>44029688
Fairly easy to learn but still has depth. It's a standard 'Euro' game (i.e. no player elimination) and is well liked. I already own it, but it's the sort of game that would make a good gift for someone into board gaming.
>>
>>44029665
Arkham Horror: Second Edition
-Published by Steve Jackson games
>>
>>43992392
What are the best fantasy RPGs you have played, and which edition? I'm trying to get a group of novice-intermediate players together to start a campaign, but I don't know which system to go with.

D&D E5 is the obvious choice for the uninitiated as it is the most recent edition of the (arguably) the most popular rpg. However, i've heard a lot of good things about RuneQuest, but no mention of which edition was best.
>>
>>44030148
>10,000 small spherical pieces
Oh, you.

>all the cards, board, and pieces use symbols instead of keywords or rules, so you need to cross-reference the manual every turn
>the box is twice the size it needs to be, and has no dividers or card boxes or anything so it all just rattles around in there loose
>some of the words in the manual are still in chinese
>the board is made up of six smaller boards that don't lock together in any way
>the art is pixellated from being made too large

>>44030209
Gosh I hate Arkham Horror. How could something so beautiful be so infuriatingly boring? The best part of the game is learning how the character sheets work.
>>
So, I have a board game etiquette question, or more of a FLGS behavior question.

When I'm out at a board game night, I often like to walk around and see what other groups and people are playing, sometimes stopping to watch them play or check out the board state for a bit. I try not interrupt them and stay quiet, but often end up having to look over someone's shoulder as well. Of course if someone looks or says something, I'll say Hi and explain.

So, is this rude behavior? Would you be annoyed if someone walked by and suddenly started peering over your shoulder silently? I'm sure opinions vary, but I try not to be 'that guy' and don't often see other players do this either. Or should I just end myself now for my unknowing social ineptitude and autistic-that-guy behavior?
>>
>>44032324
Just silently approaching and watching can be a little awkward, just defuse that with a "Hey, what game is this?" or a "Hey, is this X?", the latter preferably scouted off of the hopefully nearby game box, don't ask if it's X if you don't know what it is already.

I'm going to kill the kid who asks every single week if we're playing Yu-Gi-Oh on Netrunner night. Just smash his trachea with a hammer and watch.
>>
>>44032324
I can only speak for myself, but, I both do and see this behavior a lot at my larger group meetings, and for myself at least I find that the only people bothered by that behavior are the people doing it. I get the same instinctual oh-no-I'm-not-a-creeper gut response when noticed while peeping, but have never had anyone ever have a negative response to noticing me, and when I'm the one playing and people come peering I personally feel a tiny bit... proud, even? It's like, something I'm playing is so damn cool it's bringing the attention of onlookers, and that's a good feeling, at least for me. I know when I play Cthulhu Wars at these meetings there tend to be more onlookers than players, especially towards the end of the game when all the big guys have come out and emotions are high, and it's an amazing spectacle.

Like I said, I can only speak for myself, but I feel like if I'm in public then it's completely hypocritical to expect privacy, so put it all on display and evangelize whenever given a shot.
>>
>>44030148
>Has like 10000 small spherical pieces
Fucking Exodus: Proxima Centauri first edition, I have no idea how they made enough money to release a second.
>>
>>44032324
A group at my flgs was playing some space game with ships and they were on teams trying to see if they had the fuel to get from A to B. This was all before I was a regular, but I sat down next to one of the guys in an empty seat and asked "hey guys this looks cool, mind if I watch?".
One dude said "absolutely, sure!" Or something along those lines.
They continued about the game and I watched them while interrupting them no more until the rest of the Force of Will people arrived.
Just be polite and don't bother them once you have permission and you'll be fine.
>>
>>44032324
While we weren't playing board games, the last time we had a stranger show interest in something we were playing, they asked multiple questions like "is it fun?", "where did you buy this?", or "how much is it?". It was incredibly irritating, so don't do that. Personally I'd be okay if the person watched from afar, keeping a chair or two distance away and kept to themselves. It's much easier to get distracted from board games than video games after all, if the person gets much too close for comfort, I'd start considering options on how to escape getting robbed and not focus on the game.
>>
For those of you who strongly dislike Arkham Horror, do you think Eldritch Horror improved on those weaknesses?
>>
>>44014374
Man, I miss the universe more than the game itself. I too never had anyone to play with so I did a lot of reading on the universe. It was just begging for a comic or a cartoon. All the different characters and worlds....

This needs a reboot or something. Maybe a card game instead of a miniatures game? An RPG? A comic or something?

Is there an online version of this game so all we people who never had people to play with could play together?
>>
File: IMG_20151207_010006.jpg (153 KB, 960x432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151207_010006.jpg
153 KB, 960x432
>>44035336
Here's your "reboot".
It's dead man. Do what the rest of us do.
Buy old sets secondhand, play AotP, or make some heroscape-related media for us all
>>
>>44035473
I know it's dead, but I don't want such a cool setting to disapear entirely. Also, aren't secondhand sets insanely expensive? And has anyone else made any Heroscape media?
>>
>>44035539
Some secondhand sets are slightly inflated from the normal price, but most are quite up there, especially the short-lived later life stuff before WotC took over and released the DnD stuff. This is coming from someone that bought everything released for that game.

I wish the setting would be used, too. But I don't think you're finding anything outside of some scraps of fanart or fanfiction.
>>
>>44035182
yes but not enough to care
>>
>>44003501
>>44003531
>>44004644
Thanks, I'll check those out when I get the chance for it.

>>44028567
Well, my group assembled a few weeks ago when I actually dragged them to the SPIEL in Essen. I tried some games with them there, but most of them were really unexperienced with board games and I let them pick games they liked there. Since then we haven't much improved. But they grow and learn to enjoy heavier boardgames after all I guess.

Also, going to check out Gloomhaven, thanks for the tip.
>>
I desperately want to play Ogre designer edition or even pocket. Designer is just too expensive and pocket is a bit lower quality than I'd wish. I also want splendor but keep having other games take priority. Kinda like Mage knight. I almost got it but just enough about it put me off to wait til after descent and summoner wars.
>>
So during the weekend I finally played Kemet with my girlfriend. Oh god buying this game was such a good choice - it's awesome even in a 1v1 setting - the only thing I didn't like was not having dedicated maps for 2 players.

"Unused" areas trigger my autism.

Gonna play it today with the girlfriend and my roommate but can't wait to play it in a larger setting.

The expansion seems nice - at least the black pyramid module and the dawn phase. Not so sure about everything else.
>>
Anybody who was waiting on that BGG auction from Hawaii, he's got everything packed and ready, shipping estimates are going out. Now the long wait for island mail begins...
>>
File: ah 01.jpg (389 KB, 1600x1197) Image search: [Google]
ah 01.jpg
389 KB, 1600x1197
I recently played HeroQuest with my gaming group. Almost finished the basic quest. Bought a NM copy of HQ and Advanced HeroQuest some years ago. My group wants me to run the HQ expansions that I have (Return of the Lich King and Keller's Keep) but I would prefer to switch to AHQ.
>>
File: space crusade.jpg (493 KB, 1600x1136) Image search: [Google]
space crusade.jpg
493 KB, 1600x1136
Also would love to play Space Crusade after AHQ.
>>
>>44038020
>tfw shipping for mine are over $100
>tfw after everything is said and done, I'm only saving 30 bucks compared to me buying this shit off amazon right now
>>
>>44038238

I made a better deal of SC:BW. Even with shipping it's half as cheep as the next best deal on amazon.

But yeah next time I'm only observing the european auctions on BGG.
>>
>>44038238

Yeesh. Was following this along, expected as much but didn't want to be the one to say it.
>>
File: Nephilim_RPG_Front_Cover.jpg (145 KB, 600x773) Image search: [Google]
Nephilim_RPG_Front_Cover.jpg
145 KB, 600x773
>>43992392
I always wanted to try the Nephilim rpg. Had a friend who had it but never got a chance to play with his crew. That was like back in 1994... The imagery looked pretty cool.
>>
>>44038330
>>44038238
>i could get kingsburg here for this much and pay out my nose for shipping
>or i could get it from amazon and pay less
I was under the impression that everyone in that thread was HI, because the games aren't all that much cheaper paying island shipping.
>>
>>44038273
>>44038330
>>44038378
Yep.
I'm debating heavily if 30 bucks savings is even worth all this trouble but I'm worried my account will get in trouble if I back out for not knowing any better.
Why would I go through all this trouble to save 30 dollars?
No wonder so many people say "CONUS only" in their for sale stuff.
>>
>>44038416

People bail on kickstarter a because jacked up shipping fees.

True, you could have done more research, but he could have also made a point to say shipping will be crazy high.

Selling board games over the net is a bitch anyways. Shipping costs take quite a chunk out of your profits.
>>
>>44038458

Meant to add that I would just bail. Ask an admin for his thoughts on it, but cutting something loose because of suprise fees of this magnitude is hardly asshole behavior.
>>
>>44038416

30 bucks is 30 bucks, man. You can get another game for that.

I probably wouldn't bail but then again I'm obsessed about the game, don't know how would I feel if I weren't so committed.
>>
Anyone backing Endure the stars? 2 hours left, and while I like the art and minis I don't know if I need another descent esque game. Bought sedition wars to use the minis in an RPG and bases in infinity, but I guess I technically have that game too so yeah.
>>
>>44038672
Thing flew under my radar.
Art looks fantastic, but no way can I spend that much on a full co-op.
And omega protocol doesn't get enough play as-is.
Still, very sexy.
>>
>>44038458
>>44038469
I'm not sure what I'll do yet.
Had I known I'd be waiting an entire week and still not even have a paypal address to send money to, and had I known how much more expensive shipping rates are (as in WAY more than I anticipated), then there's no way I'd put myself in this position of all this trouble and waiting for so little savings.

>>44038553
I'm in the boat of "these are all mostly impulse buys and were only bidded on because of dank savings" so it's mostly a moral conflict and potential account trouble vs all this trouble and meager savings on games I mostly don't even need
>>
>>44038937

>See omega protocol
>glorious coop military clean up crew vs some xenos
>XCOM (classic, not that lame board game) flashbacks
>*shlick shlick shlick*
>then I see the price

Why the hell is it so expensive. I've seen pics of the box contents. Nothing justifies that crazy price tag.
>>
>>44039190
Privateer press, yo.
They think they're games workshop 2.0
Also the minis are this annoying (if durable) soft plastic that I had to spend a half hour heating and cooling to get the bases to stay flat an un-warped.
But the game is fantastic and extremely X-COM.
>>
>>44038672
>Endure The Stars
Oh my god, it's just Pandorum in boardgame form...
>>
>>44039454

>PP plastic

I play warmahordes, say no more. Their plastic is shit teir. Don't even think it's plastic but PVC. Absolute nightmare if you care about removing flash.

I guess after assembling sedition wars though, having you're minis assemble easily goes a long way to alleviating the rage. Had to hot water/cold water that stuff

Also need to do the water treatment to my rise of the kage game. Just don't feel like messing with it until greenbrier fixes the rulebook.
>>
>>44039494

I kept looking at it, saw an early bird pledge open up so I got it. It's like they knew I was watching it.
>>
>>44039168
>>44038469

Ok this may be a stupid question but after the auction is confirmed on the geekmarket I transfer the stuff to the guys paypal account? What I mean is - there's no interface to do the transaction there directly?
>>
>>44039532
If I didn't have a new heroes of normandie kickstarter to compulsively back, a pile of metal coins to buy as component upgrades for various games, and christmas stuffs to buy, I might break my no co-ops rule for that sexy grungy SciFi art.

>>44039556
Yeah, unless he'd asked for a different payment method. Those auctions are basically just forum threads, no internal automation.
>>
>>44039556

I've no idea. When I see something I want I PM to get a better price then I PayPal. I think I bought from a storefront a while back. Add to cart, check out, tah da.

I'd guess once the auction is over he gives you his PayPal and you send the money
>>
>>44039570

Ok, thanks mayne!
>>
>>44039570

>metal coins

Totally want to get some and find some tiny treasure chests to use with rum and bones. Got a kickstart copy in last weekend, really enjoyed playing it.

>Coop

Mind splainin' why you're not a fan of coop? I know a guy like that, and it always just came off as antisocial behavior to me, but that's just because I only know one guy and he REALLY hates coop games.
>>
>>44039606
I'm a little antisocial with people I don't know, but my distaste for co-op's has more to do with really enjoying competition and schadenfreude. Probably a big part of why I'm so heavily biased towards ameritrashy shit over commodity-trading-in-the-mediterranean, if I'm inviting friends over for an evening of gaming, we generally want to be spending it cursing each other's mothers while kicking each other's teeth in. Just playing against board systems never feels quite as satisfying.
>>
>>44039606
Oh, and if you're looking at coins and chests, I think Fantasy Coin LLC do the best stuff for your money. Not QUITE the cheapest, but a lot of their designs are really nice, and the coins are REALLY chunky.
>>
>>44039648

> Posting in the traditional gaming section of a commodity trading in the mediterranean forum
> Not wanting to play commodity-trading-in-the-mediterranean game

Jesus, step it up.
>>
>>44039679
He has a point.
In my experience, co-op games has always been
>player wants to do X
>everyone agrees
or
>player wants to do X
>someone disagrees and then debate until resolution happens
OH BOY SO FUN
>>
>>44039772
That is my idea of fun.

But I prefer co-optional games like Diplomacy.
>>
>>44039606
>Rum and Bones
Was a lot more excited about this before I found out it was essentially a 1v1 game.
What are some good semi-tactical team games that aren't just better 1v1?

>>44039772
Or the most experienced player just overrides everyones ideas with the optimal move continuously until you duct-tape his mouth shut, and then he's not enjoying the game either.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-23-10-31-19.png (671 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-23-10-31-19.png
671 KB, 1080x1920
>>44039788
>Diplomacy
We really need to run a /bgg/ game of subterfuge.
>>
File: sadheathen.jpg (71 KB, 203x211) Image search: [Google]
sadheathen.jpg
71 KB, 203x211
>>44039845
Y-yeah, sure, you guys go ahead...
>>
>>44039772

I only played Pandemic and Ghost Stories but in my experience it goes more like:

> player wants to do X, Y or Z
> everybody exchanges ideas which on is better
> somebody proposes V
> we're doing V
> 10 rounds later we have our shit pushed in by the game

Well the last until you learn what's the optimal strategy. We still haven't found one for Ghost Stories but Pandemic is more or less solved.
>>
>>44039772

That makes sense. I just seem to run into a lot people who don't like losing, so coop games where we all lose or we all win tend to work out. I also don't mind playing games where everyone brings different skills to the table to accomplish whatever goal.

>>44039795
I'm going to have to do some more research with it. Did one test game with my 12 year old nephew, missed a few rules and all that. I do remember someone somewhere mentioning rules for playing with more people. When I learn more I'll post it in one of these threads.
>>
>>44039648

It's why I like Space Alert. Nobody knows what the fuck anyone is doing and you'll probably lose if you think too long about it and then someone ends up trying to recharge the main guns but ends up recharging the engine room which accidentally does end up helping as someone accidentally sent power to shields.
>>
>>44040110

Have that game, need to schedule a play through at one of my house parties soon. I've yet to give it a try but the idea sounds like a blast
>>
>>44040110
Totally valid, and I totally agree - but Space Cadets: Dice Duel does so much of the same (if not quite as well) while also being PvP.
Or there's always Artemis over in /v/ territory.

Makes me wonder if I could rig up a pvp Space Alert with two sets.
>>
>>44013729
Wait...1A lost the license to FFG after buying it from them? WTF?
>>
>>44040150

Don't ever try and play it with the timer off or "pause" the game so people can think and adjust their actions. Just go straight in to the deep end and let the chaos run free. If you lose, you lose but watch as you all lose horribly or barely survive.
>>
>>44040223

The mere prospect of playing the blame game and shit talking each other after losing multiple times makes me moist
>>
>>44040179

Personally I'm not really one for most dice battlan games(prefer card battlan but not saying I won't play dice battlan games) but if it scratches the spot then sure.
>>
>>44040298
Agreed, but the dice aren't as big a deal as they sound. Lucky rolls happen, but dice duels is a lot more about how quickly each team can re-analyze the board state as things change and quickly reroll and redistribute dice. A lucky roll tends to save you a little time, but there's so many dice being chucked so fast that it evens out pretty quickly.
>>
What are peoples thoughts on 7 Wonders: Duel?
>>
>>44040396

Solid 7 wonders variant for 2 players which the original game wasn't really good for.
>>
File: grey-mailing-bags.jpg (36 KB, 805x768) Image search: [Google]
grey-mailing-bags.jpg
36 KB, 805x768
>selling board games for extra Christmas cash
>somebody wants two of the games I'm selling
>I should probably put them in one cardboard box, to save postage
>no such boxes in the house
>go down to my local post office
>take a look at the boxes they have, trying to remember what size the games are
>guy who works there starts telling me how expensive sending things in boxes is
>sells me a huge plastic wallet (pic related) instead

Did I get suckered in? The wallet is made of pretty durable plastic, but a) it's way too big and b) I've never heard of anybody sending board games in one of these things before. I do want to save money, but I'm worried that it might get dinged up in transit, no matter how much bubble wrap I shove in there.
>>
File: 1439087210016.png (329 KB, 816x536) Image search: [Google]
1439087210016.png
329 KB, 816x536
>>44040878
How big is the board game and where are you shipping to and from?
>>
>>44040878
Unless you smother them in motherfucking bubble-wrap your buyer is going to have a bad time.

Nobody and I mean nobody gives a shit what you are sending. Assume it's going to get kicked, thrown and sit on even if you write "LIVE BABIES INSIDE" the moment you leave your eyes of it.

Buy cardboard, cushion everything with newspapers and wrap the game in bubble wrap beforehand and you'll be the best seller ever. If you didn't add the costs of that into your transaction doofus.
>>
>>44040878
Well, sending things in boxes *is* fucking expensive.
>>
>>44040878

You're just asking for a bad day sending what amounts to a fragile container in pillow sack.

You can use your own boxes. When I send minis off in the mail, I make shitty boxes cut from bigger boxes, and coat the thing in duct tape and crap bedding foam inside it. I make a game out of it, how ugly can I make the box.

Only to have people praise me for putting extra effort into making sure nothing breaks or gets damaged en route.
>>
>>44040936
>How big is the board game
It's two games; 20th Century (3-hour euro in a town where everybody them some quick, thematic stuff) and Palazzo (I already own Alhambra). With one stacked on top, it's about 34x24x14, weighing a little under 1.8kg.
>where are you shipping to and from?
It's going from Birmingham (UK, not Alabama) to York (regular York, not the new one) which is about 120 miles away.
>>44040968
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'll probably go back tomorrow and get a box (I think Royal Mail would class them together as a small parcel
>>44040970
True, but I don't want them to get damaged.
>>44041143
We have literally no cardboard boxes in the house, aside from fucking cereal boxes, and they still contain actual cereal. Every time I try and save a large box in the hopes of re-using it later on, the people I live with will start whining about how much space they're taking up and throw them in the recycling.
>>
>>44041187

Dumpster divin' time homie

(Or just ask like any store anywhere for some)
>>
What's everyones favorite compact boardgames? My group Really likes
>resistance
>hanabi
>Citadels
>love letter

Citadels is a lot of cutthroat fun in a small package, one of our most played games
>>
>>44038553
I went in expecting anywhere from $50 to $100 shipping and a few weeks wait, but I scored enough stuff that $86 shipping still means I saved like $50%. And not only were most of them games that never go on sale, one (WoW boardgame) is out of print. I'd call it a win.
>>
File: 122303-120742.jpg (53 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
122303-120742.jpg
53 KB, 500x647
>>44041187
>mfw I explain the situation to the people I live with, but they just go "Don't worry about it, it'll be fine with the wallet. Here, let me do it for you, I insist!"

I wish I weren't so fucking beta...
>>
>>44040179
I had that exact same thought. I think it would be glorious, but I'm the only person with a copy of space alert.
>>
>>44039845
This thing, what is it?
>>
>>44039772
That's why I prefer timed coops. Space Alert has already been mentioned, but XCOM the board game does a great job keeping things tense. I feel like I'm missing another good one, but I can't think of what it is.
>>
>>44041970
Subterfuge, a long-form slow-play RTS on ye smertfones, very similar to diplomacy, or more directly, Neptune's Pride, though I like it a lot better than NP. Games last about 1-2 weeks.
>>
>>44042035
Huh. Neat. Just downloaded

I'll make a /bgg/ game lets get this rolling.
>>
>>44042365
They make you pay for private game hosting.
I'll get one up, just a min.
>>
So I will be playing risk 2210 later today, anything crazy new I should know? Ive played base risk since i was a kid, but apparently this has alot more to it.
>>
>>44042398
You should've gotten Legacy.
>>
>>44042365
Game up.
Come one, come all, gank the tripfag until he cries.

http://subterfuge-game.com/play.php?25065-36d4cb110dc0c3e5bd638187bb386026
>>
Why is Kemet so fucking expensive?
>>
>>44042557
Sexy little minis.
And one of the best-looking inserts ever.
Yeah, I think it's overpriced too, but I have trouble complaining when the game is so good.
>>
>>44042557

How much is it? I bought the UK version for a fuck-a-ton then noticed that there's a Polish version too for half the price ($38.12).

Since there's no in game text that's not a problem. Ever since I noticed that some games don't have in game text and have cheap ass Polish versions I'm a happier person.
>>
>>44042398
Depending on what you like about Risk, you are in for one hell of a ride.

Basic changes
New Territories: in addition to the 6 inhabitable continents, there are now Undersea conglomerates, and the Moon. You require commanders of the right type to invade either of them.

Commanders: you can now buy Commanders, units that provide one or more of the following three benefits:
1. Higher Die in combat. (A land commander fighting on land rolls a d10 instead of a d6.)
2. Ability to invade appropriate terrain types (Space Commander and Sea Commander, though you also need to launch from Bases to get to Space.)
3. Ability to buy cards.

Cards:
Each commander provides access to card decks that you can buy from, and use to varying effects. Diplomat cards, for instance, can prevent enemy attacks. Land cards might give you a sudden infusion of more units. Nuclear Cards will wreck your opponents' and sometimes your own, face.

Bases: this structure makes it harder for your units to be beaten in the territory, and, with a Space Commander, allows you to invade the Moon.

It makes it a much less "Make one wall of dudes, wrecking ball through everything" style of game. I once used so many nuclear cards in one turn I reduced an enemy army of 40 units to 3.

Whether this violates the spirit of Risk, or its "tactical nature" was hotly contested for several weeks afterward.

Oh, one other change: 3 territories, drawn at random, are nuked at the start of the game, making them impossible to invade or hold. This can vastly change the feasibility of holding specific continents. (and can make Australia into the world's least enjoyable fortress)
>>
>>44042534
You cancelled the game :(
>>
>>44043489
Totally didn't. Try restarting the app.
>>
>>44043489
That was me, I realized STEEV had one. Join the one he linked.
>>
So what's the deal with this subterfuge thing?
>>
>>44030232
D&D is a horrible starting example for a new group, unless they really want to play D&D and niot just an RPG. Don't go with anything that's about class and level progression (D&D/d20). Instead do try out systems like BRP, Fate, Fudge, ORE, Savage Worlds and their many different games.

A Call of Cthulhu session is never a bad thing.
>>
>>44040396
Only heard/read good things about it.
>>
>>44041379
Look up "String Railways."
>>
>>44042398
The cards aren't worth it unless you plan from the beginning on holding a gank of nuclear cards.
>>
for anyone that has it how is arcadia quest? there's a kickstarter for the sequel going and i'm thinking of going in for one, but 100 is pricey for a game imo. does it have staying power or will i be paying 100 to play 2-3 times [has happened before sadly].
>>
File: Anti-Monopoly.jpg (164 KB, 747x596) Image search: [Google]
Anti-Monopoly.jpg
164 KB, 747x596
so how is this game?
>>
>>44049192
Redundant, considering Monopoly itself does well enough in shining the sodium light on capitalism.
>>
>>44048656

It's got a campaign you run through, but you can easily just skirmish. There's a shit ton of heroes to choose from m, as well as equipment, so you'll stay busy for awhile.

Inferno looks like it's packed with even more stuff.
>>
What is everyone's favorite dungeon delver boardgame?
>>
>>44050047
Mansions of Madness.
>>
>>44050047
DungeonQuest
>>
>>44050184

Seconding based Dungeonquest

>Roll dorf
>all the health
>shit agility
>first turn pull a bottomless hole
>dead

That game is so stupidly brutal. I tell everyone if they can get a piece of dragon treasure and get out I'll let them sign my board/box/whatever. Well currently have 0 signatures and maybe 15 play throughs.
>>
File: Twilight-imperium-layout_12.jpg (78 KB, 600x299) Image search: [Google]
Twilight-imperium-layout_12.jpg
78 KB, 600x299
>>43992392
So I'm going to buy pic related with both expansions.
What should I do for a first game? Play the base game with only the additional races and tiles to make it more accessible to new players? Or should I use all of the new features from the expansions?
>>
>>44051063
Base game, no optional rules except the one where all the goals are revealed from the start, use Imperial I then put it away and never look at it again.
>>
After spending a good bit of time at the attempt, I've come to the conclustion that you guys doing the foamcore inserts are simply insane.

The time it takes to cut all the crap out simply does not justify the end result to me. I will say I might have been using the wrong stuff (3/16" foam board, looked like what everyone else had, but yeah, miserable experience. I'm sticking with cutting foam, or if I really like the game (like thunderstone), I'll make a special wooden case.
>>
>>44051659
>Trickerion nearly arrived
>all dose compones
I'm gonna need to figure out how to make inserts of some kind. Might wind up just using posterboard.
>>
>>44004642
Vallejo. Watch tutorials on every model you are going to paint.
>>
>>44014374

Heroscope has been out of production for years now and some of those master sets are selling for a few hundred dollars on reseller sites.
>>
>>44051063
>>44051195
This anon is right about 'Imperium I' strategy card. It slows the game terribly.

in fact, it think all the alternative strategy cards are better, specifically 'Diplomacy II'
>>
I find myself lucky enough to have found a group of friends to play board games with in a new town after leaving my old group.

Unfortunately, none of them seem to have a taste for long games like my old group did. If the game takes more than an hour and a half, they start to fade. And these happen to be some of my favorites, and most of the time when I'm shopping for new games to try these are the sorts of games I gravitate towards.

I dunno, I felt a bit like blog posting since I just picked up Forbidden Stars but I have no idea if I'll be able to rope enough people into playing a full game or not since from what I hear it plays long the first few times while people learn the rules.

They're game enough to try anything I put to them, but getting them to play these games more than once can be a chore.
>>
For the last couple of nights my family and I have been enjoying Pandemic a lot, what other similar games do you guys recommend?
>>
>>44038672
I was so very tempted to go for this as I like co-op and the style of it all seems great. I really wanted to see the example minis they said they would have to show before the kickstarter ended, but never appeared.

The thing that put me off, was the combat. It just seemed to simplistic. When you consider all the enemies, classes and that shooting things is what you spend your time doing, "roll some dice, it dies or lives" didn't seem interesting enough. There just doesn't seem to be enough depth there. I'm also following STEEV's advice and holding out for SW: Rebellion which will no doubt cost a fortune.
>>
>>44050047
Gears of War
>>
>>44040396
I've been playing that shit with my cousin over the last month and I'm loving it. It's simple and quick so she wants to play it with me and strategic enough that I win most of the time.
>>
File: pic1991004_lg.jpg (228 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
pic1991004_lg.jpg
228 KB, 1024x683
This shit pisses me off to no end right here
>buy splendor today
>open box
>see this

This is literally all that's in there, minus the plastic insert and rulebook. Why the FUCK do some makers make the box 500% bigger than necessary??
>>
>>44054709

Not being a publisher I have no idea but I can guess:

1. Room for expansions
2. Lower manufacturing costs due to to universal cardboard cutout/box size
3. Better product visibility

There might be other reasons.

Just because you and I don't understand something that doesn't mean there isn't a reason behind it. People who do this for a living a pretty much guaranteed to have bigger knowledge than us.
>>
>>44054851
>1 Room for expansions
Splendor Is literally too fucking compact an idea, and too balanced, to have expansions for
>2. Lower manufacturing costs due to to universal cardboard cutout/box size
Maybe But its not really a standard size compared to other boxes i have
>3. Better product visibility
Oh bull shit, There are games with the same fucking content that don't take up assloads of space for no reason
Fucking love letter takes up the same space and Its only 20 some odd cards, and tokens, and its package is a red felt bag
>>
>>44054886

I can only congratulate you that you're smarter than the publisher in publishing the game. Pat yourself on the back and carry on.
>>
>>44054901
Publishers make blunders too, you know.
>>
>>44055184

Of course. But it's the definition of being an arm-chair expert when you try to second guess people in the business who made a somewhat successful game.

Could it be better? Maybe.

Do people who have no idea about printing, technological processes, logistics, problems with transportation, promotion, and game design have what it's needed it tell?

Hell, for all I know people that love those kind of games might love a lot of empty space in their game boxes and having a tight box might lose them cash.

Not everything is possible to reason out without having domain knowledge. To think so is sheer hubris. Adding on to that some knowledge is hard to articulate - we see it as "traditions" or "intuitions" but they are no less valuable.

tl;dr - ask people with the know and not the board gaming thread in a Roman Legion Tactics Mail Ring or stop trying to second guess people that make board games for a living.
>>
>>44055297
>Roman Legion Tactics Mail Ring
Don't you mean a Medicine Man smoke signal club about spirit journey's?

look marking shlubs rarely use any knowledge, they just had surplus fucking boxes of that dimension and it was easier to print of the plastic crap and sell it, than throw away the cardboard
>>
>>44040396
I was a bit dubious but it's freaking great, it's pretty close to the original but with nice tweeks add to it, insta-victories had extra tension, the pyramid that replace the draft can be punishing but that was true for some bad draft in the original two.

Overall, it's a great, fast, tense game with rather nice components and illustrations. It has some very good impro on the original game (yellow card and resources monopoly). Even if you ain't familiar with the base game it's an excellent 2-player game for quick plays.
>>
>>44055325

But anon that's knowledge too. Not all knowledge is sublime, most of it's very mundane, it's no less important though.

I suspect that their technological process is just optimized for boxes and cutout-boards of this size and that's it.

The problem is that I can't tell and unless you're in the business don't delude yourself that you can. If making successful board games was easy there wouldn't be so many flops.
>>
>>44052273
>This anon is right about 'Imperium I' strategy card. It slows the game terribly.
I'm telling he should use it for his first and ONLY his first game. It really puts pressure on the "VP is king" concept that people tend to forget.
>>
>>44054886
>Oh bull shit, There are games with the same fucking content that don't take up assloads of space for no reason
>Fucking love letter takes up the same space and Its only 20 some odd cards, and tokens, and its package is a red felt bag
It's also much better known and can be put on one of them metal things.
>>
>>44055325
>marking shlubs rarely use any knowledge
Part of what's destroying vidya, comics, animation, and movies is that marketing schlubs have far too much influence, really.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.