[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like doors, /tg/? >unlocked door >unlocked door,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: Open-door-question.jpg (192 KB, 2048x3000) Image search: [Google]
Open-door-question.jpg
192 KB, 2048x3000
Do you like doors, /tg/?

>unlocked door

>unlocked door, trap that triggers when the door opens

>easy door

>easy door, trap that triggers when trying to open it without unlocking it first

>unlocked door, trap that triggers if you do anything with the lock or try to bash it

>difficult door

>difficult door, trap that triggers when the door opens

>difficult door

>unlocked door, it locks if you try to pick or bash it, and gets progressively harder the more you fail at opening it

>difficult door that can't actually be opened but seems like it should, has traps on it

>very difficult door

>very difficult door that forcefully closes and relocks itself after a single person goes through, there is no way to open it from the other side
>>
>>43978164
> unlocked door that locks if you tamper with it

I like it.
>>
Doors are fun for D&D and similarly low powered adventure, but for higher power leveled systems they just become too easy to circumvent, unless they're magical legendary plot doors sealing another dimension or something.

Challenge:
How to make an interesting door encounter for, say, a normal/high powered M&M party. Or some high powered WoD Vamps.
>>
>>43978342
>M&M
Hows this for a start:

The door leads to the villains extra dimensional fortress, but has a super-alloy iris and a bunch of passive defenses (traps) and active defenses (turrets). Pretty much a fortified stargate leading to a pocket dimension.
>>
>>43978164
Doors are only acceptable when followed by a dice roll then a dm asking a specific question related to the door
"You find a door."
"I open it."
-roll behind screen-
"Okay.....which hand do you turn the handle with?"

Let the party shitting themselves commence.
>>
File: Halfling Problems.jpg (117 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
Halfling Problems.jpg
117 KB, 333x500
>>43978164
>Do you like doors, /tg/?
Yes, I do. They allow me to exit my room without leaving the wall open for others to enter and tamper with my belongings. This is very convenient, as it allows me to leave for extended periods of time without worrying about someone ransacking my place.

There is such a thing as unnecessary doors, however. My apartment features two separate doors blocking the hallway to the bathroom (not counting my door and the bathroom's door). Opening and closing all those doors can be a hassle, and I do not see any real benefit to them. So place doors carefully and only where there is a clear need for them.
>>
File: Vanilla Ice.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Vanilla Ice.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
>>43978164
What the fuck are doors?
>>
>>43978442
Idea.

A door that opens to different places depending on hand used to open it.
The owner has four arms.
>>
>>43979968
I use my foot.
>>
>>43978164
DM here with a serious question, does anyone think the last door is a good idea? That sounds more frustrating than rewarding.

>An enchanted door that demands attention in order to open, but is lonely and will talk for ages about nothing in particular. Only ignoring it completely causes it to crack and open on the promise that you'll return. It sprinkles hints in the form of being nervous whenever someone in the party isn't talking to them.
>>
>>43979968
Add 8 more for which direction you turn the handle.
>>
>>43980600
How could you ignore it entirely while also having enough of a conversation to make a promise it will believe?
>>
>>43980600
Just bring the door with you and put it into your tavern. The door will love it, and lonely drunks just like any conversation really.
>>
>>43981538
What happens if it vomits everywhere? What if it gets so drunk i gotta takes its keys away and i can't get out or lock up? How do i handle if it hits a chicks ass on the way out and get sued for sexual harassment and assault?
>>
>>43981632
I don't think a door can do the first two things. And while the last one is plausible, good luck to the girl trying to explain how bumping into a lonely door is sexual harassment.
>>
>>43981675
I dunno man. Next town over some kid mage apprentice made a gale happen and now every chick in town who wore a skirt is getting a piece of his bank account for the next 10 years.
>>
>see a shady looking door
>someone has detect trap
>yep, it's a trap
>no one can actually disarm traps effectively
>gotta get to what's behind this fucking door

What is the best course of action?
>>
>>43978164
Ha.
I have a technical antagonist who's eclectic and loves screwing with people using traps, mostly because I love screwing with people using traps.
It's always bonus loot, though, so the players always have the choice to ditch if they want.
They never do.
>You have to step through the door backward to move forward
>The door falls into an empty room when unlocked, lifting it reveals the path forward
>Unlocking the door, even with magic, sets off a timer which causes the doorknob to detonate in 30 seconds unless relocked
>Trying to teleport past sets off a 1 hour Baleful Polymorph trap that turns the target into a chicken
Thanks for the ideas.
>>
File: 1433694294225.jpg (28 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
1433694294225.jpg
28 KB, 700x400
>>43981699
Dynamic entry through a wall next to it. Or use the fighter's head on the door.
>>
>>43981699
The fastest response is to check who has the most HP.
More likely, get a battering ram or try to blow it up and pray to the cleric's deity you're lucky (and for bonus heals).
>>
File: rood the doorforged.jpg (66 KB, 509x599) Image search: [Google]
rood the doorforged.jpg
66 KB, 509x599
>>43978164
>Door thread
>No Rood yet
>>
>>43981699
Shove the rogue in. He got us into this mess by telling us its trapped when he can't even fucking disarm it so now we're at each others throats over it. We just need a log and some rope and we'll push him through about 20 feet ahead of us for safety.
>>
>>43981699
Get a desperate urchin to do it.
>>
>>43978727
your a wise man anon
>>
>>43981765
holy shit how did i not know this was a thing im off to 1d4chan
>>
>>43980600
Hey wait one sec you're talking about those doors from Fable aren't you.
>>
W E W
E E
W E E
>>
>>43981699
knock on the door, ask politely
>>
>>43982944
I am amazed by this answer.

This should totally be the only way to dispel a magically trapped door somewhere.
>>
>>43983144
>>43982944
double 44 confirms
>>
>>43982944
>>43983144
Fuck, that's the greatest idea ever.
I have to use this now.
>>
>>43978164
>difficult door that has no handle or hinges and only covers a stone wall, trap that triggers if you DON'T open the door in 30 seconds
>>
>>43983670
In 30 seconds starting when?
>>
>>43981786
So you're conditioning your rogue to lie to you.
>>
>>43979968
>>43980631
The four armed wizard has only one door in his entire tower. Each arm used or direction a knob is turned accesses a different room of the tower.

The door has 16 knobs.

Good luck.
>>
>>43981929
That is also how we got the party wizard laid.
>>
>A difficult box with no hinges, key, nor lid, but inside golden treasure is hid.
>>
>>43983670
>trap that triggers if you DON'T open the door in 30 seconds

I walk away and come back 40 seconds later
>>
>>43985790
Well, that assumes you know about the timer.
>>
>>43985702
A gold ingot, obviously.
>>
File: item_block.png (209 B, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
item_block.png
209 B, 100x100
>>43985702
I know an answer that fits all the information provided, but it's not the one the GM was thinking of so I fail.
>>
>>43985571
>The door has 16 knobs.
I turn the knob that's on the wizard's staff.
>>
>>43985256
Well now i'm gonna have to shove him into every room encountered now regardless of circumstances.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.