[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder Question: About Druids and Barbarians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
Pretty simple. We are playing a Pathfinder campaign but ONLY using the basic book.
The druid of our team wants to multiclass with barbarian and I was wondering if this would be a good idea and if you could help me with the ways of doing so (remember, only basic book).

Also I was wondering if it is possible to use your rage powers while in animal shape.
>>
>core only pathfinder
>CORE RULEBOOK ONLY PATHFINDER
>multi classing a caster class
The best way to build this is to quit the fucking game, and play something else.

The second best way is to just focus on wild shape fighting and just mention his character is just really angry.

Dear LORD, core rule book only pathfinder what the actually fuck is wrong with you people.
>>
>>43984729

Yeah.. I don't like it either but the GM is new and unsure about unleashing all the books on us.

I take that rage powers can't mix with wild shape at all then and this would be a terrible decision.
>>
>>43984729

Just curious, why core Pathfinder is THAT bad?
>>
>>43984767
No, you can actually. It's just that multiclassing a caster is a very, very bad idea 99.9% of the time. You lose so much more than you gain usually.
>>
>>43984787

Wouldn't be a good idea to fight with a decent shape and using the rage powers?

Of course I was against this, but he wants to do it...
>>
>>43984785
Because a lot a 3pp understand Pathfinder better than Paizo does.

Core rule book only is bad, because there aren't a lot of good OR interesting options and the good options are almost unanimously "Play a Wizard, Druid, or Cleric specializing in Save or Dies/Just dies".

The basic fighter and rogue is a fucking joke. Core only monk is literally NPC class tier.
>>
>>43984820
I mean you CAN DO IT, but it would be really,really underwhelming.

It really sucks that the game is core only there's a class/archetype combo that does "angry fuck that turns into a ball of teeth and fury" reasonably well. As well as a few third party ones that does "morphs parts of your body into animal bits to fight" that are also pretty fluff agnostic.

This is another issue I have with Core Rule Book only, so many concepts aren't really viable anymore. I really don't see how people stand it.
>>
>>43984828

TFW I'm a fighter
>>
Also our wizard is trying to play a summoner and he's not having a good time.
>>
>>43984991
What feats does he have and how is he using summoned creatures?
>>
>>43985031

We are barely at 5th lvl so he didn't use it that much.
I'm not sure, probably he took the feat to empower his summonings.

So far he's been only shooting magic darts, making the terrain messy and providing us with a place to sleep in.
>>
>>43985067
Honestly, summoning is really overhyped. Most summoned beasts are horseshit unless your a Summoner(as in the class) yourself.
> he's been only shooting magic darts, making the terrain messy and providing us with a place to sleep in.
So he's only doing one useful thing? Please tell me he's at least making scrolls,right?
>>
>>43985130

Nope
>>
>size bonus to Strength for wildshape
>morale bonus to Strength for rage
>Total +12 to Str from class abilities alone by level 19
>Possible maximum Strength of 48 by the end of the game

That's actually not a terrible idea. Bloodrager does it a bit better, of course, but for a core-only game it's pretty slick.

Ask the DM if you can choose Wild Shape options from all of the Bestiaries, that way the player could be an Allosaurus, raging and charging in with Pounce, Rend, and three primary natural attacks. You can't ask for much more than that.
>>
>>43985294
Oh, and make sure to level Druid first, stop at 8, and then take the other 12 in Barbarian.
>>
>>43985294

Now the problem is that he'll be overpowered in comparison to the rest of the players, right?
>>
>>43985368
Oh, please. /tg/'s wizard boner isn't totally unfounded. This build is exceptional at murdering things in physical combat, but that's the only role it can fill effectively. You still need a teleport monkey, trap-finder-guy, and a healer who didn't stop at Cure Critical Wounds.
>>
>>43985224
Why doesn't he play a sorcerer then? The Wizard can be either really strong or really shitty, but at least he ain't perma fucked.
>>43985294
Eh, you wouldn't have many charges for wild shape, but then again you probably won't need many. I remember PF wildshape uses scaling to be sparse as fuck.

>>43985368
Depends on the rest of the groups optimization, but from your description of the wizard you guys will tpk way before that anyway.
>>
>>43985440

Yeah but I'm a fighter and I'm not willing to give up my place.
>>
>>43985455

What kind of optimization can we have with the core book?
As far as I see the druid/barbarian thing is the only thing near a combo using that book.
>>
>>43985465
The only thing I can suggest on that front is to pick up a bow.
Or just not give a shit. The game isn't a competition on who's got the better build.
If you feel the need, though, the third option is to be the tank. That druid/barbarian's got no AC. You need to protect the poor thing.

>>43985455
1 hour per Druid level, 3 times a day. So they've got literally 24 hours by level 8. Can be boosted a bit by items, just in case the druid has to cut a couple wildshapes short in order to fit through a door or something.
>>
>>43985689
>the druids got no AC
Hah
Hah
Hah
>the fighter
>having high AC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA
>AC
>mattering past level 7
Oh man, I'm about to bust a gut.
>>
>>43986036
That dragon ain't gonna fend off itself, Anon. And the wizard's a lot more effective when he's not wasting time and/or spell slots on defending himself.
I mean, fighter's not the best at anything, including AC, but it'll do in a pinch.
>>
>>43986750
The fighter can't protect shit though. There are next to zero options(none in CRB) in pathfinder for incentivizing enemies to attack you in a meaningful and consistent way, and not the squishy support aside from the GM making enemies fight retarded. There is not tanking in Core only pathfinder.
>he's not wasting time and/or spell slots on defending himself
>Shit out several scrolls/wands of mage armor/haste/blur/invisibility for cheap
>still have slot do other shit
>other defensive spells can also work double duty, like dimension door.
>>
>>43987104

Fuck spellcasters.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.